Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Baptists, Catholics And An Attempted Drowning

• Start Topic

Georgie and Mandy's wedding plans pit Mary against Mandy's mom, Audrey (Rachel Bay Jones), with baby CeeCee caught in the middle, on YOUNG SHELDON, Thursday, April 4 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

Mary should just get right off her high horse about the drinking thing, considering how drunk she got in Germany.  And that George was out in the backyard, drinking a beer.

• Like 7
  • Applause 5
(edited)

There’s the old control freak Mary we’ve come to know and hate, getting CeeCee baptized behind everyone’s back. Of course Mandy’s mom is no better, doing the exact same thing.

”I have a hot wife and a Nobel Prize, I turned out fine.” Lmao! And aww that Sheldon calls Amy hot.

Speaking of Sheldon, I’m going to assume he’s staying at the dorm more because he’s avoiding George thinking that he cheated.

A spite wedding. Real mature, Mandy. Though I was on her side for most of the episode.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 12
  • Useful 1
13 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

A spite wedding. Real mature, Mandy. Though I was on her side for most of the episode.

Eh-they were going to get married anyway, might as well get even with mom and mother-in-law! 😆

• Like 16
  • Applause 2

I thought this was a great episode!  Very funny, almost like a farce.  Pastor Jeff asked the baby for a response during the baptism because Baptists usually baptize adolescents and older individuals, not babies.  When the baby cooed and he said "good enough" I split my sides!

Just as I said they should elope and get married outside a church they went and decided to do it.  The scene with Meemaw, Dale and the "spite wedding" was priceless!

• Like 12

I loved the adult Sheldon voiceover “I have a hot wife and Nobel prize, I turned out fine.“ I especially appreciate that he considers Amy hot, and that she comes ahead of that Nobel prize.

• Like 14
  • Applause 2
  • Love 8

I really liked this episode. 

I was actually thinking the wedding was a good way to show that they were not going to put up with having their parenting undermined. Neither of them cared about the church wedding, they were only doing it for their moms. Well, if the moms don't respect their own parenting, then they see there are consequences.

At the same time, I also liked that Georgie really didn't care about the baptisms one way or the other and was able to shrug it off. 

It was priceless that he and Sheldon both agreed that stealth baptism was rude, though.

• Like 15

Mandy's mother stealth baptizing made more sense (not saying it was right, just saying it made sense), because Catholics baptize babies.

Mary and Pastor Jeff shouldn't have cared whether or not the baby is baptized at this stage because as far as they're concerned it means nothing if the person hasn't chosen it.

I am glad that Mary put her foot down about Mary and Georgie not having sex in the house if they're not married.  Not a good example for Missy at all.

Glad that for Mary and George they didn't just have one time reunion sex and they're still going strong.

And for once I'm going to side with Sheldon in a rudenesess debate.  They stole his room. The least they can do is let him get his computer out.  They could have moved to Mary and George's room if they wanted to finish their private conversation.

• Like 11

I liked the similarity between CeeCee getting baptized and Sheldon's computer getting upgraded. I wonder if Sheldon would have been able to sympathize with the baptism objections otherwise, since he considers religion to be meaningless.  

Sheldon removing and replacing Georgie's baptism was cute. "Put it back!". I guess Georgie does believe.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I am glad that Mary put her foot down about Mary and Georgie not having sex in the house if they're not married.  Not a good example for Missy at all.

They have a baby. I think the cat is out of the bag. The bigger issue is poor Missy having to hear other people having sex, which will still be an issue if they're married. It not going to be any less awkward or disruptive for Missy just because the couple in question got married. Mandy and Georgie should be more respectful of the fact that they are in a house jam packed with people and be quiet.

Really, they need to get out of the Cooper house! Missy and Sheldon, who are both children, are both being put upon with no one defending them or looking out for them while two grown adults who have incomes are mooching off the family. Making sure Cece is someone safe is important but that is Georgie and Mandy's responsibility not the rest of the Coopers and it would be nice to see George and Mary remember they have two minor children who have had their lives totally disrupted and maybe do some actual parenting instead of being lazy (George) or a busybody (Mary.)

