Type keyword(s) to search

Warm Fuzzies And Wackadoodles: All The Good Or Strange News To Share

• Start Topic

On March 31, 1927, a baby boy was born to David and Irene Bulger Daniels of Brooklyn, New York.

He would go on to have a stage and radio career from childhood onward as far back as the 1930's and then grew up to perform onto live television and movies before he was cast as John Adams in the stageplay and movie 1776 (1973). It was seeing him as this impossible and intense little man playing John Adams that first caught my attention since he was a playing a US Founding Father as someone who was somewhat difficult to like but yet the audience couldn't help but like him due to his passion to risk certain death  for doing right by his community and family. Yes, I'm referring to William Daniels who has gone a long way from both Brooklyn and Independence Hall with rather impressive and prolific career that would has lasted as recently as the mid 2010's. And to say nothing of having an inspiring union with Bonnie Bartlett (herself a prolific performer of many decades)  which itself has lasted 71 years with the two of them embracing their family of choice and is flourishing instead of just enduring despite some rather shaky  times at its start.

Happy 96th Birthday Mr. William David Daniels!

• Like 11
  • Love 6
(edited)

Filmmaker Sarah Polley who recently won the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay received a letter stating she didn't actually win the Oscar for Women Talking, All Quiet on the Western did. Polley was told the Academy didn't inform her during the ceremony as to avoid another "Year of the Moonlight" and gave her a week to "enjoy its presence" before returning the Oscar to California.

April Fools Mom!  Yes, Polley was pranked by her 11-year-old daughter and shared the letter on Twitter. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/sarah-polley-return-oscar-april-fools-day-prank-daughter-1235365530/

https://deadline.com/2023/04/women-talking-sarah-polley-told-return-oscar-april-fools-prank-1235315639/

Edited by MissAlmond
  • LOL 24
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Filmmaker Sarah Polley who recently won the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay received a letter stating she didn't actually win the Oscar for Women Talking, All Quiet on the Western did. Polley was told the Academy didn't inform her during the ceremony as to avoid another "Year of the Moonlight" and gave her a week to "enjoy its presence" before returning the Oscar to California.

April Fools Mom!  Yes, Polley was pranked by her 11-year-old daughter who shared the letter on Twitter. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/sarah-polley-return-oscar-april-fools-day-prank-daughter-1235365530/

https://deadline.com/2023/04/women-talking-sarah-polley-told-return-oscar-april-fools-prank-1235315639/

Doesn't it go against some kind of April Fools code of ethics if within the context of the prank, the pranker assures the prankee that it's not a prank?  Kind of like "you have to tell me if you're a cop!"

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Doesn't it go against some kind of April Fools code of ethics if within the context of the prank

Not when you're eleven. LOL

I love that AQOTWF filmmaker Edward Berger joined in the fun and tweeted he would send his address so Polley could ship the Oscar directly.   BTW: "The Year of the Moonlight" is a title worthy of a beautiful film. If one of the filmmakers in Polley's mentions uses it later, they need to credit and pay the kid. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 11
  • LOL 1
7 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Not when you're eleven. LOL

That is one clever 11 yr old!  I was pulling the usual salt in the sugar bowl type tricks at that age.  Mom needs to worry about what this kid is going to be like heading into her teen years 😃!

• Like 7
  • LOL 8
5 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

That is one clever 11 yr old!  I was pulling the usual salt in the sugar bowl type tricks at that age.  Mom needs to worry about what this kid is going to be like heading into her teen years 😃!

Miss Polley herself had been eleven when she starred in the Canadian series Road to Avonlea (1990-1997) (her 2nd series) so it's not entirely surprising that she'd have had a clever daughter!

• Like 6
Just now, Blergh said:

Miss Polley herself had been eleven when she starred in the Canadian series Road to Avonlea (1990-1997) (her 2nd series) so it's not entirely surprising that she'd have had a clever daughter!

