Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I knew caste was the second word, but had never heard of cesta,

Same here, but I was actually quick enough to switch the vowels and guess that cesta was a word. The rest I was just kind of slow. I also got rebus but my brain was not working quickly enough to figure out the other word in time.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Mad Men introduced me to arcane terminology of jai alai. Who says TV isn’t educational? 

Jai alai is a staple of crossword puzzles.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Spoke led me to the correct response for FJ, too.

I also got the TS of totality, exit, panel/penal, caller/cellar, and Rope/repo.  

I am glad the end guy didn't win.

He reminded me of Matt Jackson. 

• Like 3
On 6/11/2024 at 3:50 PM, proserpina65 said:

I knew calcium because I have heartburn frequently enough to take a lot of Tums.

About 30 years ago, I attended a wellness lecture hosted by a female doctor (she was part of the World Health Org at the time) and perked up when she mentioned that there was a good reason to stop taking Tums. My dad ate them like candy. I wish I could remember her reasoning... sorry... however, I do remember her suggestion: use papaya enzymes. I got some for dad and he used to keep them in his shirt pocket forevermore.

Her lecture was so easy to listen to as she talked in layman's terms. The highlight of her speech was her suggestion to CHEW your food. She said we have a terrible habit of gulping down food without getting enough saliva into it for digestive purposes. Since the body's prime function is to survive - and since the main survival tactic is to get nutrition from our food - digestion is key to being healthy. Our digestive system needs those enzymes to do its job!

Papaya enzymes are easily available now and the brand I like taste a bit like Flintstones.

• Like 3
  • Useful 5
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

missed two in Rivers of Europe, Don't Want to Fight, and Gemstones,

I had a really stupid moment in Gemstones.  I was literally visualizing a lovely green emerald and yet somehow still said sapphire.  Otherwise I did fairly well.

FJ wasn't quite an instaget but the word "spoke" gave it to me pretty quickly.

I imagine Enzo couldn't help the bitchface he gave whenever he got an answer wrong, but I am so glad he did not win.  It was a little too reminiscent of Yogesh.  Plus, I really like Adriana so I wanted her to keep winning.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Connor gave me a good laugh with his story and only wanting to get on J! to apologize to Eminem.

That was pretty funny.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bliss said:

Her lecture was so easy to listen to as she talked in layman's terms. The highlight of her speech was her suggestion to CHEW your food. She said we have a terrible habit of gulping down food without getting enough saliva into it for digestive purposes. Since the body's prime function is to survive - and since the main survival tactic is to get nutrition from our food - digestion is key to being healthy. Our digestive system needs those enzymes to do its job!

Papaya enzymes are easily available now and the brand I like taste a bit like Flintstones.

Oh, I am very careful to chew my food, mainly as a method of trying to eat less overall.  I'll make note of papaya enzymes, though I'll have to talk to my doctor about them to make sure they won't interfere with any of the medication I take.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaguess based solely on the word spoke.

No instaguess here, I couldn't parse the clue for a long time - but I got the reference to wheel just before time!

17 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Darn... was rooting for the guy on the end. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm ready for Adriana to go.

I like Adriana, but I'm also ready for her to go and will see her in the TOC. I think I've lost the taste for long term champions.

1 hour ago, Bliss said:

I don't practice it as much as I should, but when my digestion is acting up, I do carefully chew everything. And I always take a long time on the yummy things like ice cream - it'll take me nearly half an hour to eat one of those little individual Ben & Jerry's.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

I loved Ken's pronunciation of "despicable".

I was hoping the contestant would pronounce it "dethpicable" but he didn't, so I was glad Ken did.

• Like 6

I wondered if Enzo was on the spectrum. I think Adrianna is great and don't want her to go I'd rather see a long running champion than many one and done ones.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1

After Ken said, "Only _____ contestants have ever had ten or more wins," I gave him a bonus point for not adding, "And two of us are on this stage."

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

I said  Catcher in th eRye.

I got the missed clues of Santa Fe, St. Joseph, Elizabeth Barrett, comic strip and Rumsfeld.

I got the entire category of biographies wrong.  I like biographies. But, apparently not award winning ones.

