Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: How Jazz Got Her Groove Back

• Start Topic

After taking a leave of absence from Harvard, Jazz struggles with her mental health and the 100-lb weight gain from her binge eating disorder; with the support of her family, Jazz sets her sights on getting readmitted to school and getting healthy.

Original air date 2023.01.24

Please read forum mod notes prior to posting. 

ETA:  There is one thing about TLC that is consistent - their inability to properly announce their own schedule.  We now expect season 8 to start on 1/24/2023.   🤞

OMG, you mean Jazz had issues fitting in at Harvard after years of being babied and coddled at home?  That she had a hard time dealing with the rigors of college, being on her own and making her own decisions after mommy held her hand at every turn?  That can't be true!

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 7
On 1/15/2023 at 1:58 PM, princelina said:

Wasn't this last season's premise?

I don’t understand, it seem we saw this last year.  Yet it says this is new?

YES, this Maddie Mob was on last season.

Edited by Emmeline
  • Like 1

Desperate for content and so recapping everything that happened last year.  I thought for sure we'd see something new at the end.  You know, like a teaser.  Instead a big nothing burger. 

• Like 4

Jazz’s mother is going to college with her?! OMG. She did say she has a one way ticket to Boston & will stay as long as she is needed. I’m torn on this. Jazz does not seem ready to be on her own but to drag along her mom?😳 There has to be a better answer. Should have started at a local college to ease into things. And maybe get a personal trainer because she is at a quite unhealthy weight.  I wish her luck. She’s gonna need it.  

• Like 2

Not bothering to watch because it is just a rehash of last season.  I am so sad for Jazz and I hope she can salvage a life out of this mess.  Sandor and Jeanette are using her for their own fame at this point and need to back off.  And Jeanette can take a seat with her complaining that she has to do stuff for Jazz.  Jazz has been begging her to back off and let her handle things while Jeanette is insisting on shaving her legs for her and commenting on what she is packing.  Let Jazz figure it out.  She'll make mistakes like we all did, but she'll learn if Jeanette doesn't turn every mistake into a big deal.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Well, I watched something tonight.  It seemed new.  Jazz enjoyed her first year in college and came home for the summer.  It may have been a better idea to have gotten a summer job near school and the show film her there, working, hanging with friends, doing activities, and without her family.  That would be much better, imo.  

The level of obsession that Jeannette has with Jazz is disturbing.  I cracked up when Dad sends Jeanette out alone to track Jazz and see if she was safe.  Total BS, Jeanette.  The woman needs help.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The level of obsession that Jeannette has with Jazz is disturbing.  I cracked up when Dad sends Jeanette out alone to track Jazz and see if she was safe.  Total BS, Jeanette.  The woman needs help.  

Jeanette is probably more damaging to Jazz than all the transphobes in the world. I don't get how she doesn't see that she causes Jazz anxiety by telling her shes not safe etc.

Its actually pathetic how attached she still is, as good as I thought moving away would be for Jazz I thought it would be good for Jeanette too but she didn't seem to change at all while Jazz was gone for the school year its like she just bottled it all up to release on Jazz when she came home.
If I didn't think she had profoundly screwed up one of her children I would say she should foster or something but she needs to get over her issues first.

Jazz seems to be looking for someone to date to have someone to listen to her problems rather than to find someone who you have a mutual attraction with. Surely college would have been a much better place to start dating, pool of same age people and you don't have to do long distance during term time.

I thought Jacyln (formerly Jojo) was taking Jazz shopping for clothes other than moomoos but next scene she was in another moomoo. What a bad message to send that having breast implants will magically make all your problems go away, isn't that what plastic surgeons counsel against that it won't change anything but your body.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2

So Jazz goes to Harvard and is starting to adapt to her college life, making friends, participating in sports and all around vastly improving her self esteem and anxiety issues. 

Then....she goes home for the summer and Jeanette proceeds to destroy everything Jazz has worked so hard for. At least Jazz recognizes Jeanette's obsession and realizes her mother is nuts. 