She first came to my attention when she played Ramona Quimby on Ramona which aired a year or two before Road to Avonlea.  I remember thinking then that she was destined for a great career.  I'm glad time proved me right!

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
On 3/29/2023 at 5:18 PM, Bastet said:

Wow.  I'm not familiar with him, so I hadn't paid any attention beyond the headlines -- hearing the extent of his injuries, it is indeed impressive the medical team has been able to do so much for him.  I hadn't heard the part about his nephew, either.  I'll have to watch the interview to fill myself in on all this.

Let me add, it's one thing for an enlisting soldier to exclaim in theory that they'd take a bullet for their nation but here's someone who barely survived a horrific ordeal and STILL has a great deal of PT, operations and healing ahead of him . .perhaps for a good part of his life ahead. ..yet even knowing EXACTLY what he's endured so far and is enduring STILL would be willing to take ... a snowplow to spare his nephew from harm!

Now THAT epitomizes a hero!

• Like 9

I watched the Diane Sawyer special on Jeremy Renner's accident on Jan. 1st. It's surreal. I'm posting this here again because he's lucky he's not dead, he's lucky he didn't lose a leg and he's lucky he can still walk. He's lucky that he already on a cane after only 13 week. And yes, he's lucky he can afford all the help he needs--he acknowledges that. If I remember it correctly:  30 broken bones-14 ribs, 12 of which are on one side, fractured jaw, broken knee and ankle on one leg and a tibia on the other, fractured eye socket, just to name a few. His eye socket, his leg and the 12 ribs all have permanent metal in them now. They also showed how helpful he is to his community in Nevada and how much they love him there. His attitude is wonderful.  If I didn't already like him, I would after seeing this interview.

• Like 18
(edited)
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I watched the Diane Sawyer special on Jeremy Renner's accident

Me too; it was good.  There's a thread for it, if you're interested.

I'd never heard of him prior to the accident, but after watching that I think he and his family are good peeps.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Sooo, if you understand Nick Cannon you will get knocked up by Nick Cannon? RUN TAYLOR RUN!!!!!!

ETA: I am so glad I don't understand that man at all. (dodged that bullet)

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Like 2
  • Wink 3
  • LOL 14

Sometimes I have to stop listening to my public radio station because such a high percentage of the content is doom and gloom about mass shootings and war.  This morning I listened to a delightful interview with a yak farmer.  It's long, but a breath of fresh air in today's world.  The interviewee is a riot and has a great sense of humour about herself and her yaks, while taking the business seriously.  (She went from buying two yaks off Craig's List, to currently owning 80.)

https://www.opb.org/article/2023/04/10/southern-oregon-yak-rancher-expands-her-business-with-the-help-of-a-usda-grant/

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
59 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Sometimes I have to stop listening to my public radio station because such a high percentage of the content is doom and gloom about mass shootings and war.  This morning I listened to a delightful interview with a yak farmer.  It's long, but a breath of fresh air in today's world.  The interviewee is a riot and has a great sense of humour about herself and her yaks, while taking the business seriously.  (She went from buying two yaks off Craig's List, to currently owning 80.)

https://www.opb.org/article/2023/04/10/southern-oregon-yak-rancher-expands-her-business-with-the-help-of-a-usda-grant/

I guess the best part is that she's got a job where her colleagues all day go yakkity-yak  but don't talk back! LOL

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 18

Most elephants scarf their bananas whole; a few have learned how to peel them!

Pang Pha is very particular about her bananas. 

Like most of us, the Asian elephant at the Berlin Zoo prefers her bananas to be the perfect level of bright yellow ripeness. And she also likes them peeled. 

In fact, she peels them herself, using her trunk.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/banana-peeling-elephant-1.6809511

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Leeds said:

Pang Pha is very particular about her bananas. 

Like most of us, the Asian elephant at the Berlin Zoo prefers her bananas to be the perfect level of bright yellow ripeness

Pang Pha is correct. 

