Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: The Broken Circle

• Start Topic

I didn’t much care for this episode, I have to say. Fighting scenes, especially ones that go on and on like this one did, bore the life out of me. Though, on the plus side, at least they were visible. I don’t know how many fights scenes in the dark I have suffered through, with visibility being so bad I have to wait until the end to see who comes out standing. 

I kept expecting Carol Kane to go all Ghost of Christmas Present and start knocking people around. That’s all I could think of with her oh so cutesy character. I hope she doesn’t stick around. Not a fan of stunt casting. 

I’m not sure why all of a sudden Spock’s ears looked fake. The make up is usually better than that. Speaking of which, the Klingons all seemed like regular (to me) TNG, DS9 and later Klingons. What happened to all those weird Discovery Klingons? 

Regardless, it’s nice to have another Star Trek to watch, even though I’m going to be away for the next three weeks. I’ll have a nice chunk of episodes to look forward to when I get back. 

• Like 2

Sigh.

I'm going to enjoy SNW for what it is and not endlessly compare it to Discovery or TOSTOS was a product of its time; let's leave it there. Discovery is its own entity now, no longer connected to SNW. I'm not going to look for connective tissue for time travel shenanigans. Captain Burnham does not exist in SNW; that's it.

My understanding of this show is we get to see the adventures of the Enterprise before Kirk becomes her captain. We know that Pike will meet with a horrific accident at the end of his 5 year tour. Spock was probably the hottest mess a Human/Vulcan hybrid could be before he bonds to Kirk and becomes the Spock we are more familiar with, so I am cool with him shedding a tear and going on rampages.  He and Chapel aren't in a relationship now and may never actually be in one; they are basically pining for each other. Yes, M'Benga and Chapel could have been soldiers on the ground in a war with the Klingons before they went to Starfleet Medical. Yes, Khan's descendant can actually serve on the Enterprise. Yes, I cackled like a fiend at Speck's go to warp line. Is "Let's go!" taken? I want to see all those stories!

Since we know how this will all end, I fully intend to jump on board and enjoy the ride.

• Like 8
(edited)

I liked the episode though they ripped off The Undiscovered Country with a dash of The Search for Spock. While I like that Trek writers can play with more of the sandbox now, I wish they would show more originality instead of continuing to crib from far superior Star Trek. It's lazy.

I REALLY don't like their continuing portrayal of Spock. When Spick showed emotion on TOS, it was actually earned and meant something. It means nothing on this show because it happens ALL THE TIME on Strange New Worlds. Emotional Spock has been one of the worst things added to Star Trek these past 15 years. It's not the character and I'm not looking forward to another 9 episodes of Spock crying and acting goofy.

I really wish they would have made Chapel an original character. I don't see this version becoming the character she is in TOS.

That's my issue with SNW in general. I do like a lot the show. It's fun and what Trek should be in many ways. But the writing is incredibly lazy because the writers don't have confidence in their ability to tell original stories in an established universe. It contradicts the far better shows that came before it too much to be considered canon as far as I'm concerned. 

Edited by benteen
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
On 6/17/2023 at 7:06 PM, Jodithgrace said:

I didn’t much care for this episode, I have to say.

It was strangely paced, and weirdly proportioned. Get a mysterious distress signal from an old colleague ...and steal the Enterprise? A shuttle, maybe. The Enterprise? Very odd.

Then to show M'Benga and Chapel taking the green juice to become unstoppable fighting machines ... but have the fighting seem normal speed and pedestrian, with no real feats of skill or strength. They beat down rebel Klingons, but not any differently than anyone else with skills vs. a perhaps impoverished rebel group? Very restrained, especially for how long the fighting went on, good grief.

An unfinished Federation ship built from scratch that can fly through an ice field, shooting at the Enterprise and reducing the E's shields? That was ... sudden.

I won't get into Spock's wuv affair.

I did like the hints, when they weren't anvils, that M'Benga and Chapel saw hell in the prior war. And I liked how they seem to be painting Spock more fully, as an un-Vulcanlike Vulcan.

Also? Needed way more Pike.

