Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 7/29/2024 at 4:02 PM, MissAlmond said:

Actor Erica Ash who starred in such shows as Survivor's RemorseReal Husbands of Hollywood, In Contempt and MadTV has died, age 46.

https://deadline.com/2024/07/erica-ash-dead-1236025787/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/erica-ash-dead-real-husbands-hollywood-survivors-remorse-1235961264/

https://collider.com/erica-ash-dead-at-46/

I hadn't heard of her.  I just now read the articles linked (thank you, @MissAlmond ), and two things stood out.   1) Cancer, again. Fuck it.

And 2) this little bit from the Hollywood Reporter article, because what a fantastic way to live. I'm sorry she's gone too soon, but it sounds like she really lived while she was here.

"...attended Emory University to study medicine. She took a break and went to Japan, where she “fell into a background singing gig my first week there” and did some modeling, she told the Los Angeles Times in 2017. “Then my modeling team was doing a show for the royal family of Japan at this hotel and the ringside announcer thought I should ringside announce. Literally, one thing led to another, so I tell people I’m the Forrest Gump of my field. I just blindly, by faith, walked through life and said ‘yes’ to things that were presented to me, and it led me here.”  

11 hours ago, Palimelon said:

Yeah, I know they weren't Shakespeare, but they were a little piece of my childhood. RIP, Ms. Pascal.

Edited by ElleryAnne
  • Like 13
  • Love 1
On 7/30/2024 at 5:02 AM, Palimelon said:

I loved Francine. I remember before Sweet Valley High premiered, I'd read Hanging Out with Francie? Cici? I think it was? Wonderful time travel read; the heroine, a frustrated teen, bumping heads with her mom, who is strict and "no fun" and probably never remembered what it was to be a teenager. Then something happens and she hears her grandmother-a young grandmother, trying to reign in her rebellious teenage daughter, who is her mom! I gotta find it.

I stopped reading Sweet Valley shortly after Francine got rid of Todd, who I much preferred to that blonde newbie. And characters weren't static. Duncan the ASSHOLE, did fall in love, and changed. I read this series, during my high school years. I feel horrible, but I know I also read a lot of others, before Sweet Valley.

The Show SUCKED.

She, along with S.E. Hinton, Lois Duncan, and Beverly Cleary were the authors I devoured during my adolescence, teen and young adult years.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2

As much as I made fun of SVH, I cannot imagine my growing up years without the books. I also will never forget being so traumatized reading about Regina Morrow dying from trying cocaine one time that it kept me on the straight and narrow and I highly doubt I'm the only one, so thank you and RIP, Francine.

I discovered the Double Love podcast in the last several months and the two hosts have the same love/hate relationship with the books as I do and make many a boring task/car ride infinitely more entertaining.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
(edited)

Bobby Banas, actor and dancer who played Joyboy in original West Side Story movie, dies at 90.

In addition to West Side Story, Banas danced in Bye Bye Birdie, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, and stepped in time as a chimney sweep in Mary Poppins. He also danced opposite Ann-Margret in a Paris nightclub in Made in Paris. In 1960, he had a memorable moment in Let's Make Love where his character nearly faints following a kiss from Marilyn Monroe. He also choreographed and danced in the number "The Nitty Gritty" on a 1964 episode of The Judy Garland Show, which garnered him popularity after the dance went viral on YouTube.

Edited by Palimelon
  • Sad 14
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

As much as I made fun of SVH, I cannot imagine my growing up years without the books. I also will never forget being so traumatized reading about Regina Morrow dying from trying cocaine one time that it kept me on the straight and narrow and I highly doubt I'm the only one, so thank you and RIP, Francine.

I discovered the Double Love podcast in the last several months and the two hosts have the same love/hate relationship with the books as I do and make many a boring task/car ride infinitely more entertaining.

I don't really remember the plot of all the SVH books nor the SVT books I consumed as a child and young adult. I was more of a Babysitters Club girl. But, I do remember the first Magna edition,The Wakefields of Sweet Valley. I had that paperback and read it until it fell apart. The twin pretending to be her sister and dying while riding bareback in a circus ring has imbedded itself into my brain these last 30 years. It was also where I first learned about the San Francisco earthquake in 1906. 

RIP Ms. Pascal.

• Like 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I loved Francine. I remember before Sweet Valley High premiered, I'd read Hanging Out with Francie? Cici? I think it was? Wonderful time travel read; the heroine, a frustrated teen, bumping heads with her mom, who is strict and "no fun" and probably never remembered what it was to be a teenager. Then something happens and she hears her grandmother-a young grandmother, trying to reign in her rebellious teenage daughter, who is her mom! I gotta find it.

