Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Alex

• Start Topic

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 10, 9:00-9:32 p.m. EDT - Abbott Elementary: "Alex" (309)

Jacob is shocked when he finds out his colleagues are not invested in his frequent email messages and haven't even been writing their own replies. Meanwhile, Gregory turns to Janine for help with a former student.

• Like 1

Barbara of all people using AI?! I mean, it was to avoid Jacob's emails, but man, I was right that being work besties bring out the worst in her and Melissa. I got a laugh out of Jacob's face on using it on Mr. Johnson.

"What's up Autobots? Or should I say DECEPTICONS?!" was my line of the night.

Of course Janine would gather the staff for an after school meeting to announce she was taking the district job. A meeting that could've been an email, she's already perfect for the job. But since that announcement came in act 1, I knew it wasn't gonna last. Well, the look on her face at the end did say it all.

Ava finally found the perfect replacement for Janine: an exact clone of her. If the title is any indication, next week is gonna involve Ava dealing with her. And that was out of 536 applicants. I don't think there are that many people applying for teaching jobs in the state of Pennsylvania.

• Like 7
  • Fire 1

I wish Janine kept the job with the district she could help so many children. Jacob if nobody is responding to your long e-mails maybe write shorter ones. Alex and his grandma need help more than just Gregory and Janine.

• Like 22

Poor Alex. He misses Janine :(. I liked the way Gregory and Janine worked together to encourage him to come back to school. And while I do love the idea of Janine moving up in her job and having a lot more control and being in charge and all that good stuff...I'm also not surprised that she's already wavering on taking the job. She knows where her heart really belongs. 

I do love how Barbara, Melissa, and Jacob all came to hug and congratulate her when she announced she was taking hte job, though, balancing their emotions with some affectionate teasing and praise. 

But man, Jacob was NOT having a good time of it this episode, was he? Between the AI stuff (the kids razzing him about Barbara's AI response was amazing) and his bestie Janine leaving for a new job, he was just thrown into an emotional rollercoaster. 

It is interesting that Barbara would use AI, yes. But leave it to her and Melissa to be the ones to team up on that :p. 

That chant those girls were doing at the start of the episode was perfection XD. I got a really good laugh out of that. 

• Like 10
5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Poor Alex. He misses Janine :(. I liked the way Gregory and Janine worked together to encourage him to come back to school. And while I do love the idea of Janine moving up in her job and having a lot more control and being in charge and all that good stuff...I'm also not surprised that she's already wavering on taking the job. She knows where her heart really belongs. 

I do love how Barbara, Melissa, and Jacob all came to hug and congratulate her when she announced she was taking hte job, though, balancing their emotions with some affectionate teasing and praise. 

But man, Jacob was NOT having a good time of it this episode, was he? Between the AI stuff (the kids razzing him about Barbara's AI response was amazing) and his bestie Janine leaving for a new job, he was just thrown into an emotional rollercoaster. 

It is interesting that Barbara would use AI, yes. But leave it to her and Melissa to be the ones to team up on that :p. 

That chant those girls were doing at the start of the episode was perfection XD. I got a really good laugh out of that. 

I hope the show doesn't use the Status Quo is God trope. Janine is more confident since she took the district job. The little girls in the cold opening were adorable. Jacob and Janine can still be friends even if she's not at Abbott.

• Like 12
  • Useful 2

Janine has only been a teacher for a few short years, so it might be better for her to continue to teach for a few more years and then take a district job, and maybe do a district fellowship every 2-3 years

• Like 11

This doesn't really work as a suspenseful plot line for me because Janine is the main character of a show called ABBOTT ELEMENTARY. Like am I really supposed to be worried that she's going to take a permanent job that moves her away from the title setting? Hope Quinta Brunson & co. manage to surprise me, but we'll see.

• Like 15
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I really hope Janine doesn't fold and return to the classroom right away.  She's blossoming at the district and doing a lot of good work.  I loved that moment when Ava started her normal nastiness towards Janine, and instead of taking it quietly, Janine held up her hand and said no.  It kind of reminded me of the first season when she told all the little guys on the bus to sit down.  

