Type keyword(s) to search

"Oh HELL No!" Movie Moments That Anger Up the Blood

• Start Topic

On 2/20/2018 at 5:44 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I also got mad when Imelda said she still couldn't forgive Hector even after she found out that he didn't really abandon her, he was murdered. I was like, "Forgive him for WHAT?!" Maybe he shouldn't have gone on tour with Ernesto, but how the hell was he supposed to know that his partner/best friend would wind up murdering him?! Hector didn't deserve to die anymore than he deserved getting cut off from his family and nearly fading out of existence for SOMETHING HE DID NOT EVEN DO.

I watched Coco recently and while I agree that the multi-generational music ban was ridiculous, I thought Imelda not being able to forgive Hector was really well done. I mean she hated him for probably close to 100 years at that point and took that hatred beyond the grave. And since she never talked to him she probably built it up in her mind to be even worse. So when she finds out he was murdered it would be super complicated for her (which seems real to me) and a kind of thing that she couldn't instantly let go of. And I think she even comments that logically she knows it wasn't his fault but it is still difficult for her.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I watched Coco recently and while I agree that the multi-generational music ban was ridiculous, I thought Imelda not being able to forgive Hector was really well done. I mean she hated him for probably close to 100 years at that point and took that hatred beyond the grave. And since she never talked to him she probably built it up in her mind to be even worse. So when she finds out he was murdered it would be super complicated for her (which seems real to me) and a kind of thing that she couldn't instantly let go of. And I think she even comments that logically she knows it wasn't his fault but it is still difficult for her.

All true. And despite what she said, she did wind up forgiving him once she had more time to process it. It just annoyed me, that’s all. 

• Love 1

I don’t know if there is a thread for this, or if there should be one, but I’m here to bitch about “Surprise Kevin Spacey”. I decided to watch Heartburn, which is an old Nora Ephron film starring Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson. Both are great in the film. Jack is doing more than just his Joker/Here’s Johnny thing. It’s a solid film.

But there is this scene with Meryl on the subway and this creeper is looking at her, and blows her a kiss. The guy later robs her. And of course, it’s Kevin Fucking Spacey. I’m really enjoying the film, all feeling good and then, oh FUCK. It’s Kevin Spacey, right there, unexpected and unwanted like diarrhea during a birthday party at someone else’s house. 

Fuck off, Surprise Kevin Spacey. Get out of my movies.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I don’t know if there is a thread for this, or if there should be one, but I’m here to bitch about “Surprise Kevin Spacey”. I decided to watch Heartburn, which is an old Nora Ephron film starring Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson. Both are great in the film. Jack is doing more than just his Joker/Here’s Johnny thing. It’s a solid film.

But there is this scene with Meryl on the subway and this creeper is looking at her, and blows her a kiss. The guy later robs her. And of course, it’s Kevin Fucking Spacey. I’m really enjoying the film, all feeling good and then, oh FUCK. It’s Kevin Spacey, right there, unexpected and unwanted like diarrhea during a birthday party at someone else’s house. 

Fuck off, Surprise Kevin Spacey. Get out of my movies.

Gosh, I'm sorry. I'm honestly torn between sympathizing, sharing your rage, or being perversely amused. I guess there's no reason why I can't be all three.

The only Kevin Spacey movie I'll ever watch again is A Bug's Life, because 

1. It's animated, so I don't have to see his nasty face, and

2. He plays the villain, who suffers a deliciously horrid comeuppance.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Gosh, I'm sorry. I'm honestly torn between sympathizing, sharing your rage, or being perversely amused. I guess there's no reason why I can't be all three.

The only Kevin Spacey movie I'll ever watch again is A Bug's Life, because 

1. It's animated, so I don't have to see his nasty face, and

2. He plays the villain, who suffers a deliciously horrid comeuppance.

I love The Usual Suspects. I truly do. And I have rewatched it, but I was prepared, you know? Also, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It was just a horrible, horrible surprise to see him in this nice Nora Ephron film. Checking IMDB, Heartburn was his first credited acting role. 

I'm sure there are other things I'm going to rewatch and see other total assholes popping up. Like Armie Hammer was in an episode of Veronica Mars. UGH. 

