Type keyword(s) to search

"Oh HELL No!" Movie Moments That Anger Up the Blood

• Start Topic

(edited)

What made me furious is that the whole thing could have been avoided if the wife hadn't acted like such a psycho bitch and assumed the worst of Ryan without even listening to his side of the story.

Seeing as the crime she thought he had committed was one that in reality she had herself done, I would say that was some big time projecting which would indicate a guilty conscience on her part about lying to him for so long. But if the movie doesn't even hint at this then it's some character development wasted IMO.

Edited by raezen
  • Love 2

Some friends on FB were talking about Alan Rickman and it reminded me of an Oh hell, no! moment:

I love Sense and Sensibility.  I really do.  But, I can never really be happy that Marianne and Col. Brandon got together at the end.  She treated him horribly and fawned over Willoughby right in front of him, even knowing how he felt about her.  She even went so far as to only accept an invitation to a party he was throwing after he told her that Willougby would be there.  But, after her heart is broken, she's finally good with the Colonel and he's still in love with her!  The only thing about that that made me happy was how heartbroken Willoughby looked at the end when he was watching the wedding party.  Serves him right.  But, with the marriage?  I just can't....

• Love 3

Wow, that does sound awful. Never saw the movie or read the book, but I thought it was cute that Alan Rickman got to marry Kate Winslet in a movie...

The mom in Stephen King's Cat's Eye pissed me off. Her dislike of the cat was just annoying, and I really hated how even after the cat SAVED HER DAUGHTER'S LIFE, Drew Barrymore still had to blackmail her into letting the cat stay.

Spartan Girl, if you like dramas (complete with some good wit and some romance), then it's well worth seeing.  Beautifully acted, the sets and costumes are great and the main storyline with Eleanor is wonderful.  It's just the marriage I couldn't get behind. 

(edited)

To Marianne's immense credit, she at least acknowledged her flawed behavior (her self-absorption, her drama queen tendencies, her judgmental attitude towards Elinor) . Most movie characters (hell, most people in real life) never do that. I also like that her feelings for Col. Brandon take time to blossom, and she sees that he inhabits the qualities she admires after all. Plus, Col. Brandon should be commended for never once displaying any "Nice Guy" tendencies. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 7

Marianne was 16 and very immature in the book.  Col. Brandon was 35, only a few years younger than her mother, so it's not surprising she'd fall for a dashing, handsome young man over (in her perception) old, boring Colonel B.  It took nearly dying for her to get the "sense" part.

The movie line where he says to Elinor something like, "Give me employment or I shall run mad," is really swoon worthy.

• Love 7

To Marianne's immense credit, she at least acknowledged her flawed behavior (her self-absorption, her drama queen tendencies, her judgmental attitude towards Elinor) . Most movie characters (hell, most people in real life) never do that.

You're right.  She did do that. I just couldn't get over why he continued to pursue a relationship with her.  But, it was a different time, so I should probably remember to view it through that lens.  What do you mean by "Nice Guy" tendencies?

Haleth, I like that line, too.

• Love 1
(edited)

You're right.  She did do that. I just couldn't get over why he continued to pursue a relationship with her.  But, it was a different time, so I should probably remember to view it through that lens.  What do you mean by "Nice Guy" tendencies?

Nice Guy Syndrome defined.

I hate how the father in Albatross is not only having a skanky affair with his teenaged daughter's best friend, but cruelly dismisses his sweet, dutiful, studious daughter as dull and "spiritless". He even criticizes an outfit she's wearing as "lifeless". Dude, not only is that a shitty, uncalled-for thing to say, it's also creepy as all get out. She's your daughter, not your damned geisha (or, you know, your underaged mistress).

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 3

Thing is, if you squint the definition would apply to Julia Roberts in My Best Friend's Wedding too. Its a funny movie and I really enjoy it, but Roberts spends most of it behaving like she's thisclose to boiling a bunny. "He was in love with me for nine Goddamned years. Me!" "I can see why." Sure, she wakes up and realizes that the guy she's been chasing after really does love the woman he's engaged to, and she apologizes for her terrible behavior, but that she doesn't do so until she's almost wrecked the upcoming wedding is exactly what a Nice Guy would do. "It's amazing the clarity that comes with psychotic jealousy," indeed.

• Love 7
(edited)

Damn skippy about Julia Roberts' character. She was absolutely horrid.