This was turned into a 1981 ABC Afterschool Special titled My Mother Was Never a Kid.  The girl goes back in time to around 1944 and becomes friends with her own mother when she was a teenager.  The mother was played by the same actress who was Aimee Godsey on the Waltons.

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Never read anything else of hers except Hanging Out With Cici!  I just checked and it's still in print, and also on kindle Cici and two sequels!

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't really remember the plot of all the SVH books nor the SVT books I consumed as a child and young adult. I was more of a Babysitters Club girl. But, I do remember the first Magna edition,The Wakefields of Sweet Valley. I had that paperback and read it until it fell apart. The twin pretending to be her sister and dying while riding bareback in a circus ring has imbedded itself into my brain these last 30 years. It was also where I first learned about the San Francisco earthquake in 1906. 

RIP Ms. Pascal.

I always wondered what happened when Amanda and Ted Wakefield met up at Ned and Alice's wedding after her twin Samantha framed him for bootlegging while pretending to be Amanda. At the same time it explains how Jessica where she got her psycho genes. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I always wondered what happened when Amanda and Ted Wakefield met up at Ned and Alice's wedding after her twin Samantha framed him for bootlegging while pretending to be Amanda. At the same time it explains how Jessica where she got her psycho genes. 

That was such a missed opportunity.

Speaking of Ted, his existence marked the first time in the franchise history that two consenting adults had sex without (gasp!) being married. Tre scandalous!

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

End of an era: Aerosmith retires from touring.

To much surprise, the legendary rock outfit Aerosmith has officially canceled their ‘Peace Out’ farewell tour and retired from touring. The news comes from the band’s social media pages in a lengthy post that expresses their heartfelt gratitude for their fans, and the difficult decision they’ve had to make in canceling their farewell tour entirely....

While not much is known on the status of Steven Tyler’s vocal injury, it’s also possible his injury has taken a serious turn, which the farewell tour cancelation could indicate. Apart from the band’s statement, nothing else is known regarding Aerosmith’s decision to cancel their farewell tour.

• Sad 14

Award-winning reporter Ina Jaffe dies at 75:
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/03/business/media/ina-jaffe-npr-dead.html?unlocked_article_code=1.AU4.O6iH.nWAsHjxwYaws&smid=url-share
(free gift link)

…Ms. Jaffe had performed as a folk singer when she was in her teens, and acted in college theater, Mr. Kleinfeld said. By the 1970s, she was performing onstage with the Organic Theater group and other productions in Chicago’s off-Loop theater scene, including in stage performances of sci-fi shows and renditions of Shakespeare plays.

In a 1977 review for The Chicago Tribune, a critic wrote that “Jaffe was an effective, sweet and sassy Miranda” for a production of “The Enchanted Island.” One of Ms. Jaffe’s duets, the critic wrote, “was the highlight of the show.”

Ms. Jaffe made her move into journalism in Chicago. Mr. Kleinfeld, a writer, said she had an idea for a story and he connected her to an editor at The Chicago Reader, where she landed the assignment and found a new path.

“After that, she was off and running,” he said.

Her artistic sensibilities became a part of her reporting process, as she began to cover politics for NPR’s fledgling Chicago bureau in the early 1980s, becoming part of the founding staff. One of her colleagues, Scott Simon, recalled that he once noticed she carried newspaper clippings in an artist’s portfolio.

“She had an artist’s eye for detail, and a performer’s ear for the ring and rhyme of human speech,” Mr. Simon wrote in a reflection after Ms. Jaffe’s death.…

• Sad 6
44 minutes ago, giovannif7 said:

Baseball player Billy Bean, who played for the Tigers, Dodgers and Padres before retiring and coming out as gay, has died at age 60 after an 11 month battle with Acute Myeloid Leukemia. He had most recently been serving as Senior Vice President of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for Major League Baseball. 🏳️‍🌈😢

There's an In Memoriam thread in the Sports forum for discussion of athletes' deaths, and it's being discussed in the MLB thread starting here.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, BetterButter said:

I remember The Wilderness Family movies in which I admired Mr.Logan's character Skip Robinson's pluck in wanting to quit the rat race but, even as a kid I thought he  took way too many needless chances with his wife's and children's safety and those movies somewhat convinced me as a lifelong city dweller that not only was the pioneering life not for me but even overnight camping wasn't something worth seeking out.

On a shallow note, he was a visually appealing performer in a tall,rugged semi-hippy pioneer having one last adventure before middle age set in kind of way.

RIP, Mr. Logan.

