• Start Topic

(edited)

Thank you for bearing with me as I post yet another round of tardy scores:

WEEK 15 (18 DEC): 4/5, one*

WEEK 16 (25 DEC): 5/5

WEEK 17 (01 JAN): 3/5, one *

WEEK 18 (08 JAN): 4/5

WEEK 19 (15 JAN): 3/5, two *

I just wish these Second Chances and Wildcard tournaments would end already. It cheapens the game I think. I know they had to do it at first for strike reasons, but yeah.

And on more serious matters, I stumbled on @Clanstarling's announcement of @saber5055's passing. I hope she was surrounded by the people and pets she loved. She was such a lovely person in my interactions with her on Primetimer. I just donated to my local animal rescue/shelter in her memory. We love you Saber!!!!

Edited by theartandsound
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8

2/5 with one * - got the bookends of Monday and Friday, mainly thanks to my parents.  Robeson was one of Father Grundoon's favorite performers.  Both of them liked Calder's work and took me to several exhibits of his works, including to the Whitney to see the circus.  For the rest of week, I plead the fifth or maybe Lions fever which is sweeping its way through Metro Detroit.  🤣 

• Like 4
On 1/21/2024 at 7:10 PM, theartandsound said:

Thank you for bearing with me as I post yet another round of tardy scores:

WEEK 15 (18 DEC): 4/5, one*

WEEK 16 (25 DEC): 5/5

WEEK 17 (01 JAN): 3/5, one *

WEEK 18 (08 JAN): 4/5

WEEK 19 (15 JAN): 3/5, two *

I just wish these Second Chances and Wildcard tournaments would end already. It cheapens the game I think. I know they had to do it at first for strike reasons, but yeah.

And on more serious matters, I stumbled on @Clanstarling's announcement of @saber5055's passing. I hope she was surrounded by the people and pets she loved. She was such a lovely person in my interactions with her on Primetimer. I just donated to my local animal rescue/shelter in her memory. We love you Saber!!!!

Thank you, I was getting a wee bit concerned, not annoyed at all. And thanks for your donation in @saber5055's memory.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 4

Week 19: 3/5 + 2*.  Sorry I'm late. but over the past week winter storms caused power outages and 6 days without wifi, so I'm just catching up from the archive.  Bringing clean snow with hot maple syrup to pour over it.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, Driad said:

Week 19: 3/5 + 2*.  Sorry I'm late. but over the past week winter storms caused power outages and 6 days without wifi, so I'm just catching up from the archive.  Bringing clean snow with hot maple syrup to pour over it.

We had plenty of them where I am as well. Our power didn't go out (fortunately we weren't hit by the worst of it), but we did lose internet for two days (separate days, some fool decided to sabotage it when it was finally back up). It was interesting to find out how much I rely on the internet during the day. So, long story short - no need to apologize.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

accidentally or on purpose?

According to the provider, the second outage was caused by deliberate actions - cutting some of the lines. The first outage was caused by multiple lines breaking due to the weight of icicles.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 2

Week 20:  2/5. (T, F)

LL Bean reminds me of trips to Maine, including visiting the flagship store in Freeport. Much lobster was consumed! How about some lobster rolls for the table?

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Week 20 • Jan. 22 – Two Asterisks
96.     *PRESIDENTS & VICE PRESIDENTS - The first vice president & the first president not born in one of the original 13 states were both born in this state (Kentucky)
97.     U.S. BUSINESS FOUNDERS - A 1934 note to him: "Received hunting clothes... and thank you for those wonderful shoes they fit perfect... your friend, Babe Ruth" (LL Bean)
98.     *1980s MOVIE CHARACTERS - Oliver Stone, screenwriter of this 1983 movie, named its main character to honor the Super Bowl-winning QB from 1982 (Scarface [Tony Montana was the character- Clan])
99.     CLASSIC LITERATURE - An intended sequel to this 1869 work centered on the Decembrists, a group of veterans who largely served in the Napoleonic Wars (War and Peace)
100.     LEADING LADIES: NEXT IN LINE - Janet Gaynor, Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand, her (Lady Gaga)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Thanks 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

A sad 2/5 for me this week.

