Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I'll be honest here (hopefully this is not off-limits chat), the idea of having my 100% Jewish ancestry available on line now and in the future terrifies me. Who knows what government will be in power down the line and what use they may make of this information?

After I converted to Christianity my dad said: "When Hitler comes again, he won't care that you converted", and I laughed...now I wouldn't laugh because although I don't expect Hitler, with what I see out in the streets of our major cities around the world, I expect someone new with the same old trope. 😿

I'm so sorry you have to feel scared, because honestly I am too. So many hugs to you.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Have you tried AO3? It is the biggest online archive and it also has original works in case you are not looking for a particular fandom. And I promise you, there are people posting who do not blush at anything. I don't think anything is off-limits there, as the idea behind it was to store all stories, including those that other websites rejected.

Thank you @JustHereForFood. AO3 came up a couple of times while I was searching  but I didn't follow up on those results because I didn't realize it had non-fanfic. After an intense period in fandom, back when it was an actual subculture and zines were in paper* I burned out on fan fic and have avoided it ever since. Blushing at nothing was one of my favorite aspects of the community. I miss my tribe.

WRT AI, it has its uses but it also has its limits. Chatbots have been very helpful for me when I'm stuck for a word or want to get some suggestions for a recipe or anything it would otherwise take me a long time to compile by skimming multiple myself. For creative projects, they're useful for brainstorming and working through ideas. Frequently, however, my prompts have been rejected because the creators of the chatbots think everyone is a child who must be protected from things they think are naughty. Lechat is the only one I found that accepted my search for the story. It came up with some reasonable suggestions but nothing that exactly matched what I want probably because what I want doesn't exist in a place the bot can search or just doesn't exist.

* You had to buy slash in person at cons, where it was kept under a table, unless you knew somebody who knew somebody and could buy it by mail. Actual mail. The internet has been a blessing and a curse for fandom as a community.

• Useful 2
1 minute ago, oliviabenson said:

I noticed there is a couple living in a van by my apartment. They been there a few weeks already. 

Maybe college students "staying" with family/friends for the summer to use shower, laundry, kitchen?
Do they seem to be going in and out of a particular home on the block? 
Or maybe the place they are "staying" (if that's right) doesn't have street parking?

Remember our fitted sheet folding discussion with the Martha Stewart video? 

I have had beige sheets for a long time. I might convert to Math Guy's dusty-lavender sheets:

His accent (Aussie?) is a bit thick for me, but at least I can see what he was doing. Turned out it was the same as what I was doing. Not the Martha Stewart trick, but the end result is the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
24 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe college students "staying" with family/friends for the summer to use shower, laundry, kitchen?
Or maybe the place they are "staying" (if that's right) doesn't have street parking?

I have had beige sheets for a long time. I might convert to Math Guy's dusty-lavender sheets:

His accent (Aussie?) is a bit thick for me, but at least I can see what he was doing. Turned out it was the same as what I was doing. Not the Martha Stewart trick, but the end result is the same.

They look 35-40 years old and do not speak English to each other. They is no street signs like no parking for cleaning etc. I don’t drive so I hope I make sense. They are obviously homeless and probably undocumented. 

• Useful 2

One of my friends quit taking her psychiatric meds and this year so far tried to unalive herself twice. I don’t know if I can stay friends with her. It’s exhausting and I feel hopeless and scared. I feel like it would be best for my health to stop being friends with her. 

I guess that makes me a a$&hole. I don’t know.

• Hugs 13

Wish all apartments in nyc had central air. I gave up and went to a cooling center and now I’m going to a fast food place to stay cold. My ac isn’t cooling my place down. I’m so miserable. 

• Hugs 9
7 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

What happened to @kristen111??? 

She was posting here a lot.

I’m here.  Why would I stay in the house when I could be in the sunshine?  Altho the traffic is horrendous wherever you go.  Anyhow, we are doing things with the little kids.  Anyone been in the City.  I don’t know if I would chance it.

• Like 12
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

One of my friends quit taking her psychiatric meds and this year so far tried to unalive herself twice. I don’t know if I can stay friends with her. It’s exhausting and I feel hopeless and scared. I feel like it would be best for my health to stop being friends with her. 

