Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: The Pirate Queen

• Start Topic

Good, tight episode.   Except for the potential reconciliation with Joel as a reward for damseling her. 🤨 

Midge's floral dress at the wedding was gorgeous, she seemed to glow in the twilight on the fire escape.

• Like 14

What do we think Joel's in prison for?  They made it so vague you couldn't figure anything out from what they were saying. 

Midge selling wigs is like Joan Rivers selling jewelry on QVC.

Chekhov's diaper joke (Eisenhower) from first episode of season comes back tonight!

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

My favorite episode of the series! 
Several LOL moments, including Susie's "Arrrgh!"

6 hours ago, millennium said:

Midge's floral dress at the wedding was gorgeous, she seemed to glow in the twilight on the fire escape.

Right?!?!!
I loved that print. I'm sure the fabric was vintage.
And Midge's clothes this season have been tailored to perfection.

Just one thing I wasn't clear about: 
The scene with all the mouths gossiping about where Susie confronted the producer on behalf of her client:
Was that real or in Susie's imagination?

2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

What do we think Joel's in prison for?  They made it so vague you couldn't figure anything out from what they were saying. 

Joel tossed off a throwaway line about it not being a place with scary criminals, so presumably white collar crime.
Maybe with a little light money laundering and tax evasion.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Just one thing I wasn't clear about: 
The scene with all the mouths gossiping about where Susie confronted the producer on behalf of her client:
Was that real or in Susie's imagination?

My money is on Susie's imagination. You can see she stopped listening to the comic reciting the scene and starting to day dream.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Whenever I see Joel I am reminded of a scene in Newsroom when one character calls another a douche and he replies, “yes I am, but I’m a douche on the side of the angels.”

I like that there will always be love between these two, and I don’t mind that he wants to step in and protect Midge from the Russian mob.

• Like 9
  • Love 4

Strangely, Joel looked good at grandpa age.  Of course, it's Hollywood Grandpa age, but still.  I'm thinking his incarceration is either a result of buying the building for the supper club, (Was it a church or convent?), or running afoul of Nicky & Frank in some way that drags him into the mafia, even just by association. 

We may not have Luke as Lenny, but by craps, we have Reid as Gordon Ford, and he is in a word: Delicious....

Susie at the tailor shop was hilarious.  Especially in the boxer shorts. 

And yep, Midge's clothes are amazing.  Though for me, none can top the pale green number she wore to Lenny's Carnegie Hall performance.  Sheer perfection. 

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 10
  • Love 1

So di we count her quickie remarriage to Joel in Vegas as her second marriage?

it was clearly a white collar prison and Midge mentioned Imogen so whatever it was, I don’t think Archie was involved.
I loved the build up of all her crimes and what she said to Gordon. I loved that actor on Veep - he is easy on the eyes!

Edited by Insert Username
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, meira.hand said:

My money is on Susie's imagination. You can see she stopped listening to the comic reciting the scene and starting to day dream.

Huh. I thought that was a fade into them showing us how Susie's star began rising to become the go-to agent we heard about in the faux 60 Minutes interview.  I thought it was a good way to do it since there's not really time to delve into Susie's growth with clients beyond Midge. 

The comic's scene that got him in the running wasn't the central theme -- the central theme was Susie pushing the boundaries to get him the role, and that's what all the phone calls were talking about. 

2 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

I'm thinking his incarceration is either a result of buying the building for the supper club, (Was it a church or convent?), or running afoul of Nicky & Frank in some way that drags him into the mafia, even just by association. 

Midge made a comment to him in the prison when he was talking about looking out for her interests, "and look where that got you," so something he did on behalf of Midge put him in prison. Perhaps he tried to take over managing her career when she and Susie fell out and he mismanaged funds? 

Edited by Sailorgirl26
  • Like 6
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Joel tossed off a throwaway line about it not being a place with scary criminals, so presumably white collar crime.
Maybe with a little light money laundering and tax evasion.

38 minutes ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

and look where that got you," so something he did on behalf of Midge put him in prison

Agreed. Joel committed a little "light" white collar crime. 

lighttreason2.thumb.png.162b0737cd2608361d7cf7c819107467.png

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

I thought that was a fade into them showing us how Susie's star began rising to become the go-to agent we heard about in the faux 60 Minutes interview.  I thought it was a good way to do it since there's not really time to delve into Susie's growth with clients beyond Midge. 