I understand the perverse amusement though. 😉 I've bitched about this for the last 24 hours and it's now a joke, that's how I came up with "Surprise Kevin Spacey" as the term to explain it. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I understand the perverse amusement though. 😉 I've bitched about this for the last 24 hours and it's now a joke, that's how I came up with "Surprise Kevin Spacey" as the term to explain it. 

Also, your comparing him to diarrhea at someone else's house? Comedy platinum, I'm totally stealing it. 😈 

• Love 6
(edited)

Everything Namaari did in Raya and the Last Dragon, including and especially having the nerve to say Raya was “just as responsible for Sisu’s death as (she) was.” BULLSHIT. Namaari brought the crossbow, she pointed it at them, and her finger was on the trigger. The fact that she pulled it by accident is irrelevant. 

She might as well have said “How dare you not trust me even though I ruined your life and spent the last couple of years chasing you down and rubbing it in your face?!”

And I just love reading all the hot takes on the internet that actually defend Namaari for all the shitty things she did. One person even had the nerve to claim Namaari was trying to save her people while Raya was just trying to save her dad. What movie was this moron watching? Raya wanted to save EVERYONE that got turned into stone. Namaari and her kingdom just wanted to get the credit for saving the world so that everyone would forget they caused the apocalypse and let them keep all the wealth and power that they stole.There’s a big difference.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

And I just love reading all the hot takes on the internet that actually defend Namaari for all the shitty things she did. One person even had the nerve to claim Namaari was trying to save her people while Raya was just trying to save her dad. What movie was this moron watching? Raya wanted to save EVERYONE that got turned into stone. 

Damn skippy. Also, here's a thought to those unimaginative nitwits: maybe Raya wanted to save her dad... and the world?!?!? What is with people and their unrelenting either/or mindset?

• Love 3

I still can’t wrap my mind around why Namaari shooting Sisu is in any way Raya’s fault. Can we really blame her for freaking out when the girl who tricked her years ago was about to betray her AGAIN?! And would Sisu have really been able to talk Namaari down if she hadn’t intervened?

As much as I like Sisu, her blind trust in Namaari kind of made me mad too because it came off as dismissive towards Raya’s trauma and justified anger towards her. It was just all “you have to learn to trust everybody even if they don’t deserve it.”

• Love 3

Every time anyone in the John Wick movies rips on John for going back in “just for a puppy” it sets my teeth on edge. Like, I get that this is a world of trained assassins that think nothing of killing people, so they wouldn't get that worked up over someone killing a dog. But instead of them going “it was just a dog” what they SHOULD have said was: “What kind of sick fuck stomps on a puppy?! Dude, I totally get it. Those guys deserved everything they got!”

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Every time anyone in the John Wick movies rips on John for going back in “just for a puppy” it sets my teeth on edge. Like, I get that this is a world of trained assassins that think nothing of killing people, so they wouldn't get that worked up over someone killing a dog. But instead of them going “it was just a dog” what they SHOULD have said was: “What kind of sick fuck stomps on a puppy?! Dude, I totally get it. Those guys deserved everything they got!”

I haven't seen the John Wick movies, but I tend to be far more angry when anyone hurts animals then people. On screen or in real life.

• Love 5

Okay, this is such a dumb and petty thing to get angry about, but Molly Ringwald butchering those two dresses to make that monstrosity in Pretty in Pink. 

It’s just so HIDEOUS!!! Even countless other tacky 80s dresses look better compared to that hobo sack! We get it, Andie, you like being nonconformist, but JFC why would you WANT to look like a bag lady?! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
On 8/29/2020 at 8:07 AM, kiddo82 said:

I was watching Double Jeopardy last night.  The movie is about 21 years old and I myself probably hadn't seen it in over 15 years.  It's not perfect by any means but it's still incredibly watchable and man, Ashely Judd was a star.  I had a difficult time enjoying the movie after a while because I couldn't shake the thought of what he who shall not be named did to her both personally and professionally.  It just made me so sad.

I love the movie, but it makes no sense.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but this is how I remember it:

Spoiler

The whole conceit of the movie is that Tommy Lee Jones is going after Ashley Judd for killing her husband.

Once Ashley Judd produces her husband, the entire movie should be over.  But after the husband appears, TLJ is still trying to arrest Ashley.  FOR..... WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 5
(edited)
On 9/17/2020 at 2:20 AM, katha said:

"The Devil Wears Prada": An oldie but goodie: Andie's so-called friends and boyfriend. Why is it okay for them to have demanding careers (her boyfriend is a cook and also never home!) but she must be shamed for her demanding job and being ambitious. It's also established that she wants to do it for a year and then branch out, so why be so nasty to her? If she loses herself in that job indefinitely, that's the point where constructive criticism is warranted. But she was just starting out and they were unsupportive jerks.

