Type keyword(s) to search

"Oh HELL No!" Movie Moments That Anger Up the Blood

• Start Topic

Thought I'd restart the thread for us to talk about the movie moments that piss us off the moments.

Pretty much everything with Julianne Moore's character in Crazy Stupid Love infuriated me, but nothing made me yell a certain four-lettered word at my TV screen than when the babysitter calls her out on her behavior, saying flat out that she didn't want her "slutty money" and Julianne pulls a doe-eyed Bambi act, crying, "What are you talking about?"  And of course her smug little smile when Steve Carrell was making the big unnecessary apology speech at the end when SHE WAS THE ONE WHO CHEATED.

Also the scene in Spanglish when Tea Leoni tells her husband that she cheated on him and then has the nerve to go on and instead of apologizing over and over like any other person would have done, she goes on a rantwhat SHE thinks they should do to fix things, barely paying attention to the fact that her husband is in total shock.  I never thought any female character could be more self-absorbed than Carrie Bradshaw, but this woman managed to surpass her spectacularly.

• Love 7

Jonathan Kent in Man of Steel, I don't need to choose a moment because his entire character in that movie pissed me off.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

and them sticking to comic canon by killing Gwen.

Just 2 recent ones.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 4

The only time I ever got seriously pissed was at the end The Woman in Black. I actually called the ghost an ungrateful bitch. Out loud. In a theater. Daniel Radcliffe's character tried so hard to help the ghost find closure by recovering her son's body and burying it with her and in thanks she kills him and his son. 

Edited by wlk68
  • Love 7

There are many things about the Lord of the Ring movies -- or, more specifically, the scripts -- which make me cranky, but the one that really ticks me off comes in The Return of the King, when Denethor sends the knights to recapture Osgiliath and Pippin is singing in the throneroom.  It's supposed to be all deep and meaningful, but it's just so incredibly STUPID that I can't stand it.  Denethor might have been a bad father, but he was not an utter bozo who would squander valuable resources in a hopeless and pointless assault because he was throwing a snit fit over Boromir's death and Faramir's continued existence.  Which makes the "poignant" music so much more manipulative, because it emphasizes the utter wastefulness that THEY INVENTED THEMSELVES.

Sorry, my brain just went to a "Hulk SMASH" place.

The whole movie is a mess, but the dinner scene in The Family Stone is just ire inducing.  It's like watching an accident in slow motion.  

I just wanted Sarah Jessica Parker's character to have a Scarface moment and say "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, I'm out." to those arrogant, self-righteous bullies, including her spineless boyfriend.

• Like 1
  • Love 12

I hated the Family Stone. SJP's character seemed like a perfectly nice person. A bit uptight for sure, but she was meeting her serious boyfriend's family for the first time, who turned out to be judgmental cows. I got really pissed off when the mother fawned over Claire Dane's character (the sister) after just meeting her after being so cold to SJP. 

• Love 9
just wanted Sarah Jessica Parker's character to have a Scarface moment and say "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, I'm out." to those arrogant, self-righteous bullies, including her spineless boyfriend.

Yes.  Totally.  Especially after she found out he gave the ring to her sister.  She shouldn't have gone back to the kitchen to get that casserole she cooked, she should have told them all to go fuck themselves and walked out the door.  Even if Luke Wilson's character was decent to her, there's no guy alive that would be worth being in THAT family.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 7

Damn skippy about The Family Stone. What a loathsome, cruel, hypocritical, self-aggrandizing bunch of worthless, bullying pigs those people were, each and every one! Yeah, I'm even going to be a jerk and throw in that nauseatingly perfect deaf brother and his dull boyfriend in the mix, too! Meredith's only crime was being a little uptight, and those hateful bastards treated her the way you wouldn't dream of treating a raccoon that wandered into your garage! Had this been a better movie, written by smarter people, it would have been a satire on how society is so forgiving towards abusive boyfriends, murderers, drug addicts, and dictators… but  people who are quiet, reserved, and-horrors!- kind of boring are considered beneath our contempt.

Sorry for my tangent. As you undoubtedly noticed, The Family Stone brings out the worst in me. Moving along...

