Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I said FAulkner and almost changed my answer to Robert Frost.  But, I learned my lesson from yesterday.

I got the missed clues of of Gibralar, chattel, terms of Endearment, GHWB and sum.

I got the entire categories of potpourri and legalese right.  I would have gotten love, but I said love canal instead of tunnel of love.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

I said Steinbeck for FJ, because I know how much this show loves Steinbeck, even though I knew it was not correct.  Probably should have paid more attention to the date.

The only TS I got were Southern Christian Leadership Conference, GHWB, and sum.  I'm kind of amazed I got a math question right!

Here's hoping for a better game tomorrow to end the week!

• Like 4

I was happy enough with the outcome, especially since winner Jen Jazwinski is a youth services librarian from Algonquin, Illinois, which is near where I was a librarian, but especially when she appeared to hear my "defamation!" in time via a wormhole to nail her DD. 

Like others, my FJs are 0 for 4.
But I have a terrific excuse for tonight:

Jeopardy was postponed until 1:37am, so I watched on the tube of you, with good video quality until a brief phone ringing midway.
But then:
They deleted the time between reading the FJ clue and giving the FJ answer.
And I'd had my finger over the pause button, but didn't. (Rats!)

I blurted out Steinbeck just to say something, but knew that was not correct given he was part of Monday's FJ.
I have read most of Faulkner, but never studied him in school, so probably I would not have gotten it with all of the think music time in the world.

And even if I'd read a Wikipedia article about Faulkner last year (hrm...did I?) I likely would not have said Faulkner in normal FJ think time, since there had already been several tip-of-the-tongue misses for me during the show, like TSs Dürer, "cattle? no…," and only getting out "Southern Christian Lea…."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 2
On 11/8/2023 at 7:10 PM, illdoc said:

I knew the phrase they referenced, but couldn't make the Kirk <--> Cook leap.

I also understood that they were referencing the opening of Star Trek, and also couldn't make the leap from Kirk to Cook.

However, by happy accident, my default explorer to guess when I don't know the answer is James Cook, who I did a project on in the third grade but don't actually remember much about.

So, that is how I stumbled onto my (so far) only correct FJ this week.

• Applause 9
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I said Steinbeck for FJ, because I know how much this show loves Steinbeck, even though I knew it was not correct.  Probably should have paid more attention to the date.

I started with Steinbeck but switched to Faulkner because his region seemed more specifically limited.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

These episodes filmed while the writers were picketing (so, using recycled clues) run out 12/18.  Per a TVLine article posted in the Media thread last month when the writers went back to work:

Then, beginning Tuesday, Dec. 19 (or the week of Jan. 1, if the show chooses to fill 2023’s remaining days with reruns), the Season 39 “postseason” — which, pre-strike, was intended to kick off Season 40 — will begin. At that point, viewers will see new WGA-written clues, essentially returning the show to normal. (Reminder: The postseason is comprised of Season 39 Second Chance, Season 39 Champions Wildcard and the Tournament of Champions.)

I honestly don't understand what the writer's strike has to do with using former champions.  Couldn't they use new contestants?  Or is it to get more contestants for the TOC?  I just don't understand. 

1 hour ago, labresq said:

I honestly don't understand what the writer's strike has to do with using former champions.  Couldn't they use new contestants?  Or is it to get more contestants for the TOC?  I just don't understand. 

Most of the ToC contestants said a hearty hell no to filming while the WGA was on strike.  So producers could either just air re-runs (which is all they should have done, and why I'm not watching anything filmed during this strike-breaking effort) or enrich themselves with new episode ad money while using recycled clues that pay credited writers residual, not first run, fees and screw over the rest of the writers room entirely; they thought going back a season for another Second Chance Tournament - "new" episodes but with old contestants - was their best bet and those contestants went along, thus this extended tournament.  We're still quite a ways off from seeing new contestants, but at least we'll get the ToC in the interim.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

A lucky guess (assisted by the word “regional”) led me to Faulkner, so I just sold my donut futures. I am currently stocking up on breadsticks as a precaution.

Noooooo! The holidays are coming and I could use some Bavarian Cream bismarcks. Or swap them for cookie futures - there can never be too many Christmas cookies. 🍪 

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

Noooooo! The holidays are coming and I could use some Bavarian Cream bismarcks. Or swap them for cookie futures - there can never be too many Christmas cookies. 🍪 

Well, I was thinking of breadsticks because they are shaped like a number one. Would you settle for an eclair? Maybe a ladyfinger?  (Although if I get tomorrow’s FJ, that creates a whole new challenge. 😉

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Datewise, Steinbeck wasn't a bad answer. He wrote East of Eden in 1952.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

I have nothing to contribute regarding the questions or answers, but on a very shallow note, I want to say how much I loved the jacket that Matt was wearing.  It looked like maroon velvet.  I think I remember him wearing it the first time he appeared, but I may be misremembering.

