Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: Opening Day

I sure don't.  Count me as the 'lurker' who very quietly will sometimes admit out loud how much I love this darn show!  Why?  Could not tell you, it's corny as all get out but I am always so excited when it is ready to start again each season.  My closest friends just humor my weird affection for it, but none watch it along with me.   ~red-faced~

• Love 3

So lets predict.  No, not who will win this show, but will America accept the second hottest female American Gladiator (after Gina Carrano), and The Bachelor's lesser known Cousin in lieu of ANY Jillian, and with less Bob (if it's true that his role has been scaled back a bit, so that he's basically doing their "Last Chance" thing now).

No comments yet?

IMO, there are Athletes and there are "athletes". I think there was some of both on this season. You can't tell me that the overweight cheerleader is at the same level as athletecism as the Olympians and pros.

At least, that was my attitude going into the season. BUT then the cheerleader beat the Olympian and the two time Super Bowl winner on her team.

Anyway, my overall point is you don't have to be an Athlete to do well on this show. You just have to have determination, drive and dedication so I think it'll be an interesting decision despite the all athlete format.

I like Jessie, but there's something going on with his team that he needs to figure out. Whether it's the diet or the work outs, but it's something. Those were some really low nuumbers for the first weigh in.

The guy who like 38 lbs. that was amazing. I also liked his reaction on the scale.

Not sure how I feel about Comeback Canyon.

• Love 3

I guess Comeback Canyon works just as well as bringing back someone midyear like they usually do.  At least the first ones out get the benefit of extra training.  I do wish Bob would eliminate the word "girl' from his vocabulary.  Zina Garrison is a 50 year old woman....she is not a girl and you never hear him talk about the boys on his teams.
I like Jessie personally but he really needs to kick up his training a notch,  When his team was on the treadmills they looked like they were moving at half the speed of the other teams.  New female trainer (name escapes me) is annoying...like she was trying to out psychoanalyze Jillian in just the first show.  But, you can't argue with results.

If I had a dime for every time I heard the word "athlete," I could pay off my mortgage.

Dolvett, you are gorgeous and I hate to criticize you, but there is no middle "a" in the word "athlete."

I do like the two new trainers a lot, and so far I like all of the contestants.  I especially like that one guy on Jessie's team.  And oh, some of the tragedies they have experienced are really sad.

• Love 4

Already with the sob stories and armchair counseling sessions. I would rather see proper exercising techniques, good eating habits, and how to deal with the stresses of daily life (not turn to feeling sorry for yourself by turning to food.) I hate they keep finding people with the sad stories, and the trainers thinking they can help them by turning them into athletes. Of course, next week we get Dr. HISaveFatPeople and his fate of doom. He is another reason we get the contestants with the sob stories because he "heals" their physical problems, and the trainers "heals" their psychological problems with exercising.

First the most important question of the season: will that opening montage of Dolvett tossing a medicine ball around under running water be on every week? Because that's my season winner right there!

I liked the new trainers. Even the Pavelka. I liked the lack of yelling. I don't like Jen's continued fear/love talk & fear I won't love her if it continues to the same extent.

Comeback Canyon is an okay concept for me & as long as it keeps Bob to a minimum I'll probably like it even more. I hate that they brought back the stupid voting cloches & the long-winded explanations of "this person". Red line for the win Biggest Loser!

IMO, there are Athletes and there are "athletes". I think there was some of both on this season.

I completely agree with you! I'd like to think the incessant athlete talk will die down but I know that's wishful thinking. It's Glory Days season, oops I mean Comeback or Second Chance or I Used To Be Fit season. Something like that. I'm still hearing Bruce Springsteen sing in my head every time one of these guys mentions their past triumphs.
  • Love 5

Damnit.  I saw Dr. Death in one of those gym scenes.

Why? Why did they have him back if they were changing up so much else?

EDIT - Oh, and he was haunting the season preview too.  At least we got to see someone yell at him.

Nice to see Ellie Kemper on tv again

Was there a commercial for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt during the broadcast (I forwarded a lot)? Or do you mean Phoenix? (or as she calls herself these days, Jen). She does have a vague resemblance to Ellie Kemper, if Ellie was in monster shape.

I have to say I am so disappointed that the show is going backwards with voting.  F#$* voting.  Red line, or death.

And finally, wasn't Baub so convincing at sounding like he's enjoying his scaled back role.  That said, I'm sure they'll make a big deal when they put him back on the ranch later in the season.

Edited by Kromm

I haven't watched in many years. I usually try the first couple of episodes but check out because I end up not caring about the contestants or the trainers (Anna Kournikova). I'll give it another shot but can't predict how long I'll stay in this time,

I hate the voting table. I agree with the others who posted "red line or die!"

The sand challenge was uncomfortable to watch.

