Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: The Owl

• Start Topic

“The Owl” – Sam, Jay and the remaining ghosts unravel the mystery of which ghost passed into the afterlife. Also, Sam and Jay must relocate an owl in order to do construction on the barn to turn it into Jay’s restaurant. Feb 15

WRITTEN BY: John Blickstead and Trey Kollmer 

DIRECTED BY: Jay Karas

• Like 1

I didn't dislike Flower, but she was always just kind of there. I wasn't really invested in her character at all.

Birds are evil.  I've always said so.  Jay, you should have open and run.  Trever being a bird expert was unexpected.

IMO, this was not my favorite episode.  I never care about the basement ghosts.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
(edited)

I didn’t expect that it would be Flower. On the one hand, it’s important that it was a ghost who people cared about, but on the other hand it is too soon to lose any of the main cast. 

I usually prefer how the US writers address certain episodes in comparison to the UK writers, but the UK team did a better job in portraying how the ghosts were impacted by losing a member of their group. I didn’t like how this didn’t seem to hurt anyone aside from Thor. I love the balance of humor and sentimentality in this show, but that mixture and balance was missing in this episode.     

Flower may not have been the strongest character, but I’m going to miss her. 

Edited by BellaR
  • Like 15
  • Applause 1

I watched Young Sheldon and noticed the absence in a photo during the commercial break.  After waiting months to find out, I could have waited another 8 minutes.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm glad this show is back but it wasn't as sad as I thought it would be for one of the core eight to get sucked off. Maybe because I don't believe Flower is really permanently gone? Am I just in denial?

Spoiler

Per the producers she’s gone, at least in the present. There’s a possibility we could see her in flashbacks. Check the interview in the Media thread

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 2

Surprised it was Flower, but actress is pregnant in real life so... (so is Rose) maybe she wanted to leave?

My money was on Attic Girl and/or Cholera Boy all along. 

• Like 14

“Everybody find your suck-off buddy!” Lmao, of course the ghosts have a buddy system for such a situation.

I love that by inviting the basement ghosts upstairs, Pete not only pissed off his friends but also Nancy because now she can’t hide upstairs from the other basement ghosts.

It’s sweet that the basement ghosts miss Flower because she was always nice to them when no one else was. Thor’s speech at Flower’s memorial had me tearing up. “It was like first light after months of sunless winters.” Actual lol at Sam using Flower’s mug shot because it’s the only picture she could find. 

Regarding whether Flower is permanently gone:

Spoiler

According to this article: https://collider.com/ghosts-season-3-flower-sucked-off/

she is coming back, it’s just not clear how or when. I’m betting she’ll be back midway through the season if not earlier.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

I'm holding out hope that Flower is actually asleep in the attic, and it was Attic Girl who got sucked off.  I haven't kept up with any news or info about the show since it last aired, so for all I know, the actress playing Flower may very well have left. 

Or ...

Spoiler

... not.  The actor recently gave birth to her first child.  She probably will be back if not in this shortened (writers' strike) season, then next fall.  If the Irish maid could come back, Flower can. 

(Is this season only 10 episodes because of the strike?  If so it might not be until next fall then).

And Flower would be the perfect ghost to come back as in she won't remember anything so she won't remember where she even was.

• Like 13
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Surprised it was Flower, but actress is pregnant in real life ...

The actor playing Flower had her child in December which was the same month production resumed on "Ghosts."

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2

Ahhhhhhh, "Ghosts", so nice to have you back. How I have missed this show ;D <3. 

Yeah, I definitely think it's safe to say she'll be back, too. Just a matter of when. And I think the owl will play a large role somehow in her return. 

God, Thor broke my heart into pieces this episode, with his reaction to losing Flower. I'm not surprised that the other ghosts were kind of delayed in their grief about this - they've all talked at length about wanting to be sucked off, but now they've actually seen it happen to someone they care about, and now they have to face the idea of if this is what they really want after all. I think it took a while for it to fully hit them. I look forward to seeing how they deal with this loss thorughout the season (or for as long as Flower's gone, whichever comes first). I hope we get to see the different ways in which it affects them going forward, and how they interact with each other. 

