Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E21: Dating, Drinking and Grifter Logic

Pallas
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Pallas said:

Neville confronts Jackie about loaning Dan money; Darlene attempts to play matchmaker for Mark.

I wonder if this is him finding out about the money from the big rig episode, or if she loans Dan even more money (I hope the former).

And for Pete's sake, can this family stop trying to fix each other up with romantic partners?  Mark is in high school; if he meets someone he wants to date, great, if he doesn't, great.  It's bad enough fretting about Becky being single, but a kid?!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Haha, I liked Becky's "Romeoville/Joliet" bit XD. I also liked the red jacket she was wearing in that scene, it looked cute. 

Also liked Ben teasing Mark at the diner :p. It would've been neat if things had gone better with Mark and James, but yeah, Darlene, maybe best to just let Mark do his own thing when it comes to dating from now on :p. 

Interesting that they picked up on that conversation from a few episodes back with Jackie and Neville and Dan. I'm glad Dan and Neville were able to ultimately work things out. Even if it did involve a night in jail in the process. 

• Like 8

I laughed at the vegetarian making Darlene, a vegan, realize she's annoying too.

I liked the Romeoville/Joliet thing too. Fun fact: the original names were Romeo and Juliet. Romeo changed to Romeoville and Juliet got so mad so they changed it to Joliet (Oops. It was the other way around. Juliet changed first).

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Dan really shouldn't have said anything to Neville re: money.  I can see why he said the grifter thing as he overheard the conversation but a deal was a deal with the money and Dan broke the deal. (at least we found out that he did pay Jackie back prompty).

Interesting twist about Neville and Louise's family and how they don't help eachother.  Neville is such a child. Not sure which is worse - the Connors attitude towards money or Neville's childish actions.  I would have hit him with the newspaper as well. Many times.

Dan taking the fall for the DUI was very big of him.

The Mark being set up storyline was dud but I liked the  Romeoville/Joliet part.  Interesting they brought up David.  They never bring him up. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

Unpopular Opinion--they are a bunch of grifters and losers, Dan taking the rap not withstanding. And ambushing Mark's meeting whathisname?  Totally in character and bad taste. h wait..they are Connors, never mind.

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, greekmom said:

The Mark being set up storyline was dud but I liked the  Romeoville/Joliet part.  Interesting they brought up David.  They never bring him up. 

The description for the season finale

Spoiler

says that it's about Mark's relationship with his father. They might be mentioning David to set us up for whatever's going to happen there.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4

Oh, FFS.  Yes, the cop is right that Dan in the car with the keys in the ignition would be enough to bring him in for DUI -- if he was over the legal limit.  Which, at his size, he would not even be in the same universe of after one Long Island Iced Tea and a couple slugs of beer.  The cop didn't do a breathalyzer in the field - which he'd have passed with flying colors - but even if they were basing the arrest on a blood draw done at the station, he'd be good to go.  Nice story about Dan taking the hit for Neville, but do it with him being detained and released, not actually booked.

Speaking of the Long Island, I love Dan downing it in response to Neville's challenge, and then gagging not because it's too strong, but because it's too damn sweet. 

Darlene and James both having their hair hanging out of their hair nets was driving me crazy.  (Especially since, like me, they both have curly hair -- we shed more, because we only brush/comb our hair when it's wet.)  Also, even for cafeteria food, that shit was gross.  Elementary schools have long since had better options, never mind universities.

The date storyline was silly, but I did get a kick out of Harris saying, "I didn't go to college.  Our mom put all her love and energy into Sweater Vest here."  (She's not wrong.)  And of Becky's "You live in Mayberry, you're going to run into Aunt Bea.

And, yeah, the tag should have been an updated rendition of holding cell "Jail House Rock".

• Like 20
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Also, even for cafeteria food, that shit was gross.  Elementary schools have long since had better options, never mind universities.