Her brother is still hanging around being useless. Greg is a saint. When Jeanette started crying in their confessional it was just too much. Woman, go get a life!  

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

I agree with what you all are saying but I would add that this all seemed overly scripted and produced.  Jazz being the only one who "gets the ball" while being halfheartedly chased by the other players.  Jeanette can't really be worried that Jazz is being attacked by haters when she's accompanied by a camera crew.  Jazz seemed to be enjoying herself but had to have a minute of "social anxiety" to keep up the storyline.  A friend she hasn't seen in "several years" is throwing a party "for Jazz".  I felt like I figured out the whole year's storyline before the scenes from this season confirmed it.  And yes - even though she seemed to be enjoying her new life at Harvard - the singing group, lacrosse and rugby, attending classes and doing homework - now that she's home it's all trans! trans! trans!  That would be annoying and unhealthy even if she weren't filming it.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1

I caved and watched last night and hopefully that was enough to turn away from the rest of the season. Jeanette is psycho and needs serious therapy, which she will never get because she'll just cry about how nobody understands what a trans mom has to go through, blah blah blah fishcakes. She's insane and Greg is an enabler. He ought to insist she get therapy. And if I was her kids, I'd 86 her ability to track me, period, end of story. That's fucking crazy at their ages. CRA.ZY.

So this entire season will be about how baddies out there are trying to kill Jazz. Seriously?!? Here's an idea - get the fuck off TV and go live your life. Oh what's that? You can't because your mother needs to feed her Munchausens' by forcing her trans daughter to be on TV ad infinitum. At least Ari and Griffin have fucked off into their real lives now. This show NEEDS TO STOP. There is no 'there' there and there hasn't been an actual story line for years now. Just go away already, and let this young lady live in peace.

ETA: I'm guessing the only way Mommy Dearest and TLC could get another season squeezed out of thin air was to do it in FL because I'm betting Harvard said, "um, yeah, that's a hard no TLC". I also would bet that nobody at her school would be on this shit show. I'm guessing her life is very low key there because students at Harvard are about their own educational journey and not about being sycophants in the I Am Jazz circus, which they most likely dont give a crap about.

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 7
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 9
4 hours ago, gingerella said:

I caved and watched last night and hopefully that was enough to turn away from the rest of the season. Jeanette is psycho and needs serious therapy, which she will never get because she'll just cry about how nobody understands what a trans mom has to go through, blah blah blah fishcakes. She's insane and Greg is an enabler. He ought to insist she get therapy. And if I was her kids, I'd 86 her ability to track me, period, end of story. That's fucking crazy at their ages. CRA.ZY.

So this entire season will be about how baddies out there are trying to kill Jazz. Seriously?!? Here's an idea - get the fuck off TV and go live your life. Oh what's that? You can't because your mother needs to feed her Munchausens' by forcing her trans daughter to be on TV ad infinitum. At least Ari and Griffin have fucked off into their real lives now. This show NEEDS TO STOP. There is no 'there' there and there hasn't been an actual story line for years now. Just go away already, and let this young lady live in peace.

ETA: I'm guessing the only way Mommy Dearest and TLC could get another season squeezed out of thin air was to do it in FL because I'm betting Harvard said, "um, yeah, that's a hard no TLC". I also would bet that nobody at her school would be on this shit show. I'm guessing her life is very low key there because students at Harvard are about their own educational journey and not about being sycophants in the I Am Jazz circus, which they most likely dont give a crap about.

I previously thought that about Harvard, but not now. Apparently, they’ve lost their minds too.  
https://www.foxbusiness.com/business-leaders/kim-kardashian-lecture-harvard-business-school-gets-ripped-online

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 4

I knew better, but for some reason I decided it would be a good idea to watch this first episode and check in on Jazz after all this time rather than just keeping up by reading here.  Holy crap.  Greg and Jeanette tracking their adult children, and getting annoyed when they don't check in, is fucking nuts.  Then Jeanette, of course, takes it an additional level of crazy and actually goes to the location.  The two "kids" are still together, and the location is not the morgue or police station, so take a fucking chill pill.  Jazz should pack up her bags and go back to Boston.

