Type keyword(s) to search

S13: Fashion Week Discussion

• Start Topic

How exactly do you qualify to be part of fashion week? What's the selection process. I used to think it was something exclusive, but if Hernan has shown several times, can it be all that selective?

It's just a matter of having enough money. IIRC, Hernan mentioned that his grandfather backed him financially. 

• Love 1

Here's Hernan's Fall 2014 runway show. Well, the end of it, I assume.

That's a lotta empty space between the seats.

I enjoyed watching the guy who looked like he wanted to go to sleep and then got up and started leaving almost as soon as the last model passed him.

• Love 1

Have you seen Malan's wiki page? If it's the right one, damn. Producers got lucky with that find.

Not yet, but I'll go look now--never think of wiki for some reason.

I LOVE his show!  I really like the prints, and aquamarine is my favorite color.

Edited by magpye29
  • Love 1

You can see the collections here.

It's a bit confusing as the images are out of sequence, but the designers accompany their collections at the end so you can match them up.

Sean's collection features the burnt orange fringe pieces.

Sandhya had the green lipstick and plastic embellishments.

Korina did the boxy leather pieces in bright colors.

Amanda's collection was in shades of navy and brown with color blocked piecing.

Char's was mainly black and white with a busy pop art print.

Fade's was bad 90's German tourist.

The rest just sort of ran together in a big black/white/gray blur.

Edited by Dean Learner
  • Love 1

Agreed. I only responded to one or two of the looks, and that's pretty sad. Even scarier, I think that the one look I liked the most came from Emily. It was a shorter version of the look she made for the jewelry challenge last night.

For what are supposed to be spring collections, nothing I saw really screamed "SPRING!!!" at me.

edited because subject/verb agreement is important, even on message boards. :D

Edited by Sew Sumi

If Sean wins with a collection of weird fringe, Amanda's going to eat her liver.

Which would be amusing. I kind of like his orange fringe dress, even though I hate orange. I could never wear it because 1, where would I wear a dress like that? and 2, orange looks awful on me. But I thought the color looked great on that model.

I hope Emily doesn't win. I thought her collection looked awful -- although most everyone else's did, too.

When I was 16-17, I would have loved Fade's collection and wanted to wear most of it. I'm 46 now, so although I appreciate the fact that teenage me would have wanted them, I don't love them in the same way I would have then and I don't think most of the outfits should be worn by adult women. I suppose that is the definition of junior.

• Love 1

Alexander's is kind of "meh" with horrible styling.
Amanda's is not as annoying and fringe-y as I expected.
Char's is nice but I fear too urban to truly wow the judges.

Fäde's - Reminds me Alexandria from last season only in color. I get what they are going for. Sort industrial meets urban.
Emily - NOPE just ugly
Kini - I really like. Downside is he has a few pieces that look like they would be more successful in a different material/ That flouncy dress in the middle and the last gown are 2 prime examples. The fabrics they are rendered in make the dresses look too heavy and bulky.

My guess for final 3 Kini, Korina and Sean. I think if Sandhya was a finalist they would have advised her against that lipstick on her models.
Korina - Very nice but it reminds me of the Louis Vuitton Spring 2013 collection. That may count against her.
Sandhya - I like it. It's colorful, fun & very much what I'd expect from her. My fav look is the blue top with the yellow bottom mixed print. I want to see that on a celeb on the RC.
Sean - After all the free press Heidi gave him, he'd be a fool not to remind people of it in his collection. Still I find his collection a bit safe and repetitive.

My guess for final 3 Fäde, Korina and Sean. I think if Sandhya was a finalist they would have advised her against that lipstick on her models.

Believe it or not I liked Sandhya's collection the best of all.  It would be my personal choice for the win. I particularly like the blue top with the yellow bottom mixed print set.

Fäde's collection reminds me of Alexander Wang designs. It's not my cup of tea, but there is  very NYC market for that sort of thing.

Overall I think Korina, Sandhya, Fäde and Sean have the best collections.

• Love 1

Alexander's, Char's, Amanda's and Emily's are straight up horrifying. Kini's is surprisingly basic and expected. Sean has some really nice pieces, but most of it is drab.

Sandhya's got a little too awkward for me at times. Some of those pieces are not so much interesting as they are ugly. Korina's surprised the heck out of me, and even though the graphic color blocking has been done to death, I'm fairly confident that she's a finalist. 

Unsurprisingly, I love fäde's. I'm trying not to be biased because he's awesome, but seriously, that collection just made me smile after all the drab crap the others brought. It had personality, it had polish, it had COLOR, and there is no way in hell he's winning.  But I'm glad he did that.