I thought the same thing. My community college cafeteria had pretty good food with various menu options even back in the 90's. Not just go through one line of food.

Yet another thing to show The Connors know nothing about college.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, FFS.  Yes, the cop is right that Dan in the car with the keys in the ignition would be enough to bring him in for DUI -- if he was over the legal limit.  Which, at his size, he would not even be in the same universe of after one Long Island Iced Tea and a couple slugs of beer.  The cop didn't do a breathalyzer in the field - which he'd have passed with flying colors - but even if they were basing the arrest on a blood draw done at the station, he'd be good to go.  Nice story about Dan taking the hit for Neville, but do it with him being detained and released, not actually booked.

Actually I'm thinking after a Long Island Ice Tea, which is one of the strongest mixed drinks out there, he just may have failed a breathalyzer test.  It's the equivalent of 4-5 glasses of beer or 4 standard mixed drinks, which I've read is enough to make a person fail a breathalyzer.  I have heard anecdotally of tall people failing on even less.  And Dan's not as big as he used to be.

1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I thought the same thing. My community college cafeteria had pretty good food with various menu options even back in the 90's. Not just go through one line of food.

Yeah I thought it looked outdated, but the food actually looked good compared to the crap at my local hospital if you can believe that!

• Like 5
Just now, Yeah No said:

Actually I'm thinking after a Long Island Ice Tea, which is one of the strongest mixed drinks out there, he just may have failed a breathalyzer test. 

Not at his size, and at that short time since ingestion.  I'm well versed in this, and while just one Long Island can put someone over the limit - one of the few drinks that can do so - it won't do it do him.  If they wanted to hammer home the "Dan takes the fall for Neville" storyline and just, as they did, ignore the lack of a field sobriety or breathalyzer test yet have Dan nevertheless spend a night in jail, they could have gone with a delayed release following detainment and exoneration for the same effect.  I guess they wanted Dan needing to ask Neville to pay for his legal fees to have it expunged, but the point could have been made more realistically while still talking about family taking care of family.

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Not at his size, and at that short time since ingestion.  I'm well versed in this, and while just one Long Island can put someone over the limit - one of the few drinks that can do so - it won't do it do him.  If they wanted to hammer home the "Dan takes the fall for Neville" storyline and just, as they did, ignore the lack of a field sobriety or breathalyzer test yet have Dan nevertheless spend a night in jail, they could have gone with a delayed release following detainment and exoneration for the same effect.  I guess they wanted Dan needing to ask Neville to pay for his legal fees to have it expunged, but the point could have been made more realistically while still talking about family taking care of family.

I'm kind of well versed in this myself given that one of my best friends is a lawyer that has handled a lot of DWIs and talks about this often.  It takes very little to fail a breathalyzer these days.  My husband is a limo. driver and he has heard many stories from other drivers about how little it took them to fail.

This is from a page on Quora, a quote from a substance abuse counselor on the Long Island Ice Tea and breathalyzer:

Long Island Iced Teas have about 5–7.5 ounces of liquor. Two of them - 10 - 15 oz. - in a short time can get someone very drunk unless alcoholism is in play. One of those drink will put me (240 lb.) at a .07, one tick under drunk driving status. Anyone smaller will have a higher level. Very dangerous drink.

At any rate the fact that the show would deliberately make Dan drink something that potent makes me think they wanted to insert the possibility of him failing such a test if he were given one.  Otherwise they would have made him drink only a couple of beers.  And after his radical weight loss I doubt he's anywhere near 240 at 6'2, if he's even that height anymore at his age.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Also, even for cafeteria food, that shit was gross.  Elementary schools have long since had better options, never mind universities.

I worked in both elementary and high schools, in both situations the food was contracted out and subject to strict diets of things like carbs, fat an sugar.  And yes, they should have had their hair i n the nets--that's the WHOLE POINT of wearing them.