That was my take, especially as the story became more fanciful.

• Like 10

I'm getting confused as to the time period they're referencing. I thought we were still in the early 60s, but they were obviously alluding to Bette Midler starting her career at the Continental Baths. The Baths didn't open until 1968 and Midler's first appearance was circa 1970. Gay life, even in NYC, being as open and accepted in the early 60s as it was in the early 70s is a helluva time jump.

• Like 3

The 80s is not so good to Midge.

Ester is as neurotic as Midge.

Ethan is on a kubutz and married to someone that reminds me of Zelda

Joel is in jail

Midge is hocking wigs and not doing what she loves - comedy.  And she is really unlikable. 

I did prefer Joel with Mei and wished that she stayed on the show and married Joel.  I don't want to see another Joel/Midge reunion.  

• Like 5

Well, Imogene is working for Midge in the '80s, so that's ONE relationship she's been able to keep.

Joel in his late 50s/early 60s resembles Moishe in his mannerisms and speech. And hey, he's a grandpa to a little Israeli.

Gordon Ford is the perfect blend of the good-looking, white bread late night host of the era. He'd never get arrested for using a bad word onstage. He's safe.

And the guys at work seem to be getting used to Midge, bringing in school projects for Ethan and tipping her off that another comic stole a joke of hers.

Love how Susie Marshals her troops (and Alfie's llama).

Joel is absolutely right about the mob guys, and I bet it turns out he took a fall for Midge related to her income (or for it's need to be laundered).

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
36 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

Joel is absolutely right about the mob guys, and I bet it turns out he took a fall for Midge related to her income (or for it's need to be laundered).

But does the timeline add up? I mean when did Susie and Midge part ways? And if it's white collar crime, Joel would have gotten what? 5-10 years with out in 2 for good behaviour?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

But does the timeline add up? I mean when did Susie and Midge part ways? And if it's white collar crime, Joel would have gotten what? 5-10 years with out in 2 for good behaviour?

Future Joel tells Midge to tell his granddaughter, "Little Rose," named after her great-grandmother, who has since passed on:

• "Tell her she'll meet her grandfather in four to six months, with good behavior."

So I assumed Joel was only incarcerated for a year or 2 at the most. 
No?

• Like 1

My guess is that Joel tried to pay off the mob guys, and got caught in a sting.  But i don't know if the timing adds up. Or he finally pays the price for Moishe playing fast and loose with his books.  Edited to cross that last line out - it doesn't fit with Joel's comment that he's in prison because he did something for Midge. 

Loved loved loved Midge's floral dress.

Midge was spot on with everything she said to Gordon.  Edited to add:  As I think about it more, as flighty as Midge can be in so many other areas, she is relatively stable headed when it comes to matters of the heart.  She still loves Joel, but he cheated, at that's the line you don't cross with her.  She's clearly attracted to Gordon, but knows that getting involved with him would be career suicide.  She loved Lenny, but knew that it couldn't work as a long term relationship, so a fling would have to do.  So I wonder how she ended up with 4 husbands, or whatever it was that the 60 Minutes profile mentioned. 

When did Suzie get so many clients, and people begging to work with her?  That seemed a little sudden,

Edited by chaifan
  • Like 8
22 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Loved loved loved Midge's floral dress.

She looked great, and it really was beautiful. 

4 hours ago, greekmom said:

Midge is hocking wigs and not doing what she loves - comedy. 

My thought was that she was probably doing both.  The wigs are just a side business to supplement her income.  Someone's gotta pay for that warehouse full of outfits we saw future Midge auctioning off in an earlier episode. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Elbaite 2.0 said:

I'm getting confused as to the time period they're referencing. I thought we were still in the early 60s, but they were obviously alluding to Bette Midler starting her career at the Continental Baths. The Baths didn't open until 1968 and Midler's first appearance was circa 1970. Gay life, even in NYC, being as open and accepted in the early 60s as it was in the early 70s is a helluva time jump.

This was an homage to Midler and to the Continental Baths, just as Midge is styled somewhat on Joan Rivers without exactly duplicating her life.  That scene took place in '61, when Bette was still a teenager in Hawaii and the Baths hadn't opened, but the connection to her in that scene made us realize that Susie had come to a gay bath house to confront the producer.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

She looked great, and it really was beautiful. 

My thought was that she was probably doing both.  The wigs are just a side business to supplement her income.  Someone's gotta pay for that warehouse full of outfits we saw future Midge auctioning off in an earlier episode. 