I absolutely LOVED Isaac and NIgel freaking out and running to each other once they realized they were both safe <3. And of course, in Isaac's case, he's had to deal with the fear that he might've lost Nigel twice now (the first time being when Jenkins lied to him in the first season finale and told him Nigel had been sucked off, as a way to keep them apart). So of course he'd be extra panicked. And while I wanted to shake Isaac for focusing so much on his engagmeent party at a time like thsi :p, I do hope he and Nigel will get to properly celebrate eventually :). 

I loved Jay's attempt to try and comfort Thor, and being so supportive of everything with the owl. Even if it did end badly for him personally :p. Sam pointing out what Jay was actually doing when he thought he was patting Thor's shoulder cracked me the hell up XD. 

The stuff with the basement ghosts was fun. Got some good Pete and Nancy interaction out of it again, and I like the way Nancy tricked all the cholera ghosts into going back downstairs. 

As for Flower, the memorial for her was lovely. I adore the mugshot and the explanation behind it, and the reveal that she would visit the cholera ghosts regularly was so sweet. I definitely missed her this episode, but if she is indeed going to be coming back, and of course, given the reason she will be temporarily gone besides, then I can live with the absence for now. I'd much rather have the loss of any one of these ghosts be temporarry rather than pemranent. I just love them all too much to lose them for good!

Hell of a way to kick off the season, but I think it's setting up some really good storylines going forward. I can't wait to see how this all plays out as time goes on, and what non-Flower related stuff happens with the ghosts and Sam and Jay going forward. 

• Like 20

I'm not yet ready to believe that Flower was sucked off.  Remember, she's permanently stoned, so she could just be off somewhere in a befuddled haze, which is why no one has seen her lately.  I could be wrong, but the writing just didn't seem definitive enough to indicate that it was her.  I thought the idea of suck-off buddies was hilarious.  I'll bet that was Isaac's idea.

Man, those basement ghosts are disgusting.  I try to look past that but . . .  Can't really blame the upstairs ghosts for wanting them to go back downstairs.

A nice touch was the look on Hetty's face when it briefly seemed Nigel might have been the one who'd been sucked off:  heartbreak for Isaac because he'd finally found happiness and had it snatched from him.  Despite the past friction between her and Nigel, she's truly glad they've found each other.

Maybe it's the long anticipation, but I felt this episode was a little lackluster.  Could be that my expectations were too high after all these months of waiting.

• Like 20
36 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

I'm holding out hope that Flower is actually asleep in the attic, and it was Attic Girl who got sucked off.  I haven't kept up with any news or info about the show since it last aired, so for all I know, the actress playing Flower may very well have left. 

I hope so too. 

32 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm glad this show is back but it wasn't as sad as I thought it would be for one of the core eight to get sucked off. Maybe because I don't believe Flower is really permanently gone? Am I just in denial?

It was the right amount of sad for me.

• Like 6

I loved this episode. Flower was one of my favorites I could relate to her love of basketball. I liked her odd couple friendship with Hetty. I wouldn't want her to come back after she's been reunited with her family and fiancée in Heaven. I think it would be interesting to have Shelia come back as a living character. Thorfinn broke my heart especially when you remember he lost his wife. Jay was sweet trying to comfort him. Pete and Sam need to be more assertive they try to please everyone and you can't do that.

• Like 12
42 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I'm not surprised that the other ghosts were kind of delayed in their grief about this - they've all talked at length about wanting to be sucked off, but now they've actually seen it happen to someone they care about, and now they have to face the idea of if this is what they really want after all. I think it took a while for it to fully hit them

This made me wonder - if Flower is the first sucked off ghost they care about, why didn’t they care about the ones who have been sucked off before?  They have been ghosts for a long time, they knew about being sucked off, they surely have seen this already. They all get along so well (well, the upstairs ghosts with each other, at least).

39 minutes ago, PaulE said:

Man, those basement ghosts are disgusting.  I try to look past that but . . .  Can't really blame the upstairs ghosts for wanting them to go back downstairs.

