Type keyword(s) to search

The Hosts: Bergeron and Andrews

• Start Topic

Erin's first season was pretty good, I thought. Or maybe it's just that the bar was so low after Brooke.

But the longer Erin is on, the more annoying I find her. This week was the new low for me. The way she was badgering Alek and Emma about going on a date, just made me cringe. She seemed to think it was cute and funny, but to me, it bordered on that kind of teasing that's a veiled type of bullying.

I don't know who would be a better replacement, but a rotating cast of co-hosts could be good-- eliminated pros, former contestants like Carson Kressley or the aforementioned Leah Remini. Heck, my dog would probably be a more charming co-host.

• Love 1

Brooke started off better than Sam and devolved; Erin started off better than either of them and is devolving.  There's something about what the producers are forcing these women to do onscreen that causes them to start looking like robotic idiots.

• Love 3

Anger at Scientologists?

I think Leah has a great sense of humor and can think quickly on her feet.  The time she did the job she seemed to be down to earth and connected with the contestants.  So, that's what I mean by what she brings to the role.  

I actually liked Sam, never liked Brooke (even in her season), so I was happy to see Erin. But now I am meh on her.  The revolving guest hosts sounds good.  Tom could probably do it alone, but he can't be two places at once.

In a word...she was "AMAZING"  (drink)

I loved when Tom remarked "For those of you who are drinking at home, that was another 'amazing'" (although I think the "amazing" that sparked the remark came from the judges, not from Leah). I've always admired his quick wit.

Edited by St. Claire

In a kind of backwards way... Tom is the main reason I DESPITE the UK version of this show.  If you take all this nonsense and REMOVE Tom, it's close to worthless. Watching Strictly Come Dancing proves that.  Especially with that annoying old man they used to have hosting (until this last season apparently, when he was so senile they couldn't even pretend with him anymore).

Tom Tweeted a Get Well Soon message to Tamar earlier today.

He also said the show's Producers are "looking at all possibilities" regarding how to handle Alexa's elimination Monday night followed by Tamar's medical withdrawal last night/earlier today, since that (likely) means they're now 1 elimination ahead of where they should be going into this Monday's show. He also asked his followers, perhaps rhetorically, if they had any favorites.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tom_Bergeron/status/664485085790388225?p=v

(Also, Tamar's Co-Hosts on The Real today were talking about her being in the hospital for part of Monday's show, but they didn't seem to know Tamar had withdrawn from DWTS at the time today's show was taped; they gave out her & Val's voting phone number like they were still in the show)

Edited by BW Manilowe

That's really interesting, but I assume it would be unprecedented for them to invite Alexa back. If they did, she'd be coming with a disadvantage, having missed however many days of rehearsal, not to mention Mark having to choreograph something in a rush.

I'd love to see her come back, but I'd be surprised if she did. 

But Tom seems like such a great guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he were talking to TPTB to see if they could do something.

There are only two weeks left. They don't have enough time to have a non-elimination next week, an elimination, then the finale. Now if they get ABC to agree to another Tuesday show next week it would be possible. Dance Monday with Alexa, elimination Tuesday night, regular finale plans the week after. But I think that's a long shot.

It's more likely they'll take a 3 person finale instead of 4.

Edited by Saylii

Erin was awarded $55 MILLION in her "Peeping Tom/Stalker"-related lawsuit against a Nashville area franchised Marriott Hotel & her stalker, who was jailed awhile back for messing with the peephole to the door of her room, after making a reservation for himself & asking for a room near hers, so he could film her in her room while she was naked after showering, after which he uploaded said videos to the Internet, which caused her severe emotional distress.

The stalker was found liable for paying Erin 51% of the damages awarded, or over $28 million; the Marriott franchise owner involved was found liable for 49% of the damages awarded, or over $26 million.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/erin-andrews-nude-video-lawsuit-55-million-1201724545/

• Love 2

I'm very happy for her. The clips of her testifying were very powerful and her strength shone through. I was proud of her. Obviously the asshole who taped her won't be able to pay his part, but having to try will bankrupt him. I think that's a fair outcome for him.

