Type keyword(s) to search

"Oh HELL No!" Movie Moments That Anger Up the Blood

• Start Topic

There were a lot of things about the movie Crash that made me angry, but I always thought it was unfair that Don Cheadle's mom blamed him for his brother's death and rubbed it in his face that he was supposedly a better son than he was because he supposedly brought her groceries one night. Especially since Don Cheadle was the one that brought her the stupid groceries in secret.

• Love 4

I was reminded of an angry moment when re-watching the classic film, "The Women" (1939):

Mary Haines is married to a man who ultimately cheats on her with a shop girl named Crystal (played by Joan Crawford, no less!) and she leaves for Reno for a divorce.  Mary doesn't want to divorce her husband, but due to her man's infidelity and the scandal it caused (being they were in high society circles and it being reported in the papers) she goes anyway.  The whole time she is optimistic her husband will call her back.   She is scolded by Miriam (Paulette Goddard) for abandoning her husband and leaving him into the clutches of Crystal.  The divorce goes through 6 weeks later (no fault divorce didn't exist at the time and a trip to Reno was the fastest option back then) and on the final day, Mary finally gets a call from her ex - to tell her he married the other woman earlier that day.  It is still made to look like it's Mary's fault!  She's accused of having too much pride and that's why she lost her hubby.

I'm sorry but Mary IMO didn't do anything wrong (except not giving a royal beating to Crystal when they met up at a fashion show).  She wasn't cheating on her husband, her husband didn't seem to care about their marriage or their daughter and married that whore who he'd known less than a year.  Mary did one of two things a woman at that time could have done - sucked it up and let her husband play around on her, or leave.  Then she happily takes her hubby back at the very end - but only because Crystal was cheating on him with someone else.   

I know some of it could be chalked up to the times, but even my traditional upbringing couldn't make sense of this.

• Love 7

See, her poor husband got preyed upon by that evil hussy Crystal and Mary let him down by not protecting him.  IT'S NOT HIS FAULT!

Because he's an imbecile who can't get through life without being constantly propped up by others, bless his heart.

• Love 3

I love The Women for the rapid-fire comedy, witty lines, gorgeous costumes, and sheer star power... but don't think for a second I'm blind to its faults, namely the idea that Stephen is completely absolved of his action because... men, amirite?!

Seriously, though, Mary? Stephen is a pathetic, cheating asshole, divorcing him was the smartest thing you could have done! 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 3

That's what makes Sara so despicable.

Sara is pretty despicable in that she's sacrificing one daughter's future happiness in an effort to save the other by wanting Anna to give Kate one of her kidneys.  But while it's true that Anna was conceived in an effort to save Kate's life, they thought all they'd need Anna to give up at the time of her birth was cord blood (and the accompanying stem cells).  Which, given the nature of Kate's disease, was rather short-sighted on everyone's part.  I don't want this to seem as any sort of defense of Sara's later actions, but at the time of Anna's birth, I don't believe she could've foreseen a future where she would need Anna to give up more than cord blood, the donation of which did no harm to Anna.  Of course, wading into the "should they have had Anna to begin with when the only reason they had a third child was to save one they already had" mess is a whole 'nother matter.

What DID piss me off was how Willoughby made fun of him behind his back. Especially knowing what that asshole did to his foster daughter. He had some nerve....

I have always wondered whether or not Willoughby knew that Beth was Colonel Brandon's foster daughter.  I don't think he did.  While the neighborhood gossip would tell him that Colonel Brandon supposedly had an illegitimate child, it doesn't strike me as something Willoughby would pay much attention to.  And even at that, the gossips didn't appear to have much information on the girl beyond her name being "Miss Williams."  If they had known more, Elinor wouldn't have had to hear the story from Colonel Brandon.  I believe that Willoughby didn't find out the truth about Beth until Colonel Brandon found out who'd seduced her and informed Willoughby's aunt.

There were so many things about My Best Friend's Wedding that make me say "Oh HELL No!" that I can't list them here.  I'll just leave it as a big "AMEN!" to everything that's been posted up to this point, except to say this--I don't worry that Kimmy will be able to pick up the pieces of her life after she leaves Michael a few years after they got married.  Someone posted that she wouldn't be able to go back to college, but don't forget that she comes from money.  If she wants to go back to school, she'll have no problems doing so at all.