Andy's boyfriend Nate acts like fashion is pretentious and stupid AND YET HE USES JARSLBERG CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  $8 worth of it for a grilled cheese sandwich!  And her friend Lily had no problem taking the free handbag but then immediately turned on her hahahhahaha... oh god they are the worst.

Andy's friend Doug was fine though.  No complaints from me.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
44 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Okay, this is such a dumb and petty thing to get angry about, but Molly Ringwald butchering those two dresses to make that monstrosity in Pretty in Pink. 

It’s just so HIDEOUS!!! Even countless other tacky 80s dresses look better compared to that hobo sack! We get it, Andie, you like being nonconformist, but JFC why would you WANT to look like a bag lady?! 

I mean, she mangled 2-2!!- perfectly nice dresses to make that shapeless, cloth barrel of a dress! I swear that thing added 40 years to her age!

• Love 10
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I mean, she mangled 2-2!!- perfectly nice dresses to make that shapeless, cloth barrel of a dress! I swear that thing added 40 years to her age!

Seriously! Wouldn’t a better way to show her classmates that they didn’t break her be to show up in a dress that actually looked GOOD on her?! She could have just worn the polka dot dress Iona gave her? It was a bit retro but still prettier than what she turned it into!!!!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love the movie, but it makes no sense.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but this is how I remember it:

Reveal spoiler

The whole conceit of the movie is that Tommy Lee Jones is going after Ashley Judd for killing her husband.

Once Ashley Judd produces her husband, the entire movie should be over.  But after the husband appears, TLJ is still trying to arrest Ashley.  FOR..... WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing because she jumped parole in the first place.  She also assaulted him and let his car plunge off a ferry into a body of water.  And all the other crimes of breaking and entering and stealing cars and so on. I admit though that the movie doesn't make a ton of sense (from what I understand the entire premise is flawed) but it's still good, late 90s, fun.

• Love 4

Yeah, but you could explain that she did all those things

Spoiler

to prove that she didn't commit the murder she was accused of!  Which she proves by showing them the husband is alive!  LOL!  It's so insane to then keep her under surveillance?  For what purpose?

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah, but you could explain that she did all those things

Hide contents

to prove that she didn't commit the murder she was accused of!  Which she proves by showing them the husband is alive!  LOL!  It's so insane to then keep her under surveillance?  For what purpose?

Spoiler

Well he's after her because she skipped parole in the first place and now she's on this interstate crime spree.  He doesn't find out that the husband is still alive until towards the end of the movie.  Also, he can't let her just kill him, double jeopardy or not.  He is still very much responsible for her.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yeah I'm saying after that point why does he still keep following her, that's my entire point.  I don't think I made it clear.  

Spoiler

Once he finds out that she did not do what she was arrested for, she should be freed, and he has no idea what she'd want to do after that point and it really wouldn't be his business what's in her head.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah I'm saying after that point why does he still keep following her, that's my entire point.  I don't think I made it clear.

Spoiler

He finds out the truth, the climax happens, and the movie ends.  My memory could be spotty but I don't know of an extended time where he is hell bent on arresting her after he finds out for sure Nick is alive.  But like I said, maybe his main objective at that point is to stop her from killing him.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Andy's boyfriend Nate acts like fashion is pretentious and stupid AND YET HE USES JARSLBERG CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  $8 worth of it for a grilled cheese sandwich!  And her friend Lily had no problem taking the free handbag but then immediately turned on her hahahhahaha... oh god they are the worst.

Yeah, they were all horrible. Its okay for Nate to bitch about fries and blow money on expensive cheese but Andy taking an interest in fashion was not. Lily takes the free expensive bag and then plays keep away with her phone which could get her fired. And bitches her out later when Christian kisses her. I really wanted to see her tell them off.  

Andy's friend Doug was fine though.  No complaints from me.

He really was. He was the only one of the group that supported her and was happy she was going to Paris. She could have kept him as a friend.

