Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The Disappeared

Hacker girl was crazy to want to go home after what she'd seen.  Thankfully she saw what a bad idea that was without being injured or killed by her vampire friend.

I knew Gus and his friend's trip to the main jail was going to go very bad. Sorry Gus lost his friend, but glad he got away. Hope he'll some how cross paths with the rest of the gang. I think he'll make a great addition to the group.

So why didn't the Master kill Abraham? He just taunted him then broke his fingers. That seemed like a rather mild response to Abraham luring him to his cot so that he could kill him.

• Love 1

I understand the urge, circle of life and all that, but time and place guys. Time and place.

And then -- post the stress-relieving/ grief-stricken sex -- don't say to your ex-wife's friend that you "love" your ex-wife, right in front of Norah. When Eph loses the hairpiece, can it liberate his brain to work better?

• Love 3
And then -- post the stress-relieving/ grief-stricken sex -- don't say to your ex-wife's friend that you "love" your ex-wife, right in front of Norah. When Eph loses the hairpiece, can it liberate his brain to work better?

He didn't even say ex-wife. He said he loved his wife. I'm not Nora's biggest fan, but ouch!

Also, what is the point of them having sex if Cory Stoll doesn't get at least a little naked?

Nora's mom's little comedy moment was fun, I think the kid isn't a great actor but I like that the kid is open to the crazy stuff going on. He's almost like Fet in that he totally accepted the vampire thing and is ready to learn. That's nice. I also like that Dutch quickly came clean and its no big deal. Fet and Dutch are cute together, clearly that's where the show is going.

The Abe/Eichorst/The Master flashbacks were dull. I don't get the Master's agenda. Why not kill the guy who is clearly a threat? Why spend so much time on all that. This episode was slower than the last and I get the need for a breather, we are nine episodes in and its time to start filling in some of the blanks. Also, the Master looked cheesy. It would have been much better to leave it at a hood with glowing eyes. Its always a bad idea to show your audience the monster because it never lives up to their imaginations.

• Love 3

I knew there was going to be sex because of the MA-LSV rating ("Yay, there's gonna be S!" I cried gleefully) and I was actually kind of hoping Fet and Dutch would have a little hate sex. Is that twisted of me?

Speaking of twisted, my husband cheerily informed me that if I presented with the virus, there'd be none of that sentimental hesitation--he'd dispatch me speedily. This just before he quipped that Eph's son reminds him of Vicky Stubing on Love Boat.

• Love 2

Speaking of twisted, my husband cheerily informed me that if I presented with the virus, there'd be none of that sentimental hesitation--he'd dispatch me speedily. This just before he quipped that Eph's son reminds him of Vicky Stubing on Love Boat.

Your husband is definitely a keeper, Portia.  Maybe a little bit of the youngest Brady Bunch brother mixed in for good measure.

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 2

Can anyone with a DVR freeze the shot where Eph is lighting a newspaper on fire to torch Matt's corpse? It looks like there's a picture of a vampire on it.

I think it was a picture of the infected rockstar guy.

• Love 3

I'm totally on board with the B horror movie aspect of this show.  Have no problem with the cheesy dialogue.  It's such a lovely summer show.  But, ffs, could they not have found a better child actor?  Hate to insult children, but that kid is terrible, even for this show.  Just as I was getting into the story, he had a couple of lines that took me write out of it.  I was even annoyed with the way he flipped pages in that book.  Come on, kid!  Someone gives you a book opened to a specific page, at least read it before flipping pages.  

I actually didn't mind the flashbacks so much this week.  It seems confirmed that the Master's goal has been to set up some sort of worldwide concentration camp.  Humans as the entree.  Good to see that Palmer had a point to the plot.  

• Love 3

Did i miss some thing or what thought it was that the bullet he pulled out of his leg was burning his finger which lookes silver yet he wasnt turned till the end of the episode. And if be wasnt turned yet why would a bullet nurn ur fingers doesnt make sense to me.

Ew at how aroused the evil-clown-faced Master looked when implanting a worm in Eichorst.

I was a bit confused by that last scene. At first I thought it was the greedy rich guy. Was it a flashback? I thought Eichorist was already turned. Was this supposed to be post Allie invasion?

Eichurst wasn't a vampire while he was in charge of the prison camp.  He was out in the sun with no problems.  He was turned shortly after the prison was liberated.  The bullet was burning him because he was in the present time, shortly after Abe shot him in the subway.  

