Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

Week 1: 2/5
YTD: 2/5 (40%) with 0*

40 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Week 1: 1/5    In honor of my 1 right this week, I shall be bringing Lucky Charms cereal (Ceres)

Ooh..I'll bring the milk... 💗🌙🍀🌈🎈🥛

• Like 5

Week 1:  2/5. (M, Th)

Not getting Wednesday's really frustrates me. Like many, I realized it was the Statue of Liberty sculptor and I knew the name started with a B. I just couldn't pull it out of my brain. 😒

Tuesday's also bugs because I didn't pay proper attention to the wording of the clue. I realized they were talking about the underworld and wrote down Hades. Re-reading, they were clearly looking for a body of water. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 4

Week 1 • September 11 – No Asterisks

1.        BRITISH MONARCHS - The most recent British monarch not to succeed a parent or a sibling was this ruler who succeeded an uncle (Queen Victoria)

2.         MYTHOLOGICAL PLACES - "Paradise Lost" says it's "abhorred" & "the flood of deadly hate" & in Dante's "Inferno" it's fed by a "gloomy brook" (the river Styx)

3.         ARTISTS - On October 26, 1886 he said, "The dream of my life is accomplished... I see the symbol of unity & friendship between 2 nations" (Frederic Auguste Bartholdi – the Statue of Liberty guy)

4.         WORLD CAPITALS - In English, name of 1 of the 2 4-letter capitals with the same first & last letter, one in the N. & one in the S. Hemisphere. (Oslo, Apia)

5.         ASTRONOMY - The only dwarf planet located in the inner Solar System, it's named for an ancient deity of planting & harvests (Ceres)

• Thanks 6

2/5 for the first week. I’m going to bring some alphabet soup. I need to get the letters and words forming better in my brain. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Realized that just getting Oslo was enough. I thought I had to get both.
  • Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1

3/5 for me this week which I consider good.

I got Monday, Thursday and Friday.

I am another who said "Statue of Liberty guy". I'm sure I've heard his name before but it is buried very deep inside my brain cell filing system.

Said Purgatory instead of Styx although even this long lapsed Catholic doesn't think of Purgatory as a "mythical place".

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's the World Ceres!

3/5. Besides World Ceres, I got the 4-letter clues - Oslo & Styx.

I'll bring peanuts and Crackerjack; I don't care if I never get back.

Twinsies!  The same 3/5 for me.  Happy to be above .500 to start the season!

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

M/T/Th for me = 3/5 (I'm assuming Statue of Liberty guy doesn't count)

I'll bring Smarties for those of us who think they'll help. Even though I don't eat (much) sugar, please don't get mad if I pinch all the blue ones.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

1/5 - only Oslo for me

Ditto.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m going to bring some alphabet soup. I need to get the letters and words forming better in my brain. 

I’m imagining little country-shaped pasta/noodles in our 🥣 soup that magically impart geo-political knowledge.

If I find some, I’ll bring it.

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1

1/5. Was happy when Friday's FJ category was revealed, right in my wheelhouse, saving me from starting off the season 0-fer.

And sorry folks, no half points - even I'm not getting one for The Statue of Liberty guy.

I was going to say, unless 'the Statue of Liberty guy' counts, I'm still 1/5.  

• Like 6

3/5.

I feel better now that there are so many here who also answered “the Statue of Liberty Guy.” I came up with Ceres but had no idea that it was lurking in the dark recesses of my mind. I’ll bring Pixy Styxs in honor of another one I missed.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, Bliss said:

M/T/Th for me = 3/5 (I'm assuming Statue of Liberty guy doesn't count)

I'll bring Smarties for those of us who think they'll help. Even though I don't eat (much) sugar, please don't get mad if I pinch all the blue ones.

Okay.  I'm feeling left out.  Are you guys having a party that I don't know about?  With Smarties?  (I still mourn the orange ones that actually tasted of orange.  I assume you're talking British Smarties? )  😥

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 1
4 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Okay.  I'm feeling left out.  Are you guys having a party that I don't know about?  With Smarties?  (I still mourn the orange ones that actually tasted of orange.  I assume you're talking British Smarties? )  😥

Part of the contest, when the spirit moves us, is offering up our tasty virtual yummies. For everyone, or for those at your table (by score). Often it's themed (like doughnuts for 0 FJs, or smarties...)

You are are part of the group, so you are definitely part of the party!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I am also assuming British/Canadian Smarties because the ones I know are little citric acid-flavored chalk pellets. 