Another Tea Leoni moment in Spanglish that made me furious was when she took Flor's daughter for a day out without asking Flor, and also not even considering to take her own daughter out with them! The hurt look on Bernice's face made me want to kill that woman!

Worse still was how when everyone tried to point out how insensitive she was to Flor about that whole situation, especially when Flor could barely speak English, she managed to twist it into yet another "everyone is out to get me/no one is ever going to take my side" rant. And when her own mother tries to tell her that, she has the nerve to say that " Don't go there or I'LL go there!" shit.

Heh, when she was complaining to Bernice "If I ever get that way when I'm that old, please shoot me," I bet Bernice was thinking, "Oh, I'm not going to wait that long..."

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6

I know the infamous spanking at the end [of McClintock!] isn't something that would be PC these days, but I can't blame the townspeople for laughing and cheering him on after the way she treated everyone like something she stepped in.

That scene makes me angry for entirely different reasons. I loathe John Wayne movies in general, because the underlying premise of any male/female relationship always seems to be that the male is right and entitled to impose his will on the female, and the female is always wrong and needs to be taught a serious lesson, by being spanked, that her proper role is to always obey the male. In the case of O'Hara's character, if I'd had to live in a place I hated for 18 years or whatever, married to a man who paid no attention to the fact that I hated the place, and then noticed lipstick on him at a time when women who wore cosmetics were generally prostitutes, I'd have been bitchy as well and left him. Despite the plot element that she shows back up because she wants a divorce, in reality at that time she would have had virtually no way to obtain a divorce and so if she wanted out of the marriage, the only way out was to leave him. But even if I concede that she was being unreasonably bitchy and snobby with the other characters, for a man to spank his wife in public and subject her to that sort of humiliation is just not cool in any way. He had no regard for the fact that she hated the place; it was just, "Hey, I'm the husband and you will do as I say and live where I say to live. And if you dare to disagree with me, well, I'll spank you until you know better than to do that."  Add to that the interaction in which another male chastises O'Hara's daughter for having a harmless good time on a ride with her suitor, essentially implying that she's on her way to becoming a slut, only to have her overreact and demand her father to shoot the guy, all of which serves to set up the male spanking the daughter to teach her a lesson, just... no. And of course the daughter falls in love with the guy who spanked her.

If the roles had been reversed and it had been Wayne's character who hated where they lived and so left, the outcome and characterizations would have been quite different. Which is what more or less happens in another Wayne movie I hate, Donovan's Reef. In that movie, one of Wayne's BFFs is a doctor who has spent the last 20-something years on a tropical island providing medical care for the inhabitants. When his grown daughter shows up as a successful businesswoman, she is somehow the temporary villain for failing to understand that her father was a big damn hero for living where he does. The fact that she had never met her father, because he couldn't be bothered in 20+ years to go see her even once, is completely glossed over with a throwaway comment that he had felt he wasn't needed back in Boston and so decided to stay on the island. So his wife had died and his daughter had no actual parent in Boston to raise her, but he wasn't needed there. And of course this all culminates in her falling in love with Wayne's character, who proceeds to spank her while announcing that in their future household, he will be the one wearing the pants. I cannot watch either of those movies because I can literally feel my blood pressure rising from the rage I feel during those scenes. Hell, even in True Grit, there is a spanking scene in which Wayne doesn't stop another male from spanking a  young female character until Wayne feels that the guy is "enjoying it too much."  Wayne's objection isn't that the guy has no right whatsoever to punish the girl, but only to his taking pleasure in it. For me, just the presence of John Wayne in a movie is enough to anger up the blood, because he's always playng the same character, a self-righteous prick who thinks the entire purpose of women is to do as he tells them to do, no questions asked. So in the case of Maureen O'Hara's character, even though I don't really like her, I always find myself thinking that a day or two after the end of the movie, she gets Wayne drunk, and leaves him naked in a very public place, with a note that she has left him for good this time because he has such a small dick. If he was entitled to humiliate her in public that way, then she is entitled to do the same to him.

• Love 5

The townspeople in Beauty and the Beast always bothered me in how quickly they wrote off Belle and her dad for being different while worshipping Gaston as some big hero. None of them seemed to have any qualms about him trying to force her to marry him by springing a surprise wedding on her or worse by trying to lock her father up. And don't even get get me started on how Gaston easily swayed them to form a lynch mob to kill the Beast -- who never even set one foot in their village.