• Like 7

I'm a bit late for this but here it goes:

On Thursday, August 8,2024, the longtime comic, vocal artist, game show celeb,etc. Mitzi McCall [born Mitzi Steiner] died in California at age 93.

Miss McCall had been married to her longtime comic partner (and 2nd husband) Charlie Brill from 1960 and they became parents to Jennifer in 1968.

Of course, Miss McCall and Mr. Brill would make history in an awkward way when they'd appear on the Ed Sullivan Show in February,1964 - immediately after the Beatles. Yeah, the teen fans who packed the studio audience didn't give them the warmest ovation but they still felt honored that they got to be a peripheral part of that scene.  I wonder if they ever compared notes with Carol Burnett who had an almost identical audience reaction on the very same show when she made her appearance immediately after Elvis.

One interesting footnote was that the Brills not only were family friends to Melissa Gilbert from infancy onward but they had known her late  father Paul long before his marriage to her mother Barbara and were among the very few people  who could give any reliable biographical info about him in Miss Gilbert's adulthood.  Regardless of her mixed emotions about her own parents and other family members, Miss Gilbert consistently praised the three in her autobio.

Anyway, oddly enough I best recall her from her zany and sarcastic game show appearances AND for voicing one of the teen pals of the teen Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm in The Flintstones Comedy Hour.

RIP, Miss McCall.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Love 6

I remember Charlie Brill and Mitzi McCall as Capt. Lipschitz and his wife, Fran, on Silk Stalkings.  I'm rather embarrassed to admit I really didn't know much about them outside of that prior to her passing!

• Like 3
On 8/11/2024 at 8:10 PM, Blergh said:

I'm a bit late for this but here it goes:

On Thursday, August 8,2024, the longtime comic, vocal artist, game show celeb,etc. Mitzi McCall [born Mitzi Steiner] died in California at age 93.

Miss McCall had been married to her longtime comic partner (and 2nd husband) Charlie Brill from 1960 and they became parents to Jennifer in 1968.

Of course, Miss McCall and Mr. Brill would make history in an awkward way when they'd appear on the Ed Sullivan Show in February,1964 - immediately after the Beatles. Yeah, the teen fans who packed the studio audience didn't give them the warmest ovation but they still felt honored that they got to be a peripheral part of that scene.  I wonder if they ever compared notes with Carol Burnett who had an almost identical audience reaction on the very same show when she made her appearance immediately after Elvis.

One interesting footnote was that the Brills not only were family friends to Melissa Gilbert from infancy onward but they had known her late  father Paul long before his marriage to her mother Barbara and were among the very few people  who could give any reliable biographical info about him in Miss Gilbert's adulthood.  Regardless of her mixed emotions about her own parents and other family members, Miss Gilbert consistently praised the three in her autobio.

Anyway, oddly enough I best recall her from her zany and sarcastic game show appearances AND for voicing one of the teen pals of the teen Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm in The Flintstones Comedy Hour.

RIP, Miss McCall.

I had relistened to that Ed Sullivan episode on This American Life recently. A wonderful story. 

• Like 3
(edited)

I preferred her as the mom/grandma in Hope Floats. But damn it, she had such an extensive career, she deserves t9 be remembered for more than just the stupid Notebook.

At least she doesn’t have to suffer from Alzheimers anymore.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3
  • Sad 5

I'm old enough to have seen A Woman Under the Influence in a movie theater. What a remarkable performance by Gena Rowlands. This woman could act! One of the true greats.

Rest easy now.

• Like 8
(edited)

My husband would watch his favorite shows on dvd and I remember one night where Gena Rowlands showed up twice - as a glamorous saloon owner on an episode of The Virginian and then on Numb3rs as a Holocaust survivor.  The woman liked to work.  Such an amazing career.

Edited by tessaray
  • Like 15

Such sad news….

I found Ms. Rowlands to be so beautiful, with a classy demeanor.

Loved her in Hope Floats as Sandra Bullock’s mother and Minnie and Moskowitz, where she played the girlfriend of an annoyingly loud man played by Seymour Cassel.  She was also great in the wonderful and underrated HBO movie Hysterical Blindness, where she played Uma Thurman’s mother Ginny, a waitress who found (and lost) love later in life while dealing with her selfish daughter.  She won an Emmy for that role, well deserved.

Now she and John Cassavetes are reunited….rest well, pretty lady!

• Like 14
  • Love 1

I remember seeing Gena Rowlands in Opening Night at The Museum of Modern Art in New York.  I remember that there is a lovely touch in the Monk episode where you see a photo of the late John Cassevetes, her husband, on the desk.  She was brilliant, I am glad she was awarded the special Academy Award.

• Like 11
  • Love 1