• Love 7

She might have been awarded 55 million but she'll never get that much. The perv that violated her privacy doesn't have that kind of money and the hotel will appeal. Add to that lawyer fees and court costs--if she manages to get 8-10 million she'll be doing well. And she deserves every dime, IMO.

• Love 1

Apparently because she was awarded for emotional distress, she'll have to pay taxes on whatever she collects. That's such a weird law, but either way, the best part of this is the asshole stalker will be financially ruined as a result. As for the Marriott, the more I learn about the case, the happier I am that they too were found responsible. There were clear security/privacy breakdowns that led to the stalker having access to her room.

• Love 1

Marriott wasn't held responsible at all.  It's a holding company that owned the franchise, and that is who is on the hook for the "hotel" half.

I hope that Erin is emotionally okay to be on air this season, what a hellish mess, I'm so happy that she prevailed.

The video was made public in 2009.  She seems to have been fine in all of the time since then, including appearing on DWTS and then working as a "host" in addition to her job in the sporting world.  Why would she all of a sudden not be "emotionally okay" to appear this season?

• Love 1

Wow

Just because she hasn't had some kind of public breakdown and has been able to do her job doesn't mean she's been OK. She was violated in the worst possible way by a repulsive creep and in a very public manner, and just had to relive it all over again in another very public way.

• Love 13

But the defense made an interesting point in that after all that business, she became more popular and got better job offers.  One has to wonder if, despite all the nastiness of the idiot stalkier, if this terrible incident did her some good with all the publicity.  After all, a lot of celebrities feel that even bad publicity is better than no publicity at all.  Even Erin, herself, said that her income and job offers escalated right after this incident.  

I did find it interesting to see how she presented herself on the witness stand.  Very plain Jane, hardly any makeup, frumpy clothes and hair pulled back.  She looked more like those stereotypical small town librarians than a sexy women who hosts DWTS.  Of course, this was a planned thing by her defense team to make her more sympathetic to the jury.  

I agree that she won't see nearly the amount she was awarded---if she sees anything at all.  The holding company will keep this in court for years and the idiot stalker doesn't have a dime and we all know you can't milk an empty container.  What hacks me off is when you compare this to the Hulk Hogan suit.  He willingly participated in a sexual act with the wife of a friend, and although he didn't know he was being recorded, he still did the deed with no apprehension.  Erin had an expectation of privacy in her hotel room, yet she'll have to go through years and years of reliving the incident as the courts drag this on and on.  

• Love 1
What hacks me off is when you compare this to the Hulk Hogan suit.  He willingly participated in a sexual act with the wife of a friend, and although he didn't know he was being recorded, he still did the deed with no apprehension.  Erin had an expectation of privacy in her hotel room, yet she'll have to go through years and years of reliving the incident as the courts drag this on and on.

As far as I'm aware, the similarity is neither person consented to having these acts filmed and then subsequently made publicly available. It's one thing to consent to a sexual act with someone, but IMO there's a reasonable expectation that if I do I that that encounter stay between me and the person I consented with unless I consent to more, ie: being filmed and/or having that recording made available to others. Neither Erin or Hogan consented to being filmed or having that film made public.

The difference is that the website that distributed Hogan's tape was served a court order to take it down (and issue an apology?) and they made a whole public statement that they wouldn't and even outlined the reasons why. It was made worse because they were actively condemning the sexualization of female celebrities like Erin (or Jennifer Lawrence, who was part of the phone photo hack) yet hosting and presumably receiving ad money for hosting Hogan's video.

