Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I said Pluto for FJ, although I was pretty sure it was discovered well before the 1970s.

I googled to check, and it was discovered in 1930. Also, the little info bar on the side of the google page calls Pluto "Our favourite dwarf planet since 2006".

Pluto was always my favourite planet. I refuse to accept its dwarf status.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I was 1, my family bought a Hudson Hornet. I loved that car. Behind the rear windows that rolled down, there were stationary window, sort of triangular shaped with rounded corners. When I lay on the shelf in front of the rear window, I could look out those windows, except Mom stuck decals of places we'd been on the windows. How well I remember Delaware Water Gap's decal. LOL

We had little triangular windows in our cars when I was little that were vents - I miss them because they were at the perfect location to get a little air on your face without getting too much breeze.

Did well in the first round, but not so much in the second. No FJ :(, but I did recognize the answer, at least.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

I stopped watching in the middle of DJ! because I hate runaway games.

We called those little windows no drafts.  Perfect for flicking your cigarette ash out of.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

We called those little windows no drafts.  Perfect for flicking your cigarette ash out of.

Yep, that's what my mom used them for. For which I've been forever grateful - cigarette smoke nauseates me.

FJ wasn't quite an instaget since I did debate between Charon and Ceres, but settled on the correct one pretty quickly.  I was amused by the coincidence of this being the FJ so soon after my birthday visit to the planetarium and a conversation with my best friend wondering why they hadn't named one of Pluto's moons Persephone or Proserpina.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

But the Hudson Hornet had immovable triangular windows at the back, too. That's the window I'm talking about.

32 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

FJ wasn't quite an instaget since I did debate between Charon and Ceres, but settled on the correct one pretty quickly.

Ceres is the name of the largest asteroid in the belt between Mars and Jupiter.  I remember this because it's so big, it's almost a world. Asimov wrote an essay about it called "The World Ceres."  He was a great one for puns.

• LOL 7
25 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Ceres is the name of the largest asteroid in the belt between Mars and Jupiter.  I remember this because it's so big, it's almost a world. Asimov wrote an essay about it called "The World Ceres."  He was a great one for puns.

Yep, he was.

I was aware of Ceres but had forgotten about it until the visit to the planetarium.  It's actually on the mug I bought in the gift shop.  And poor Pluto is just lumped in with "dwarf planets". 😪

• Like 2
(edited)

June 25:

70% / 60% / 65%

Okay first round, mediocre second. In J! I missed one in A-Tattooed, Statues & Statutes, Awards & Honors, and Sounds Like a Roman Numeral, two in Stars in the Making, and three in Won't You Be My Neighbor. In DJ I ran We Put it in Space, missed one in Literary Baddies and Come, two in British Television, three in Lamb Chops, and all five in Kingdom. Did not come up with FJ.

TSes: (J had 3 + the DD; DJ had 8) I got Elsie/LC (though I didn't grasp the category until Ken said it, I just knew the name of the Borden mascot), telegraph, excel/XL, National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration, Count Olaf, and impending.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  Ramparts was the giveaway clue for me.

I also got the TS of Elsie/LC (like @ams1001, I just knew the Borden mascot's name), telegraph, excel/XL, rose, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

• Like 3

I blame the Dali for knocking out the connections in my brain that should have connected Francis Scott Key and the Star Spangled Banner with the name of the actual fort in question. And I’ve been there! 

• Like 3

Apparently, my dislike of Drew is genetic, and lessens with each generation -- I'm annoyed by him, and found out today my mom absolutely despises him.  Heh.

The telegraph TS surprised me a bit. 

It was a rough first round for me; I ran awards and got all but Thomas in statues and all but Lorraine in neighbor, but missed three each in stars and tattoos and two in sounds like Roman numerals.

It only got worse in DJ.  I nearly blew kingdoms entirely, only getting England and Scotland.  I missed three each in literary and lamb and two in space.  I ran come and got all but the bodyguard in TV.

I did manage to get FJ, at least.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Apparently, my dislike of Drew is genetic, and lessens with each generation -- I'm annoyed by him, and found out today my mom absolutely despises him.  Heh.

The telegraph TS surprised me a bit. 

It was a rough first round for me; I ran awards and got all but Thomas in statues and all but Lorraine in neighbor, but missed three each in stars and tattoos and two in sounds like Roman numerals.

It only got worse in DJ.  I nearly blew kingdoms entirely, only getting England and Scotland.  I missed three each in literary and lamb and two in space.  I ran come and got all but the bodyguard in TV.

I did manage to get FJ, at least.

