Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

What's with all of the ladies and their gracious thanks to Gerry for breaking up with them? Good for them for taking the high road and learning from "the journey", but just once I'd like to hear a lady say, "I learned nothing from you, I hate you- and we can't still be friends!" 😅.  

I wouldn't mind the "we can't be friends" because, let's face it, they likely won't be.  But the participants need to be careful to look not too bitter because they knew the game going in.  You're competing against 20 other people for one man/woman.  It is what it is and I doubt any of these women had never seen the show before. It's hard to act like you didn't enjoy your time with the lead if you were trying to seduce him while in the mansion because it makes one of those things seem insincere (either the initial interest or the "I never liked you" position.  It's also tricky to act too hurt as if you didn't know what the gig was going in.

6 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I am this demographic, and my response (based on my husband, all my brothers and brothers-in-law and my friends' husbands) is that a group of guys this age, hanging out in the mansion without television sets tuned to sports, would be miserable.

And I'd be here for it--to watch the men adjust to not having their crutches.  The younger guys manage.

3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I can’t believe we read nothing about who he picked in the Media.  Weird.

The media in general wouldn't post any spoilers for the show.  They never do even if it gets sleuthed out or spoiled by bloggers.  As for spoilers, the only spoilers I've been able to find ended at the Top 2 so I knew Faith would be getting the boot in the last episode.  Beyond that, I don't know if anyone knows beyond The Bachelor people, the final 3 (including Gerry) and their families. 

For weeks I've felt that Leslie would win since he seems more enthusiastic and attracted to her but now I'm wondering if they're hiding the edit. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 4

I suspect that the producers really prod the rejected women to thank Gerry and commend him. And if they want to a chance at being The Golden Bachelorette, they know they have to play along.

I don’t know if they’ll even do a season of The Golden Bachelorette. It would be kind of messed up if they did multiple seasons of The Golden Bachelor but never gave us the reverse. It would send the message that older women can’t be desirable.

That said, I probably wouldn’t watch The Golden Bachelorette. If the men they cast are anything like the men on the regular Bachelorette, it would be unbearable. Men in their sixties or older engaging in constant dick-measuring contests? No thank you!

And I’d have to wonder why men that age who claim they’re looking for love can’t find it. (Even though I know there are some eligible men who are just picky, or just getting over their late wives, etc.)

I might make an exception for a season with Susan, Sandra or Edith as the Bachelorette, though! But I can’t imagine they would be cast.

Faith is much more likely, but she rubbed me the wrong way a few times, like her “I’m not like these other girls with all their shopping!” plea to Gary early in the season. (I thought she was going to start singing, “They wear short skirts/I wear t-shirts…”)

And Joan seems nice but bland. As a fellow resident of the DC area, I recognize her as someone who’s way too buttoned-up to fully enjoy herself.

Also, god help me, something about her appearance reminds me of a (much more attractive, obviously) Ann Coulter.

They could probably find us someone new who’s fabulous, too. But I like the idea of men applying specifically because they saw the Bachelorette on this season and fell for her.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

OK so this isn't technically a spoiler, but I'll use a Spoiler tag, in case it's not allowed:

Spoiler

My friend just met Gerry at the airport!  She ran into him and stopped him, and he was kind enough to take pics with her and her family, including one with her hugging him!

In the Bachelor franchise, once the Bachelor/ette makes their final choice, they are contractually bound to secrecy until the finale airs.  But since there is a several-month lag in between filming and airing, the show flies them to see each other in cities that are not where either of them live.

So presumably, Gerry was flying from one random city to another, to rendezvous with his final choice.

He was very handsome in the pics.  Jeans, a casual long-sleeved knit shirt, carrying a water bottle, and a small bag over his shoulder.  Clean-shaven (thankfully), and all smiles.  All in all, they said he was a great sport.

So that's it....not a true spoiler, but don't want to reveal anything we're not allowed to reveal!

Edited by Starlight925
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Joan has been a favorite for many, she is putting out videos on social media and while she is a beautiful woman I don't find her interesting.

Is she that beautiful though?  I can't get past the frozen face and the lip licking (which are probably related.)  Not saying she wasn't pretty at one time, but there is nothing there today that I see that would cause me to say she was beautiful, and I can't believe there are that many non-Hollywood men who would think so either, given the amount of work.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

there is nothing there today that I see that would cause me to say she was beautiful, and I can't believe there are that many non-Hollywood men who would think so either

A slim figure and long blonde hair goes a long way with some men. ;)

When I see her modeling clothes in her videos I am a bit envious of her slender figure and long legs and how she looks in clothes. But no to the frozen face.

