Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E07: Fashion, Inside Out

• Start Topic

The jockstrap is back; the all-stars must create high-fashion looks featuring couture undergarments in this one-day challenge; fashion icons Sergio Hudson and Paulina Porizkova help separate the hot from the not.

• Like 2

There's an old black Singer sewing machine just like the one my mom sewed on 60 years ago.

Christian in a hoodless, minimalist rain poncho.

Underwear as outerwear is very 80s.

• Like 3

This challenge is fun to watch so far. Everyone's joking around, garments look interesting, Rami and Christian are having tender moments. I'm most intrigued by the soft pink leather jacket Laurence is making. They haven't shown much of it.

Oh oh, Fabio's kind of has a creamsicle floral super hero look going.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

I thought this was a pretty good runways. Nothing was really bad. Korto's was pretty with lovely fabric, but the design itself wasn't innovative and didn't seem like underwear.

Bishme likes those Minnie Mouse ears shoulders; I think the judges may find that repetitive.

Fabio's creamsicle outfit ended up better than I thought. But I didn't like the black clunky shoes the model wore.

Brittany's outfit was cool but those hanging straps were awkward when the model was walking 

Laurence's is really good but I didn't see underwear.

• Like 8

Nice to see the old guard in the top. I wish Rami had won instead of Kara Saun, but I am happy for her.

Save Fabio!!!!

Rats! I think Korto should have been out. At least Fabio's was innovative. Korto's looked like something thrown together at the last minute.

• Like 19

Between last week’s winner and this week’s theme, this is turning into Braject Runway. I’m fine with it even if it made me remember Santino’s German lingerie nightmare.

I used to be in a death metal band called Bleeding Nipple Corset, but I’m not sure that’s the breast inspiration for this challenge.

“Maybe it’s not a top. Maybe it’s a garment that looks like a top.” Excuse me while I go copyright that phrase and launch a brand called Gaybelline and that will be the slogan.

“You’re wearing briefs, floral lace shorts, a harness, and a kimono. What are you going to do next?” “I’m going to Costco!”

It was probably a good idea for Korto to rethink her LDS kinky teatime ensemble, especially because I think that was the name of something International Male sold back in the late ‘90s.

So far, the two post-Hester challenges are making me wonder if the rest of the season is going to continue trolling Hester with things they thought would be in their wheelhouse. Next week, an outfit that tries so hard, it actually cringes. After that, a look for a future Amy Sedaris character.

The judges’ comments for Prajjé sound like they were generated by a chatbot sent to “pseudo-intellectual bullshit.” I don’t mean that as an insult or a compliment.

Many of the quotes from Anna and Paulina Porizkova this episode remind me of this, which wouldn’t at all be out of place from someone wearing underwear as outerwear.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 17
1 minute ago, Lamb18 said:

Nice to see the old guard in the top. I wish Rami had won instead of Kara Saun, but I am happy for her.

I liked the both a lot, but I agree Kara Saun's workmanship was on another level. The color and sheerness in the just right places really sung.👏

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
1 minute ago, TexasGal said:

I wondered if Christian might save Fabio but nope. 

I wonder why Korto didn’t keep her original really pretty bodysuit and just convert the jacket to that skirt?

Why didn't he save Fabio? One wonders.

I'm going to have to watch again to see what happened after the start with the pretty bodysuit that made Korto  have to redo her look?

• Like 4

I'm with Brandon.

Please God, may we never see those elephant ear sleeves again!

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Oh oh, Bishme is making that big rounded shoulder again.

NOoooo! 🫣

• Like 7
29 minutes ago, rlc said:

Rami was robbed. Kara Saun made an ill-fitting costume. 

Anna would have gone home weeks ago if Christian didn’t continually stop her from making the designs she wants to make. Delusion thy name is Anna, the most-beautiful woman in the world.

Farewell Fabio. I like him, but I’ve been underwhelmed by his work this season.

To be fair, Anna is quite beautiful, although not the most beautiful woman in the world. In their own way Laurance, Kara Saun, and Brittany are also beautiful.  Nina and Elaine are beautiful.  There are so many definitions of beauty.

• Like 9
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, susannot said:

I really didn't need to hear about Anna's bleeding nipples.  TMI.

And on what planet would said bleeding nipples be considered “cute”? Very bizarre segment.

I love Kara Saun, I didn’t hate Kara Saun’s look, but I would not have put it in the top. 

Sad that Fabio got sent home with his special fabric and his pictures from home. Grandma’s sewing machine, aww! And his look was definitely not worse than Korto’s ill-fitting napkins. They found nothing to like about that, yet they actually liked Fabio’s once they peeled off the midriff, so WTF? 

And then Fabio got screwed again by Christian’s scheduling conflict. What if he would have used his save on Fabio? (I know, probably not, but still.) I’m just bitter because of the obvious Korto favoritism from the judges.