• Love 6

Adding to the Devil Wears Prada discourse by asking what was so terrible about Andie changing her mind and realizing she came to like working for the magazine and changing her look, etc etc?! It happens to everyone, and instead of trying to support her and be happy for her, Nate and those assholes acting like she was a big sellout. And yeah, anyone who uses fancy cheese to make sandwiches has no room to accuse anyone else of pretentiousness.

7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Lily takes the free expensive bag and then plays keep away with her phone which could get her fired. And bitches her out later when Christian kisses her. I really wanted to see her tell them off.

Seriously. Lily didn’t even ask Andie for her side of what was going on with her and Nate, she just automatically jumped to his side. 

And just because Christian turned out to be a douche with a capital bag doesn’t make Nate the better man by default.

• Love 11

The book actually is even worse to Andy. It's made clear from the beginning that if she survives the year as Miranda's assistant she basically has her pick of jobs at the magazine including as a writer which is what she wants to do. And she has told this to her family very clearly. And yet all of them seem to refuse to understand that for just one year Andy is busy. Her parents are guilt tripping her about going to visit her sister and Lily can't seem to understand not calling her at work.

• Useful 5
(edited)
21 hours ago, kiddo82 said:
  Reveal spoiler

He finds out the truth, the climax happens, and the movie ends.  My memory could be spotty but I don't know of an extended time where he is hell bent on arresting her after he finds out for sure Nick is alive.  But like I said, maybe his main objective at that point is to stop her from killing him.

Because the things she did are still crimes, no matter the reason, and

Spoiler

Until a court overturns her conviction, she's still a fugitive.  There's a legal process which has to take place.  But basically the whole premise of the movie is so flawed that I can't even watch it - she can't kill the husband and expect to get off due to double jeopardy because it wouldn't be the same crime, it would be a new one.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/29/2021 at 8:54 PM, anna0852 said:

The book actually is even worse to Andy. It's made clear from the beginning that if she survives the year as Miranda's assistant she basically has her pick of jobs at the magazine including as a writer which is what she wants to do. And she has told this to her family very clearly. And yet all of them seem to refuse to understand that for just one year Andy is busy. Her parents are guilt tripping her about going to visit her sister and Lily can't seem to understand not calling her at work.

The only improvement the book had was the boyfriend had a more sympathetic job. He was a school teacher, not chef at a restaurant. It is the one change they shouldn't have made. If you are going to look your nose down at someone for working a bougie job, at least work a job that also doesn't cater to rich people.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4
(edited)

I really have grown to hate the part in Captain America: The First Avenger where Peggy shoots at Steve under the guise of “testing the shield” but really because she’s pissed because Natalie Dormer’s character kissed him. Even if they were an official item at that point — which they weren’t, all they did was have a flirty double-entendre talk about dancing — it was an extreme reaction, and I’m sorry but I didn’t find it funny at all.

Granted, Steve didn’t cover himself in glory with his whataboutism about her supposedly “fonduing” Howard, which again: YOU HAVEN'T EVEN ASKED HER OUT YET, JACKASS! Neither one of them had the right to be jealous and pissy about whoever else they were dating. Enough with this trope already!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I really have grown to hate the part in Captain America: The First Avenger where Peggy shoots at Steve under the guise of “testing the shield” but really because she’s pissed because Natalie Dormer’s character kissed him. Even if they were an official item at that point — which they weren’t, all they did was have a flirty double-entendre talk about dancing — it was an extreme reaction, and I’m sorry but I didn’t find it funny at all.

Granted, Steve didn’t cover himself in glory with his whataboutism about her supposedly “fonduing” Howard, which again: YOU HAVEN'T EVEN ASKED HER OUT YET, JACKASS! Neither one of them had the right to be jealous and pissy about whoever else they were dating. Enough with this trope already!

The fondue dialogue is still my "oh Hell no" moment from that movie.  That is seriously one of the cringiest sequence of dialogue I have ever heard.  It's on par with the "gobble gobble" shit from Gigli.  

I do hate the Steve/Peggy relationship in the movie.  If you are both waiting for the "right partner" and find them, what are you waiting for?? There's a war on.  You're supposed to carpe diem, not wait celibately for it to end.  That was what everyone else was doing.  But no, Steve and Peggy are so virtuous that they must wait until the war is over.  

