Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Thanks, @Armchair Critic, for posting the link (yahoo.com/entertainment/golden-bachelor-gerry-turner-reacts-212518234.html) to Gerry's reaction to the HR et al. articles about his real life history.

But my reaction, OTOH, was that I am less inclined to think he's a con artist or a toxic partner. 
The earlier reveal articles had me thinking he was horrible.
Maybe even a serial killer, heh. 
And he undoubtedly does have his familiar lines he says when his libido is up. 
But, given his long marriage to his first wife, and with Hollywood Reporter having not unearthed any Domestic Violence history or anything, I think he and his post-death-of-wife-gf just had a nasty breakup.
Words about weight gain were tossed out in a hurtful manner. Maybe she said some unkind crap too.🤷🏻‍♀️
And, yes, this could happen again with Theresa. 

Your interpretation is extremely fair.  This show manipulates the truth all the time and we need to remember there are contracts involved.  This HR article is nothing more than a he said, she said.  Somewhere in the mix, there is the truth.  And I correct myself, the article is actually just a "she said." 

I've seen many cases of widowers dating relatively soon after losing their wives, so I don't think Gerry is so unusual.  As for the girlfriend's angle, I agree with your view.   Lots of hurt is always part of a breakup, on both sides.  We have no proof this woman's account is accurate and I can't fault Gerry for not wanting to get into a petty back and forth when asked about it.  Kind of mature for that, no?

Also, if my memory is correct, I don't remember Theresa dangling wealth before anyone.  Wasn't it Gerry who realized he needed to know more about her and at dinner asked her about her career?  I can't remember her even hinting that she was wealthy.

If anyone used slick tactics in the fantasy suite, my bet would be on Leslie after that creepy dance she did around him at the talent show.  I also question Leslie's claim that Prince wrote a song about her.  In a documentary after Prince's death, there was quite a focus on a woman named Denise who was known to be his muse.  That story is the only thing I can remember about her beyond all the woe is me drama.  The poor woman looked washed up and worn out from the get go.  I think a few extra hours alone with her finally allowed Gerry to see beyond any lusty attraction.

Edited by Recyclorette
  • Like 11
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
7 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Nayte is throwing shade but I think he's being misleading.  When they broke up, Michelle was asked what they would do with the money, and Michelle said she would see if it could be donated.  The thing is, they never ended up getting the money.  She may have asked about a donation and ABC told her "no."  So the money didn't get donated but she didn't keep it.

Interesting, because they were handed a physical check for $200,000 on AFTR, and they didn't break up until 6 months later.

Did they never cash the check, or did ABC make them keep the check in an account until they actually used it as a down payment?

Michelle had said she was going to donate it, and at the time, ABC was (supposedly) fine with that.

I guess we will never know the true details.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, SassyCat said:

I was thinking about Theresas statements to Gerry about how she wanted him to choose her only if he was 100% certain that it was absolutely her that he wanted… meaning her human personality traits and his attraction to her in a romance sparky, intimacy craving kind of way. Only if he can’t live without her as his chosen one, above any other female out there (Leslie) that he might be preferring more so.

Then she reveals her financial acuity and hints that because of this trait, she is rolling in dough and well off, not in need of other peoples help with financial neediness.

It was bait, pure and simple and he took and swallowed it like a large mouth bass from his lake.

She herself was not relying solely on her attractiveness to him to win his attention and the first prize win of the engagement ring 💍, but felt she needed to put that info out there about her financial wizardry, in what I feel was a ploy to turn the odds in her favor. 

So… in truth, she did not win because he lusted for her in attraction of physical presence and personality to die for, but because of the monetary bait she dangled at the precise moment it was needed to help him along his in final decision making in the last hours he had to do so.

I do believe he was leaning towards choosing Leslie until Theresa threw out that bait in the last day of choice mulling he had left. He was obviously more physically attracted to Leslie and loved how he felt when he was with her. He said so himself to her, quite often. Also said this to her family.