Sander is as lame as a selfie museum.

I love that when Jazz was talking to her rugby friend about her mixed emotions about going home for the summer, the first thing she listed as being excited about was seeing her cats. 

And I like that the rugby group she plays with has women of all sizes.  Good way to have fun and get some exercise.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
On 1/15/2023 at 11:48 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Original air date 2023.01.24

Please read forum mod notes prior to posting. 

ETA:  There is one thing about TLC that is consistent - their inability to properly announce their own schedule.  We now expect season 8 to start on 1/24/2023.   🤞

Yes, I watched last seasons final episode.

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I wish there was less Sander.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I knew better, but for some reason I decided it would be a good idea to watch this first episode and check in on Jazz after all this time rather than just keeping up by reading here.  Holy crap.  Greg and Jeanette tracking their adult children, and getting annoyed when they don't check in, is fucking nuts.  Then Jeanette, of course, takes it an additional level of crazy and actually goes to the location.  The two "kids" are still together, and the location is not the morgue or police station, so take a fucking chill pill.  Jazz should pack up her bags and go back to Boston.

I love that when Jazz was talking to her rugby friend about her mixed emotions about going home for the summer, the first thing she listed as being excited about was seeing her cats. 

And I like that the rugby group she plays with has women of all sizes.  Good way to have fun and get some exercise.

The cat… what happened to that poor cats ear?! 😢They really need to keep them indoors. On last weeks recap episode it looked liked there was blood on his head.  Poor kitty. 
Jeannette needs to see a shrink.  She makes me furious & sad at the same time.  She did nothing with her life but be a housewife and this sadly is what happens when you waste your brain & live like a 1950’s woman. I know women who are obsessed with their children but at least they have jobs, friends and outside interests.
Of course the unexpected addition of Jazz & her complicated journey did add to the , what does she call it?, her being a mama bear or some such crap.  I can’t believe she tracks her grown children.  Are they all on the same phone plan? Why can’t the kids  turn the trackers off?   She needs serious help. And hubby is a prize winning enabler with no balls. 
In addition grandpa Jack really gives me abusive vibes. I hate the tone he takes with Jacky. ( did we ever find out what Jacky’s affliction is, btw?)

• Like 9
19 hours ago, princelina said:

I agree with what you all are saying but I would add that this all seemed overly scripted and produced.  Jazz being the only one who "gets the ball" while being halfheartedly chased by the other players. 

Also playing rugby while wearing dangly earrings and having your waist lenght hair loose

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Are they all on the same phone plan? Why can’t the kids  turn the trackers off?   She needs serious help. And hubby is a prize winning enabler with no balls. 

Seriously, what is wrong with this man? He's nice looking and successful. He doesn't need Jeanette's crap. Free Greg!

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

I was watching some of the earlier season episodes on Discovery+ that I had never seen before.  It is amazing Jazz's every whim is indulged!  Jazz (paraphrasing) "I don't like my breasts and they aren't perfect enough....I need surgery in a couple months at most".  

Greg's initial reaction is basically WTF you're not even done growing yet, and of course Jeanette is for it because it will help Jazz's depressed mental state.  

No mention is made of the COST of this unnecessary elective surgery, of course.  Thousands or probably millions of women don't have 'perfect' breasts and would love to enhance them, but in the real world, that doesn't happen for most of them.  But nothing is too good for Jazz!  They mention the potential surgery to Jack and Jacky at a golf outing, and Jacky astutely observes "if Jazz wanted a pink poodle, a pink poodle would appear at the house in a few days", basically stating that Jazz doesn't know the meaning of the word NO!  That is why she is so incredibly spoiled.  She has no concept of how lucky she is to have a father that is able to afford all of these surgeries and treatments, and she seems to think this elective procedures must be provided to her as inalienable rights.  

I get the sense Noelle gets supremely annoyed with Jazz for these same reasons based on looks and sly comments I've noticed.  When was the last time Noelle was even on the show?  I assume it must be exhausting to be around LOOK AT ME ME ME! Jazz all the time.  

