Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

United Negro College Fund.  I should have gotten CERN, but it didn't make it from my brain to my mouth in time.

I shouted out "a mind is a terrible thing to waste!" but I couldn't remember the name. And I thought of CERN but dismissed it as being for the large Hadron collider, not thinking it had other uses.

• Like 5
(edited)

I said Rogers Brothers solely because they made my Nana's silverplate cutlery.

ETA: I used the archive for yesterday's game. I am gobsmacked that I got Toshiro Mifune.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
42 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I shouted out "a mind is a terrible thing to waste!" but I couldn't remember the name. And I thought of CERN but dismissed it as being for the large Hadron collider, not thinking it had other uses.

My first thought was NAACP and then my brain quickly reset and realized the clue was specifically referencing colleges.

CERN = Conseil européen pour la Recherche nucléaire, or The European Organization for Nuclear Research; an intergovernmental organization that operates the largest particle physics laboratory in the world.

CERN's main function is to provide the particle accelerators and other infrastructure needed for high-energy physics research – consequently, numerous experiments have been constructed at CERN through international collaborations. CERN is the site of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the world's largest and highest-energy particle collider. The main site at Meyrin hosts a large computing facility, which is primarily used to store and analyze data from experiments, as well as simulate events. As researchers require remote access to these facilities, the lab has historically been a major wide area network hub. CERN is also the birthplace of the World Wide Web.

So we can all thank CERN for our being here today to discuss Jeopardy!

• Like 4
(edited)
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I should have gotten CERN, but it didn't make it from my brain to my mouth in time.

Same. So close.
Like I could almost see it: 𝒞乇𝓻ภ

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My first thought was NAACP and then my brain quickly reset and realized the clue was specifically referencing colleges

Oh, I immediately recognized the names of the 2 HBCs. But United Negro College Fund is not something I “know.” 
I feel kind of embarrassed to have gone with NAACP.

Nam’s “UNICEF” response may have been equally embarrassing, but I think I figured out how he got there:

• The clue began with “This organization was founded 80 years ago….”
    UNICEF was founded close to 80 years ago in 1946 (whereas the NAACP was founded in 1909, or 115 years ago).

• And the “U” in UNICEF is for “United.” 

• And: UNCF is almost UNICEF

I wonder if “United Negro College Fund” would have come to him eventually — like me with many of the clues.
Well. I’d probably have to Google most of them.🙃

Thanks to Antiques Roadshow, I instagot the FJ of Tiffany. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I said Rogers Brothers solely because they made my Nana's silverplate cutlery.

My first thought was also Rogers Brothers but I quickly switched to Wells Fargo.  Tiffany never crossed my mind.

• Like 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Add me to the Wells Fargo list.  Jewelry didn't occur to me, either.

.....I should have gotten CERN, but it didn't make it from my brain to my mouth in time.

My first thought was Wells Fargo, then I went with Tiffany, which I thought was very, very wrong. It was a nice surprise.

Same here regarding CERN. As someone who worked in tech my entire career (and was working when the first emails started - I'm THAT old), I hang my head in shame.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Add me to the Wells Fargo list.  Jewelry didn't occur to me, either.

I said Standard Oil only because standard was in the clue.  Oh well.

Okay, yes, Nam was incredibly annoying in his intro.  Glad Mark won.

• Like 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I did get UNCF but did the same thing you did with CERN.

13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

ETA: I used the archive for yesterday's game. I am gobsmacked that I got Toshiro Mifune.

My dad used to have some sort of obsession with Toshiro Mifune.  Not sure why, as he didn't watch foreign films, but I guess the actor was in a WWII movie he saw.  Dad loved his WWII movies.  (Edited to note: Some googling gave me Hell in the Pacific with Lee Marvin - that had to be it.)

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But United Negro College Fund is not something I “know.” 