When some people accuse Belle of falling victim to Stockholm Syndrome, part of me thinks that maybe part of her was just grateful to get away from a town filled with narrow-minded guillible yokels.

• Love 11

The townspeople in Beauty and the Beast always bothered me in how quickly they wrote off Belle and her dad for being different while worshipping Gaston as some big hero. None of them seemed to have any qualms about him trying to force her to marry him by springing a surprise wedding on her or worse by trying to lock her father up. And don't even get get me started on how Gaston easily swayed them to form a lynch mob to kill the Beast -- who never even set one foot in their village.

When some people accuse Belle of falling victim to Stockholm Syndrome, part of me thinks that maybe part of her was just grateful to get away from a town filled with narrow-minded guillible yokels.

Amen to that. I can't believe that not one person- not one person!- dared to speak up and say something like,

"Uh, guys? Y'know, I don't think Gaston has ever gone on a date with Belle, since we've only ever seen her shoot him down. Do you really think it's right for him to spring a wedding for her just yards away from her house, with us as her uninvited guests? I mean, if I were her, I'd, oh, I dunno, be kind of humiliated or something!"

or 

"Hey, guys? Y'know, this Beast has never actually... bothered us before, so I can only assume he isn't really a threat! Don't you think it's better to just leave him alone, especially if he's as scary as he sounds! Which, now that I think about it, he isn't, since Belle is alive and well and, gosh, as you can see, not his prisoner now!"

• Love 9
(edited)

I think Kimmy in My Best Friend's Wedding strikes me as almost as snaky as Julianne. There's something incredibly false about her sugary treatment of Julianne. She treats her as a rival from the beginning; perhaps this was sensible, as things turned out, but her passive-aggressive fakery set my teeth on edge. (Actually, Cameron Diaz sets my teeth on edge, but that's a rant of a different (and more general) colour.)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

I think Kimmy in My Best Friend's Wedding strikes me as almost as snaky as Julianne. There's something incredibly false about her sugary treatment of Julianne. She treats her as a rival from the beginning; perhaps this was sensible, as things turned out, but her passive-aggressive fakery set my teeth on edge. (Actually, Cameron Diaz sets my teeth on edge, but that's a rant of a different (and more general) colour.)

Oh, totally, and Julianne calls her out on it during the ladies' room faceoff.  

Kimmy:  - You came here...pretending to be my friend, and I made you my maid of honor!

Julianne:  Who asked you to do that? You knew me what, eight minutes?

K:  Michael trusted you, so I trusted you.

J:  You wanted to keep me close.  You didn't trust me for a second.

K:   I was right!

J:    Of course you were right.

I am on the other side of the Cameron Diaz fence; I can't stand Julia Roberts, but will watch MBFW, partly for Ms Diaz's goofy-manic performance, and partly for the Burt Bacharach soundtrack.  

• Love 5

Even if Julienne had a point about Kimmy, her behavior was still reprehensible. And I think both she and Michael acted like total assholes for most of the film; I almost wish Kimmy had dumped him at the end.

• Love 7

I wish they would do a follow up and call it My Best Friends Next Wedding, because I didn't for a second see any staying power in that marriage, and the twist could be that it's Kimmy's second marriage.

• Love 2
(edited)

The scene that pissed me off in My Best Friend's Wedding was when Kimmy gently suggests to Michael that he could maybe take a job at her father's company so he'd not only make more money, but he'd be home more and she'd be able to finish college instead of going on the road with him. Instead of politely saying no, or tactfully offering to discuss it later like a civilized adult, Michael (who the movie paints as this prize of a man) proceeds to turn into every man in a Lifetime Original Movie and loudly, cruelly, viciously rakes Kimmy over the coals in public (they're at a restaurant), nastily insults his future father-in-law's position as a "sell-out job", accuses Kimmy of being manipulative and unsupportive (uh, she was going to give up college for you, asshole), and threatens to dump her. Instead of dropping Michael right then and there like a sane, rational person, Kimmy bursts into tears and caves into his unreasonable, selfish demands.