I think Theresa is very calculating, just as I thought she was calculated in her little conversations with Kathy, and pretended she did not realize that what she was saying to her was offensive. She knew damn well what she was doing while feigning innocent ignorance of how her words fell on others psyche, which caused them anxiety and feeling like they lost to her, before the “game” even really started. Shes a slick one, for sure. She played the game like a chess master.

I hope he can appreciate this about her in the future, if it ever dawns on him that she played him and everyone else, like a fiddle.

Then again, I could be completely wrong in my assessment of what I think I saw. 
I am sure she won’t be admitting it, if it was true. 

Interesting theory, SassyCat.

I expect we'll watch their wedding on January 4 and will live a wonderful life together happily ever after. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Another thing that pisses me off about Gerry is that during the Final Rose sit down, he said he knew Teresa was the "right choice" because "she could nurture a long relationship" since she was with her high school sweetheart until he died.  This was a low blow to Leslie.  Gerry's emphasis on Teresa being "right" for him implies that Leslie was "wrong" since she's divorced. 

I honestly think Leslie is more honest/raw and interesting than Teresa; she's loved men and she's had multiple extreme heartbreaks, whereas Teresa has this annoying little girl voice and comes off as an overeager lovesick teenager to me. Gerry didn't "love" Teresa until she told him about her day trading and stocks.  When Teresa said she loved him on the Ferris wheel, he said "That's so sweet of you to say" which is The Bachelor kiss of death.   If Gerry wants a wife who will kiss his ass and not question his actions or words, he made the "right" choice. 😏 Knowing what I know now about Gerry though, I'm glad he didn't pick Leslie, because she can and will do better. 

The thing is, Leslie made it clear she couldn't do better. After watching this show, it must be tough out there when looking for love in their season of life.

In the after-interviews, Theresa and Gerry have both said they looked at their upcoming union as 50/50. I appreciate that point of view as that is what I would want. 

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Interesting, because they were handed a physical check for $200,000 on AFTR, and they didn't break up until 6 months later.

Did they never cash the check, or did ABC make them keep the check in an account until they actually used it as a down payment?

Michelle had said she was going to donate it, and at the time, ABC was (supposedly) fine with that.

I guess we will never know the true details.

I expect it wasn’t a real cheque, just a symbolic one until they actually bought a place.  

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I agree.  I think Gerry did go further than other bachelor leads.  (Most of whom do say things like "I'm falling for you" in lieu of a full on "I love you" until the very end.)

He did go above and beyond "the show" by saying things like she's the one and sneaking her handwritten notes which, as I understand it, is outside of the normal "game."  Those are the kind of things we've heard of people doing for their final 1. 

And if Gerry is going to get a pass on what he said to Leslie because he "meant it at the time" then I don't understand why Leslie isn't getting a pass for believing him when he meant it at the time and legitimately being upset when he does an about-face.  Even though he liked Theresa in the beginning, everything Gerry said before the finale said the overnights changed things for him, and I think that is reflected in his behavior.  Before the overnights, he was polite with Theresa but didn't come off as enthusiastic as he did when he was with Leslie.

The overnights happened, and he saw what a great "businesswoman" Theresa was, and suddenly, the behavior was reversed.  He was withdrawn from Leslie in a way he hadn't been before.  And Leslie knew. 

I understand why Leslie was upset and don't think she overreacted. I actually thought she explained herself pretty well on the after show. She seemed especially upset that he told her she was the one. She believed it and had no doubt, and then he did a 180 on in her in less than a day. 

It was sad to me when she mentioned wanting to "be chosen." I've heard that term a lot on these shows and even on Bachelor in Paradise. It strikes me as someone who wants to be affirmed by someone else... kind of a spin on the old book, I'm Ok, You're Ok. But instead they're saying "You said I'm ok, so I must be." 

I think when Gerry rejected her, Leslie thought she wasn't ok. She was back to being "broken" and the insecurity she's had for years was reinforced. I think she would greatly benefit from a few Brene Brown videos and a good therapist. 

