Type keyword(s) to search

I'm So Disappointed In You: Celebrity Misdeeds

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

How is Candace Cameron Bure cancelled? Her IMDB page shows steady work with The Hallmark Channel making Christmas specials. Bure (presumably) plans to do the same with GAF. That's a helluva a lot better than many child/teen actors who disappeared forever after their hit TV series ended its run.  

She didn’t even lose her Hallmark branded merchandise deal or her QVC gig. 

4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Until everyone believes what Candace believes and lives their lives the way Candace thinks they should she will think she is being persecuted.  At this point it's not even about religion anymore.   It's about Candace being smug and judgmental all the while saying I can't be free to live my life the way I want.  

All true but I also think she is smart enough to realize proclaiming herself a victim of cancel culture plays very well in certain spaces. I always wonder how much if this type of thing is true believers and how much is calculated. I’m not surprised by her beliefs but am a little surprised she’s decided to stop pretending to be more mainstream. In the past she always tried to portray herself as more inclusive than her brother. 

The interesting thing for me is seeing how all the people in her orbit are reacting. Andrea Barber is right by her side but Jodie Sweetin is making it clear she does not agree. 

On 2/10/2023 at 11:30 PM, AgathaC said:

I’ve thought there was something nasty and unhinged about Roseanne ever since I heard about that bizarre incident with Julia Louis-Dreyfus’s car in the 1990s. That whole thing was just ridiculous and childish.

I am now disappointed I never heard of that, since that seems like a hilarious SNL skit (or a YouTube video if it happened today), waiting to happen.

On 2/10/2023 at 11:18 PM, RealHousewife said:

Yes! Some regular people even call any criticism or backlash they get online cancel culture. It's ridiculous. 

I have said it before but it seems like the only entertainer whose career was actually cancelled was OJ Simpson's and that was almost 30 years ago.

• Like 11
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I have said it before but it seems like the only entertainer whose career was actually cancelled was OJ Simpson's and that was almost 30 years ago.

As he should have been.

There is a difference between the public cancelling someone which means we just don't watch/pay for any of their projects anymore.  I have cancelled lots of people. And a corporation or Hollywood studio cancelling someone.  NBC (or whoever owns it) cancelled Matt Lauer.  If another news organization wanted to hire Lauer they could.  If he wanted to do a podcast or something he could.  And he would probably get listeners.  

I went to IMDB to check on something and there is an ad for Roseanne's comedy special. She is so not cancelled.  You couldn't pay me to watch it.

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

I went to IMDB to check on something and there is an ad for Roseanne's comedy special. She is so not cancelled.  You couldn't pay me to watch it.

Same.  I've always been delighted that The Connors have stayed on the air without her less than gracious presence.  I remember when she was first fired there was a lot of support out there for her and a lot of people predicting The Connors would be cancelled.  Didn't happen  But despite what she may say she had her supporters then and now.  If she took a back seat for a few years I hope it was to deal with her mental health issues.  People like her will always have an audience.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 8
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

As he should have been.

Of course. I just find it interesting that the 3rd Naked Gun movie came out in 1994 (the same year as the murders) and made crap load of money. So even though OJ wasn't the star, if he hadn't been a murderer he probably could have made a decent living doing cameos and bit parts in other spoof movies. But even though he was acquitted, there is obviously some things you can do where no one in Hollywood will hire you afterwards.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Of course. I just find it interesting that the 3rd Naked Gun movie came out in 1994 (the same year as the murders) and made crap load of money. So even though OJ wasn't the star, if he hadn't been a murderer he probably could have made a decent living doing cameos and bit parts in other spoof movies. But even though he was acquitted, there is obviously some things you can do where no one in Hollywood will hire you afterwards.

I only recently in the last couple years rewatched the Naked Gun movies.  I didn't watch them for almost 30 years because I had cancelled OJ.  

According to people who knew OJ he thought after he was acquitted he could go right back to his life the way it was before the murders.  I was happy to see he was never given the opportunity to make a comeback.  

• Like 12
51 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

According to people who knew OJ he thought after he was acquitted he could go right back to his life the way it was before the murders.  I was happy to see he was never given the opportunity to make a comeback.  

