Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Yes, the gray comes in at the roots some number of weeks after you've dyed it, and the rest of your hair stays roughly the color that it was dyed for much longer.

I knew that happens, but someone was lamenting that so many of the women weren't willing to have their natural hair color, and somebody replied, "Believe it or not, some of us have very little gray hair. I'm 66 and have only a little gray by the sideburns area and at the roots."  That's what I found confusing--it sounded like they don't dye their hair.

• Like 6

What's surprising to me is that they were able to go over 20 mph on an LA freeway!   You can get on at 2 AM and still have "bummer-to-bummer" traffic as one radio announcer called it.  They may have cleared the freeway too.

On 10/9/2023 at 5:19 AM, nlkm9 said:

audiologist here-most people with hearing aids do lipread a bit--the hearing aids help but not 100%

For me. it's the other way around. I do a bit of subconscious lipreading, but I'm lost without my aid.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

Re:  Gray hair.  I bet 95% of them dye their hair, including Gerry.  That one woman with the beautiful gray hair is the exception, but yes, most women in this age group dye.

I'm almost 62, and I have very little gray.  The gray is so sparse that it's one hair here, one there, but enough for me to dye it (at-home touch-ups every few months).  Every single friend of mine dyes, whether they'll admit it publicly or not.  100%.

Looks like they gave Gerry not only a bit of highlights and a "younger" cut, but that they also added some hair.  He's a handsome guy either way, but not TV handsome, so ABC stylists took care of him.  I do hate that they're trying to "young him up" with the day-old scruff, as I don't think that's attractive on anyone.

I recently had lunch with a friend (64) who has gone almost completely blonde, from being a very dark-haired natural.  In her day, she looked exactly like Katherine Heigl in Firefly Lane.   Her blonde is beautiful, and she said it's because very blonde hides the persistent grays that come in within weeks of the last color, which made me realize that so many women our age go from dark natural to blonde as their color of choice.

• Like 4
On 10/7/2023 at 1:03 AM, SkateQueen said:

Are they going cheap for The Golden Bachelor?  Dinner at a diner?  Not even a sandwich -  just fries and a milkshake? 

The diner they went to is actually a movie/filming set.  I thought it was curious how the waitress suggested fries and a milkshake--now I know why.

7 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

What's surprising to me is that they were able to go over 20 mph on an LA freeway!   You can get on at 2 AM and still have "bummer-to-bummer" traffic as one radio announcer called it.  They may have cleared the freeway too.

Given the 18-wheeler that laid on its horn as it passed them, I don't think they cleared the freeway.  Honnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnk.

They left the mansion in full daylight, and it was almost dark by the time they got to the diner, about 30 miles away.  So I'm guessing they hit some traffic along the way. 

And my apologies to Gerry--when the 18-wheeler passed him, I didn't reverse things in my head and thought Gerry was poking along in the left lane with people having to fly around him on the right.  No amount of portraying seniors in a sympathetic light that this show does will make up for an old dude poking along in the fast lane in an old convertible.

For me. it's the other way around. I do a bit of subconscious lipreading, but I'm lost without my aid.

I don't think that's what the audiologist meant.  More like a lot of people assume that hearing aids restore hearing 100% (no doubt due to their marketing, but my rant about that is for another time), but they don't, so a lot of people with hearing aids do some lipreading.

However, it's not just them.  One thing Covid revealed is that even people who aren't hearing impaired use lipreading (or maybe just other visual facial cues) more than they thought.

• Like 6
22 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Re:  Gray hair.  I bet 95% of them dye their hair, including Gerry.  That one woman with the beautiful gray hair is the exception, but yes, most women in this age group dye.

I'm almost 62, and I have very little gray.  The gray is so sparse that it's one hair here, one there, but enough for me to dye it (at-home touch-ups every few months).  Every single friend of mine dyes, whether they'll admit it publicly or not.  100%.

Looks like they gave Gerry not only a bit of highlights and a "younger" cut, but that they also added some hair.  He's a handsome guy either way, but not TV handsome, so ABC stylists took care of him.  I do hate that they're trying to "young him up" with the day-old scruff, as I don't think that's attractive on anyone.