• Like 3

If SNW is going to twist itself up in knots trying to line up with the canon of TOS, we need scenes between Spock and Uhura. OG Uhura had such a lovely, playful, flirtatious rapport with Spock. 

• Like 6
12 hours ago, Ottis said:

Then to show M'Benga and Chapel taking the green juice to become unstoppable fighting machines ... but have the fighting seem normal speed and pedestrian, with no real feats of skill or strength. They beat down rebel Klingons, but not any differently than anyone else with skills vs. a perhaps impoverished rebel group? Very restrained, especially for how long the fighting went on, good grief.

Maybe the juice doesn't enhance physical ability, but it suppresses moral inhibitions. That's how a doctor and a nurse can find themselves delivering potentially fatal beatdowns with no compunction.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Starchild said:

Maybe the juice doesn't enhance physical ability, but it suppresses moral inhibitions. That's how a doctor and a nurse can find themselves delivering potentially fatal beatdowns with no compunction.

Why does everyone seem to think doctors and nurses are morally constrained not to kill people? I mean, sure, some will struggle with assisted suicide, which is part of a medical practice (so the oath might apply), but in general they probably fall with the normal population in terms of shooting a home invader, defending their country, and so on. Some would be total pacifists and some not.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, marinw said:

If SNW is going to twist itself up in knots trying to line up with the canon of TOS, we need scenes between Spock and Uhura. OG Uhura had such a lovely, playful, flirtatious rapport with Spock. 

TOS!Spock had a list of women falling in love with him... If Kirk and Spock went to a bar, who would be the wingman?

image.png.0e98e99a8545bafca827c030cb1577f7.pngimage.png.2d0da2c85a33c0641d9b162af1d68731.pngimage.png.ac600a12122ad28b96bd01f1573bd1e8.png

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
12 minutes ago, Affogato said:

Why does everyone seem to think doctors and nurses are morally constrained not to kill people? I mean, sure, some will struggle with assisted suicide, which is part of a medical practice (so the oath might apply), but in general they probably fall with the normal population in terms of shooting a home invader, defending their country, and so on. Some would be total pacifists and some not.

Andrew Garfield [yes, not a Doctor] in Hacksaw Ridge is that middle ground... Thirsting for revenge against Japan, refuses to pull the trigger himself, but is satisfied saving his buddies so they can live to kill another day... 

4 minutes ago, paigow said:

Andrew Garfield [yes, not a Doctor] in Hacksaw Ridge is that middle ground... Thirsting for revenge against Japan, refuses to pull the trigger himself, but is satisfied saving his buddies so they can live to kill another day... 

Well, I think in MASH many of our protagonists didn't want to kill, too, but they didn't agree with the war and sought other solutions.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Affogato said:

Well, I think in MASH many of our protagonists didn't want to kill, too, but they didn't agree with the war and sought other solutions.

I have not watched any episodes in a long time, but one of their usual schemes was fraud- declaring recovered soldiers unfit for combat? Also, they were officers with more options than a corpsman...

On 6/16/2023 at 7:38 PM, Starchild said:

Not to mention, this is a doctor and a nurse. I think they did more asskicking in this one episode than every other Trek series' (and movies') medical professionals combined. Given the Hippocratic oath, it didn't sit right.

I think they were freed of any obligation to abide by whatever version of the Hippocratic oath that exist in this universe as soon as they were taken against their will. Plus, medical professionals have to do a lot of harm in the hope that the benefit will outweigh the cost.

On 6/17/2023 at 5:17 AM, marinw said:

Beverly Crusher kicked - or crushed- a lot of ass in Season Three of Picard, but there was a context for that. Just because you are a doctor, nurse, or some other medical person doesn't mean that you can't or won't fight. There are a few Docs in my Karate dojo. I do agree that it was out of character for both of Chapel and M'Benga. And they were fighting freaking Klingons!