• Like 3

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  It probably helps that I read a brief interview with Malcolm McDowell recently, wherein he spoke about that last chapter.

I also got the TS of St. Joseph, St. Louis, Fortunate Son, and Rumsfeld.  I almost had comic strip -- I said it at the same time Ken did.

• Like 3

June 13:

63% / 53% / 59%

Not a great game today. Ran 19th Century Newspapers, missed one in Vegas Residencies and Rhyme Time, two in Poetry (including the Kipling poem that I had to memorize in 5th grade), three in From A to Z and four in Saintly US Cities. In DJ I missed one in Competitors and Science for "U", two in Film Debuts and Foreign Words & Phrases, three in Secretaries of Defense, and all five in Biographies. FJ was not an instaget but I got it in plenty of time.

TSes: (J had 9 + the DD; DJ had 6 + 1 DD) I got comic strip, St. Louis, cheese expertise, and Leon Panetta.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Bliss said:

This made me smile because it reminded me of my dad. I honestly don't know if he was aware of the science behind it. He always said he learned this while he was in the Army during WWII, but when I was a kid he'd always tell me that I didn't chew my food enough. (Who wants to spend extra time at the dinner table when you can hear your friends back outside playing already?) Dad always said the proper way was to chew each mouthful 28 times!

Reading your post, I can hear him saying, "I told you so!" 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Preempted again, so another archive game for me.

No one guessing Browning for sonnets surprised me.  Or an aircraft carrier for a Navy ship.

I was off my game - again - in the first round.  I only ran Rhyme Time.  I got all but Austerlitz in A-Z and all but Silk Sonic in Vegas, but I missed two each in the rest.

But I was on fire in DJ, only missing two in the entire round -- Shifu and Hailee Steinfeld (no, seeing her picture wouldn't have helped; I've come across the name, but have no idea who she is).

I did not get FJ, though.  I'm the same with the book as I am with Hailee Steinfeld; I know it exists, but nothing beyond that.

• Like 4

In the 1980s, for a few years I lived in a town called "Austerlitz" (in upstate New York). It really wasn't a town. It was basically wilderness. We lived in a cabin in the woods where you had to snowshoe in during the winter. I always thought the name "Austerlitz" was more name than it warranted, and wondered how it came to be called that.

I've gone soft, because I'm liking all the contestants lately. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Sonnets? Not Emily Dickinson. Unless you can sing a sonnet to "Yellow Rose of Texas" or the "Gilligan's Island" theme song.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

I pre-guessed A Clockwork Orange as soon as I saw the category.  It's the novel I always think of when I think of 1960s British literature.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of Santa Fe, St. Joseph, Elizabeth Barrett, comic strip and Rumsfeld.

I said cartoon instead of comic strip but got the others.  Was surprised to pull Donald Rumsfeld out of my brain.  Female poet + sonnets is always Elizabeth Barrett Browning.  Always.

Otherwise the game was something of a mixed bag for me.  I did almost run Feature Film Debuts and was amused to see Alan Rickman there, as an homage to Die Hard was featured in a show I watched earlier in the week.  My only miss was Hailee Steinfeld - I said Hailee Stein-something.  Since they accepted Zhedong for Mao, they should've accepted Hailee for Steinfeld, imo.  (Yeah, I know, but that still bugs me.)

• Like 4
15 hours ago, ProudMary said:

This made me smile because it reminded me of my dad. I honestly don't know if he was aware of the science behind it. He always said he learned this while he was in the Army during WWII, but when I was a kid he'd always tell me that I didn't chew my food enough. (Who wants to spend extra time at the dinner table when you can hear your friends back outside playing already?) Dad always said the proper way was to chew each mouthful 28 times!

Reading your post, I can hear him saying, "I told you so!" 

I always heard 32 times, but I don't know who told me that.

Got Clockwork Orange despite only being aware it existed (never saw, nor wanted to see the movie), and for some reason "thug" took me to it.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Got Clockwork Orange despite only being aware it existed (never saw, nor wanted to see the movie), and for some reason "thug" took me to it.

I have also never seen or read A Clockwork Orange and have no desire to.  "Thug" took me to Lord of the Flies, just a few years off. And wrong.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Trey said:

I have also never seen or read A Clockwork Orange and have no desire to. 