I kinda liked them, they all had personalities (and lines!) all of a sudden. Crash too!  He reminded me of Joe Pesci.  I wonder if they are all going to be more prominent now or if this was just a one-off, just some extra cash for long-out-of-work actors. “Interacting with local fauna is how I got cholera” :). Is that really how you get cholera?  I thought it was mostly through drinking water.

• Like 11
  • Fire 1

This episode did not disappoint. I was not expecting one of the main characters to be sucked off but Sheila Carrasco's pregnancy must have complicated things. I wonder if and how she will be back. If she's simply restored somehow it might be a bit of a letdown.

Lots of great zingers, the writing was on point. 

Hetty: "As I once told the grieving parents of a child factory worker who’d been pulled into a loom, there’s a job opening for your other child and this time be sure to cut their hair. They cried with joy."

Isaac: "Could you imagine one of us sucked off on the night of our engagement?"

Pete: "Everybody find your suckoff buddy!"

Interesting the promo spot we've been seeing for weeks with Jay running out of the kitchen saying "I can't see ghosts, I don't know why I went in there" was shot from a different angle in the episode proper.

I wonder about the actors who play the basement ghosts. Are they somehow otherwise affiliated with the show? Crew members or something? Some of them were actually in the pilot. Notably absent was Ralph, Stephanie's love interest. Maybe he's up in the attic sleeping with her.

So the new opening title sequence has a toy dinosaur, a book on Poltergeists, a dish of candy? Owl and basketball on shelf, Woodstone Rewards program, butterfly. Three of those things are associated with Flower.

• Like 9
  • Useful 4

as soon as the basement ghosts mentioned that the heater was making loud noises I kind of figured that Flower had gotten stuck in there somehow and that she'll show up just as befuddled as always sometime in the future.

• Like 8
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
40 minutes ago, shura said:
1 hour ago, PaulE said:

I kinda liked them, they all had personalities (and lines!) all of a sudden. Crash too!  He reminded me of Joe Pesci.

I actually agree with you about the personalities; I just meant physically.  They always looked to me as if they also smelled, and now we know they did.  The makeup and costume folks did their jobs well. 

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, Linderhill said:

as soon as the basement ghosts mentioned that the heater was making loud noises I kind of figured that Flower had gotten stuck in there somehow and that she'll show up just as befuddled as always sometime in the future.

My mom said the exact same thing earlier :D. 

24 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Notably absent was Ralph, Stephanie's love interest. Maybe he's up in the attic sleeping with her.

We didn't see Jenkins, either - Nigel made a point of mentioning that he'd gone to tell him about his and Isaac's engagement. Maybe we'll find out that was foreshadowing, and he was actually the one who wound up getting sucked off instead of Flower, if it turns out Flower was just off wandering around somewhere all season*.

*I said this elsewhere, but it'd be hilarious if we find out Flower just wandered around the property and found a way to break through the ghost boundary :D. 

56 minutes ago, shura said:

This made me wonder - if Flower is the first sucked off ghost they care about, why didn’t they care about the ones who have been sucked off before?  They have been ghosts for a long time, they knew about being sucked off, they surely have seen this already. They all get along so well (well, the upstairs ghosts with each other, at least).

Maybe the others didn't stick around as long as she did? Maybe they were a little more offputting somehow? Maybe they didn't really get much chance ot properly know each other before, because those ghosts were around before they had any kind of contact with living people who could help bring them together, like Sam and Jay? 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Sam pointing out what Jay was actually doing when he thought he was patting Thor's shoulder cracked me the hell up XD.

Not to mention Jay being OK with it.

• Like 6
32 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

This episode did not disappoint. I was not expecting one of the main characters to be sucked off but Sheila Carrasco's pregnancy must have complicated things. I wonder if and how she will be back. If she's simply restored somehow it might be a bit of a letdown.

I trust that *if* Flower returns, Thor (Devan Chandler Long) will deliver an audience-tear-jerking performance.