I recently had lunch with a friend (64) who has gone almost completely blonde, from being a very dark-haired natural.  In her day, she looked exactly like Katherine Heigl in Firefly Lane.   Her blonde is beautiful, and she said it's because very blonde hides the persistent grays that come in within weeks of the last color, which made me realize that so many women our age go from dark natural to blonde as their color of choice.

Blonde does hide the gray as it grows out. With me it even looks like lighter highlights. And this way, I don't have to dye my  hair as often. If it were dark, I would be doing it every 3 weeks. 

Gerry is a handsome man no matter what they did to him. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Kathy looks like Caitlyn Jenner too much for me to take her seriously.

Just as Susan looks too much like the Kardashian mother for me to take her seriously.

5 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Her blonde is beautiful, and she said it's because very blonde hides the persistent grays that come in within weeks of the last color, which made me realize that so many women our age go from dark natural to blonde as their color of choice.

Yup.  There's a reason why some of us brunettes suddenly become blondes as we get older, including some of us who were in our 30s at the time the decision was made (though I'm shocked that this comes as a surprise to anyone.)

I too thought the grey-haired lady from the first night was beautiful, but I will go to my grave believing that gray hair makes everyone look older and I don't care how it's styled or how confidently you wear it.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

Just as Susan looks too much like the Kardashian mother for me to take her seriously.

Yup.  There's a reason why some of us brunettes suddenly become blondes as we get older, including some of us who were in our 30s at the time the decision was made (though I'm shocked that this comes as a surprise to anyone.)

I too thought the grey-haired lady from the first night was beautiful, but I will go to my grave believing that gray hair makes everyone look older and I don't care how it's styled or how confidently you wear it.

My friend let her's go gray and now does a purple rinse. It actually looks really neat! I asked my husband if I should let the gray come in and he said "you aren't that old yet". I agree, for the most part it does make one look older. I work with a woman who dyed her's gray and it aged her a lot. 

• Like 2

Personally I think that with so many women dying their hair for at least 20 years (or even permanently) after it's gone gray is what makes people think that a woman with gray hair is REALLY old. It reminds me of a quote from Gloria Steinem (obviously) a long time ago:

To a reporter who remarked, ''You don't look 40,'' she replied, ''This is what 40 looks like. We've been lying for so long, who would know?

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Personally I think that with so many women dying their hair for at least 20 years (or even permanently) after it's gone gray is what makes people think that a woman with gray hair is REALLY old. It reminds me of a quote from Gloria Steinem (obviously) a long time ago:

Yup.  Happened to me.  Usually people think I’m in my mid 50s…am 61.  But when I let my hair go grey, they thought I was 65+.  

• Like 4
2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I can see that now. For me, Susan was giving off Liza Minnelli vibes. Not conventionally pretty but makes up for it with personality.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Also, I think having dyed hair looks strange when the rest of the body parts have gone south.

I have noticed that a lot of the women on the show have very smooth faces but very slumping necks and arms.

I'm not body-shaming-- just pointing out that you can't really hide your age. I think it's better to accept the wrinkles.

• Like 13
  • Applause 3
4 minutes ago, dleighg said:

if that's true, that makes me really sad. He had me sold.

I do believe he is looking for a real relationship.

But... I think he is a bit more slick than people think, I notice he has all the right answers for interviews.  It does take a bit of an ego to go on a tv program like this. I would not want my father to do it.

• Like 12

I have 2 friends who stopped coloring their hair and " gave in" they look really good!! it suits them. Me, I just cant go there i have a slighty darker skin tone and originally very dark hair so it is very again to me. and now that you said the caitkyn jenner thing I cant unsee it. maybe they are editibg her a certain way but she comes across as not very nice and attetion seeking

• Like 1
On 10/6/2023 at 2:32 PM, libgirl2 said:

As I have gotten older, my  night vision isn't that good anymore and I'm right near 60. When my manager decided we should work one night shift a week (this department has NEVER worked late unless someone chose to). I explained that some of us who are older have poor night vision. She said "age is no excuse" and pretty much shut me  up.  I can't imagine how it will be in 5 or 10 more years. 

Are you sure that you aren't developing cataracts?  They can really affect night vision.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

They left the mansion in full daylight, and it was almost dark by the time they got to the diner, about 30 miles away.  So I'm guessing they hit some traffic along the way.