I remembered the commercials I used to see for it, with the aforementioned "A mind is a terrible thing to waste" as the tagline.  That's how I knew it.  I also remember this infamous Vice Presidential moment:

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."
(Vice President Dan Quayle - this was part of his address to the United Negro College Fund, whose slogan is "a mind is a terrible thing to waste")"

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Anything I know about CERN I learned from The Big Bang Theory! 😆

Me too.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 2

My immediate thought for FJ was Tiffany as silver is what they're known for but then I thought that would be too easy for a FJ and why would a retail outlet be allowed to set a standard so I spent all the time allowed trying to second guess myself but as I couldn't come up with anything else went with it thinking only I would know how crazy my answer was.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Shrek said:

My immediate thought for FJ was Tiffany as silver is what they're known for but then I thought that would be too easy for a FJ and why would a retail outlet be allowed to set a standard so I spent all the time allowed trying to second guess myself but as I couldn't come up with anything else went with it thinking only I would know how crazy my answer was.

This is what The Jeopardy Fan! had to say:

Because pure silver is generally seen as too soft for modern use, it is usually alloyed with other metals, generally copper, in order to increase its strength. This became known as “sterling silver”; the true etymology of “sterling” is still debated. As a way of ensuring the quality of sterling silver, the English legally required 12 troy ounces of sterling silver to contain 11oz, 2.25dwt of pure silver and 17.75dwt of alloyed metal—approximately 92.6% silver. This later moved to an alloy of 92.5% silver, and in 1851, Tiffany & Co. signed an agreement with New York silversmith John C. Moore to create silverware pieces. As part of that agreement, Moore used the English sterling silver standard, which was later adopted throughout the United States for sterling silver.

FJ explanation

• Useful 7

I immediately thought of Tiffany, and immediately rejected it as absurd. 

Also, I did so well in the math category that for the first time in my life I felt good at math. And that is really absurd.

Surprise ending with the 3rd place person taking the win. I liked that he said he and his spouse would be happy whatever happened with their respective dreams. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I wasn't home last night, so just checked the archive and only had an okay game, but I did get most of the TS and the missed DD of United Negro College Fund, and FJ was an instaguess I figured was correct, so that was nice.

• Applause 1

The stream I watched removed the counting music so I didn't even have time to finish reading the question before answers were revealed.

• Sad 2
8 minutes ago, ABay said:

The stream I watched removed the counting music so I didn't even have time to finish reading the question before answers were revealed.

That happened to me a few times in the last 6 months or so on the tube of you. So now, if that's my only option,* I hit the pause button as soon as they even get to FJ. 
Then I open up the j-archive.com page for that game, set a timer for 30 seconds, read the clue, and hit the timer.

_________

* I don't know why I don't just follow @Bastet's example when I have to miss a game: 

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I wasn't home last night, so just checked the archive…

• Like 2
(edited)

April 24:

80% / 57% / 69%

Good first round, bad second. Back to normal, I guess. In J! I ran the entire right half of the board! - Etymologies, The Rite Stuff, and Movement. Missed two each in US Military Actions, Celebrity Memoirs, and Hiking Gear. DJ I ran Essays, missed one in "Old", two in Near the Equator, three each in Art & Artists and Music from 10 Years Ago, and four in Engineering Marvels.

FJ was an instaget.

TSes: (J had only the DD; DJ had 7 + both DDs) I got Civil Disobedience (DD), Komodo (DD), Democratic Republic of Congo, and Nathaniel Hawthorne.

They missed all the Daily Doubles and I got them all right!

Edited by ams1001
  • Applause 2

I said the Concorde.  I knew Montgolfier was balloons, but I don't think of smoking on balloons of any size.

I got the missed clues of Civil Discourse, Dem Rep of Congo, Kimodo and Raphael.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, dgpolo said:

For the first time in a very very long time I took an instant dislike of a contestant...so of course, she won. Oh well.

I didn't dislike her but she seemed kinda nervous.

• Like 4

I laughed at the way Paul was staring at Amy, trying to tell if she'd gotten FJ correct or if he was going to win.

I only missed one, the missed DD in memoirs, in the entire first round.  (I was not expecting to kick ass based on the categories; running military and, especially, rites was a pleasant surprise.)

But in DJ, I did even worse in art than expected -- I only came up with blue.  I knew blowing music entirely was a distinct possibility, and indeed that's what happened.  I ran equator and essays and got all but the cold calling TS in "old".  I missed two in engineering, so if I could have swapped out those two categories, I could have had a much better round.  Alas.