Beverly took a level of bad-ass from the TNG days. I still remember in the Q episode with Robin Hood she and Troi could barely be arsed to hit someone over the head with flower pots. But what she did in Picard -- firing a phaser shotgun (?) a bunch of times is as you said different from beating up what had to be at least a dozen Klingons barehanded. And for this to work, none of the Klingons had phasers, bat'leths, mek'leths (sp?) or any other kind of weapon. 

1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

But what she did in Picard -- firing a phaser shotgun (?)a bunch of times is as you said different from beating up what had to be at least a dozen Klingons barehanded. And for this to work, none of the Klingons had phasers, bat'leths, mek'leths (sp?) or any other kind of weapon. 

Afterwards those Klingons must have been humiliated by the sheer dishonor of having their Klingon asses handed to them by a pair of juiced-up Humans.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, marinw said:

Afterwards those Klingons must have been humiliated by the sheer dishonor of having their Klingon asses handed to them by a pair of juiced-up Humans.

"It is a good day to die...of embarrassment."

Seriously, they are probably lucky to have been blown up real good by the Enterprise. Because justifying losing at the 6-1 advantage they had would be pretty impossible.

"The frail blonde one had the heart of a warrior!"

"The dark one must have been half-Klingon at least!"

• LOL 10
(edited)

The fight scene would have been slightly more plausible if it was La'an. She may be a tiny human but she is also a security officer with years of martial arts and combat training. Number One could probably hold her own with Klingons too.

(Here's hoping La'an lives longer than the majority of TOS era redshirts )

Edited by marinw
  • Like 1
On 6/15/2023 at 5:21 PM, marinw said:

Chrisjen Avasarala. (God I miss her)

You’re not alone there!

Pelia’s accent is annoying but I like her attitude.

I really hated having so little of Pike and Una in this episode.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, marinw said:

Imagine sitting through one of Pelia’s engineering lectures.

Is anyone going to be surprised if Scotty gets gender switched? Because why not? The final TOS episode was about Janice Lester and her Freaky Friday with Kirk to prove that women were qualified to command starships... Except this version of Pike has a girlfriend that is ALREADY a Captain. 

• Like 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, paigow said:

Is anyone going to be surprised if Scotty gets gender switched? Because why not? The final TOS episode was about Janice Lester and her Freaky Friday with Kirk to prove that women were qualified to command starships... Except this version of Pike has a girlfriend that is ALREADY a Captain. 

Even within TOS, it would have made little sense for Starfleet to literally have a rule that no women could be captain when Pike's Number One was a woman. It's best to just either decanonize Turnabout Intruder or just figure Janice Lester was just cray-cray and Kirk was humoring her.

That said, I would pay at least a few dollars for the writers to troll that kind of fan by introducing a Moira Scott who loved engineering and tech manuals and what not. Particularly if she was like a bizarro Burnham, where she was some Vulcan or some other race and adopted by the Scotts and gets credit for teaching Scotty everything he knew.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Like 3
23 minutes ago, paigow said:

Yeah, I think most Star Trek fans either completely disown that episode or figure that Kirk was just placating her. "Yeah, Starfleet doesn't allow female captains. Sure, you lunatic. Oh, don't want to say 'lunatic.' Yes, you're right, you totally 'sane' person. It's too bad Starfleet doesn't allow female captains."

• Like 2
(edited)

Yeah, the whole no female captain thing was ridiculous when the episode aired and that was disowned early on by Roddenberry (and he was no great champion of women either). Women have been commanding Navy vessels in the US alone since about the 1980s so why would Starfleet have a rule against that? I know I go off a lot about retcons but this "rule" should be left on the scrap heap and thankfully has been.

Edited by benteen
  • Like 2
(edited)

There was the Romulan Commander! We can handwave the whole Lester thing this way: she was delusional about woman not being captains. She in fact  couldn't be a captain due to her mental health concerns, not her gender. At least that's the way I retcon it.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 3

Until 2 years before, nobody except TOS!Spock knew what Romulans looked like. And the cloaking device mission was super classified, so Janice not knowing that Romulan females commanded ships is understandable. She might be crazy, but deserves a pass on this...

• Like 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, paigow said:

Until 2 years before, nobody except TOS!Spock knew what Romulans looked like. And the cloaking device mission was super classified, so Janice not knowing that Romulan females commanded ships is understandable.