• Love 1

I missed a couple of episodes and haven't caught up but watched this one live. The Master asks Abraham, "Where is your God?" That same question is in a book by Elie Wiesel about his experience in the German concentration camps. I found that interesting. I hope the flashback stories of 24601 and Eichorst continue. 

Look, if you must get in some sexy time in the middle of an apocalypse, at least do it as fully clothed as possible. You never know when you're going to be interrupted by a zombie or vampire or reavers of some kind.

Also, Fet isn't Russian, he's Ukrainian. I know it's not a difference most people can tell, it just always bugs me.

Edited by AlliMo
  • Love 3

As soon as I saw the sexual situations part of the TV-MA, I was like "How are they going to pull that off?", but Eph and Nora certainly didn't let me down!  Hey, I guess after your just disposed and burned the body of your ex-wife's boyfriend, you might as well get it on right in the bedroom.  No one will mind!  Although, this being FX, I'm surprised they didn't get in a butt shot or two.  Either Del Toro doesn't play that way, or Corey Stoll and Mia Maestro were like "Hey, you need to show us the big bucks if you want us to do that!" But, yeah, Eph couldn't have handled the post-sex awkwardness any worst then he did.  Not even a fan of Nora, but she deserves better.

Damn, Gus better join the group soon!  He clearly has what it takes to get the job done!  He clearly was upset over what he had to do, but he clearly realized what had to be done, and ended his friend's life.  He'd fit right in with Abraham and Vasiliy.  At least he's escaped, but I wonder what he's going to do, now.  Run back home, perhaps?

Abraham gets to babysit Zach, and is already teaching the little rascal the ways of the world.  I'm sure that kid will be a better vampire fighter then his dad or Nora, at this rate!  Meanwhile, Vasiliy and Dutch bond a little bit, and Dutch is now chilling with the team.  Pleasantly surprised that Dutch quickly told Abraham what she did for Palmer and Stoneheart, once she figured out that might have played a part in all the craziness.  Hurrah for not keeping secrets!

Get to see how Eichorst was turned; not surprised it was by The Master, himself.  I wonder if that's the only way for vampire to keep their minds, and not just be run-of-the-mill vampire zombies.

• Love 1

The Abe/Eichorst/The Master flashbacks were dull. I don't get the Master's agenda. Why not kill the guy who is clearly a threat? Why spend so much time on all that.

So why didn't the Master kill Abraham? He just taunted him then broke his fingers. That seemed like a rather mild response to Abraham luring him to his cot so that he could kill him.

The Master killed Abe when he crushed Abe's hands. He knew what would happen if Abe couldn't work. That's why Abe hid his hands.

I am getting fed up with Eph and Nora. How dumb is it to have sex in your ex wife's house? She could've come back at any time to find her ex husband boning his co-worker, or come back infected looking to do some inseminating of her own. Shit, what if the Master found out where they were and had the place over run with vamps? Those two idiots would have literally been caught with their pants down!

And I totally agree the kid playing the son is bad. He makes Henry on Once Upon A Time look like Meryl Streep.

• Love 9

We have been waiting with delicious anticipation all season to see The Master at full strength, and damn, was that ever a womp-womp-wooooomp.  I've seen better special effects / monster makeup on the first episodes of Face-Off.  Did they accidentally blow the whole budget on the Master's fingers and worm special-effects and then say "Oh, crap...we forgot to have someone mold the head of The Master!  Anyone here got any experience with molding clay who's willing to do it in exchange for a sandwich and their name higher up in the credits?"  For serious, those vigil-ante vampire things looked way better than he did.  Disappointed!!!

• Love 4

I guess my distain for Nora is preventing me from feeling any sympathy for her when Eph told Diana that he loved his wife.  I just couldn't when Nora was trying to belittle Fet and her 'best' defense was 'someone who loved him should have killed him'.  Yea, that wasn't going to happen, so she should instead be thanking Fet for what he did which saved all of them.  That whole 'I can't teach you how to be human' was meant to do nothing else but try to shame/insult him.  Way to build a team there.  So, I was actually glad when Eph went on about his wife.  Nora seems like one of those characters who believes she has moral authority and others don't.

And Eph really didn't try to save Diana, why not tell her what's going on.  Just a 'you should get out of town' will never work on anyone until the reason is clearly explained.  I really kind of wish it was the wife who had walked in on Eph and Nora.  

