Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: All Wrong/S02.E07 The Turnover Day

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm fairly certain it was their decision that Laura had to go too.

Absolutely. And also production was well aware that Laura was drinking on the job at least twice. Firing wasn't just a question of "if"  but "when."

• Like 6

Anybody else thinking Laura was plotting to pillow suffocate Ayesha on one of her permanent night shifts before she was yanked off the boat?

She was a camera hog that took every opportunity to throw Ayesha under the bus with the producers acting as her audience.

Her taking her sweet time to get ready for nights off the boat shouldn't have been tolerated, they should have left her to take her own narcissistic taxi.

That was only Charter 3?

This is an excruciatingly slow season....

• Like 6
4 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Also, I swear I saw a post months ago that claimed someone on a Bravo show was raped during production; names weren't disclosed. But I cannot find it now.

Are you thinking about Brandi and Caroline Manzo?   The timeline is about right.  The story is that Brandi assaulted Caroline in a bathroom during production.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

I'm glad both were fired. Both deserved it.  Laura is so odd.  From what I listened from her conversation with Margot it was like she was blaming her for Luke getting fired.  Glad Jason sent them both off immediately.

• Like 15

A little foreshadowing in episode 3 where he fake apologizes for coming on too strong. In his talking head he said something like “ she wanted it, she loved it, girls like her play all innocent but I know what they are like….” He is gross and I don’t buy for a second that he didn’t recall what he had done.  Laura is also straight up trash and a predator. I am guessing they both noped out of social media for a while.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Like 9
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1

This kind of behaviour has been going on for as long as I can remember. It's always pissed me off that many cast members have had to fight off unwanted attention from others. People have been kissed and groped without consent on all versions of this show. Luke did exactly that to drunken Margot a couple of weeks ago, and nobody intervened then.

And yeah, big kudos to Jason for dealing with it in a way that supported Margot. I feel like Glenn would have been giggling and high fiving Gary Luke with his "aw shucks, boys will be boys" attitude. 

It's really not ok that Bravo has let this shit go on for so many years. It's time to clean up.

Aesha was badass in handling the situation, and the best scene in that whole debacle was the girls supporting each other. More of that good stuff, please!

• Like 8
  • Applause 5
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

Continually sexually harassing a man after he has told you that he is not interested is also not okay. Men are vulnerable to sexual harassment/abuse too; society often forgets that.

It's such a double standard. If production had not just had to physically pull Luke out of Margot's cabin, I suspect they would have just let Laura continue to climb all over Adam and keep filming. It was Luke's behavior and her reaction to it that got her fired, not her own harassment of Adam if that whole Luke/Margot thing hadn't happened. They only had a problem with her because they were spooked by what happened with Luke.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, sainte-chapelle said:

A little foreshadowing in episode 3 where he fake apologies for coming on too strong. In his talking head he said something like “ she wanted it, she loved it, girls like her play all innocent but I know what they are like….” He is gross and I don’t buy for a second that he didn’t recall what he had done.  Laura is also straight up trash. I am guessing they both noped out of social media for a while.

As of this morning, Laura had issued an "apology" of sorts...pretty much the type of thing we would expect from her and made her IG private for now.  Luke is still on IG, posting photos of his exploits in Dubai.  He is writing how he has made changes over the last year and a half.  People are speculating that he is deleting the negative comments.

Update:  since the last time I checked, Luke has marked his account "private" as well.

Edited by SemiCharmedLife
addition
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 9

Nooooo, not Joau(sp?)! I was hoping for someone with good energy.

Laura shows a lot of narcissistic behavior. Zero empathy, grandiose sense of self, special/gets her way, knows it all, crosses clear boundaries, etc. I feel sorry for anyone who crosses her destructive path.

Luke committed SA and should be charged. Margot told him no to a cuddle and he climbed in her bed freakin naked! Imagine if his celly did that to him? Oh man, I was drunk on toilet wine, don't remember, but I take responsibility for your sore ass.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, Victoria Winters said:

The fact that Laura isnt embarrased that Luke left her ready and waiting in his cabin to go try and get with a drunk passed out Margot...says a lot...delusional narc

What Laura did is as bad as Luke, a sexual predator. She had to be kicked out of Adam's room by producers too.

Aesha was great though, wasn't she, looking out for her stew.

Edited by nokat
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, J80134 said:

Nooooo, not Joau(sp?)! I was hoping for someone with good energy.

Bravo just can't help itself. An entire episode of virtue-signaling, followed immediately by the return of the rank misogynist Joao. It's as if they can't really believe their viewers don't want to watch such trash. Talk about mixed messages.