I guess that makes me a a$&hole. I don’t know.

No, it doesn't make you an AH. You aren't trained to handle people who are suffering like your friend. I hope she's getting therapy but that support needs to be from a mental health professional. You take care of you 🪷

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

No, it doesn't make you an AH. You aren't trained to handle people who are suffering like your friend. I hope she's getting therapy but that support needs to be from a mental health professional. You take care of you 🪷

She refuses to go back on meds or to see a psychiatrist. 

• Sad 7
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I have no problem with his accent, but what's up with his massive hands, and why does he keep taking the stance of someone trying to stop a runaway bull by holding his hands out?  And why does thrust all 10 outspread fingers at us while saying, "I have a fold of thirds. Thirds"?

I've had to stop at that point because he's irritating me so much.  😀

• LOL 5
23 hours ago, isalicat said:

I'll be honest here (hopefully this is not off-limits chat), the idea of having my 100% Jewish ancestry available on line now and in the future terrifies me. Who knows what government will be in power down the line and what use they may make of this information?

After I converted to Christianity my dad said: "When Hitler comes again, he won't care that you converted", and I laughed...now I wouldn't laugh because although I don't expect Hitler, with what I see out in the streets of our major cities around the world, I expect someone new with the same old trope. 😿

And re @nokat's post. I too am uncomfortable with my ancestry being online. I am not Jewish, but that fear is a valid one, given history.  To me it is one more piece of my personal information out there to be gathered by anyone. 

No one knows what could be coming in the future, what part of our makeup could be targeted for whatever reason. I'm not that interested in my far back ancestry, I know enough 4 generations back, to put my personal info into that collective pool.

LOL, I'll just rearrange my tin foil hat and be on my way....  😸

• Like 13

One of the hardest things about trying to be more serious about saving money and paying bills down is saying no to things I really want. 

Right now I really want a Ninja Creami, but it’s also a nearly $200 machine, and I know I can’t justify that in my budget right now. But I also know it’s super popular at the moment and I think it would be fun to have an ice cream maker, which is the real reason I want it, that it would be cool to make my own ice cream and try different recipes. I think I like the idea of it but ultimately am having a hard time swallowing the price. I also know I need other things more, like new clothes and a personal laptop. But darn it I can’t stop thinking of that ice cream maker even though it’s not going anywhere and I find myself wondering how much I’d use it anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes! And I surprised myself doing it. I worked several years graveyard at a local Motel and one of my jobs (to kill time) was folding sheets. they taught me the fitted sheet method and I got pretty good at it.  Now fast forward 25 years and I just didn't bother doing it anymore.

So after our discussion I went and tried, I knew I had known how to do it but got lazy and didn't. Once I had the sheet in my hands and did the first two corners together, I just whipped out the rest without thinking and it looked good! Gotta love muscle memory! My arms just "knew" what to do, wham, bang, done!. My linen closet looks so much nicer now!!

• Like 9
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

One of the hardest things about trying to be more serious about saving money and paying bills down is saying no to things I really want. 

Right now I really want a Ninja Creami, but it’s also a nearly $200 machine, and I know I can’t justify that in my budget right now. But I also know it’s super popular at the moment and I think it would be fun to have an ice cream maker, which is the real reason I want it, that it would be cool to make my own ice cream and try different recipes. I think I like the idea of it but ultimately am having a hard time swallowing the price. I also know I need other things more, like new clothes and a personal laptop. But darn it I can’t stop thinking of that ice cream maker even though it’s not going anywhere and I find myself wondering how much I’d use it anyway

From personal experience I'd say, not much!  Plus, it's not that cheap to buy the ingredients if you want something decent-tasting at the end.  For $200, you can get 40 pints of Haagen Dazs.

Can you tell we regretted buying one?  And that I'm willing to bet there are a lot of dusty ice cream machines sitting on shelves all over the country.

Have I convinced you not to do it yet?  😁

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Right now I really want a Ninja Creami, but it’s also a nearly $200 machine, and I know I can’t justify that in my budget right now.

I totally understand. I've been toying with buying one myself over the years.