Many years ago, I had a bit of a thing for Malcolm McDowell.  Probably when Time After Time came out.  So I was interested in seeing A Clockwork Orange.  A friend who'd seen it convinced me not to, and I'm very glad she did.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Trey said:

"Thug" took me to Lord of the Flies, just a few years off. And wrong.

Me, too.

I loved the movie of A Clockwork Orange, mainly because of the soundtrack.  But then, in those days, I even like Sam Peckinpah movies. Apparently, the Ultra-Violence appealed to me in my younger days.  Nowadays, I can't stand it.

• Like 4

I saw A Clockwork Orange twice, back in my college years.  I was a little on the drunk side the second time.  It's an amazing film.  The story/premise is really good.  The violence is over-the-top, almost cartoony in a Quentin Tarantino sort of way -- I suspect Tarantino got at least some inspiration from the film. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I did almost run Feature Film Debuts and was amused to see Alan Rickman there, as an homage to Die Hard was featured in a show I watched earlier in the week. 

Harry Wild?

"Thug" led me to A Clockwork Orange. I did think of Lord of the Flies but only because it comes up so often.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 3

June 14:

67% / 60% / 62%

Meh game to end the week. Ran That's a Fact, missed one in Jen, two in 1824, Setting Pretty, and Tonic, and three in Rhyming Phrases. In DJ I missed one in Scotland and American Poets, two in Foreign Words & Phrases and Parasites, and three in Till Death Do Us Part and Billboard Hot 100.

No FJ.

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 6 + 1 DD) I got Beethoven, salud (DD), and Angus.

• Like 1

I got FJ.

I got the missed clues of Beethoven (after Mozart), tick and angus.

I got the entire category of Scotland right.

• Like 3

I did not get FJ tonight.  But I did get the TS of Pensacola & St. Augustine, apparatchik (no idea how I pulled that out of my brain), salud, ticks, and Angus.

• Like 3
(edited)

“This man, who died in 1926..”

”Who is Truman?”

😬 Have you never heard of a little thing called the atomic bomb!? WWII? 1926!? 🤦‍♀️

Another super easy FJ. All five of them this week have been instagets.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2

I usually enjoy long-running champs and Adriana is a "pleasant" one. I like her calm demeanour, and her lack of any annoying buzzer killing antics. I especially like her voice which doesn't have the vocal fry some contestants exhibit. Not naming names, but last night I was hoping one person would NOT win (so I didn't have to listen to her voice again).

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
17 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I usually enjoy long-running champs and Adriana is a "pleasant" one. I like her calm demeanour, and her lack of any annoying buzzer killing antics.

I enjoy her too but one thing is starting to become noticeable, not quite annoying but noticeable. She nods her head when she gets a clue correct, like she's saying, yes I thought so. Again, not really annoying just one of those things that after you notice it once, you notice it all the time. I think Amy does the same sometimes.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Have you never heard of a little thing called the atomic bomb!? WWII? 1926!?

I thought the same thing!  I recently began reading The Accidental President, which covers the 4 months from when Truman became president and the historical months that followed.  Lots of interesting biographical tidbits about how his life up until the time he became vice president just before Roosevelt died.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I watched with friends, and "Bess" made us all immediately say "Truman" -- and then we all immediately caught ourselves and said some variation on the year meaning that was very much not it.  But none of us could come up with another famous spouse named Bess.

We were all terrible in the music category; we all got Barenaked Ladies and I got Kesha (but had no idea she's no longer Ke$ha) and the rest - crickets.

I'm sure the neighbors wondered why people were yelling "Salud!" at increasing volume during the missed DD.

We noted if Adriana's run had come to an end, this would have been a good game to go out in, but we're glad she's still around.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

I had no idea what Houdini’s wife’s name was, but the story of trying to contact him after his death is famous as is that he died on Halloween so I knew that immediately. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
23 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I had no idea what Houdini’s wife’s name was, but the story of trying to contact him after his death is famous as is that he died on Halloween so I knew that immediately. 