• Like 9
On 11/11/2023 at 1:16 PM, kristen111 said:

What’s so great living near a lake or river?  Fishing?  It looks like it’s desolate there.  Are stores nearby?  Or a town?  Will they just sit on the porch?

Away from industrial noise, just the sounds of birds, nature and water.  I personally would love the peace and serenity. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Yes!!! "Can we still be friends?" is such a patronizing phrase to tell a girl!  Good for you for saying "No"!  Whenever a guy says, "Can we still be friends?" during the breakup, I angrily say to him, "We were never friends!" Because a true friend wouldn't blindside a girl with a breakup on Christmas Eve over the phone, Jackson 😅.  I can take myself out to pizza at the mall food court, Ryan 😏! You do not wish me well, Mike 😅!!! All of the empty phrases that guys tell girls on the way out are a way for them to try to save face during a breakup and I won't give them the satisfaction of having me go down easy without a fight! 😄🙌💯.  Friendship is earned, it is not a consolation prize! 

I was all set to go beat up Jackson for you (uggh, Jackson, right?) but then you brought in Ryan and Mike, and I’m just not sure I can take them all on! Maybe we can pitch in and get them all season tickets to a losing team somewhere. Or get them cast as disposable guys on the next Bachelorette?

• LOL 9
27 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was all set to go beat up Jackson for you (uggh, Jackson, right?) but then you brought in Ryan and Mike, and I’m just not sure I can take them all on! Maybe we can pitch in and get them all season tickets to a losing team somewhere. Or get them cast as disposable guys on the next Bachelorette?

Thank you!  Hahaha so great 🤣🙌💯! Let's tag team them in a pickleball match with Gerry as a referee.  Jackson was the worst with Mike and Ryan tied for second place jerks.   Disposable Rejects on The Bachelorette sounds perfect- or maybe they can all be put in a kiddie pool full of crabs 🦀 on Bachelor in Paradise 😅.  I bet they'd be equally emotionally unavailable on The Bachelorette and probably self-eliminate, 🥀 since "they're not in a good place" and "need to figure themselves out" 🙄😄.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
7 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Joan has been a favorite for many, she is putting out videos on social media and while she is a beautiful woman I don't find her interesting. I agree about Ellen being more real, but doubt they will go with her.

What’s not right with me is we haven’t seen half of the women in the beginning, so don’t know what they are about.  He picked the outspoken ones and some troublemakers for drama.  Only one hour was a big mistake.  Not enough time to get to know everyone.  Not crazy about he final three either.  I would love to see what men bachelors have to say.  Probably not much.  They won’t be like Gerry crying, etc.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Well, what I was going to post was a bit spoiler-y, so I won't say it.  

But a friend just met him in person.  That's all I'll say.

There's no way that could even be considered a spoiler😕

Edited by Soapy Goddess
  • Like 3
26 minutes ago, archer1267 said:

This may be an unpopular opinion and I'm not sure how to articulate it...

I just watched the Women Tell All and was struck how often the words "inspiration," "inspirational" are used to describe the women. (Not just on the show, but what I've read in articles about the show.) It bothers me, like these women are just being themselves and living full lives, but somehow they're "inspiring" because they're senior women? I see the word also used to describe people who are dealing with serious illnesses or disabilities.

I get that it's meant as a compliment, but the word sometimes seems patronizing to me. Maybe it's just the way we view aging in the US, that if seniors are still leading active, interesting lives (and are not ill or incapacitated), they're considered outside the norm? Maybe this is tied to what Joan said about women her age being invisible.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with this observation - I'm curious if others noticed this and feel the same way.

Completely agree with you that it’s patronizing! What’s “inspiring”? That they didn’t give up on love and life, and go live alone as a hermit in the woods once they hit 65? My kid and I were saying something similar when watching the Masked Singer. Whenever anyone comes out that seems a little slow/unsteady on their feet or their voice is a little shaky seemingly from the ravages of time, they always say, “We got a legend on this stage!” They go as far as to say “living legend” when it seems they’re implying this person is on death’s doorstep. We were saying, oh, this person seems older, they’re going to call him a legend—sure enough, they did! We know what you’re doing with these euphemisms. To me it seems like coded ageism. 

Edited by JenE4
  • Like 4
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

A slim figure and long blonde hair goes a long way with some men. ;)

When I see her modeling clothes in her videos I am a bit envious of her slender figure and long legs and how she looks in clothes. But no to the frozen face.

