Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: The Heir

Neptune
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, incandescent said:

That's basically what happened to Thor when Sam and Jay gave him his Viking funeral.

No that was definitely the spotlight on top of the police car when the cops told them to put out the fire on their pond.  The writers set it up that way for just that reason too.  To fool the audience for 1 second then to show "gotcha" with the pull away to the cop car.

• Like 9
On 5/12/2023 at 1:08 PM, possibilities said:

I think they are avoiding the disbarring Dan decision because they’d be worried about explaining how they figured out David couldn’t be the father. 

Absent the DNA fraud, the lawyer should be fired and disbarred for not telling his clients that a large hotel chain was offering mega bucks for the Woodstone. That in and of itself would be reason enough. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 2

I was hoping Isaac would ask Sam to renovate one of the attic rooms for him and Nigel.  They're going to need the Ghosts' bedrooms at some point to expand the B&B.  

Great season finale.  I'm going to try to stay spoiler free until next season, whenever that may be.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
46 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I was hoping Isaac would ask Sam to renovate one of the attic rooms for him and Nigel.  They're going to need the Ghosts' bedrooms at some point to expand the B&B.  

Especially if they're adding a restaurant!

Maybe Jenkins gets sucked off and Isaac and Nigel do up the shed and turn that into a little place for them? Mind, I don't know how they'd get a king-sized bed in there, but still...:p. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Here are my thoughts regarding the most likely ghost to get sucked off:

Crash, Stephanie, or Nancy: We know them but not too emotionally invested.

Hetty or Alberta: We will be sad and miss them but happy they reached the ultimate goal of Heaven.

Isaac or Nigel: My heart will break if one got sucked up without the other. 

Final thought: Like a few others, I am wondering if it's Alberta. Her mystery is solved and she forgave Hetty. What else is there? Maybe the actress wants to move on? The mystery seemed rushed in it's conclusion (they could have milked it for at least one more season). Also, they seemed to have dropped Pete's crush on her.

But as a Supernatural fan, ending up in heaven or hell doesn't mean you can't come back. Multiple times. Of course if it's a main ghost, that would cheapen it, but maybe "whoever" can come back someday to say a final goodbye, or maybe come back for the next ghost who get sucked up. There's no death manual 👻😆

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
23 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

That isn't how unions work. They don't want to make anything easier. 

And you can bet that any monetary gains they get for the writers will not be passed on to the advertisers. They’ll hit the cable, satellite, and streaming services (more customer interruptions), and we’ll end up paying more. Remember when Prime was $89 annually? Now, it’s twice that.  And monthly, Britbox has gone up a dollar each year I’ve had it (so, $12, annually). 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
20 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Here are my thoughts regarding the most likely ghost to get sucked off:

Crash, Stephanie, or Nancy: We know them but not too emotionally invested.

Hetty or Alberta: We will be sad and miss them but happy they reached the ultimate goal of Heaven.

Isaac or Nigel: My heart will break if one got sucked up without the other. 

Final thought: Like a few others, I am wondering if it's Alberta. Her mystery is solved and she forgave Hetty. What else is there? Maybe the actress wants to move on? The mystery seemed rushed in it's conclusion (they could have milked it for at least one more season). Also, they seemed to have dropped Pete's crush on her.

But as a Supernatural fan, ending up in heaven or hell doesn't mean you can't come back. Multiple times. Of course if it's a main ghost, that would cheapen it, but maybe "whoever" can come back someday to say a final goodbye, or maybe come back for the next ghost who get sucked up. There's no death manual 👻😆

I don't think it's Alberta. Danielle Pinnock posted on Twitter  that she was thinking about giving up acting before she landed the role of Alberta. It wouldn't be a good look if Alberta left and made the cast less diverse.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Alberta and Sasappis are hopefully safe, because exiting off either of the only two people of color out of eight ghosts (or one of three out of a main cast of ten) is a BAD look. Same for Isaac and Nigel carrying the entire load of queer representation. 

Flower has done a fair bit of character progression this season, but it’s been a while since she had a mainline story episode, so probably not her. Same goes for Thor and Pete. Doubt that it’s Trevor. Possibly Hetty, but I feel like it can’t be her. I definitely lean toward it being a minor recurring ghost. 