I’m a Drew lover but I’m also biased because I love Survivor too. I’m glad he made the ToC and can now relax. It’s funny how I don’t know him anymore than when he did Survivor but it’s been stressing me out. LOL!!! Now, that he won 5 games I can relax no matter the outcome now. He’s so smart. He dominated yesterday but today all 3 were meh even though he was on n the lead heading into the final. All that said, what about Drew annoys you (and, Mom) the most?

• Like 3

I've never been bothered by most of the gestures etc. as others here, but maybe it's because Drew's limbs are so long and take up so much of the screen that his talking with his hands annoys me — even though I do it too, but, unlike Drew, I have been totally flunking out of Jeopardy! lately, so I shouldn't criticize his methodology, but I do.

I felt bad for Erin on Monday. Didn't she say she was an alternate? I got the impression she didn't expect to do well.

15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But the Hudson Hornet had immovable triangular windows at the back, too. That's the window I'm talking about.

So, not this model: 
augustachronicle.com/story/lifestyle/2017/06/22/1954-hudson-hornet-was-fast-highways-and-tracks/14257318007

ghows-GA-72a1ba7a-3159-4cef-a2cc-0ce51041562f-c82f4171.jpeg?width=1320&height=620&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp
Do you know what year?

• Like 3

My goal every week is to get one FJ. I got Fort McHenry, Patapsco River and Chesapeake Bay were enough. I didn't need ramparts but that sealed it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  Ramparts was the giveaway clue for me.

Me, too.  Of course I'm a Marylander, so I'd have been run out of the state had I gotten this one wrong.

I was kinda hoping Drew would lose.  I don't hate him but I wouldn't mind seeing a new champion either.  Probably some of that is because he defeated Adriana whom I really liked.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I nearly blew kingdoms entirely, only getting England and Scotland.

I said Great Britain and Northern Ireland because to me England and Scotland don't make up the UK.  But I guess Wales and N. Ireland weren't kingdoms?  I'd say it was a poorly phrased clue but it was probably just me.

3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My goal every week is to get one FJ. I got Fort McHenry, Patapsco River and Chesapeake Bay were enough. I didn't need ramparts but that sealed it.

I got it from ramparts alone.  Didn't actually need Chesapeake Bay or Patapsco River.  The only time I think about ramparts in connection with national monuments is Fort McHenry because of the national anthem.  But the other way would've worked too.

51 minutes ago, januaryman said:

I enjoy Drew - except for the self-applause.

Maybe that's what bugs me about him.  Or maybe not.  I often can't explain why an otherwise mostly inoffensive contestant annoys me.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I said Great Britain and Northern Ireland because to me England and Scotland don't make up the UK.  But I guess Wales and N. Ireland weren't kingdoms?  I'd say it was a poorly phrased clue but it was probably just me.

Well N. Ireland was part of Ireland back then & some think it should be now, well the Catholic half of N. Ireland do.

As for Wales, we probably kept fighting the good fight against the English when the Scots gave up and joined them making the kingdom somewhat united. In all seriousness we were probably not even considered an issue being so small and unimportant at the time. 

Wales is a principality while N. Ireland is more of a captured part of an island. 

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, januaryman said:

I enjoy Drew - except for the self-applause.

And the smugness, and the chest-thumping, and the need to respond to every one of Ken's asides...just off the top of my head.

• Like 11
  • Applause 4
5 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Well N. Ireland was part of Ireland back then & some think it should be now, well the Catholic half of N. Ireland do.

As for Wales, we probably kept fighting the good fight against the English when the Scots gave up and joined them making the kingdom somewhat united. In all seriousness we were probably not even considered an issue being so small and unimportant at the time. 

Wales is a principality while N. Ireland is more of a captured part of an island. 

I know a lot of the history but the actual dates sometimes elude me.  Doesn't help that England annexed Wales in the 13th century but it didn't formally become part of Great Britain until the early 18th century.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

We have a book of Asimov's jokes. We quote some favorites when the situation warrants.

11 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I’m a Drew lover but I’m also biased because I love Survivor too.

I never watched Survivor - but I like Drew. I do see what others find annoying, but they don't bother me. He seems kind of adorkable to me. Plus (if only for the height) he reminds me of Stephen Merchant)

4 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I blurted out Joni Mitchell when I saw the picture.  Brandi Carlisle is after my time

Me too. I've seen pictures of Brandi, but she didn't look like the pictures I remember seeing.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I blurted out Joni Mitchell when I saw the picture.  Brandi Carlisle is after my time

I have heard of Brandi Carlisle and seen her on TV a couple of times but she is not instantly recognizable to me by sight (or by voice).

