Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

A middling game for me with only one ts: Chevrolet.

Unfortunately, "Georgia green" did not lead to Atlanta so I guessed Jim Beam.  Once the answer was revealed I was sure I'd be the only person in the world to have gotten it wrong.  I'm glad to see that I wasn't.

I liked Fred and Stuart but I'm afraid Emily didn't make much impression on me. I thought Fred's voice was so loud because he's a professor and was projecting to the back of the class.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Living in Metro Atlanta, I'm embarrassed to say I went straight to Heineken, only because it's the only green bottle I could think of and once that entered my brain, there was no going back.

I don't live in Atlanta, but I very confidently said 'Heineken' when the clue was revealed. 

• Like 3

Although I hate that J! is doing the Champion Wildcard series because of the writers' strike (thankfully settled), I am really enjoying the stories the players are telling about life after winning. I actually look forward to the interviews. Also, the players seem more relaxed as they are already Jeopardy Champions and never expected to be back. This leads to more banter and, from my viewpoint, a lot more fun to watch. 

• Like 9
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

The only thing I could think of, although it matched virtually nothing else in the clue, was Heineken beer.

That was actually the beer I thought of when I was thinking beer.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, secnarf said:

See, had the clue actually said that it came in a bottle, I might have got there. However, I was thinking of an object packaged in glass and trying to figure out why or what the reason might be. Clearly not firing on all cylinders tonight.

I was jarring soup yesterday, so my mind went to jars - and peaches. Nothing came up. But just in time, my mind went to bottles, and AHA, I got to Coke. Good thing I'm not a beer drinker. 😆

I had a really good game today, ran a few categories, and then there was FJ. If I ever knew that coke once came in green bottles, I didn’t remember it. The only thing I could think of, although it matched virtually nothing else in the clue, was Heineken beer.  I know.

I wondered when they stopped using the green bottles and found this visual timeline:

image.thumb.png.8fc57b90f0ba77c808970737ab95797d.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I was jarring soup yesterday, so my mind went to jars - and peaches. Nothing came up. But just in time, my mind went to bottles, and AHA, I got to Coke. Good thing I'm not a beer drinker. 😆

My mind first went to perfume/cologne, don't know why, maybe because The Amazing Race just had a challenge involving a cologne (in Cologne), but I couldn't think of anything so said Seven-Up which usually comes in green bottles. Didn't ever make the Georgia-Atlanta-Coke connection. Though-- I have heard some areas of the country call all soft drinks Coke? anyone get it just because of that? (like you didn't think Coca Cola specifically but Coke as a soft drink generally?) Also, in my part of the country we call it -pop- and it's been very hard writing this paragraph while refraining from using that term.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I wondered when they stopped using the green bottles and found this visual timeline:

I should probably take my Coke bottle memories to Small Talk...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

1991!! I know my memory is slipping, but that is ridiculous.

Although there is some solace in knowing I wasn’t the only one stuck on the Heineken train.

• Like 2

November 14:

67% / 67% / 67%

Not a great game, but at least I was consistent? In J! I ran Crafts, missed one in Insects, three in Also a Beverage, and two in everything else. In DJ I ran 90s Music and Carl Sagan, missed one in Billions & Billions, two in Quick Cities, three in Of "Stars" and four in Baby Books.

FJ wasn't quite an instaget but I did get it in plenty of time.

TSes: (J had 4 + the DD; DJ had 5 + 1DD) I got découpage, Garth Brooks and Bridget Jones.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Another so so game. In the J round I ran "Insects" and got 4 in "Talk Cleanly to Me". One TS - decoupage. In DJ I ran "Quick Cities", but had 2 stinker categories - I only got 1 right in "Baby Books" and "Carl Sagan".  Got the TSs/missed DD of Garth Brooks, Barcelona, Vancouver (DD) and Bridget Jones.

2 for 2 in FJ this week. Don't know why the Liberty Bell popped into my head, and I didn't think it was right, but I stuck with it. Yay!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS of chaste, decoupage, Vancouver, midwife, and Bridget Jones.

I decided to go with chaste but my brain was quibbling that a wife can be chaste as long as she isn't fooling around so virginity wasn't exactly right. I was also wondering whether the allusion to Madonna's lyrics was supposed to provide a link to some other word I wasn't thinking of. Adding excess stuff that isn't a real breadcrumb is just distracting. 

I got to decoupage only on the rebound after collage was rejected. 

I also got Sprite as well as Garth Brooks based on the picture (although I had forgotten about his alter ego so I had a moment of uncertainty when Ken said it was Chris Gaines).

I had forgotten that that star (shining in the east, beyond them far) We Three Kings followed had any sort of name, so I couldn't get near the Star of Bethlehem. 