I remembered the story but only after I saw the answer. Which didn't help me.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 6/14/2024 at 11:52 AM, Browncoat said:

I saw A Clockwork Orange twice, back in my college years.  I was a little on the drunk side the second time.  It's an amazing film.  The story/premise is really good.  The violence is over-the-top, almost cartoony in a Quentin Tarantino sort of way -- I suspect Tarantino got at least some inspiration from the film. 

Not a Tarantino fan either - but it does sound like an auteur Tarantino might get inspiration from.

7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

”Who is Truman?”

😬 Have you never heard of a little thing called the atomic bomb!? WWII? 1926!? 🤦‍♀️

That was a stunner, but the more I think about it - I think it could be that the brain switched "died" with "born" (it's happened to me). Still incorrect, but who knows. My brain still has trouble distinguishing between Pollock and Calder, who couldn't be more different.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I remembered the story but only after I saw the answer. Which didn't help me.

Abandoned funeral home in Detroit where Houdini was embalmedCass-Corridor-and-canfield_6506.thumb.jpg.5b9afd2fbe0790328f30c7c4709041b4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 6/14/2024 at 6:18 PM, ABay said:

Harry Wild?

Yep, loved it.

On 6/15/2024 at 10:29 AM, Cotypubby said:

”Who is Truman?”

Another super easy FJ. All five of them this week have been instagets.

I said Truman because of Bess but to be honest, I missed the year.

On 6/15/2024 at 10:29 AM, Cotypubby said:

Another super easy FJ.

I thought it was very difficult.  I didn't have a clue for the answer.

• Like 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought it was very difficult.  I didn't have a clue for the answer.

Another Easy If You Know It. I happened to know it because If read a lot about it - but there are plenty that others find easy and I don't.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3

June 17:

63% / 39% / 51%

Wow, what a terrible way to start the week. In J I missed one in Candy and "Last" Shall Be First, two in Bon Jovi, Religion, and Human Race, and three in State Songs.

DJ was just sad. Missed one in Scientists, two in Labor Unions and Book Sequels, and four in History, Instrument Rhyme Time, and Humans Race.

Had no clue for FJ. Could not even come up with any movies with names in the title.

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 10 + 2 leftover clues) I got mezuzah, Ming, and dialysis.

• Like 3

every time I tried to think of a '90s  movie with a person's name in it all I c ould come up with was Saving Private Ryan. So, needless to say, I didn't get it.

I got the missed clues of Vedas and Ming (mostly because that's my go-to Chinese Dynasty).

I got the entire partial category of scientists wrong.

I had a terrible DJ.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Katy M said:

every time I tried to think of a '90s  movie with a person's name in it all I c ould come up with was Saving Private Ryan. So, needless to say, I didn't get it.

I kept coming up with "Amadeus"---not even the right decade (1984 movie)!

• Like 6

I couldn't come up with any movies with names in them, either, but it was so obvious when the correct response was revealed!

But I got the TS of On Wisconsin, mezuzah, real glockenspiel (although if I'd had to spell that, I would have been in trouble), Joiners, and dialysis.

• Like 3

I knew the TS of speech and writing. For FJ I was stuck on Queen Elizabeth.  Unfortunately, it did not lead me to Shakespeare.

These close games are much more fun than runaways.

• Like 3

Pre-empted again, so an archive game for me tonight.  I either didn't need to see the photos or they wouldn't have helped me, so I didn't have to decide whether to give myself credit for anything based on confidence I'd have known had I seen the picture.

I missed three in religion (shocking, I know) and two in human race, but otherwise had an okay first round -- I ran Bon Jovi and last, and got all but "On, Wisconsin" in songs (I knew that was the state, but not the title of the song) and all but Bit-o-Honey in candy (I could vaguely picture the wrapper, and knew it was something about honey, but that's as far as I got).

DJ was also rather so-so; I didn't run a damn thing.  I got all but the Joiners TS in labor unions, as that remained on the tip of my tongue but never actually left my mouth, but that's as good as it got.  I missed two each in everything else.

At first my mind went blank for FJ, but then Schindler came to me pretty quickly.  Trying to think of another S name took longer for Shakespeare to join him, but I got it in plenty of time.

• Like 2