And if Anna’s repeated ruffles were such a scandal, where was the outrage over Bishme’s unrelenting shoulder bubbles?

• Like 20

The save was not used on Fabio because it will be used on Anna or Brittany so Korto can again rant about the BS judging. LOL. And besides, the outfit itself was worth the auf and he had been circling the drain for too long. 

• Like 4

Judges, Seasons 1-19:

- “Be true to your aesthetic.”

- “I couldn’t see you in that design.”

- “There was no (insert name) in this at all.”

- “Where was (insert name) in this design?”

- Etc.

Guest judge tonight: “You have to be open to allowing your signature to change over time. Don’t get stuck.”

Argh! 

• Like 8
  • Applause 7
  • LOL 8
5 minutes ago, pally said:

Prajje's branded underwear aside, I remember reading that they actually film the runway twice so that the designer's comments are filmed after the judges see the designs for the first time

Yes, I've heard that when the designers are doing their whooping and clapping, the judges aren't there. I'm too lazy to try and see whether the camera angles support that (or at least don't blow that idea up).

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Lawrence did a bit of a cheat just adding that horrible waistband to the suit pant but not making the underwear.  I didn’t think that cumberbund(sp?) counted as lingerie.  

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
11 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I noticed was that there was a lot of puckering in the skirt

I think they were grading on a curve because of the short time frame of the challenge.

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I think they were grading on a curve because of the short time frame of the challenge.

I can buy that, and the fabric and structure were something very hard to sew. And it actually draped and flowed very well, probably because that’s his strength. Still don’t tell me you’re not seeing something so glaringly obvious!  Sorry, I’m like the British Sewing Bee scold. And I’ve never even seen British Sewing Bee, as it’s not available in the US. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
4 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Interesting that the 2 top looks were the most typically 'feminine' and pretty. 

I was mystified at Kara Saun's attempt to connect 'Tulsa Massacre' with 'Underwear as Outerwear'. JMO, but that seemed vaguely disrespectful to me. But apparently we must have some kind of 'struggle' story to capture the judges sympathy.

I didn’t understand the connection, either.  When this was filmed, was it the anniversary of the Tulsa Massacre?  She went from that, to 1920’s, to her garment.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
16 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I was mystified at Kara Saun's attempt to connect 'Tulsa Massacre' with 'Underwear as Outerwear'.

The only connection I could see was the date of the massacre, in 1921. It's a stretch. I think she just wanted to mention the massacre and this got her there.

• Like 17
  • Applause 1

I had previously heard about the Tulsa Massacre and while it was truly horrifying, I also didn't get how you could possibly connect it to this challenge.  I think, now that the numbers were added to the previous challenge, they're all going to jump on that in one way or another (tying their design to a social commentary).

I felt bad for Fabio.  Yes, his design was bad, but as he even said in the episode they just kept tearing him down and it crushed him.  No one else was getting the same comments as him and I really didn't see anything he was doing was any worse or different than anyone else.  Anna keeps repeating designs, Bishme keeps doing those weird bubble sleeves, Korto repeats things.  None of them were told to push or that they were safe or whatever.  I think Fabio's spirit was just crushed and he was ready to leave.

There were questions about why Korto redid her top.  I thought both tops were hideous, so I didn't really pay super close attention but she did have a quick comment about the first lace top getting ruined (during fitting?)

I didn't really like any of these.  I guess I'm too old.  Underwear as outerwear is not attractive to me.

• Like 20
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Interesting that the 2 top looks were the most typically 'feminine' and pretty. 

I was mystified at Kara Saun's attempt to connect 'Tulsa Massacre' with 'Underwear as Outerwear'. JMO, but that seemed vaguely disrespectful to me. But apparently we must have some kind of 'struggle' story to capture the judges sympathy.

Frankly, I am getting quite tired of the "stories" behind the design.  While I enjoy it, if I want a history lesson, I'll switch to the History Channel.  

12 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I didn’t understand the connection, either.  When this was filmed, was it the anniversary of the Tulsa Massacre?  She went from that, to 1920’s, to her garment.  

I didn't get the connection, either - something about her vision was a 1920's style garment, so that immediately went to the St. Louis Massacre.  

Actually, I got more of a 1930's vibe from Kera Saun's garment - it looked like something that Carole Lombard or another actress would have worn in a movie while in their stage set boudoir.  So, for me, it went a little costume-y.

• Like 20
  • Love 1

I blame Nina for Fabio leaving.  Got that man questioning everything so he turns out that ugly garment.  Can we please keep the guest judge and Paulina and let Nina stay whereever she was this week?

I wouldn't have been upset if Laurence went home because she just does what she wants--challenge be damned.  

I would've had Bishme, Prajje, Rami and Kara in the top.  

• Like 11
  • Applause 3