• Like 11

I thought it was interesting that there was a clip of Stephanie and Cholera Boy kissing in the season two montage at the beginning of the episode.  I still think Flower’s supposed ascension is a red herring.

• Like 14
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, Starchild said:

Not to mention Jay being OK with it.

And Thor being okay with it, too!

Don't we know that Thor and Isaac also smell bad? Isaac because of dysentery and Thor because of... I forget what. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Don't we know that Thor and Isaac also smell bad? Isaac because of dysentery and Thor because of... I forget what. 

Cod?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • LOL 14
(edited)

The upward blast of heavenly light from the sucking off definitely came from a certain section of the house.  That covers from the subbasement to the attic.  All the basement ghosts are accounted for, right? And didn't Crash say he saw the surly teen?  So, I'm afraid Flower was sucked off.  At least for a while.  Unless there is a stealth ghost we haven't heard of yet.

Or.........were all the guests accounted for?  Maybe one of them kicked off--or was murdered--resulting in the exultant burst of divine light.  Perhaps an unfortunate discovery will be made next week?

Speaking of unpleasant odors, the contrast of the basement ghosts with the upstairs world was an incredible feat of costume, makeup, and lighting.  They literally looked like they were in black and white steeped slightly in sepia tone.  Nicely done.

Edited by HurricaneVal
  • Like 9
24 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

And didn't Crash say he saw the surly teen?  So, I'm afraid Flower was sucked off.

Maybe Flower and Stephanie (Prom ghost) had a heart-to-heart talk resulting in Stephanie resolving her issues and getting sucked off. 
Then maybe some sort of sleeping spell associated with that corner of the attic caused Flower to go into a bear-like hibernation.
Crash might have just seen Flower’s dark hair on the pillow and assumed she was Stephanie.

• Like 6

Minor nitpick about Flowl -- Barn Owls don't hoot.  That screeching at the end was closer to how Barn Owls sound.  

Otherwise, I thought it was a good ep.  I did keep expecting Flower to show up.  I thought it would be Attic Girl and/or Basement Boy, and that the ghost Crash saw sleeping in the attic was Flower.

It was totally in character for Isaac to be more concerned about his engagement party than about Flower.  Isaac is quite self-centered.

Loved how Nancy got the basement ghosts back to the basement.

• Like 12
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Minor nitpick about Flowl -- Barn Owls don't hoot.  That screeching at the end was closer to how Barn Owls sound.  

Otherwise, I thought it was a good ep.  I did keep expecting Flower to show up.  I thought it would be Attic Girl and/or Basement Boy, and that the ghost Crash saw sleeping in the attic was Flower.

It was totally in character for Isaac to be more concerned about his engagement party than about Flower.  Isaac is quite self-centered.

Loved how Nancy got the basement ghosts back to the basement.

Barn Owls certainly do hoot (have a call). It’s remembered by the phrase, “Who cooks for YOU?” (Morse code-dot,dot,dash,dash-the last syllable louder). Just like the Cardinal’s phrase is “What Cheer -3x” Cornell ornithology lab has a great website where you can see pictures and listen to all bird calls, songs, alerts.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, Daff said:

Barn Owls certainly do hoot (have a call). It’s remembered by the phrase, “Who cooks for YOU?” (Morse code-dot,dot,dash,dash-the last syllable louder). Just like the Cardinal’s phrase is “What Cheer -3x” Cornell ornithology lab has a great website where you can see pictures and listen to all bird calls, songs, alerts.

Barred Owls have the "Who cooks for you" phrase, not Barn Owls.  Please do visit the Cornell site.  I've been a birder for decades, and regularly use the Merlin and eBird apps, as well as Cornell's website.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

t was totally in character for Isaac to be more concerned about his engagement party than about Flower.  Isaac is quite self-centered.

Isaac's self-absorption is no surprise, but this was a bit much, even for him.  We've seen that he's capable of caring for others, so you'd think his own grief at losing Flower, not to mention his realization of the others' grief, would have done away with any desire to celebrate his engagement at that moment, especially since Flower, as I recall, was very sympathetic about his guilt over his wife Beatrice.  Nigel at least had the common sense to suggest to him that maybe folks had more important things on their mind at the moment than their engagement, but clearly it didn't take.  