• Like 11
  • Wink 2

I think anyone would have complicated feelings about that, but I think Woody is really underselling the impact of finding out his dad is anyone's dad. Because his dad is a convicted hitman. You know in No Country for Old Men when Tommy Lee Jones references someone murdering a federal judge? That's from the novel, and they're talking about Woody Harrelson's dad actually killing a federal judge for a drug dealer in the late 70s. It's not the only hit he did either. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 9

I get Matthew's feelings.   The guy he called dad might not be.   But the guy who raised him IS Dad regardless of biology.   I get this a lot in family law.   There's dad, who may or may not send the child support every  month, but he certainly doesn't bother to show up, then there is Mom's current spouse who is the one helping with homework, going to games, making sure the kid knows right from wrong.   That's Dad.   Sometimes family is who you make it.

• Like 13
  • Love 2

Happy 90th Birthday, Miss Carol Creighton Burnett!Happy Birthday GIF

BTW, at the time of her birth, her father Jody was a movie theater projectionist and her mother Louise Creighton Burnett went into labor with their child while watching a movie. I'm not sure the title of the movie or who was in it but they decided to name her for the then popular movie icon Carole Lombard (who later married Clark Gable and would be the love of his life).

• Like 18

Another bit of trivia about Miss Burnett is that while it's well-known that Lucy took her under her wing from early on and considered her her protege calling her 'Kid'. What's less known is that she made sure to have Miss Burnett's birthday remembered as long as she knew her - and  beyond. Today in 1989, Lucy left this world and, to Miss Burnett's shock, flowers with a card arrived from her a few hours after her passing that said 'Happy Birthday, Kid!' -on Miss Burnett's own 56th Birthday!

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Trini said:

I'm glad Kevin Smith is doing the work to be healthier, mentally and physically.

'Kevin Smith Tells PEOPLE About His Recent Mental Health Crisis'

I'm glad too. He's lucky he had the ability to get into a treatment center that quick. I was skimming some mental health groups on Quora and saw a similar story from a woman where she woke up like that one day and seemingly had a break with reality. I was so affected after reading her account I took a screenshot of it without any identifying info. I liked the part in that article about Kevin where he said ""But I learned that there's no differentiation [between levels of trauma] to the human nervous system. Internally, trauma is trauma." which is something that can be hard to learn if you've had people use that saying about how someone always has it worse after expressing that you're feeling a particular kind of way.

2023-04-26 17.28.51.jpg

Edited by Jaded
  • Sad 8
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh God. This hurts on two levels. One, I love Michael. Two, my dad has Parkinson’s and he just turned 70.

My mom passed away at 69 due to complications from Parkinsons among other things.

• Hugs 20

In this world full of violent reality and ugly TV shows full of unpleasant characters, I am enjoying watching Portrait Artist of the Year.  A variety of professional and amateur artists compete each week by painting celebrity actors, authors, musicians, etc in the hopes of winning a small cash prize and a celebrity commission to be displayed permanently at a prestigious permanent collection.  It's full of lovely, gentle, funny characters and is calming and contemplative.  I don't have an artistic stitch in my body, but it's fascinating to watch the portraits emerge and I'm loving it.  Some of the subjects I know, many of them I don't -- doesn't matter.  (Free on Tubee.)

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 9

Here's one truly wackadoodle "entertainment" story. A few days ago, The Daily Mail - that bastion of journalism integrity - reported actor Saint von Colucci had died following multiple plastic surgeries to look like BTS singer Jimin. The story was picked up by TMZ who also reported it.  Even I saw Yahoo headlines on this story but scrolled on by. Turns out the entire thing was an elaborate hoax. There is no Saint von Colucci and photos of the "actor" were (apparently) generated by AI. Be careful of manufactured misinformation (a/k/a LIES) out there people! 

https://www.tmz.com/2023/04/27/canadian-actor-saint-von-colucci-jimin-bts/

https://variety.com/2023/film/global/jimin-saint-von-colucci-hoax-ai-1235597897/

• Mind Blown 5
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
On 4/29/2023 at 12:06 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Oh God. This hurts on two levels. One, I love Michael. Two, my dad has Parkinson’s and he just turned 70.