The Heiress: One of my favorites, but, hoo boy, Dr. Sloper (Ralph Richardson) is another movie character who brings out the worst in me. Again, people who are shy, awkward, and not sparkling conversationalists are basically on his shit list, on who in particular is on his shit list? His own daughter, Catherine (Olivia de Havilland, never better). Catherine is sweet, kind, loving, and would go to the ends of the earth and back to win her father's approval, but he withholds it because she isn't like her late mother, who Dr. Sloper has idealized into this almost monstrous image of perfection. He is condescending and passive aggressive to Catherine, and one early moment really sticks in my craw: Catherine has purchased a red dress to wear to her cousin's engagement party. She models it for her father, then reminds him that it's cherry red, the color her mother used to wear. Now, a good father would have simply said, "Very nice," or "You don't have to wear such and such color to impress me, you look lovely in anything." Instead, he says, "But Catherine, your mother was fair. She dominated the color." 

Then he blithely announces it's time to go, oblivious (or worse, possibly not oblivious) to Catherine's fallen face. Say it with me now...

DOUCHE!

P.S.

Want to know what's scary? There are a shocking number of people on IMDb who think Dr. Sloper was a wonderful, misunderstood father who was just trying to get his "boring lump" of a daughter to be a "normal person". Wow.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 10

P.S.

Want to know what's scary? There are a shocking number of people on IMDb who think Dr. Sloper was a wonderful, misunderstood father who was just trying to get his "boring lump" of a daughter to be a "normal person". Wow.

I think sometimes IMDB commenters just like to be provocative - you could say that grass is green, and they'd disagree (because what about bluegrass, after all?). The Heiress is a great movie, even with or because of Douche Dad.  JMO, of course.

• Love 1
The cherry on top is when Dr. Sloper finally tells Catherine what he really think of her. Oh man...

The only reason I didn't mention that scene was for fear of going into an even more expletive-laden, spittle-flecked, rage-filled tangent (I was already on one after being reminded of The Family Stone). 

I also grind my teeth into powder just thinking about the aftermath of that little demon-child Briony's lie in Atonement. Nobody, but nobody, messes with my darling Robbie and gets away with it (okay, so I'm biased because he's played by James McAvoy, what of it?!)! Even worse

was the fact that she grew up into a sanctimonious old hag who thought she could put a band-aid on her past crime by making up some maudlin ending to her damn book! You stupid, stupid woman, people are dead because of you! Grrrrrr….

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 6

I don't even need to see The Amazing Spider-Man 2 to say that the spoiler from upthread is one such moment.

I liked the first movie, in large part, because Emma Stone is great fun, and her chemistry with Andrew Garfield was great. There is no need to stick to canon here, because Peter already had the deaths of Uncle Ben and Captain Stacy on his conscience. Killing Gwen in the comics had an impact because it happened ten years after Uncle Ben's. This way, it's just overkill, and shows a lack of understanding and slavish devotion to source material that just does the movie universe, and the character of Gwen, a huge disservice. Clueless hacks.

Another one is from Super 8, where Joe lets go of the necklace at the end. I hated it. Such a hamfisted anvil of a way to tell us he's going to be okay and move forward with his life. Sure, it's nice to know that, but it didn't need him letting go of that precious reminder of his mother to tell me. I hate that sort of stupid, empty gesture, and it's one that movies go for, time and time again. 'I'm going to symbolically abandon or destroy something precious to me, just to show that I'm big and strong'. Yeah, whatever.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2
I also grind my teeth into powder just thinking about the aftermath of that little demon-child Briony's lie in Atonement. Nobody, but nobody, messes with my darling Robbie and gets away with it (okay, so I'm biased because he's played by James McAvoy, what of it?!)! Even worse  

was the fact that she grew up into a sanctimonious old hag who thought she could put a band-aid on her past crime by making up some maudlin ending to her damn book! You stupid, stupid woman, people are dead because of you! Grrrrrr….

ITA with this entire post (including the James McAvoy love!).  I love the performances in that movie, but Briley is such an insufferable twit that I get angry every time I think of it.  I know it was based on a book, so I can't totally blame the screenwriter, but still... 