Good on Ari and Griffin that they seem very accomplished and are on their way to well paying and fulfilling careers.  WTH happened to Sander?  I can imagine him in 15 years, still living in the parents house, making cringe-y 'Ally' videos, except with a beer gut and a giant bald spot.  

• Like 9
  • LOL 2

I don’t know if I can watch this season. In the previews, it seems Jeanette must have demanded in her contract that she be in every scene. Then it shows her having many more freak out sessions and worse than they were on this last episode. And her constantly putting the fear of god in Jazz about all the “haters”. 

Edited by ShaNaeNae
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I’m not sure why TLC thinks Jeannette is entertaining or even slightly amusing.  Her behavior is disturbing.  The show could have potential, but Jeanette fueling anxiety and fear in her daughter is unfortunate.  It’s not a good message and is an example of what you shouldn’t do.  Watching Michael coddle Jeanette and enable her behavior is also annoying.  To be such a smart family, they sure don’t seem very well informed.  

• Like 9
21 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m not sure why TLC thinks Jeannette is entertaining or even slightly amusing.  Her behavior is disturbing.  The show could have potential, but Jeanette fueling anxiety and fear in her daughter is unfortunate. 

IMO it's just to fuel the pre-decided-upon storyline.  Jazz wants to date, and puts up a profile as people do, but Jeanette is worried about "haters".  Jazz  gets nasty comments about being trans and decides to DO SOMETHING about it!  She hosts a rally of some sort and vows not to be broken by the haters!  Everyone comments on her stunning bravery!  Jeanette and Greg and Sander are so proud!  Etc etc etc.  We've seen this all before 🙄

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 3
On 1/25/2023 at 2:34 PM, gingerella said:

I caved and watched last night and hopefully that was enough to turn away from the rest of the season. Jeanette is psycho and needs serious therapy, which she will never get because she'll just cry about how nobody understands what a trans mom has to go through, blah blah blah fishcakes. 

Omg “blah blah blah fish cakes!”  It’s been a hot second since I’ve heard that one!!!!

On 1/25/2023 at 2:34 PM, gingerella said:

• LOL 2

Jeez Jeanette. If you are REALLY worried about Jazz, call the camera crew, they are with her. No? It's just a plot device for this season- you playing Mama Bear and crippling the emotional growth of 2 of your children. Get a job,  volunteer, go back to school, substitute teach. Just stop being overinvolved. 

And Jazz, stay up in Boston next summer. Take classes, or better- get a job. 

These people....

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

Ice Day, so am rewatching. Jeanette and Greg are/have created a monster. Just watched S3 epi. Jazz is out with convenient friend Noelle as Noelle get laser hair removal on her face. Technician accidently said "his face", then immediately changes to "her face". Noelle didn't notice, but Jazz pointed it out and wanted Noelle to be angry. Now I'm watching her explore bottom surgery. She really is an entitled person. Prob out this season. For all of her talk, she has very little empathy towards other transgender people. It's all about her journey.

1 minute ago, BAForever said:

Edited by BAForever
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, retired watcher said:

I am curious as to why Jazz was the only girl playing rugby not wearing cleats? Also, why would they be practicing if the school year is over and everyone is going home? Hmmmmmm.

I think the rugby activity was intramural at best or only tangentially related to Harvard, most likely. I couldn't read the tee shirts, but they weren't in Harvard colors.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 1/25/2023 at 8:25 AM, maggiegil said:

Jeanette is probably more damaging to Jazz than all the transphobes in the world. I don't get how she doesn't see that she causes Jazz anxiety by telling her shes not safe etc.

Its actually pathetic how attached she still is, as good as I thought moving away would be for Jazz I thought it would be good for Jeanette too but she didn't seem to change at all while Jazz was gone for the school year its like she just bottled it all up to release on Jazz when she came home.
If I didn't think she had profoundly screwed up one of her children I would say she should foster or something but she needs to get over her issues first.