I think that Abraham, Fet and Dutch will make an awesome team.  Even though I don't think the young boy is a very good actor, I can totally see him grabbing a sheriff's hat and a 6 shooter and becoming part of the team (kind of a Walking Dead reference...).

And Gus?  Hope his story really starts taking off-he'll probably go home to see what is going on with his mom and brother.  After that?  Hope he comes across our fearless vampire killers (a reference to the Sharon Tate/Roman Polanski movie).  I could really tell how much it affected him to kill his friend, so he will be awesome when he joins up.

However, I am now concerned about Abraham every time something happens due to the heart condition we learned about.  I so want him to make it to the end (even if it is several seasons from now).

• Love 1

I don't get the Master's agenda. 

Yeah, normally you could relate to someone wanting eternal life -- so that they could 'live' large and continue doing things that they enjoy. But these vampires are sexless, disfigured monsters who dress in rags and lurk in the dark.  ..What's the upside? 

And the episode ended with the  reveal of The Master without his hoodie. Was that supposed to be a big deal? ...Because he was creepier with the hood. 

• Love 7

I love Fet!  I want to have his babies and make a whole bunch of Vampire slayers.  I do wish they had not dyed his hair so dark.  It is almost as distracting as Eph's wig. 

The sex scene was totally out of no where wasn't it?  I mean if they needed to have a gratuitous sex scene do it with Fet and Dutch or Nora's mom and Abe would have even been better than that scene.  And why in the movies/TV does the guy always have to pick the girl up to bang her?  I like my nice soft bed and if my man picked me up (well it would put his back out) like that I would tell him to knock it off and lets get back on the BED.   

I hope Gus does not find his mom has turned.  My guess is he will as we already have out allotted old person dead weight with Nora's mom but if he does I hope he can take her out so she does not wander the streets looking for fresh meat.  Please have Gus hook up with the team so he and Fet can become friends.

Slower paced than last week but still ok.  And I keep referring to this show as The Stain and have to catch myself its the STRAIN!  What a difference a letter makes.

Edited by gaPeach
  • Love 2
I guess my distain for Nora is preventing me from feeling any sympathy for her when Eph told Diana that he loved his wife.

I laughed and laughed. Like, what did you think Idiot? You are no different than the countless other mistresses in the world that the husband never leaves his wife for. Hell, he had already stated that he didn't want his marriage to end. I guess she thought "now is my chance!!" Idiot!! Now, don't get me wrong, I'm down with the likes of Livvie and Fitz, but Eph and Nora sure ain't no Livvie and Fitz.

Edited by Iamsweetdee
  • Love 1

My favorite episode was last week and that was the episode with 1 plot line and the main characters all together.  The show kind of reminds me of Heroes in a frustrating way in how it keeps going out of its way to separate the main characters.

I wonder when we're going to get back to the vampire resistance army.  That was a cool twist which has been completely ignored the last 2 episodes.

I also wonder when characters will start wising up and wearing some sort of armor.  It doesn't have to be chainmail, but at least long sleeves and a scarf (it's Winter and there's snow on the ground so it wouldn't even be out of place!)

Edited by futurechemist
  • Love 2

Has it been established that Eph is officially divorced? Because if so, then Nora is no longer a mistress and Eph's not cheating on anyone (at least not anymore).

Since they were having custody hearings etc. i'd assume that they are actually divorced. And also, given the fact that mom had a new live in boyfriend, i'm not to bothered by Eph getting it on with Nora.

Though the timing  and location of this particular liason didn't make much sense to me... i mean, i know they're going through some intense stuff... but it definitely wasn't giving off some sexy, we just started a fire outside and now i've got a fire in my pants kind of vibe.

Like they needed to just throw in some sex to put it in...or they wanted a reason for Eph to be caught in a compromising position by the friend lady?  I could have done without that whole subplot.

I've sort of been enjoying the concentration camp flashbacks more than the rest of the show. I would watch the hell out of that by itself. Does that make me a bad person? :) Oh, well, I guess those are over now. :(

Apocalypse sex always bugs me because that's the very last thing I'd be thinking of in that kind of situation. D:

The kid was a little too ok w/the whole thing, especially after seeing his potential new dad get decapitated. I would have been pissing myself. D: Btw, I got a "Grimm" vibe when Abe gave the kid that ancient-looking book to pour over. ;)

So, Eph couldn't dispatch Samwise but had zero problems decapitating wifey's b-f?? I hope this means he's learning (but I doubt it).