• Like 2

Inhabitants led me to house, which made me think of the White House - then I thought, well, I wouldn't really call that an object (category: historic objects). But, since I didn't think of a bottle as packaging yesterday, and it was, I ended up going with the White House today. *sigh*

I don't think I would have come up with the Liberty Bell though, so there is that.

• Like 3

Liberty Bell was an educated guess, but a guess nonetheless. Lucky for me, it still counts! 

Ran Palme d’Or and ‘90’s music, along with Bridget Jones, decoupage, Vancouver and Tar Baby. I was very surprised by Garth Brooks— he was huge not that long ago and unmistakable to me, even though I don’t like country music.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Please add me to the list of "wow... they didn't recognize Garth Brooks?!" I am still in shock. (I actually wouldn't have been shocked if they'd shown a photo of him without his hat... he really does look different, hatless. JMO)

Ken's reminder about the centipede while going to commercial break gave me the creepy crawly feels.

• Like 4

Liberty Bell was an educated guess, but a guess nonetheless. Lucky for me, it still counts! 

I could not come up with anything, and then said (censored) "well, for s**** and giggles, I'm saying Liberty Bell." So I got it for s&g! (btw, I never use that expression, I'd just read it in a news story and it came into my mind. When I use filthy language, I'm much filthier than that 😉)

9 hours ago, Bliss said:

Ken's reminder about the centipede while going to commercial break gave me the creepy crawly feels.

Me too. Once we took our kids to the SF Zoo and went into the insects (and whatever) room. I was so creeped out by the extraordinarily large ones (including a centipede) that I had to bug out and leave them to it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1

A decent game for me.  I got the ts's of decoupage, Garth Brooks, Bridget Jones, and the missed DD of Vancouver.

FJ was an instaguess but I couldn't think of anything else so stayed with Liberty Bell.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

When I use filthy language, I'm much filthier than that 😉

Want to hang out? You're my kind of gal. LOL

(I read recently that people who swear are more intelligent. I don't care what the source is, or the veracity... my gut says it's true.)

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

(I read recently that people who swear are more intelligent. I don't care what the source is, or the veracity... my gut says it's true.)

Absof***inglutely!

Censored for anyone who might be offended. I don’t censor in real life. I will, however, be getting a drink with Clanstarling and Bliss at my first opportunity. 😉

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2

Did just a little better today (just a little) especially in DJ. In the J round I ran "Postcards from the Edge" and got 4 in "Sports!". In DJ I ran "Scientists As Parents" and "Bride's Head Revisited" and got 4 in "What's the "Plan"?". TSs were mantillas and Bernadette.

First missed FJ this week. I just stared at the clue and did the math to get 1776 and 1943 but nothing came to mind. I finally said the Washington Monument just to say something but didn't think it was right - and it wasn't.

• Like 4

November 15:

57% / 73% / 65%

J!:  Ugh. Ran nothing, missed one in Sports and Bath, two in Gods, and three in everything else.

DJ: Not terrible. Ran Scientists as Parents, Bride's Head Revisited, and What's the "Plan?", two in Candian Artistes, and three in Stage Name's the Same and Saints.

Did not get FJ. I guessed Washington Monument but I was pretty sure it came earlier than that. At least I got the math right to figure out the relevant years?

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 5) I got mantilla and St. Christopher.

I wasn't particularly rooting for anyone but gotta respect Henry's gutsy wagers right at the end.

• Like 5

I didn't keep score because my cat sitter was supposed to come around 7 and pick up the key.  But, I didn't get FJ.  I knew what happened in 1776, but I said Independence Hall even though I know that's in Philadelphia.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also said Washington Monument for FJ, after doing the math and discarding my initial response of Lincoln Memorial.  

I imagined that the reason they mentioned the 17 years was because Congress was planning ahead and therefore the calculation should be 1926 + 17 - 150 = 1793. And then I persuaded myself that that must have been when Washington became president so I guessed the Washington Monument. Even if I had gone to 1776 I don't think I would have made the right association out of so many Founding Fathers.

I was surprised that no one got mantilla since the clue spotted them manta. 

ETA: I was confused about why they drew attention to the "medal" in the clue for St Christopher. You can have a medal for any saint, can't you? 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Like 6

I did the math and knew it was something related to 1776, but I couldn’t think of what that would be. I said Washington Monument just to have a guess even though I knew that couldn’t possibly be it since due to Hamilton the Musical I know that Eliza Hamilton was involved with getting it built, which would have been mid-1800s.

• Like 6

The woman on the end, can't remember her name now, was a buzz saw in the first round, and I was sure she was going to win.  I think the other 2 got better at their buzzer skills in DJ.  What an ending though!  Seems to me that many of the contestants are more willing to go with true daily doubles in these tournaments than in their initial appearances.  Maybe they won enough $$ that playing the game for $$ isn't as important enough.  I wouldn't make a good contestant, because I'm not a risky gambler.   