• Like 5

Regardless if Dan would have failed or passed the breathalyzer test both posters are correct above.  The show really failed when they didn't have the cop conduct a field test and just arrest him on the spot for a DUI regardless if he said he drank 1 long island ice tea and a beer or what not. 

That maybe why Dan might be able to get the DUI off his record.  If there was no actual proof that he was over the limit with a failure of a breathalyzer test.

• Like 9
48 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Regardless if Dan would have failed or passed the breathalyzer test both posters are correct above.  The show really failed when they didn't have the cop conduct a field test and just arrest him on the spot for a DUI regardless if he said he drank 1 long island ice tea and a beer or what not. 

That maybe why Dan might be able to get the DUI off his record.  If there was no actual proof that he was over the limit with a failure of a breathalyzer test.

There was no actual proof but his admission of guilt might make getting it off his record harder for him even with a good lawyer.  I'll have to ask my lawyer friend what he thinks about this.  There is the matter of him not actually driving the vehicle, but laws in a lot of states including Illinois don't even require driving to get a DUI or DWI but an "intent to drive", which was supposedly established by him sitting in the driver's seat with the keys in the ignition and/or the car engine on (although technically I've read you don't even have to be in the driver's seat to get arrested!)   Of course he should seek out a lawyer but who knows if he will?  Knowing how Dan is, he may want to fall on his sword to show Neville his loyalty to the family to get him on his side.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Speaking of the Long Island, I love Dan downing it in response to Neville's challenge, and then gagging not because it's too strong, but because it's too damn sweet. 

A long island iced tea, if made properly, should not be sweet. That used to be my drink of choice many moons ago. It's five white liquors (vodka, tequila, rum, triple sec, and gin), and a shot of coke to make it brown. I can't imagine what they would put in it to make it sweet. Again - I think the writers don't know what that drink is. And it looked like Neville's had cherries in it. I was waiting for it to turn out he was drunk on Shirley Temples.

I thought the whole DUI thing was dumb. Dan should have just said his friend was trying to drive off drunk and he stopped him. No need to admit he'd been drinking himself. I don't think the cop could have arrested Neville for attempting to drive drunk since he wasn't even in the car.

Also, the way the buffet was set up at the cafeteria, it looked like the students should have been able to just help themselves to the food. No need for lunch workers to ladle it out onto their plates, which looked awkward as hell. Plus the students could have determined just how much or little of a helping they wanted. The only thing the lunch workers needed to do was refill and replace trays as they emptied, plus cleaning stuff.

It's really glaring how little this show understands how the world works in general.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Also, the way the buffet was set up at the cafeteria, it looked like the students should have been able to just help themselves to the food. No need for lunch workers to ladle it out onto their plates, which looked awkward as hell. Plus the students could have determined just how much or little of a helping they wanted. The only thing the lunch workers needed to do was refill and replace trays as they emptied, plus cleaning stuff.

I don't know. Wrapped food like sandwiches are ok, but I don't trust people touching and breathing all over buffet style food. Also, they need different ladles for vegan and allergens and non-employees may just use the same ladle for everything. 

Yeah, I'm one of *those* LOL. I don't even eat samples at the grocery store unless the setup is supervised.

I'm also not familiar with university. At my CC, we pay for the meal and they dish out a serving or give us one sandwich so we can't take more than we pay for. But then again, we pay at the end when the cashier add up what's on our trays. I'm just rambling and don't know what I'm going on about now 🤔

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

Unpopular Opinion--they are a bunch of grifters and losers, Dan taking the rap not withstanding. 

Once Dan convinced Neville that in a real family, money is community property, my first thought was "yup, now the Conners are going to ruin Neville just like they ruined Ben." And not just financially either, look how Ben's personality has changed since getting involved with Darlene. He didn't used to be a fatalistic slob. He was clever and sophisticated (for a small town), a writer and business man. Now he spouts the same stereotypical "white trash" attitude as the rest of them.

Good luck, Neville.