Joel seems to indicate that she's not doing comedy.  Not that she's also sidelining in wigs.  Susie and Midge don't break up until about 1983 if you believe NotMikeWallace about their 25 year partnership.  We don't know how long Joel has been in prison but it is  clearly a cushy joint and he expects to be out in 4-6 months so certainly not murder.   

7 hours ago, Elbaite 2.0 said:

The bathhouses certainly existed by the early 60s  and while Bette Midler didn't play in them that early it clued the audience in t what they were seeing.  There is a reference called Gaedicker's Sodom on the Hudson published in 1949 that chronicled various gay places and described the Everard bathouse as having showers, steam rooms and a swimming pool in the lower levels (as oppssed to the rooms for sex and voyerism upstairs) so that Suzie might be aware of this type of institution isn't crazy.   Early and the wrong location for Bette, sure..   But plaussible this guy was there and Suzie could find him?  Sure.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
14 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

Susie at the tailor shop was hilarious.  Especially in the boxer shorts. 

I have a question about this, and I realize I may be overthinking it. In New York at this time, I'm pretty sure there was a law that someone had to be wearing at least three peices of clothing appropriate for thier biological sex. Was this law only enforced when it could be tacked onto something else (a raid at a gay bar, being involved in a routine traffic stop that somehow goes horribly wrong, or something else?) 

7 hours ago, kwnyc said:

And the guys at work seem to be getting used to Midge, bringing in school projects for Ethan and tipping her off that another comic stole a joke of hers.

I like that they seem to have accepted her. She has a good relationship with them and I hope to see it continue. 

7 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Why would her income need to be laundered? Being a comedian is legal. She can honestly say she makes $X a year, pay taxes on it, and it's all good. I don't think she owns or has an ownership stake in the stripclub. The money she makes there could be counted as regular income (she could treat it for tax purposes the same as any other paying gig). 

I loved the way the thing with the jacket on the ship escalated into hilarious and insane charges against her. Gordon's a great guy, but it felt wrong seeing her at the City Spoon. Joel is supposed to be the one across the table from her there.

Are Joel and Midge going to be like Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor? Joel loves her, he cares about her, and there is still some attraction between them. 

I hope we find out what Joel went to prison for before the end of the season/series. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

The wigs are just a side business to supplement her income.  Someone's gotta pay for that warehouse full of outfits we saw future Midge auctioning off in an earlier episode.

Midge hawking wigs is reminiscent of Joan Rivers doing QVC. Both needed to pay bills. 
Don’t ask me why current stars of long-running TV series like Ice-T and Tom Selleck are hawking scammy insurance products. And Jeff Goldblum doing Apartments.com ads??
But wait, there's more!
Just heard on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me weekly comedy news quiz:
Winner of countless awards for writing and performing country music, Brad Paisley, is apparently now best known by fans for singing the jingle on the Nation Wide insurance commercial.

12 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Are Joel and Midge going to be like Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor?

Especially with this episode, I see Joel and Midge as Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor-esque.

Likewise, Gordon Ford is just Johnny Carson-esque.

BTW, I happened to catch part of an episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show, and noticed both how much Reid Scott physically resembles 1960s Dick Van Dyke — including the hair — as well as how similar the writers’ room dynamics of The Dick Van Dyke Show are to the Gordon Ford writers’ room. 
And that show's fictional comedy writer Sally Rodger’s dresses are form-fitting like Midge’s.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 15
  • Useful 2

I really don't like the flash-forwards. They aren't really telling us anything as much as they are teasing us. We're getting these glimpses into the future without context or explanation of how they got there, and I'm not confident they're going to fill in the blanks. I'm of the opinion they should either tell a story or not tell it. Last week didn't have a flash-forward scene and I was grateful.

I got a big kick out of Zelda's wedding with everyone talking once they realized Zelda was quitting. It's absurd to think they never asked her that but we got a funny scene out of it anyway.

The boat scene was kind of annoying, Midge is really her own worst enemy. Telling that guy "no means no" is fine but throwing his jacket overboard crossed the line. Not that he didn't deserve it but you could see the kind of trouble she would get into a mile away. Being charged with piracy was silly even for this show.

• Like 4

So Future Joel is in prison for some form of white collar crime.  Not sure how I feel about 60s Joel and Midge possibly giving it another go, I feel like the Palladinos are just trolling us at this point and it's giving me Lorelei/Christopher deja Vu which I don't like feeling.