OJ not making a comeback after his acquittal in the criminal trial had little to do with people cancelling him.  What tripped up OJ was the wrongful death lawsuit brought by Fred Goldman and OJ doing everything he could not to pay that.  OJ did get a book deal for If I Did It until that fell through.  The only person who cancelled OJ was OJ.  

• Like 11
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Same.  It's on some Fox streaming service; there was an ad for that service during the Super Bowl (which aired on FOX) and they showed clips of nothing but loathsome programming.  Except for a Yellowstone (the national park, not the TV series) documentary that I might watch if it was elsewhere, and now I'm side-eyeing Kevin Costner (whom I've never liked other than one or two things out of his entire career) very hard for aligning himself with such a platform.

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The only person who cancelled OJ was OJ.  

That's true of all these whiners.  That's why "cancel culture" is bullshit, it's just there being consequences for what people choose to do or say.  They're just pissed that people who do/say the things they do used to get a free pass, and now sometimes some of them suffer a little setback.  Boo hoo.

• Like 13
  • Applause 9
  • LOL 1
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

now I'm side-eyeing Kevin Costner (whom I've never liked other than one or two things out of his entire career) very hard for aligning himself with such a platform.

I thought the same thing.

20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's true of all these whiners.  That's why "cancel culture" is bullshit, it's just there being consequences for what people choose to do or say.  They're just pissed that people who do/say the things they do used to get a free pass, and now sometimes some of them suffer a little setback.  Boo hoo.

As my friend @RealHousewife said when you are used to always getting your way consequences feels like oppression.  So Louie CK can't whip his dick out anymore.  So Roseanne can't tweet racist things.  IMO the world is better place because of those two things no longer being tolerated.  But those two people and a bunch of other "cancelled" people still get to do whatever they want just not to the wider audiences they were used to.  

And of course some Fox streaming service would give her a special.  Who else would?

• Like 17
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

You know what I have yet to see? An apology campaign for Sinead O'Connor, who 31 years ago tore up a picture of the Pope on SNL in protest of the Catholic church. Despite the horrific truth about the Catholic church that was exposed years later, not one person seems to care that O'Connor's career was well and truly destroyed. No one cares that she was genuinely hurt by the Catholic church (she's the most famous inmate of the Magdalene laundries). No one cares that she has since lost a child. Something she did 31 years ago (that's downright innocuous when you think about it) will forever haunt and taint her image. 

That is "cancellation". Everyone else can quit their damn whining. 

For what it’s worth, care that her life got so messed up for nothing. And yeah, compared to the other shit that’s been going on lately, what she did on SNL was pretty tame.

• Like 20
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

It's ironic and sad that O'Connor got cancelled for basically telling the truth.  And yet people can lie with abandon and nothing happens to them.  

Years ago a human behavior teacher told my class if you want people to freak out tell the truth.  I've often thought about that over the years when I see people suffer so much shit for simply being honest.

Seriously! You have deranged morons everywhere you look screaming themselves hoarse about how they're "telling and defending the truth" when all they're doing is pulling bullshit out of fat air*, but when someone actually does tell the truth, they get ignored or worse!

*I like the First Amendment as much as anyone else, and if you want to pull bullshit out of fat air, that's your right. 

But.

Do. Not. Call. It. The. Truth. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 4
10 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

OJ not making a comeback after his acquittal in the criminal trial had little to do with people cancelling him.  What tripped up OJ was the wrongful death lawsuit brought by Fred Goldman and OJ doing everything he could not to pay that.  OJ did get a book deal for If I Did It until that fell through.  The only person who cancelled OJ was OJ.  

Maybe but I am not sure. I looked it up and it was like a year between the end of the criminal trial and the start of the civil trial. And after he was acquitted I remember lots of jokes about how much golf he was playing. So I imagine if some producer said they wanted him for a part in Hot Shots Part Trois or something he probably would have said yes. The fact that no one did makes me think no one wanted to be associated with him (unless they were getting Norm MacDonald fired).

