Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

Week 10: 2/5, no *.

I'm the pie guy at my yearly thanksgiving feasts, so I'm bringing an old favorite along for the pre-thanksgiving Jeopardy Primetimer feast. Tart au sucre, AKA, maple syrup pie. (Sounds better in French.)

IMG-3537.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Week 10: two of five, without a single asterisk! Since someone else is already bringing the Peter Pan, I'll make my favorite fudge, with the recipe that used to be printed on the Hershey's Cocoa tin. But at the end, when you are supposed to beat in a stick of butter, I substitute an overloaded tablespoonful of crunchy peanut butter. I promise to use Peter Pan this time, in place of my customary Jif!

• Like 2
  • Wink 1

Week 11: 3/5
YTD: 31/55 (56%) with 2*

From the main season thread:

On 11/23/2023 at 11:12 AM, ams1001 said:

Well, since Facebook reminded me it was actually Sara Lee, I guess I haven't, either. I'll let y'all know how it is tomorrow in the contest thread.

There were a couple pieces of pie leftover...sorry, I ate 'em for breakfast. It wasn't bad; the filling wasn't overly sweet (though my gauge of that might be different from yours) or cinnamony but the crust was kind of dense and I wouldn't get it again. I liked last year's Sara Lee Dutch Apple better. But next time I'll try to get to the orchard store a little earlier. (We had 13 people and like five pies...my cousin's wife makes a pear-cranberry every year, my aunt made a pumpkin and a coconut custard, and also a cranberry upside-down cake. And there was ice cream. (I have some anxiety issues around food so I volunteer the apple so I know there will be something I can eat. Also my aunt requested a dessert. Cuz I guess she didn't have enough.

As a break from all the Thanksgiving leftovers, I have Stewart's root beer and Turkey Hill Simply Natural Belgian Chocolate ice cream. Who wants a root beer float?

image.png.9a742683b62d918d4f4fb8f5af5cdd05.png

• Like 5
  • Love 2
Just now, ProudMary said:

@ams1001 You had me at Stewart's! The absolute best. 😋

I was craving root beer floats and when I was at Wegmans (where I usually shop) last week they only had diet! Work gives us a $20 ShopRite gift card for Thanksgiving so I used it on pie, root beer and ice cream. 🥧🍨

• Like 2
  • Fire 3

Happy Thanksgiving!

Week 11 – Nov. 20  One Asterisk
51.     U.S. PRESIDENTS - 7 U.S. presidents were born in the state of Ohio, beginning with this man who entered West Point in 1839 (Ulysses Grant)
52.     *TELEVISION - This series grew out of a screenplay titled "Murdoch" (Succession)
53.     MUSICIANS - An Esquire profile said, "The most distinguishing thing" about the face of this singer "are his eyes, clear blue & alert" (Frank Sinatra)
54.     SCIENCE ETYMOLOGY - First detected in the Sun's atmosphere in 1868, it got its name from an old word for sun (Helium)
55.     BUSINESS - This company announced, "On September 29th, 2023, we will send out the last red envelope" (Netflix)

• Thanks 3
6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

As a break from all the Thanksgiving leftovers, I have Stewart's root beer and Turkey Hill Simply Natural Belgian Chocolate ice cream. Who wants a root beer float?

Some people say that any flavor of ice cream except vanilla in a root beer float is disgusting.  I say they don't know what they're missing, and I'll take their share of chocolate.

Week 11: 4/5, no *.   There was a sushi question this week, so I'll bring lots of sushi.  I can afford to buy enough for this group.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

2/5 (Sinatra/Netflix)

Looks like I'll be bringing Kawartha Dairy Moosetracks ice cream (it's on sale), and some Muskoka Mocha for backup. I swear, that stuff talks to me from the freezer... "I'm here!"

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I love root beer floats.

I love root beer, and I love ice cream. But I do not love them together. I'm an outlyer, I'm sure. I don't like the frothy stuff (unless it's whipped cream!).

Speaking of whipped cream - I made my pumpkin chiffon pie. Meant to take a picture of it when it was all decked out with real whipped cream (omg, it was so good), but we wanted to eat it too badly to stop and take a picture. But I thought of you guys, and it's the though that counts...right? 😆

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I love root beer, and I love ice cream. But I do not love them together. I'm an outlyer, I'm sure. I don't like the frothy stuff (unless it's whipped cream!).

I like to let the ice cream melt and mix it all in so there's no foam and it's basically a root beer milkshake. I have been known to put it in my little smoothie blender. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Week 11:  4/5 0* (2nd time my only miss was the * question. That's ... expected?). Overall: 31/55  3*

My aunt bought a pre-made sweet potato pie, thinking it was pumpkin. So I shall bring that.