I'm well aware Julianne nudged Kimmy into doing this, thinking it would break the two of them up, but after witnessing that, it never crosses her mind that not only would she be doing Kimmy a favor by having Michael dump her, but that she dodged a bullet by not marrying this sexist, narrow-minded, entitled, egotistical douche bag. Seriously, what self-respecting woman would ever want to marry that shit stain?

Even if Julienne had a point about Kimmy, her behavior was still reprehensible. And I think both she and Michael acted like total assholes for most of the film; I almost wish Kimmy had dumped him at the end.

No "almost" for me, friend, I definitely wish she had dumped him in the end. Hell, I'm horrible enough to wish that George would turn straight, run off with Kimmy, and Julianne and Michael would marry and live miserably ever after.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 9

I'm well aware Julianne nudged Kimmy into doing this, thinking it would break the two of them up, but after witnessing that, it never crosses her mind that not only would she be doing Kimmy a favor by having Michael dump her, but that she dodged a bullet by not marrying this sexist, narrow-minded, entitled, egotistical douche bag. Seriously, what self-respecting woman would ever want to marry that shit stain?

I don't know about self-respecting, but the manipulative, sneaky, big-haired food critic who flew in for the specific purpose of breaking up the impending wedding (under the guise of being Michael's friend, lest we forget) seemed to think he was a catch. The only one who behaved even remotely sanely was George, who got dragged into Julianne's stupid crap against his will, and retaliated hilariously.

"You're going to humiliate me, aren't you?"

"Only if I can."

I am on the other side of the Cameron Diaz fence; I can't stand Julia Roberts, but will watch MBFW, partly for Ms Diaz's goofy-manic performance, and partly for the Burt Bacharach soundtrack.  

I do have to admit, the sing-along at the luncheon kills me. "Do you know the way to San Jose, la la la la la la la la la!"

• Love 5

I do have to admit, the sing-along at the luncheon kills me. "Do you know the way to San Jose, la la la la la la la la la!"

The guy in the back with the lobster mitts totally makes that scene (for me). 

• Love 2

I wish they would do a follow up and call it My Best Friends Next Wedding, because I didn't for a second see any staying power in that marriage, and the twist could be that it's Kimmy's second marriage.

I can only hope that Kimmie dumped Michael because he was a grumpy jerk and found someone better!

• Love 3

I can only hope that Kimmie dumped Michael because he was a grumpy jerk and found someone better!

That would be cool but my main point was wouldn't it shake things up if when forced to choose sides Jules ended up siding with Kimmy and NOT Michael. That means that Jules and Kimmy are ththe best friends.

• Love 2
(edited)

No, no.  Say a little prayer.  Gotta keep your Dionne songs straight.  

And I want lobster oven mitts.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4

Instead of dropping Michael right then and there like a sane, rational person, Kimmy bursts into tears and caves into his unreasonable, selfish demands.

This is why I couldn't see their marriage working out in the long run.  Kimmy probably figured that she could talk Michael into the job offer after they were settled, but who would want to get married based on a false hope?  Michael and Julianne really did deserve each other, because only the naive or foolish would put up with their shit.

What I could see happening was Kimmy resenting her husband eventually, once the afterglow is gone and she has kids.  She doesn't have a job, she can't finish college, and she can't set down any roots because she's being schlepped all over the country for her husband's career.  

Relationships (not just marriage) take compromise, but Michael is so adamantly stubborn and Kimmy is the only one making a sacrifice.  Once the honeymoon phase is over and Michael is busy at work, what's left for Kimmy?

• Love 4
(edited)

While on the subject of Cameron Diaz, her character in My Sister's Keeper infuriated me, not just for the way she treated Anna as more or less an organ donor for Kate, but the way she insisted on Anna giving up her liver even though the doctor flat-out told her that Kate probably wouldn't survive a transplant anyway, meaning she was endangering Anna for nothing. And the way she just dismisses Anna's understandable reasoning that she wants to be healthy enough to play sports and basically live her own life is just awful.

Yes, it's hard having a child with cancer, but what the hell kind of mother would put that pressure of being an organ donor on a little girl?! The scene where she's cross-examining Anna, laying on the guilt trip and all but blaming her for Kate dying makes me want to put my fist through a wall.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4

While on the subject of Cameron Diaz, her character in My Sister's Keeper infuriated me, not just for the way she treated Anna as more or less an organ donor for Kate, but the way she insisted on Anna giving up her liver even though the doctor flat-out told her that Kate probably wouldn't survive a transplant anyway, meaning she was endangering Anna for nothing. And the way she just dismisses Anna's understandable reasoning that she wants to be healthy enough to play sports and basically live her own life is just awful.