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

A long island iced tea, if made properly, should not be sweet. That used to be my drink of choice many moons ago. It's five white liquors (vodka, tequila, rum, triple sec, and gin), and a shot of coke to make it brown. I can't imagine what they would put in it to make it sweet. Again - I think the writers don't know what that drink is.

That's why it made me laugh -- Neville was drunk off his ass from what he thought were powerhouse drinks, but the bartender was actually serving him sweet, even fruity (yeah, I thought I saw garnishes in there, too) weak drinks that someone used to drinking could take right down based on the alcohol content but would grimace because of the sweetness.  It's cheap humor, Neville being a wussy drunk, but he bugs me more often than not, so it made me laugh.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4

Nice how they frame the prof/ student relationship as "you destroyed his career." Et tu, Mark?! Jeebus.

Would it be mean to hope for a serial killer visiting the Conners? Off-screen ofc. This is a tasteful, subtle show. Mark should survive. (He wouldn't be home.) But don't forget Ben.

I now dislike Dan more than Darlene. Hey look, something positive: I'm starting to almost not actively hate Darlene!

- What "relationship with his father?"

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2

It was annoying Dan joking/not joking telling Neville to get pizzas for the family, then had to open his big mouth about the grifter conversation.  His ‘family’ speech made up for his entitlement.

I was cracking up at Neville screaming like a woman.

Poor Mark; couldn’t the family act human just once, did they have to embarrass him?!

• Like 3

I don't know. Wrapped food like sandwiches are ok, but I don't trust people touching and breathing all over buffet style food. Also, they need different ladles for vegan and allergens and non-employees may just use the same ladle for everything. 

Yeah I get that but it didn't look like it was set up right - it looked more like a regular buffet with the domed sneeze guard. Imagine scooping something up in a buffet then leaning all the way through to the other side to put it on someone's plate. It just looked very awkward. There should have been something on top for people to put their trays on. The lunch servers are going to go home every day with terrible back aches, neck aches and other sore muscles constantly leaning in and reaching through like that.

Once again, something the show simply didn't think through.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Darlene and James both having their hair hanging out of their hair nets was driving me crazy.

That bugged me, too. It was bad enough when it was just Darlene, but then both of them? I worked in the cafeteria in college to have spending money and the manager never would have let us get away with that.

17 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Yet another thing to show The Connors know nothing about college.

That’s for sure! This whole cafeteria subplot is so dumb. Darlene said earlier that she wanted Mark to have the full college experience. If she had any sense whatsoever, she’d send him to community college for the first 2 years while she earned a lot more at the management job she quit, saved up and then had him transfer to the 4-year school, where he could still have that “full college experience”. (Yeah, yeah, I know… she’s a Conner and they always manage to make the poorest choices, pun fully intended.)

4 hours ago, ofmd said:

Nice how they frame the prof/ student relationship as "you destroyed his career." Et tu, Mark?!

But don’t you know Becky held a gun to that poor professor’s head and forced him to date her, and he had no idea what he was doing because he wasn’t in a position of power over her?  /s

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, One Tough Cookie said:
47 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

If Mark didn’t want his family to spy on his date, maybe don’t go to the family restaurant!!

True enuff, but wouldn't a normal family give the kids time to get to know each other before they embarrass them?

operative phrase here: “a normal family.”

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I waited until tonight to watch this--given the choice between watching this live or watching Carol Burnett's 90th birthday special on NBC, it was a no brainer to watch Carol and save this for later.

That said--all the expected stupidity aside--the way that Mark's family embarrassed him in front of James at the Lunchbox reminded me of how Dan & Roseanne threatened to embarrass Becky in front of Chip, WAY WAY back in the day before she had even met Mark's namesake.

(But yeah, WHY on EARTH would Mark have his date with James take place there? Oh, right, it's their only restaurant set now without the Mexican restaurant--silly me.)

