Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: The Heir

Neptune
  • Start Topic

“The Heir” – When a woman shows up claiming to be the rightful heir to Woodstone Mansion, Sam (Rose McGiver) and Jay (Utkarsh Ambudkar) enlist the help of a lawyer. Meanwhile, Isaac (Brandon Scott Jones) tries to decide how to spend half of Sam’s advance on his autobiography. Also, a surprise event takes place that could dramatically change life at the manor. May 11

• Like 1

The BBC series had a similar plot in season 3, and the ghosts came to Alison's rescue.  I'm curious how they'll resolve things on CBS, but it probably will also involve some ghostly meddling.

• Useful 3

Not the cliffhanger I was expecting but overall decent episode.

Yeah, the UK version had something similar with someone pretending to be Allison's relative and trying to fraud her.

Now we have to wait (who know till when due to writer's strike) on who got sucked off.

I think it was one of the lesser ghosts like 80s prom girl or Crash or even *gasp* Nigel!

• Like 24

"How wonderfully bureaucratic!" 

I guess people in a strip club aren't paying too much attention to the other patrons but maybe Jay should have been sitting with Sam so she didn't appear to be talking to thin air..? 

1 minute ago, greekmom said:

I think it was one of the lesser ghosts like 80s prom girl or Crash or even *gasp* Nigel!

That's what I was thinking. Maybe attic girl got her happy ending with basement guy and they went together... I hope it's not Nigel; wouldn't want Isaac to be left behind.

• Like 14
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 3
On 5/4/2023 at 11:24 PM, possibilities said:

Surely the estate went through probate already and it's too late to contest it.

I think you have 3 years to find lost heirs.

I think Nigel got sucked off.  Possibly Isaac.  they did just conclude unfinished business of a sort.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 3

Okay, I don't even know what to freak out over first, THAT ENDING, or the fact that ISAAC AND NIGEL GOT ENGAGED AND THEY'RE GOING TO MOVE IN TOGETHER OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG! That was SO cute and made me SO happy! The HUG! If ever there was a moment for this gif....
Oh My God Omg GIF by The Office

But daaaaaaaaaaaaamn, so who the hell got sucked off? Supposedly? I'm with everyone else that it's likely either some minor ghost, or it looks like someone got sucked off, but they actually didn't and something else happened. Hm. 

(On that note, Thor's "Just hope he didn't get sucked off." in response to David dying at the strip club cracked me the hell up XD. As did the whole "Maury" bit, and Trevor's thing about "conjugal visits" later on.)

I love how Sam and Jay went all out to disprove that Sophie's claims, going so far as to go to the strip club where David died and meet up with him to get confirmation of whether or not her story is true. Sam's reaction to everyone she met at the strip club was hilarious XD. As was Jay trying to play cool about his knowledge of strip clubs. Maybe whatever happened to one of the ghosts at the end is still somehow connected to everything with Sophie and her "story"? 

Also love how Hetty and Alberta were able to resolve their issues. The ghost court was a great idea, and I love the new roommate setup for everyone (Flower: "I'm gonna braid your hair while you sleep!" XD). 

But god. Isaac and Nigel. What a huge step for them. I wouldn't have expected Isaac to propose this soon, but I also get why he did so, and I love seeing him overcoming his reservations and showing he's ready to move things forward with Nigel. I look very forward to seeing whatever kinds of fun stuff awaits them as they settle into living together in the same room, and what a ghost wedding will be like, whenever that happens. 

It's been a fun season, and that is one hell of a way to leave us hanging for the summer (and possibly longer, depending on what happens with the writers' strike). On to season 3!

• Like 10
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think Nigel got sucked off.  Possibly Isaac.  they did just conclude unfinished business of a sort.

Nah. I think the show's well aware of how the optics would look if they got rid of half of a same-sex couple like that, especially after they just had such a happy moment. Plus, so much fun opportunity for living together/wedding shenanigans in the future, what show would pass that up :p? 

I think it's some minor ghost, like one of the cholera group, or maybe Stephanie or something. 