• Like 6

Only two ts's or missed DDs for me: chattels and Dürer.

For some reason Faulkner popped into my mind immediately.  I think it was the regional thing, since I know he wrote about the south.

I was a little worried for Jen when she won.  I thought she might pass out from excitement.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Well, I was thinking of breadsticks because they are shaped like a number one. Would you settle for an eclair? Maybe a ladyfinger?  (Although if I get tomorrow’s FJ, that creates a whole new challenge. 😉

How about a long john with chocolate frosting? And 2 of them if you get FJ today?

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I have read most of Faulkner, but never studied him in school, so probably I would not have gotten it with all of the think music time in the world

Wow, I'm impressed that you read Faulkner without being forced to. Nothing against Faulkner, I read him as a lit major and liked his books, but he's not exactly the easiest read. We once asked our professor "so, if Faulkner turned in a paper, how would you grade him?" She hesitated, then said she hoped she would have recognized his genius!🤣

I finally got an FJ this week - so I won't have 0 FJs two weeks in a row (yet). whenever they say "regional" I always think southern (no offense, rest of the United States), I said Faulkner, but wavered with Tennessee Williams (since I had no idea, or didn't remember, Faulkner had an Nobel prize)

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, laredhead said:

I have nothing to contribute regarding the questions or answers, but on a very shallow note, I want to say how much I loved the jacket that Matt was wearing.  It looked like maroon velvet.  I think I remember him wearing it the first time he appeared, but I may be misremembering.

Oh yeah, jacket and wearer are nice looking.  Are there dates for the ToC?  I’m choosing to ignore that this is the second chance championship (or whatever it’s called).  I think of these as new games.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

We could use Roman numerals, because there are sometimes questions about those.  Breadsticks work until you're close to 100; then that doughnut (with a bite out of it) would work.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald 

Don't forget to sing today! 

Oh my... Gordon Lightfoot is (was?) known to me - I wouldn't stretch it to "friend", but we've hugged! Many moons ago. His nephew is equally talented and he performed at one of the best-ever dances I've attended in my life. I've been known to blow Gordon's statue a kiss when I power walk past it in the park. Here, in our 'town' of his birth/death, he's a valued memory, warts and all. My niece puppysits his grandpuppy. Small world, sometimes. One last nugget: our town honoured Gordon this summer by having painted guitars throughout the streets... our artists took on the challenge as they do each year (one year was doors, another chairs, another boats, etc.) and the results draw tourists from far away. Goldie Hawn cottages not too far away and she made an appearance to witness the Gordon legacies. Wish I knew how to imbed a photo and I'd insert the Edmund Fitzgerald guitar.

Coming back to topics at hand... I'm finding by having no expectations, I'm thoroughly enjoying the tournament shows. The games are fun and Ken continues to win my admiration for his hosting duties. He's quick with those adlibs!

• Like 10
  • Love 3

November 10:

77% / 70% / 74%

Much better game tonight! In J! I ran Where's That? and Greens, missed one in Designers and Internal Rhymes, two in Multiply by the Clue's Value, and three in Golf. In DJ I ran Typing Test, missed one in Sound the Trumpet and Drop a Letter, two in Ships and Literary Email Addresses, and three in Those Darn Etruscans. Even got all three DDs.

FJ was an instaget! Thank dog I didn't blow the whole week!

TSes: (J had 2 + the DD; DJ had 3) I got chlorine (DD), submarine, and Randall McMurphy.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of chlorine, double eagle, submarine (after uboat) and Herodotus (wild guess).

I got the entire categories of where's that, greens, etruscans and typing right.

I had an OK first round, but a great (for me) DJ.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Decent game to end the week - not great, but not too bad either.

In the J round I got 4 in "Where's That?", "Multiply by the Clue's Value" and "Greens" and the TS of double eagle. In DJ I got 4 in "Ships", "Typing Test" and "Drop a Letter" and the TS of submarine.

When I saw the category of "The Catholic Church" for FJ, I thought "great, it'll be something I'll get wrong and be embarrassed since I'm a lifelong Catholic". But no - once I really looked at the clue Joan of Arc came to me right away for a nice end to the week.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

Interesting that they would have accepted just Joan or Jeanne, although I guess surnames weren’t used in the 15th Century. Still I would have thought that “of Arc” or “d’Arc” would have been required. 