The new trainers are not bad but Jessie's team had low (by BL standards, anyway) numbers and that can't bode well for the contestants on his team. The way they pan on Jen's rock-hard body is a little distracting.

Sad to see Zina go because she was so positive and very determined.

Hate the "I'm the youngest" chick. I expect to see much whining and excuses from her in the future. I hope to be proven wrong. I also hope that none of the mom-aged women try to mother her.

Other dislikes: Sob stories so early! One person on crutches on day one! The vomiting. Making the women wear sports bras and the men have no shirts at the scale.

• Love 2

Damian Woody only lost 7 pounds?? My cynical mind calls shenanigans. Especially since the old guy on a cast lost 38.

Jen is the Anti-Jillian where everything is love, joy and fairy dust.

I agree with the people above, bring back the red line and cut the sob stories. Let's see the menu planning, cooking, workout regimens.

• Love 4

I doubt I will follow this show this season because I really have had my fill of "the journey" and tearful men and perfectly coiffed/mani-pedi-ed/good jewelry-ed women claiming they're fat because they never do anything for themselves.  I also possess a short term memory so it's not necessary for me to be reminded more than three times that a contestant has three Olympic gold medals.

That said, I liked the new coaches.  Especially with my TV on mute.

I guess Comeback Canyon works just as well as bringing back someone midyear like they usually do.  At least the first ones out get the benefit of extra training.  I do wish Bob would eliminate the word "girl' from his vocabulary.  Zina Garrison is a 50 year old woman....she is not a girl and you never hear him talk about the boys on his teams.

I like Jessie personally but he really needs to kick up his training a notch,  When his team was on the treadmills they looked like they were moving at half the speed of the other teams.  New female trainer (name escapes me) is annoying...like she was trying to out psychoanalyze Jillian in just the first show.  But, you can't argue with results.

I totally see your point.  However, I take it that "boy" is more of a recognized, in general, (?) insult to men, than "girl" is to a woman, for some people. Even "baby girl" kind of works for me as a term of endearment. But as I got older I wanted "girl" rather than "lady" and the dreaded, "ma'am" hee.

• Love 2

I'm going to try to get into this season if I can keep the folks straight, even if some are fodder. Sorry to see Zina go so soon. She's the oldest female and I was hoping to see her for more weeks.

Agreed. Dolvett under that water was beauty.

Count me in as HATING the stupid effing vote and the stupid little reasons they give. Bleck.

Here's my take on these folks to try to keep them straight. Correct anything as needed. :)

Andrea, 244 lbs, 43 yrs. HS cheerleader, goldish, longish hair, week one pounds lost = -14 lbs

Blake, 251, lbs, 18 yrs. "Youngest chick!" blonde soccer player, -16 lbs

Chandra, 341 lbs, 26 yrs. HS basketball, light brown hair, -7 lbs

Emmy,  260 lbs     ------???? Brunette is all I know. -6 lbs

Gina, 242 lbs, 41 yrs. Tx cheerleader, long dark hair, -14 lbs

Jackie, 291 lbs, 35 yrs.  HS basketball player, -8 lbs

Lori, 301 lbs, 43 yrs. 3 X Olympian softball, - -9 lbs

Rondalee, 280 lbs, 28 yrs.    Volleyball, long dark hair, -14 lbs

Sonya, 283 lbs, 39 yrs.  Semi-pro softball, -23 lbs

Vanessa, 366 lbs, 32 yrs. WNBA one of two in Canyon comeback thing after losing ball/sand challenge due to injury, -14 lbs

Zina, 263 lbs, 50 yrs.  Tennis legend, short reddish hair, in the Canyon challenge with Vanessa. -8 lbs

Damain, 388 lbs, 36 yrs,  winner 2 super bowls, NFL lineman, pro bowler(?) week one pounds lost = -7 lbs

JJ, 392 lbs, 22 yrs.   college football, -14

Jordan, 3232 lbs, 31 yrs.  HS baseball, sort of half beard thingy, -22 lbs (3232 lbs hee. I can't recall the correct weight now).

Matt, 386 lbs. age?  football, -23 lbs

Mike, 399 lbs, 58 yrs.  "Oldest," grey hair, wrestler, soldier son, -38

Rob, 483 lbs, 26 yrs.     college rugby, -33 lbs

Scott, 366 lbs, 46 yrs.   quarterback, -23 lbs

Toma, 336 lbs, 33 yrs. Semi-pro soccer, full black beard, -20 lbs

Woody, 398 lbs, 46 yrs.  football, -10 lbs

Edited by ari333

I hate the voting table. I agree with the others who posted "red line or die!"

I bet the producers are relieved.  It would've been untenable, I'm sure, if they lost two of their biggest named ath-a-letes in the first episode.