Gerry did a poor job of explaining himself. He basically said he felt that way in the moment and then didn't a day later. Ok... sure Gerry. Understand you liked Theresa better, but you shouldn't have told Leslie she was the one. Just own up to that part of it. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 12
  • Applause 2
3 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

It probably wasn't a real check and I have little doubt there were restrictions the leads have to agree to.  They have them on the engagement ring*, so they likely would have them on a check earmarked as a down payment. 

*A couple gets to keep the ring only if they don't break up before their two-year engagement anniversary.  It's why sometimes there's speculation about a couple breaking up based on social media activity but the official announcement doesn't come until the anniversary point.

12 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

In discussion of this issue, I haven't seen anyone produce anything other than Michelle saying she was going to look into it or see about it. 

23 minutes ago, Recyclorette said:

Lots of hurt is always part of a breakup, on both sides.  We have no proof this woman's account is accurate and I can't fault Gerry for not wanting to get into a petty back and forth when asked about it.  Kind of mature for that, no?

It's smart to shut up if you're lying too.  There's no way to know 100% what went on behind closed doors, although the Hollywood Reporter did verify with her friends that this is the story she told them back when it happened and isn't "new."

But the thing where we know she's telling the truth and Gerry is lying is with the timeline.  Gerry's attempt to clean up the story in People said he waited one year while THR was able to verify with texts and communication that he started dating his ex shortly after his wife's death. 

34 minutes ago, Recyclorette said:

Wasn't it Gerry who realized he needed to know more about her and at dinner asked her about her career?  I can't remember her even hinting that she was wealthy.

She sort of started with "let me tell you about my career."  She didn't imply wealth, necessarily, but the description of her success in finance does imply doing really well financially.  But I do not think Theresa thought she'd hook him with money. I don't think she could have prepared herself for the way he perked up with that information.

1 minute ago, Sweet-tea said:

I think she would greatly benefit from a few Brene Brown videos. 

I do think her "You don't get to tell me what I fuckin' feel" was one of the better Bachelor/Bachelorette breakup moments. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
23 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But the thing where we know she's telling the truth and Gerry is lying is with the timeline.  Gerry's attempt to clean up the story in People said he waited one year while THR was able to verify with texts and communication that he started dating his ex shortly after his wife's death. 

It seems to be the default now for the rag sheets to seek out an ex of the current lead.  Of course these stories would be juicy with gossip by virtue of the source being an ex.  I wonder how much these exes get paid.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, Recyclorette said:

It seems to be the default now for the rag sheets to seek out an ex of the current lead. 

I don't know that I'd consider THR a rag sheet.  It's a magazine that covers the industry.  People is well-known as an outlet for publicists. 

• Like 3
On 12/1/2023 at 5:39 AM, Realitystarr said:

The entire filming took place in less then a month. 

I liked  Leslie's free spirit and youthful vibe at first but as the season wore on, her always dwelling on how she 'never'  had love made it sound  like she never had anyone but she was MARRIED  TWICE.

Maybe they  were both terrrible men but either way she was  responsible for picking them and probably had a part also  in all her relationships not working out, she  has had plenty of opportunities to find love.

Either way I hope she finds comfort in knowing  Gerry does not have the 'integrity'  she thought he has and that Theresa's portfolio  was the 'big change'  that happened over night.

I mean, I knew Gerry loved the fame and the ladies but I didnt'  know that he was a gold digger too. 

I just got off the phone with my sister in Florida.  She said all the news stations are saying Gerry decided on Teresa the minute she told him she was a Trader.  It was all Leslie before he found that out.  Does anyone know exactly when Teresa told him she was a Trader?  I don’t recall that little tiddi that may have change his mind to go with Teresa.  Could it have been the night in the Fantesy suite?  Or before that and where.   My sister also said Gerry & Teresa are buying a house in South Carolina soon.  I’m reading backwards, so didn’t check up thread yet.

• Wink 1
2 hours ago, Ambers said:

The thing is, Leslie made it clear she couldn't do better. After watching this show, it must be tough out there when looking for love in their season of life.