On a shallow note, I loved Ken’s silver tie today. Very elegant!

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Like 8

I think Marmee vs Mommy is a bit vexed because I know I have recently read some discussion about how probably the accent was non-rhotic and Alcott's pronunciation would have essentially rendered it as Mommy. But then I also thought that I heard Dennis say Jossarian rather than Yossarian, so maybe that is a wash. (Unless the J pronunciation is valid which I didn't expect with the Y spelling.)

I enjoyed the literary email address less than I wanted to since there was no reason to use the email address format and the elements were put together in a fairly clunky way.  

4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Herodotus (wild guess).

I somehow skipped half of DJ without realizing it until I  saw that there had been Herodotus which I was sure I would have noticed. I hope that Halicarnassus would have tipped me off.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

funny how just reading the words, "Edmund Fitzgerald" puts that song in my head.  Where it will not leave.  Ever.

It was a story on the news this morning, with the bell being rung at the Mariners Church in Detroit 

"The church bell chimed 'til it rang twenty-nine times
For each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald"

So yeah. It's definitely an earworm this time of year 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Not too good a game for me. My only ts was double eagle.

For FJ I saw a date in 1400s, mother Isabelle and blurted out Catherine of Aragon.  The rest of the clue didn't really connect to her of course but it was too late, my mind was fixed and Joan of Arc didn't occur to me.  Besides, I have never heard of her mother working to clear her name so I'll have to look that up.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Trey said:

For FJ I saw a date in 1400s, mother Isabelle and blurted out Catherine of Aragon.  The rest of the clue didn't really connect to her of course but it was too late, my mind was fixed and Joan of Arc didn't occur to me.  Besides, I have never heard of her mother working to clear her name so I'll have to look that up.

That was who I said!  I was thinking of Marriage annulment, and wasnt Catherine's mother Queen Isabella?

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

That was who I said!  I was thinking of Marriage annulment, and wasnt Catherine's mother Queen Isabella?

Yes, Queen Isabella of Castile who, along with her husband Ferdinand of Aragon, financed Columbus' expeditions and helped start the Spanish Inquisition.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Yes, Queen Isabella of Castile who, along with her husband Ferdinand of Aragon, financed Columbus' expeditions and helped start the Spanish Inquisition.

I once worked with a woman who said when she was in school, the teacher asked, "What happened in 1492?" and Rita answered, "The Jews were kicked out of Spain."  Technically, correct, but not what the teacher was going for.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Trey said:

6 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who said Catherine of Aragon. My husband said - that young girl. 😅

Add my name to the Catherine of Aragon parade, but I knew right away I was wrong as Henry VIII divorced her, (not beheaded her!) and the clue hinted that she had received a death sentence. Once in my head, I was stuck on Catherine and couldn't come up with an alternative. 🤷‍♀️

Also, I had no idea that Cicely Tyson was once married to Miles Davis! I got the correct response just from the album titles in the clue, but I'm not usually surprised by a pop culture reference. That's normally right in my wheelhouse. Thanks for that tidbit of trivia, Jeopardy!

• Like 4

My mind went to Henry VIII wives, too, but I wild-ass-guessed Anne Boleyn. Of course, Joan of Arc was obvious once it was revealed. (Don’t you just hate that?)

On 11/10/2023 at 4:45 PM, Bliss said:

Wish I knew how to imbed a photo

At the bottom of the dialogue box where you’re typing your comment, click on the “Add Files” button. Then click on “photo library” and it should bring up thumbnails of the photos stored on your device. Click on the picture you want to upload, then click “add”. The picture will appear in a little box below your comment. Click “done”, beneath the picture, then the word “insert” should appear. Click on “insert”, and the picture will appear in your post. (Note: there is a file size limit of 1MB for pictures, and many of the ones I take with my phone exceed that. So if it says the file is too big, you will have to use photo editing software to make the pictures smaller, or save a copy with less resolution.) Hope that helps and isn’t too confusing.

• Thanks 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

My mind went to Henry VIII wives, too, but I wild-ass-guessed Anne Boleyn. Of course, Joan of Arc was obvious once it was revealed. (Don’t you just hate that?)

Exactly my thought process! 