I think Isaac is the sort of person who'd get down on one knee and propose marriage during someone else's wedding reception.  Completely clueless.

• Like 9
(edited)

I'm so glad this show is back! 

If Flower is coming back, then I hope its because she never left.  That Stephanie, or her boyfriend, or some other ghost got sucked off instead.  I like the theory that it was Stephanie, and Flower fell asleep in her bed.  This makes sense because the actress who plays her is 34 in real life, and can't be playing a teenager forever.  Also, I don't want them to have to come up with some weird exception to ghost rules, where ghosts can come back.  I know it was done with the Maid, but that just seems like a cheap out for an otherwise creative show.

I thought it was hilarious that they had Crash return.  Most likely to never be seen again for the rest of the season. 

I wonder if they just happened to have a giant elaborate vintage bird cage somewhere in the house, or if they had to go find one.  Also, I think it's interesting that construction is supposed to begin, but the barn still has a vintage carriage and tons of other stuff in there. 

Was it my imagination, or did Rose look a little pregnant in this episode?  I know Rose was pregnant while filming.  I'm wondering if she'll be hiding behind ferns, large purses, lots of sitting at tables, etc., for the rest of the season. 

At least we saw another guest this time.  Not a paying guest, so still a mystery as to how they're keeping this place running and paying for a new restaurant. 

Edited to add:  Thor threatening to burn down the barn/restaurant was the best part of the episode.  It was a nice reminder that the ghosts aren't powerless in their situation.

Edited by chaifan
  • Like 5

Oh, how I missed these ghosts! 

I loved the episode, lots of great throwaway lines. I need to work 'hobgoblin' into my vocabulary a LOT more lol. I love that Jay really tries to help the ghosts even though he can't see them. I think this is the most interaction he's had so far with Thor, correct? He was really sweet, and Thor being ok with Jay patting his butt in comfort was hilarious. I also love that Jay still has issues with Trevor, it totally makes sense, and Trevor knowing and grinning when Jay found out he was still there was a nice touch.

I don't believe Flower got sucked off for real. She's either asleep in Stephanie's bed in the attic, trapped in the water heater or even perhaps in the vault, or she's just wandering around somewhere because she keeps forgetting what she came outside for lol. Oh! Maybe she's been trying to visit Thor's son at the neighbor's house and was trying to find different ways to cross the property line so they could visit in person, but she keeps getting yanked back and then forgetting and Thor's son has to keep reminding her. LET ME HAVE MY DELUSION DAMMIT! 😭 

• Like 14

While I was watching the episode I did expect to see Flower come wandering in out of the forest all confused about what everyone was so upset about, but the more I think about it I'm glad they actually went there and most likely got rid of her. It challenges our perspective of the status quo and is kind of a big deal to get rid of one of the big 8. They're willing to shake things up in a way that feels authentic to the show. 

11 hours ago, shura said:

Did they say that Flower was the first sucked off ghost they cared about? There may have been others in the past that we just have never seen. I mean at the very least Thorfinn and Sassapis must have had friendships with sucked off ghosts in the past. 

1 hour ago, chaifan said:

Edited to add:  Thor threatening to burn down the barn/restaurant was the best part of the episode.  It was a nice reminder that the ghosts aren't powerless in their situation.

I loved that! Some of them kind of are powerless just because their ghost powers aren't that useful, but Thor's has big deal potential. We saw with Hetty's dead husband he was willing to use his power for evil, but this is the first time one of the good ones seemed willing to. 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Badsamaritan said:

Maybe she's been trying to visit Thor's son at the neighbor's house and was trying to find different ways to cross the property line so they could visit in person, but she keeps getting yanked back and then forgetting and Thor's son has to keep reminding her.

I love this idea, but with one twist... she does find a way over to the neighbor's house.  Maybe at one point Hettie's family owned all the property (a realistic scenario) and when they split the property some deed got screwed up and there's a small path that never transferred ownership.  Or, even better, an area that was jointly owned and then forgotten about.  This would give Thor the chance to hug his son! 