It's interesting that they closely shaped the predator story lines. The cameras were right there, tracking its development. Aesha was talking about protecting Margot hours before the the incident happened. "I see the way he looks at you." Laura and Luke probably thought they were behaving the way production wanted them to, since that's the historical pattern. They fell for the trap.

Some of Jason's speeches sounded like literal scripts (by attorneys or HR people). It's possible some of them were filmed hours or days later to play catch-up.

Bravo patting itself on the back despite having let this awful behavior evolve over many seasons.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 7

I was stunned to see that after watching pervo Luke's actions and then feeling good about his being fired, we find out his replacement will be... JWao. Seriously? Another delusional dude with anger management issues.

Wao. I mean, wow. Maybe they can replace Laura with Snooki.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 9

Cheffy plated the arroz con pollo like a cafeteria lunch lady plopping it on a divided tray.

Both birthday and memorial cakes looked the same, only one trick pony when it comes to cakes?

This charter had the nicest people...a nice change from the usual whiners, drunkards and entitled divas.

• Like 7

I thought Tzarina did well with the Cuban dish, considering that she never made it before and had to wait for the ship to return to port to get the chicken.

The guests wanted comfort food since that is what the mother of the primary used to make it for him and they were having the dinner in memoriam to her.

She could have done some fancy plating, like mold it into a tiny cylinder and use garnish to make it pretty I suppose.

(In one episode of The Bear, a fancy restaurant decides to get a guest some deep-dish pizza because they overheard her saying she didn't get to try it so they get some from a pizza joint but then cut it into circles and they garnish it to pretty it up.  So they wanted to rebrand it, not just as some standard pizza slice but something that they put their stamp on.  I would have just preferred a pizza slice.)

However, the goal in this case was to give provide the familiar to the guest, to make him remember something his dear mother used to give him.

Oh and they got a big tip, though part of it was this arm-wrestling contest which came out of nowhere, unless I missed some exchange where Jason and the primary talked about arm wrestling.

But I still think tips are made up.

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Cheffy plated the arroz con pollo like a cafeteria lunch lady plopping it on a divided tray.

Yeah it just looked like a pile of slop. She is not at her best with presentation. I still haven't gotten over the awful looking bowl of brown crap she served for dessert back on charter one.

On another non-rapey note, hiring a deckhand who can't swim and gets seasick almost seems like a joke. He's right up there with that Russian chef Mila who couldn't cook. Some of these people are obviously thrown into the mix just to cause drama and get fired. Ironic that Luke and Laura should both end up going before Adam. I don't think the show was quite expecting that.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, aghst said:

But I still think tips are made up.

I have always thought so since we never see any crew member with a huge wad of money at the end of the season and nobody ever puts the cash away anywhere and we never even see the crew pay for dinners out. I think it is the same wad of money distributed at the tip meetings, they give them the cash then producers collect it off camera, that is my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

we never even see the crew pay for dinners out.

speaking of which, that constant stream of "8 more tequilla shots" must add up. Unless production pays for their dinners out, which wouldn't surprise me one bit, since lots of booze yields, well, you know. Those people were hammered.

• Like 3

Couple of things not already mentioned (I think). How did Bravo keep this incident quiet? Did anyone know in advance that this happened? If word got out about it, I certainly didn't see it. 

It looks like from the previews, Margot gets caught drinking on the job. I don't see her being fired though, given everything that she just went through. 

Good riddance to both Luke and Laura, each a reprehensible (sub)human. 

Edited by tvfanatic13
Laura is definitely NOT Margot.
  • Like 6

Below Deck must use stunt money because the tips are always fresh unused bills in the local currency.

The primary most likely uses a credit card to advance cash in the amount of the tip.

The producers converts the primary's tip into crisp bills, divides them into the paper clipped bundles for the captain to flip out to the crew at the Tip Meeting.

The producers then collects the crips bills to be used for the next Tip meeting and each crew's tip amount is direct deposited to their bank account.

The white envelope may have money just not money pretty enough for the tip reveal.

I'm just guessing of course because I have nothing better to do. 🙄

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3

Holy shit, those were two deep episodes.  

Now we know why Laura was attracted to Luke.  Like is attracted to like; one predator to another.  I loved Aesha before this but now I love her even more, for stepping up not only for Margot but for Adam as well.  Harassment is harassment and assault is assault, whether it's a man or woman doing it.  

Maybe this will be a good lesson for all those crew nights out, when so many of them get black out drunk or claim they don't remember what happened the next day.  There may not be an Aesha or Jason there -- and thank goodness there was this time.