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I do hate the Steve/Peggy relationship in the movie.  If you are both waiting for the "right partner" and find them, what are you waiting for?? There's a war on.  You're supposed to carpe diem, not wait celibately for it to end.  That was what everyone else was doing.  But no, Steve and Peggy are so virtuous that they must wait until the war is over. 

Which makes Steve carrying around Peggy’s picture in his stupid compass even more cringe because they kept sidestepping the issue if they were a couple. Like you haven’t even asked her out and you’re carrying her picture? She isn’t “your girl” yet if all you do flirt without actually making a move. 

Don’t even get me started on him keeping it 70 years later even after she had a family and moved on. Just. Don’t.

• Love 6

I have rewatched Mamma Mia! again and while I love the movie, and I like Sophie as a character overall, I am so frustrated by how she initially insisted that she wants her biological father to give her away at her wedding. I already think that the whole giving the bride away tradition is stupid, sexist and a relic of the past when the bride essentially went from being a property of her father to being a property of her husband. But even if I take it as "just a tradition", it still doesn't make sense that she would want her biological father to give her away instead of her mother who raised her. What is he giving her away from? Knowing her for two days? I was so relieved that she finally got some sense and asked her mother to give her away instead. But I think that is something she should have gotten from the start. And the plot would still work just the same if it was about her simply wanting to meet her biological father before her wedding and to have him there, there didn't need to be any of this nonsense about giving her away.

This aside, I love the movie ☺️.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Good points @JustHereForFood but I do think Sophie had the right to know who her father was in general.

Oh, of course, I'm not disputing that at all. I meant specifically that she wanted him to play this huge role at her wedding, despite being practically a stranger, while her mother who raised her would be just there.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I already think that the whole giving the bride away tradition is stupid, sexist and a relic of the past when the bride essentially went from being a property of her father to being a property of her husband. But even if I take it as "just a tradition", it still doesn't make sense that she would want her biological father to give her away instead of her mother who raised her. What is he giving her away from? Knowing her for two days?

I only made it through a few minutes of the film, but I have to co-sign this on general principle.  If you want someone to accompany you down the aisle at your wedding, shouldn't it be someone who plays a major role in your life - the parent(s) who actually raised you, your best friend, a close sibling, your spouse-to-be, etc.?  Not some dude who contributed genetic material but just met you two days ago, just because he happens to be the male parent.

• Love 12

Okay, so the original Fantastic Four was on TV and…am I the only one irritated by Susan’s passive-aggressive bitchery? Like seriously irritated. Those parts just screamed of “women always expect men to know what they’re thinking and get pissy when they don’t catch on instead of just directly communicating feelings. Amirite?” 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Love 5
(edited)

Angel Eyes: Sharon’s dad telling her to her face “I feel like I don’t have a daughter anymore” because she called the cops on him for beating her mother years ago.

That whole subplot in the movie causes my blood to spontaneously combust. Sharon’s family could apparently forgive the dad for being an abusive asshole, but not Sharon for actually doing something to stop him. But that moment makes me angriest of all, because it proves that for all the talk of how her dad had changed, he actually hadn’t. He just switched to emotional abuse instead of physical, and on Sharon instead of his wife. Had he really changed, he would have told Sharon that it was his fault for putting her in that position in the first place and begged her to forgive him, maybe even expressed gratitude that she stopped him from potentially killing her mother. But no…

And I really hate after the way they treated her, Sharon still felt obligated to recount the story of her dad playing with her for the wedding video, like she had to prove that she remembered the good times. Fine, not everything is in black and white, but what good are those memories if her own family was willing to throw her away for the sake of codependent denial?! She didn’t owe them shit.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And I really hate after the way they treated her, Sharon still felt obligated to recount the story of her dad playing with her for the wedding video, like she had to prove that she remembered the good times. Fine, not everything is in black and white, but what good are those memories if her own family was willing to throw her away for the sake of codependent denial?! She didn’t owe them shit.

That scene left a bad taste in my mouth. And seconded to everything you said.

• Love 3

That attitude comes up (to a much lesser extent, but still comes up) in The Philadelphia Story.  Tracey is bitchy to her dad because he is a serial cheater, but somehow he tells her with a straight face that his infidelity is all her fault for not being a loving enough daughter.  And she believed it. 🤦‍♀️

• Sad 1
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

That attitude comes up (to a much lesser extent, but still comes up) in The Philadelphia Story.  Tracey is bitchy to her dad because he is a serial cheater, but somehow he tells her with a straight face that his infidelity is all her fault for not being a loving enough daughter.  And she believed it. 🤦‍♀️

And what kind of reasoning is that?! That is so unimaginably gross I won't even get into it!