I hope that Leslie thinks that she can do better- she's such a catch! If it's tough for her to find eligible bachelors who are mid-60's and beyond, then she could easily be a cougar and date guys a decade younger. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Will the wedding on Jan. 04 be legal or just for show?

I've been thinking that they should not get a marriage license right away.  Just go through with the big "wedding" and then maybe a year later, when they've gotten to know each other well, get married for real.  That way, either one of them can just walk away if things don't work out.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
On 12/1/2023 at 3:39 AM, Realitystarr said:

I mean, I knew Gerry loved the fame and the ladies but I didnt'  know that he was a gold digger too

And a *fat-shamer.   Teeny, tiny Theresa should be just perfect for him.  I think they'll both be caught up in all the shenanigans...I mean wedding planning and won't have enough time to decide if they're REALLY compatible--until after the Fabulous Honeymoon in ITALY!!!  

*It was interesting to read the weight comments about his former girlfriend and THEN see his daughters and granddaughters.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 10
  • Applause 3
9 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

My mom used to do this when I or others were talking, and the other day my elderly friend did it too. She was following me while I spoke. I don't know why people do it but I don't think it necessarily means they are controlling. It is distracting but I chalk it up to a behavioral tic. 

If they do another Golden Bachelor, I hope they pick someone a little younger, maybe mid to late 50s. I would be more interested in that age range. 

AKA, "The Silver Bachelor." 😎 

As for Gerry’s  choosing between 💰 (Theresa) and 🔥 (Leslie):

We have no idea what Treesa is really like, IYKWIMAITYD.

Moreover, isn't all fair in love and war? Some people are reacting as if they are shocked---SHOCKED!---that a human being would use wiles to win the affections of another! 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 4
  • Wink 1
On 12/2/2023 at 11:28 AM, MissPriss said:

Regarding Gerry’s mouthing while listening, he’s been doing this all season. if you want true entertainment, watch the listeners instead of the talkers. 

I noticed on the CMA Awards when he was a "presenter," that he mouthed the words of one of the people who was making the presentation.  ODD habit.  I've seen it in elementary school plays/concerts.  Some smart kids learn everyone's lines, but they can't stop their mouths from moving.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

There were some contradictions in the HR article that initially struck me, so I went back and read it again. The first is this "Carolyn" wanting to remain anonymous and not have her relationship with Gerry to become "national news fodder."  But "Carolyn" then decided to come forward when The Golden Bachelor "became a ratings bonanza."  Right, great way to stay out of the spotlight.  Excuse me if I smell $$$.

Then "Carolyn" admits to being mortified having been involved with a recent widower.  Her self defense:  “I just really didn’t see it. Until I went back and looked at my text messages, I never realized Gerry’s texts had turned hot and heavy so relatively soon.”  Hmmm . . . So what, you didn't understand them the first time around?

As for the high school reunion, are we to believe that Gerry invited her but waited until she was actually packing to fat shame her?  OK.  The HR did not mention any texts from Gerry with such comments and family and friends backing "Carolyn" are not proof.  Sorry, but his wife, daughters and granddaughters are not stick figures.  If he felt that way about weight, I'd be more inclined to believe him cheating on his wife.

Finally, after "Carolyn's" stress-induced fall, she struggled to get to her car with "Gerry at her side."  After which Gerry said, "Call me when you get to your hotel, so I know you made it safe.”  Well isn't that nasty of him!

What???  Yes, maybe Gerry is cheap, maybe he dated too soon for some after his wife's death, yes he has his dating lines down like most men, maybe he padded his resume like many others, and maybe out of fear of judgement he wanted to keep moving on with "Carolyn" secret.  

Like most of what we're fed from the Bachelor franchise, some things don't add up.  But neither does much of "Carolyn's" story.  Hope she was well paid.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 9
  • Love 1

I’m still reading this thread, “so,” sorry if you’ve already discussed this. But pouncing on the trip to Italy. Extra tacky, now that we know the ex-girlfriend claims that Gerry is incredibly cheap, that his immediate reaction is, “I will pay even less than I planned for our honeymoon.”