• Like 4

For some reason Kelsea Ballerini started dissing her ex husband about their breakup.  She shared lots of personal info like where she was sleeping and their marital counseling.  Idk, but that seems a little TMI.  I’ve always liked her, so I was disappointed.  So was her ex.  He’s not saying much, except that she’s lying about it.  Hmmmm…I can’t see this helping either of their careers.  

https://people.com/country/morgan-evans-says-kelsea-ballerini-isnt-sharing-reality-about-their-divorce/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 4
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

For some reason Kelsea Ballerini started dissing her ex husband about their breakup.  She shared lots of personal info like where she was sleeping and their marital counseling.  Idk, but that seems a little TMI.  I’ve always liked her, so I was disappointed.  So was her ex.  He’s not saying much, except that she’s lying about it.  Hmmmm…I can’t see this helping either of their careers.  

https://people.com/country/morgan-evans-says-kelsea-ballerini-isnt-sharing-reality-about-their-divorce/

I didn’t even know they were married and only know what was in the posted article so I may be missing a lot of context but I don’t see anything bad it what she’s saying. If he is going to release a song that she blindsided him with the divorce, I don’t think he has much moral high ground when she goes on a podcast to talk about the split. She’s also saying he was lying by saying he was blindsided. Seems like she’s just walking through the door he opened.

5 hours ago, Dani said:

She’s also saying he was lying by saying he was blindsided. Seems like she’s just walking through the door he opened.

"As he's putting out a song about being blindsided, he's taking half the house that he didn't pay for." Great line

• Like 3

To me her interview was different from writing a song.  And blaming your spouse for accepting their half of marital assets is petty and mean, imo.  I like both of their music, but I’d rather there wasn’t this public feud. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 3
50 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

To me her interview was different from writing a song.  And blaming your spouse for accepting their half of marital assets is petty and mean, imo.  I like both of their music, but I’d rather their wasn’t this public feud. 

Personally, I almost never have an issue with either spouse telling their version. It’s their story to tell so I’m fine with both their songs and her interview. If anything, I think an interview is a better option. Song lyrics invite endless and often ridiculous speculation.

Neither is even saying anything all that damning. He claims he was blindsided and she is basically saying they grew apart. The two statements aren’t even mutually exclusive. Just different perspectives.

I just find his recent statement hypocritical and see a few red flags in how he is handling things. 

As a side note, it wasn’t until this that I learned Kelsea witnessed a school shooting. I’m curious to see what else she has to say and may listen to the podcast. 

52 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, I guess this shouldn’t be a surprise.  Kelsea is currently dating actor Chase Stokes.  

https://pagesix.com/2023/02/22/kelsea-ballerini-cheated-on-morgan-evans-with-drew-taggart/

No clue if it’s true (PageSix has no problem spreading lies for clicks) but I really dislike when celebs split and start playing the “sources” game. Say it or don’t but don’t act like your taking the high road and “not the type to speak on these things publicly” and then hide behind “sources” to do the dirty work. 

This is reminding me of Blake Shelton’s PR team’s handling of his divorce from Miranda Lambert. 

45 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, I guess this shouldn’t be a surprise.  Kelsea is currently dating actor Chase Stokes.

That was mentioned in the linked People article that started this discussion, so, no, I wouldn't think it would be a surprise.  I don't know who any of these people are (I've heard/read Ballerini's name, but that's it), but from reading what's been linked here, I agree with @Dani this situation is a big ball of nothing unusual or untoward. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Dani said:

Neither is even saying anything all that damning. He claims he was blindsided and she is basically saying they grew apart. The two statements aren’t even mutually exclusive. Just different perspectives.

And sometimes, people are warned that the marriage is in trouble but still feel blindsided when their spouse actually ends it. In fact, I'd bet that's how a jilted spouse feels most of the time if they still have hope to save the marriage while their partner doesn't.

• Like 3

Is it normal to be ordered not to drink for these types of charges or is it implying that Alec may have been drinking on the set?

Per conditions of his release, the court has ruled that the actor cannot consume alcohol nor possess firearms or dangerous weapons. He also must maintain contact with his attorney and obey all “federal, state, tribal, local laws, statutes and ordinances.”