I've been wondering if Quinta has an opportunity to film a big movie and is trying to find a way to creatively cut back on her screen time.  This shortened season, they've really been able to develop the other characters and explore other friendships within the staff. 

Although Janine is a lead character, I think Abbott Elementary could still work if she wasn't in the classroom.  

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Like 13
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Harvey said:

I had a really hard time understanding most of what the grandma said. I wish I had subtitles.

Who was the actress who played her? She looked very familiar.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I don't even know why but that made laugh HARD. I think it was Barb and Melissa's reactions to it. At one point Ms. Barbara just says, "Oh my!" and I howled. 

I really felt for Alex. In addition to missing Janine, it can't be at all easy for kids that age to have to get used to a new sub every single week. I know the succession of subs has mostly been played for laughs but Ava should have worked something more long term out to provide the kids with a bit of continuity and stability. 

• Like 15
14 hours ago, DanaK said:

Janine has only been a teacher for a few short years, so it might be better for her to continue to teach for a few more years and then take a district job, and maybe do a district fellowship every 2-3 years

Unfortunately, A lot of higher ups are only required to teach for a few short years before being eligible for leadership positions. Sometimes not even that little if somebody high up really wants them in a certain position. Remember, Gregory originally applied to be the principal of Abbott Elementary even though he had no classroom experience at all. He only became a teacher to get the minimum classroom experience. We've had several student teachers at my school that had no intention of teaching in the classroom; they were getting an education degree with the intention of writing policy and such. 🙄 😕 The superintendent of my district has no education OR classroom experience. He was our district's attorney who became Assistant Superintendent Our school board didn't want to bother with a search so they just promoted him to Superintendent. Our state legislature is getting a lot of heat right now, and very justifiably so, because they appointed a Commissioner of Education who has no education background whatsoever, and wasn't even living in our state! Believe me, Janine is very qualified for a district position.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 4
  • Angry 4
  • Useful 2

Is anyone else tired of seeing Jacob being treated differently than Janine? Jacob's feelings get hurt everyone apologizes Janine's feelings get hurt she is told to have a thicker skin. Jacob should have been told that his e-mails were too long.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I hope that if/when Janine returns to Abbot full time, she at least keeps her new wardrobe and makeup, she's been looking amazing ever since she started her new job. Janine has really been thriving at the district so I will be sad to see her go, but I can see her wanting to go back to teaching full time, at least for awhile. Plus, Abbot can hardly handle one Ava, no way can they keep functioning with two!

Barbara knowing how to use AI is the season's biggest plot twist so far.

• Like 13

It's obviously better for Alex to go back to school voluntarily, but I also thought they should have made his grandma understand that they were going to wind up in court if he missed more school. Leaving it all to the judgment of a little kid worked for now, but long run I think grandma has to be on board.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2

I was trying to figure out if Gregory and Janine would have to report something as mandatory reporters for Alex. 

I also hope Janine sticks with the district so she can make PSE changes. I know it feels less personal but the reach and potential for impact is so much higher. 

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Book Junkie said:

Unfortunately, A lot of higher ups are only required to teach for a few short years before being eligible for leadership positions. Sometimes not even that little if somebody high up really wants them in a certain position. Remember, Gregory originally applied to be the principal of Abbott Elementary even though he had no classroom experience at all. He only became a teacher to get the minimum classroom experience. We've had several student teachers at my school that had no intention of teaching in the classroom; they were getting an education degree with the intention of writing policy and such. 🙄 😕 The superintendent of my district has no education OR classroom experience. He was our district's attorney who became Assistant Superintendent Our school board didn't want to bother with a search so they just promoted him to Superintendent. Our state legislature is getting a lot of heat right now, and very justifiably so, because they appointed a Commissioner of Education who has no education background whatsoever, and wasn't even living in our state! Believe me, Janine is very qualified for a district position.