Going back to Reality Bites: Michael deserved better than Lelaina.  Count your blessings there, buddy.

An original "Oh HELL No!" for me is Lance's reaction to the discovery of Mia's infidelity in The Best Man.  It's hypocritical given how much he ran around on her that he was ready to call off the wedding because she had a one-night-stand ten years earlier.  Sure, two wrongs don't make a right.  Yes, she twisted the knife by choosing to sleep with his best friend.  And the timing of the discovery was awful.  But all the same, as he was on the verge of killing Harper, I'm like, "Really?  You don't think you brought this on yourself by screwing around on her all those years?"

Edited by wallflower75
  • Love 3

Sorry to dredge this up again, but I think the alternate title to The Family Stone should be MEREDITH DID NOTHING WRONG, YOU ASSHOLES!!

Thoughts?

Moving along, I hate the climax of Rebecca where Mrs. de Winter #2, after finally standing up to Mrs. Danvers (she really should have fired her, but that's not the point) and deciding to host the annual costume ball, is tricked by the good Mrs. D. into dressing in the same costume Rebecca wore the previous year. Mrs. de Winter #2 descends the staircase, beaming with hope and pride... and Maxim, haunted for the umpteenth time by Rebecca's memory, cruelly lashes out at her, accuses her of tormenting him, and humiliates her in front of the guests. In fact, Mrs. de Winter #2 is so distraught, she almost lets Mrs. Danvers drive her to suicide. 

Now, maybe I should be annoyed at Mrs. de Winter #2's gullibility (good lord, honey, does Mrs. Danvers need a poison apple or an army of flying monkeys to convince you she's evil?), but, no, I'm definitely more disgusted by Maxim's behavior. First of all, he's been married to Mrs. de Winter #2 for a few months, long enough to know that she is a basically an angel. I'm not being sarcastic or ironic; Mrs. de Winter #2 is so sweet, so accommodating, so guileless it's ludicrous. Maxim should know that Mrs. de Winter #2 would never, ever, even conceive of being deliberately cruel to him. Hell, I don't think she'd so much as put salt in his tea on April Fool's Day, let alone make him look bad, considering that she herself cares so much about pleasing him and looking good herself. She's visibly a wreck when he makes his accusation, wasn't that enough to let him know she didn't mean to hurt him?

There were so many things about My Best Friend's Wedding that make me say "Oh HELL No!" that I can't list them here.  I'll just leave it as a big "AMEN!" to everything that's been posted up to this point, except to say this--I don't worry that Kimmy will be able to pick up the pieces of her life after she leaves Michael a few years after they got married.  Someone posted that she wouldn't be able to go back to college, but don't forget that she comes from money.  If she wants to go back to school, she'll have no problems doing so at all.

True. And since Michael can't/won't give her anything when they divorce (and you know they will), she's got a good financial safety cushion.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 4

While on the subject of adaptations of classical novels and dissatisfactory love interests, everything in Tess of the D'Ubervilles/Tess pissed me off, particularly the holier-than-thou Angel Clare.  He left his new wife because he found out that she wasn't a virgin -- that she had been basically raped by another guy and miscarried his baby LONG before he ever met her?  Fuck you, asshole!

• Love 5

Sorry to dredge this up again, but I think the alternate title to The Family Stone should be MEREDITH DID NOTHING WRONG, YOU ASSHOLES!!

Thoughts?

Observation: Who knew that that people might actually kinda-sorta start to like Sarah Jessica Parker because she was in a movie where everyone treats her character like shit? Maybe Gwyneth Paltrow should take notes. :-P

• Love 3
(edited)

Let's talk about Drag Me to Hell, specifically the opening prologue where a little kid is taken by the demon for stealing his gypsy neighbor's necklace. Seriously, you're condemning a LITTLE BOY to HELL over a lousy necklace ?!! Isn't that a little extreme?!

I know this is yet another example of Hollywood stereotyping gypsys as vindictive curse mongerers, but it still pissed me off.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

I was watching 42 again, and I'd forgot how rage-inducing the scene where the Dodgers first face Philadelphia is. I love Alan Tudyk, but I immediately forget that when his Ben Chapman starts yelling expletives at Jackie as he steps up to the plate. It's so gross, and so horrible, and it feels like it would've been a pretty hard scene to film. Kudos to both Tudyk and Chadwick Boseman for it.