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

I just got off the phone with my sister in Florida.  She said all the news stations are saying Gerry decided on Teresa the minute she told him she was a Trader.  It was all Leslie before he found that out.  Does anyone know exactly when Teresa told him she was a Trader?  I don’t recall that little tiddi that may have change his mind to go with Teresa.  Could it have been the night in the Fantesy suite?  Or before that and where.   My sister also said Gerry & Teresa are buying a house in South Carolina soon.  I’m reading backwards, so didn’t check up thread yet.

Yes it was the Fantasy Suite night,  he was still thinking about Leslie then Theresa tells him she's a trader and has a portfolio  blah blah and suddenly Gerry's eyes had dollar signs in them and his whole  demeanor  changed and he forgot all about Leslie.

But just we know Gerry and the producer embellished his restauranteur status *he sold his small burger franchise in 1985 and has been drifting here and there as a maintenace man... it appears Theresa also embellished her status as a 'trader' years ago and is currently support staff at  a company managing Mutual Funds. 

• Like 8
5 minutes ago, Realitystarr said:

Yes it was the Fantasy Suite night,  he was still thinking about Leslie then Theresa tells him she's a trader and has a portfolio  blah blah and suddenly Gerry's eyes had dollar signs in them and his whole  demeanor  changed and he forgot all about Leslie.

But just we know Gerry and the producer embellished his restauranteur status *he sold his small burger franchise in 1985 and has been drifting here and there as a maintenace man... it appears Theresa also embellished her status as a 'trader' years ago and is currently support staff at  a company managing Mutual Funds. 

She may not be a trader, but she is more than support staff.  Her bio is on the website, has a team under her and she has a role in compliance, I believe.  This leads me to believe p, based on my knowledge of the industry, she is probably taking home $200,000+.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Another thing that pisses me off about Gerry is that during the Final Rose sit down, he said he knew Teresa was the "right choice" because "she could nurture a long relationship" since she was with her high school sweetheart until he died.  This was a low blow to Leslie.  Gerry's emphasis on Teresa being "right" for him implies that Leslie was "wrong" since she's divorced. 

I don’t know. I think it is valid. Not that Leslie is wrong for being divorced, but it felt like she was hinting that she had failed relationship after failed relationship- yet without knowing the details of all those, if all your relationships have been bad, you might have to consider that it’s not always the other party’s fault.

It also seems to me the media is making a mountain out of a molehill with Gerry’s past. It’s not unusual for producers to exaggerate the Bachelor/Bachelorette past to make them sound better. Now if he’s lying to the contestants, huge problem. But if the producers are exaggerating to the viewers, I think it is par for the course.

20 hours ago, Gigi G3 said:

It cast a pall over he and Theresa getting together and I went from liking the show to hating it. The two of them seemed awful to me to have made to the end of this competition with like the dead bodies all around them.

Me too, I couldn't stand either one by the time it ended, much less be happy for them as they gloated.

17 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

“I guess I haven’t really looked at it as how accurate it is. I’ve more looked at it in terms of timing

"Sure it's a bunch of lies, but it would have been better for me if it hadn't surfaced so soon. "

6 hours ago, SassyCat said:

I think Theresa is very calculating, just as I thought she was calculated in her little conversations with Kathy, and pretended she did not realize that what she was saying to her was offensive. She knew damn well what she was doing while feigning innocent ignorance of how her words fell on others psyche, which caused them anxiety and feeling like they lost to her, before the “game” even really started. Shes a slick one, for sure. She played the game like a chess master.

Great post.  It takes me back to when Kathy said something to the effect that Theresa was either really stupid or  very cruel.

Theresa's a very smart woman who uses her brain to say exactly the right things to manipulate people.  Yeah, Gerry, she knows how to "nurture a relationship" alright. I'll bet she spent that whole fantasy suite night telling Gerry flattering things, watching carefully to see when his eyes lit up most, giving more of that, quickly  backing off anything that didn't click, making constant eye contact and casually touching him at every opportunity, dropping lots of humble brags.  No wonder she got that finance job over more qualified people.