Given Laura's comments to Margot, I have to wonder if she's been assaulted herself and/or thinks this is just normal, drunken behavior, especially if you've been "flirty" with someone.  Regardless, her comments were disgusting, as was her refusal to listen to what Adam was saying and pawing and climbing all over him.  I felt sorry for him - for that and for the motion sickness.  I've suffered with motion sickness and it's terrible.  You don't choose to be motion sick, LUKE.  It's not like Adam was sick just to ruin your day.  Douchebag.  

I hate that we saw Margot drinking the day after.  Definitely not a good foreshadowing.  

I have a feeling that if Culver had been around when Luke was climbing into Margot's bunk, Luke would have gotten a well-deserved beatdown.  

So I recognize Joao but the new stew?  Anyone?  

And again, kudos to Aesha and Jason, MVPs this episode.  

• Like 7

Unrelated to sexual assault...

Do you guys ever notice when they get up to their inevitable drunken shenanigans at these restaurants, there's literally no one else acting the fool? They PRETEND it's some club they went to, but really they're mostly making noise in the bar area of a restaurant. I can't imagine being a person on vacation, eating a nice meal, then these bozos roll up, order 16 tequila shots and start taking off their clothes and dry humping each other. It's pretty fucking gross behavior.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Cheffy plated the arroz con pollo like a cafeteria lunch lady plopping it on a divided tray

So I'm not the only one who thought that. Plop on a plate and serve.

• Like 4

While I was pleased and relieved to see sexual assault finally handled appropriately by Bravo/51 Minds, my cynical self believes it was just that the situation with Luke was so egregious that's all they could do. Then once they'd been forced to deal with Luke they were on the hook for dealing with Laura, too. Both of them should have been held accountable for their actions long before things went as far as they did. I suspect they had a (possibly different) firing planned, and Joao lined up, before this happened. For me, how Joao is presented is going to be a proof in the pudding situation for Bravo and production's commitment to cast safety.

I don't believe any of the outings on shows like this are a surprise to the other people at whatever the venue is. I think the venue notifies patrons that a show will be happening. Even if they didn't, the light, sound, and video people would show up long before the cast, plus there would be someone wanting releases signed.

According to Kate Chastain, the tips are real:

"On a yacht of that size, [a good tip] would be $5,000 a person, for seven days of work," she reveals. "Five grand a crew member, usually. Our charters are a little bit shorter, just so we can make the show, [but] everything else is exactly the same. So, it's prorated. We usually get around $2,500, $2,000. Anything less than $1,000 would be depressing, which sounds crazy, doesn't it?"

Kate says there is one part of the tip process seen on the show that might just be for TV -- how the tip is delivered. On the show, the crew stands in line to send off the guests, with the primary charter guest handing over an envelope of cash to Captain Lee. Kate notes that the lineup is standard, but the envelope handoff isn’t.

"There's always a lineup, just 'cause it's polite," she says. "Like, even in Downton Abbey, they all line up. So, I think it's a tradition that’s been around for hundreds of years, but sometimes, I think, instead of traveling with so much cash, they wire the money."

Edited by Passing Strange
  • Like 5
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

Unrelated to sexual assault...

Do you guys ever notice when they get up to their inevitable drunken shenanigans at these restaurants, there's literally no one else acting the fool? They PRETEND it's some club they went to, but really they're mostly making noise in the bar area of a restaurant. I can't imagine being a person on vacation, eating a nice meal, then these bozos roll up, order 16 tequila shots and start taking off their clothes and dry humping each other. It's pretty fucking gross behavior.

Actually this season, I think it was BD Med, the clients of a restaurant were looking really annoyed by the crew's juvenile and very loud behavior.
It was the first time I noticed, probably because the cameras could not hide it, since the tables where outside in a small pedestrian street.

• Like 4

Ok... I dunno if I should get mad or just lol at this episode. Probably both.
Production encourages drunken and predator behavior, what did they expect it would finally happen? 
Of course Luke had to go, so was Laura. But I really do not get why BDSY Gary is still in this frakking franchise? When he welcomes new stews by inappropriate    touching and very aggressive flirting, isn't this sexual harassment? 

At this moment I only keep watching BDDU for Aesha. BD is the only reality I have watched plenty of seasons of it. I am  not really a fan of reality TV. I didn't finish any of the other BDs this season, stopped watching around the middle of it. They were unbearable. 
Aesha is an amazing and positive person. At least on TV.  I remember the first time  I saw her, my first impression was "oh, she is annoying". Very soon though, she won my TV heart. As long as she is in, I will be watching. 

• Like 5

Aesha fans will want to watch last week's Project Runway.

The designers were assigned BD cast members and incorporated their ideas to update crew uniforms.