• Like 15
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

At the same time, I also liked that Georgie really didn't care about the baptisms one way or the other and was able to shrug it off. 

But at the same time, when Sheldon "unbaptized" him he was all "put it back!" Maybe he considers it some kind of insurance for himself.

• Like 10
40 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Making sure Cece is someone safe is important but that is Georgie and Mandy's responsibility not the rest of the Coopers and it would be nice to see George and Mary remember they have two minor children who have had their lives totally disrupted and maybe do some actual parenting instead of being lazy (George) or a busybody (Mary.)

I loved your whole post but I wanted to thank you for using my "humorous old fashioned word of the week", "busybody".  I heard it last week on one of those retro 1970s shows and it gave me a chuckle because it's something I don't hear that often anymore.  And yes, Mary IS a "busybody", LOL.  😉

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I thought this was a great episode!  Very funny, almost like a farce. 

I thought the episode was a preview of the Georgie and Mandy show and was kind of boring.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, appositival said:

I liked the similarity between CeeCee getting baptized and Sheldon's computer getting upgraded. I wonder if Sheldon would have been able to sympathize with the baptism objections otherwise, since he considers religion to be meaningless.  

Sheldon removing and replacing Georgie's baptism was cute. "Put it back!". I guess Georgie does believe.

I wonder if the only reason that Sheldon was mad about the computer is that the computer kept winning at chess. I’m also wondering if his roommate (a computer major) mentioned something in the past, Sheldon somewhat agreed and then his roommate went ahead and upgraded the computer thinking he was helping Sheldon. 

re the baptisms, I know that we’re watching 1990s Texas, but I wonder if the grandmas would be able to get away with that today. With Georgie not caring about the baptisms, I’m guessing that he probably wouldn’t be a regular church goer if he didn’t live at home, but he believes in God and doesn’t mind that Cece is baptized because she probably would get so eventually. 

• Like 4

I think Mandy's mom's rush to baptize the baby as a Catholic was because if they didn't get married in the Catholic church they would not have to promise to raise the child as a Catholic, while non-Catholics marrying Catholics have to make that promise if they get married in the Catholic church.

12 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

re the baptisms, I know that we’re watching 1990s Texas, but I wonder if the grandmas would be able to get away with that today. With Georgie not caring about the baptisms, I’m guessing that he probably wouldn’t be a regular church goer if he didn’t live at home, but he believes in God and doesn’t mind that Cece is baptized because she probably would get so eventually. 

I think he might mind if he were to be made to promise to raise the child as a Catholic.

• Like 5

😂😂😂😂 A spite wedding!! I love it😂😂😂😂😂 

I knew it was heading there the minute Mary realized "wrong church". And as for the dueling secret baptisms, I saw Archie Bunker do it and its been a trope ever since.

It was a cute episode, and I like the actor who plays Mandy's dad, but its not making me want a Mandy & Georgie show.

• Like 16

I apparently don't follow entertainment news and had no idea there was a Georgie Mandy spinoff in the works. I'm not sure it is necessary unless they get Jerry O'Connell to do the voiceovers ala Jim Parsons. 

As a longtime atheist (however former Catholic) I wouldn't care if my parents baptized my kid because it doesn't mean anything to me. I found it interesting that Georgie viewed it as a "just in case" kind of thing vs Mandy who felt it was interfering in her parenting. It is interesting in that it reflects the  the way they were both raised in that Georgie kind of just does what he wants and mostly gets away with it since Sheldon is the golden child and Mandy, as the only child, was probably kept on a short leash. Even now, as an almost 30 year old woman, she's still treated as a child. It also reflects that she was probably raised in the church including the CCD and Confirmation. 

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, mammaM said:

I like the actor who plays Mandy's dad, but its not making me want a Mandy & Georgie show.

I have never warmed up to the Mandy character. She is not really funny or quirky or even interesting to me. She seems sour and gloomy most of the time.  And since Georgie has become a father and engaged to Mandy, his character seems to have 'flattened out'.  His funny appealing side seems to have vanished. I guess it is good he is serious about his new family, but I don't find the character entertaining any more.  I wish the Mandy and Georgie show well, but I don't intend to watch it a show mainly about them.   