Jazz seems to be looking for someone to date to have someone to listen to her problems rather than to find someone who you have a mutual attraction with. Surely college would have been a much better place to start dating, pool of same age people and you don't have to do long distance during term time.

I thought Jacyln (formerly Jojo) was taking Jazz shopping for clothes other than moomoos but next scene she was in another moomoo. What a bad message to send that having breast implants will magically make all your problems go away, isn't that what plastic surgeons counsel against that it won't change anything but your body.

Jeanette really does make everything worse.  She desperately needs therapy and to fill the holes in her life. Her mindset is very unhealthy and is harming her children. 

Jazz's description of what she is looking for was terrible.  Sounds like relationships would be all one way. 

Jaclyn has become quite a pretty young woman.  I always liked her.  I really wish her the best.  Jaclyn, much like Noelle, had such a different experience than Jazz.  Jazz is lucky to have people like Jaclyn in her life; I wish she would learn more from their experiences.    

On 1/25/2023 at 7:28 PM, nokat said:

Yes, I watched last seasons final episode.

I wish there was less Sander.

Always.  

On 1/26/2023 at 7:59 AM, Onecattoo said:

Jazz inherited mental health issues from Jeanette.  She needs serious therapy and help.  

There was one moment when I actually liked Sander.  Jazz was saying how her brain is so different and she gets lost in her head  . . . . He chimed in to remind her you don't know how other people's brains work.  A lot of people at different times feel uncomfortable at different times in social situations.  Jazz is harmed by Jeannette's overreactions to even slight discomfort. 

On 1/27/2023 at 5:55 AM, Joan van Snark said:

Good on Ari and Griffin that they seem very accomplished and are on their way to well paying and fulfilling careers.  WTH happened to Sander?  I can imagine him in 15 years, still living in the parents house, making cringe-y 'Ally' videos, except with a beer gut and a giant bald spot.  

I 100% see Sander as a 50 year old wearing heavy sandals and shorts, with ragged hair, hanging at the beach buying beer for 18 year olds and thinking they are hanging out with him because he is cool.  

• LOL 5

Three second into the new season and it's blatantly obvious any social anxiety Jazz has is 1000% exacerbated by her crazy ass mother. If she had a real therapist, not Cousin Debbie, I'd hope they'd recognize her mother is doing her no favors and be recommending she needs to stay far away from her mother and suggesting some intense therapy for mom. 

• Like 7
On 1/25/2023 at 10:25 AM, maggiegil said:

Well, it took me a little time to remember who Jojo was; so she is now Jaclyn. I wasn’t planning on watching—-so far I haven’t—but if she and Noelle are making appearances I may take a peek. I liked them and the cats, but Jeanette and her parents get on my last nerve. 
Did Jazz get breast implants?

31 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Did Jazz get breast implants?

No:

This is from several years ago, but in the next episode of this season (so spoiler alert, but nothing worth tagging), in a discussion of breast growth as a result of estrogen therapy, she says she inherited her mom's bust and confirms no subsequent surgery.

Edited by Bastet
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

No:

This is from several years ago, but in the next episode of this season (so spoiler alert, but nothing worth tagging), in a discussion of breast growth as a result of estrogen therapy, she says she inherited her mom's bust and confirms no subsequent surgery.

Thanks. I later read that Jaclyn was the one wanting implants. Still not sure if I will tune in. I am ready for Jazz to do a one or two hour update every few years. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Twopper said:

Thanks. I later read that Jaclyn was the one wanting implants. Still not sure if I will tune in. I am ready for Jazz to do a one or two hour update every few years. 

Without Jeanette, please.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
22 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Without Jeanette, please.

Yes- please no Jeannette.   How on earth did she manage the meddling and hovering with Jazz away at school?   Did she track her to classes?  "Jazz, I noticed today you were in your dorm and not World Lit".   

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
On 1/26/2023 at 4:25 AM, chediavolo said:

The cat… what happened to that poor cats ear?! 😢

Nemo was born that way (that's how he got his name; the character Nemo had a congenitally deformed tiny fin, so since this cat had a deformed ear that reminded them of that, he got the name).

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1