Spoiler alert: Aesha rocked the runway in her look with Colin's, Courtney's and Daisy's uniforms looking fresh too.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Aesha fans will want to watch last week's Project Runway.

The designers were assigned BD cast members and incorporated their ideas to update crew uniforms.

Spoiler alert: Aesha rocked the runway in her look with Colin's, Courtney's and Daisy's uniforms looking fresh too.

I watched, and she did rock it.  Courtney looked so cute, and Colin's was what Britney does best.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, nokat said:

Aesha was great though, wasn't she, looking out for her stew.

Yes, and she looked out for Adam too, which I thought was very impressive since Adam's "superior" was not around to look out for him.

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Zaffy said:

Ok... I dunno if I should get mad or just lol at this episode. Probably both.
Production encourages drunken and predator behavior, what did they expect it would finally happen? 
Of course Luke had to go, so was Laura. But I really do not get why BDSY Gary is still in this frakking franchise? When he welcomes new stews by inappropriate    touching and very aggressive flirting, isn't this sexual harassment?  

I truly expected a case of alcohol poisoning long ago.  These people drink like fishes and regularly black out.  I know the drinking is encouraged because production wants crazy behaviors and drama. I hope they rethink encouraging the overdrinking.  Fans actually enjoy the calmer crew members who don't jump in the sack with every coworker they meet.  Some of the fan favorite crew include Colin (both BD Med and SY), Mzi, Courtney, Josiah, Rachel (post her first season), Ileisha, Aesha, Tumi, to name a few.  

Edited by SemiCharmedLife
addition
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1

Washington Post has a brief article about the episode.

Bravo didn’t make an official comment nor make any of the crew available to make comments.

Instead, Margot, Jason and Luke made brief social media posts.  Jason thanked production for breaking the fourth wall to intervene and also filming the scene in which Aesha came to him to report what happened with Margot.

Episode was filmed a year ago and the events depicted only became known as it aired.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Best.episode.ever! I have always loved Ashea and she rocked it out! Captain Jason stepped up too.  So proud of both of them.  And the entire crew....well, the ones that are left.

Speaking of Laura, that girl is not right.  Something is very wrong with her.  Her total lack of empathy towards Margot was appalling but also very telling.  She just did not get it.  There was a total disconnect with her and what happened.  And her behavior towards Adam was disturbing and if she had been a man, she would have been kicked off boat after the 2nd episode. Is this what Narcissism looks like?  Or is she a sociopath?  Gaslighting Margot about what happened was too much.  Good bye and good riddance. 

Edited by gaPeach
I apparently cannot spell or use grammar properly!
  • Like 3
  • Applause 5
20 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

You don't choose to be motion sick, LUKE.  It's not like Adam was sick just to ruin your day.  Douchebag.  

No, you don't choose to be seasick. But . . . you choose to be a deckhand. 

I wondered at first how Adam even made it through the casting process when he's clearly not DTF. Now I get it. They found out he couldn't swim and got seasick and figured he would be HIGH-larious as a deckhand. Comedy gold!

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Zaffy said:

At this moment I only keep watching BDDU for Aesha.

According to various media comments, including Primetimer, the BD franchise is now Bravo's top franchise (as opposed to housewives, etc.). I think production is trying to leverage that and reorient the series' focus and remove the tawdrier bits. I think Aesha and Jason will be their favored crew leaders, replacing the once-popular Kate and Lee. Captain Sandy will be frothing at the mouth because she craves admiration and attention.

Is this what a Narcissism looks like?  Or is she a sociopath?

Her two postures are pouting and provocation. I still wonder if she thought production wanted her to push the sexuality ("I wish Adam was in MY bed.") and just pushed on with that despite the sexual assault. She was like a one-track machine that wouldn't turn off. I think she will do anything to leverage her appearance on the show, but as others have speculated she may also have been shaped by trauma in her past.

I suffer from vertigo and seasickness. I wondered why Adam would choose to work on a wave-tossed boat. Maybe medication helped in the past but is not working now?

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
19 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

I suffer from vertigo and seasickness. I wondered why Adam would choose to work on a wave-tossed boat. Maybe medication helped in the past but is not working now?

In one of the episodes, he said that he'd forgotten to take his medication. 

I'll admit that it's never affected me, and what little I know about seasickness comes from Horatio Hornblower novels. In those, he got sick every time he set sail, but knew he'd adapt after a few days. I thought it would be the same for Adam, but since that isn't so, I, too wonder why he'd want to work on a boat. Was the lure of the 15 minutes of fame so great?