I think Sandhya, Korina and Sean are in the finale, with Sandhya as the winner.

Edited by Xazeal
  • Love 1
I think Sandhya, Korina and Sean are in the finale, with Sandhya as the winner.

I was leaning towards that, but something about Sandhya's collection reminds me of Elena's from a season 10. I really liked her collection as well but was never a finalist. Sandhya's is still one of my favorite collections, but I think I think I need to see how things shake out over the next few weeks before I'm definitely decided. Part of me is worried that we are being set up for a Sean win and based on this collection, he definitely doesn't deserve the win.

Edited by Milaxx

Higher powers help me...there's some of Korina's that I like.  I enjoy that it's not SW blanket looking, and while there are some pieces that are a bit too Speed Racer for my taste, there's a couple of outfits there that the Mini Malotte and her friends would love.  

There are some elements of Emily's that I like, but on a whole I don't think it's a win.  Same with Kini.  Alexander is still boring up close.  And Sean too, though I would bet he's in the final.  All that damn fringe...I saw enough of that on Cher back in the 70's.  I can appreciate updates but after awhile it's as if Cousin It's offspring hit the runway.  

I covet Fade's messenger bags.  I sure hope that even if he's not in the final group that enough industry people are inspired by his collection and he has lots of offers.

TLO

I liked Korina's and Amanda's the best. I wish Kini had used a touch of color somewhere. His collection is nice but nothing special.

With the underwhelming level of talent this season I expect 4 designers to "show" at Fashion Week: Sean, Korina, Sandhya and Amanda. I think Sandhya will win because the judges keep stressing their desire for something new and different.

Edited by crimsongrl

Like that first shirt in Fade's collection, I say "No Thanks". With the exception of one or two items, this is the worst looking bunch of crap from the least talented group ever on PR. And it might be unkind to say so, but most of the models are very...........unfortunate looking. The make-up on Alexander's models actually made me nauseous. 

• Love 5

SO. MUCH. FRINGE. 

At this point, only Sandhya's and Sean's collections look like finalist collections.

I actually really like Sandhya's. Her collection was the only one I stopped, analyzed, and thought about. I love the color and the use of printed words along with the supporting design elements. It made me feel like I was reading a book and actively picturing the story in my mind. Sean's was pretty, but we've seen those designs before many, many, times. 

I think the powers that be must be "dye"ing to have one of their gimmicks amount to something.  They'll probably give the win to Amanda so they can crow over the bringing a designer back shtick. I think Amanda's gotten a winners edit, but I could see also see a redemption to winner edit coming up for Korina.   I wish there wasn't so much black and white throughout the collections.  And I am really sick of the color blocking!  I wouldn't mind seeing Sandhya win but won't be torn up if she doesn't.

• Love 1

Sandhya had the only collection that felt new and fresh as well as spring like.  Sean's orange is a popular color but at least he used bright springy colors.  Amanda's looked far more like a fall collection than spring.  I liked Kini's stuff but there was nothing new or inspiring in that collection.

I think the finalists will be Sean, Sandhya, and either Korina or Amanda. 

I think it's pretty much always the people who got the inexplicable wins and screentime, so I think you've got it.

• Love 1

Sean = just UGH. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm picking on him. But he turned out to be a one-way monkey after all. Give him one win with a blue car wash dress and BOOM! His entire collection is fringe.

I guess Fade's is skewed a little junior, but I love the originality compared to the other collections.

I'm sure he won't win, but that's okay. I'm wishing success for him as a designer and since none of the other winners, with the possible exception of Christian, has managed to ride their win to accomplish anything, I'm okay with Fade not winning.

Maybe he'll be like Malan and Michael Costello and we'll see him at Fashion Week on his own in a year or two.

Emily - all over the place and not that great to look at

Korina - just didt't like hers.  looked very amaturish

Sandhya - liked hers and it was cohesive

Fade - very edgy and cohesive; like his

Alex - yawn

Amanda - liked the color choices; hated the designs

Sean - way too much fringe and too boring

Char - loved her colors and full spectrum of designs -may have issues with cohesiveness

Kini - liked his designs but were a little too safe

I seem to follow only a handful of former contestants who love their gowns on Instagram. As I've viewed their NYFW posts, I can't help thinking about this current crop. Evening wear or not, I struggle to see any of this season's group summoning the kind of vision and sheer artistry at similar points in their future careers.

Short time frames challenge, obviously, on the show. But this group just doesn't strike me as having the kind of raw talent that made previous seasons so enjoyable.