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I have taken against Drew so I am rooting for someone to defeat him. I try not to dwell on what irritates me about contestants because it just makes me more irritated without benefiting anyone. I was surprised however when Ken mentioned that Drew had had more correct responses in one of the recent games than any other contestant in a game this season because although I have been giving Drew grudging respect for many of his correct responses,  some of his incorrect responses have been staggeringly off-base, presumably because he is Too Young.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, ByaNose said:

All that said, what about Drew annoys you (and, Mom) the most?

She thinks he's one of the most arrogant people to ever disgrace the stage.  I don't feel that strongly about it, but dude clearly thinks very highly of himself and I do not.  He lost me in his very first game by pouting whenever he was beaten to the buzzer.  I often don't even register contestants' tics, and am rarely bothered by them when I do; I am neutral to positive on the overwhelming majority of players, and sometimes find utterly charming the ones who bother other viewers the most.  But this one just bugs me; it is what it is.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Do you know what year?

Ours was a 1950. I was never in the front seat, so I don't remember if it had vent windows up front. But, yeah, those are the rear windows I mean.

• Like 2

June 26:

67% / 57% / 61%

In J I ran They Wrote the Books, missed one in Around the World and Hats On, two in You Don't Hear as Much About, and three in Grapple Sauce and In Your Dreams. In DJ I missed one in Double Talk, two in Historic Names, From the German, and Science, and three in Ellis Island and Jazz.

Did not get FJ. This week is not looking good so far…

TSes: (J had 2; DJ had 7) I got Founding Mothers, Imhotep, and changing names at Ellis Island.

• Like 3

FJ was an instawrong. I said Tennyson very confidently thinking of the Charge of the Light Brigade. That was some bad leadership.

I got the  missed clues of mud wrestling, Bob Hope and name changes.

i got the entire categories of books, and around the world right. I would have gotten double talk, but forgot the category for the yoyo question and was wondering how I was supposed to pick a toy. LOL. 

• Like 4

Once upon a time, I wrote a paper on the poet from today's FJ, and I was able to pull his name from the deep recesses of my brain in the nick of time.  I remembered the name of the poem first.

I also got the TS of mud wrestling, Cab Calloway (thank you, Blues Brothers), Bob Hope (and now I feel old), Imhotep (thank you, Brendan Fraser), and changing names.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS of mud wrestling, Cab Calloway (thank you, Blues Brothers), Bob Hope (and now I feel old), Imhotep (thank you, Brendan Fraser), and changing names.

We're thanking the same people.

• Like 4

The show is preempted again, so another archive game for me (but, hey, Drew can't annoy me if I don't see him).  Thankfully, not being able to see the photos wasn't an issue.

I was terrible in grapple, only coming up with Greco-Roman.  But if not for that category, I'd have had a great first round, as the only others I missed were Jezebel and E.L. James.

DJ was similar -- one bad category, but an otherwise great round.  I missed three in names and two in jazz, but got all but the eye TS in Ellis Island and ran the rest.

It all came to a screeching halt in FJ, though; I had no idea.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It all came to a screeching halt in FJ, though; I had no idea.

I feel like there was a relatively recent Jeopardy clue where I finally came to grips with the subject and author of Ozymandias so I got this right away. (Annoyed by Ken asking Drew as Teacher's Pet to name Ozymandias.)

I am most proud of getting the TS of riff.

I was rooting for Maryl but she made too many mistakes late in the game and didn't get final.

• Like 2

I like Drew a lot and hope he sticks around. He’s incredibly smart and seems kinda dorky. Really not seeing this “arrogance” some people keep mentioning. 🤷‍♀️ He’s happy when he gets a DD right. Wow. So awful. 

My answer for FJ was “That guy who wrote Ozymandias!” Could not remember which poet that was.

• Like 8

FJ for me came down to "Who wrote Ozymandias?" but I remembered in time.

Re Maryl's interview, I once had the 1812 overture stuck in my head (cannons and all) and got an awful headache. I do like the piece, especially as performed by the Boston Pops, even though it has nothing to do with American independence.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

So far, this has been a very Close But No Cigar week for me. Monday, I SWAG'd Pluto (not Pluto's moon), Tuesday I got the ramparts reference but blanked on the name of the fort, Wednesday I knew the poem was Ozymandius but couldn't remember who wrote it. 

As I see it, the problem is not that I don't know the answers, it's that they're not asking the right questions.

"I'm one of the smartest people you've ever had on Survivor. Now, I don't say that to brag. I say that factually." -Drew Basile

This^^ was how Drew introduced himself on Survivor. And it pretty much sums up why I can't bring myself to really like him, although I can't say I dislike him either. Having watched all seasons of Survivor, I can attest to his statement-- he likely IS one of the smartest players ever. But if you're not bragging, why say it? And why fake-humble your statement as merely "factual"? Confidence is not a bad thing, but Drew can drift into cocky/smug territory a little too often for my taste.