I don't know which is worse: Bruce Willis having early onset dementia and  increasingly losing his sense of who he is- yet somehow remaining physically strong with an impressive exterior physique- or Michael J. Fox whose mind is as brilliant as ever but  is fighting to keep coherently communicating. ..and  living for his family  despite his body breaking down at an alarming rate?

On a shallow note on myself, if I hadn't known that who Mr. Fox was and that  Mr. Fox has struggled with  Parkinson's Disease for so long, from his most recent interviews, I'd have thought the interviewee was an alcoholic derelict. I know that that's totally untrue (and unfair). However,  I suppose if nothing else good has emerged from said interviews, it will give folks pause to consider that maybe at least some folks who appear to be derelict drunks may,in fact, be struggling with Parkinson's or other serious degenerative physical conditions .

• Like 2
  • Sad 6
  • Applause 6
35 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

The Gaye estate wasn't involved in the lawsuit.  It was the heirs of the co-writer of the song, Ed Townsend.

Ooh.  I didn't read close enough.  I just assumed it was the Gaye estate because they're so litigious.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 3

In today's wackadoodle news, an apparently notorious hacker known as "10MacBooks" who targets Twitter accounts of celebrities latest victim was actor LeVar Burton. Per their usual M.O. the hacker first locked Burton's account, making it only visible to followers, then proceeded to make it appear the actor was selling 10 Mac Book Pros for charity at dirt cheap prices.  Past victims of "10MacBooks" have included Jonathan Frakes, Anya Taylor Joy, and Patton Oswalt.  Burton's account was eventually restored.

https://mashable.com/article/10-macbooks-hacker-levar-burton-account-stolen

https://www.globalvillagespace.com/tech/macbook-hacker-strikes-again-takes-levar-burtons-twitter/

• Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1

Oh good that Levar Burton's account was restored.   Because his daughter was a bit upset.   She found out she was blocked.    Her comment  was "Well either my dad has been hacked or Thanksgiving is going to be ackward this year."   Somehow the hacker evaded the 2FA.   It went  on lonnger  than it should have.   Twitter is really a mess.

• Like 7

'Forest Whitaker Launches Peace and Development Initiative in Paris'

Forest Whitaker is expanding his Whitaker Peace and Development Initiative (WPDI) with a new Community Learning Center (CLC) in the poorest area of metropolitan France.

On Wednesday, the Oscar-winning actor and star of The Butler was in Aubervilliers, a town in Seine-Saint-Denis just north of Paris, for the ribbon-cutting of the WPDI’s latest CLC. The center provides free access to courses for youth, women, and other vulnerable groups that focus on ICT, entrepreneurship, and conflict resolution.

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
(edited)

Not sure this belongs here, but The Golden Girls thread is so old/inactive I thought here could work. It gave me warm-fuzzies...

I was in our local Bed Bath & Beyond today and at the counter they had these round tins of Fernando's candies. The lid has a photo of Betty White holding Fernando close to her face and the quote "Sometimes life just isn't fair kiddo."  I loved Betty White and just couldn't resist getting one. Especially since that episode was just recently on Hallmark. That was my prize of the day. 

BBB discounts are 30% at this point and there was a fair amount of merchandise still there. If/when they get to 50% or more I may check again...

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 7
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I was in our local Bed Bath & Beyond today and at the counter they had these round tins of Fernando's candies. The lid has a photo of Betty White holding Fernando close to her face and the quote "Sometimes life just isn't fair kiddo." 

That is amazing! That is one of my all-time favorite moments on Golden Girls. Cracks me up every time. Might have to head over to BBB and get one. 

• Like 3

I think I forgot to say the candies are little brown marshmallow flavored ears, like the one the girl cut off for ransom. Yummy too!

I may have to go pick up a couple more when I go to the eye dr on Monday.

• Like 3