Hogan's been working pretty much as long as Erin on damage control - Erin's stalking event happened in 2008, Hogan's was in 2012. The difference between the two is more a personal thing; Hogan's acted like he's going to get his justice and call it good (h was awarded $115million in damages) whereas Erin has filed several different suits (against the guy that filmed her, against the hotel franchise, to get the video removed) and also used it to spearhead legislation on anti-stalking laws. Where Hogan seems like he just wants to move on, Erin's been the one that's kept pursuing her case. I can't fault her for it (and I'm glad she's trying to get good out of it), but I also can't really feel bad for her having to relive it when she's not necessarily trying to put it behind her, either.

As far as I'm aware, the similarity is neither person consented to having these acts filmed and then subsequently made publicly available. It's one thing to consent to a sexual act with someone, but IMO there's a reasonable expectation that if I do I that that encounter stay between me and the person I consented with unless I consent to more, ie: being filmed and/or having that recording made available to others. Neither Erin or Hogan consented to being filmed or having that film made public.

The difference is that the website that distributed Hogan's tape was served a court order to take it down (and issue an apology?) and they made a whole public statement that they wouldn't and even outlined the reasons why. It was made worse because they were actively condemning the sexualization of female celebrities like Erin (or Jennifer Lawrence, who was part of the phone photo hack) yet hosting and presumably receiving ad money for hosting Hogan's video.

Hogan's been working pretty much as long as Erin on damage control - Erin's stalking event happened in 2008, Hogan's was in 2012. The difference between the two is more a personal thing; Hogan's acted like he's going to get his justice and call it good (h was awarded $115million in damages) whereas Erin has filed several different suits (against the guy that filmed her, against the hotel franchise, to get the video removed) and also used it to spearhead legislation on anti-stalking laws. Where Hogan seems like he just wants to move on, Erin's been the one that's kept pursuing her case. I can't fault her for it (and I'm glad she's trying to get good out of it), but I also can't really feel bad for her having to relive it when she's not necessarily trying to put it behind her, either.

Sorry for the OT but, regarding the bolded, Hulk was awarded another $25.1 MILLION today in punitive damages. His total award is now OVER $140 MILLION.

Sorry for the OT but, regarding the bolded, Hulk was awarded another $25.1 MILLION today in punitive damages. His total award is now OVER $140 MILLION.

Yeah, I saw that after my post. Honestly, I'm not even mad because Gawker is awful and if you deliberately go against a court order to remove ethically and morally ambiguous and stolen content you deserve to be punished hard. Not that I really think Hogan deserves that much, but I do think Gawker deserves to be punished for being beyond douchey. For a company that's only worth something like $300million anyway that's going to hurt.

IMO it's different than Erin going after the hotel franchise, mostly because the hotel made mistakes but it's not like they advertised her stay and then volunteered to drill the hole into her room, give the guy a camera, and then hosted the video on their website.

I'm not trying to compare monetary value on either event, but I think everyone generally agrees thatboth were wronged and both deserve whatever the jury decides to award.

I am glad Erin Andrews won her suit because I think her privacy was violated and she was genuinely harmed.  But I just don't like her hosting this show.  

She strikes me as socially awkward in a way.  Her sense of humor is off somehow ... she doesn't quite seem to get other people's jokes.  At least not well enough to be a host of anything.  I find myself cringing when she is talking sometimes because it can be uncomfortable.  It often seems like the guest star dancers she is talking to are much more polished than she is and they are having to contend with a non-pro and it's awkward.  And she talks about herself too much.  Her interviews sometimes feel like she is only inquiring about the thoughts and feelings of the person she is talking to as an afterthought because her first focus is her own experience.  But I don't care about her experience ... I want to hear about theirs. 

She might be fine hosting some other kind of show, but I would prefer someone a bit more polished and sophisticated in her role on DWTS. 

Lord. I'm glad she won her suit too, because she deserved to. But that doesn't make her any less awful on this show.  Episode 1 of this season seemed to set a new low (and it was already damn low).  