Edited by RealityCowgirl

I'm beginning to narrow down my choices. I'm thinking Sandhya, Kini, Sean for finalist. I would say Sean was the winner but his finale collection is a real letdown. Weird lips aside, the only collection I am impressed with is Sandhya's.

• Love 1

I liked Korina's, Sandhya's, and Amanda's collections best. Char used some great prints and colors! Sean was all about the fringe but I did like some of his looks. Those are the ones that stood out the most to me.

I hated Emily's. Too much see-through. Too bad, because I generally like her.

My opinion could change when I see the actual show. Many times the collections are underwhelming in photos but are terrific once I see models in the outfits actually moving on the runway.

I was finally able to see the collections. I'm recovering from a concussion and moving colors are still hard. What's with the shiney fabric so many designers used? What is that? My thoughts:

KORINA

It reminded me of Speed Racer. I like color blocking and have a few items but the blocking is strategically placed to enhance my shape and not there just to be there. 

SANDHYA

Loved the prints. I'm surprised I would wear some of her pieces. 

SEAN

Too much fringe.  Liked the Orange dress, though. I look mahvelous in Orange. 

ALEXANDER

Loved the grey fabric. Some interesting things but not enough color for spring. 

AMANDA

A few ok pieces but hate the bulbous dresses; much prefer fitted, flattering shapes. 

CHAR

Again, some interesting things but not a cohesive collection.

EMILY

Shiny! Reminds me of the 1930s, and not the glam of Hollywood. More like the depression clothing from Dorothea Lange's pictures. 

FÄDE

I like it. The pieces are interchangeable and cohesive. I would wear his dresses. 

KINI

I was disappointed. I expected more from him. It was nice enough but nothing I can't find now. 

Sigh. Remember when each collection was expected to have a finale/wow piece? And collections that (usually) provided context for that piece? At best, the better ones here are filled with wearable clothes.

Of course, for this season, that's probably the most we could ask.

Sorry. Still seriously underwhelmed by the stills. I have a favorite - comparatively speaking. But none really rise up and claim the title "winner" to me. As someone above said, maybe moving images will change that. But I'm not holding my breath.

• Love 2

While I absolutely think Sandhya's cut was justified (seriously, if for no other reason than giving back snaps to little bladders - or big bladders - is nuts), it does make me a little sad re this thread. I thought her collection had some potential in this very dismal pack.

She has no one to blame but herself.

ETA I see Cherry and I were thinking along the same lines, at the same time.

:)

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 1

I wasn't a big fan of Sandhya's collection (at all, really) but I am seriously shocked right now because I thought for sure she was winning.

I gues it's between Korina and Sean, and I'm now thinking Amanda is the last finalist. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm definitely rooting for Korina.

• Love 1

I agree with: dismal, meh, underwhelmed, ick, worst-looking, least-talented, horrifying, basic, touristy.

I guess I liked Sandhya's the best, but 2-3 were clear stinkers and as everyone as said, the lipstick colors were tragic.

Is this transparent to show the model's yellow panties? I want to like it otherwise.

• Love 2

Sigh. Remember when each collection was expected to have a finale/wow piece? And collections that (usually) provided context for that piece? At best, the better ones here are filled with wearable clothes.

Of course, for this season, that's probably the most we could ask.

Sorry. Still seriously underwhelmed by the stills. I have a favorite - comparatively speaking. But none really rise up and claim the title "winner" to me. As someone above said, maybe moving images will change that. But I'm not holding my breath.

I too am seriously underwhelmed with the finale collections. Now knowing that Sandhya is not a finalist, I'm really not looking forward to the finale.

While I absolutely think Sandhya's cut was justified (seriously, if for no other reason than giving back snaps to little bladders - or big bladders - is nuts), it does make me a little sad re this thread. I thought her collection had some potential in this very dismal pack.

She has no one to blame but herself.

ETA I see Cherry and I were thinking along the same lines, at the same time.

:)

When  I first saw the decoy collections I worried that the lip treatment meant she wasn't a finalist because I thought the judges would warned her against that. I agree she deserved her auf'ing ( although Emily or Sean were equally deserving of the auf).  I need to revisit these collections because I'm thinking this puts Amanda in the running for the win.

I'll tag this just in case, but this thread is kind of spoiler-y anyway: 

Heidi let slip that this year there will be a final four. I also read on a different site that they tend to cluster their finalists toward the end of the show so it's likely that the final four are Amanda, Char, Kini, and Sean.

God, I honestly can't even imagine who should be the winner out of those four based on the collections.  None of those four did I think was inspiring.  I can't wait to see how the judges spin this and are praising basic designs come the finale.

Edited by Atony
  • Love 6