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

”I have a hot wife and a Nobel Prize, I turned out fine.” Lmao! And aww that Sheldon calls Amy hot.

That statement gave me pause also.  I can't say I would consider Amy hot, but I know I've heard people say that she is.  It's nice that there are people with different tastes.  The time I thought she looked best was when she was playing doctor with Sheldon, dressed up in an original series Star Trek uniform.

I wonder if Missy or any of the others are going to be guest stars on the new spinoff, and if so how often?

Sheldon was almost an afterthought in this episode, which is kind of how the show has evolved to.  Which is fine. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Mary could lighten up about the drinking at the wedding, we all saw how much beer she chugged in Germany! This was a fun episode, the dueling baptisms were so ridiculous and rather offensive that it turned around and became hilarious. Its probably a lucky thing that neither Georgie or Mandy care all that much about religion or this would have probably been a much bigger fight. 

If Mary and Mandy's mom had just talked about it they could have pretty easily agreed on CeeCee being baptized in the Catholic church, Baptists don't even baptize people until they get older while its a big deal to baptize babies in the Catholic church, but of course both of them are ridiculously stubborn so a compromise was probably not going to happen that easily. 

Awww Sheldon called Amy hot AND listed her before his Nobel Prize! Narrator Sheldon really has grown! 

"Jesus drank wine!"

"He probably needed it to deal with the likes of you!" 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 7
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

I am glad that Mary put her foot down about Mary and Georgie not having sex in the house if they're not married.

@Katy M....I think you mean Mandy and Georgie here.  Unless this show is taking a really outre and risque turn.  She did lust after Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing, who greatly resembles Georgie, sooooo......  😆🤣😂

I liked the little interactions between Georgie and Sheldon, both of them feeling violated by the actions of others who thought they were doing things for their own good.  Mandy's dad cracks me up.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

"When you say hurtful stuff like that you sound a little like your mother."

Oh, Georgie. Nailed it. The kid is trying so hard to be a stand-up guy, looking for the good in people and the situation he finds himself in. But, Mandy IS just like her mother ... which is why this relationship is doomed, and why the spinoff seems so unappealing to me.

Now, a season or two of not-dead George, Dale, and Mandy's dad (whose name I can never remember) swilling beer and commenting on the world around them could be loads of fun.

Or the Geezer Bus from several seasons ago ...

But nobody asked me, doggone it. 🙂

• Like 11
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

I am glad that Mary put her foot down about Mary and Georgie not having sex in the house if they're not married.

@Katy M....I think you mean Mandy and Georgie here. 

The writers should have given the Mandy character a name that is not so similar to Mary and Missy.  Other posters here have made this mistake before.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

One more thing ...

Got a case of the sads when Jim (that's Mandy's dad's name 😀) mentioned something to the effect that the only thing he cared about was having the chance to walk her down the aisle.

'Cause George and Missy will never have that chance ...

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 6
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

If Mary and Mandy's mom had just talked about it they could have pretty easily agreed on CeeCee being baptized in the Catholic church, Baptists don't even baptize people until they get older while its a big deal to baptize babies in the Catholic church, but of course both of them are ridiculously stubborn so a compromise was probably not going to happen that easily. 

Yeah, that compromise was definitely not going to happen.  I wasn't even aware that Baptists were "sprinklers", as they say.  I thought they were going to full dunk the baby.  Even Pastor Jeff said it was irregular to baptize an infant, so I'm not sure how realistic that scene was.

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think Mandy's mom's rush to baptize the baby as a Catholic was because if they didn't get married in the Catholic church they would not have to promise to raise the child as a Catholic, while non-Catholics marrying Catholics have to make that promise if they get married in the Catholic church.

Ah, thank you.  Granted I wasn't paying much attention but I couldn't understand what the rush to have the baby baptized had to do with the feud over Mandy and Georgie getting married in a Church.  Unless there's something about the whole out of wedlock thing, I didn't think her not being baptized would prevent her parents from being married in a church.  They're two different sacraments, two different ceremonies.   