Too bad they didn't keep the cameras rolling so we could watch the master at work. Also too bad that all she got for all that work was Gerry.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
20 minutes ago, Realitystarr said:

SOAB.  I thought so.  So he’s wooing Leslie all night and leading her to believe she’s the one he will pick for a wife.  Then little Teresa hits him with the Trader news.  I just can’t with these shows.  Manipulation, dishonesty and heartbreak for an already broken woman who will spend her days in therapy.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The assumptions here, stated as fact, about Gerry’s  decisions continue to baffle me.

E.g., Gerry was strictly about the M-O-N-E-Y, Baby? That what it can't buy, he can't use? Who not named Gerry Turner could possibly know this?!

E.g., could his remark about the cost of the honeymoon not just be a goofy wisecrack instead of an accounting statement?

E.g., Leslie will now "spend her days in therapy"?! 

But in any case....Mes amis! We have our Official Wedding Invitation!

https://parade.com/tv/the-golden-bachelor-wedding-special-gerry-turner-theresa-nist

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 5

If Gerry became the Bachelor because he's a gold digger and wanted to find a wealthy woman to support him... wouldn't the subjects of money, career & finances have come up much, MUCH earlier?  Like day 1?  Why narrow your choices down to 2 without even confirming that at least 1 of them has the bank account of your dreams?  What if he sent home someone with a higher net worth? 

This allegation just doesn't hold water with me. 

Edited by GeorgiaRai
  • Like 8
  • Applause 2

I read some public statement she made in last day or 2 about how having someone in her life is not necessary for her happiness. Im seriously astonished at what people will say and do on national

tv. I imagine she is getting a lot of flack and felt she needed to defend herself. I truly hope she becomes happy and self sufficient on her own and finds love 💗 

Edited by nlkm9
Eroe
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Manipulation, dishonesty and heartbreak for an already broken woman who will spend her days in therapy.

The format of this show is clear.  If Leslie was truly broken before participating, that's not anyone else's fault.  She's a big  girl.  I wonder how thorough the psych evaluation is for applicants.  If it's decent and they thought Leslie was OK mentally, maybe some of her sob story was an attempt at manipulation.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:

I noticed on the CMA Awards when he was a "presenter," that he mouthed the words of one of the people who was making the presentation.  ODD habit.  I've seen it in elementary school plays/concerts.  Some smart kids learn everyone's lines, but they can't stop their mouths from moving.

Audiologist here- many hearing impaired folks lipread. I thought that was great- but i am a wierdo about hearing

• Applause 1
  • Useful 5
2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

And a *fat-shamer.   Teeny, tiny Theresa should be just perfect for him.  I think they'll both be caught up in all the shenanigans...I mean wedding planning and won't have enough time to decide if they're REALLY compatible--until after the Fabulous Honeymoon in ITALY!!!  

*It was interesting to read the weight comments about his former girlfriend and THEN see his daughters and granddaughters.

This is another allegation about Gerry by the ex that doesn’t make sense. We’ve seen photographs of Gerry’s late wife. Episode 1 very prominently featured a Glamour Shot of her, and she looked exactly like her daughter with the dark, curly hair. Link to the photo:

https://i0.wp.com/starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/Untitled-design-87.jpg?resize=602%2C452&ssl=1

And another photo of Gerry and his late wife from the show:

https://thecinemaholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/GT-2.png

Edited by JenE4
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, nlkm9 said:

Audiologist here- many hearing impaired folks lipread. I thought that was great- but i am a wierdo about hearing

What's lip-mimicking called?   He seemed to do it more when others' memorization of a script was involved.  Of course, WE didn't know it was a script.

• Like 2

Teresa‘s whole speech on the platform before he even got a word out was weird to me. What if he didn’t choose her?