• Love 3

Every time Chris Hargensen is onscreen in Carrie (the 1976 original, all those sequels and remakes can jump off a cliff), I go into insta-rage. It's Chris's fault that Carrie was humiliated in the locker room, it was Ms. Collins who banned Chris from the prom, but who does Chris blame for her misfortune? Carrie! Look, normally I don't make excuses for anyone's crimes, real or fictional, but let's face facts: Carrie snapped and killed hundreds of people because Chris organized that sick prank at the prom! People are dead and it's all because of Chris! If she hadn't dumped the pig's blood on Carrie, it never would have happened! Yes, yes, I know, we also wouldn't have a story, and it's a good one, too, but what really chaps my ass is Chris's vile, mean girl mentality, the fact that she's lashing out at someone who is not only weaker than she is, but who has done absolutely nothing to her. Just look at the news: how many times have we read about popular, seemingly perfect kids who are who reveal themselves as sociopaths?

I also really have to give mad props to Nancy Allen, because, boy howdy, did she do a brilliant job playing a despicable, slap-worthy little bitch. 

• Like 1
  • Love 11

Dottie dropping the ball at the end of A League of Their Own. Kit shouldn't have been rewarded for being a whiny brat.

Yes! How selfish of Dottie to drop that ball and cost her entire team the win! Maybe Mae, Doris, Betty, Evelyn, Shirley and all the other women needed that win just as much as Kit. Those women worked hard all season and all struggled with their own issues. Who is Dottie to decide that Kit's inferiority complex matters more than anyone else's desire to win. That one decision ruins Dottie for me and makes me so angry.

• Love 9

Every time Chris Hargensen is onscreen in Carrie (the 1976 original, all those sequels and remakes can jump off a cliff), I go into insta-rage. It's Chris's fault that Carrie was humiliated in the locker room, it was Ms. Collins who banned Chris from the prom, but who does Chris blame for her misfortune? Carrie! Look, normally I don't make excuses for anyone's crimes, real or fictional, but let's face facts: Carrie snapped and killed hundreds of people because Chris organized that sick prank at the prom! People are dead and it's all because of Chris! If she hadn't dumped the pig's blood on Carrie, it never would have happened! Yes, yes, I know, we also wouldn't have a story, and it's a good one, too, but what really chaps my ass is Chris's vile, mean girl mentality, the fact that she's lashing out at someone who is not only weaker than she is, but who has done absolutely nothing to her. Just look at the news: how many times have we read about popular, seemingly perfect kids who are who reveal themselves as sociopaths?

I also really have to give mad props to Nancy Allen, because, boy howdy, did she do a brilliant job playing a despicable, slap-worthy little bitch. 

Oh, indeed! The result of Carrie's rage was terrifying, but damn if I wasn't cheering the entire time

• Love 3

I saw red during the part in Secret Window when Johnny Depp's ex-wife's douchebag of a boyfriend (whom she was cheating on him with) has the nerve to hand him the divorce papers.  I have little tolerance for cheaters but that was just low.  So I was so glad when

Johnny goes crazy and kills both of them at the end.  Yes murder is wrong but I couldn't bring myself to feel sorry for those assholes.

Oh and anytime a sweet adorable pet gets cruelly murdered, such as in the above movie.

This may be due to the fact that I loathe Julia Roberts, but Sleeping with the Enemy is such a stupid movie. How could someone who was afraid of the water take swimming lessons at the Y and become such a great swimmer that she could make her way back to shore at night in a storm? How was she able to plan her own death in such great detail that she knew that their new friend would take them sailing and that a storm would come up at the same time? How was she able to get a job and rent a beautiful, large and completely furnished home with no identification and no money? I could overlook all of that but the one thing that bugs me the most is that with all her meticulous planning, she spontaneously decides to throw her wedding ring in the toilet? And doesn't even flush it, conveniently allowing her abusive husband to realize she is alive? Plus, Julia Roberts is the worst.

• Love 5

Yes, the ring in the toilet was so, so silly.  Why not just take it with you and dispose of it along the way, or at your new location? I know, plot device, but certainly there was a better way to get the husband to realize that all was not as it seemed. I can handwave most of the other stuff, but the ring disposal was just sloppy.

• Love 2

That's angering up the blood in a good way though.  You're supposed to hate Chris, Billy, the few who laughed at Carrie after the blood was dumped on her, and Carrie's mom.  You're supposed to sympathize with Carrie, because she was an innocent victim in all of it.  Everything that had happened to her, caused her to lose it at that moment.  Even people who had laughed at Carrie earlier, were completely horrified with what Chris had done.  It's a moment that makes you despise one of the villains of the story.