30 miles in 2 hours is 15 mph.  It sounds like it was 3 or more -- LA traffic doesn't move that slowly.  I think they left at 2 PM maybe, stopped for a couple of hours while the car was driven or towed a few miles down the road, then Gerry drove for just long enough (half an hour would probably been enough) to get the footage and pull into the diner.  That works better time-wise.

15 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I don't think that's what the audiologist meant.  More like a lot of people assume that hearing aids restore hearing 100% (no doubt due to their marketing, but my rant about that is for another time), but they don't, so a lot of people with hearing aids do some lipreading.

My aids don't work 100% (I really can't hear whispers no matter what my wife thinks -- LOL) but I hear 1000 times better with them than without.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Are you sure that you aren't developing cataracts?  They can really affect night vision.

I get my eyes checked every year and no sign of them. I'll be going at the end of the year. I did mention last time how my night vision is changing and she said it is age. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 3
15 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Juicy! Take it with a big grain of salt, but somebody on another forum just posted he was dating a 24 year old for a while (she said he was a good sugar daddy). 

Gross!  If this is true, I might nope out now.  I don't get it.  When I was 24, there wasn't enough money in the world to make me date a 71-year old man.

• Like 10
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1

To paraphrase then-candidate Reagan about Mondale:

I will not make age an issue in my viewing. I wouldn't exploit, for romantic purposes, the Golden Bachelor's youth and inexperience. 

I'm 74 soon. 😉

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

Gross!  If this is true, I might nope out now.  I don't get it.  When I was 24, there wasn't enough money in the world to make me date a 71-year old man.

I'm a terrible gold digger, I made more money than my husband our first few years together. If it is true about Gerry and the 24 year old maybe he just wanted a companion but wasn't ready for a real relationship? Maybe it isn't true, I don't know but I thought it was interesting.

• Like 2

I really hope that Gerry wasn't a Sugar Grampy- then the whole "aw shucks" tender moments act with the age-appropriate beautiful women is false if he was getting down with a 24-year-old 🤨.  Could it have been strictly transactional money for company without sex? He is still grieving and cries even reminiscing about his wife so I couldn't imagine him actually boning a 24-year-old after his wife died.  But then again, this 24-year-old could be an experienced sugar baby and saw him as an easy mark since he was a wealthy and retired widower.  Why is this 24-year-old outing herself? Is she proud of boning a guy old enough to be her grandpa for an allowance? She should work at the mall part time for money if she needed it.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I really hope that Gerry wasn't a Sugar Grampy- then the whole "aw shucks" tender moments act with the age-appropriate beautiful women is false if he was getting down with a 24-year-old 🤨.  Could it have been strictly transactional money for company without sex? He is still grieving and cries even reminiscing about his wife so I couldn't imagine him actually boning a 24-year-old after his wife died.  But then again, this 24-year-old could be an experienced sugar baby and saw him as an easy mark since he was a wealthy and retired widower.  Why is this 24-year-old outing herself? Is she proud of boning a guy old enough to be her grandpa for an allowance? She should work at the mall part time for money if she needed it.  

There are women out there that swoop in on older widowers (and vice versa) taking advantage of someone being lonely. It is entirely possible in this case. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Perhaps she is after his social security checks?  Ha!!

On 10/10/2023 at 2:25 PM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Finally got to see the show….

I see the final ladies as follows; Theresa, Faith, Leslie, Edith, Ellen and Nancy. 

Theresa – Dammit, she and Gerry made me cry, my tough gal rep was shattered!  She might not be the prettiest, but she has such a beautiful soul and I could see the two of them together.  Only thing that ruined it was that damned Journey song, GAH I hate that song!

Oh,,,thank you  - the Journey song!!  Talk about the most overplayed song ever!  Whenever I go karaoking and someone sings that song,   people actually get up and go outside because we are exhausted of that song.

Edited by bequialife
  • LOL 6
On 10/10/2023 at 6:16 PM, LuvMyShows said:

I called such BS on her little woe-is-me speech in the 2nd episode, when she was saying something about how everyone else is so fancy and she's just a jeans-and-tshirt kind of gal. It's such false modesty, and is actually veiled (or not so veiled) humble bragging.

