Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN! This week is just awful!

19 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

RIP, Shelley Duvall. There was really no one else like her. She had such a unique presence, look, and talent (honestly, who else could play Olive Oyl?). I always felt Wendy from The Shining got too much crap from critics and viewers, and I really liked Faerie Tale Theatre and what the stars brought to all those familiar stories. 

Wendy Torrence was awesome, even if she wasn't exactly like her book version. I don't think anybody really appreciated just how much crap her character went through until recent years. And for a supposed sniveling weakling, she deserves kudos for she beat Jack's ass with that bat and getting the hell out with her child in tow.

As much as I disliked Olive Oyl for having the personality of a disease, Shelley played the part pitch perfectly.

And I second the love for Faerie Tale Theatre.

RIP Shelley. You deserved more out of life and I hope you finally have the peace you deserve.

• Like 16

RIP Shelley Duvall.  Definitely remember her from Faerie Tale Theatre.  

I've read a lot of stories about her horrific filming during The Shining.  I frankly find this kind of treatment of actors abominable but people defend it all in the name of "genius". Kubrick can fuck off for his draconian treatment of actors.

• Like 11
  • Applause 7
2 hours ago, kittykat said:

Kubrick can fuck off for his draconian treatment of actors.

Yes.  And Dr. Phil can fuck right on off after him (on general principle, including that disgustingly exploitative interview with Shelley Duvall).  It's really sad that my first thought upon reading of her death was of how those two men mistreated her.

• Like 13
  • Sad 4
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

Barely relevant (my apologies, I'll keep this brief), but for those disgusted by Stanley Kubrick's treatment of actors, I urge you to read I Am Spartacus by Kirk Douglas. In one chapter, Douglas tells how, fed up Kubrick's pretentious and unprofessional bullshit*, he confronted Kubrick and called him "a little shit"... while he (Douglas) was riding a damn horse!

*Kubrick allegedly wore the same, possibly unwashed outfit every damn day. Charming.

• Useful 6
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Wendy Torrence was awesome, even if she wasn't exactly like her book version. I don't think anybody really appreciated just how much crap her character went through until recent years. And for a supposed sniveling weakling, she deserves kudos for she beat Jack's ass with that bat and getting the hell out with her child in tow.

She really perfectly captured the absolute fear and horror of living in that place and watching her husband descend into madness. I felt her terror throughout that entire film, it was just so palpable, and it made me all the more anxious to see how she'd get herself and her son out of there. 

Sad to hear this news. May she rest in peace. 

• Like 13
20 hours ago, kittykat said:

RIP Shelley Duvall.  Definitely remember her from Faerie Tale Theatre.  

I've read a lot of stories about her horrific filming during The Shining.  I frankly find this kind of treatment of actors abominable but people defend it all in the name of "genius". Kubrick can fuck off for his draconian treatment of actors.

I agree he was too demanding of actors but I also hear people say Duvall's performance was so realistic only because of Kubrick being mean and that's an insult to Duvall as an artist. I've seen the behind the scenes footage. She's not wilting when Kubrick's angry like her character is to Jack, she's standing up to him.

Anyway she was the perfect casting of Olive Oyl in Robert Altman's Popeye.

• Like 8

FWIW, I see the late Miss Duvall as a brave person who, in addition to pursuing a performing career (despite, on a shallow note, not being the most surfacely stunning person), she worked very hard and was committed to doing the very best with the roles she was given (even enduring the needless flak of Kubrick,et.al.)  She also did a good job producing and performing in her Faerie Tale Theatre in which she sincerely wanted to encourage the young viewers to appreciate the classic tales with certain twists and, more importantly, encouraged them to want to be imaginative and creative!

She also was brave to walk away from the performing career when she'd had enough instead of just staying with it until she became too overwhelmed to function.

I know that she had some serious struggles the last part of her life (and I give a hearty jeer to the so called Dr. Phil [and his cohorts] for exploiting them). However, I'd like to think she DID find some peace at the close of her life.

RIP, Miss Duvall.

• Like 12
  • Love 2

I wanted to post a clp of Shelly Duvall from Time Bandits but shockingly not even Youtube had a good one. Too obscure I suppose. 

The beginning of the end of Kevin Costner's career? Horizon: An American Saga was the first movie in a series that seemed to be banking almost entirely on people's fondness for Costner in Westerns. Instead it's a giant turkey whose poor perfomance has caused the second movie, originally set to open August 16, to be pulled off the schedule entirely. They are also making Horizon available on POV next week while it's still in theaters. My crystal ball says however many of these he actually makes after this will go straight to streaming with one or two theatrical exhibitions to qualify for awards. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

As soon as the judge ruled that Baldwin couldn't be prosecuted as a producer, and none of his actions that compromised set safety could be considered, the case was effectively doomed. The prosecution was disorganized, and the relationship between the prosecution and defense was hostile. The judge's frustration was evident, so it's understandable why the trial was dismissed.

I don't believe the actor did anything wrong, as he was assured by two people that the gun was safe. However, Alec Baldwin's role as a producer is another matter entirely. Regardless, my opinion of Baldwin remains unchanged—I still think he's a total dick.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

My crystal ball says however many of these he actually makes after this will go straight to streaming with one or two theatrical exhibitions to qualify for awards. 