That's exactly why I hate The Philadelphia Story. Tracey is not a haughty bitch who needs to be knocked down a peg; Tracey is a fabulous beacon of truth who doesn't suffer assholes gladly. Her father is a cheating bastard, and Dex is a worthless boozehound. She's way too good for either of those losers, but for some reason, the movie doesn't see it that way.

"The time to make up your mind about people is never!"

Wrong, Tracey! First impressions are usually correct, and not everyone deserves another chance!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Angel Eyes: Sharon’s dad telling her to her face “I feel like I don’t have a daughter anymore” because she called the cops on him for beating her mother years ago.

That whole subplot in the movie causes my blood to spontaneously combust. Sharon’s family could apparently forgive the dad for being an abusive asshole, but not Sharon for actually doing something to stop him. But that moment makes me angriest of all, because it proves that for all the talk of how her dad had changed, he actually hadn’t. He just switched to emotional abuse instead of physical, and on Sharon instead of his wife. Had he really changed, he would have told Sharon that it was his fault for putting her in that position in the first place and begged her to forgive him, maybe even expressed gratitude that she stopped him from potentially killing her mother. But no…

I TOTALLY agree with you, SpartanGirl. I remember watching that movie in my early teens a couple of years after it came out, and I couldn’t believe I was supposed to think SHARON was in the wrong! WTF? She’s a better person than I am because I would’ve laughed in his face.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, PepSinger said:

I TOTALLY agree with you, SpartanGirl. I remember watching that movie in my early teens a couple of years after it came out, and I couldn’t believe I was supposed to think SHARON was in the wrong! WTF? She’s a better person than I am because I would’ve laughed in his face.

God, her mother and her brother were just THE WORST. Her mother whines about being caught in the middle and being the “only one in the family that knows how to forgive” — which is rich when she resents Sharon just like the rest of them. Forgiving your abuser while shunning the daughter that saved your life…I have no words.

And the brother was pure garbage. He not only took their parents’ side, he was beating his own wife. And yet he has the nerve to treat Sharon like an enemy just for being a cop.

Was it supposed to be sad that Sharon had to finally walk away in the end? She was better off without them.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Gods, that movie.  The performances are fantastic, there's delicious chemistry among the cast, and there's wonderfully snappy dialogue.  But the central premise that Tracy is a judgmental snob who needs to be knocked down a dozen pegs - which, of course, was an extension of the notion Katharine Hepburn needed the same - is profoundly wrong, and the whole thing about being the reason her dad is a philanderer is just plain bizarre.

• Love 10
On 10/19/2021 at 10:18 PM, Bastet said:

the central premise that Tracy is a judgmental snob who needs to be knocked down a dozen pegs - which, of course, was an extension of the notion Katharine Hepburn needed the same - is profoundly wrong, and the whole thing about being the reason her dad is a philanderer is just plain bizarre.

Bad enough he was a cheat, but since they were a prominent family, they were vulnerable to the press!  The latest tryst being published in the celebrity gossip columns!!  That's embarrassing, and her father at least should have been more discreet.  The mother/wife was forgiving, but I give that over to her upbringing that "that's the way men are" and just wait for him to come home again.   

• Love 7

I'm watching John Wick Chapter 3 - Parabellum right now and there's a scene with him and Halle Berry in the desert.  She drinks from a bottle of water, swishes it around in her mouth, spits back into the bottle and gives it to John to drink while he's out in the desert.  He should have shot the bitch. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Rocketman: The scene with Elton trying to reconnect with his dad, only to be met with ambivalence. What really pissed me off was how oblivious he was to how clearly hurt Elton was. When Elton bitterly points out how things “really worked out” for him and his new family, the asshole actually smiles and says “Yes, I suppose it has.”

Oh, what I would have given to kick him in the balls. The insensitive audacity of it all.

Look, I don’t begrudge him wanting to get the hell away from Elton’s mother and move on with his life. But you divorce your spouse, not your children. And the fact that he could easily show affection to his new kids while not even expressing the slightest bit of remorse of how he treated Elton as a child...I have no words.