• Like 3

I rewatched this episode the other night, and it hit me that thus far, the only time we've ever actually seen a ghost get sucked off was when the person was dying and the ghosts were waiting to see if their spirit would stick around or get sucked off, like in the pilot episode. We've not yet seen someone who was already a ghost and hanging around the house for a period of time get sucked off. 

So I wonder if the process of getting "sucked off" plays out a little differently depending on how long one's been a ghost when it happens. And didn't the ghosts themselves say once that it's not a common occurrence, either? I want to say Hetty said she'd only seen it happen once or twice? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

It wouldn't be a good look if Alberta left and made the cast less diverse.

2 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Alberta and Sasappis are hopefully safe, because exiting off either of the only two people of color out of eight ghosts (or one of three out of a main cast of ten) is a BAD look.

Not that I want any of them to leave, but they just added a new POC Character (Jay's friend) so it's not like that would cause any issues. And they can introduce a new POC ghost any time if they worry about not being diverse enough.

That said, Sassapis is probably the most immature ghost of them all with not much character development, so there's no chance it's him.

The actress who plays Flower… Does she consider herself a person of color? Flower’s characterization is overtly “hippy” but it doesn’t exclude other identities; I don’t remember if the show has addressed it.

The only way one of the main ghosts is getting sucked off is if the actor has chosen to leave the show. The show runners know that it is the ensemble that made this a hit. They won't elect to get rid of any member of that group if they don't have to. 

So either, a) an actor wanted off, in which case diversity or character story resolution has nothing to do with it, b) it is one of the lesser ghosts, like Stephanie (the most likely IMO) or Crash, or Nigel's former shed mates (we haven't seen them in a while have we?) or c) whoever it is decides to come back. (if that's the case, my money is on Nigel or Isaac, as they got their "unfinished business" finished, but might decide that it isn't enough, they actually want to have the ever after part of happily ever after, at least for a little while. Unless they can go together, I don't see either of them wanting to go moments after getting engaged). 

• Like 8

I believe the main ghost actors all signed 5-to-7 year contracts when the show began. It could be Nigel unless they plan to add John Hartman to the main cast. Thor and Flower happen to be my least favorite ghosts but I don't think it's either one of them. I'll go with Crash or Stephanie.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

How could Crash have finished his unfinished business, when he can't even keep track of his head?

He didn't seem even a tiny bit resolved when he had his head, either. He was still sexually harassing Flower. He didn't seem to have changed at all, from what we've heard about him.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

So either, a) an actor wanted off, in which case diversity or character story resolution has nothing to do with it, b) it is one of the lesser ghosts,

The issue with it being a minor ghost, it seems to me, is that it really won’t matter much if Stephanie or Crash or Jenkins are sucked off. What would really be the point of it? Whereas a main ghost or Nigel (who’s the most important of the lesser ghosts) would make much more of an impact on the others if they were gone. We’d see how the others would deal with the loss. For instance, Isaac would essentially be widowed if Nigel were sucked off. But I’m liking the idea of someone coming back because they’d rather stay.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

the only time we've ever actually seen a ghost get sucked off was when the person was dying and the ghosts were waiting to see if their spirit would stick around or get sucked off, like in the pilot episode. We've not yet seen someone who was already a ghost and hanging around the house for a period of time get sucked off. 

Actually,  we did see Sam's mom get sucked off, although she wasn't in the house 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
26 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Actually,  we did see Sam's mom get sucked off, although she wasn't in the house 

Oh, damn, that's right, I forgot about that. Okay, well, scratch that theory, then :p.

I'm honestly coming around to the idea that that light was someone coming down to visit, though, instead of going up. I really think that's where they may wind up going with the story. The fact that Sam even said, 'I think one of the ghosts just got sucked off..." - maybe having her say "think" was the writers' way to leave the door open to potentially go that route instead. 

• Like 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

It's a cliffhanger.  I'm going with the theory that the beam of light is a red herring.  I will be surprised if any of the regulars got "sucked off."  

The cliffhanger beam of light allows the writers to easily eliminate any character played by an actor who might get poached in the Writers Strike shuffle, and look prescient while doing the elimination.
And if they do have to write out a regular character, there will likely be far less distracting social media outrage over it if the tweeters and posters have had 3 or more months to speculated over and brace themselves for such a loss. 

But the beam of like as a red herring can also be a fun reveal in the person of Basement Nancy explaining it was some plague person from the basement [perhaps never before seen by the viewing audience] with an interesting story that I cannot fathom at the moment.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

Whoever goes, the reactions of the other ghosts has some story potential.