Sorry, I should have been more clear: The TOS writers did allow female commanders, just not Human ones. Because that would have been weird.🙄

Edited by marinw
  • LOL 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, benteen said:

Yeah, the whole no female captain thing was ridiculous when the episode aired and that was disowned early on by Roddenberry (and he was no great champion of women either). Women have been commanding Navy vessels in the US alone since about the 1980s so why would Starfleet have a ruke against that? I know I go off a lot about retcons but this "rule" should be left on the scrap heap and thankfully has been.

Well, in The Cage there's a scene where Pike grumbles about how he can't get used to having women on the bridge (except Number One, who's "different").  Unsurprisingly they cut that from the Menagerie, but there were still plenty of episodes where the women cowered while the guys did stuff.  I saw the TOS episode with Sam Kirk, and of course the female red shirt is unarmed when they beam down.

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 2

Maybe I had too much bloodwine but I liked it 🤷‍♂️ After everything that went down in this franchise's cinematic universe and in DISCO I really don't care for canon anymore and look at this as its own stand-alone show. From that POV it was quite intriguing to see that Mbenga and Chapel have a dark back story complete with some PTSD. And I find this version of Spock more interesting than classical Spock *shields up* because he seems more human.

It's also possible that I simply liked it because Spock's 'Steal the Enterprise' gave me fond Leverage flashbacks.

• Like 2
On 6/19/2023 at 11:26 AM, Affogato said:

Why does everyone seem to think doctors and nurses are morally constrained not to kill people?

I guess it depends on how broadly “First, do no harm” functions in a doctor’s life. Sure, that may be a question of individual application, but it seems to be a reasonable base assumption. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I guess it depends on how broadly “First, do no harm” functions in a doctor’s life. Sure, that may be a question of individual application, but it seems to be a reasonable base assumption. 

“First, do no harm” isn’t actually part of the Hippocratic Oath. Plus not all medical school graduate even take the Hippocratic Oath. 

Star Trek has used the quote so I guess we can say it does apply to the doctors in the show. Although I put it in the same category as the prime directive, a nice idea that gets tossed out the window all the damn time. 

I stand corrected. I was sure I had seen an (old) version of the oath that began with “First, do no harm…” I believe the oath did form  part of my brother’s medical training.

(edited)
On 6/21/2023 at 9:49 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Even within TOS, it would have made little sense for Starfleet to literally have a rule that no women could be captain when Pike's Number One was a woman. It's best to just either decanonize Turnabout Intruder or just figure Janice Lester was just cray-cray and Kirk was humoring her.

Oh, I'm not so sure.   This was the same Starfleet that decided female crewmen should wear miniskirts and go-go boots in space.  Not to mention, we never did see a female captain even once in three seasons unless you count the female commander on the Romulan ship (who would have thought the Romulans would be progressive?)  But apparently even she was just dying for an opportunity to slip into a sexy dress and "transform herself into a woman" so Spock could have his way with her.

Otherwise, most of the women encountered by the Star Trek crew in its five-year mission were damsels just waiting to be deflowered by Kirk and his merry band of inter-galactic womanizers.

This is also the show that portrayed women as the cause of many a man's woes:

Spock and T'Pring (Amok Time). 

Flint, Kirk and Rayna (Requiem for Methuselah). 

Tyree and Nona (A Private Little War). 

Kodos and Lenore Karidian (Conscience of the King). 

Korob and Sylvia (Catspaw). 

McCoy and Nancy Crater (The Man Trap -- the title even says it for Pete's sake!). 

Adonis and Carolyn (Who Mourns for Adonis). 

Harry Mudd and his bitch-on-wheels wife (I, Mudd). 

The imorgs and the morgs (For The World Is Hollow and I Have Touched The Sky).  

Losira and her fatal touch (That Which Survives).  

Diana Muldaur who intentionally makes Spock go blind (Is There In Truth No Beauty?). 

Dr. Roger Brown and Andrea (What Are Little Girls Made Of?).

