Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: Latonya's Journey

• Start Topic

I followed chat because it is so fun, but I'm watching now and even though my eyes got wide at the amount of breakfast she ate (two weeks of breakfast for me) the grossest part was her foot was right up there by the food. 

• Like 7

The last 10 minutes were very sad.   Instead of lose 60 lbs, she gains 5 lbs.   SHe never really was on the program outside of the hospital was she?     Everyone blames that poor scale, and says it's broken or lying.   Latonya says she wants to do the program, but she's lying to herself.    Dr. Now has so much patience, so for him to say that she's not to come back unless she loses a lot of weight, is sad for everyone involved.   

• Like 10

Why put your body through all those trips to Houston if you won’t do anything? Just stay home and eat!  The only time she lost a bit of weight was against her will in the hospital. Tell me someone didn’t really drop off their child for her to watch. That’s dangerous. I’m guessing Ms. V really did the babysitting. 

• Like 14

LaTonya reminded me so much of my cat. Overfed, well groomed, somewhat independent, charming, sweet as pie yet manipulative, controlling and downright nasty if they don’t get their way. I wouldn’t let him out in the yard this morning and he gave me the same baby voice LaTonya pulled on Dr. Now when she wanted gourmet hospital food. Then when I turned my back he’s all, “So what you saying is I should just take my fat ass home and die!” 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 20

Fiancé Daun professed his devotion to her because (a) she is a big boned woman and (b) she got him out of prison.  Aw, what a romantic.  That's true love right there.  ❤️

9 hours ago, nokat said:

I followed chat because it is so fun, but I'm watching now and even though my eyes got wide at the amount of breakfast she ate (two weeks of breakfast for me) the grossest part was her foot was right up there by the food. 

Yes, the bed eating is possibly the worst thing about this series.  I just can't even fathom the idea.  It's a horror show to me every single time I see it. 

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

Fiancé Daun professed his devotion to her because (a) she is a big boned woman and (b) she got him out of prison.  Aw, what a romantic.  That's true love right there.  ❤️

Yes, the bed eating is possibly the worst thing about this series.  I just can't even fathom the idea.  It's a horror show to me every single time I see it. 

Ahhh.... such is love.....

I sometimes snack in bed. Nothing big, a granola bar or something. The only times I have eaten in bed are if I am sick and even then it is something small like a sandwich. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Ahhh.... such is love.....

I sometimes snack in bed. Nothing big, a granola bar or something. The only times I have eaten in bed are if I am sick and even then it is something small like a sandwich. 

But do you eat your granola bar with your foot inches away?

• LOL 3

What made me howl right out loud was when the fiance' was helping her in/out or into a different position (possibly from the wheelchair) and she kept saying "ow" in this squeaky, teeny tiny little girl voice. (no offense to little girl voices!) It almost sounded to me like the voice was dubbed in, because it certainly didn't match what I was seeing on my screen! I have fallen far if this is all it takes to entertain me anymore!

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, Cementhead said:

I can’t even handle the concept of breakfast in bed. It would make me feel like I was in the hospital 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 8
2 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I can’t even handle the concept of breakfast in bed.   

Eating in bed grosses me out. I don't understand the concept at all, plus sitting up in bed is super uncomfortable. I don't even eat on my couch anymore. I make myself sit at the kitchen counter. Hey at least she wasn't using her body as a pizza stand.

• Like 8
45 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

Eating in bed grosses me out. I don't understand the concept at all, plus sitting up in bed is super uncomfortable. I don't even eat on my couch anymore. I make myself sit at the kitchen counter. Hey at least she wasn't using her body as a pizza stand.

It doesn't bother me that much, but again, other than if I'm really sick, I don't have more than a snack. Even a few times that I was not well, I went into the kitchen. 

• Like 1

What a bloated waste of oxygen.

She sure had an award-winning litany of excuses, though. I especially like when these folks think they're literally going to starve to death if they miss one meal- LaTonya upped the ante on that one, though, by insisting-to a world famous doctor!- that medications should never be taken on an empty stomach. 

Loved finally seeing Dr. Now dust his hands and turn his back on this ingrate.

• Like 13

Two totally inconsequential observations (apologies if this was covered in chat):

1)  She had (at least) three copies of the exact same print (Eiffel Tower) hanging in her bedroom.  Buy one, get two free?

2)  Daune is NOT pronounced "Doo-ahn". 

That little girl was too adorable for words, but I was terrified when she was in front of the wheelchair as LaTonya was backing up to land in it. 

Edited by suzeecat
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, charmed1 said:

LaTonya reminded me so much of my cat. Overfed, well groomed, somewhat independent, charming, sweet as pie yet manipulative, controlling and downright nasty if they don’t get their way. I wouldn’t let him out in the yard this morning and he gave me the same baby voice LaTonya pulled on Dr. Now when she wanted gourmet hospital food. Then when I turned my back he’s all, “So what you saying is I should just take my fat ass home and die!” 