Also, they don't always pay off things they say in the media. I recall them joking (?) that they might give us an episode with a dinosaur. I took it as a joke at the time, but they truly haven't given us much in the way of origin flashbacks, and I'd like to see more of that in future. 

• Like 4
23 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I rewatched this episode the other night, and it hit me that thus far, the only time we've ever actually seen a ghost get sucked off was when the person was dying and the ghosts were waiting to see if their spirit would stick around or get sucked off, like in the pilot episode. We've not yet seen someone who was already a ghost and hanging around the house for a period of time get sucked off. 

So I wonder if the process of getting "sucked off" plays out a little differently depending on how long one's been a ghost when it happens. And didn't the ghosts themselves say once that it's not a common occurrence, either? I want to say Hetty said she'd only seen it happen once or twice? 

I think we saw Sam's mom ghost get sucked off while at the restaurant.

• Like 1
On 5/14/2023 at 4:28 PM, Snow Apple said:

Also, they seemed to have dropped Pete's crush on her.

I don't think they have: in the episode where Stephanie woke up someone said that everyone is now paired off and Alberta said, most emphatically, "not everyone" and we saw Pete look dejected; in this episode Alberta was wondering with whom she'd talk about Jason Mamoa if Hetty was exiled and Pete offered to "objectify" (his word) him with her (I took this to be an attempt by Pete to spend more time with Alberta) so I think that there are still signs that Pete is interested in Alberta (and that Alberta is definitely not interested in Pete) it's just that they're little signs and not a huge, flashing sign saying "look Pete likes Alberta." I think that there's been other small signs but these were the only ones that I remember. 

• Like 9

OK, I've decided. The red beam is actually aliens beaming down to Woodstone.  This is when we find out that Flower is actually an alien, because the other aliens look like bears and they call her Agent Flower.

I can't decide if it would be funnier if the Bearazoids can or can't see ghosts.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But the beam of like as a red herring can also be a fun reveal in the person of Basement Nancy explaining it was some plague person from the basement [perhaps never before seen by the viewing audience] with an interesting story that I cannot fathom at the moment.

Isaac, upon discovering that a king size bed does not cost $10k, decides to spread the love and buys a new boiler (was it that or hot water heater, or are they the same thing (don't own a home, no clue)) for the basement ghosts. One of the BG's is so elated by the new whatever it is they wanted, that they get sucked off.

Though I think my money is on the dude Stephanie hooked up with. I don't think they'd get rid of her if they don't have to (though I wouldn't miss her) and her whole schtick is that she's a bitchy teen. Giving her a BF would tone down her the one character trait she has, so it just makes sense to take him away again. Or they could both go. I'd be cool with that. 

2 hours ago, christie said:

I don't think they have: in the episode where Stephanie woke up someone said that everyone is now paired off and Alberta said, most emphatically, "not everyone" and we saw Pete look dejected; in this episode Alberta was wondering with whom she'd talk about Jason Mamoa if Hetty was exiled and Pete offered to "objectify" (his word) him with her (I took this to be an attempt by Pete to spend more time with Alberta) so I think that there are still signs that Pete is interested in Alberta (and that Alberta is definitely not interested in Pete) it's just that they're little signs and not a huge, flashing sign saying "look Pete likes Alberta." I think that there's been other small signs but these were the only ones that I remember. 

Agreed. It's still there, it's just toned down a bit. I really, really, really, as much as I love both Pete and Alberta, hope they don't ever get them together because I can't stand the idea that if a guy is persistent he can get a woman to fall for him. It is a very dangerous message that needs to stop and Ghosts is better than that. Not that Pete has ever been pushy about it, it's just something that I personally can't stand. (I sadly have experience with it, and so am super sensitive to it). 

Maybe some day a nice woman who appreciates Pete exactly as he is will die on the property and he can have the love he deserves. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
28 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Agreed. It's still there, it's just toned down a bit. I really, really, really, as much as I love both Pete and Alberta, hope they don't ever get them together because I can't stand the idea that if a guy is persistent he can get a woman to fall for him. It is a very dangerous message that needs to stop and Ghosts is better than that. Not that Pete has ever been pushy about it, it's just something that I personally can't stand. (I sadly have experience with it, and so am super sensitive to it). 