FJ was sort of an instaget -- I can't see "airlock" without thinking of President Roslin having Leoben tossed out of one on Battlestar Galactica, but when I regrouped, I immediately figured it was the Hindenburg.  I didn't know what the Montgolfiers part referred to, but limiting smoking like that got me right to the flammability issue.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, so when the FJ! category of Historic Transports came up, was I the only one who preguessed The Edmund Fitzgerald?

My spouse said that! We were also ready with Pony Express, Titanic, the Orient Express, bullet trains and the Orphan Train. 🤣

• Like 5

Am I the only one who instagot the TS of Abstract Expressionism?
Cool. 😎 
$2K (FWIW)

And I guess I'm also the only one who f'loved the new champ because I related to her story of having had so many addresses. Maybe @Clanstarling too?
Plus, she's cute as a bug's ear; she strongly resembles one of my work-daughters.
I would hope she could stay on J! long enough to get the recognition one cannot achieve when nobody in the neighborhood knows you, but probably not?
Wait. I just noticed Amy Hummel is an ER doc. 🙌

I only got as far as "Blimp" for FJ.
*sigh*

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYHruNhoDXSPHakAV7lqvS6Skq3DcgNH-QMQ&s

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

For FJ I knew right away it was the disaster blimp but, for some reason, I  have a hard time remembering its name.  I did, fortunately, pull it out in time and got my first FJ of the week.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
11 minutes ago, Trey said:

For FJ I knew right away it was the disaster blimp but, for some reason, I  have a hard time remembering its name.  I did, fortunately, pull it out in time and got my first FJ of the week.

I was exactly the same, the air balloon that caught fire, the humanity, everything except the damn name until the very last possible moment. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)

I liked all 3 of last night's contestants, but I'm glad Amy won.

FJ was an instaget for me.  The Montgolfier brothers = hot air balloons (thanks, Monty Python's Flying Circus for that bit of info), and what sort of lighter than air craft would need such a separate smoking room other than a zeppelin.  Voila!  The Hindenburg.

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't dislike her but she seemed kinda nervous.

She did, but since I was pretty nervous during my game, I could relate to her.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

it was the disaster blimp

I'm stealing this.

1 hour ago, Shrek said:

I was exactly the same, the air balloon that caught fire, the humanity, everything except the damn name until the very last possible moment. 

The irony is that the fire wasn't in any way related to the smoking room.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 4

Instaget on FJ and reminder of the delightful Arrogant Worms and their song, "History is Made by Stupid People." Pertinent lyrics:

The Hindenburg was a giant zepplin
Its makers made a minor oversight
Before they filled it up with explosive gas
They should have fixed the no-smoking light

• LOL 5
On 4/24/2024 at 8:10 AM, chitowngirl said:

Anything I know about CERN I learned from The Big Bang Theory! 😆

In a weird coincidence, we watched that very episode on our local Fox channel  last night.

17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, so when the FJ! category of Historic Transports came up, was I the only one who preguessed The Edmund Fitzgerald?

I'm happy to say it never entered my mind. But neither did the Hindenburg (though the mister got it).

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And I guess I'm also the only one who f'loved the new champ because I related to her story of having had so many addresses. Maybe @Clanstarling too?

I must confess, I've had a few - but then again, a few too many.

• Like 3
On 4/23/2024 at 8:04 PM, HyeChaps said:

Didn't they used to give a preview of the next night's contestants during the end credits?  (With home towns)

They did, for a while, then quit doing it.

• Like 1

April 25:

73% / 50% / 61%

Not too bad in the first round, terrible in the second. Missed three in Gorges and one each in everything else. In DJ I missed one in DC, one in Holidays (out the of four they actually got to), two in Rock & Roll (out of three), two in Vocabulary, three in Sailing Novel (out of four), and four in French History. Had no clue for FJ. Amy needs to pick up the pace.