That aside, definitely enjoyed this.  I'm glad they're addressing the dilemma women faced during these times when not only they worked a supposed "man's job" but the aggressions women in service jobs were expected to deal with from men in positions of power.  Even though Midge now fits in with the other writers she's only succeeding because they've accepted her as one of the boys.  Yes Midge crossed the line with tossing that assholes jacket but it was for the right reasons. Plus the piracy is great joke fodder, if only Michael Bluth existed in this universe to help her in maritime law.

And of course the George and the legal team assumes that the MAN is telling the truth.  I'm with Mike and hope George gets the sack very soon (not a good week for Peter Friedman characters).

Also liked the scene at the end with Midge and Gordon and why Midge very correctly explained why she won't sleep with him.  Still, considering they keep throwing down our throats that she can't be on the show, I have a feeling that she might get an offer to do a spot on Jack Parr soon creating another conflict of interest.

I know they time jumped a few months from the last episode but how did Susie go from almost destitute every week for four years to running a whole floor and having a shitload of clients in one episode? I doubt it was Midge's trash gig that brought the windfall. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Telling that guy "no means no" is fine but throwing his jacket overboard crossed the line. 

Throwing his jacket overboard was an honest mistake. She did not mean for that to happen at all. She was trying to put it on and wear it, there was a gust of wind or something, she lost her grip, and the jacket fell overboard. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, Elbaite 2.0 said:

I was wondering about the James Earl Jones reference.  I know he was well-known in theatrical circles and did some television, but would he have been someone that would have been thought of for movies in the early 1960s?  

• Useful 1
On 4/29/2023 at 12:24 AM, Sarah 103 said:

I have a question about this, and I realize I may be overthinking it. In New York at this time, I'm pretty sure there was a law that someone had to be wearing at least three peices of clothing appropriate for thier biological sex. Was this law only enforced when it could be tacked onto something else (a raid at a gay bar, being involved in a routine traffic stop that somehow goes horribly wrong, or something else?) 

I like that they seem to have accepted her. She has a good relationship with them and I hope to see it continue. 

Why would her income need to be laundered? Being a comedian is legal. She can honestly say she makes $X a year, pay taxes on it, and it's all good. I don't think she owns or has an ownership stake in the stripclub. The money she makes there could be counted as regular income (she could treat it for tax purposes the same as any other paying gig). 

I loved the way the thing with the jacket on the ship escalated into hilarious and insane charges against her. Gordon's a great guy, but it felt wrong seeing her at the City Spoon. Joel is supposed to be the one across the table from her there.

Are Joel and Midge going to be like Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor? Joel loves her, he cares about her, and there is still some attraction between them. 

I hope we find out what Joel went to prison for before the end of the season/series. 

Midge’s money wouldn’t have to be laundered, but the mob guys said they were getting ten percent of Midge and ten percent of Susie, which to me means all of Susie’s clients. Explaining where that much money went and possibly why they weren’t paying taxes on kickbacks to the mob might be part of the issue. There would almost have to be some creative bookkeeping going on. 

I agree that Midge and Gordon were out of context in Midge and Joel’s special diner, it was jarring. But I still liked their scene together and loved Midge explaining the actual conditions of women’s lives to him. Because she would be the girl who slept with Gordon. If there were consequences to bear, she would bear them. This hasn’t really changed, imo. Even now, it’s usually not the male half of the office romance who finds themselves clutching a pink slip. It isn’t the philandering husband who gets called a home wrecker. Midge is smart not to go for that poisoned (but very handsome and charming) bait. 

I love that Joel still cares about Midge and that he’s worrying about the mob guys. His worries are justified. Whatever Joel is in prison for, I think the seeds of it are here if not the actual crime. 

Piracy! I love it. It’s the kind of throw the book at them charge that would be dropped during negotiation. Thought to be considered international waters I think it is either one or two miles offshore. Certainly not so close that you can practically touch the lights of Manhattan.

And good for Midge for defending the waitress. I waited tables when I was young. Too many people treat you like you’re a prostitute who happens to be carrying food. And sometimes the women who are higher up the food chain treat you like you’re invisible when these things happen for fear of losing what little safety and status they have. 

PS - I thought the jacket ended up in the water accidentally on purpose. Whoopsie. 