I was saddened by Zina.  I remember watching her play when I was a youngster.  She is just such an old 50 -- and 50 is not all that old!  She just looks worn out, even before the sand dune.  I couldn't believe how close she was without finishing.  I don't think it helped that she was lying with her head below her heart on the incline.

I would not call a former high school cheerleader or former high school soccer player an "athlete" in the same way as the Olympians or semi- pro players.

I do not like the new girl trainers "fear or love". What??

Too many grieving death stories. It's why my kids call the show "the Biggest Crier".

I love Bob (sorry). :)

• Love 5

There WILL be an "It's Not A Toma" headline this season. Just telling y'all now so you can get the tar and feathers ready in plenty of time.

No tar or feathers here! My kiddos & I use that almost every time someone has a headache. It took some work, but they pretty much have Arnold's voice down & it always makes me laugh.
  • Love 1

Nice to see Ellie Kemper on tv again

Yes!  I kept thinking she looked familiar - and not from American Gladiator.  It's like seeing Ellie on 'roids.

I agree that their definition of ath-a-lete this season is pretty broad, and they seem to appreciate drama.  If you once thumb-wrestled a classmate in grade school and can ugly-cry like it's nobody's business - you're in!  Wait, let's see that belly flop over some spandex shorts.  Okay, good.

• Love 1

women claiming they're fat because they never do anything for themselves

As a fat woman I resent that sentiment so freaking much.  Way to play into stereotypes that all women are martyrs who will give and give and give to the point of physical sacrifice.  Even if they have a single female contestant with no children, she'll most likely be spewing that awful line.  DEATH TO THE FATTY MARTYR SYNDROME!!  (so says the fat childfree woman who's fat simply because she was lazy with her eating and physical movement--what?  nothing to blame but me?  *headexplode*)

Re:  cheerleader isn't a "real athelete" 

I have one question about the cheerleader (I'm too lazy to look up her backstory and missed it because I was flipping between TBL and Hell's Kitchen).  Was she a professional cheerleader or just a high school cheerleader?  If it was the former, then I'd have no problem extending the blanket of "real athlete" to cover her as well.  Professional cheerleaders work hard to maintain their bodies to remain employed and aren't given nearly enough respect for it (or pay), either. 

Now if she was only a cheerleader in highschool then I'm poo-pooing her just like I'm poo-pooing pretty much any/all contestants who's athlete claim to fame was high school.  

Damnit.  I saw Dr. Death in one of those gym scenes.

I think they should make that an aspect of the show.  Just have him randomly show up in the background, maybe lurking in the bushes.  Viewers could tweet #Where'sDrDeath when they spy him.  Maybe make it into a little contest, with the winner getting a trip to one of those Biggest Loser fat camps.

I despise Dr. Death but I love seeing him, too.  His segments are so over the top and snarkable it does my lazy heart good.  I'll eat more fruit if it's low hanging!

• Love 4

I did look up Gina very quickly on TBL site because my daughter is an All-Star Cheerleader and some of those girls (and boys) are RIDICULOUSLY talented and very, very athletic.  Gina was only a high school cheerleader and she even said in her bio she was the "fat girl" at 15 or 16.  I don't even understand why she is on this season, tbh.... 

I suspect that Damien has a lot of muscle in addition to body fat. If the team was doing primarily strength training (like pushing Jessie on that heavy heavy push thing), he may have been doing less fat shedding and more toning of his already existing muscles. His arms look like pure muscle, rather than fat. He also retired only 3 years ago, so again I suspect he's retained some muscle. I believe (but could be wrong), this could account for his low number.

Jen looks like the love child of Gillian and Emily Thorne from Revenge. Her love-fear thing is already annoying. I wish for once there would be a trainer who comes from a behaviorist point of view and talks about classical and operant conditioning, etc. but they don't teach that in armchair-psychology school.

Edited by photo fox
edited out the double post :)
  • Love 1

Jen is the Anti-Jillian where everything is love, joy and fairy dust.

To be fair, the young pink haired silver-bathing-suit wearing version of her seems to have had a fairly similar message back in the day.

Yes!  I kept thinking she looked familiar - and not from American Gladiator.  It's like seeing Ellie on 'roids.

7GdFYCg.jpg

Edited by Kromm

I liked the new trainers more than I thought I would.  However, anyone can see where Jessie's team is headed--its all women with 1 guy.  Historically female dominated teams fare worse in weight loss than the more balanced male/female teams. And as far as level of athleticism,  I was just surprised there wasn't a guy on there who had once played in the Little League World Series!  But what really surprised me was the youngest contestant, the 18 year old "high school soccer player."  She must have played in her freshman year because she is just recently out of high school, right?  

I agree with the red line--bring it back.  I didn't particularly like Andrea, but she had the second highest weight loss--didn't think it was right that she should be the first to go.  And was it just me, or did both Andrea and Chandra seem relieved to go, only to find themselves stuck with a second chance?  