And forget the Jailhouse Rock parody-- we missed the chance to see Darlene snark at Dan while he's behind bars again!

("I don't have time for this." "Oh, I think you do.") 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Will someone please explain to me why Mark couldn't work at the college cafeteria to get the paid tuition instead of Darlene quitting her manager job?

I find it unbelievable that Neville would even think about driving while intoxicated.  Him (he?) getting drunk seemed completely out of character so I'm not buying the drunk driving plotline and Dan taking the fall just to show a point about how family helping each other.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, UYI said:

That said--all the expected stupidity aside--the way that Mark's family embarrassed him in front of James at the Lunchbox reminded me of how Dan & Roseanne threatened to embarrass Becky in front of Chip, WAY WAY back in the day before she had even met Mark's namesake.

YES! That's exactly what I thought of during that scene, too!

"Oh, honey, there's no way we'd embarrass you!" *Roseanne sticks her finger in her nose and tugs up on it, Dan makes weird faces and scratches at himself* XD

• Like 1

Speaking of that drink being sweet when it shouldn't have been that sweet, the only sweet ingredients in a classic Long Island Iced Tea are the triple sec and the sweet/sour mix which won't make it that sweet, however there are umpteen variations that can add juices and other sugars.  I think the show deliberately made Dan say the drink was too sweet because that would account for a quick effect on him.  It's known that sweet drinks cause the alcohol to absorb into the bloodstream more quickly.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, UYI said:

IAnd forget the Jailhouse Rock parody-- we missed the chance to see Darlene snark at Dan while he's behind bars again!

("I don't have time for this." "Oh, I think you do.") 

One of my favorite scenes. But that was when Darlene was funny/snarky and not whatever she is now.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Speaking of that drink being sweet when it shouldn't have been that sweet, the only sweet ingredients in a classic Long Island Iced Tea are the triple sec and the sweet/sour mix which won't make it that sweet, however there are umpteen variations that can add juices and other sugars.  I think the show deliberately made Dan say the drink was too sweet because that would account for a quick effect on him.  It's known that sweet drinks cause the alcohol to absorb into the bloodstream more quickly.

Eh, knowing these writers I think it's more likely they didn't really know what a Long Island Tea is. They just thought it sounded like some fancy froo-froo drink. My dad had the same reaction once when he heard me order one, he sort of scoffed and said "Why don't you order a real drink?"

• Like 2
On 4/26/2023 at 11:06 PM, Court said:

So this didn't air last night for me and it's not on demand. Any idea where I can watch it? 

I just watched on demand...I can also watch stuff on the ABC website with my cable company login (Optimum in my case but there are a bunch of options).

On 4/27/2023 at 2:10 AM, Snow Apple said:

My college had one of the top 10 cafeterias at the time I was there (not sure if that was just the state of PA or what). There were generally multiple options on the line, plus salad bar, a waffle maker (during brunch on weekends), and if you really couldn't find anything to eat, a counter full of cereal dispensers that went the length of a whole wall, and there was always bread, peanut butter, and jelly available.

On 4/27/2023 at 1:31 PM, Snow Apple said:

I'm also not familiar with university. At my CC, we pay for the meal and they dish out a serving or give us one sandwich so we can't take more than we pay for. But then again, we pay at the end when the cashier add up what's on our trays. I'm just rambling and don't know what I'm going on about now 🤔

When I was in school we had to buy a meal plan with a certain number of meals. They swiped your ID on the way into the cafeteria, and you could have as much as you wanted (but you couldn't take food out, unless you had a juice card from the health center; the running joke on campus was that no matter what was wrong with you - cold, flu, broken leg..., they would give you a juice card, and you could then bring in a bottle up to a certain size to fill up and take with you). If you lived in the dorms you had to have a full 21-meal plan, but if you were a commuter or lived in one of the senior apartments (which had their own kitchens), you could choose as few as 7 (or none). Not sure how they do it these days (though I went to homecoming/my 25th reunion in October and saw they have to-go boxes now, but you have to get it on the way in).