• Like 14
  • Love 2
Just now, DanaK said:

Yep, a cliffhanger, and a good one, though watch it be Crash or a basement ghost be the one sucked off

Good episode

Maybe Crash finally found his head..

• Like 5
  • LOL 6

Did Jay see the "sucked off" vision?

I'm glad Hettie and Alberta made up.

I don't want to see any of the "main" ghosts leave the show, but it almost seems like a cop-out to have it be a minor character.

• Like 18

I had a feeling that lawyer was up to something. Good thing Trevor knew David Woodstone would never be at that club Kelsey claimed her mother worked at. Side tangent regarding the Woodstone family tree: I know the show always says Sam is Hetty's 5x(?) great grand niece, but that doesn't make sense to me. If Sophie was Sam's great aunt, that would make Sophie the sibling of Sam's grandparent, meaning Sam and Kelsey (if she weren't a fraud, obviously) would both be Hetty's 5x great granddaughters. Though Kelsey would've had a more direct claim to the house, of course, since Sophie was the owner.

I love that ghosts regularly hold ghost court to resolve conflicts. A year in the woods seems a bit harsh, but maybe it was intentional. Respect to Alberta for forgiving Hetty, because she honestly didn't have to do so that quickly. And there's lots of room shuffling now that Isaac and Nigel are engaged and moving in together. Though I doubt Sam would give up an entire guest room, because I think they only have like four to begin with. Maybe the ghosts should check first before moving rooms. Hetty and Flower as roommates will be hilarious, though. Hetty will definitely wake up with her hair braided one day lol.

That cliffhanger was mean! Twist of plot, as Thor would say. I really, really, really hope it isn't any of the main eight ghosts. Maybe it's Stephanie or one of the basement ghosts. I love Nancy though, so I hope it isn't her. It could be Nigel, which would be cruel, but the ghosts get sucked off once they've resolved an issue, and the engagement could be that for Nigel. 

• Like 13
  • Love 2

I’m rewatching and it seems the guy that was standing beside David Woodstone was a ghost as well given his reactions and David talking to him; I initially thought he was a living reacting to Sam talking to air

25 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

Did Jay see the "sucked off" vision?

No. He was reacting to Sam reacting

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I’m rewatching and it seems the guy that was standing beside David Woodstone was a ghost as well given his reactions and David talking to him; I initially thought he was a living reacting to Sam talking to air

Yes, he died of strip club sushi.

• Like 7
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Also love how Hetty and Alberta were able to resolve their issues. The ghost court was a great idea, and I love the new roommate setup for everyone (Flower: "I'm gonna braid your hair while you sleep!" XD). 

32 minutes ago, phalange said:

Hetty and Flower as roommates will be hilarious, though. Hetty will definitely wake up with her hair braided one day lol.

Would be kind of interesting to see Hetty with a different hairstyle, if that's possible.

We know that Alberta's real hair is already braided under her wig.  I wonder if Flower attempted to braid her wig.

Though I doubt Sam would give up an entire guest room, because I think they only have like four to begin with.

Yes, sufficient space has always been a problem.

I had a feeling that lawyer was up to something.

I know that Sam and Jay won't do it, but Dan really needs to be reported to the State Bar for punishment.  A lawyer with a gambling problem probably has attempted other criminal acts.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 14
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 4
(edited)

That's going to be some king-sized bed for $10,000.  Maybe it will have some gold-leaf on it (and I hope that Sam accounts for taxes before determining Isaac's actual share, as the IRS won't be going after him.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
33 minutes ago, Annber03 said:
44 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Nah. I think the show's well aware of how the optics would look if they got rid of half of a same-sex couple like that, especially after they just had such a happy moment. Plus, so much fun opportunity for living together/wedding shenanigans in the future, what show would pass that up :p? 

It seemed a bit rushed for Isaac to propose like that when he's been so resistant to taking their relationship to another level, but maybe he was alarmed by Nigel's reaction to the daybed.  Nigel actually shouted at him and it's the first time we've seen him really lose it like that.  Isaac might have realized that he could end up losing him if he didn't stop pulling the rug out from under him.