Marla McGivers, whose love of Khan leads her to betray the whole Enterprise crew (Space Seed).

Leila, who manipulates Spock via a snootful of spores to betray Kirk (This Side of Paradise).

And so on.

When Janice Lester announced in the final episode that Starfleet forbids female captains, I believed her, because in one way or another, Star Trek had been showing us all along what place women occupied in the universe of TOS.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, millennium said:

Oh, I'm not so sure.   This was the same Starfleet that decided female crewmen should wear miniskirts and go-go boots in space.  Not to mention, we never did see a female captain even once in three seasons unless you count the female commander on the Romulan ship (who would have thought the Romulans would be progressive?)  But apparently even she was just dying for an opportunity to slip into a sexy dress and "transform herself into a woman" so Spock could have his way with her.

Otherwise, most of the women encountered by the Star Trek crew in its five-year mission were damsels just waiting to be deflowered by Kirk and his merry band of inter-galactic womanizers.

McCoy and Nancy Crater (The Man Trap -- the title even says it for Pete's sake!). 

Diana Muldaur who intentionally makes Spock go blind (Is There In Truth No Beauty?). 

Marla McGivers, whose love of Khan leads her to betray the whole Enterprise crew (Space Seed).

Leila, who manipulates Spock via a snootful of spores to betray Kirk (This Side of Paradise).

And so on.

When Janice Lester announced in the final episode that Starfleet forbids female captains, I believed her, because in one way or another, Star Trek had been showing us all along what place women occupied in the universe of TOS.

There's no question that TOS as a show was limited overall by the sexism of its time. However, that is different from the (mostly) egalitarian organization of Starfleet allowing women to be commanders of starships, but not captains. There is no reason I can see why Starfleet would make such a distinction when it is so obviously hypocritical and detrimental.

Because of the nature of TOS (lone ship boldly going where no one had gone before), we do not see many other Starfleet captains or superior officers at all during the course of TOS. (Of the top of my head, I could only recall two other Starfleet captains -- Pike from the Cage/The Menagerie and Tracey from The Omega Glory, and even with some research I could only find a handful of others that were part of Court-Martial  -- and maybe a half-dozen admirals and commodores) So I don't know if we can extrapolate from our not having seen a woman captain during the three seasons of TOS that it was literally against regulations that a woman couldn't become captain. We see in Star Trek IV that at that point Starfleet did allow a woman to become a captain. It's possible that between the end of TOS S.3 and Star Trek IV Starfleet changed its regulations, but it seems more likely to me that it always had.  People's mileage will vary.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, millennium said:

And so on.

Morgs / Imorgs are actually from Spocks Brain

I am conflicted about this series. There are a lot of things that I like, but there are others that bother me enough to take the joy out of it.

I wanted more Pike and more Number One in this episode.

Noonien-Singh was my least favourite character last season and at the end of it, I was hoping that she would be gone, at least for a few episodes.

I will miss last year's chief engineer a lot but I do like Pelia.

On 6/18/2023 at 11:50 AM, benteen said:

I REALLY don't like their continuing portrayal of Spock. When Spick showed emotion on TOS, it was actually earned and meant something. It means nothing on this show because it happens ALL THE TIME on Strange New Worlds. Emotional Spock has been one of the worst things added to Star Trek these past 15 years. It's not the character and I'm not looking forward to another 9 episodes of Spock crying and acting goofy.

I really wish they would have made Chapel an original character. I don't see this version becoming the character she is in TOS.

Spock in TOS was the first crush my tween self had on a TV character and I was a Spock/Christine shipper. But this emo character is not the Spock i liked and SNW sold me on T'Pring last season. Hands off Nurse Chappel, you know the guy is taken. And especially stop making him an emotional mess.  (Didn't TOS Spock control his emotions through meditation and strength of will? What is this neural block nonsense?)

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, tkc said:

I would like the ship to go. Now.

😉

Grins. and I would like the ship to stay.  I like their chemistry  and am enjoying them while I can. I realize original recipe show canon is going to bite me in the ass sooner rather than later.