On 4/27/2023 at 7:30 PM, chitowngirl said:

If Mark didn’t want his family to spy on his date, maybe don’t go to the family restaurant!!

That's what I said!

At my undergraduate university, we pretty much had the set up depicted in this show.  You went into the cafeteria, got your little cardboard card punched (we got a new card every so often -- I don't remember if it was weekly or monthly), grabbed a plastic tray and went through the line.  If it was a special night, like the infrequent "steak" night, you also got a ticket for "steak".  It was a piece of beef, but steak, it was not.  And, if there was nothing in the line that appealed to you, as frequently happened with my roommate, who was a vegetarian (because somehow, fish was a vegetable?), there was the cereal bar and fixings for PB&J or PB&H type sandwiches.  

Where I work now, there is, sadly, no food option other than vending machines or going off-campus.  But we are a non-residential college.  Everyone commutes.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

When I was in school we had to buy a meal plan with a certain number of meals. They swiped your ID on the way into the cafeteria, and you could have as much as you wanted (but you couldn't take food out, unless you had a juice card from the health center; the running joke on campus was that no matter what was wrong with you - cold, flu, broken leg..., they would give you a juice card, and you could then bring in a bottle up to a certain size to fill up and take with you). If you lived in the dorms you had to have a full 21-meal plan, but if you were a commuter or lived in one of the senior apartments (which had their own kitchens), you could choose as few as 7 (or none). 

Mine was a lot like this. IIRC the minimum meal plan for people in the dorms was two all-you-can-eat cafeteria meals a day, breakfast and dinner (you "couldn't" bring anything out, but stealing some fruit and bagels from breakfast was common) plus a separate food credit balance that could be used to buy snacks, lunches, and saturday dinner (for some reason the cafeteria only did brunch on saturday). There were a number of non-campus restaurants signed up with the food credit system so you could order pizza delivered on it. If you blew through your food allowance before the end of the semester you could beg off friends, since I don't think they could get the cash back anyway for unused credit, but you'd still have the cafeteria meals.

If you moved into a campus apartment with a kitchen then you didn't have to have any cafeteria meals and your required credit was lower. There was a convenience store by the apartments that would take food credits.

55 minutes ago, emmyG said:

(you "couldn't" bring anything out, but stealing some fruit and bagels from breakfast was common)

Yeah, you could slip out with a bagel or piece of fruit (especially if you were just finishing it on your way to class or whatever), they wouldn't say anything. But you couldn't pack up a meal to go.

We also did brunch on the weekends, but IIRC they did have breakfast earlier as well. I worked in our little campus restaurant, where if you had class or work through a meal time and couldn't get to the cafeteria, you could use your meal for up to a certain amount worth of food there and/or at the attached convenience store (I think it was like $4 but that could get you a sandwich and a drink or whatever). I worked the dinner shift so I often would make myself a grilled chicken breast to take home with me and add veggies from my fridge, or sometimes just take a few whole eggs and cook them at home.

Does Darlene forget how she managed to get into her writing school?  She got in via talent, hard work, and working part time while in school.

I don't recall Roseanne nor Dan working at the school in order for Darlene to go.  

However, I think Darlene is still under the mindset that college is the end all be all..like it was in the 90s.  So I could see her deciding to not make Mark work hard to go to school like she had to.

However, I'll be honest that I don't think Mark is the type that would want to experience all aspects of a college.  

And I'm curious about Harris...what is she exactly doing with her life?  It seems as if the writers have no idea what to do with her..other than throw out a sarcastic one liner.

And in OG Roseanne...Roseanne ended up not embarrassing Becky at the bowling alley...and it resulted in Chip thinking Roseanne was cool.  