Well said!  As if she is trying to say, "oh, I am such a natural gal"

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Zebopzebop said:

Regarding who Susan resembles: does she remind anyone else of Jo Anne Worley??

I’m laughing because I know exactly who you were talking about. Now Laugh-in was so long ago I remember my parents watching it and asking if I understood what they were talking about when I laughed at the jokes. I said yeah! But I had no clue what was so funny or why I was laughing at the jokes. I was only responding to the canned laughter. I suppose the jokes were considered racy for that TV era. 
I loved Flip Wilson dressed as Geraldine. Thought he was a hoot! Goldie Hawn was so goofy,  and there was that character that played a completely stinking drunk guy.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

“You’re ASKN, we’re telling.” Uh-oh, they’re giving mean girl clique vibes. But maybe that’s because Kathy is their spokesperson, and she’s been giving rude voiceovers from the start.

• Like 10

Gerry and Joan are very sweet together. It’s apparent that Gerry is very drawn to the sensitive women who have suffered loss as he has, and they have a very gentle kind of compassion and understanding with each other. The showy “sex dancers” and the like are starting to look really out of place. It’s getting a little cringey that they’re like I’ll just be louder and sexier so he’ll notice me.

Oh, no, Joan is going to leave to care for her daughter and grandchild. Gerry is going to be heartbroken. I know he has other great options, but I think this is really going to throw him off kilter for a bit. But I guess maybe it depends who this next date is with.

• Like 5

This is the 2nd woman who left for family reasons…very different than with the younger set who don’t have the same responsibilities.  

The one hour episodes just fly by.  It feels like there is so much misd8ng.  

• Like 9

Ellen is getting the princess date—look’s giving Marilyn Monroe vibes.

marilyn monroe vintage GIF

Why are we only seeing like 3 minutes of each date? Oh, drama is why. Theresa made the wrong decision confiding in Kathy of all people! Kathy seems to be the “villain” so far to me.

• Like 11

Kathy is saying [other] people are mean and Gerry says she’s a very happy and upbeat person?!?

Shocked Oh My God GIF

Gerry, noooooo! 

I knew ASKN was bad news and Kathy was the ringleader. So much for the assumption that a bunch of women in their 60s and 70s would have less drama than those in their 20s. This is all the same Wrong Reasons tattle-taling and backstabbing.

• Like 17
  • Sad 1

Kathy, remember that "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent." And dumping on someone by telling them they made you feel awful, ruined your day and then demanding that they don't cry? Manipulative. You're such a tough woman - don't pretend Teresa took your agency away! 

I love that Ellen met her husband as a 10 year-old in the Catskills.

I don't understand people who go on the Bachelor/ette and forget that they'll be one of many contestants vying for one person's attention. 

What a shame that Joan had to leave. 

Edited by archer1267
  • Like 17
  • Applause 1

Perhaps this is cynical, but I think Joan wanted to leave.     She's too young for Gerry.    Gerry is cute, but he's a cute old guy.     He seemed less dynamic tonight.    

I'm ready for some BIP tonight, gotta admit.     

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
On 10/11/2023 at 6:43 PM, dleighg said:

if that's true, that makes me really sad. He had me sold.

As disappointed as I am in James Woods, he once defended his dating 19-year-olds or thereabouts (and legal) with "Who doesn't love puppies?" and I gotta admit, I kinda got his point.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
On 10/11/2023 at 6:20 PM, dleighg said:

I have noticed that a lot of the women on the show have very smooth faces but very slumping necks and arms.

I'm not body-shaming-- just pointing out that you can't really hide your age. I think it's better to accept the wrinkles.

I agree, plus I saw lots of makeup on the face, neck and arms.  At a certain age, I think you have to give up the strapless dresses.  A little sleeve looks best.  I don’t care for Kathy or Teresa.  I like the blonde who wore the bridal dress.  She’s not a troublemaker.  I have to say that most men do not see meanness in a woman.  Women do, but not men.  Production showed lots of closeups tonight.  Lots of imperfections.  Lots of fake hair too.  I’ve never seen so much long hair on women that age.  I’ve always had long hair, but not that long.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 18