• Love 3

The scene in The Nanny Diaries where Annie gets fired makes my blood boil, not just for the actual firing, but the fact that Grayer's dad gives his new puppy away because he "can't stand the yapping."  You DO NOT give a child a beautiful, adorable golden retriever puppy, let him get attached to it, only to take it away because you can't stand the noise!!!

Granted, the dog still wound up in a good home.  But still, poor Grayer.

• Love 2

I always found the "What I Did for Love" scene from the A Chorus Line train wreck one of the dumbest scenes in the entire pantheon of movie musicals.  The conceit of the play is the sacrifices and the rewards the characters/dancers have received from dancing and how it has shaped each of them and in the musical the song is a love letter to the reason they are all there--dancing.

Soooo, the movie changes it to a love song between characters, completely undercutting the heart and soul of the musical.  Dumbest.Scene.Ever.

One of the biggest "not understanding your source material" gaffes I have ever seen and, to this day, it angers me to the core.

• Love 5

I watched August: Osage County (for the first time) today.  WTF with the one sister getting mad at Julia Roberts' character for not telling her their alleged cousin is actually their half brother, saying it's equal to their mom never telling her?  Hello!  Mother has had this info from day one, but Julia's character just found out, and was asked not to tell.  And why is it important to begin with?  Because this sister is FUCKING THEIR "COUSIN" (another bit of knowledge only recently acquired).  So someone should have thought to warn you your cousin is actually your half brother, so you wouldn't start banging him? 

• Love 3

I don't know what made me think of this, but a scene from Parenthood flashed through my mind the other day--one that made me think "Oh hell, no!".  When the mother was worried that her kid was on drugs, she decided to search his room.  The scene starts with her taking a crow bar and breaking the pad lock on his door.  Who lets their kid lock his/her door like that?!  They're allowed privacy, but locking their door while they are out of the house?  I don't think so.....

• Love 2

Among the many many many scenes that piss me off in Carrie is when the teacher reads Tommy's poem out loud in class and invited the kids to make their own criticism.  Carrie, who obviously never speaks up much in class, says that the poem is beautiful.  Now while other teachers (at least the ones I've known) would say something like "That's a very nice compliment, Carrie, but what specifically did you like about it?", this asshole proceeds to mock her compliment, and basically egg on the other kids to laugh at her.

The 2013 remake version of the scene was even worse.  The class is supposed to read out their favorite poem.  Carrie picks out some very deep, dark, religious poem.  Asshole Teacher is all, "Well, that was disturbing.  This is the most you've said all year. Anything else you wanna add or are you done scaring us for the day?"

I mean, it's bad enough that the poor girl was teased by her classmates and being abused by her mother.  Now even THE TEACHERS were giving her shit?!

• Love 5

I don't mind that he goes for Amy, because, at least in the version with Elizabeth Taylor as Amy and June Allyson as Jo, I CANNOT STAND Jo. She comes off as a passive aggressive bully. She tells Laurie she's happy he married Amy and then she's like, "yeah, but we know you love me." Ugh, hate her. I used to love that movie when I was a kid too.

• Love 1
(edited)

Easy A, when Mrs. Griffith, the guidance counselor that's cheating on her teacher husband with a student basically takes advantage of Olive's offer to say that she slept with the said student instead...and later when Olive tries to get her to help clear her name, Mrs.Griffith basically says it's her word against Olive and that no one would ever believe her.  What a bitch.

I realize that it was wrong for Olive to out her to her husband, but she did not "break up" the marriage.  That responsibility falls squarely on Mrs. Griffith shoulders.  She was the one that slept with one of her students (even if he was legally aged).

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6

"It's perfectly legal -- I checked!"

While Mrs. Griffith is the one who ruined her marriage - and, yeah, her "Who would you believe?" nastiness is a total "Oh, hell no!" moment - I love the way Olive expresses her regret about her role in ending it.  Telling Mr. Griffith she doesn't regret lying for his wife, but she hates herself for telling him the truth. 