Maybe some day a nice woman who appreciates Pete exactly as he is will die on the property and he can have the love he deserves. 

Agreed and agreed.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I actually think someone new dying on the property could be a good plot. Having them come to terms with being dead but not dead. A female ghost could crate a Pete and Sas love trian . (Flower would just tell them to be a throuple)

I’m not sure who I want to be sucked off. Losing any of the main cast would be hard, and I agree I don’t know if a ghost lie Stephanie would have a major impact. But, seeing her sucked off would show the rest that it is possible, and we might see some of them trying to be the next or trying not to because they want to stay. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Trillium said:

A female ghost could crate a Pete and Sas love trian . (Flower would just tell them to be a throuple)

it would be kind of fun to see them falling over each other to woo the new girl. I'm sure Trevor would get in on the action. And maybe Hetty would get a little jealous. If not now, I do think that at some point they should bring in a new ghost, just to mix things up. I only worry that the cast is pretty big already so it might take time away from our ghosts, though it could also free up the actors to do other stuff and not want to leave so... 

I would love to see a ghost having to adjust to being a ghost, either a new one that dies on site, or a flashback of our ghosts being ghosted. Preferable flashbacks because I love our ghosts and want to see more of their pasts. 

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Though I think my money is on the dude Stephanie hooked up with. I don't think they'd get rid of her if they don't have to (though I wouldn't miss her) and her whole schtick is that she's a bitchy teen. Giving her a BF would tone down her the one character trait she has, so it just makes sense to take him away again. Or they could both go. I'd be cool with that. 

Teen angst over the loss of a boyfriend who moves away or goes to college or (in my day and probably Stephanie's) gets drafted and sent away is a very character appropriate story for Stephanie that could be illustrated by the cute basement ghost getting sucked off because he was so surprisingly thrilled and delighted to get a hot girlfriend after hundreds of years in the basement.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

the cute basement ghost getting sucked off because he was so surprisingly thrilled and delighted to get a hot girlfriend after hundreds of years in the basement.

I mean, if that isn't a reason to get sucked off I don't know what is. (hehehe)

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Isaac, upon discovering that a king size bed does not cost $10k, decides to spread the love and buys a new boiler (was it that or hot water heater, or are they the same thing (don't own a home, no clue)) for the basement ghosts. One of the BG's is so elated by the new whatever it is they wanted, that they get sucked off.

That is exactly what I was thinking! Except I figured it was Nancy coming down with news of a new boiler (even if not entirely true) that got the basement ghosts so excited that one got sucked off.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Zanne said:

That is exactly what I was thinking! Except I figured it was Nancy coming down with news of a new boiler (even if not entirely true) that got the basement ghosts so excited that one got sucked off.

Oh no! Sucked off prematurely? That has got to be the worst. That would actually be pretty funny. Nancy comes up to see Sam freaking out about one of the ghosts getting sucked off. "Awe, no, that was just Martin. He though we got a new boiler. I don't know where he heard that," gives a look like they accused her though no one did. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3

Especially enjoyed these last few episodes, great way to wind down this season. I’m really looking forward to the storyline of J creating a restaurant, a destination restaurant out  of the old barn. What a great way to keep things new and interesting, without necessarily falling into the Jay and Sam have a baby sitcom trap. 

• Like 5

I thought this was a great season! I liked the little montage of all the ghost moments. My favorite this season has to be the Hetty/Trevor hookup, break up and down low affair again.

I am glad they wrapped up this fake heir plot quickly. I felt like it went on too long on the British version.

I do think Alberta is the most obvious choice for being sucked off just based on plot, but I hope it's someone more minor like Stephanie or a basement ghost, although I like Stephanie in small doses, and I hope Nancy stays forever.  I really hope it's not Nigel because I love his persnickety personality and subtle feud with Hetty. He and Isaac deserve more time to develop their relationship.

• Like 6
15 hours ago, seasons said:

Especially enjoyed these last few episodes, great way to wind down this season. I’m really looking forward to the storyline of J creating a restaurant, a destination restaurant out  of the old barn. What a great way to keep things new and interesting, without necessarily falling into the Jay and Sam have a baby sitcom trap. 

I agree the only baby I would want to see is if Rose became pregnant and they used her own baby.