I really hope it's one of the other minor ghosts who got sucked off, since I've grown to like Nigel, but I, too, can't help wondering if it might be him, though to me an engagement isn't really a conclusion; it would make more sense if it happened after he said "I do."  Actually, it's more of a conclusion for Isaac because he's finally broken down the last barrier to his own self-acceptance by proposing.  But I also agree that it would be cruel and risky to do that, given how popular Nisaac are.  And, yes, the fact that it's a same-sex relationship would create considerable backlash, given how often in the past gay couples on TV and in movies have not been allowed to have realistic, enduring relationships.  (Even here I thought it was a little strange that, after Nigel accepted Isaac's proposal, they essentially bro-hugged.  If it had been a straight couple, I'd bet that they would have embraced much more romantically and kissed as well.).  Also, this relationship has been the most developed and has had the longest arc, and, as you say, there are a lot of comedic opportunities in their union--already they're squabbling and they only just got engaged--so why waste all that?

Of course, if John Hartman is perhaps leaving the show (which I haven't read anywhere) then I suppose the writers have no choice.  I doubt they'd be able to substitute another actor at this point; I don't think the fans would accept it.  Damn!! I don't want to have to wait until the fall to find out who it is.  

• Like 10
5 minutes ago, PaulE said:

It seemed a bit rushed for Isaac to propose like that when he's been so resistant to taking their relationship to another level, but maybe he was alarmed by Nigel's reaction to the daybed.  Nigel actually shouted at him and it's the first time we've seen him really lose it like that.  Isaac might have realized that he could end up losing him if he didn't stop pulling the rug out from under him.

It's funny, though, for all of Isaac's hesitation and reservations, he's actually been the one who has wound up making the big moves throughout their relationship thus far. He was the first one to say "I like you" in last season's finale, he was the one to initiate their first kiss, he was the one who suggested Nigel move into the mansion...so when you think about it like that, then this actually is not too unusual or unexpected a step for him. It seems that all he really needs much of the time is that little extra push. 

I do agree it would've been nice to see them share a kiss after they got engaged. That hug was pretty sweet, though. 

Referring to my earlier post about how just because we saw a light at the end, that doesn't even necessarily mean someone actually got sucked off - in a discussion elsewhere, someone speculated that if that's the case, if it turns out that light is due to some new ghost appearing, someone suggested that maybe Beatrice will make another appearance? Kinda similar to how Molly showed up in the Halloween episode earlier this season. Mind, Molly's appearance required a specific series of events for her to show up, but we've seen how these ghost rules can expand and shift and how even the ghosts themselves can discover new things about being ghosts that they'd never encountered before, so... 

And it'd be perfect timing for her to show up, too, given Isaac just got engaged again - be an interesting way for Isaac to reflect on his marriage to Beatrice and see what kinds of things he learns and takes away from that in regards to his future with Nigel. I'd honestly really love for that to be the case, I think that'd be a wonderful thing to explore. And it'd be a hell of a lot more pleasant outcome of this finale than someone getting sucked off would be!

Man, we are going to have a time of it speculating about that ending this summer, aren't we :p? 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

My first thought was the second happiest man got sucked off.  After reading this thread it could be that someone was cast back down to earth.

Maybe even the murderer Thomas as he shouldn't have gone up.

Months of guessing ahead of us.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Blynda said:

Maybe even the murderer Thomas as he shouldn't have gone up.

...oooooooooooooooh...

Now that would be a twist. Especially given Hetty and Alberta just patched things up. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Well since nobody in the cast seems to have gotten a major starring role elsewhere and all the actors seem to be loving doing the show, I think it is pretty safe to assume the main cast will be back in the fall or whenever the strike ends. 

But ... given that nobody knows when there will be any new episodes shot now, it also allows the show a "hedge" in case someone gets a fantastic offer elsewhere they can't really refuse.