But considering you probably won't eat that much ice cream, how about spending a little less money on some excellent ice cream at the nearest ice cream parlor? Twice a month? Made by a professional who knows how to make excellent ice cream?

Edited by supposebly
  • Like 14
  • Applause 2
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

To me, his accent is English. I could understand him. I have a hard time understanding Australians (I usually just nod my head...they probably thought I was an idiot 😆).  This guy was all showmanship. He could've just shown us the simple steps. I'm going to try this method. Thanks!

• Like 3
10 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I’m here.  Why would I stay in the house when I could be in the sunshine?  Altho the traffic is horrendous wherever you go.  Anyhow, we are doing things with the little kids.  Anyone been in the City.  I don’t know if I would chance it.

Nice to hear that you are ok. What sunshine? We are being roasted in NY haha. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

All the was out east.  Not too bad.  I don’t stay out too long.,  I don’t know how people in. Florida do it.

• Like 3

It's hot out there 🥵 so I spent the entire holiday 4 day "weekend" indoors. Last night, to cap it off, I enjoyed a cup of Tim Hortons hot chocolate (it's delicious--not so sweet) with loads of mini marshmallows melting on top. It felt weird doing this, but then I reminded myself that other folks keep drinking hot coffee all through these long hot summers 😊. Hurry up, September!!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I haven't done a lot of cleaning yet, and dad got to the little bedroom before me (it's his day off). I noticed that he's moved a litter tray, right next to the coffee table, and Cutie got down to use it several times. So, when he comes back indoors:

"I noticed you moved a litter tray to the living room. I wanted to do that last week, but you would have told me off, and moved it back. So, thank you, and..."

"yeah, I didn't want a litter tray in the living room..."

"I know, that's why I didn't do this myself, but he.."

"I didn't want a litter tray in the living room, but it's dirty anyway, so"
"I know, I'm just trying to tell you that he's used it several times!"

Just in case anyone thinks my dad has to put up with a long-suffering daughter. I get it from him. He holds a lot in, too and we end up venting as we're trying to figure things out. 

• Hugs 6
9 hours ago, kristen111 said:

All the was out east.  Not too bad.  I don’t stay out too long.,  I don’t know how people in. Florida do it.

Being on the south shore of Long Island, it's much cooler here b/c we are right off the Atlantic Ocean. My friends in Staten Island (which IS an island), well, they've been having temperatures of 90+ degrees for the past few days. I'd imagine Manhattan is about the same. Yesterday it topped out at a high of 80 and today it only reached 84 degrees. My son is 120 miles north of here, at a much higher elevation, and he's had 93-degree weather the past few days. It's even hotter at our mountain home in the Poconos. 

This is a big reason why I love where I live so much. Hate the taxes but love the climate. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Being on the south shore of Long Island, it's much cooler here b/c we are right off the Atlantic Ocean. My friends in Staten Island (which IS an island), well, they've been having temperatures of 90+ degrees for the past few days. I'd imagine Manhattan is about the same. Yesterday it topped out at a high of 80 and today it only reached 84 degrees. My son is 120 miles north of here, at a much higher elevation, and he's had 93-degree weather the past few days. It's even hotter at our mountain home in the Poconos. 

This is a big reason why I love where I live so much. Hate the taxes but love the climate. 

We lived in Oceanside for 28 years.  Husband retired, so we moved to a gorgeous new development near Disney.  A man can live anywhere.  Move back to New York after 18 months.  Bugs, and lots of creatures.  I was in the house for 11 months.  I missed the city, Long Island and the smell of PINE trees.Im on the North Shore now near my kids and happy.  Thank God I have an understanding husband.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Well, I caused a bit of a ruckus in Wegmans today. I was shopping for a few things (yeah right, a few things in Wegmans!) I noticed that I was slipslidin' away as l was walking around. When I hit the check out, the cashier said the bag of granulated sugar was leaking. It was all over the checkout, & *on the floor* there. I apologized to everyone as cleanup crews came. Finally, I got checked out and went to pick up the thin crust pizza I'd ordered. As I was waiting for them to get the box, I noticed stuff on the floor. Yeah...sugar, from when I'd earlier stopped by to order a pizza. I let them know about the sugar on the floor, apologized, grabbed my pizza and got the hell out of Wegmans!  All the Wegmans folks were kind, said not to worry. Good people 🤗

• Like 2
  • Hugs 5
  • LOL 3

Someone ahead of me in line at the store had a leaking bag of sugar a few weeks ago, and, good lords, that made for a slippery floor!  It was confined to the checkout line, so must have torn when he removed it from his cart. 

