Type keyword(s) to search

Shiny Happy People: Duggar Family Secrets - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Is Miss Balls in the docuseries? If not, I wonder how she feels about Jen being in it.

I was starting to feel this series would have zero educational OR entertainment possibilities for me, but you have given me hope that at the very least, Balls is having regular meltdowns at her lack of invite. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 14
2 hours ago, lascuba said:

I was starting to feel this series would have zero educational OR entertainment possibilities for me, but you have given me hope that at the very least, Balls is having regular meltdowns at her lack of invite. Thank you.

She claims she was approached by the producers. No reason given for why she didn't participate, but I bet it's because she wouldn't be paid. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 5
  • LOL 2
22 hours ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

My hopes are high; my expectations lower.

in my dreams, I want this documentary to be a scorched-earth takedown of this family and this cult. I want the IRS involved. I want JB to finish destitute, such that his kids and their spouses will be forced to find legitimate, paid employment. I want this series shown at Pest’s prison, so his fellow inmates will see it and lose their (what I perceive to be) blasé attitudes toward him.

I want this vile fundamentalist world to collapse in a roar of flames.

With regard to them finding legitimate paid employment, what kind of jobs could the kids and spouses really get? They're uneducated barely literate people. They'd probably wind up on the public dole. 

But I agree with everything you said. 

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

She claims she was approached by the producers. No reason given for why she didn't participate, but I bet it's because she wouldn't be paid. 

That one would start a gofundme to pay the producers to allow her to participate.

• Like 6
  • LOL 6
17 hours ago, lascuba said:

That one would start a gofundme to pay the producers to allow her to participate.

If she was approached by the producers, they probably quickly realized that she had no real information or insights that would be useful to them and decided to pass on her.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, quickjessie said:

This doc is really being promoted hard.  Yahoo is my home page and there is a new topic on it almost every day for the last few weeks.  Here's today's headline:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/arent-prepared-disturbing-shiny-happy-145800026.html

There's an interesting link in the article about "God Pods" which describes how IBLP has proliferated in privately-owned prisons since the early 2000s.   https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2005/oct/15/beyond-the-god-pod/

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 3
(edited)

There's a YT channel called Down the Rabbit Hole at Bedtime that has some different info on the docu-series and the Duggars in general.  She did a dedicated video surrounding Kaliegh Holt's "courtship" with Pest.  While she doesn't have the following of WOACB, she's so much more pleasant to listen to than KJ.

Edited by sixlets
  • Like 3
  • Useful 7
14 minutes ago, kaleidoscope said:

Does anyone know how will this four part series be presented?  I don't have Amazon Prime.  If I sign up for a 30 day free trial, will that cover the entire documentary?

Hopefully they'll drop all 4 episodes at once. I haven't watched any of their previous docuseries, so I don't know how they operate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
13 minutes ago, kaleidoscope said:

Does anyone know how will this four part series be presented?  I don't have Amazon Prime.  If I sign up for a 30 day free trial, will that cover the entire documentary?

It's not clear, they might drop it all at once or possibly 2 episodes on the premiere date. If they don't drop it all at once, then they will release it weekly, so maybe wait a week or two after the premiere or wait until all 4 episodes have been released, then do the 30 day trial

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 2
22 minutes ago, DanaK said:

It's not clear, they might drop it all at once or possibly 2 episodes on the premiere date. If they don't drop it all at once, then they will release it weekly, so maybe wait a week or two after the premiere or wait until all 4 episodes have been released, then do the 30 day trial

That reminds me of my plan back in May 2019 to subscribe to HBO for only a month as I figured I could binge the last season of Game of Thrones, the Chernobyl series, along with the Deadwood movie.  Somehow I'm still subscribed, and now have access to all the Discovery+ junk under Max.  Joy joy.

Getting back to the subject of Prime, if you want to order stuff from Amazon, you'll have free and faster delivery.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 2
On 5/26/2023 at 3:41 PM, sixlets said:

There's a YT channel called Down the Rabbit Hole at Bedtime that has some different info on the docu-series and the Duggars in general.  She did a dedicated video surrounding Kaliegh Holt's "courtship" with Pest.  While she doesn't have the following of WOACB, she's so much more pleasant to listen to than KJ.

I like her.  Except for her lemur hate.  Don't get that.  HA!