They need to maybe use one of the ex-pro women, someone who can speak well like maybe Kym. That CAN'T lead to worse results than Mumblemouth McAndrews. 

Edited by Kromm

I love Erin. I thought she was very strong in dealing with Mischa, who looked ready to cry. She's not as polished as Tom but she fills a role well. She manages to keep the Skybox light and fun even after not so great dances and she seems to spend time talking to the contestants during the week, pumping them up and getting to know their worries. She does much better with live TV snafus than either Brooke or Sam ever did. (I honestly don't even remember Lisa.) I'd be sad if she was replaced.

• Love 7

Erin's role is incredibly thankless and I think would suck the life out of many hosts, no matter how skilled and quick otherwise. She's also constantly being steered by TPTB to uphold a certain agenda in her questions, far as I understand. So it's not like she has free reign. For the circumstances she does quite well IMO. And yeah, she somewhat saved the situation with Mischa, and has often shown good instincts and judgement when it comes to dealing with things like that and not letting it escalate and get ugly. In the moment with Mischa something different than Brooke's patented "How do you feel?" was needed, for example, and she was able to provide it.

Edited by katha
  • Love 4

I prefer Erin for the simple reason that I think the sportscaster vibe/experience plays off of Tom better than a talking head who just reads cue cards (Brooke) or someone who is similar to Tom and tries to bring more jokes.

I think Erin is best at "reading the room" so to speak, and adjusting.

• Love 5

I love Erin. I thought she was very strong in dealing with Mischa, who looked ready to cry.

I can't remember much of Erin's season but she was paired with Maks which means it's guaranteed that his dances is going to make Len fussy with him and indirectly to her.  So she can relate with Mischa being down and out especially since the routine's faults lie a lot more on Artem than on her.  Also I think the highlight reel of rehearsals at the end of the season with Tom shows how much they get along in real life.  Never saw anything of the sort with Brooke et al.

IMO it's different than Erin going after the hotel franchise, mostly because the hotel made mistakes but it's not like they advertised her stay and then volunteered to drill the hole into her room, give the guy a camera, and then hosted the video on their website.

If you read anything on Erin Andrews' filing and subsequent lawsuit at all, you'd know that the stalker also filmed ten other women through their hotel room peephole. Luckily he was caught before he could upload those videos to the Web as well.

She's brave. It takes a lot of courage to stand up and fight for justice, especially when it was highlighted in court testimony that hotel and front desk security was so lax that the stalker managed to obtain information from the computer at the hotel concierge's desk. Those who rip Erin Andrews to shreds fail to comprehend that she just gave the hotel industry 55 million reasons to clean up their act.

• Love 10

I enjoy Erin and her awkward humour on the show. Once in a while she'll have a great joke without being too controversial for TV (like Leah Remini, whom I really enjoy but a lot of people find to be too aggressive). Much better than the previous hosts.

• Love 3

While so much of what any TV personality says and does is pre-fabricated and necessarily phony/contrived to fit narratives, Erin is unusually real.  One of the early criticisms of her as she started out in Florida was that she actually really, really cared about the hockey team she was covering.  She truly loves sports, in general.   Having worked in that arena, I can tell you that she is absolutely more genuine than most all the pretty face reporters we see.  I am NOT saying she is a journalist or anything close to that.  yet, when she gushes about this or that, she isn't just mouthing platitudes or front-running - she genuinely appreciates the feats and efforts she is describing.

I find her to be much the same on DWTS.  She reeeeeeeeally loves all the dressing up and art and artifice of the dance as presented.  We just saw her gushing on about how wonderful the Disney mythology is to her.  There is not one bit of phoniness or synergistic convenience in her when it comes to Disney.  It is very, very real to her. She put absolutely everything she had into it when she competed and it mattered to her that she do well.  A lot.   Maybe it was easier for her to do that since she had no kids or health issues, but darned if she didn't put her very soul into performance.