• Love 4

In the movie All Good Things when Ryan Gosling's character walks into the living room to slap and grab Kirsten Dunst's character (his wife) to make her leave the family birthday party. Everyone freezes and watches the scene with horrified faces, including her older brother, who's sitting right next to her. And her mother bursts into tears. Hello? No one thought to jump up and say, "You can't to that to my sister/daughter/friend/niece. -Punch- Get the hell out my house."?  Ryan Gosling is not a big dude, and he didn't have a gun. Besides, there were about 30 people at that party. SMH

• Love 1

I forgot about that part, and I think you're right.  But I suppose finding hairs in the bathroom wouldn't be as much of a tip-off?

I don't know.  He was a complete control freak.  Even wanting the soups in a certain order.  Anyway when I watched it I the first time I may have screamed at the TV cut your hair later! You are on the run!

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 2

Yes! How selfish of Dottie to drop that ball and cost her entire team the win! Maybe Mae, Doris, Betty, Evelyn, Shirley and all the other women needed that win just as much as Kit. Those women worked hard all season and all struggled with their own issues. Who is Dottie to decide that Kit's inferiority complex matters more than anyone else's desire to win. That one decision ruins Dottie for me and makes me so angry.

I've rewatched that moment many times over debating on whether or not she intentionally dropped that ball, and my conclusion is that she really couldn't hold on to it. Nevertheless, that moment pisses me off because Kit is horrible.

• Love 5

Seriously. And even my cousin who's lived in the shadow of her older, extremely talented sister forever thought Kit sucked and shouldn't have "won". All Kit did was bitch, be a brat and be awful to Dottie  during the entire movie with barely a hint of empathy that maybe her older sister with the oh-so-perfect life was going through some stuff herself. I don't care that Kit was treated badly by some people and always compared to Dottie, somebody with that attitude shouldn't have gotten the big win in the end.

• Love 6

All Kit did was bitch, be a brat and be awful to Dottie  during the entire movie with barely a hint of empathy that maybe her older sister with the oh-so-perfect life was going through some stuff herself.

Yeah, like her husband off at war and she not knowing if he'll come home.

• Love 6

Every single thing that Mary Jane Watson -- or should I saw Kirsten Dunst and Sam Raimi's Mary Sue Pod Person version of Mary Jane -- did in the Spider-Man movies.  She was such a whiny insipid little bitch that I couldn't understand why Peter was so hung up on her.  By the end I was almost rooting for the bad guys to kill her.

• Love 6

I just got back from watching Annabelle. I walked out after this happened:

So near the end of the movie, the older black woman the main couple befriended sacrifices herself so the couple can get their kid back. Earlier in the movie, she said she had a daughter that had passed away in a car wreck. Due to guilt and depression, she tried to take her own life, but failed.

She had a vision after failing her attempt of seeing her daughter and being told that God had a purpose for her. This leads to her sacrifice near the end saying that she knew her purpose.

I got so irate, that I whispered "Fuckin' movie." and left.

She didn't just die, she gave her soul to a demon. In other words, she is never going to reunite with her daughter's soul.

Not only that, but that an older black woman dies to protect the child of a white woman she knew for all of two weeks (maybe) and dies saying this is what she was meant for... Literally any character in the movie could have served that purpose.

• Love 2

West Side Story: the Jets almost raping Anita and Anita retaliating by spreading the lie about China killing Maria.  I don't know which of them I hated more in that moment.  Yes Anita had every right to hate the Jets and Tony, but that's no excuse for doing such a terrible thing to Maria.

As for the Jets, Doc summed it up perfectly: they make the world lousy.

• Love 3

The whole movie is a mess, but the dinner scene in The Family Stone is just ire inducing.  It's like watching an accident in slow motion.  

I just wanted Sarah Jessica Parker's character to have a Scarface moment and say "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, I'm out." to those arrogant, self-righteous bullies, including her spineless boyfriend.

Oh my God, yes, what a self righteous bunch of arrogant twerps that family was in the movie.

Maybe I am just reading too much politics into it, but the whole thing seemed to be its a liberal family and SJP is meant as an uptight conservative that just didn't fit into who they thought the son should marry, but who they were trying to "like" in typical liberal "tolerance" fashion. In the process they just come across as full of themselves jerks.