• Like 2
(edited)

Enjoyed La’an’s homage to Raiders of the Lost Ark and Ortegas flying the Enterprise like the Falcon (which it can’t) but anyway…

‘Why couldn’t M’Benga and Chapel have done some environmental hacking to take out the Klingons because, okay you’re jacked up on legal PCP or whatever, you still aren’t physically stronger than a Klingon so huh? (To be fair, I was fast forwarding through most of it so maybe they explained it?)

Spock should have said “take us out” as he did in Wrath of Khan. Although…

On 6/22/2023 at 8:26 PM, MissLucas said:

It's also possible that I simply liked it because Spock's 'Steal the Enterprise' gave me fond Leverage flashbacks.

Yes, Seven would have been proud.

I wish we could have seen Pike getting debriefed on all this, that would have been fun. “I leave you all alone for three days…”

But really, it was a mess, especially no one helping Chapel and MBenga when they were beamed up (is the Enterprise The Heart of Gold now?). Especially Starfleet implying La’an was on leave so they shouldn’t help because she was former Starfleet - what was that?

Also, Kane’s character said she was what kind of alien? I couldn’t catch it.

Edited by ML89
  • Like 1
(edited)
48 minutes ago, ML89 said:

But really, it was a mess, especially no one helping Chapel and MBenga when they were beamed up (is the Enterprise The Heart of Gold now?).

“…to seek out new life…”

"Life. Don't talk to me about life."

48 minutes ago, ML89 said:

Also, Kane’s character said she was what kind of alien? I couldn’t catch it.

I believe she is a Lanthanite.... although, she might have said "Actinite"? I always get those rows of the periodic table mixed up... 😁

Edited by tkc
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)
On 6/19/2023 at 9:35 AM, Starchild said:

That’s … illogical. You don’t need to take an inhibitor to fight for your life,  doctor or no. TV is filled with the trope of the pacifist who finally has to fight, and never requires an inhibitor. Using one takes away from the impact and meaning of the act. The scene seemed to indicate the juice would allow them to fight better to escape, and also implied there was a toll in taking it. But the whole thing was played so blandly, it was hard to tell what any of it meant. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, tkc said:

I believe she is a Lanthanite.... although, she might have said "Actinite"? I always get those rows of the periodic table mixed up... 😁

It was Lanthanite.  Presumably, like the semi-row in the periodic table, it comes from the Greek λανθανειν (lanthanein), "to lie hidden".

• Like 1
1 hour ago, QuantumMechanic said:

It was Lanthanite.  Presumably, like the semi-row in the periodic table, it comes from the Greek λανθανειν (lanthanein), "to lie hidden".

Someone has already put together a meme of her character in Taxi being her "incarnation" on Earth...

• Like 1

I thought that this was a pretty good episode but a sort of weird one for the season premiere. All the cast was separated, the plot was messy, it doesn't really give me an idea of what this season will be like, I had fun watching it but it felt rather off. 

Chapel and M'Benga going berserk on those Klingons was pretty wild, since when are they these superbadass warriors who can mow through Klingons like grass. 

I think an issue was the lack of Pike, he's really the glue who holds the whole show together.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, tkc said:

"Life. Don't talk to me about life."

A nickelodeon?

I'm very much sick of Klingons getting their butts handed to them by humans time and time again across all Treks, green stuff or no. The show uses hulking actors/actresses for most Klingons, has them in platform boots to tower over humans. TNG used NBA players and even had a great scene where one Klingon says to Riker (i think, or about him) "Do humans realize how flimsy they are" or something to that effect....YET it is a Trek constant that almost any starfleet officer, even those who appear to be 5'2" 120 pounds, can go toe-to-toe with the biggest, baddest, Klingpns. I'd much rather the show actually play towards how humans handle day-to-day interactions with a species that generally could rip them limb from limb. 

rant over...

As to the ep, bizarre to have permier with so little Pike. The only think I did like was the looks between Chapel and Mbenga when they jetted out into space- definitely looked like they were about to kiss! A love triangle between Spock, Mbenga, and Chapel I could deal with!

• Like 3
  • Love 1