Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I don’t think comedy’s are ever put in the right category for any award show. The Emmys have this problem too. Do the oscars have a comedy category? I can’t remember if they do or not.

No, they don't.  That's why comedies have an uphill battle at the Oscars -- they're pitted directly against the more dramatic movies.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Yeah, watching Dick Cheney sinisterly plot his sinister plan is just weird to watch in the "comedy" category.

Trying to convince myself to go see a movie about Dick Cheney is extremely hard. And yeah, it being labeled a "comedy" doesn't really help. 

• Love 2

I've forgotten all the movies I've loved with Jeff Bridge - Fabulous Baker Boys, King Kong (out first Christmas Night movie!) and most of all, Starman.  I love Starman. 

• Love 10

Ok time to confess apparently my brain can't tell the difference between Jeff Bridges and Kurt Russell. This issue appeared last night when I tried to watch Tron: Legacy and been reinforced now with The Globes.

• Love 2
Just now, Bill1978 said:

Ok time to confess apparently my brain can't tell the difference between Jeff Bridges and Kurt Russell. This issue appeared last night when I tried to watch Tron: Legacy and been reinforced now with The Globes.

I have a friend who has the same problem. She was talking about 'that Santa movie on Netflix, and it has the same guy from Tron in it'.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Jeff is great and all but Orpah rocked this speech last year!

With Meryl Streeps's speech in 2017 and Oprah last year, I had figured Jeff wouldn't have much of a political slant to it and would have it laid back vibe.  

• Love 6

Jeff Bridges was quite the babe when he was younger. I've only ever known him as a middle aged-older guy, but he was pretty handsome.

.....And now I realized that my only contribution to this thread has been to point out hot guys. I am ashamed.

• Love 23
Just now, ProudMary said:

Jeff Bridges has been in SO many great films.  That montage was something else.

I kept watching the montage going, "He was in that?  How did I not know that??"  One of my favorites of his movies was barely visible--"The Contender."  Loved him as the president in that movie.

• Love 1
Just now, Sugar said:

Jeff Bridges was quite the babe when he was younger. I've only ever known him as a middle aged-older guy, but he was pretty handsome.

.....And now I realized that my only contribution to this thread has been to point out hot guys. I am ashamed.

Nothing wrong with noticing the scenery at the Golden Globes!

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

So Vice is in the comedy category while BoRhap and A Star is Born are in drama. Okay then.

Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born are dramas about musicians. This doesn't make them musicals. Mary Poppins Returns is a musical. I found Vice darkly funny but it's kind of in a weird place between comedy & drama. It also almost had a musical scene.

• Love 4

For some reason I'm thinking the final presenter that is normally kept secret is Sandra Bullock.  She has that indie movie on that streaming device thing that a few people have seen but no one is talking about it. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Bill1978 said:

And with Alfonso winning and the fact I cheered that Bradley Cooper lost, I guess it's official A Star is Born is the movie I am going to love to hate this award season.

I haven’t seen a Star is born. Mostly because I was getting sick of hearing or reading about how great it is. Like look I’m sure ya quite good but just everyone telling me it’s so great doesn’t drive me to see it. Sometimes I can’t with that. 

• Love 7
Just now, WhosThatGirl said:

I was curious if Bradley would win if people would be upset that he got a win for his first time directing.

I wish Barry Jenkins was nominated. I would have put Alfonso or Spike Lee before Bradley Cooper in this category. 

Just now, Sake614 said:

Damn Harrison Ford is still fine.

HE'S 76 - that's nuts! Also, while cranky sometimes, he still has a pretty sharp sense of humor. 

Fun fact: When I was 12, I had the biggest crush on Harrison  (he was like, 55 at the time), and when all my friends had posters of NSYNC and Jonathon Taylor Thomas on their bedroom walls, I had posters of Harrison Ford in all his middle-aged glory. Anytime I had a sleepover, my fellow 6th graders thought I was super weird.

• Love 6

I haven’t seen a Star is born. Mostly because I was getting sick of hearing or reading about how great it is. Like look I’m sure ya quite good but just everyone telling me it’s so great doesn’t drive me to see it. Sometimes I can’t with that. 

I didn't see it either. Movie Tickets are getting way too expensive. It was only one movie in October and Halloween won. I am happy with my choice.

Same here, which is odd because I really like Bradley Cooper.  And I like Lady Gaga.  (And I'm still pissed about her being robbed at the Oscars for the Best Original Song a couple of years ago.)  But there's just something about this movie...I dunno.  Maybe when it comes to video and I get to see it (and I think it's due to come out the week before the Oscars), I'll watch it and understand what all the fuss is about.  Until then...meh.

• Love 1

Yeah, I feel that way often. For some reason, I don 't necessarily feel that way about ASIB for some reason, but I've felt that way about movies like La La Land.

• Love 2

Roma is a gorgeous film and an incredible cinematic achievement for Cuaron.  He did EVERYTHING on the film.  All that said, I found the first half of the film quite boring but I'm glad I stuck with it because the second half is riveting.  You can't stop thinking about the film after you've seen it.  It just stays with you.  I'm pleased for him.  

And while I won't be upset if Roma wins the Oscar, I'm rooting for Black Panther. :)

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Sugar said:

HE'S 76 - that's nuts! Also, while cranky sometimes, he still has a pretty sharp sense of humor. 

Fun fact: When I was 12, I had the biggest crush on Harrison  (he was like, 55 at the time), and when all my friends had posters of NSYNC and Jonathon Taylor Thomas on their bedroom walls, I had posters of Harrison Ford in all his middle-aged glory. Anytime I had a sleepover, my fellow 6th graders thought I was super weird.

Working a Girl is one of my favorite movies. He is looking mighty fine in that film! 

• Love 4