• Like 1
On 8/8/2023 at 4:48 AM, Uncle JUICE said:

Something like this happening (again) was really inevitable, and thank god the crew was close enough by to step in and mind a cast member's safety (how many drunken falls / injuries in the history of this show?), not to mention prevent an actual felony. They'd have been and still could be legally liable, one thousand percent would have been co-defendants in the civil suit Margot would have filed.

I thought about the legal aspects as well.  Luke should have been taken to a jail cell for attempted SA.

On 8/7/2023 at 10:08 PM, aghst said:

Was Margot having some wine out of that flask while working?  Yeah maybe her staying isn’t the best idea either.

Yes, she was drinking during working hours.  This is not good. If she is eventually fired for this (and I have no inside information that she will be so pure speculation), it might be the best thing for her.  Go back to Wisconsin and get some therapy and be with your family.

On 8/8/2023 at 5:54 AM, rur said:

This is not a defense of his behavior at all, but I think that he wanted to shut the door so he could find something to cover himself before he slunk  back to his cabin.

Agree to disagree because I saw his actions differently.  At one point, he charged at the door with full frontal nudity, pixelated, to slam the door.  His nakedness was not the issue IMO.  I do respect your opinion about this, @rur.

I'm curious.  Did these two episodes show SA Trigger Warnings at the beginning?  I would have really appreciated it if they had.  I was very much triggered to an incident in my past and I was tearful and shaken after viewing.  That's never happened before, and I've watched all iterations of the BD franchise.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 5

You mean Luke climbing into her bed naked?

3 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

There is always the possibility that everything we just saw is scripted.
It would not surprise me at all

I find it hard to believe someone would be willing to trash his public reputation that way. But that's just me.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
23 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Regardless, [Laura's] comments were disgusting, as was her refusal to listen to what Adam was saying and pawing and climbing all over him.  I felt sorry for him - for that and for the motion sickness.  I've suffered with motion sickness and it's terrible.  You don't choose to be motion sick, LUKE.  It's not like Adam was sick just to ruin your day.  Douchebag.

I have Meniere's Disease so I'm no stranger to vertigo/motion sickness as well.  Pop a couple of Dramamine and go to sleep but don't move your head.  The next day I do feel hungover.  That said, I also question Adam's choice to be on Below Deck if he knew of this beforehand.

23 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I have a feeling that if Culver had been around when Luke was climbing into Margot's bunk, Luke would have gotten a well-deserved beatdown.

Man, I would have paid MONEY to see it.  Culver is NOT a lead deckhand but he IS a defender of women.

I agree with previous posters that were stunned to see that Joao was Luke's replacement.  WTAF?  Substitute a misogynist for a sexual predator.  Great idea.  NOT.

I wonder what the new stew does to be called a b*tch.  Jeez, I'm still decompressing from these two episode.  My fun show took an incredibly dark turn and it was shocking.

Edited by Oosala
I reversed the Substitute sentence. Still not sure it's right!
  • Like 4
19 minutes ago, dleighg said:

You mean Luke climbing into her bed naked?

I find it hard to believe someone would be willing to trash his public reputation that way. But that's just me.

I mean all of it. 
People are idiots and reality productions very manipulative. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Zaffy said:

It would not surprise me at all.

Then it would be a scripted show & not a reality show. It would certainly surprise me if it was scripted & even more so given what transpired.

58 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

I mean all of it. 
People are idiots and reality productions very manipulative. 

Manipulative maybe and in some cases highly likely but that is a long way from your previous statement of scripted. Although most of the people on these shows are highly likely to be easily manipulated I don't think Luke was manipulated in any way to do what he did. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Zaffy said:

It would not surprise me at all.

The very rawness of that incident seemed unscripted. For a "reality" show to intentionally, and in full pre-meditation, script a (very possible) attempted rape is no less vile than the act itself IMO.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

Most of these reality shows are scripted or "scripted".
Production's people manipulate the "participants" constantly,  that have been carefully selected in the first place.
I do not say this happened in this specific incident, but I would not be surprised if it was.
There is this tv series, called Unreal, you only need to watch 1-2 episodes to understand how much reality tv can be "scripted".

Everyone talks about Below Deck since this episode aired.
So, lets be a bit cautious..

Edited by Zaffy
2 hours ago, Shrek said:

Then it would be a scripted show & not a reality show. It would certainly surprise me if it was scripted & even more so given what transpired.

Manipulative maybe and in some cases highly likely but that is a long way from your previous statement of scripted. Although most of the people on these shows are highly likely to be easily manipulated I don't think Luke was manipulated in any way to do what he did.

I think the manipulation goes only so far, like providing alcohol, but to encourage a naked man to crawl into bed with a drunk woman, no, that would be on the too far side.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2