It’s hard to blame Elton for getting so worked up over the memory at the rehab that he chucks his chair at the wall. I think I would have done the same.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I love the Tony Stark/Peter Parker relationship, but every time I watch Homecoming, I want to strangle Tony for bitching about Peter's meddling on the ferry, then, when Peter said "These weapons are out there and you don't care" and his response was "Who do you think called the FBI?".  Really?!  One damned phone call to Peter from you or Happy and the situation may have turned out differently.

• Love 3
(edited)

I shouldn’t get so worked up over a shitty sequel but Bad Santa 2 pissed me off because like too many sequels, it completely overturns any growth that the characters had in the first movie. At the end of Bad Santa Willie had this profound moment of clarity when he called out Marcus and his wife for stealing a ton of stuff that they didn’t need from malls on Christmas Eve. But fast forward years later, he’s completely forgotten all about that and now he’s more than fine with stealing from a charity on Christmas.

Oh and don’t get me started on what they did to Thurman. Contrary to what many believe, Thurman wasn’t a stupid kid—evidenced by when he tells Willie that he knew he wasn’t really Santa. And by the end he learned to stand up for himself. But the sequel decides to go ahead and make him a full-fledged helpless moron as an adult. It was so lazy it was pathetic.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

There is so much about The Blind Side that angers up my blood (obviously starting with the fact true stories in which Black folks are "saved" by whites get made into movies, while most of the stories in which they save themselves and each other are not, and moving specifically to centering Leigh Anne Tuohy in telling the story of Michael Oher), but my love for sports movies always means I stop when I come across this film while going around the dial until my blood gets to simmering and I move on in frustration.

Tonight, I hit on something early on.  It's among the film's lesser offenses, and, unlike the more obvious problems, I haven't seen it covered, but it ticks me off:  S.J. is an obvious problem for how he's presented as this precocious little white boy who teaches Michael how to play football (of the film's big falsehood offenses in telling this true tale, presenting Michael as not only being "saved" by the Tuohys in terms of a home and a school, but also by them - especially their little pipsqueak - teaching him a game he actually had studied and was passionate about is my biggest objection, as it was Oher's), but also for how he's a sexist creep in training and that gets played as cute.

In his introduction to the audience, he's at his big sister's high school volleyball game with their dad.  When their mom arrives and asks to be caught up, he says - even though Collins just got a dig, which Sean had just noted, and which S.J. knows on his own as he's a sports fan (but only if men play, apparently) - "It's girls' volleyball, Mom. You didn't miss anything."  And even though Leigh Anne is presented in every other frame of the film as a woman who doesn't take shit from anyone, whether it's directed at her or anyone else, and who's more evolved than her bubble, calling out injustice, she doesn't react at all.  Doesn't call him out, doesn't even say they'll talk about that sexist nonsense after the game.

But then it gets worse.  After the game, Leigh Anne admonishes S.J. not to "go into the girls' locker room again" as he runs off ignoring her, and no one follows him.  So this kid - eight-years-old in real life, played by an 11-year-old in the film, probably meant to be around 9/10 - has clearly made a habit of this, and no one does anything to nip this inappropriate behavior in the bud.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2

The movie Richard Jewell made me so angry. Sure, Richard seemed a bit…off at times, but he had the best of intentions at heart, and he really did save everyone from the bomb. And he was rewarded by those assholes railroading him and ruining his life without a shred of physical proof that he was the bomber! And the fact that he wound up dying at 44 so soon after his name was cleared was just unfair.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

The movie Richard Jewell made me so angry. Sure, Richard seemed a bit…off at times, but he had the best of intentions at heart, and he really did save everyone from the bomb. And he was rewarded by those assholes railroading him and ruining his life without a shred of physical proof that he was the bomber! And the fact that he wound up dying at 44 so soon after his name was cleared was just unfair.

That was Clint Eastwood's intention surely. That everybody took a look at him and declared loser so Deputy Jewell must have done it is  a dagger aimed right at all of us. We all should be angry. I am just glad that I don't remember if I bought into the media hype of the day

The miniseries Manhunt Deadly Games goes into the same themes and further shows the institutional arrogance of the FBI and their 'loser" proclaiming profilers  as they blew off the specialized bomb maker hunters of the ATF.

That Deputy Jewell died a hero reaching his goal and knew the pleasure of having a wife at least brings some comfort.

• Useful 5