• Love 2
(edited)

For me, the moment at toward the end of A League of Our Own when Dottie lets go of the ball so Kit can win. NO. My God, no. I get that we're meant to respect that she chose her sister but come on! Dottie was not the only woman on that team- her teammates worked just as hard as she did and deserved that win more than Kit did. Dottie had no right to throw the game like that just to appease her snotty little sister. (Kit never worked harder than anyone else and she wasn't smarter about the game.) And then at the end we find out that the sisters have barely spoken! All that and it didn't fix anything, winning didn't make Kit happy. God, I hate Kit and that moment so much.

ETA: Heh, just went back to read other people's "oh hell no" moments and read everyone's comments about this very moment. Glad to see I'm not alone!

Edited by slf
  • Love 8

I haven't seen the movie When Harry Met Sally in it's entirety for years, so correct me if I'm wrong on anything here:

I really like the movie, but I was always a bit unsettled about Sally's reaction to Harry after they had sex.  It was was awkward afterward and awkward yet again in the morning when he was leaving.  But, he stayed.  He didn't leave shortly after, but he stayed.  When she woke up and he was getting dressed, he said "I have to get to work, and so do you"--a perfectly reasonable (and true!) explanation as to why it was time to go.  He even asked her for dinner after work.  They both admitted that it was a mistake.  But, when he confronts her about whether or not they were ever going to move beyond it and be good friends again, one of her complaints is that he "sprinted" out the door?  Huh?  The slap I understood because he did make it sound like he took pity on her (wrong choice of words there, Harry!), but I never understood why her discomfort went on so long and that his leaving was one of her reasons for being angry.

I also don't get how she was the dog in the scenario.....

• Love 3
(edited)

A league of their own

I always felt Dottie left her team and should not been able to play. 

I hate when the characters leave everyone to fend for themselves then come back and the last minute to save the day.  Just makes me mad.  Maybe it's because I was the kid who sat on the bench even though I went to every practice & only got to play when the "star" player (who never attended any practices) decided to not to show up. Issues LOL

Maybe this should go in the UO thread but I liked Kit.  She wanted to win and although I agree Dottie dropped the ball.  Kit was playing to win and knocked her down.

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 2
On 6/4/2016 at 6:27 PM, Shannon L. said:

I haven't seen the movie When Harry Met Sally in it's entirety for years, so correct me if I'm wrong on anything here:

I really like the movie, but I was always a bit unsettled about Sally's reaction to Harry after they had sex.  It was was awkward afterward and awkward yet again in the morning when he was leaving.  But, he stayed.  He didn't leave shortly after, but he stayed.  When she woke up and he was getting dressed, he said "I have to get to work, and so do you"--a perfectly reasonable (and true!) explanation as to why it was time to go.  He even asked her for dinner after work.  They both admitted that it was a mistake.  But, when he confronts her about whether or not they were ever going to move beyond it and be good friends again, one of her complaints is that he "sprinted" out the door?  Huh?  The slap I understood because he did make it sound like he took pity on her (wrong choice of words there, Harry!), but I never understood why her discomfort went on so long and that his leaving was one of her reasons for being angry.

I also don't get how she was the dog in the scenario.....

But he didn't just leave. He weirded out on her before he left. They were good friends who joked around and could always talk to each other, but all of a sudden, things were awkward between them. Harry became silent and emotionally distant. And Sally wearing that goofy grin on her face wasn't helping things, either. But why couldn't he tell her that he felt awkward--that they'd been friends for years and had just crossed a line that couldn't be uncrossed, and he had take time to process it? Harry had already told Sally that he lied to women after sex and made up excuses about why he had to leave, and Sally thought their encounter would different from his other one night stands. So that's why she was hurt. She didn't say they'd made a mistake until Harry made it clear that he thought they'd made a mistake. 

Harry compared Sally to a dog who held onto a bone and refused to let it go, suggesting that she was holding onto the bad feelings from their encounter and refusing to let them go. 

On 3/13/2016 at 11:21 AM, wallflower75 said:

An original "Oh HELL No!" for me is Lance's reaction to the discovery of Mia's infidelity in The Best Man.  It's hypocritical given how much he ran around on her that he was ready to call off the wedding because she had a one-night-stand ten years earlier.  Sure, two wrongs don't make a right.  Yes, she twisted the knife by choosing to sleep with his best friend.  And the timing of the discovery was awful.  But all the same, as he was on the verge of killing Harper, I'm like, "Really?  You don't think you brought this on yourself by screwing around on her all those years?"