• Like 1
On 5/12/2023 at 11:46 AM, Paloma said:

The funny thing is that I do genealogy for my family and am usually able to rattle off relationships of various levels of aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. for multiple branches of the tree. But I guess it's easier when you have a personal connection than when it is a fictional family.

Growing up, I had always thought that my second cousin was my double great uncle.

Keeping track of large families isn't easy, especially in our case where several siblings had married sets siblings and other relatives as well. (At my double great uncle's memorial service, one of his brothers said "Art married Grace, George married Grace's sister, and when they ran out of sisters, I married their cousin.") This wasn't the only sibling marriage, either. Thus, our family tree is extremely complicated.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 5
On 5/12/2023 at 9:15 AM, shura said:

They asked for an independent DNA test, and Dan and Kelly confessed to committing fraud.  It should be enough for an investigation, even if Jay said he had some evidence and now is not willing to explain where he got it, shouldn't it?  Dan really needs to be punished more severely than with a "get out of my house."

Sam and Jay could sue him for malpractice and get enough money to pay off whatever debts they still have on the property.

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 2
On 5/12/2023 at 10:22 AM, tennisgurl said:

"He reminds me of a man I knew who sold used longboats." 

Thor also knew what DNA was but still refers to a car as a landship. He's doing that just to annoy everyone, right?

• Like 7
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 5
(edited)
On 5/13/2023 at 5:31 PM, Skooma said:
On 5/13/2023 at 10:12 AM, incandescent said:

That's basically what happened to Thor when Sam and Jay gave him his Viking funeral.

No that was definitely the spotlight on top of the police car when the cops told them to put out the fire on their pond.  The writers set it up that way for just that reason too.  To fool the audience for 1 second then to show "gotcha" with the pull away to the cop car.

While the police car light was definitely there, both of those things could be true. I think that was deliberately left open to interpretation.

Edited by basil
5 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Keeping track of large families isn't easy, especially in our case where several siblings had married sets siblings and other relatives as well. (At my double great uncle's memorial service, one of his brothers said "Art married Grace, George married Grace's sister, and when they ran out of sisters, I married their cousin.") This wasn't the only sibling marriage, either. Thus, our family tree is extremely complicated.

When my kin discuss our genealogy, we say that "our family tree does not so much branch as twine".

To tie this back to the show, I'd love to see a Woodstone family tree, just to see how Hetty and Sam are actually related.

• Like 6
On 5/14/2023 at 6:41 AM, Daff said:
On 5/13/2023 at 6:47 AM, TVMovieBuff said:

I remember a writer's strike, there was nothing on TV but reality & game shows. That was some years ago. The impetus to settling the strike was to put better programming on and getting back to normal. For the commercial networks the importance is less now, due to the many streaming services. The writers weren't going to write anything for next season, unless they already did. That isn't how unions work. They don't want to make anything easier. 

And you can bet that any monetary gains they get for the writers will not be passed on to the advertisers

I am completely baffled by this exchange. None of it makes sense to me. Unions exist to see that people are paid fair wages, amongst other things. 

Writers are not looking for more money in this strike, they are trying not to lose their residuals and trying to keep WGA members from being replaced by artificial intelligence, which is starting to be a real possibility.

...and why on earth would any monetary gains from the strike be passed on to advertisers? That makes no sense at all.

Back to the show: I'm wondering if we might get a twofer with the mean girl and the cellar ghost? I can't believe that any of our more prominent ghosts will be taken away from us.

9 hours ago, eel21788 said:
On 5/12/2023 at 9:22 AM, tennisgurl said:

"He reminds me of a man I knew who sold used longboats." 

Thor also knew what DNA was but still refers to a car as a landship. He's doing that just to annoy everyone, right?

I think he does it to amuse himself, yes. "used longboats"?

C'mon! He's having us on.

:)

• Like 9
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, basil said:

Unions exist to see that people are paid fair wages, amongst other things. 

I agree with that statement, upon the initial inception of unions. They served a purpose once upon a time. Now, they exist merely to perpetuate themselves, their power, their bank accounts, with a few exceptions (perhaps SWG is one). Likely, if individuals are forced to pay dues, even if they don’t want to join, said “union” is one of the former.

4 hours ago, basil said:

and why on earth would any monetary gains from the strike be passed on to advertisers? That makes no sense at all.