(Also, thanks a lot for "slipsidin' away", as now that song is stuck in my head -- and I only know the chorus, so it's just those four lines over and over.  Get out of my head, Paul Simon!)

• Like 1
  • Wink 3
  • LOL 5
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Someone ahead of me in line at the store had a leaking bag of sugar a few weeks ago, and, good lords, that made for a slippery floor!  It was confined to the checkout line, so must have torn when he removed it from his cart. 

(Also, thanks a lot for "slipsidin' away", as now that song is stuck in my head -- and I only know the chorus, so it's just those four lines over and over.  Get out of my head, Paul Simon!)

Who knows...it could've already been leaking as he moved through the store. Such a bizarre supermarket experience. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Who knows...it could've already been leaking as he moved through the store.

The manager happened by while one of the janitors was cleaning it up, and asked her to make sure it wasn't anywhere else when there was no trail beyond the checkout line; she came back just as I was finishing and reported there wasn't.  Having stood in it, I understood the need to check -- I was surprised by how slippery it was.

• Useful 3

Y'know...I kept looking at the soles of my sneakers as I made my way through the *entire*  🙄 store as I knew I'd stepped in something. I bet they're still sweeping up all over the store 🥴.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, I caused a bit of a ruckus in Wegmans today. I was shopping for a few things (yeah right, a few things in Wegmans!) I noticed that I was slipslidin' away as l was walking around. When I hit the check out, the cashier said the bag of granulated sugar was leaking. It was all over the checkout, & *on the floor* there. I apologized to everyone as cleanup crews came. Finally, I got checked out and went to pick up the thin crust pizza I'd ordered. As I was waiting for them to get the box, I noticed stuff on the floor. Yeah...sugar, from when I'd earlier stopped by to order a pizza. I let them know about the sugar on the floor, apologized, grabbed my pizza and got the hell out of Wegmans!  All the Wegmans folks were kind, said not to worry. Good people 🤗

Happens to us all, sooner or later. The other day I went to cook something. I looked at the three onions I bought and completely forgot I was saving one for later. Yes, lunch was indeed a little heavy on the onion. :)

• Like 4

I have company coming. This person can’t bring their laptop on the plane. As this person is nosy, I’d like to get an inexpensive iPad that they can watch some tv on and get their mail. This person wants me to buy a tv to hang on the wall, and get cable for it! Or a smart tv and get a Firestick or the other, Roku. Anyone know of a fairly inexpensive iPad for those two things? I’m not willing to buy a tv and have cable installed for just 10 days. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 14
  • LOL 2
(edited)

@Mindthinkr - they are asking a lot of you! I certainly wouldn't have cable installed if I didn't want it!

I finally got to go home yesterday and it's so good to be back in my own bed and petting my own kitty! It's nice to be with Mr. BetyBee too! Today I'm cleaning and refilling my hummingbird feeders, deadheading my petunias etc. I don't have a ton of laundry to do, since I had easy access to washer & dryer at my house sit. We live in a condo and they painted our porch floor yesterday. It looks nice, but the landscapers blew our courtyard yesterday. I hope there are no grass blades now permanently attached to my porch now! There's no place like home!

ETA: My daughter lopped about 6 inches off my hair and my husband hasn't even noticed!

Edited by BetyBee
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

This person wants me to buy a tv to hang on the wall, and get cable for it!

Unless this person is your mother that would be a big no from me.  If you are concerned that they can't afford to buy their own stuff and you are being generous I'd get them an Amazon Fire tablet or something similar that isn't too pricey and call it a day.  If they want TV and cable you could suggest the nearest hotel.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

This person wants me to buy a tv to hang on the wall, and get cable for it! Or a smart tv and get a Firestick or the other, Roku.