Now in my mind, I see a map which is a hub & spoke system, where all along, all properties have actually been connected by paths, allowing ghosts to move between properties, but these paths were forgotten long ago. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

I'm thinking because we didn't see her get sucked off, she's not really gone.  We didn't see cholera boy.  Highlight if the episode for me, Hetty flicking Pete's arrow when he waffled on telling the ghosts to back downstairs.

• Like 8
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, DanielleBowden said:

Highlight if the episode for me, Hetty flicking Pete's arrow when he waffled on telling the ghosts to back downstairs.

That was great.

• Like 8

I don't really think Flower got sucked off (hehe) because we didn't actually see it. I think she's probably wandering around chasing butterflies or she's stuck somewhere. I think it was cholera boy and Stephanie is going to be insufferable when she wakes up and finds her boyfriend gone. 

For me, it wasn't my favorite episode, but it was so comforting to have the show back after everything that happened last year. I like to think they showed Crash and the basement ghosts to give those actors a paycheck after suffering through the strike.

• Like 10

I think it would be too much of a cheat if it turned out Flower isn't actually gone. They made a point of accounting for all the other ghosts, including Stephanie and the basement ghosts. And the montage of Flower moments at the end during the service was so nice and genuine I hate to think they would undercut such a moment with a cheap gag where it turns out to have been someone else.

It's interesting we haven't heard from Sheila Carrasco herself (so far) regarding her status on the show. It would be extremely problematic if they essentially fired her because she was pregnant. Other shows have gotten sued for doing that, so I have to think there was some sort of amicable agreement. If part of it was that they would bring her back in some capacity, I hope that it isn't simply an "oops it was a mistake, it really wasn't her" type of situation. I expect better than that from this show and they would have ruined a really sweet and emotional moment. 

Plus, look at the new opening title sequence. It's practically a tribute to Flower with the butterfly, owl and basketball. I think she's definitely gone for the season, and maybe they are toying with the idea of having Carrasco back next season as another character.

12 hours ago, shura said:

This made me wonder - if Flower is the first sucked off ghost they care about, why didn’t they care about the ones who have been sucked off before?

We don't know that they didn't care about other ghosts. We have no specifics on that. "Viking Funeral" was the first episode we heard about getting sucked off. Hetty said it was so rare she'd seen in maybe once. And she's been around for over 100 years. We have no idea who or when that might have been. She acknowledged having a memorial service so they certainly cared to the extent that they bothered with one.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I don't really think Flower got sucked off (hehe) because we didn't actually see it. I think she's probably wandering around chasing butterflies or she's stuck somewhere.

I'm so hoping this is the case!  I'm thinking that Stephanie (attic girl) left and it's Flower under the covers in the attic.  Crash said Stephanie was asleep, but did he actually look and see that it was her under the covers?  Maybe Flower was visiting her when she got sucked off and then fell asleep in the attic.  

I loved Jay's enthusiasm when first looking for the ghosts by running into the kitchen to search for them, then quickly realizing that he can't see them.  Poor Jay!  I want him to be able to see them too!  He feels so left out.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

It's interesting we haven't heard from Sheila Carrasco herself (so far) regarding her status on the show. It would be extremely problematic if they essentially fired her because she was pregnant. Other shows have gotten sued for doing that, so I have to think there was some sort of amicable agreement. If part of it was that they would bring her back in some capacity, I hope that it isn't simply an "oops it was a mistake, it really wasn't her" type of situation. I expect better than that from this show and they would have ruined a really sweet and emotional moment. 

I think we did in at least one of the articles about it. She had just had her baby when they were filming for this season, so it was helpful to them that Flower is gone (for now) and it's helpful to the actress to be able to spend time with her baby without rushing back to work. I suspect given what we've already seen with how some ghosts can return temporarily, that's how we'll see Flower next, unless they intend to cheat and somehow return her permanently towards the end of the season (which is only 10 episodes)

• Like 3