And agree, the spite wedding was the only way to resolve the issue.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Driad said:

The writers should have given the Mandy character a name that is not so similar to Mary and Missy.  Other posters here have made this mistake before.

Well, if Mary and Georgie were having sex, I really really would have needed her to put her foot down about it.  LOL.

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

I can't say I would consider Amy hot, but I know I've heard people say that she is.

I suspect Sheldon considers Amy hot because of her huge intellect. When Riki Lindhome was on the show he did not appear to be attracted to her in the slightest (and yes, she was being creepy, but that was lost on him also). He doesn't react to women the way most men do.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

I suspect Sheldon considers Amy hot because of her huge intellect. When Riki Lindhome was on the show he did not appear to be attracted to her in the slightest

Is Riki Lindhome hot?

I was entertained, and love that only Memaw & Dale are invited to the "Spite Wedding".   If they actually go through with it, they solve a lot of problems.  Of course the moms are going to be pissed off no matter what!

Now they just need to get Georgie, Mandy & CeCe in their own place.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

Now they just need to get Georgie, Mandy & CeCe in their own place. 

Yes, there should at least be an occasional line that they are trying to get a place. Maybe several local buildings were damaged by the tornado, so fewer apartments are available, and landlords have raised rents higher than Georgie & Mandy can afford.  Could they buy a trailer and put it in a relative's yard?

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
12 minutes ago, Driad said:

Yes, there should at least be an occasional line that they are trying to get a place. Maybe several local buildings were damaged by the tornado, so fewer apartments are available, and landlords have raised rents higher than Georgie & Mandy can afford.  Could they buy a trailer and put it in a relative's yard?

Yes, a trailer for Georgie, Mandy, & CeCe in someone's yard would be very appropriate for the show's setting. The overcrowded house jokes have run their course. 

I assumed the atypical Baptist baptism (sprinkling and infant) was related to the Pastor still feeling guilty about having let his wife keep MeMaw's found money after the tornado.
But I thought I read about infant sprinkling baptisms being permitted in times of war (maybe WWI?) when the baby's likelihood of survival was small. I thought it wasn't Catholic, but maybe it was.🤷🏻‍♀️

But it was probably just supposed to be a funny reflection on a lot of the shenanigans that go on in the name of religion.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, possibilities said:

It's very much who Georgie is. He does not care about religious dogma. He wants his child to grow up to be a good person with values, but does not seem to have strong feelings about whether to raise the child Baptist or Catholic. He saw the positive in the situation; both grandmothers cared about their granddaughter.

15 hours ago, mammaM said:

I saw Archie Bunker do it and its been a trope ever since.

I was waiting/wondering if someone was going to mention Archie Bunker. Nice to know that someone else remembers the classics.

Mandy and Georgie missed the obvious compromise. Have a secular officiant like a judge/justice of the peace, with friends and family there to see it and Mandy's father walking her down the aisle.

That said, I understand Mandy's decision to demonstrate that there will be consequences for unwanted interference.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Mary could lighten up about the drinking at the wedding, we all saw how much beer she chugged in Germany! This was a fun episode, the dueling baptisms were so ridiculous and rather offensive that it turned around and became hilarious. Its probably a lucky thing that neither Georgie or Mandy care all that much about religion or this would have probably been a much bigger fight. 

I didn't think Georgie or Mandy knew about the baptisms and if they had I don't think they would have just shrugged them off and not cared about them.  I don't think they would have wanted either of them to happen, especially for the reasons they happened.

I really disagree that Mary would ever have agreed to having the child baptized as a Roman Catholic and Baptists take baptism very seriously and often don't like Roman Catholicism in general.  In fact Mary herself is recorded on BBT as having a low view of Catholics and that's not uncommon among people of certain Protestant faiths, especially Baptists.  Once the child is baptized in a faith it is of that faith and so Mary would have been very upset at even the thought of her grandchild being a Roman Catholic even if it could be "undone" later.  Religious people generally don't take a pragmatic attitude to things like that.