Edited by AuntieMame
Just tidying up.
  • Like 8
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, millennium said:

My impression was that the jacket went overboard by accident.

1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

Throwing his jacket overboard was an honest mistake. She did not mean for that to happen at all. She was trying to put it on and wear it, there was a gust of wind or something, she lost her grip, and the jacket fell overboard. 

Oh, I didn't see it that way at all.  I saw it as Midge was toying with it (and him) at first, to get him very nervous about her purposely throwing it over, and that she did the "oh, I'll just throw this over my shoulders... whoopsie!" very deliberately, just to make it look like an accident.  I could easily see her doing the same thing to some jerk in the Catskills, "accidentally" dropping his designer cardigan into the lake.  But there, she could get away with it with no repercussions, because she had status.  Here, she was just the hired help, and got called on for it. 

I think I would have liked the scene with the PR people and Gordon better if Gordon came in, asked who the guy was, and on hearing his name would have been like "oh come on, we all know he's an ass grabber.  Is anyone really believing this creep over Midge?"  It just would have been nice for her actions to have been validated in front of the higher ups. 

At this point in the season, if I knew someone that planned on watching but hadn't watched the season yet, I think I'd advise them to have someone cue up each episode to skip over the flash forwards, and to just watch those all in one run at the end.  Maybe my opinion will change by the end of the series, but I don't like them and they take me out of the main story.  And they aged up Joel way too much for the prison scene.  He's only in his mid-50's at that point, and it looked like they were going for 10-15 years older than that.  If they just stuck with scenes of Esther at the therapist, being a narrator as to what happened over the last 20 years, that would be ok. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
8 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I saw it as Midge was toying with it (and him) at first, to get him very nervous about her purposely throwing it over, and that she did the "oh, I'll just throw this over my shoulders... whoopsie!" very deliberately, just to make it look like an accident. 

Plausible deniability. 😉

• Like 4
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

Oh, I didn't see it that way at all.  I saw it as Midge was toying with it (and him) at first, to get him very nervous about her purposely throwing it over, and that she did the "oh, I'll just throw this over my shoulders... whoopsie!" very deliberately, just to make it look like an accident.  I could easily see her doing the same thing to some jerk in the Catskills, "accidentally" dropping his designer cardigan into the lake.  But there, she could get away with it with no repercussions, because she had status.  Here, she was just the hired help, and got called on for it. 

YMMV, but to me Midge seemed a little horrified that the jacket went overboard, her feeble joke "I hope your keys weren't in there" a nervous attempt to alleviate the situation.   I don't recall any previous instances where Midge deliberately destroyed property to make a point.  Plus she was at an event where she was representing her employer.   To do something like that deliberately in a situation where she is the face of the company would be insane.  I agree she was taunting the guy with the possibility that she might throw it over, but when it actually happened she appeared mortified.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 14
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Badger said:

I was wondering about the James Earl Jones reference.  I know he was well-known in theatrical circles and did some television, but would he have been someone that would have been thought of for movies in the early 1960s?  

His first big movie was Dr. Strangelove, 1964.  So maybe they would have thought of him for this part.  They were looking at unknowns or up and coming performers? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

New York repeals 'walking while trans' law after years of activism

The historical name for the offense was "masquerading."

• Useful 6
4 hours ago, millennium said:

YMMV, but to me Midge seemed a little horrified that the jacket went overboard, her feeble joke "I hope your keys weren't in there" a nervous attempt to alleviate the situation.   I don't recall any previous instances where Midge deliberately destroyed property to make a point.  Plus she was at an event where she was representing her employer.   To do something like that deliberately in a situation where she is the face of the company would be insane.  I agree she was taunting the guy with the possibility that she might throw it over, but when it actually happened she appeared mortified.

Yes. I just rewatched that scene (starting around 32 minutes in) and the look on her face does seem to indicate that she only intended to make him worry that the expensive coat might go overboard, and was a bit horrified/mortified when it did.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
40 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I loved Gordon, Mike, and Susie's reactions in the scene with the lawyer and PR lady so much I rewound and watched it twice.

Yes! I loved Gordon telling the PR lady to let the story run in the paper the next day and to be sure everyone knows he’s got a pirate on his writing staff. 
And then as Midge and Susie are leaving, Susie to Midge: “Arrrrgh.”

But rewatching that scene I can’t forget that Mike Carr is played by Rachel Brosnahan’s husband, Jason Ralph. I can only forget that factoid on a first watch, when I’m hanging onto the ASP snappy dialogue.