Edited by illdoc
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
16 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Happy Thanksgiving!

Week 11 – Nov. 20  One Asterisk
51.     U.S. PRESIDENTS - 7 U.S. presidents were born in the state of Ohio, beginning with this man who entered West Point in 1839 (Ulysses Grant)
52.     *TELEVISION - This series grew out of a screenplay titled "Murdoch" (Succession)
53.     MUSICIANS - An Esquire profile said, "The most distinguishing thing" about the face of this singer "are his eyes, clear blue & alert" (Frank Sinatra)
54.     SCIENCE ETYMOLOGY - First detected in the Sun's atmosphere in 1868, it got its name from an old word for sun (Helium)
55.     BUSINESS - This company announced, "On September 29th, 2023, we will send out the last red envelope" (Netflix)

Week 11: 0/5

This is my 3rd zero in a row, so anyone who was feeling sad about their score just needs to be careful not to get a torn rotator cuff while patting themselves on the back.

I knew Sinatra and helium, but took a couple of wrong mental turns.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 5

Week eleven: three of five without the asterisk. I can't believe that I didn't get Old Blue Eyes!

I am excessively fond of root beer floats made with chocolate ice cream. In my neck of the woods, that's called a Black Cow!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
On 11/24/2023 at 7:04 PM, ams1001 said:

ShopRite gift card for Thanksgiving so I used it on pie, root beer and ice cream. 🥧🍨

Pantry staples! Good choice. 😉

3/5 for me this week. (Sinatra, helium, Netflix) And if you’re like me, you’re still stuffed with Thanksgiving feast, so I’m going to forgo a food offering and bring some music instead. One of my late mom’s favorites:

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Week : 2/5, no *

YTD: 20/50, one *  

21 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I like to let the ice cream melt and mix it all in so there's no foam and it's basically a root beer milkshake. I have been known to put it in my little smoothie blender. 

My mom used to get root beer freezes at Dairy Queen. Root beer and their soft serve mixed in the shake machine. They are yummy!

• Like 4

2/5 (Sinatra/Netflix)

Ditto!

I love root beer, and I love ice cream. But I do not love them together.

Another ditto! I never understood the lure of carbonated ice cream. Gimme a milkshake!

• Like 5
5 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Week : 2/5, no *

YTD: 20/50, one *  

My mom used to get root beer freezes at Dairy Queen. Root beer and their soft serve mixed in the shake machine. They are yummy!

4 hours ago, illdoc said:

Actually YTD is 11 weeks (including this week), which puts you at 22/55.

After a thorough review, 22 (including this week) is correct. Thanks @illdoc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

2/5, no *.

In honor of Ohio born Presidents, but tinged with sadness over the results of The Game, I'll bring buckeyes.

image.png.0c2ba9ff8c195319ceeb3a61dfeae44b.png

I bought some of those Saturday from a favorite bakery in Holly, Michigan. Just for that day, they were being called peanut butter treats. Even during the town's Dickens Festival events, updates were being given about the MI/OSU score.  Sorry @Good Queen Jane, but Go Blue!

I lucky guessed my way to 5/5 with one *.  I think this week Sirius Radio helped out - I have the Seriously Sinatra on my presets, another channel was discussing tv of 2023 and the Succession factoid was brought up (I never watched the show) as was the end of Netflix by mail.  Grant and Helium fell into the "I don't know what else to guess, so..." catagory.

Thanks to an overabundance of cooked hot dogs from a meal we did for our students at the small career training school where I work, I made a hot dog/baked bean casserole with brown sugar/ketchup/barbeque sauce and onion.  Glad to share.  

Edited by Grundoon59
Clearly my editing skills were at lunch when I wrote it.
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 4

Week 12 - Nov. 27   Two Asterisks
56.     *BRITISH CITIES - Over the motto "Fortis est Veritas", the coat of arms of this city features a beast of burden crossing over some water (Oxford)
57.     LITERARY GEOGRAPHY - This state university's Writers' Workshop has had famous alumni who wrote about the state, like Jane Smiley & W.P. Kinsella
58.     *A BIT OF BRITAIN - In disarray, it was sold at auction in 1915 to a local Wiltshire man, who would donate it to the British government 3 years later (Stonehenge)
59.     AMERICAN HISTORY - Established in 1963, this group had its conclusions questioned in books, reports & a special 1970s congressional committee (the Warren Commission)
60.     BODIES OF WATER - The Goshute, a Western people, called this vast body of water Teittse Paa, meaning "bad water" (The Great Salt Lake)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2