I consider myself a political moderate but the message of the movie seemed not the least bit subtle. And pretty offensive.

• Love 4

Maybe I am just reading too much politics into it, but the whole thing seemed to be its a liberal family and SJP is meant as an uptight conservative that just didn't fit into who they thought the son should marry, but who they were trying to "like" in typical liberal "tolerance" fashion. In the process they just come across as full of themselves jerks.

I consider myself a political moderate but the message of the movie seemed not the least bit subtle. And pretty offensive.

IA, nothing was subtle about that.  I don't remember if SJP was supposed to be an actual political conservative, or if she just behaved conservatively, but I know the Stones considered themselves to be model liberals; open minded and welcoming.  That was bullshit.  

But that stuff didn't matter anyway.  Despite what the crappy writing was trying to convey, the Stones were just mean people and it had nothing to do with them being liberal, just like SJP's being uptight had nothing to do with her being conservative.  The dinner scene is where everything comes to a head, but the Stones had long since made up their minds about how they felt about her.  SJP's gaffe about gay marriage just gave them the opportunity they had been looking for to go off.

I can't believe this movie still makes me this angry.  Sorry for the rant.

• Love 2

I cannot stand Family Stone and think SJP's character is one of the most tragic figures in any movie. She had absolutely no one in her corner, including her horrible jerk of a sister. Terrible movie.

• Love 5

What is worse about The Family Stone is that it's a movie about horrible, awful people that masquerades as a movie about loving, wonderful, understanding people. I know this sounds heinous, but I was glad that Diane Keaton's character bit the dust.

• Love 4

I watched The Descendants recently, and sooooo many things piss me off.

First and foremost was that George Clooney's comatose wife was a selfish spoiled bitch who was ready and willing to throw her family away for a married man with two kids.  Obviously she didn't care enough about her own family -- she clearly didn't pay attention enough to her youngest daughter to teach her not to talk and act so inappropriately -- and she didn't care about breaking up someone else's family just so that she could have watch she wanted.

Then there was her bitch friend, who gave the whole "you weren't around and she has needs" excuse to George.  You know what?  EVERYONE has needs, but that doesn't give you an excuse to hurt other people for it.

And the father-in-law was a real piece of work.  I know that it's terrible to lose your daughter while your wife already has dementia, but again, that's no excuse.  Instead of offering comfort or support to the family, he acts like a complete jerk, blaming George for the accident because he wouldn't let his wife buy her own boat, and then going on about how perfect his daughter was.  Even though it was better for George to stay quiet instead of telling him the truth, I wouldn't have blamed him if he did.

So by the time we get to the whole maudlin "Goodbye my love, my pain, my joy" speech, I was ready to throw something at my screen.  I know it was important for him to forgive so that he could move on.  Still, a simple goodbye would have been sufficient.

• Love 2

Now you've made me want to watch The Descendants all over again.  I agree with a lot of what you point out, but life is messy; and in my mind, even knowing all this dirt about his wife, I think he could have still loved her enough to say something more than "See ya."  

What bugged me more about The Descendants is the premise about the family meeting and that they had to come to some agreement right the.  Right off the bat, I thought "No you don't, you have seven years to figure something out."  That nagged me throughout the whole flick, and when Clooney had that epiphany and realized he had seven years to come up with something at the end, I was kind of pissed off.  Like, duh?  I could have told you that two hours ago. 

• Love 2

I couldn't sleep the other night and found myself rewatching Fast Times at Ridgemont High. What the hell was that?

I won't go back and rewatch as an adult again but in one scene a character tells Jennifer Jason Leigh's character to just have sex and it's not a big deal. I want to say this friend said she did at 14?

So Jennifer does and it's with a guy in his twenties. And she's like 15!

Then she gets pregnant by that other complete sleaze of a human being. I thought he was being weird with her bc he had gotten off in point five seconds. No...he's just an asshole. So she has an abortion and brother picks her up and she claims she's hungry and wants to go eat?

I guess as a kid all of that just went way over me, but it disgusted me to watch now.

This isn't like me either. I have low moral standards in entertaintment and outside of hurting kids and animals don't really care what a person does. But damn, I was like this is gross.

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 5