What I'm finding totally refreshing is the change in the American standard of beauty which, for generations, has been the blonde and blue eyed Scandinavian stereotype.  Not only has Gerry preferred the brunettes, but the clear preferences on Bachelor in Paradise this year have been the Latinas and women of mixed race.  The two contestants with the long blonde hair extensions and traditional franchise look were immediately sent home!

Not judging anyone here, as beauty is beauty regardless of hair color, etc.  It's just nice to see that the opinion of beauty is evolving and more inclusive.  What's also been interesting on BIP is that most of the women appear to be much more natural.  Yes, there are some boob jobs and hair extensions, but that does not seem to be the norm this season.  Let's hope this continues!

• Like 7
On 11/12/2023 at 12:51 PM, Armchair Critic said:

Joan has been a favorite for many, she is putting out videos on social media and while she is a beautiful woman I don't find her interesting. I agree about Ellen being more real, but doubt they will go with her.

Ha .. and I thought Joan was a little on the shy side.  Guess not.  Videos and social medias?

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
2 hours ago, archer1267 said:

I get that it's meant as a compliment, but the word sometimes seems patronizing to me.

It often is patronizing.  In saying how special this group of women is, the show and the women themselves are implying that the rest of us are a bunch of duds.

Leslie offended me when she got out of the limo with a walker then threw it aside and took off her nightgown to show her little short dress underneath. Then she said something braggy about not being your typical old person.

I walk with a cane and from time to time have to use a walker, I have throw pillows all over the sofa, and I even belong to a book club. So sue me. 

I have a good time doing what I enjoy and I'm not about to force myself to play pickle ball (not that there's anything wrong with that) just so I can tell everyone I'm not one of those typical (gag) old people.

Re:Joan 

Here I was thinking the good thing about this Bachelor was we didn't have a bunch of young people hoping to become influencers.  

Almost every season of The Bachelor has some sort of talent show and one person who is so so scared... who then breaks through and nails it!  It's one of the most obvious examples of producer manipulation.  I remember in James's season the young girl he chose (can't remember her name) was so frightened when they all had to do some modelling, then she came strutting out and won.  She was already a professional model!

I'm starting to wonder if Joan's whole presentation was planned from start to finish including the sick daughter business.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 3
22 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Is she that beautiful though?  I can't get past the frozen face and the lip licking (which are probably related.)  Not saying she wasn't pretty at one time, but there is nothing there today that I see that would cause me to say she was beautiful, and I can't believe there are that many non-Hollywood men who would think so either, given the amount of work.

Agree. Her face is too stretched/tight for my taste. She looks good from a distance though--slim, long blonde hair. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 6
On 11/9/2023 at 9:22 PM, mishap said:

I just hate the clip when Gerry says that he's never felt worse in his life, except for when his wife passed, and that having to  just pick one, is a close second.     Not his exact quote but that's the gist.  

Come on Gerry.  I think they were married 40 - some years?    That is real life.   He has known these women for weeks?   Months?    

I know he said  he felt worse, losing his wife.   But he also said this was a close second.      This show is a game.   Entertainment.  If he finds true love, that is great but it seems to me he is diminishing his life with Toni but comparing her loss to this.   

I thought him saying that was absolutely atrocious, and if I were his kids, I'd have a tough time forgiving him. I guess I'd have to really chalk it up to the emotion of the situation just overcoming him and temporarily rendering him unable to think clearly.

On 11/10/2023 at 10:12 AM, JudyObscure said:

I'm still worrying about the grandchildren.  How do you explain that the man they met decided he didn't like grandma?  Their grandma!  The greatest woman on earth next to Mommy!  

I think they should be told that Grandma turned him down because she didn't want to move far away from them. That, they would understand. 

Gotta disagree, especially the last part. Some kids are sensitive and may conclude that it's their fault that their Grandma isn't with this great guy that they liked and that Grandma liked.

On 11/10/2023 at 11:27 AM, Laurie4H said:

You can develop feeling in a month in a normal situation if you are spending a lot of time alone with the person.  But these situations most only get one date and a few group dates where they hardly get one one time with him.  

Yeah, it's funny on Bachelor in Paradise, when almost every season that a Bach/ette lead has been on, there is some former contestant from that season and they say something like, "I've spent more time with [whoever] this afternoon on the beach, than I did the entire time of our season."

On 11/11/2023 at 2:09 PM, deSchenke said:

I usually regret watching the Women Tell All episode. It's usually a b**chfest or a pile-on. This was neither and enjoyable. The women seemed to have made true friendships and supported one another. Even Kathy, came off reasonable. She owned up to how she handled herself, saying she's the one who should have "zipped it!"