I totally agree. Maybe Mia shouldn't have chosen Harper for her one night stand, but Lance had no right to be upset about her cheating on him. 

Harry had already told Sally that he lied to women after sex and made up excuses about why he had to leave, and Sally thought their encounter would different from his other one night stands.

I understand that she thought it would be different, but, he did stay until morning and had a legitimate excuse before leaving. 

She didn't say they'd made a mistake until Harry made it clear that he thought they'd made a mistake. 

Didn't she say it first? Didn't she hope that she could say it first?  I remember the scene as her saying it and him agreeing, saying it was great, but shouldn't have happened.  Unless you are talking about his behavior that morning being her clue that he thought it was a mistake.

Harry compared Sally to a dog who held onto a bone and refused to let it go, suggesting that she was holding onto the bad feelings from their encounter and refusing to let them go. 

That makes sense, but they way they phrased it:  "One year to a person is 7 years to a dog...."  That to me means that the dog in the scenario would think it's been 7 years, but the person would think it was 1 year.  In other words her comment of "it just happened" made me think that she was the person ("One year ago!") but Harry would be the dog ("no, it's been 7!" )

I don't know--you make some great points, but I still found the whole situation irritating.  Of course, I've been known to over think things :)

• Love 1

The whole premise of A Walk on the Moon pissed me off.  Yet another bored housewife using her missed youth as an excuse to go fuck another man. And of course the husband takes her back at the end.  *rolls eyes*

• Love 3

I was watching Never Been Kissed for the millionth time yesterday, and I just have to put in how angry/sad I get for Josie when she flashes back to her high school prom and that asshole Billy asks her to prom, only to pelt her with eggs with his actual date as she waits outside for him.  She goes from looking so excited, to utterly humiliated within 15 seconds and its heartbreaking.  

• Love 8
23 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I was watching Never Been Kissed for the millionth time yesterday, and I just have to put in how angry/sad I get for Josie when she flashes back to her high school prom and that asshole Billy asks her to prom, only to pelt her with eggs with his actual date as she waits outside for him.  She goes from looking so excited, to utterly humiliated within 15 seconds and its heartbreaking.  

EVERY scene where Drew takes crap of any kind in that movie made me want to put my fist through the wall.  Not just from those bullies, but her jerk boss for basically forcing her to flirt with her teacher so they can write a story on her being a pervert and then bitching her out after she comes clean.  I already wrote a post earlier in this thread about her asshole brother, so the less said about him, the better.

• Love 4
On 1/4/2015 at 9:49 AM, Luckylyn said:

The scene in the Spanglish with the too small clothes was just awful.  She was so happy her mother did something nice for her only to realize nothing fit and it was just further pressure to lose weight.  The whole thing where she showers someone else's daughter with attention while just fixating on her daughter's weight was just horrible.   She takes Christina out shopping and doesn't think to invite her own daughter.   She was so disrespectful of Flor by taking her daughter places without permission and lying about Christina needing to sleep over for school work when it was actually a slumber party for Christina's friends.   I totally understand Flor's determination to get Christina away from that woman's influence.  What other lies was that she going to teach Flor's daughter to tell her mother?  Plus, she was encouraging the daughter to be ashamed of her mother by having Christina invite her friends to Tea Leoni's house instead of Flor's.

RAGE. Rage is what that scene made me feel! Poor Bernice was already painfully aware that she wasn't conventionally pretty enough for her mother's taste and was desperate for her mother's affection and respect. So Deborah came in with bags full of trendy new clothes and Bernice was just awed and ecstatic because for once it seemed like her mother was taking an interest in her, trying to bond with her. And the clothes were too small. Intentionally. There's no way Deborah didn't know those clothes wouldn't fit, she wanted to shame her daughter into losing weight. Watching Bernice realize that, watching her face fall, was just so heartbreaking. That poor girl.

Thankfully Flor was a wonderful, warm woman who stepped up and told Bernice she was perfect just the way she was. It was so sweet of her to take the time to alter those clothes so Bernice could wear them.

Adam Sandler's character, though, was ultimately just as bad because he had no excuse for letting that go on. He should've stepped up and protected his daughter. Like, the housekeeper does not have more agency in this situation than the father and yet it was the housekeeper who actually tried to help the poor girl.