I continue to adore Vasiliy! He gets the best lines in the show, like Pam on "True Blood." He has feelings, dammit! XD

Also, in my head, I keep comparing Vasiliy to the exterminator named Roman who appeared on the show "Verminators." He liked to "get his kill on." They would be an unstoppable vampocalypse team!

Still missing the SWAT vamps. :(

I didn't like Gus until this episode. Eph and Nora could learn a thing or two from him about doing the right thing for someone you care about when they're infected. He clearly has what it takes to make it in the vampocalypse. I envision impending bff status between him and Vasiliy. :)

Eph's wife's walking-stereotype-of-a-friend needs to get infected and die already.

The Master did not impress.  I actually started laughing when I saw him. XD  Better to have left that goofy mess under the hood, son.

Oh, and, btw, you're welcome:

Bat_Boy_review3.jpg

• Love 3

Anyone else hoping that "The Disappeared" was referring to the "wig".

That would have been a vast improvement, taking some of Fet's Sharpie-black hair dye with it.

I did like that they gave Norah the line about the "Disappeared" in Argentina. That, for a moment at least, made it feel like the show's universe could exist in this universe.

• Love 1

I've decided I cannot stand Nora. Hate is probably not going too far. And really, it has nothing to do with having sex with Eph. He has his own ridic issues with his ex/wife, and we all realize she's rather stupid to be feeding into that. Mostly it's like, if this was a real thing, I'd have smacked her silly by now. It's just like when people disappeared back at home? Yeah, it's kind of not. But whatever perpetually crying lady.

• Love 3

Having never seen the first 3 eps can somebody tell me if the Swat vamps appeared before?  Like, although I hated that they killed that lady's daughter they kind of had to, so I'm completely confused whose side these guys are on and how is it that they are vamps and talk.  I may have missed some lore as I marthoned eps 4 through this one. 

While Nora isn't Buffy or Willow I kind of like that a doctor is having some moral quandaries about killing what she sees as infected patients.  It is one of the few realistic things in this show.  I mean it would make logical sense to kill a village full of people with Ebola but you wouldn't send a doctor to do it, at least not one with any ethics.  Most people who gravitate toward medicine do it because they want to help people and only a few are Kavorkian enough to be able to handle what is going on in this show without some problems.  That being said she has to toughen up to survive.  And it wasn't wise of her to sleep with main guy when he's still not over his wife.  I got the impression she totally thought the sex meant more than just a momentary release and felt bad for her.  One of the main reasons I think main guy's wife is alive is because there has to be angst in this kind of story to prevent these people from getting together.

I continue to adore Vasiliy! He gets the best lines in the show

My favourite of his lines here was when the gang arrived at the pawn shop only to be chewed out by Nora's bitchy mom, and when someone says, "That's Nora's mom" he says, "Obviously".  ;-)

• Love 4

I couldn't help but think the Master looked liked a villain of the week from Buffy: the Vampire Slayer!

Except that show is nearly 20 years old at this point and The Strain's effects aren't any better. This show should have been able to do better than fruit punch mouth. 

Having never seen the first 3 eps can somebody tell me if the Swat vamps appeared before?

We were calling them VombieTeam6 on twitter last night. As far as I know they first appeared to save Nanny Neena and the kids last week.

I like the mother's friend. I'd prefer they have her stick around. I wish I liked Eph, but I don't at this point.

Nora - I understand she was upset that Vasily killed her friend, but she was just rude to him.

Dutch owning up to her part was good.

The Master was much too cheesy. He even looked to me, like he couldn't believe he was there in that get-up.

I like Gus, so I'm glad that he is free now.

Edited by Anela

Look, if you must get in some sexy time in the middle of an apocalypse, at least do it as fully clothed as possible. You never know when you're going to be interrupted by a zombie or vampire or reavers of some kind.

Forget them, I'd never have so much as sat down in that house where there might be stray vampire-making worms from New Boyfriend's body wriggling their way over the furniture, let alone taken my clothes off and gotten horizontal for any length of time! Even they way they were right down next to the body while wrapping it up in plastic made me think they were taking a big chance of getting infected.

• Love 2