The contrast between her and the plastic Samantha and Brooke could not be more striking.  Erin is entirely refreshing to me on the most "orange" production in all of TV.  Her incessant pleas for the boys to go shirtless?  It may be impolitic, or even disgusting.  It is also quite genuine.  I bet she speaks for a huge portion of the female audience, too.

Is she awkward?  Yup.  Thank goodness she is not the robot her predecessors were.  YMMV.

• Love 9

I appreciate Erin's sense of humor a lot. People are very diverse, so no, she won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I prefer watching her to Brooke (who seemed very nice, but not as skilled at coming up with anything to say that was unscripted.)

As to Erin filing the civil suit, good for her. No one, man or woman, should have had their privacy violated in that manner, and it is often very difficult for people who have gone through something like that (especially as publicly as she did) to decide to pursue justice rather than let it drop. That is why many people who are sexually assaulted either don't file charges or file them much later. You certainly don't have to like Erin, but I think acknowledging that it was probably no picnic and it took a lot of resolve might be in order.

Overall, I don't personally know any of these people, and people are complex. I try not to label people as good or bad or whatever, but rather point out the traits I admire in them and the ones I dislike. (Yeah, and sometimes I fail miserably at doing that.) I certainly think Erin is mentally strong.

• Love 4

Speaking of Erin, I stumbled upon an interview she did with HuffPost Live back in February on YouTube. She naturally talks about a lot of topics, but one thing I found particularly interesting is when she talked about Derek. The interviewer of course brought up how much he's won over the years and Erin, to her credit, copped to her bitterness during the season she competed, with regard to Nicole Scherzinger. 

I remember there were many posters who did not like Erin during her season and said she was petty about Nicole and some would even mention how all these years later she still sounded bitter. So I give her props for owning up to it. She went as far as admitting that yes, she was jealous because Nicole was so good and that she actually could not stand Nicole or Derek because she was that bitter. She also said she was sort of whatever about their winning and Derek's abilities because she felt like, "well of course he won, he is paired with a Pussycat Doll." 

She then said it wasn't until she came back to host the show, where her first season was the season Derek was paired with Amy that she got to see what he is truly capable of and she wrote him a really sweet letter telling him that. I was just really surprised that she would be so honest and upfront about being that petty and childish about the competition. 

• Love 5

I like Erin now but I always found her bitterness and petty attitude towards Nicole and/or Derek very offputting.

There have been many ringers on the show that were pretty destined to win from day 1, whether it's a dance ringer or a fan base ringer, while Nicole was always a dance ringer, I had my doubts about her winning due to some comments of her personality and the general knowledge of pretty, young singers not ever winning the show before.

So, is it any different competing against Nicole versus say Alfonso , who was a dance AND fan base ringer destined to win basically from the cast announcement? His competitors never sounded nearly as bitter as she did, so it sounds to me the typical case of "ugh, I'm good, but why is there someone better than me here?" types of comments from Erin. She still discusses it to this day, and I don't think she will ever truly get over losing to Nicole.

For me it boils down to this--I think I'd like her as a person if I ever met her. And I certain respect what she went through with the hotel room thing, and in fact the entire uphill climb she's always had as a female sports-news person (the sexism is epic). 

But I have to separate out what I see on screen from what I think of her as a person. A little bit of awkwardness can be charming. A whole lot, over a long period of time, is just tiresome and intrusive.

I suppose it comes down to expectations. While I did find Samantha Harris fake as all hell, I actually kind of enjoyed Brooke Burke in an odd way. Not that she's like "a normal person", but I never found her plastic.... just... kind of like pleasant wallpaper that the Stars, Dancers and Tom contrasted against.

Ideally--and I've said this elsewhere--what I really want in the co-host role is an ex-dancer with some media/mike training. Someone who actually could give color commentary, or ask intelligent specific questions. Then again I suppose there's the argument that Erin is somehow proxying the home viewer. I don't agree she is, but I can see why some people might think so.