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree that Adam Sandler's character should have stepped up and put an end to it. But at the same time, I can understand how being married to that nightmare of a woman would have beaten him down. Every time he tried to argue against her particular brand of parenting, she would twist things around, narcissistically making it sound like he was always undermining her, making her out to be the "bad guy" so that the kids would like him better, playing the victim, etc.

Also, as someone earlier on the thread pointed out, she was fully the type that would have made a divorce miserable in terms of a custody battle. It also doesn't help that most family courts tend to award custody to the mother.

You know, any other guy in his position might have snapped and killed her. The fact that he didn't is amazing.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Also, as someone earlier on the thread pointed out, she was fully the type that would have made a divorce miserable in terms of a custody battle. It also doesn't help that most family courts tend to award custody to the mother.

You know, any other guy in his position might have snapped and killed her. The fact that he didn't is amazing.

Nope. Father's don't petition in more than 90% of cases but when they do they get at least joint custody about 75% of the time. The "courts favor the mother" myth was made up largely by men's groups and has unfortunately become widely believed. The really sick part is that nothing works against a father petitioning- he can have a history of violence, can even been convicted of a violent crime and still get custody. Heck, many states protect a man's parental rights even if he's a rapist and the child was born to a victim.

Adam Sandler's character would have gotten custody if he'd tried to, especially with his access to money. I'm sure Deborah would've been an awful ex but still, Sandler's character could've gotten primary or sole custody pretty easily.

• Love 5

Judge Judy used to be a family court judge before she got her show, and she really comes down on women who talk about the children as being "her" child instead of ":our" child, and thinking that they would automatically get custody.

(edited)
18 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Judge Judy used to be a family court judge before she got her show, and she really comes down on women who talk about the children as being "her" child instead of ":our" child, and thinking that they would automatically get custody.

If they were bad mothers then it certainly would be the right reaction. I've never really watched her show so I can't comment.

I love The Princess Bride but when Wesley raises his hand like he's going to slap Buttercup and is a jerk to her because she believed he was dead and moved on...oh hell no. 

Edited by slf
  • Love 4

It also doesn't help that most family courts tend to award custody to the mother.

As noted, that is not true in cases where custody is contested -- in those cases, custody is more often awarded to the father.  The prevalence of mothers with primary custody comes not from fathers petitioning for it and being denied, but from them never asking for custody to begin with (not always because they're jerks who don't want to parent the kids they created; it also happens where the two parents agree circumstances make Mom's home the best one for the child).

• Love 6

Thanks for the info about custody cases. That clears things up.

I'd like to think Deborah confessing to the affair (and then acting like she still had control over what happened in their marriage) was the straw that broke the camel's back for him, and that he finally manned up and divorced her shrill ass. But I could still see her guilting him into not cutting her off completely from the kids.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, slf said:

I love The Princess Bride but when Wesley raises his hand like he's going to slap Buttercup and is a jerk to her because she's believed he was dead and moved on...oh hell no. 

Oh, me too. I don't care Westley is testing and/or messing with her, that was just shitty. Even worse? Westley eventually became a pirate king (or whatever), and that means he has quite a bit of clout, right? 

So why didn't he find a way to come back to Buttercup, or at least send word to her that he was alive?!?!

Seriously, he could have done anything! He could have hijacked a ship and made them do it, visited some soothsayer to find out how Buttercup was, gotten hold of carrier pigeons... something, anything!

And, dude, need I remind you that Buttercup thought you were dead?! If you were told someone was killed at sea by pirates and said person is not the type to have any means of defending themselves, you're going to believe the awful news without question! And couldn't you see Buttercup was not happy to be marrying Humperdink? She had to marry him, he was the prince, and she had zero say in the matter! And since we're never told that Buttercup was with anyone else in the years between news of Westley's death and her engagement to Humperdink, I think that's proof positive that she was more than "faithful" to Westley's memory!

As much as I still love The Princess Bride, I've since started looking at Buttercup and Westley's relationship under a microscope... and I don't care much for what I see.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Thanks for the info about custody cases. That clears things up.

I'd like to think Deborah confessing to the affair (and then acting like she still had control over what happened in their marriage) was the straw that broke the camel's back for him, and that he finally manned up and divorced her shrill ass. But I could still see her guilting him into not cutting her off completely from the kids.