We have a virtual dinner party every week with a "table" for each number of correct answers. Feel free to contribute whatever strikes your fancy. Can be something related to a Final Jeopardy clue, a category or story or other happening from the week's games, something related to the number of clues you got right that week (like donuts if you got zero, a three-layer cake if you got 3...) or just whatever you're having for dinner that day (I've been known to post pictures of a dinner salad that turned out especially pretty). The best part is you can't run out of virtual food... ;) 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

3/5 I pre-guessed Queen Victoria and, since ‘the Statue of Liberty guy’ doesn’t count, missed Wed & Friday. 

Please ladle a bowl of alphabet geo-political soup for me. I need a brain kick lol I’ll bring homemade garlic bread to go with. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Count me in the 3/5 group - Got Victoria, Styx and Oslo (which was a wild guess after deciphering the clue).  I am also in the "Statue of Liberty guy" group.  Should have known Ceres but couldn't get my brain to work on a Friday.  

Since the desserts seem to be well covered, I will contribute some pork and beef pies from my favorite Scottish bakery.  

Glad to be back with everyone - Happy Season 40!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Since the desserts seem to be well covered, I will contribute some pork and beef pies from my favorite Scottish bakery.  

Really confuse everyone & bring some mutton pies from a chip shop on Sauchiehall street as well. 

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 2
  • LOL 4
On 9/18/2023 at 1:01 PM, Shrek said:

Really confuse everyone & bring some mutton pies from a chip shop on Sauchiehall street as well. 

Please bring some scones and clotted cream from Willow Tea Rooms too.  (That'll cover both the posh and the great unwashed.)

Edited by Ancaster
  • LOL 1

Week 2:  3/5 (M, T, W)

I will bring some Chinese almond cookies, as I've been craving them since they were mentioned in Thursday's Chinese Food category!

Season to date: 5/10

Screenshot_20230922_202604_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by ProudMary
Added season to date total, as a way to keep track.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Applause 1

3/5 Couldn’t get past Lucy for Thursday even though I knew it was wrong. I remembered Sue just before Deanna’s correct answer was revealed. I guessed Tchaikovsky for Friday thinking of the 1812 Overture, despite 1812 being 60+ years after 1749 lol 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
31 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Another miserable 1/5 for me.

— which translates for me as a relief to have had another 1/5 (Monday’s Hemingway).

But I admit being disappointed that my brain was slowly going for Oppenheimer when the Think Music stopped and it was revealed. (My old brain had gone down the path of pre-2023 movie Oppenheimer.)

I’m the Scarlet O’Hara of this FJ Contest’s Tara. (“Tomorrow is another day.”)

Googling on my phone (my laptop is dead) one preview seems to indicate that Hemingway liked oysters.

I did too when the oysters 🦪  were free at high tide steps away from the cabin where I was staying in the early 1970s. 
I share them with you now, minus their tiny pearls, which I saved, then left behind:

image.jpeg.8bcc4a56803f819a524578df58ae808a.jpeg

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6

Well, here I am, back at my usual spot, the Table for 1.  Hemingway was my only FJ this week - I should have got Oppenheimer but I did not.

We have some leftover moo goo gai pan that I will bring. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

But I admit being disappointed that my brain was slowly going for Oppenheimer when the Think Music stopped and it was revealed. (My old brain had gone down the path of pre-2023 movie Oppenheimer.)

I initially read this as The Thinky Man Music, which I actually kind of like.  It reminded me of the Melty Man from the original BBC "Coupling", if anyone was lucky enough to see that (available on Prime I think).

• Like 3

Week 2 •  September 18 – No Asterisks

1.         AUTHORS - He dedicated books to each of his 4 wives, including Hadley Richardson & Martha Gellhorn (Hemingway)

2.         HISTORIC GEOGRAPHY - Of Spain's colonial possessions in the Americas, this 3,400 square mile one in the Antilles never gained independence, but did change hands (Puerto Rico)

3.         20th CENTURY PEOPLE - In 2022 the Dept. of Energy noted "a flawed process" & vacated a 1954 commission's decision "in the matter of" this man (Oppenheimer)

4.         FIRST NAMES IN SCIENCE - First name of the paleontologist who in 1990 noticed some large vertebrae jutting from an eroding bluff in South Dakota (Sue)

5.         COMPOSERS - A fireworks display followed the April 27, 1749 premiere of a work by this man that had been commissioned by George II (Handel)

• Thanks 2
  • Applause 1