• Like 4
10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

ETA: I was confused about why they drew attention to the "medal" in the clue for St Christopher. You can have a medal for any saint, can't you? 

Although you can have a medal for any saint, St. Christopher medals were iconic when I was growing up as he was/is the patron saint of travelers and traveling was/is considered risky. My Mom never let us go on any long trips without a St. Christopher medal. After the issue of whether St. Christopher really existed came up and he was downgraded, she told us we should still carry a "Mister" Christopher medal, just in case.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

I was going to explain it too, but @Good Queen Jane did a great job of explaining it.

Anyhow, I got the ts's or missed DDs of Salome, mantilla, St. Christopher, and Bernadette. 

Did not get FJ and didn't even come up with any clear guess.  Mumbled "Smithsonian" with no hope that it was correct.

A come-from-behind win! Makes FJ just a little more interesting.

• Like 5
22 hours ago, Bliss said:

You bet! We have three generations (at least) of potty mouths in our family - my parents were potty mouths, they raised a potty mouth, and I raised my own potty mouths.

21 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Absof***inglutely!

Censored for anyone who might be offended. I don’t censor in real life. I will, however, be getting a drink with Clanstarling and Bliss at my first opportunity. 😉

Sounds like fun, though I am a light weight when it comes to drinking. We do clean it up for "respectable" ears, but it's no holds barred with fellow aficionados of the well chosen expletive.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I didn't keep score because my cat sitter was supposed to come around 7 and pick up the key.  But, I didn't get FJ.  I knew what happened in 1776, but I said Independence Hall even though I know that's in Philadelphia.

I misread this and thought your cat was coming around for the keys and spent a second or two wondering how you trained it. 🤣

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I misread this and thought your cat was coming around for the keys and spent a second or two wondering how you trained it.

I can't even train her to be slightly not obnoxious.  She won't even clean out her own litter box.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 7
6 hours ago, laredhead said:

Seems to me that many of the contestants are more willing to go with true daily doubles in these tournaments than in their initial appearances.  Maybe they won enough $$ that playing the game for $$ isn't as important enough. 

Just a guess, but it may have to do with the fact that it’s a second chance rather than a first one. Being back is already a bonus, so why not make the most of the experience and go for broke. I just think it would be a different mindset, coming in as someone who had already won and had also made peace with losing.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Not much good to say about today's game. I ran "We'll Spot You a Letter" in the J round and "Kauai" in DJ. TSs were afterglow in the J round and the Mann Act and Liffey in DJ.

Again no FJ today. I like 2 of the contestants went with Kipling. Could have thought forever and not come up with William Blake.

• Like 4

I first thought of Kipling, but discarded it immediately when I remembered "Tyger, tiger burning bright" -- it took me another couple of seconds to remember the author, but I got it in plenty of time to write it down.

I also got the TS of Sidney Carton, Christmas tree, Matthew Shepard, and Liffey.  I was quite sad that Matthew Shepard was a TS.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

November 16:

57% / 73% / 66%

Repeat of last night…terrible first round, decent second, and no FJ. Got all the DDs, at least.

In J! I got four in Pop Music, Dad Gum It, and We'll Spot You a Letter, three in Up Above and Jailhouse Rock, and shamefully missed four in What the Dickens! I've even read three of the four books mentioned. 😳 In DJ I ran Robin Williams Movie Quotes, missed one in The Name of the Law, That's Misleading, and Kauai, two in Sculpture, and three in Bridge on the River.

TSes: (J had 7; DJ had 7 + both DDs) I got Olivia Rodrigo, Matthew Shepard, Good Will Hunting (DD), and Liffey.

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Is Amy's necklace one of the dipper constellations? Very cool.

I watched on Youtube so I just went back to look; yes it is. :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I first thought of Kipling, but discarded it immediately when I remembered "Tyger, tiger burning bright" -- it took me another couple of seconds to remember the author, but I got it in plenty of time to write it down.

I should have realized that 1793 was much too early for Kipling but somehow skipped over that (while wasting time thinking about how I had thought of the specific year 1793 yesterday in error, and also reflecting that the Hector Munro in this case was presumably not Saki) and just went English - India- poetry - BOOM: Kipling. 

I have never heard of Caesar's wife being above reproach, only suspicion, so I was surprised they accepted that.

I got Niagara and Vltava, Christmas Tree, Olivia Rodrigo, and ("oh -- the one with Matt Damon!") Good Will Hunting.

• Like 3

I knew 1793 was too early for Kipling, but could not come up with another answer although a vague memory of what may have been a Blake book faintly appeared in my mind's eye. 

Now I finally understand why J! players will choose to not give a response when they are sure that the only response they can come up with is wrong. 

There were 14 TSs, which is way more than I can recall seeing in any game since the start of this tournament. 
I knew Dada.
IEWYKI™️ (It's Easy When You Know It)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3