• Like 5
56 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

It's very much who Georgie is. He does not care about religious dogma. He wants his child to grow up to be a good person with values, but does not seem to have strong feelings about whether to raise the child Baptist or Catholic. He saw the positive in the situation; both grandmothers cared about their granddaughter.

In my experience, people with Georgie's values usually want their children to decide for themselves whether they will have a faith at all and which one it will be.  But that doesn't mean he or Mandy would be OK with the child being raised in a particular religious faith.  They may not want the child to be a part of any religious faith until they become old enough to decide that for themselves.  So I don't think that they would just be so laissez-faire about the child being baptized and raised either Baptist or Catholic.

• Like 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, rmontro said:

Is Riki Lindhome hot?

1. That is my opinion (YMMV).
  2. That was the only actress I could think of on short notice that appeared to be attracted to Sheldon (again YMMV).
  3. Sheldon wasn't attracted to any female characters besides Amy, and Leonard's mom (also brilliant), as far as I recall.
Edited by appositival
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
  1. That is my opinion (YMMV).
  2. That was the only actress I could think of on short notice that appeared to be attracted to Sheldon (again YMMV).
  3. Sheldon wasn't attracted to any female characters besides Amy, and Leonard's mom (also brilliant), as far as I recall.

Oh for sure, Sheldon's biggest turn ons were of the mind, not any primarily physical attraction.  I remember when Amy would say something brilliant that really impressed him he would say something funny like, "Say that again and I'll take you on the table right here", LOL.

And Rikki L. and other Sheldon-pursuers' motives were always a little suspect if you ask me so I hear you about saying she "appeared" to be attracted to him.,

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

As a kid I was raised Catholic and my parents were weekly churchgoers. I was always taught that if you don’t get baptized you can’t go straight to heaven and you have to spend many years in purgatory first. My Grandmother did exactly what Mandys Mom did to Cecee to my first cousins child. 

Edited by aqusdealer
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

As a kid I was raised Catholic and my parents were weekly churchgoers. I was always taught that if you don’t get baptized you can’t go straight to heaven and you have to spend many years in purgatory first. My Grandmother did exactly what Mandys Mom did to Cecee to my first cousins child. 

And……?
If you have time, is there anything you can tell us about the reactions that are similar to this episode?
Like: Did anyone freak out? Or was it just kind of a "whatevs" sort of reaction, like Georgie's?
Or maybe it was kept secret from the parents for decades?🤔

18 hours ago, Driad said:

Could they buy a trailer and put it in a relative's yard?

I like that, since Memaw's yard is right across the street. If they can get a double wide, it might fit on the existing pad.

Or they could get an Airstream and travel around the country solving crimes. I might watch a spinoff about that.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6

If Georgie and Mandy buy a trailer, it might cost more than renting an apartment, but they would have equity, so their relatives might be more inclined to help than they would for rent.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, appositival said:

If they can get a double wide, it might fit on the existing pad.

1 hour ago, Driad said:

If Georgie and Mandy buy a trailer, it might cost more than renting an apartment, but they would have equity, so their relatives might be more inclined to help than they would for rent.

I was picturing a travel trailer parked in or next to the driveway, up on blocks.
But, yeah, this sounds terrific:

4 hours ago, appositival said:

Or they could get an Airstream and travel around the country solving crimes. I might watch a spinoff about that.

• LOL 1

I know the spin-off has already been announced and was probably a done deal before this episode was written. That being said, did this episode feel a bit like a back-door pilot to anyone else? It's the network essentially saying "here's a taste of the Georgie and Mandy show, be sure to tune in next season for more."

• Like 3
(edited)

I find Mandy's mother extremely unpleasant, enough that I really hope she's not on the spin off and was actually disappointed when she and Mandy reconciled during this episode.

Mary may  be dogmatic and unreasonable at times, but she is still warmer and more supportive and generally kind than Mandy's mother. When it really counts, Mary is there for the people who need her and she isn't a total downer,

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 6