Yes, it's hard having a child with cancer, but what the hell kind of mother would put that pressure of being an organ donor on a little girl?! The scene where she's cross-examining Anna, laying on the guilt trip and all but blaming her for Kate dying makes me want to put my fist through a wall.

Isn't the whole point of the movie/book that Anna was literally conceived and born to be an organ donor for Kate?

• Love 2

Jodi Picoult pisses me off in general, because she's one of those hack writers who create utterly, thoroughly, maddeningly loathsome characters and has the audacity to call them "complex". No, Sara in My Sister's Keeper is just a shit mom and a shit human being, period. I defy anyone to offer a rebuttal.

• Love 8

More hate for Atonement.  Briony's putting the scene in her last book where Ronnie & her sister Cecilia told her off for what she had done to them didn't mean shit to me because it was all her fault in the first place,  because of her being a selfish, stupid, spoiled brat with a crush on Ronnie, who committed the cardinal sin of loving Cecilia instead of her.

Ronnie & Cecelia's deaths may not have technically been Briony's fault, but  Briony's lies were responsible for destroying two innocent lives-including her own sister's- and letting a guilty man get away with murder. As for the ending, I think that Ronnie & Cecelia went to Heaven when they died and I hope that Briony went to Hell, which would have served her right, as far as I'm concerned. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

The scene in The Sixth Sense where we find out the woman poisoned her own daughter (and was in the process of starting on her youngest daughter). And the fact that the bitch had the gall to wear a red dress to the funeral was just unspeakable.

• Love 6

The scene in The Sixth Sense where we find out the woman poisoned her own daughter (and was in the process of starting on her youngest daughter). And the fact that the bitch had the gall to wear a red dress to the funeral was just unspeakable.

Oh, indeed! I wanted more from that storyline than just showing that her family found out...I wanted violence. That bitch, at minimum, earned a swift uppercut

• Love 4

Was I the only one kind of pissed off at Helen Hunt's character in Cast Away? Yes, it was understandable that she moved on with her life when she thought he was dead, but he'd been on that island for four years, which was roughly how old her daughter seemed to be. So it didn't seem to take her THAT long to move on with her life. Just saying...

And I thought the welcome back party they threw for Tom Hanks was insensitive. Seafood?! Really!?! The guy had been living on seafood for four freaking years!!

Also thought it was kind of douchey for Helen Hunt's husband to be the one to approach Tom and tell her to give her space. They could have easily had a mutual friend be the one to tell him that.

• Love 4

Totally agree, Spartan Girl.  I thought it was so unfair of her to make her husband talk with Tom's character.  Unfair to both of the men.  Suck it up, lady, and be a grown-up.  As my mother would say,  she embodies "the insensitivity of sensitive people."

• Love 2

One thing that really pissed me off in Straight Outta Compton

was the way that some members of the LAPD treated the group, especially Ice Cube and his family. After the cops harassed them just for standing outside the recording studio and minding their own business, I not only didn't blame them for making "Fuck Tha Police," I was impressed that they did it so fast

• Love 2

I stumbled across the movie Stepmom a few years ago.  Susan Sarandon plays a divorced mom who finds out she is dying and has to deal with her children being raised by Julia Roberts' character, her ex-husband's fiancee.  There is this big emotional moment when Julia's character tells Susan's character that her biggest fear is that on the daughter's wedding day after she helps her get ready, the daughter is only going to be thinking about Susan's character.  Say WHAT?!?!  How horribly selfish can you be?  "Hey, dying mom, you know those kids you love more than life and now have to leave?  Can you imagine how hard it will be for me if they remember you on their special days?  I mean, how am I supposed to cope after you die if they still love you and want to talk about you?"  They showed it as some bonding moment between the two.  I'd have belted her, banking on the fact that no jury would convict me.  To quote this thread, "Oh HELL no!"