2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

At the bottom of the dialogue box where you’re typing your comment, click on the “Add Files” button. Then click on “photo library” and it should bring up thumbnails of the photos stored on your device. Click on the picture you want to upload, then click “add”. The picture will appear in a little box below your comment. Click “done”, beneath the picture, then the word “insert” should appear. Click on “insert”, and the picture will appear in your post. (Note: there is a file size limit of 1MB for pictures, and many of the ones I take with my phone exceed that. So if it says the file is too big, you will have to use photo editing software to make the pictures smaller, or save a copy with less resolution.) Hope that helps and isn’t too confusing.

And then if you want to make it not obnoxiously huge, click/tap on the image after you get it into the post, and you will see something like:

Screenshot2023-11-12at1_51_00AM.thumb.png.100970b3b17b094e4d61d459d00acb2f.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

So so start to the week. In the J round I ran "Songs in Musicals" and got the TS of writer's cramp. In DJ I got 4 in "Who's Line Is It Anyway?", "Say Cheese!" and "From the Italian". Two TSs - Greece and confetti.

Did get FJ today, albeit at the last second. "Georgia green" had me focused peaches, but I finally thought Atlanta which got me to Coca Cola. Probably didn't hurt that I've been to the World of Coca Cola attraction back in the day.

• Like 2

November 13:

83% / 60% / 72%

Pretty good start to the week...in J! I ran Dogs & Cats Living Together and missed one each in everything else. Not so great in the second round, of course. Because why would I have a whole great game? Missed one in Life Science, three in Whose Line is it Anyway?, and two each in everything else.

FJ was not quite an instaget but once I registered that "Georgia" was the key I got it right away. (Something that comes in bottles + Georgia=Atlanta and then it was obvious.) 

TSes: (J! had 2, DJ had 4) I got writers' cramp, hemoglobin, and Greece.

After his story about his original J! mishaps, I couldn't help but root for Stuart. Plus he's cute. I like Fred okay but he's kinda loud. I enjoyed Emily's variations on Sam's "Bring It!"

• Like 5

I said Bird's Eye.  I was trying to think of a product that was green to go in the green glass.  

I got the missed clue of Greece.

I got the entire category of songs from musicals of all things right.

• Like 4

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  

The only TS I got were fruit and hemoglobin.

I liked Fred's red shirt and matching pocket square.

24 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I enjoyed Emily's variations on Sam's "Bring It!"

Me, too.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

After his story about his original J! mishaps, I couldn't help but root for Stuart. Plus he's cute. I like Fred okay but he's kinda loud. I enjoyed Emily's variations on Sam's "Bring It!"

Maybe I’m just in a good mood this evening but I can’t recall a game recently where I was rooting so much for all the players and hoping somehow for a 3-way tie where they could all win.  

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

FJ was not quite an instaget but once I registered that "Georgia" was the key I got it right away. (Something that comes in bottles + Georgia=Atlanta and then it was obvious.)

See, had the clue actually said that it came in a bottle, I might have got there. However, I was thinking of an object packaged in glass and trying to figure out why or what the reason might be. Clearly not firing on all cylinders tonight.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, secnarf said:

See, had the clue actually said that it came in a bottle, I might have got there. However, I was thinking of an object packaged in glass and trying to figure out why or what the reason might be. Clearly not firing on all cylinders tonight.

I just assumed glass packaging = bottles. Though my first thought was a beer bottle until "Georgia green" clicked and my brain went to Atlanta.

• Like 2
Just now, ams1001 said:

I just assumed glass packaging = bottles. Though my first thought was a beer bottle until "Georgia green" clicked and my brain went to Atlanta.

I don't really consider bottles to be packaging - it's a vessel. So, that the "object" may be liquid didn't occur to me. It isn't wrong, it's just that my brain went off in the complete opposite direction.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, secnarf said:

See, had the clue actually said that it came in a bottle, I might have got there.

I initially missed that the green glass was not the "flagship product."
So I went from Tiffany to Corning before I got to 7-Up, and then thought:
"7-Up? Nah…"
and then did picture Coca Cola, but rejected it because I couldn't see a green bottle in my mind.
And then the think music stopped. 

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I like Fred okay but he's kinda loud.

Fred's voice is not just loud, it's, well, it's not mellifluous. 
But he deserved to win. At one point when he was rolling through the clues, I had a Matt Amodio flashback.
And it's nice to see another oldster continuing in the competition. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5

I really liked Stuart and am sad that we won’t be getting any more of his offbeat charm.

I had a really good game today, ran a few categories, and then there was FJ. If I ever knew that coke once came in green bottles, I didn’t remember it. The only thing I could think of, although it matched virtually nothing else in the clue, was Heineken beer.  I know.

• Like 3