TSes: (J had 5; DJ had 9, plus 1 DD, plus four clues left on the board) I got Tanzania, Parker Brothers, and Maybellene.

image.thumb.png.9c520690058a8185ddda943c65d123ee.png

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

I was torn between Atlanta, because there's an Athens, GA, and Austin, because everything's biggest in TX.

I got the missed clues of Big Brother, Parker Brothers, Caine Mutiny (loved that book), De Gaulle, and Jack London.

I got the entire category of Baby names and partial category of below decks right and the entire partial category of Rock 'N Roll wrong.

• Like 4

I said Atlanta because of Athens, GA.

But I did get the TS of Tanzania, Switzerland, Big Brother, Parker Brothers, The MGs, Jack London, and Maybelline.  

I don't mind Amy generally, but she is way too slow at picking clues.

• Like 4

Ok, Amy drives me a bit crazy. Way too slow picking categories. Her affect is weird. (So not like most doctors I know.) I was hoping the guy in the middle would win.

• Like 5
38 minutes ago, Lady Lucy said:

Ok, Amy drives me a bit crazy. Way too slow picking categories. Her affect is weird. (So not like most doctors I know.) I was hoping the guy in the middle would win.

I agree with you about Amy. FOUR clues left on the board! She has to speed it up.

Tyler, the guy in the middle, was fine until he pulled a "Bring it!" That's my new instant disqualifier. The producers need to tell the contestants to knock it off.

On the other hand, the producers must have stopped telling contestants to read the full category name every single time. I noticed it was starting to fall by the wayside in the later tournaments. Now, it seems as if regular contestants are not reading the full category names after the first call either. I hope that means the producers have decided to let that go.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

I'm watching the NFL draft, so checked the archive.

I apparently do not know my gorges; I missed three in that one.  The category I thought I was going to bomb was reality shows, and I did miss all but one of them, but I'm giving myself credit for three because I would have recognized Heidi Klum and Alan Cumming had I been able to see their pictures.  I only ran Assaults & Batteries, but I got all but one each in the rest of the first round.

I got all three of the rock & roll clues they managed to uncover (and bomb) and wish there had been time to come back to that category; it was my one chance to run something in DJ.  I got all but one each in vocabulary and holidays, but missed three each in French and novels and two in D.C.

I've been to Nashville several times and even been to its Parthenon, but that didn't help me for FJ.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've been to Nashville several times and even been to its Parthenon, but that didn't help me for FJ.

I feel so out of it. Ken said, "You had to think of the Parthenon in Nashville," and all three of the contestants went "Ohhhh, yeah!"

Meanwhile, I went, "There's a Parthenon in Nashville?"

• Like 7
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 6

I also said Atlanta because of Athens GA - not really a good reason for choosing Atlanta.  I didn't know Nashville had a Parthenon.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Now, it seems as if regular contestants are not reading the full category names after the first call either. I hope that means the producers have decided to let that go.

I hope so, too.  Having to read the entire category name for four hundred dollars please Ken really slows down the game.

• Like 8

Maybe the producers have told contestants they only need to say the entire category name of long categories the first time it is chosen to keep the game moving. Some category names are short and long. For example, on April 23 we had "Italian Products" - short. Then we had "20th Century Song, 21st Century Ad" - that's a mouthful! 

• Like 4

I don't recall how I found out there was a Parthenon in Nashville, but on a family vacation in the late 60s, my parents and I went there. This was way before the giant statue was erected. They had a smaller, gilded statue on a pedestal that was taller than the statue itself.

Pre-internet, how did we ever find out about places to see when we went to other cities?

• Like 1
(edited)

Warning- NFL Draft starts an hour earlier tonight and might muck up some of your Jeopardy TV schedules. In NYC on Ch. 7 I see it listed for 3:40 am.

Edited by opus
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1
20 hours ago, Lady Lucy said:

I was hoping the guy in the middle would win.

I was prepared to cheer for Tyler after I heard about his dead languages but when Amy beat him to fulgurous I'm afraid I switched back to Amy.

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Pre-internet, how did we ever find out about places to see when we went to other cities?

Guidebooks! Blue Guide, Fodor's, Rough Guide, Lonely Planet, etc ...

• Like 4