• Love 10

I stumbled across the movie Stepmom a few years ago.  Susan Sarandon plays a divorced mom who finds out she is dying and has to deal with her children being raised by Julia Roberts' character, her ex-husband's fiancee.  There is this big emotional moment when Julia's character tells Susan's character that her biggest fear is that on the daughter's wedding day after she helps her get ready, the daughter is only going to be thinking about Susan's character.  Say WHAT?!?!  How horribly selfish can you be?  "Hey, dying mom, you know those kids you love more than life and now have to leave?  Can you imagine how hard it will be for me if they remember you on their special days?  I mean, how am I supposed to cope after you die if they still love you and want to talk about you?"  They showed it as some bonding moment between the two.  I'd have belted her, banking on the fact that no jury would convict me.  To quote this thread, "Oh HELL no!"

Everyone in Stepmom is an obnoxious, horrible person; from Ed Harris's gross, slimy, unrepentant philanderer, to Jena Malone's whiny brat, to Susan Sarandon's smug martyr (though I haven't seen the movie since high school, so maybe I'd find her more sympathetic now), to Julia Roberts being, well, Julia Roberts. It's almost like The Family Stone, where the movie thinks these people are charming and wonderful when they're anything but, which makes the whole experience even more infuriating.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 7

I know The Woman in Red is supposed to be a farce, but Gene Wilder's character's behavior is just disgusting: coming up with all those elaborate schemes just to cover up his attempts to cheat on his wife. What a sleazoid. I'm fond of Gene Wilder but his character just made me angry.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

Is the purpose of this thread to discuss moments that were not INTENDED to enrage you but did or moments where the goal of the filmmaker was to enrage and it succeeded?  Or both?

I think both. It's really a catch all for any movie moment that enraged you, intentional or not.

• Love 1

I know The Woman in Red is supposed to be a farce, but Gene Wilder's character's behavior is just disgusting: coming up with all those elaborate schemes just to cover up his attempts to cheat on his wife. What a sleazoid. I'm fond of Gene Wilder but his character just made me angry.

Funny you should mention this movie.  I remember seeing it in theatres back in the day and here's a surprising reaction from the audience at the time:

The whole time everyone is laughing at Gene Wilder's antics.  The moment between him and his fantasy girl gets closer and closer - I got the feeling that people were rooting for him to succeed.  They

finally get into bed and were just about to "make it happen" when they're interrupted.  It's her husband!  Turns out she was a cheat as well!!  She had her wedding ring hidden in a drawer.  She puts it on.  She shoos Gene's character out of the room while her husband, none the wiser, gets laid while poor Gene is stuck listening through the door.  He leaves dejected.

At the very moment of the reveal, I heard loud boos from the audience!  They were mad that

she was cheating 

but not mad at Gene for his lusting after someone else! 

• Love 2

Some friends on FB were talking about Alan Rickman and it reminded me of an Oh hell, no! moment:

I love Sense and Sensibility.  I really do.  But, I can never really be happy that Marianne and Col. Brandon got together at the end.  She treated him horribly and fawned over Willoughby right in front of him, even knowing how he felt about her.  She even went so far as to only accept an invitation to a party he was throwing after he told her that Willougby would be there.  But, after her heart is broken, she's finally good with the Colonel and he's still in love with her!  The only thing about that that made me happy was how heartbroken Willoughby looked at the end when he was watching the wedding party.  Serves him right.  But, with the marriage?  I just can't....

Requoting this because I finally saw the movie over the weekend (RIP Alan Rickman), and I agree that Marianne could have been a bit nicer to him (or at least more polite) but it would have been worse if she intentionally led him on. He knew that she wasn't interested in him because of his age, and unlike the many Nice Guys in shows, he didn't try to pursue her anyway, though he continued to look out for her welfare. And while it kind of does feel like she married him on the rebound, part of me really believed that she genuinely came to admire him for his virtues.

What DID piss me off was how Willoughby made fun of him behind his back. Especially knowing what that asshole did to his foster daughter. He had some nerve....

• Love 4

Agreed, Willoughby ties with Wickham as the douchiest douche bag in the world of Jane Austen.

Greg Wise did a masterful job playing such a slimy charmer; the hilarious thing is, he would later go on to marry Emma Thompson!

Anyhoo, Sense and Sensibility appeals to my romantic side, and I believe Marianne's newfound maturity helped her grow to love Col. Brandon. Coincidentally, the husband and I were watching it last night, and when Marianne says to Col. Brandon "You won't be away for long?" I actually got a lump in my throat. Damn, I'm going to miss Alan Rickman.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 7