• LOL 2
19 hours ago, kaleidoscope said:

We promise to let you know Friday what the Prime does so you can plan.   

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have Prime, but all I can get is the trailer.  I don’t understand why they are so secretive about how it’ll be presented?  

ETonline seems to think that all four episodes will drop on June 2nd - pretty much what Amazon did with LuLaRich.

• Like 1
  • Useful 6
53 minutes ago, quarks said:

ETonline seems to think that all four episodes will drop on June 2nd - pretty much what Amazon did with LuLaRich.

Yes, I asked on Reddit and was told it would all drop at the same time.  Which, BTW, will probably be late on June 1st for those of us West of the eastern time zone. 

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This is a good article in a respected paper.  So it seems that Jill does say that "JB forged my signature",  but doesn't really mean that when the context is given. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
15 hours ago, lascuba said:

I still can't get over Amy being in this thing. And WHY is her husband there?

She’s such a thirsty famewhore.  Both she and her husband are repulsive, IMO.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I totally believe JB&M tried to get the upper hand and control TLC money, but Derick has told so many versions of this same story that I find it hard to believe this version. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
18 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I totally believe JB&M tried to get the upper hand and control TLC money, but Derick has told so many versions of this same story that I find it hard to believe this version. 

The thing is this time they have receipts. I honestly see all the kidults and spouses signing the contract without reading it. Why not? They have been told their entire lives that JB is their umbrella of protection, even as adults.

He bragged on a TH that if he said he had a concern about Derick Jill would terminate the relationship. Isn’t that what happened when he told Jinger about his concerns about Jeremy? Jinger didn’t want conflict and said she couldn’t continue. The 19 are beyond screwed psychologically. 

• Like 13
  • Sad 9
38 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I know he has, but I believe what they are saying right now. I chalk it up to a lot of confusion, he was ill at the time, going thru every thing with the news about FF..... I feel like they were probably very lost and confused and dealing with the disillusionment of someone you love and/or admire turning out to be a s---. 

• Like 13
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, SMama said:

The thing is this time they have receipts. I honestly see all the kidults and spouses signing the contract without reading it. Why not? They have been told their entire lives that JB is their umbrella of protection, even as adults.

He bragged on a TH that if he said he had a concern about Derick Jill would terminate the relationship. Isn’t that what happened when he told Jinger about his concerns about Jeremy? Jinger didn’t want conflict and said she couldn’t continue. The 19 are beyond screwed psychologically. 

What receipts? Contracts that they signed? That was part of one of Derick's previous stories. Of course not the one when he said he couldn't be fired because he didn't have a contract, lol. They don't have proof they didn't read what they signed. They don't have proof they didn't want the birth filmed. IMO, Derick is once again revising history to fit the narrative he wants.

Jill signing a contract without reading it makes 100% sense. Not so much Derick. And I'm sure they both knew it had something to do with the show. If Jill wrote the book without Derick I would give every word way more weight. But Derick - nope. Derick is a liar who lies.

All that to say, I still believe JB is an asshole who definitely took advantage of his kids in regard to filming.

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I know he has, but I believe what they are saying right now. I chalk it up to a lot of confusion, he was ill at the time, going thru every thing with the news about FF..... I feel like they were probably very lost and confused and dealing with the disillusionment of someone you love and/or admire turning out to be a s---. 

According to this version they signed the contract when they married. Derick didn't have surgery on his mouth until a year later. And the FF scandal was after that.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
Just now, GeeGolly said:

According to this version they signed the contract when they married. Derick didn't have surgery on his mouth until a year later. And the FF scandal was after that.

Thanks.... they both trusted JB and then things started to fall apart. 

• Like 11
1 minute ago, Notabug said:

In the article, there are copies of the top page of the contract which lists JB and Michelle, all their kids, Anna and all the grandkids up to that point.  Derrick's name doesn't appear in the listing of parties to the contract.  There is also part of a signature page where Michelle signs on behalf of all the minor 19 kids.  Anna signs for herself and for her kids and then the adult kids are listed.  There is no signature for Derick, although the page is cut off.

I guess if Jill signed for herself and Derrick wasn't named or signed, that could be the reason Derrick claimed he never had a contract.  If the contract allowed TLC to film Jill's wedding and any births, etc; then Derrick was along for the ride.

So then Derick lied in the other versions of the story when he said he had a contract. Either way he lied multiple times.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1