• Love 2

It seemed that the red line they went with last year was a big hit with viewers. I wouldn't be surprised if, as someone alluded to above, they back pedaled on that when they discovered that it wasn't looking good for this year's Ruben and Holly. The contestants seemed surprised when Ali mentioned voting so it doesn't seem as if they knew beforehand that it would be back to the dinner trays.

I really like the idea of the Comeback Cantina, as long as the players don't know about it until they're eliminated. Plus it could be that the less successful people might really benefit from the two to one trainer ratio.

This season's drinking game: Take a hit every time Jessie utters the phrase "as a father...". Okay, you're the straight one, we got it already!

Edited by Sile
  • Love 1

ari333, this can't be healthy...

3232 pounds!  Hee.  And now I've forgotten the correct weight. All I know is he's down 22 from whatever it was. :) 

I agree with the red line--bring it back.  I didn't particularly like Andrea, but she had the second highest weight loss--didn't think it was right that she should be the first to go.  And was it just me, or did both Andrea and Chandra seem relieved to go, only to find themselves stuck with a second chance?  

I've deleted it, but Zina collapsed on the dreaded ball/sand/ hill  challenge. (Head going downhill no less, and they left her in that position for awhile !) Vanessa collapsed from a leg injury. They were the first two in the Comeback Canyon Cantina Cove thingy where Vanessa, of the two, won and Zina was booted.. Then Andrea got silver-dome-plate voted off and sent to join Vanessa in the CC. What happened to Chandra? I missed it. Tia. 

I wondered if Mike. with the torn knee, was on pain meds and duh, in pain, which makes some folks not want to eat. 38 pounds was "stunning!" (Gordon Ramsay voice here) especially for someone who couldn't work out normally, But IIR he wasn't injured for the whole week. I think it was the last 3 days, but still.

The huge dude who lost 7 pounds was a surprise. I'd think he'd lose more than that on week one. Can a person put on muscle that fast? One week?

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

So apparently the ratings stank.I predict a phone call to Jillian soon to try and get her back in time for the start of filming of the NEXT season.

You have to keep in mind that for some strange reason, this was scheduled against the premiere of the new Thursday Night Football package on CBS, plus it had Ray Rice's team playing when Ray Rice was about the biggest story in America.

• Love 2

You have to keep in mind that for some strange reason, this was scheduled against the premiere of the new Thursday Night Football package on CBS, plus it had Ray Rice's team playing when Ray Rice was about the biggest story in America.

Good point. Hopefully the ratings will do better next week.

I couldn't make it much past the sand challenge. In that short time, there was already wailing and gnashing of teeth about lost loved ones, how hot they used to be, and passing out.

Bob is there to promote the BL resorts. Although, the idea of taking in the new person and having an off-site bit doesn't stink...yet.

New trainers? Meh. Kind of plastic looking. And the camera does love to pan Jen. She's in shape, but I think kind of generic looking. "Love/Fear" what is this...a Robert Mitchum movie?

Ath-a-letes AWAAAAAAAAYYYY!

I've deleted it, but Zina collapsed on the dreaded ball/sand/ hill  challenge. (Head going downhill no less, and they left her in that position for awhile !) Vanessa collapsed from a leg injury. They were the first two in the Comeback Canyon Cantina Cove thingy where Vanessa, of the two, won and Zina was booted.. Then Andrea got silver-dome-plate voted off and sent to join Vanessa in the CC. What happened to Chandra? I missed it. Tia.

Oops, you're right.  I meant to say Vanessa and Andrea looked as if they didn't really want that second chance (Andrea had said earlier that she if she could voluntarily go home she would, then she was actually voted off).  I thought Zina was pleasantly surprised to be sent to Bob, but Vanessa's hamstring "injury" and her muscle cramps during workouts seemed a little suspicious to me.  

• Love 1

When the teaser about Bob making a belated appearance first popped up during commercials, my first guess was that there was going to be a secret fourth team that Bob would show up with on the ranch, making a big, dramatic entrance and introducing a twist.  I guess the "Comeback Canyon" thing could be okay, especially since it means that Bob isn't strutting around the ranch acting as though he's the Governor of Loservania (yet).

Like others upthread, I am already tired of the whole fear/love thing. 

• Love 1

Count me in on the red line, or at least a yellow line.
And didn't Jessie say something to Gina about being his favorite cheerleader, when Andrea was also a cheerleader?  Let's not be too honest.

I did wonder if Andrea, as a former hs cheerleader, was feeling outclassed by being up against former Olympians and professional sports players.

Jen looked a lot like Jillian, in her hair style and stance, and it seemed like she meant it to.
When I saw her against the poster on the wall, I thought it was Jillian's.
And she's too much into jargon for me.

When Bob ambushed the limo, was I the only one secretly hoping that one of the contestants had a gun, and took a shot at the hijacker?