It was sooo refreshing to watch these ladies on the WTA. I can only hope that some of it rubs off on the "ladies" of the younger generation!

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

On 11/9/2023 at 8:30 PM, Armchair Critic said:

I'm so old I remember his season. Yes he does a good job, he teases them a little but he is laughing with them not at them.

I continue to wish I could travel back in time, because as a "right reasons" viewer from the very first season, I boycotted Jesse's season (the only season I didn't see). At the time, he was already famous, having been an NFL quarterback, and the franchise wasn't yet in its recycling of Bach leads from the jilted finalists on the B'ette (and vice-versa). I didn't like the idea of having someone who was already famous be the lead, so I didn't watch, and now I just want to kick myself...or kick some sense into the overly idealistic me from back then!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I continue to wish I could travel back in time, because as a "right reasons" viewer from the very first season, I boycotted Jesse's season (the only season I didn't see). At the time, he was already famous, having been an NFL quarterback, and the franchise wasn't yet in its recycling of Bach leads from the jilted finalists on the B'ette (and vice-versa). I didn't like the idea of having someone who was already famous be the lead, so I didn't watch, and now I just want to kick myself...or kick some sense into the overly idealistic me from back then!

I never got to see Jesse's season either, it looks like a lot of fun based on the clips I've watched on YouTube!  Why can't ABC upload all of the seasons from the beginning to now? 

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

This isn't really episode-specific, just something I've seen too often with women of a certain age (e.g., Susan): the attempt at cutesy youth by crinkling the nose when laughing. 🚫

I thought it was just her lips sliding up over those giant teeth and getting so much momentum they push her nose up.

• LOL 13

Finally saw the last episode yesterday.  All I can say is that Theresa may not have been a favorite, but damn if the woman isn't hanging in there by her fingernails!

I really looked at her during the Rose ceremony and was concerned that she would have either cried like a waterfall or pitched a hissy fit if she hadn't been chosen.  Her mouth was working up to something!

• Like 8
  • Love 1
On 11/12/2023 at 12:51 PM, Armchair Critic said:

Joan has been a favorite for many, she is putting out videos on social media and

Saw her on TikTok the other day! She was doing some cooking segment making chicken noodle soup for her 91 yr old mother. It was boring. Maybe she should stop trying to make herself happen. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
4 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Saw her on TikTok the other day! She was doing some cooking segment making chicken noodle soup for her 91 yr old mother. It was boring. Maybe she should stop trying to make herself happen. 

I love this sentence!  So simple and to the point.  Will utilize. Thanks!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 11/11/2023 at 8:25 AM, Starlight925 said:

A nurse or a purse....

The last guy I dated was 62.  Turned out, he was broke (in debt actually), and looking for someone to home him.  Very similar to that guy in "Some Kind of Heaven" film about the Villages.  

There are a lot more "Dirty John" types than people realize.  People who present themselves one way....

Note:  I've been on a tour of the Villages.  Beautiful place, pristine, not so much as a blade of grass out of place.  The film only showed that one loser guy who doesn't even live there, so it's not a true representation.  I actually spent an entire day by myself there, driving around, eating at the restaurants, people-watching.  It's still on my "consideration" list.

More likely they want a Nurse WITH a Purse....  

• Like 6
  • Applause 3

I think Leslie is too much for him.  Too worldly.  Teresa is more his style, so he would be more comfortable with her.  Leslie doesn’t look the type to sit on the porch and watch the river.  Teresa will do ANYTHING he wants.  I also think he wants to keep his house.  Leslie would go bonkers there.  

• Like 9

I don't normally watch any Bachelor shows, but I'm enjoying this one. I like Teresa because she seems to be the only one who isn't there to be on TV. Gerry is sort of nerdy, but likeable enough.

I mainly like it for the women, though. I really hope Sandra, Susan, Kathy or Edith is the Golden Bachelorette if they have one. I don't think I would have much interest in Faith or Joan.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, MsVixen said:

More likely they want a Nurse WITH a Purse....  