I hear you! Our school district is mostly run like a business. Our Superintendent, who did teach, has his Master’s as an MBA, not in any kind of Education. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Angry 1
2 hours ago, Pallida said:

I was trying to figure out if Gregory and Janine would have to report something as mandatory reporters for Alex. 

I also hope Janine sticks with the district so she can make PSE changes. I know it feels less personal but the reach and potential for impact is so much higher. 

I guess it could be different in different states, but in Virginia, CPS leaves "educational neglect" to the schools to deal with. I've had some pretty crazy cases related to kids never having been in school and they wouldn't take them. We do have more protocols in place to attempt to intervene and more supports (social worker, attendance teams, central office attendance officers) before going to court, and I think it rarely goes to court. And 10 absences is NOTHING compared to some students. If kids were retained for that, it'd be a huge percentage of our population, unfortunately. Usually attendance issues in elementary school are parent-related and in high school are more student-related. You do occasionally have cases like this where the parent/guardian just listens to the child and doesn't understand the ramifications of missing school.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 3
8 hours ago, Book Junkie said:

Unfortunately, A lot of higher ups are only required to teach for a few short years before being eligible for leadership positions. Sometimes not even that little if somebody high up really wants them in a certain position. 🙄 😕 

Exactly and they quickly forget what it is actually like to be in the classroom and lose touch with teacher and classroom reality. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
(edited)
On 4/10/2024 at 9:40 PM, kathyk2 said:

Alex and his grandma need help more than just Gregory and Janine.

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

It's obviously better for Alex to go back to school voluntarily, but I also thought they should have made his grandma understand that they were going to wind up in court if he missed more school. Leaving it all to the judgment of a little kid worked for now, but long run I think grandma has to be on board.

I agree. If they wind up in Family Court, I doubt that being held back will be the only outcome.  I don't know why Gregory and Janine didn't tell the grandmother that the judge might not think she's a suitable guardian for Alex.  Are there truant officers anymore?  I doubt that grandma would have showed up at court with Alex on her own, so at some point, someone from Family Services would likely have shown up at the door.

Or, alternatively, Janine and Gregory could have asked the grandmother what she thought Alex would do for a living without going to school (other than competing on The Price is Right.)   I assume if there were parents in the picture (who perhaps left for work before Alex would be able to run across the street) because  they would have figured out by now that he wasn't attending school.

On 4/10/2024 at 10:18 PM, JeanJean said:

It occurred to me that Janine would only be Alex's teacher for one year.

I think that's why she told him that no teacher would stay forever.

14 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I really felt for Alex. In addition to missing Janine, it can't be at all easy for kids that age to have to get used to a new sub every single week. I know the succession of subs has mostly been played for laughs but Ava should have worked something more long term out to provide the kids with a bit of continuity and stability. 

I agree that it isn't "fair" to the kids to have so many different substitutes.  It would have been better to have a long-term one, if they exist.  The sub who noticed Alex's absence seemed better than the other ones we've been shown.

21 hours ago, Harvey said:

I had a really hard time understanding most of what the grandma said. I wish I had subtitles.

I always watch tv with subtitles, and my tv is pretty old.  Your tv doesn't have a subtitles setting?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 5
On 4/10/2024 at 10:10 PM, kathyk2 said:

hope the show doesn't use the Status Quo is God trope. Janine is more confident since she took the district job. The little girls in the cold opening were adorable. Jacob and Janine can still be friends even if she's not at Abbott.

I don't know if Janine going back would be status quo, though.  She has grown, got confidence, has learned how to work the system.  All those things can be used to show a different Janine teaching than the one we were first introduced to in S1.  The show has been one long Janine progression.  We've seen her get contol of her class and the respect of her students, dump Tariq, get some outside friends., etc.  This is just one more step in her progress ladder.