OK, this made me hoot. So, what you're saying is that your cat is a normal cat 😄 So's mine, but only a smidgen on the chubby side. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, suzeecat said:

Two totally inconsequential observations (apologies if this was covered in chat):

1)  She had (at least) three copies of the exact same print (Eiffel Tower) hanging in her bedroom.  Buy one, get two free?

2)  Daune is NOT pronounced "Doo-ahn". 

That little girl was too adorable for words, but I was terrified when she was in front of the wheelchair as LaTonya was backing up to land in it. 

2) was covered in chat. A misspelling of Duane or Day-Une. Does no one check spelling?

5 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

It doesn't bother me that much, but again, other than if I'm really sick, I don't have more than a snack. Even a few times that I was not well, I went into the kitchen. 

I mean yeah, that seems totally fine - I'm referring to these people who have the entire Old Country Buffet in their bed. The sheer volume of food coupled with a too large person in a place that is meant for sleeping (not eating) is so gross. Too many things that shouldn't go together.

It's up there with my experience when I used to work at a big company and this one guy had multiple cooking appliances and an electric toothbrush in his cube. Too many things.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Well, that’s two hours one my life I’ll never get back. Latonya made it to Houston in record time, met with Dr. Now and then NOTHING! 

I don't think she ever relocated there; I think they made the drive from LA every time she went.

Eating in bed grosses me out. I don't understand the concept at all, plus sitting up in bed is super uncomfortable. I don't even eat on my couch anymore. 

My wonderful husband brings me breakfast (a bowl of yogurt and a cup of coffee) in bed every day. I am, to put it mildly, not a morning person. I also snack a fair amount in bed - it's the most comfortable place to sit in my house. All that said, my bed is not also my bathroom and that is what really skeeves me out - when the person is bathed and uses the bathroom in bed and also eats there. Also I'm vigilant about crumbs. Crumbs in the bed are disturbing.

• Like 8

I'm sure we all had initial doubts when we heard BF Daune (oh sorry, her "fiancee" as she was quick to correct those who called him her BF) was a grateful ex-con she sprung from the pokey & a chubby chaser to boot.  But his look of disappointment, frustration & disgust every time the scale went up was just precious.  I especially enjoyed his repeated "I told you's".  Guy was trying. 

• Like 12
11 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I was terrified every time she was behind the wheel.   She couldn't walk, but she drove?   That's so dangerous to everyone one else on the road.    I doubt if there was an emergency she could react quickly.     

That is terrifying. I've seen people get in a car when they could barely walk. There were no hand controls in the car, and I'm like how do you hit the brake? Also, being that close to the air bag seems dangerous.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't think she ever relocated there; I think they made the drive from LA every time she went.

My wonderful husband brings me breakfast (a bowl of yogurt and a cup of coffee) in bed every day. I am, to put it mildly, not a morning person. I also snack a fair amount in bed - it's the most comfortable place to sit in my house. All that said, my bed is not also my bathroom and that is what really skeeves me out - when the person is bathed and uses the bathroom in bed and also eats there. Also I'm vigilant about crumbs. Crumbs in the bed are disturbing.

Yea, I don't eat in the bathroom or on the toilet! 

• Like 1
On 2/9/2023 at 9:39 PM, Snarkastikate said:

I'm sure we all had initial doubts when we heard BF Daune (oh sorry, her "fiancee" as she was quick to correct those who called him her BF) was a grateful ex-con she sprung from the pokey & a chubby chaser to boot.  But his look of disappointment, frustration & disgust every time the scale went up was just precious.  I especially enjoyed his repeated "I told you's".  Guy was trying. 

Duane was trying because if she dies he loses his meal ticket. I knew it was over when her care taker served her the massive portion of fried fish and french fries. She explained it away by saying you need "a little taste" in order to be successful in a diet. She wants to get paid so she is not going to argue with her employer.

Latonya didn't try at all, just another one who wanted the magic bullet. I agree with Chatty Cake, why did she bother putting herself through the strain of driving to Houston if she had no intention of following Dr. Now's diet? And then she had the nerve to ask him why he didn't just hospitalize her so she would be forced to lose the weight. Right there she admitted to his face that she would not comply on her own and needed to be forced. It's a waste of his time, step aside and let someone who is willing to do the work take your place.

Edited by CapeCodLuv
  • Like 8
  • Applause 1

I laughed at her comment about Dr. Now's chef cooking for her like she was Oprah Winfrey or something. And I was impressed how quick he was to respond that he was his "own chef" because I don't think anyone ever had the audacity to ask him that before.  

