Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: Latonya's Journey

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, IvySpice said:

I was disappointed that the camera crew didn't get a shot of the alleged dog food meal. I really wanted to see if it looked that bad.

When she said, "I don't eat meat like that!" I was waiting for Dr. Now to say that her food preferences got her into this mess, so maybe she isn't a very good judge of what she ought to be eating.

As someone who recently was in a hospital, it is not that bad. I had a croissant with egg and sausage, orange and apple juice. I did get pizza too.

Edited by nokat
  • Like 2

Yeah, at least at a fancy hospital, my husband and I found the food perfectly edible. It wasn't restaurant quality, but it was fine, even when he was on a "soft diet" (steamed fish, pureed veggies). Who knows if LaTonya's hospital was better or worse?

• Like 3

I had my Gall Bladder removed (yes, DaVinci), recently, and the beef broth I had the evening after surgery was the best thing I ever ate.     The way Latonya gained so much back after her hospital stay was ridiculous. 

That breakfast Latonya had looked like the breakfast buffet at an all you can eat place.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5

Dr. Now uses St. Joseph Hospital which is not a small town hospital. It was ( if I remember correctly) the first hospital in Houston so not a newcomer. I would think  the food would be decent, maybe not 4 star restaurant good, but more than adequate in taste.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, nokat said:

As someone who recently was in a hospital, it is not that bad. I had a croissant with egg and sausage, orange and apple juice. I did get pizza too.

I had an omelet with bacon. I would never have chosen it but the hospital, in order to "streamline" meals, no longer has you order what you want. They surprise you. It stinks if you get something you don't like. And ordering a meal is the highlight of the day! In the omelet case, I wanted cream of wheat with raisins (I'm weird). 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I had an omelet with bacon. I would never have chosen it but the hospital, in order to "streamline" meals, no longer has you order what you want. They surprise you. It stinks if you get something you don't like. And ordering a meal is the highlight of the day! In the omelet case, I wanted cream of wheat with raisins (I'm weird). 

I've been eating rice pudding with cinnamon and raisins in it.  Yup, I'm weird too. (had to correct raisin to rice.

Edited by nokat
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, IvySpice said:

Yeah, at least at a fancy hospital, my husband and I found the food perfectly edible. It wasn't restaurant quality, but it was fine, even when he was on a "soft diet" (steamed fish, pureed veggies). Who knows if LaTonya's hospital was better or worse?

I have a feeling it wouldn't have mattered, she just was getting what is considered an adult meal. I should say that they did give my pineapple with my pizza. There may have been words said if it was ON the pizza. I gobbled it down separately.

• Like 1

based on Latonya in the hospital sequence, I think that she is even further down the delusion scale than most poundticipants.  Level one think Dr. Now will wave a magic wand and they will magically become slim and trim and able to eat what they want but not be hungry so they won't eat much and stay slim.  Level two think that they will be able to eat as much as they want of whatever they want and stay slim and trim.  Latonya doesn't even want to lose weight, she wants Dr. Now to wave his magic wand and she would be able to move around and never hurt and keep eating whatever she wants whenever she wants in giant amounts.  I think she confused weight loss surgery and heroin.  Just shoot up large enough dose and you won't feel pain... 

On 2/12/2023 at 4:32 PM, nokat said:

Speaking of, I hope you're getting some much needed rest.

Thanks!  I am doing much better, just need to wrangle a couple carryover problems and then it will be all good, hopefully...

17 hours ago, nokat said:

My experience with hospitals is 50/50.  Some had good food, some had terrible food.  My university hospital had amazing beef barley soup, I have been trying to make as good a version for 15 years  and still not there (I also can barely remember what it was like since it's been 16 years since I moved away, which doesn't help!).  Though besides that soup, the only things that were 'really good' as opposed to 'okay' were cheesecake and glazed carrots. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Don't forget this was Latonya's second attempt to get WLS from Dr. Now. The first time, she blamed HIM for not taking her on as a patient and claimed he wasn't interested in helping her when in reality I'll bet he didn't say what she wanted to hear. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Hellga said:

based on Latonya in the hospital sequence, I think that she is even further down the delusion scale than most poundticipants.  Level one think Dr. Now will wave a magic wand and they will magically become slim and trim and able to eat what they want but not be hungry so they won't eat much and stay slim.  Level two think that they will be able to eat as much as they want of whatever they want and stay slim and trim.  Latonya doesn't even want to lose weight, she wants Dr. Now to wave his magic wand and she would be able to move around and never hurt and keep eating whatever she wants whenever she wants in giant amounts.  I think she confused weight loss surgery and heroin.  Just shoot up large enough dose and you won't feel pain... 

Thanks!  I am doing much better, just need to wrangle a couple carryover problems and then it will be all good, hopefully...

My experience with hospitals is 50/50.  Some had good food, some had terrible food.  My university hospital had amazing beef barley soup, I have been trying to make as good a version for 15 years  and still not there (I also can barely remember what it was like since it's been 16 years since I moved away, which doesn't help!).  Though besides that soup, the only things that were 'really good' as opposed to 'okay' were cheesecake and glazed carrots. 

I make both of those. I do like the beef barley soup.  I did get offered pain meds frequently. I didn't need them and hell if I get hooked on them. I can deal with a bit of pain.