And yeah that was an ascending white light.  Not a red hellish light so somebody did leave upwards.  I hope it is prom girl since she really doesn't add anything to the show for me and the character doesn't interest me at all.

Of course the Irish maid came down from above that time so someone could come back down after going up, but, unlike the maid they might be able to not go back up again right away.  The non-existent ghost manual is unclear about these things after all, haha.

Hope the strike ends soon for all concerned including us fans.

• Like 11
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Harvey said:

Hetty being banished to the woods would have set up a lot of funny possibilities for season 3, I wish they went through with that.

Or Alberta asking it to be reduced to 4 months so it happened during the Summer break

• Like 11
  • LOL 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, Skooma said:

...all the actors seem to be loving doing the show,...But ... given that nobody knows when there will be any new episodes shot now, it also allows the show a "hedge" in case someone gets a fantastic offer elsewhere they can't really refuse.

Wondering if the sucking-off ending of the episode could have been written before the Writers Strike was likely looming?
No:

So, when Deadline published this headline January 12 of this year: "WGA Urges Members To Disregard 'Misleading' Rumors & Strike Predictions," I can imagine the Ghosts writers 'reading between the lines' of the article and then saying to each other at their next gathering something like:
So. We should probably end the season finale with Sam and Jay in the car parked facing the Woodstone, and Sam sees a burst of light going up from the house, indicating that a ghost has been sucked off [by an offer for a career advancing opportunity while a Writers Strike appears to be extending past actors' contract renewal deadlines].

And now I'm wondering if the strike had been settled, if they would've cut the car ending and had Hetty's banishment be the cliff hanger. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, greekmom said:

I think it was one of the lesser ghosts like 80s prom girl

Not Ralph!! We hardly got to know him.

So one man's strip club is another man's heaven? I was expecting someone to approach Jay for a lap dance and Jay pointing to Sam who is sitting at a table talking to the air. It's not easy to creep-out a stripper (without being a total creep), but I think that would do it.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, appositival said:

Not Ralph!! We hardly got to know him.

So one man's strip club is another man's heaven? I was expecting someone to approach Jay for a lap dance and Jay pointing to Sam who is sitting at a table talking to the air. It's not easy to creep-out a stripper (without being a total creep), but I think that would do it.

I meant Stephanie.  Now that I think about it, it would have been funnier if the woman posing as David's daughter would have died and became a ghost to join the others. 

Edited by greekmom
  • Like 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, DanaK said:

Yep, a cliffhanger, and a good one, though watch it be Crash or a basement ghost be the one sucked off

That's what I was thinking. The obvious choice would be Hetty, since she's grown so much in recent times, or maybe Alberta since she's solved her murder and forgave a friend.

But if the last cliffhanger is any indication, it's going to be a basement ghost.

Although the reason why they rushed Alberta's murder mystery, that could have easily gone on for another season, might have been that Danielle Pinnock wants off the show. Guess we'll see.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

I’m guessing it was prom ghost that went to the final place.  Or maybe her new boyfriend?  Will we find out in four months or longer?  The writer’s strike has me nervous about the upcoming season.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Referring to my earlier post about how just because we saw a light at the end, that doesn't even necessarily mean someone actually got sucked off - in a discussion elsewhere, someone speculated that if that's the case, if it turns out that light is due to some new ghost appearing, someone suggested that maybe Beatrice will make another appearance?

Somebody went up that beam of light at very fast speeds. Nobody came down. So I think it's pretty clear that that beam sucked somebody off and sucked them off good.

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Somebody went up that beam of light at very fast speeds. Nobody came down. So I think it's pretty clear that that beam sucked somebody off and sucked them off good.

Lol dirty!

I'm going with, it was a trick of the light and somebody came down instead. Unless it was Nigel. He's the only one I could see actually getting sucked off since he still isn't technically part of the main cast. Also, that whole scene with Isaac and Thor and Sass felt kinda like a portent since they kept talking about being with someone forever as ghosts.  It would be awful for Isaac so I do hope someone came down instead. 

• Like 7