IIRC, her fellowship was for her to test initiatives with Abbot as the testing ground.  A full time job would (actually should) mean that her role would be more widespread and not just focused on Abbott. My fear is if she stays in the district, the show would have to create reasons for her to continue interact with the Abbott crew and that could become belabored.  And the essence of Janine's character is she loves teaching. 

I did love seeing Courtney again.  She's gotten so big!

Jacob this episode was funny. 

I liked the message about AI in this one.  The lack of human interaction it promotes. And it wasn't just the Jacob/Barb/Melissa storyline but the Alex one as well, with the automated calls.  I can't help but feel there is some meta-commentary given how the AI was one of the bigger issued in the writers' strike.

This week's sub was the best one yet.

• Like 10
11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I agree that it isn't "fair" to the kids to have so many different substitutes.  It would have been better to have a long-term one, if they exist.  The sub who noticed Alex's absence seemed better than the other ones we've been shown.

We had a long-term sub when I was in 4th grade because my teacher had to have surgery. I was so sad when the sub left and my teacher returned. She'd told us she was would be in another classroom at our school that following week, but she was sent somewhere else, and I never saw her again 😔

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I can't help but feel there is some meta-commentary given how the AI was one of the bigger issued in the writers' strike.

I hadn't thought of that, but I'm sure you're right.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

We had a long-term sub when I was in 4th grade because my teacher had to have surgery. I was so sad when the sub left and my teacher returned. She'd told us she was would be in another classroom at our school that following week, but she was sent somewhere else, and I never saw her again 😔

I had a long term sub (ironically also in 4th grade), but sadly ours was more like the cavalcade of subs that have been shown here. Unfortunately, our regular teacher ended up dying of cancer mid year and our long term sub was probably meant to be the short term solution, but she had no disciplinary skills whatsoever and when my mom and some other parents came to observe, they saw kids throwing pencils around the classroom, desks being knocked over, and the sub was sitting with a small group of the kids not doing anything about it.  Luckily the superintendent listened to our parents and the class was split up in two and each group was sent to a different fourth grade teacher. 

Years later, I saw the sub again when I was in high school so she did keep her job.  

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

Seven unexcused absences is okay but eight is bad? How about more than three?

Melissa slow-cooking ribs at work. Ehhh.

A jelly bean belt. Why are they called that? Googling was not productive.

Keep your mouth shut during Showcase Showdown!

Creative problem-ignoring.

Janine's replacement was an Ava clone. Of course.

Poor Alex. He really needs someone to look out for him besides his grandma. She's not all there mentally and will likely get worse. And he should've been taught better than to run out into the street like he did. I just can't wrap my head around how it can be up to a kid whether or not they go to school.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Melissa slow-cooking ribs at work. Ehhh.

A jelly bean belt. Why are they called that? Googling was not productive.

Janine held them over at the end of the day to make her announcement. I assumed that Melissa's ribs were in the slow cooker at home and she wanted to get to them.

It was hard to see, but the jelly bean belt had jelly bean-shaped decorations on the buckle.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 4/14/2024 at 5:55 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

A jelly bean belt. Why are they called that?

On 4/14/2024 at 6:29 PM, mrsbagnet said:

It was hard to see, but the jelly bean belt had jelly bean-shaped decorations on the buckle.

I had a jelly bean barrette that looked something like this:  https://poshmark.com/listing/Fashioned-Foods-Colorful-Real-Jelly-Bean-Hair-Barrette-Earrings-Set-64ae05d0253a8cade8340183

Very colorful!

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Ok my favorite part was Ava qualifying the candidates for Janine's job by things that were the exact opposite of Janine. Hilarious. I do love how they have toned down Ava to be more professional when needed but she is still Ava. The jelly bean belt killed me.

On the same note, Janine's growth this season is also great (both professionally and style wise!). I don't care if she stays at the district or comes back to teaching. Most people don't work with their close friends, and as far as Gregory is concerned, most don't work with their significant other either.

I do give a bit of side eye to Barbara being the AI adopter.

I would love to read Mr. Johnson's newsletter.

• Like 3