Sorry, I had to laugh at the audacity of this person. And here I was, getting all worked up because an old friend of mine is coming for 2 weeks, which I thought is a quite long for a visitor who I haven't seen for more than half a day at a time in the last 30 years. At least, he doesn't expect me to buy a TV! Granted, I have a very big one already and have a guest account on my desktop computer for such cases.

Can't you create a guest account for your guest on your laptop that doesn't give them access to your stuff? That's what I do. No need to input anything but keeps your stuff safe from prying eyes.

I googled it and it seems that is a bit of an issue with ipads.https://www.imore.com/how-use-guided-access-put-your-ipad-or-iphone-guest-user-mode

On Windows, it's fairly easy. https://www.howtogeek.com/779862/how-to-create-a-guest-account-on-windows-11/

I think "inexpensive" and "iPad" are oxymoronic. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, supposebly said:

I think "inexpensive" and "iPad" are oxymoronic. 😉

Yeah, there is no such thing as an inexpensive Apple product. You can find a cheap Android based tablet or a Kindle Fire, but nothing that runs on IOS is going to be under $100.

• Like 5

There is no such rule, unless the visitor is flying on a budget airline which charges for carry-on luggage and they don't want to pay the fee.  

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have company coming. This person can’t bring their laptop on the plane. As this person is nosy, I’d like to get an inexpensive iPad that they can watch some tv on and get their mail. This person wants me to buy a tv to hang on the wall, and get cable for it! Or a smart tv and get a Firestick or the other, Roku. Anyone know of a fairly inexpensive iPad for those two things? I’m not willing to buy a tv and have cable installed for just 10 days. 

Why can't they bring their laptop on the plane?  Do they have a tablet?  Phone?  Don't get a TV/cable.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Don't get an ipad unless you want one.  That's far too pricey.  Get a fire tablet or a generic.  If you can hold out until Prime days (Jul 16-17), you'll get a good deal.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Is this person an elderly, childless, rich uncle?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 12
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Are they paying you rent?  If not they should watch whatever tv you’re watching.  It doesn’t make sense that they would expect you to buy anything.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Quof said:

which charges for carry-on luggage and they don't want to pay the fee.  

Wouldn't a laptop bag count as "personal item"? Are they charging even for that on a budget airline?

• Like 4
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Don't get an ipad unless you want one.  That's far too pricey.  Get a fire tablet or a generic.  If you can hold out until Prime days (Jul 16-17), you'll get a good deal.  

@Mindthinkr
I second (or third, or fourth) the idea of a Fire tablet. It’s been a few years, but I got one during Prime Days or something similar for I want to say under $30. Even if prices have doubled, still not a bad deal. It’s sluggish as all getout, but somehow it manages fine for streaming. Then you’ll have it as a backup/alternative to use when you need it. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
Forgot to tag mindthinker
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Today I learned I can ask (tell?) my host to buy me something expensive when I stay in their house. 

That's even weirder than my mother going out of her way to have what she believes to be my favourite foods on hand when I visit. We once had breakfast together in a diner and I used one of the little marmalade packets on my toast, since I never buy marmalade for home.  The next time I visited her house, she had bought a Costco size jar, just for me.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

This person wants me to buy a tv to hang on the wall, and get cable for it! Or a smart tv and get a Firestick or the other, Roku.

Seriously?  A grown person actually uttered those words?

Once I quit laughing, I'd have given them the name of the nearest hotel.

Since you're going to let them stay, I can't wait to hear all the things they request over the course of that stay.  "I'd like to do some sightseeing; can you run out and buy a car?"

• Like 9
  • LOL 2
8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That’s messed up. I would only do that, if they sent me the money to do it, in advance. I’ve also never heard of laptops not being allowed on a plane.  Are they prioritizing other things over the laptop? 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Is this person an elderly, childless, rich uncle?

22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I am also curious why this person can't bring their laptop.

Ooo! Is it someone in WITSEC? 
Don't answer that @Mindthinkr.
Just nod.

No. Wait. 
Is it Cher?!?

• LOL 10