I've watched a good number of Bachelor/ette seasons and have never seen a finalist speak before the B/lette does. (Maybe it's happened, but I've never seen it myself.) Teresa maybe figured she had nothing to lose, and if he was at all on the fence, she didn't want it to be because she hadn't shown her feelings. 

(I think of Arie choosing Becca because she was all in, very verbal and demonstrative while Lauren was more reserved. Arie picked Becca because he didn't know if Lauren would turn him down.) 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

This is another allegation about Gerry by the ex that doesn’t make sense. We’ve seen photographs of Gerry’s late wife. Episode 1 very prominently featured a Glamour Shot of her, and she looked exactly like her daughter with the dark, curly hair.

How does it not "make sense"? Does that mean he didn't make "comments" about his wife's weight?  His daughters'?  To them or about them?  I was 118 when I got married; after two kids and a hysterectomy, I weighed 130 at 5'5".  I heard about my weight way too often from my 6'0" 140 "hunk."

If he prefers larger women, surely he had the opportunity to give that information to Production.  I think his preference was obvious...

• Like 7
Just now, archer1267 said:

I've watched a good number of Bachelor/ette seasons and have never seen a finalist speak before the B/lette does. (Maybe it's happened, but I've never seen it myself.) Teresa maybe figured she had nothing to lose, and if he was at all on the fence, she didn't want it to be because she hadn't shown her feelings. 

(I think of Arie choosing Becca because she was all in, very verbal and demonstrative while Lauren was more reserved. Arie picked Becca because he didn't know if Lauren would turn him down.) 

You are mistaken. The contestants always give their little speech—or “vows” as Leslie called them—first. Then the lead speaks and gives their rundown of their feelings and then lets them know if they’re chosen or not. Often In Bachelorette seasons the contestants start to go down on one knee and propose before the Bachelorette stops them to let them down.

• Like 8
1 minute ago, archer1267 said:

Teresa maybe figured she had nothing to lose, and if he was at all on the fence, she didn't want it to be because she hadn't shown her feelings. 

It was more of the Original Tiny Theresa who had to oooh-and-aaah over every encounter with him--real, hoped for, or imagined...bragging to others incessantly about their "connection."  She irritated MORE than just ZIP-IT Kathy.  If this is Theresa in Real Life, Gerry needs to make sure he doesn't share information he doesn't want BLASTED everywhere!

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

You are mistaken. The contestants always give their little speech—or “vows” as Leslie called them—first. Then the lead speaks and gives their rundown of their feelings and then lets them know if they’re chosen or not.

Really? Huh. I don't know about "always," maybe we're both right with the seasons we've watched. My memory is of the earlier seasons, like I remember Trista very clearly dismissing Charlie first and then telling Ryan how she felt before he spoke. But now I'm remembering that Ashley Hebert let Ben go on and propose before she stopped him, and he was understandably pissed.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, archer1267 said:

Really? Huh. I don't know about "always," maybe we're both right with the seasons we've watched. My memory is of the earlier seasons, like I remember Trista very clearly dismissing Charlie first and then telling Ryan how she felt before he spoke. But now I'm remembering that Ashley Hebert let Ben go on and propose before she stopped him, and he was understandably pissed.

I remember Ashley tried to speak first but Ben talked over her and insisted on going first.   

He embarrassed himself.  

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

How does it not "make sense"? Does that mean he didn't make "comments" about his wife's weight?  His daughters'?  To them or about them?  I was 118 when I got married; after two kids and a hysterectomy, I weighed 130 at 5'5".  I heard about my weight way too often from my 6'0" 140 "hunk."

If he prefers larger women, surely he had the opportunity to give that information to Production.  I think his preference was obvious...

It's not a matter of it making sense.  This was an accusation from an embittered ex and, unless we hear such words from Gerry himself or someone has proof in writing, this is only pure gossip.