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

Darlene also was originally promised money from a rich relative and then received a scholarship instead. She definitely did not pay her own way, she only eventually got a part-time campus job for extra spending money.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

So Mark’s genius idea to avoid his family was to tell them one location and then fake them out by … going to his family’s restaurant? And he is the college boy, huh.

Did that ep end abruptly with Neville and Dan leaving the bar? Our recording did.

I think I side with Neville on the money. If nothing else, Jackie should have been honest.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Ottis said:

Did that ep end abruptly with Neville and Dan leaving the bar? Our recording did.

No, you missed quite a bit.  Neville wouldn't listen to Dan about not driving, so Dan broke the window to be able to pull him out of the truck.  He got in the driver's seat (the keys were still in the ignition) and a cop showed up.  Neville started complaining to him about what Dan had done, and the cop got on him about attempting to drive drunk, so Dan tried to defuse the situation, but then the cop asked him if he'd been drinking.  Dan said yes, so the cop - without administering a breathalyzer, mind you, just deciding Dan was legally drunk (after having had one drink and a few sips of beer mere minutes before) - arrested him for DUI.

Back at the house the next day, Louise was all over Neville, mostly for making Jackie worry by disappearing.  Dan came home, released from jail, and Neville apologized, and Dan gave some speech about family taking care of each other.  They reconciled, but Dan told him he was going to have to pay the $500 for Dan to get an attorney to get this expunged from his record.  I think somewhere in there Jackie came over and they talked it out, too, but I'm fuzzy on those details.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 4/27/2023 at 11:38 PM, UYI said:

I waited until tonight to watch this--given the choice between watching this live or watching Carol Burnett's 90th birthday special on NBC, it was a no brainer to watch Carol and save this for later.

I recorded the special and watched it tonight. I adore Carol Burnett, have since I was a little kid, but I kind of expected this to be the usual cringey Hollywood honour night. 

But it was awesome, because you could see how everyone there, and there were a LOT of people, just genuinely love Carol. Whether onstage or in the audience, there was so much warmth from everyone and it was a joy to watch.

I loved that her bestie Julie Andrews was sitting beside her the whole time.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Ottis said:

So Mark’s genius idea to avoid his family was to tell them one location and then fake them out by … going to his family’s restaurant? And he is the college boy, huh.

I think I side with Neville on the money. If nothing else, Jackie should have been honest.

Yes, Jackie has to be honest with her own husband about their money issues.  And not lend out anymore money to Dan.

• Like 4
(edited)
On 4/29/2023 at 8:08 AM, emmyG said:

Mine was a lot like this. IIRC the minimum meal plan for people in the dorms was two all-you-can-eat cafeteria meals a day, breakfast and dinner (you "couldn't" bring anything out, but stealing some fruit and bagels from breakfast was common) plus a separate food credit balance that could be used to buy snacks, lunches, and saturday dinner (for some reason the cafeteria only did brunch on saturday). There were a number of non-campus restaurants signed up with the food credit system so you could order pizza delivered on it. If you blew through your food allowance before the end of the semester you could beg off friends, since I don't think they could get the cash back anyway for unused credit, but you'd still have the cafeteria meals.

If you moved into a campus apartment with a kitchen then you didn't have to have any cafeteria meals and your required credit was lower. There was a convenience store by the apartments that would take food credits.

You didn't happen to go to college in Central Florida, did you? Sounds exactly like where I went.

Calling the Connors "grifters" makes it seem like they are carnies ripping off naive people on fixed fairground games. Darlene, despite her other flaws, is kind of the opposite of a grifter since she doesn't seem to have ever gone after David for alimony or child support. Even Dan was getting "grifted" out of rent money from his kids up until a year or two ago. The only real grifters now are Becky and Harris.

Edited by Wizardpatch
  • Like 2

Nope, not in Florida.

I'm not sure David would have owed Darlene any alimony considering the circumstances but he should have been paying child support. Still wondering if that's going to come up in this week's episode or if the writers are never going to touch that question.

• Like 4