Sorry, I left out a word: cost . The cost of the monetary gains will ultimately be passed on to the viewers. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/14/2023 at 3:42 PM, KarenX said:

The actress who plays Flower… Does she consider herself a person of color?

South American American: "Sheila is from the South Side of Chicago and went to NYU and Harvard. She is half Chilean/Mapuche and half white American. " (IMDB)

"Sheila is an alum of the CBS Diversity Showcase as a performer in 2018 and as head writer in 2019. She is a former member of the prestigious Groundlings Sunday Company and has produced and starred in a series of videos for Broadway Video’s Latino comedy studio, Mas Mejor, based on her original character ‘Marisol at the Market.’"

https://montreal.hahaha.com/en/artists/sheila-carrasco

Clearly, she is also a lot more intelligent than Flower!

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Clearly, she is also a lot more intelligent than Flower!

Well, but don’t forget Flower was admitted to law school, which means she earned a college degree and had to have had a high GPA, which requires considerable  intelligence. It was the drugs and cult that messed her up and made her such a flake.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)
On 5/16/2023 at 1:20 PM, eel21788 said:
On 5/12/2023 at 8:15 AM, shura said:

They asked for an independent DNA test, and Dan and Kelly confessed to committing fraud.  It should be enough for an investigation, even if Jay said he had some evidence and now is not willing to explain where he got it, shouldn't it?  Dan really needs to be punished more severely than with a "get out of my house."

Sam and Jay could sue him for malpractice and get enough money to pay off whatever debts they still have on the property.

I had thought for a minute that maybe the lawyer and ersatz heir had somehow died (a water heater/boiler accident? Drowning their sorrows in poisoned hootch?) and got sucked off together, but upon a rewatch, I saw they had already left the building. They are pretty bad people, though, conspiring to thieve, so they probably would have gone down, anyway.

;)

13 hours ago, Daff said:
18 hours ago, basil said:

Unions exist to see that people are paid fair wages, amongst other things. 

I agree with that statement, upon the initial inception of unions. They served a purpose once upon a time. Now, they exist merely to perpetuate themselves, their power, their bank accounts, with a few exceptions (perhaps SWG is one).

Ok, now I understand a little better, thank you. You are essentially merely repeating anti-union talking points/opinions as facts with no apparent understanding of what the current writer's strike is actually about nor even who is striking.

The SWG hasn't existed since 1954. It's the WGA that is striking, because TPTB are trying to take away not only the writers' residuals to keep for themselves but are also trying to replace living breathing writers with Artificial Intelligence.

13 hours ago, Daff said:
18 hours ago, basil said:

and why on earth would any monetary gains from the strike be passed on to advertisers? That makes no sense at all.

Sorry, I left out a word: cost . The cost of the monetary gains will ultimately be passed on to the viewers. 

Again, the WGA is not asking for "monetary gains". They are trying to hold on to their very jobs.

TPTB want to save themselves the fair wages they are already paying and stop paying any wages in the future.

If they are successful, we will be watching tv from scripts written by AI, and it is very unlikely that TPTB will be passing along those savings to viewers.

Edited by basil
  • Like 9

I don’t know if there are any old Taxi watchers here, but the character of crazy Jim Ignotowski, as played by Christopher Lloyd, was kind of a prototype of Flower. In a hilarious flashback episode we meet Jim as an uptight, letter sweatered college student. Against his better judgement he gets talked into taking a hit of pot. Immediately, he turns into the drugged out persona we know. His character also veered from total lucidity to spaced out in the blink of an eye. 

I just discovered this series and have spent the last few days down the rabbit hole of streaming episodes and reading commentaries. Such a fun show. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
53 minutes ago, basil said:

You are essentially merely repeating anti-union talking points/opinions as facts with no apparent understanding of what the current writer's strike is actually about nor even who is striking.

Different acronym, same organization. I do know the facts, and have extensive, lifelong, first hand experience with one of (if not the) largest unions affecting us today (and it’s OOC). I take issue with the very first word in the sentence above, and the associated assumptions. I create my own “talking points”, and I do my own thinking, thank you.  I did admit in my post that in some cases, unions can still benefit workers, but I merely contend that this situation will be used by all TPTB to extract more money from consumers for human creativity in the area of entertainment (I find that ironic, but maybe not). As the flock will look to these negotiations to set precedent, I do hope the negotiators are chosen wisely. Good exchange, thanks. This ride will be bumpy.

• Like 2