Sorry if I have the wrong person up there.  Anyhoo, husband and I went thru the Villages.  A beautiful place for sure, but not for me.  He would play golf and cards with the boys.  I’m done with being social.  Been there, done that.  We moved from New York to Florida when we retired.  Six months of all that jazz and I was done.  Missed N.Y.C. and my kids and grandkids.  All those activities were not for me.  At this point, I rather be home with my tv and books and change of seasons.  The heat was unbearable and I was always in the house anyway.  The Villages is for people that are very social and need to be doing something every minute.  It is beautiful and affordable tho.  I love the four seasons and relish the pine trees up north.  The ideal is to have two houses.  One down there, one up north.  For me anyhow.  Not knocking it, but just telling my story.  I did not like the way they depicted The Villages.  The place is not like the guy they picked to show it.  It’s better.  He was a turn off looking for a rich woman to take him in.  Yuk.  I didn’t like the Documentary at all.  It was depressing to me.  Sorry.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
16 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I don't normally watch any Bachelor shows, but I'm enjoying this one. I like Teresa because she seems to be the only one who isn't there to be on TV. Gerry is sort of nerdy, but likeable enough.

I mainly like it for the women, though. I really hope Sandra, Susan, Kathy or Edith is the Golden Bachelorette if they have one. I don't think I would have much interest in Faith or Joan.

I never watched any of them either and I'm enjoying this one. I like almost all of the women and I like Gerry. 

• Like 5
20 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Yes, you would think she would go away already. She was there for like, two weeks? There were far more interesting women there, although she was pretty. Dang, all those women were pretty. I could only wish to look that good at their age?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I'm glad they're dragging this season out for a few more weeks, because I like reading all of the posts on here every week! 🙌😄🌹

Me too.  It’s like we are all friends and on the same page.  👍🌹❤️

• Like 3
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

At this point, I rather be home with my tv and books and change of seasons.  The heat was unbearable and I was always in the house anyway.  

Kristen, I wonder if our heat tolerance decreases as we age?  I moved to Tampa 35 years at 33 and had NO problem with the heat. NOW it's a different story.  I'd move back to Iowa in a heartbeat as I don't mind the snow or the cold but I can't stand the dreariness and not seeing the sun for weeks on end.

• Useful 2
2 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

Kristen, I wonder if our heat tolerance decreases as we age?  I moved to Tampa 35 years at 33 and had NO problem with the heat. NOW it's a different story.  I'd move back to Iowa in a heartbeat as I don't mind the snow or the cold but I can't stand the dreariness and not seeing the sun for weeks on end.

I always ran hot no matter the age.  Florida was beautiful.  My new house was beautiful.  The only time I was comfortable was in January.  It really heated up in March.  Couldn’t go in the pool Memorial Day.  The ground was burning.  I as sick of palm trees and wanted to see pine trees again.  I needed air conditioning except in January.  My Sister lives in Homosassa where the Manatees live.  My niece in Tampa.  Visiting them is enough .. Disney too.  But, I am a New York girl.  The ideal is live up North and rent in sunny Florida for a month or two in the winter months.  Right?  Long Island costs tons of money to live here.  Can’t you rent for the winter months?

• Like 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Me too.  It’s like we are all friends and on the same page.  👍🌹❤️

So true- and It's so much fun here 😄🙌💯! I really hope that there's a Golden Bachelorette so that we can all keep up the great posts.    I'm not even that into the new super baby-faced bachelor named Joey coming up -but I will watch it anyway and take one for the team! 😉🌹

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

So true- and It's so much fun here 😄🙌💯! I really hope that there's a Golden Bachelorette so that we can all keep up the great posts.    I'm not even that into the new super baby-faced bachelor named Joey coming up -but I will watch it anyway and take one for the team! 😉🌹

What??? They picked a new bachelor Joey?  I’ll have to look around.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, deSchenke said:

I turned it off after the first 45 minutes due to it being depressing to me.

What documentary?  What have I missed?

On the subject of a possible Golden Bachelorette, I'm having a day nightmare of the Bachelors all being divorced because they were too controlling.  😁

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

What??? They picked a new bachelor Joey?  I’ll have to look around.

Yep, Joey was on Charity's season of The Bachelorette, and he was one of the final two guys left 🥀😄.  He has a very basic personality and he's cute, but he just looks way too young to me.  I like his curly hair- I'll give him that.  One thing I remember from his time on The Bachelorette is that his own uncle said that Joey doesn't have a strong sense of self/personality, so he morphs into whoever he's hanging out with.  That definitely turned me off and I wasn't even at hometowns! 😅

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, bequialife said:

Based on the title alone, I just couldn't bring myself to see it!

Apparently “make xxxx happen” has made its way into the vocabulary of even people who haven’t seen the movie. (Or maybe I’ve lost track of the quotes within quotes and am attributing it to the wrong poster.)

• Like 6