Good Lord, because an attention seeking ex girlfriend decides to make some cash from interviews, this man has been accused of being a fat shamer and possibly a wife killer, based on absolutely no solid proof.  That's not OK.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 4
7 hours ago, TomGirl said:

In one of the interviews posted here (from “People”, maybe?) Gerry said something about the whole family getting together to celebrate Hannukah.  What’s with that?  I haven’t seen anything to suggest that anyone in Gerry’s or Theresa’s family is Jewish.

I heard somewhere Gerry is Jewish.  At one time tho, he said he was Christian.  I think Teresa is Catholic and they will be celebrating both at South Carolina.  Who knows?  I don’t believe anything anymore about these people.

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:

I don’t think we know if he prefers larger or smaller women. I think it’s just a reach to take the word of what could be a bitter ex who claims he broke up with her over weight gain, particularly when his wife did not seem to be below average in size. It could be true, but unsubstantiated claims by one person are just that to me. 

2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

What's lip-mimicking called?   He seemed to do it more when others' memorization of a script was involved.  Of course, WE didn't know it was a script.

I posted this upthread, but it looks like there could be some benefit from posting it again:

I've seen this mouth-moving thing a few times in my life, and it is very disconcerting to talk to someone and see their lips mouthing what you're saying. However, it is a condition called echolalia, and "refers to non-voluntary repetition of another individual's speech". It apparently can be associated with autism, Tourette's, some forms of dementia, and stroke-related aphasia.

15 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

Yes, that  Nightline. Once the hostage crises was over, it morphed into a "true crime" broadcast.

I think you're talking about "Dateline", which is the true crime broadcast. Nightline is still basically the same news-oriented show that it was years ago.

9 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I wonder if the engagement dresses reflect some fundamental differences between Leslie and Theresa regarding money.   According to articles linked upthread, Leslie bought a $60,000 dress for the occasion while Theresa wore the dress Michelle wore.   

Theresa didn't wear the same exact dress that Michelle wore, as in, Theresa wearing an already-worn dress. She wore the exact same dress design by the same designer, but not in the same color.

• Like 5

I was so distracted by Leslie's comment about a $60,000 dress.   lol   I'm glad there are some feasible explanations.  

I thought i saw Theresa exclaiming, 'I won!"   to her sisters who were watching at home.   I could be wrong -- like i said  I was so distracting thinking about someone buying a $60,000 dress,  I was not really watching very closely.  lol 

I do not take this show seriously.     I don't even admit  I watch it to most people.   lol  

I can't shed any tears of sadness or for happiness on this.   I feel like some of the women who did not 'win' were a bit much.      And  Gerry and Theresa's happiness,  has me rolling my eyes.   So no, I'm not emotionally invested in this.   

It was fun to watch though. And if they are happy, good for them.   I hope they women all had a good time.   I just cannot buy that any are truly so heart broken, after such a short time.  

I was looking at a pic of Gerry and Theresa today, and just imagining what they would look like, if they went with a more natural look.   I don't know what is real or fake. And it doesn't matter.  People can look how they want.  But I imagined Gerry balding and Theresa with a less harsh hair color, and a more flattering style.   I think they would both look better.    

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

This is the first time I have watched any Bachelor show. Do they all spend so much time monologuing about their emotions, the relationships developing, how difficult it is? Every single episode, constantly?

Yes.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Just watched the Finale a few hours ago.  It was a struggle avoiding this forum so I wouldn't get any spoilers.

Kudos to all of y'all that said Gerry would pick Theresa.  I could never see it but may they be happy together.

Leslie had every right to say how she felt.  If that had been me, I would have been praying that I would go out with my dignity.  I've always felt that making a scene would overshadow any of the good things and that would be all that people would think about me.  Trust me on that:  when I was laid off, I kept it classy and on my last day, my soon-to-be ex-boss thanked me for how I had handled it.

I would have wanted to be like that when he didn't pick me.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
On 12/3/2023 at 12:22 AM, Hip-to-be-Square said:

He's as fake as his boxed Just for Men hair dye. 

I’ve used that mens beard hair dye to darken my light eyebrows. It’s for the face, right?

Works pretty good. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3