• Like 4
On 2/11/2023 at 11:07 PM, Hellga said:

I missed the Wednesday chat but I did record the show, watching it now.   Her delusion level is astounding.  'Don't eat that much' when her breakfast could feed our entire department at work??? 

When the hubs and I saw that, we were both saying  "Holy s***, that's like 4 breakfasts for the two of us!" (As in, breakfast for dinner)

• Like 6
17 hours ago, Hellga said:

I had a c-section with my son. The hospital did not have good food. Even the nurse mentioned that. I remember, they gave me a  pork chop that was so hard and dry, I couldn't cut it. Meanwhile, my parents stopped on the way to pick up my ex husband a full meal from a German/Bohemian place we liked. He didn't share. 

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 3

Quite a breakfast SPREAD at Latonya’s. At first I thought there was a pigs foot on the plate with the bacon, then I realized it was her foot  

And she always has that purse nearby like Queen Elizabeth 

2A528BD7-4442-454E-BFCD-1C90F1F9213E.jpeg

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 3
  • LOL 3

I'm watching the Supersized edition, and now I'm even more scared of her driving.   She's driving with her tiptoes, because she can't put her foot on the pedals, there can't be any way for her to react quickly to traffic situations either.   She can't walk, but she can drive?      

It was so sad seeing her home health aide.    

• Like 3
21 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm watching the Supersized edition, and now I'm even more scared of her driving.   She's driving with her tiptoes, because she can't put her foot on the pedals, there can't be any way for her to react quickly to traffic situations either.   She can't walk, but she can drive?      

It was so sad seeing her home health aide.    

I watched the Supersized edition, also, and was amazed at the breakfast.  I thought she was going to die every time she moved/grunted. 

When she got to Dr. Paradise's office, I really felt scared for her fiancée when he was trying to maneuver her into the sofa. If she fell, would they have called the paramedics to help lift (I doubt that Dr. Paradise and her fiancée could have done it).  BTW, did anyone else hear her say that the consultation had been a waste of time?

Last thought:  I'll be surprised if the fiancée will marry her.  He's not shown to be an enabler.

• Like 4
On 2/17/2023 at 5:56 PM, MsVixen said:

I'll be surprised if the fiancée will marry her.  He's not shown to be an enabler.

I think he just used her for a "get out of jail free" card and as soon as he can get away from her, he will bounce. 

• Like 5
On 2/16/2023 at 8:11 PM, magemaud said:

Quite a breakfast SPREAD at Latonya’s. At first I thought there was a pigs foot on the plate with the bacon, then I realized it was her foot  

And she always has that purse nearby like Queen Elizabeth 

2A528BD7-4442-454E-BFCD-1C90F1F9213E.jpeg

In the live chat I said that that breakfast would feed a family of five, including teenagers. It must have taken her an hour to get through all that food. And it must have taken Miss V. an hour to prepare it. 

I think the purse is for tacos. Like Lupe, she needs to have purse tacos available at all times. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
37 minutes ago, JunkFoodTV said:

Was her first visit (5 years ago) something we got to see? I don't remember her if it was. 

No, this was her first visit on camera. Maybe she wanted to be on the show before but didn't get chosen. But living only an hour from Houston, it doesn't surprise me that she went to him before. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Useful 1
On 2/21/2023 at 5:27 PM, magemaud said:
On 2/21/2023 at 4:50 PM, JunkFoodTV said:

Was her first visit (5 years ago) something we got to see? I don't remember her if it was. 

No, this was her first visit on camera. Maybe she wanted to be on the show before but didn't get chosen. But living only an hour from Houston, it doesn't surprise me that she went to him before. 

And Dr. Now said she weighed in at 486 5 years ago.  So, she gained 145 in five years.  

I have to say I think Dr. Now is more direct with some of his clients then he was in the past.  He gave her some shit on her 2nd visit when he told her to lose 40 lbs and she gained 4 pounds (I think).  

I will be surprised if she actually does it and keeps the weight off.  I doubt it.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, gaPeach said:

And Dr. Now said she weighed in at 486 5 years ago.  So, she gained 145 in five years.  

So now she would meet the requirement to be on “My 600 Lb. Life”! Maybe that was her reasoning, he wouldn’t help her before because she wasn’t fat enough. 

• LOL 1
On 2/16/2023 at 8:36 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm watching the Supersized edition, and now I'm even more scared of her driving.   She's driving with her tiptoes, because she can't put her foot on the pedals, there can't be any way for her to react quickly to traffic situations either.   

Yes.  She mentioned this briefly on the regular version, while she was driving her fiancee and that other guy (who was he?), and I wondered why anyone would want to be in the car with her!

On 2/13/2023 at 12:17 AM, IvySpice said:

When she said, "I don't eat meat like that!" I was waiting for Dr. Now to say that her food preferences got her into this mess, so maybe she isn't a very good judge of what she ought to be eating.

I also thought he would/should have said that.  I also wondered why we saw none of the discussion that Dr. Now almost always has, regarding who is doing the enabling in preparing her meals and shopping.  We saw her on that one shopping trip, but she said she only does that about once a month.  So someone else is buying food the rest of the time...or maybe it's her ordering grocery delivery.  We know that the home aide can't really refuse to cook all that stuff or push back much because she wants to keep her job.  But we didn't even see any conversation from Dr. Now to the fiancee about his role in it.  On camera, we saw him pushing back to her, but maybe in real life he doesn't because he doesn't want to lose his meal ticket or lodging.