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty in ‘Rust’ shooting, can’t drink alcohol or own gun

• Useful 6
6 hours ago, AheadofStraight said:

Is it normal to be ordered not to drink for these types of charges or is it implying that Alec may have been drinking on the set?

I'm not a lawyer but not necessarily. A quick Google search indicates that it's a common bail request. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

It's fairly normal.   In fact, so normal, it would be odd to not have it on there.   It's like the condition "don't break any laws while out on bail"  and "no contact with the victim or the family (yes the the victim here is dead but its a form)."     It's boilerplate on the form and you would have to remember to cross it out to take it out.    There are lines on the form to write in special conditions.   

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Media drop Dilbert after creator’s Black `hate group’ remark

I read the opening statement in the article three times and I'm still not sure what it said.

• Like 1

The guy who was responsible for a comic strip started in 1989 that went 33 years without a single Black character is racist? I’m thinking we should have known.

If that wasn’t enough he finally introduced a Black character last year with a trans joke. He flew under the radar because so few people actually read his comic strips now.

29 minutes ago, Dani said:

The guy who was responsible for a comic strip started in 1989 that went 33 years without a single black character is racist? I thinking we should have known.

If that wasn’t enough he finally introduced a black character last year with a trans joke. He flew under the radar because so few people actually read his comic strips now.

True, the shock isn't that he's racist, it's that Dilbert is still around. 

• Like 17
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6

Many people have noted the poll he was responding to was likely clickbait to begin with and the questions were couched in deliberately provocative ways. Not only was his rant stupid, it was completely out of proportion. Yep, he revealed years ago he was racist but people weren't on top of this stuff then in the way they are now. He's also had Asok in the strip for a very long time as an Asian caricature and people let that slide. 

Sadly my local newspaper is owned by billionaire right-wing donors so I fully expect they will continue to carry him. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 3
40 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Hasn't it been known for a long time that Scott Adams is a trash human being?  I guess he finally said something that pushed the papers over the edge. 

He's been pretty openly shitty for years now, but I must confess to being surprised when I first figured that out however many years ago. Granted, I only read Dilbert as a kid in the 90s and the only thing I knew about Scott Adams for a long time was he did the cartoon. I didn't remember it being particularly divisive when I was younger and liked it well enough, though it was no Garfield to me. LOL

So, I can't figure out if there was a lot of shittiness that flew over my head when I was little (quite likely) or he wasn't quite as vocal about it until more recent years. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Hasn't it been known for a long time that Scott Adams is a trash human being?  I guess he finally said something that pushed the papers over the edge. 

I stopped paying attenion to him years ago, but yes; he's been problematic (to say the least) for A WHILE now. He's been crappy about women in general in his strips, too. Glad it all caught up with him finally.

Edited by Trini
  • Like 14
  • Useful 3
8 hours ago, Dani said:

If that wasn’t enough he finally introduced a Black character last year with a trans joke. He flew under the radar because so few people actually read his comic strips now.

What also "helped" was that the "joke" backfired because it wasn't in a full-color Sunday strip.  It was in one of the daily strips that are printed in black and white.  All the characters, including the new one, had the same skin tone.  Meaning that you couldn't tell by just looking that he was supposed to be anything other than another Caucasian.

The only reason I know this is that I was reading a Reddit thread about the Ohio newspapers that were dropping the strip (in favor of a plain grey box until they decide on a replacement) and the above issue and the strip in question were mentioned and linked to in the comment thread.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, SVNBob said:

The only reason I know this is that I was reading a Reddit thread about the Ohio newspapers that were dropping the strip (in favor of a plain grey box until they decide on a replacement)

It gives me some joy in knowing they would rather just have a grey box than give that a-hole any more time on their paper. 

• Like 20
  • Applause 2

If Adams hasn't already I'm sure he will make noise about cancel culture and free speech.  He is most certainly free to say whatever disgusting offensive thing he wants to say.  And everyone else is free to say sorry asshole but we don't want to be associated with you.  It makes me happy to see at least in some places there is still a price to pay for being a shit human being.

