Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Ho hum, another zero (and obviously no *). I don’t remember doing this badly in previous TOCs. I’ll have to see if my results spreadsheet goes back that far. Have the clue writers upped their game, or have I… no, I’m sure the writers upped their game.  I wonder how I’ll fare in the JIT. 

I think there was one time when I had the same incorrect response as one of the contestants. Can I get some points for that? 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 2

So sorry, totally forgot about this.

Week 27 – March 11 – TOC Week Three – One Asterisk
131.     *WORD ORIGINS - A radical in an 1833 failed uprising in Germany, Ludwig von Rochau coined this term for acts taken for practical reasons not ethics (Realpolitik)  
132.     WORLD THEATER- This 1867 play has a reindeer hunt & a king dwelling in snowy mountains but its title character also spends time in Morocco & Egypt (Peer Gynt)
133.     BOOKS OF THE BIBLE - This book is named for a tribe of Israel that carried out judgment of the idolaters of the golden calf (Leviticus)
134.     THE UNITED NATIONS - Of the 9 countries that have produced a U.N. Secretary-General, this nation is the only one from its hemisphere (Peru)
135.     HISTORIC AMERICANS - Near Kirkbean on Solway Firth, U.S. Vice Admiral Jerauld Wright presented a memorial plaque honoring this man (John Paul Jones)

• Love 1
On 3/15/2024 at 7:54 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I think there was one time when I had the same incorrect response as one of the contestants. Can I get some points for that? 

Ooohhh, so sorry. No. That would be an entirely different game - and many of us (myself included) would probably do a lot better at it! 😄

This week I got 1* - barely pulled realpolitik out of my mind in time. Thankfully I didn't let down the German speaking side of my family.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
35 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

1/5, no *.

This is getting depressing. 

I comfort myself in the thought that this is the TOC, and it's supposed to be harder than regular games. No way I'd get any score with any one of these contestants. So I'm happy (sort of) to get one when I can.

• Like 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

1/5, no *.

This is getting depressing. 

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I comfort myself in the thought that this is the TOC, and it's supposed to be harder than regular games. No way I'd get any score with any one of these contestants. So I'm happy (sort of) to get one when I can.

Yes, @Clanstarling, I do too.

And as a wimpy player myself, I'm wondering if/when the regular games return, I'll be a better play-along-at-home player than I was before The Year of TOCs.

But many (most?) viewers watch Jeopardy! as a participation sport, and it seems right now this is not really the same game. It's kind of like signing up to participate in a local charity run and finding oneself in the Olympics.

One day this past week I heard Ken mention something like "Tournament fatigue." 
So I'm pretty sure @Good Queen Jane's remark is being repeated throughout the land of Jeopardy! appointment-TV viewers.
And it's filtering up to the producers. 
Unfortunately there's an unavoidable time lag between:

• audience reactions →
  • producers getting that message →
  • production →
  • viewing of new episodes.

And then add in the effects of the Writers Strike (•…→ •…→ •…→ ).

I hope the Jeopardy! producers find a balance between bringing back smart, popular champions and parading a never-ending stream of too many groaners.

Worst case scenario IMO:
The producers confuse social media noise about an unpopular champion with viewer interest, and they make efforts to find a new villain.

Please excuse my soliloquy.
Back to our regularly scheduled Final Jeopardy Contest. 

Anyone got an eclair to share?

image.png.d7d65a2d1286d99a84552665e330b6aa.png

Edited by shapeshifter
time lag vs. lag time
  • Like 5
  • Fire 1
(edited)
16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyone got an eclair to share?

Anytime 😊
I’ll make cream puffs for those of us who got 0. They’re round. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

1/5 with no *.  My college self is angry at my nearing seniority self because my college self was majoring in government and history and taking German for my language requirement.  Realpolitik was right there for the taking but could current Grundoon pull up the answer in her brain?  Oh, heckie no!

Thank goodness for my theater going self who sat through a long-ago production of Peer Gynt which somehow bubbled back into my consciousness!

• Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, dankesean said:

It's another 0/5 for me for week 27. At least the ToC is over and we can return to our regularly scheduled not so crazy hard questions?

Might have to wait until after the JIT, if my score tonight is any indication.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, dankesean said:

It's another 0/5 for me for week 27. At least the ToC is over and we can return to our regularly scheduled not so crazy hard questions?

55 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Might have to wait until after the JIT, if my score tonight is any indication.

Seriously!
At least for the final TOC, my 2 wrong FJ guesses were the same as the wrong champs. 
I had no idea for the FJ of the first quarter-final of JIT. 

So, hold onto your hats, kids — it's going to be a long couple of weeks.

Maybe we need some chocolate covered coffee beans:

118-dark-chocolate-coffee-beans.jpg

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So, hold onto your hats, kids — it's going to be a long couple of weeks.

It already has been for me---my last correct FJ was on March 4!!!

• Hugs 4
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

Another zero. Clearly my brain didn’t get the memo that ToC is over. How about I just check back in if I ever get one right?

This week was the "JIT" (Jeopardy! Invitational Tournament), so just a variation of the TOC.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

This week was the "JIT" (Jeopardy! Invitational Tournament), so just a variation of the TOC.

I’ll take that. I can be as smart as Regular Virginia Jeopardy! players, but I get a pass on shows with multi-game winners. Sounds good to me. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1/5 Thank you, Rosetta Stone.

I really did feel for Terry, who thought she only needed the name of the town.

• Sad 3

1/5 Thanks to the Rosetta Stone. I was nervous it was going to be another nothing week for me. 
I’ll bring some extra crispy French Fries with either catsup, mayo or malt vinegar to top them with. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Sorry - the mister is a March Madness guy, and I didn't get around to posting last night.

Week 28 – March 18 – TOC /JIT  No Asterisks
136.     EURASIA - Zvartnots International Airport serves this capital & has the code EVN, all letters found in the city's name (Yerevan)
137.     THE HUMAN BODY - This glandular organ that starts to shrink at puberty is known for being where the cells key to adaptive immunity develop (the thymus)
138.     TRAILBLAZERS - The foremost member of the "Sochi Six", which was similar to a previous U.S. group, he died in a plane crash in 1968 ([Yuri] Gagarin)  
139.     20th CENTURY NOVELS - Virginia Woolf disliked this book that was "cutting out the explanations and putting in the thoughts between dashes" (Ulysses)
140.     FROM THE ANCIENT LAND - "Captured in Egypt by the British Army 1801" is painted on the side of this artifact named for the city where it was found (Rosetta Stone)

It's another 0 for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Another zero. Clearly my brain didn’t get the memo that ToC is over. How about I just check back in if I ever get one right?

Glad the others talked you out of it pointing out that JIT is on the same level as the TOC. Not to mention that not checking in would really mess up my score keeping system! I get really anxious when I can't find a score, even if it's 0. (yeah, I'm happy for me - lol)

• Like 4