I'm just waiting for Boston Rob to take his turn at the podium.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I'm just waiting for Boston Rob to take his turn at the podium.

There was a headline I saw not long ago that trumpeted the fact that if Rob won [some recent thing he was participating in] he would dethrone Jeopardy champion [Ken?] as the all-time money winner across competitive TV shows. Since I did not see any follow-up I assume the headline was outdated and/or Rob did not win. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instawrong. I said Tennyson very confidently thinking of the Charge of the Light Brigade. That was some bad leadership.

My response too. 

1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

There was a headline I saw not long ago that trumpeted the fact that if Rob won [some recent thing he was participating in] he would dethrone Jeopardy champion [Ken?] as the all-time money winner across competitive TV shows. Since I did not see any follow-up I assume the headline was outdated and/or Rob did not win. 

Boston Rob is great. He recently competed on deal or no deal island and came in third place. He’s also going to be in the third season of the traitors. He seems like a good guy and a good family man and father. Not sure how he would do on Jeopardy though

• Like 3
  • Angry 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Once upon a time, I wrote a paper on the poet from today's FJ, and I was able to pull his name from the deep recesses of my brain in the nick of time.  I remembered the name of the poem first.

I got Ozymandias right away, it's' one poem that really stuck to me, then realized I had to name the poet. I figured the rough date, and scrabbled to remember a poet of the time  (I hated my romance poetry class in college - well, I hated the misogynistic a** professor, so I've expunged details from my mind). Shelley was the only one I could come up with in the time frame, so I got it by sheer luck.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 1

I wonder if Percy Bysshe Shelley is more remembered today for his own poetry, or for being the husband of Mary Shelley, author of Frankenstein.

• Like 3

I don't watch Survivor, but from the ads for it, I am under the impression that all the contestants on that show make cocky statements for the camera, the way some athletes go around crowing about how they're hte best team and are going to win whatever game is about to happen. Am I incorrect about that? 

I do wonder if J! is now deliberately casting people from other shows, to try to get the audiences from those shows. They seem to be really concerned about getting a younger, hipper audience. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I don't watch Survivor, but from the ads for it, I am under the impression that all the contestants on that show make cocky statements for the camera, the way some athletes go around crowing about how they're hte best team and are going to win whatever game is about to happen. Am I incorrect about that? 

Yeah, I don't watch it, either, but I'd take anything said on a reality show with a grain of salt. They're still performing in some way. I always assume there's a certain amount of producer shenanigans/scripting, too.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I knew Ozymandias from Breaking Bad. That was the title of the second-to-last episode, and the only episode of TV I've ever watched where I felt like I had been physically punched in the gut. That title has stuck with me since then.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

"I'm one of the smartest people you've ever had on Survivor. Now, I don't say that to brag. I say that factually." -Drew Basile

This^^ was how Drew introduced himself on Survivor. And it pretty much sums up why I can't bring myself to really like him, although I can't say I dislike him either.

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't watch Survivor, but from the ads for it, I am under the impression that all the contestants on that show make cocky statements for the camera,

Exactly this. All the contestants have daily "confessionals", one on one with a camera person & producer, and they say all kinds of things. They get them to comment on other players, themselves, possible alliances, etc. Then when the season is done, they go thru hours of tape to find just the right quote, for just the right time. Heck, more times than not the excerpt you see being played is not even from that day.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

Okay, it's official.  I hate Drew.  I'm checking the archive before watching to make sure I don't have to see him on my tv.

FJ took a little thought but I went through my little group of early 19th century poets, came up with Shelley and thought "Oh yeah, Ozymandias!" pretty quickly.

"And on the pedestal, these words appear:

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

7 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Not Ken.  Brad is the all-time money winner on Jeopardy by around a million dollars if I remember the amount correctly.

6 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Boston Rob is great. He recently competed on deal or no deal island and came in third place. He’s also going to be in the third season of the traitors. He seems like a good guy and a good family man and father. Not sure how he would do on Jeopardy though

I hate Boston Rob and have since his first appearance on Amazing Race.  If he were on any version of Jeopardy, I would not watch.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Not Ken.  Brad is the all-time money winner on Jeopardy by around a million dollars if I remember the amount correctly.

Ken is all-time money winner in regular Jeopardy! play. Brad is all-time money winner including tournaments by $580,736. The Jeopardy! Fan keeps a list of both on his homepage.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Ken is all-time money winner in regular Jeopardy! play. Brad is all-time money winner including tournaments by $580,736. The Jeopardy! Fan keeps a list of both on his homepage.

Yes, I know, but I wouldn't describe Ken as the all-time money winner because I would include tournaments in that description.

• Like 1