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

I was floored when she kept going on and on about the hospital food. I mean, a lot of patients gripe that hospital food is not haute cuisine, but she really laid the indignation on thick. "I don't eat beans! I don't eat meat like that! This looks like dog food!"

Lady, do you not know why you're in the hospital?

• Like 9
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 1
21 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

I was floored when she kept going on and on about the hospital food. I mean, a lot of patients gripe that hospital food is not haute cuisine, but she really laid the indignation on thick. "I don't eat beans! I don't eat meat like that! This looks like dog food!"

A few years ago, I was admitted to the hospital as an emergency. It was a GI issue and I was scheduled for surgery. I could not eat or drink (besides ice chips) for a few days to "clear my system". After the surgery, I got the liquid diet (Which I hate!) for a couple of days. The doctor came in one afternoon and said I would get a soft diet. I figured it would be oatmeal/pudding. I was lying sadly on the bed when the woman came in with my tray. I still remember her saying "you have chicken and pasta and some veggies". I popped up and I will tell you have so many days of no food and just liquid, that was the best damn chicken I ever had. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
49 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

If I remember correctly she said she had not eaten all the time she was in the hospital.  I think the staff would have notified Dr. Now if that was the case. While he tells people the do not need to eat because the are so big I don't think he means that literally.  While they may have the fat to give them energy you need food to supply things other than energy ; vitamins, fiber ect.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

A few years ago, I was admitted to the hospital as an emergency. It was a GI issue and I was scheduled for surgery. I could not eat or drink (besides ice chips) for a few days to "clear my system". After the surgery, I got the liquid diet (Which I hate!) for a couple of days. The doctor came in one afternoon and said I would get a soft diet. I figured it would be oatmeal/pudding. I was lying sadly on the bed when the woman came in with my tray. I still remember her saying "you have chicken and pasta and some veggies". I popped up and I will tell you have so many days of no food and just liquid, that was the best damn chicken I ever had. 

I also recently was relieved of my angry gall bladder.    The beef broth they brought me after the second procedure was so wonderful.     The food was decent, but I wasn't expecting Michelin star restaurant food.    Latonya apparently thought she would be getting everything she wanted, like that humongous breakfast buffet in the early scenes. 

The ingratitude of Latonya was horrible.    I think the thought that she would drop a lot of weight, get the surgery, and still lose the weight without limiting her food intake, or actually working on her health.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I also recently was relieved of my angry gall bladder.    The beef broth they brought me after the second procedure was so wonderful.     The food was decent, but I wasn't expecting Michelin star restaurant food.    Latonya apparently thought she would be getting everything she wanted, like that humongous breakfast buffet in the early scenes. 

The ingratitude of Latonya was horrible.    I think the thought that she would drop a lot of weight, get the surgery, and still lose the weight without limiting her food intake, or actually working on her health.   

Almost all of them think they can continue on their merry way but will lose the weight with the surgery. 

• Like 3

I wanna know how she helped get Duane out of prison? Do they mean some kind of bail? I don’t know why I even give a rats ass. 

My boy and I sit in the bed to eat due to comfort he has back issues. But what we don’t do is set up a table next to the bed and fry chicken on the bed and shit like that; so I guess we’re okay.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

I wanna know how she helped get Duane out of prison?

Remember that (thankfully) short lived series, "Inmate to Roommate,"  about prisoners being released to live with strangers who agreed to sponsor them? Maybe she was his "pen pal" and developed a romantic relationship then when he needed a place to go after he was released, he moved in with her? 

One thing about him that I appreciated was that even though he was obviously a "chubby chaser," he seemed genuinely concerned about her health and wanted her to lose some weight unlike the usual enabling feeders we often see. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 8
  • Useful 2
28 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Remember that (thankfully) short lived series, "Inmate to Roommate,"  about prisoners being released to live with strangers who agreed to sponsor them? 

Thank heavens no; because I would have felt obliged to watch that crap!

• LOL 2
15 minutes ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Thank heavens no; because I would have felt obliged to watch that crap!

It was on A&E, not TLC and I watched it during a lull in the action on one of the other shows I follow. It was more of a documentary series than reality TV. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I missed the Wednesday chat but I did record the show, watching it now.   Her delusion level is astounding.  'Don't eat that much' when her breakfast could feed our entire department at work??? 

• Like 6
17 hours ago, Hellga said:

I missed the Wednesday chat but I did record the show, watching it now.   Her delusion level is astounding.  'Don't eat that much' when her breakfast could feed our entire department at work??? 

Speaking of, I hope you're getting some much needed rest.

• Like 3

I was disappointed that the camera crew didn't get a shot of the alleged dog food meal. I really wanted to see if it looked that bad.

When she said, "I don't eat meat like that!" I was waiting for Dr. Now to say that her food preferences got her into this mess, so maybe she isn't a very good judge of what she ought to be eating.

• Like 5