Aw, 2/5 is pretty good.
Join me?

image.thumb.png.472b5eadd5b0cebc113500055671b24a.png image.thumb.png.472b5eadd5b0cebc113500055671b24a.png

{Week 20: 2/5 Tues. L.L. Bean; Thurs. War & Peace}

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

3/5 = LL Bean, War and Peace, Lady Gaga - the first two were guesses, but I knew Lady Gaga. Yay! I finally got a Friday FJ!

A storm blocked taping of Wednesday's show, but I wouldn't have got Scarface.

Bringing helium balloons so we can all inhale and have funny voices.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 5

2/5, W/F, so one *!

Friday's FJ I knew before Ken was done reading the clue, and spent the 30 seconds wondering why they'd have such a simple FJ. Then two of them got it wrong! A classic case of IEIYKI!

• Like 4

2/5 (LL Bean, Lady Gaga)  My DVR decided Friday’s episode wasn’t worth recording, so that answer was more of an insta-read. 

I was torn between bringing Maine Baked Beans and Ladyfingers, but I decided to ditch them both and, instead, make myself an early birthday pie. (Tuesday)

IMG_0524.jpeg.3a7d4b7673bf32570cafe39cd6b50fae.jpeg

Ill try not to set the table on fire with all the candles, but no promises.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

2/5 (LL Bean, Lady Gaga)  My DVR decided Friday’s episode wasn’t worth recording, so that answer was more of an insta-read. 

I was torn between bringing Maine Baked Beans and Ladyfingers, but I decided to ditch them both and, instead, make myself an early birthday pie. (Tuesday)

IMG_0524.jpeg.3a7d4b7673bf32570cafe39cd6b50fae.jpeg

Ill try not to set the table on fire with all the candles, but no promises.

Happy almost-birthday! 🥧🎈

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

4/5 with one * - couldn't decipher the Scarface clue in my brain.  I also have fond memories of Freeport/LL Bean/Lobster Rolls.  So, I will offer up another Maine treat - Whoopie Pies for dessert!

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

Welcome Back! I missed you guys! It was a 0 * week for me.

Week 21 • Jan. 29 – One Asterisk
101.     HISTORICAL FICTION - Stan Lee said the alias-using title character of this novel set during the French Revolution "was the 1st superhero I... read about" (The Scarlet Pimpernel)
102.     NAMES IN HISTORY - The scientific name of Jamaica's ackee fruit honors this captain who brought it to England in 1793 (Bligh)
103.     AMERICAN MUSICIANS - Also an author, this singer who had 5 Top 40 hits in the 1970s was called the "Pirate Laureate" (Jimmy Buffett)
104.     GEOGRAPHY - The first city in Australia with a municipal government, this state capital bears the name of a queen (Adelaide)
105.     *ARMY TECHNOLOGY - Bearing the name of a man who died in Iowa in 1838, these began service in 1979 & today number in the thousands (Blackhawk Helicopters)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

@Clanstarling, your posting presence brought happy tears to my eyes!
🥲
Of course, I may have still been a little over-emotional since watching Joni Mitchell's Grammy performance last night (https://youtu.be/awyl_RLlNl8).

I too scored:
Week 21: 0/5

Marshmallow-Snowman-Hot-Chocolate-9.jpg

But I'm glad I go to use this sad marshmallow cocoa image before the weather gets too warm for cocoa.
Hah. Who'm I kidding? 
That will be June here. 
I'm sure I'll have several more 0/5 cups before then.😉

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 3

A great start to the week and then I spent the next 4 days seeking here & there for another correct answer which like the Scarlet Pimpernel was extremely elusive.

1/5 🤔

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
35 minutes ago, Shrek said:

A great start to the week and then I spent the next 4 days seeking here & there for another correct answer which like the Scarlet Pimpernel was extremely elusive.

1/5 🤔

36 minutes ago, Shrek said:

1/5 🤔

You're not at the bottom of the heap - I got ZERO this week (though I did somehow manage to figure out Blackhawk from a fast, but long, series of thoughts.

Not sure what happened, but I kept "losing" a quote, and then it merged them and both drafts appeared and I can't edit it. Sigh...

• Like 3
  • Hugs 4

Many thanks to the son of a son of a sailor for keeping me from being skunked this week -- 1/5.

And thanks to @shapeshifter for the link to Joni Mitchell's Grammy performance.  I was too tired last night to bother watching even the red carpet (sorry I missed Miley's safety pin dress), much less the ceremony.

• Like 5
  • Love 1