No problem! Oh yeah, Deborah seems like she'd be a nightmare of an ex. She's a narcissist and has no problem emotionally and mentally abusing a kid- losing custody of her children and having her husband dump her? I see her trying to get access to the kids and manipulate them, and probably developing a victim complex ("I'm not perfect but I'm trying, I'm being punished for being human, no one loves me, etc").

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Oh, me too. I don't care Westley is testing and/or messing with her, that was just shitty. Even worse? Westley eventually became a pirate king (or whatever), and that means he has quite a bit of clout, right? 

So why didn't he find a way to come back to Buttercup, or at least send word to her that he was alive?!?!

Seriously, he could have done anything! He could have hijacked a ship and made them do it, visited some soothsayer to find out how Buttercup was, gotten hold of carrier pigeons... something, anything!

And, dude, need I remind you that Buttercup thought you were dead?! If you were told someone was killed at sea by pirates and said person is not the type to have any means of defending themselves, you're going to believe the awful news without question! And couldn't you see Buttercup was not happy to be marrying Humperdink? She had to marry him, he was the prince, and she had zero say in the matter! And since we're never told that Buttercup was with anyone else in the years between news of Westley's death and her engagement to Humperdink, I think that's proof positive that she was more than "faithful" to Westley's memory!

As much as I still love The Princess Bride, I've since started looking at Buttercup and Westley's relationship under a microscope... and I don't care much for what I see.

Yes, yes, all of this. Like, dude, you were actually alive the whole time and let her believe you were dead- you don't get to judge her, much less threaten her! I mean the movie is goofy as hell so I try not to analyze it too much, but that moment when he raises his hand always takes me out of the fun. He absolutely deserved to get pushed down that hill.

• Love 4
(edited)

And another thing: Would it have literally killed Westley to apologize to Buttercup? A simple "I'm sorry, I just missed you like crazy, and was worried you'd forgotten me and were actually happy to be marrying that weasel Humperdink. Boy, was I an asshat for questioning your faithfulness! I ought to feed myself to an ROUS!"

Westley, Buttercup's spent the last five years of her life moping over you. Wouldn't you all agree she's passed the "faithfulness" test with flying colors?!

Moving along, every time Dr. Sloper makes a passive aggressive/outwardly cruel remark towards Catherine in The Heiress, I have to fight the urge to punch a hole in the screen. It astonishes me that people think Dr. Sloper "has a point". Um, the hell? You think it's acceptable to mistreat your child, treat them as a cheap substitute for your deceased spouse, and not appreciate their kind, loving nature? 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 4

Bruce's reaction to Alfred's confession about burning Rachel's letter in The Dark Knight Rises infuriates me. Yes, Bruce had the right to be mad about the letter, but accusing Alfred of "destroying his world"? Just because the dead woman you put on a pedestal didn't really love you back?  Dude, don't be such a drama queen.

Alfred was always there for him. Rachel wasn't. She gave him mixed signals, strung him along, lied to his face about waiting for him, and finally only had the guts to tell him the truth in a Dear John letter. She was not worth becoming a recluse over, and she DEFINITELY was not worth destroying the most important relationship you had left over!

• Love 4

Maggie might as well have been playing a totally different character who just happened to have the same name of Rachel. For all that I can't stand Katie Holmes, at least her Rachel, by the end of Batman Begins, I could see she had feelings for him. Don't get me started on her self-righteous and judgmental holier than thou attitude toward Bruce when he bought a gun to kill the man who murdered his parents. Or that she would even know if his father would be ashamed.

But Maggie's Rachel, from the moment she had scenes with Bruce, held him in contempt, and acted like he was shit she had to scrape off her shoe. For that alone, I detested her.

So, right there with you, @Spartan Girl regarding Bruce's behavior toward Alfred.  At least they made up by the end of the movie. 

Though I will never understand why Batman AND Bruce had to "die." And no one will convince me that he was happy with Selena.  True to her nature, she probably, no definitely screwed Bruce over when something more exciting came along.

And this should probably go in the Unpopular Opinion thread, but I didn't like Alfred walking away from Bruce when he knew WHY Bruce donned the cape and cowl and why he continued to fight crime. 

• Love 1