• Like 16
  • Applause 4
21 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

So based on this alleged survey that a minority of respondents supposedly claimed not to think 'being white was ok', Adams then tarred the entire African-American populace as 'a hate group'?  There's SO much wrong with this it's hard to know where to start! Obviously,  tarring ANY entire ethnicity or demographic as a 'hate group' is not just paranoid but the equivalent of screaming fire in a crowded theater re encouraging others to panic!

Then there's the issue of this survey. Supposedly the folks who responded the way they did that spurred Mr. Adams to spew this statement did so online. IOW, via the 'Net which means ,for anyone knows, some or all of them may not actually have been  African-Americans but could have been from any demographic -including four-eyed purple people-eaters!  This seems to be an excellent example of what's known as a SLOP poll in which, rather than seeking out and vetting potential participants from intended demographics, the surveyors put out these things to get responses but do nothing to attempt to  authenticate the participants' much less the responses' validity. IOW, somewhat an embodiment of the saying 'figures don't lie but liars DO figure'!

It also wouldn't come as a surprise to me if Adams has ignored surveys that validate positive POVs of African-Americans to self-justify his paranoid myopic stance!

Well, I'd considered 'Dilbert' to have been rather blah, redundant and humorless for decades so I haven't  bothered looking for it in either the weekday or Sunday papers  since before the New Millenium so I can't begin to boycott it.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 2/26/2023 at 12:11 PM, Blergh said:

So based on this alleged survey that a minority of respondents supposedly claimed not to think 'being white was ok', Adams then tarred the entire African-American populace as 'a hate group'? 

We can't really categorize them as not thinking being white is okay; the survey asked people whether they agreed with the statement “It’s OK to be white”.  As the linked article notes, "The Anti-Defamation League says the phrase was popularized in 2017 as a trolling campaign by members of the discussion forum 4chan but then began being used by some white supremacists."  So it's a loaded phrase with a specific, racist, meaning when used by certain people, not a simple statement of fact (just like "all lives matter").  And that is likely what many of those responding "disagree" or "not sure" were responding to rather than actually saying no, it's not okay to be white.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 12
  • Useful 6
  • LOL 1

I still just skim the Dilbert comics in my paper (yes I still have that), but this is all reminding me of a few years ago when I checked out a self-help book by Mr. Adams that I'd seen good recommendations for.  (In hindsight - those recommendations were in his blog.)  I was several chapters in, and started to think, huh, I'm not sure what I think about that, and went to read the Amazon reviews to see if it was "just me".  Turns out they were largely positive, but there was a small minority that pointed out some things that I was also thinking.  And every single one of those reviews had a response from the author - and not in a "let's engage in a conversation on this" kind of way. Looks like Amazon got rid of the responses to reviews at some point so it's no longer out there.  Anyway, since then, I've taken him a lot less seriously, despite the fact that many years ago, he seemed kind of cool.

Edited by SoMuchTV
punctuation problems
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

We can't really categorize them as not thinking being white is okay; the survey asked people whether they agreed with the statement “It’s OK to be white”.  As the linked article notes, "The Anti-Defamation League says the phrase was popularized in 2017 as a trolling campaign by members of the discussion forum 4chan but then began being used by some white supremacists."  So it's a loaded phrase with a specific, racist, meaning when used by certain people, not a simple statement of fact (like "all lives matter").  And that is likely what many of those responding "disagree" or "not sure" were responding to rather than actually saying no, it's not okay to be white.

I looked up the company behind the survey and it only took reading the headline to see the problem, “Despite years of progressive activism, a majority of Americans still don’t buy into the “woke” narrative that white people have a monopoly on racism.” 

It was a survey of only 1000 people that asked 2 questions. 

1* Do you agree or disagree with this statement:  “It’s OK to be white.”

2* Do you agree or disagree with this statement:  “Black people can be racist, too.”

I can’t find how many Black individuals were even polled. Assuming it was representative of US demographics, 26% would be whopping 31 people who disagreed or weren’t sure. 

Adams taking a survey with that headline serious tells me everything I need to know about him.