• Like 6
22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I really don't like the flash-forwards. They aren't really telling us anything as much as they are teasing us. We're getting these glimpses into the future without context or explanation of how they got there, and I'm not confident they're going to fill in the blanks. I'm of the opinion they should either tell a story or not tell it. Last week didn't have a flash-forward scene and I was grateful.

I got a big kick out of Zelda's wedding with everyone talking once they realized Zelda was quitting. It's absurd to think they never asked her that but we got a funny scene out of it anyway.

The boat scene was kind of annoying, Midge is really her own worst enemy. Telling that guy "no means no" is fine but throwing his jacket overboard crossed the line. Not that he didn't deserve it but you could see the kind of trouble she would get into a mile away. Being charged with piracy was silly even for this show.

And asking zelda to explain the science of the vacuum was funny. 

Agree about Midge and the jacket. The girl was gone, safe, no need to push it further but as always she doesn't know when to stop. 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Agree about Midge and the jacket. The girl was gone, safe, no need to push it further but as always she doesn't know when to stop. 

I wonder, though, if this experience will have resulted in the diaper cream salesman never again sexually assaulting the hired help?
Maybe he had never before really given much thought to how the object of his attentions felt about being cornered by one of her boss’s clients?
Or, if he’s the sort for whom this experience will just serve to make him meaner and more determined, maybe next time he will be the one locked up? 
Or not? 
Mostly rhetorical questions

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I wonder, though, if this experience will have resulted in the diaper cream salesman never again sexually assaulting the hired help?
Maybe he had never before really given much thought to how the object of his attentions felt about being cornered by one of her boss’s clients?
Or, if he’s the sort for whom this experience will just serve to make him meaner and more determined, maybe next time he will be the one locked up? 
Or not? 
Mostly rhetorical questions

I think of he was going to learn that lesson from this he wouldn't have claimed assault by Midge and wouldn't have had her removed from the boat, charged with piracy. 

• Like 16

I've reached the point where I just come here, find out what the best parts of the episode are and fast forward through the rest.

Can't stand the "future" scenes. Can't stand anything not related to Midge and can't barely stand her scenes. Keep waiting for Luke Kirby to miraculously come back. Sad end to a show that used to be one of my favorites.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I just rewatched that scene (starting around 32 minutes in) and the look on her face does seem to indicate that she only intended to make him worry that the expensive coat might go overboard, and was a bit horrified/mortified when it did.

Hmm. Interesting that we have different interpretations on this. To me, the expression on her face said she meant to do that. It may be that Rachel Brosnahan's facial expression was just a little too ambiguous. Also the way she said "Oopsie" or whatever sounded more like "accidentally on purpose" rather than accidentally.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, maddie965 said:

I've reached the point where I just come here, find out what the best parts of the episode are and fast forward through the rest.

Can't stand the "future" scenes. Can't stand anything not related to Midge and can't barely stand her scenes. Keep waiting for Luke Kirby to miraculously come back. Sad end to a show that used to be one of my favorites.

That's  how I was feeling. Something  about episode  5 changed, and I became  interested  again. I was feeling  guilty, because  having loved all these characters,  for such a long time, this season  wasn't  doing it for me. I'm hoping  episode  6 is going to really  grab me, again.

• Like 1
On 4/28/2023 at 10:03 AM, meira.hand said:

My husband aggrees with your scenario. I, OTOH, took that scene to be reality in the future. That is pretty much what this season is all about. We are getting to see what happens to these characters in the future.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Like 3

Might be a hot take but I really like the flash forwards. We might know some things about them in the 80s but we don’t know how they got there. We’re enjoying this season already more than last season. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. I just rewatched that scene (starting around 32 minutes in) and the look on her face does seem to indicate that she only intended to make him worry that the expensive coat might go overboard, and was a bit horrified/mortified when it did.

I still don't see it that way. Midge is not a klutz. She had a good hold of that jacket. She was PISSED at that asshole for what he did to the waitress. She let him have what was coming to him.

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Hmm. Interesting that we have different interpretations on this. To me, the expression on her face said she meant to do that. It may be that Rachel Brosnahan's facial expression was just a little too ambiguous. Also the way she said "Oopsie" or whatever sounded more like "accidentally on purpose" rather than accidentally.

EXACTLY regarding the "oopsie". She sooooooooo meant to do it.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1