Awards? 😂😂🤣

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

IIRC, Costner took some beatings for  Waterworld and The Postman and survived,  so this might just be another stumble, not  a complete roadblock career-wise.  Western-ish works have always been his strong suit, though. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Domestic Assassin said:

RIP Dr. Ruth. I'm not sure if this qualifies as entertainment related, but I always associated her with pop culture and remember her on talk shows. But this makes me sad.

https://www.npr.org/2024/07/13/nx-s1-5038571/dr-ruth-westheimer-who-encouraged-america-to-talk-about-sex-dies-at-96

Mama once saw her in an airport- and said, if anything, the 4 foot 7 inch tall Dr. Westheimer was SMALLER-than-life! LOL.

On a more serious note, it wasn't her frank (but tasteful) sex talk that intrigued me but the fact that she had been essentially orphaned at ten and sent away to safety as a desperate chance for her to survive the impending doom that would befall every other member of her immediate family. However,  somehow not only preserved bulky family photos,letters and a single embroidered washcloth through decades of upheaval and relocations until she finally found her home and made her new family in New York City but, more importantly stayed motivated  educate herself as much as possible to help others as a means of honoring the memories of her parents instead of giving into to despair and hopelessness (and, on a lighter note, keeping that very strong Frankfurt accent  for the next 86 years despite becoming fluent in French, Hebrew and English).  I definitely think that there are countless others in this world who've been through similar experiences down the decades who could benefit from learning about her somehow thriving despite all the incredible odds against her from a very young age!

RIP, Dr. Westheimer!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

Dr. Ruth had an amazing life story, and such a remarkable career. I confess I puckishly have respect for anyone who raises the hackles of small-minded prudes, which she absolutely did. She was also a hoot in interviews (I always got a kick out of how she rolled her "r"'s).

• Like 20
  • Love 1

Man.  I feel like Richard Simmons and Dr. Ruth were such staples during the 80s and 90s talk/radio show circuit.  An era ended today.

• Like 20

In honor of Richard Simmons, for those who've never seen it, or those who have and would like to see it again, I give you hsi appearance on "Whose Line", widely considered one of the funniest, if not THE funniest, moments ever on the show:

I have never seen so many people in a full on laughing fit before. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 12
39 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Dr. Ruth AND Richard Simmons in the same day?! Damn, this week needs to chill out…

I'm not sure those two 80's celebs ever crossed paths.

She who wanted others to responsibly enjoy their intimate lives as much as possible ( provided that there was no abuse involved) and he who wanted to help others improve their lives by encouraging a responsible diet and exercise program. .

Well, I'd like to think that since she was a little over 20 years his senior, she'd have doted on  him  in person and served him whatever meal he wanted- and he'd have happily consumed it.

BTW, yesterday had been his 76th birthday so I hope he had a fun celebration!

RIP, Dr. Westheimer and Mr. Simmons.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Aww I still have fond memories of the Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies tape my Granny had when I was a kid in the 90s. My brother and I would beg her to play it for us at least once a week!

18 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

The beginning of the end of Kevin Costner's career? Horizon: An American Saga was the first movie in a series that seemed to be banking almost entirely on people's fondness for Costner in Westerns. Instead it's a giant turkey whose poor perfomance has caused the second movie, originally set to open August 16, to be pulled off the schedule entirely. They are also making Horizon available on POV next week while it's still in theaters. My crystal ball says however many of these he actually makes after this will go straight to streaming with one or two theatrical exhibitions to qualify for awards. 

I had a feeling it was going to bomb when I couldn't find any coherent plot summaries of it in the lead up to its release. I like a good Western, but I tend to find Costner's Westerns pretty thin. He's great at spectacle and the visual side of filmmaking, but I often find the characters and plot spotty at best. I have no clue why he didn't try to that as an epic miniseries rather than a film series. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I had the privilege of meeting Dr. Ruth when she spoke at my college when I was a sophomore. I was covering the speech as part of a school assignment and she was so very gracious, willing to answer my questions after spending an hour signing her book.

What you saw is what you got with her. RIP, Dr. Ruth.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

She was interviewed by Susan Stamburg at the National Building Museum about 8 (?) years ago in connection to her doll house collection.  (I know - I was surprised, too!)  My sister loved doll houses, so we went and it was a lovely event and interesting exhibition.  

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Awe, I was just saying the other day that Richard Simmons was a cinnamon roll who needed to be protected. 

While other dance/exercise videos used models, Richard used regular everyday people with real bodies.

I remember seeing an episode of "Biography" on him once, and at one point people were talking about how he paid for people's hospital/medical bills, and would often visit them in the hospital as well. Particularly those who might not have otherwise had regular visitors. That really added to my respect for him. 

• Like 11
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Zella said:

Aww I still have fond memories of the Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies tape my Granny had when I was a kid in the 90s. My brother and I would beg her to play it for us at least once a week!

I still pull out my tape (yes, I still have a VCR) from time to time, when I'm recovering from illness or injury, as it's a good workout when I need something to get me going again before I'm ready to ease back into my usual routine.  Fundamentally, it's so great to see an exercise video (I have many, as I hate gyms) with people of so many different sizes and abilities, all able to do the routine to one degree or another, instead of the usual where you have Mega-Fit, Super-Fit, and then Fit masquerading as the "If you need to start with the least-intensive version" option that makes a good chunk of the audience give up after failing to meet unrealistic expectations.  I don't know much about him, and what I saw of his personality was not my favorite, but eternal kudos to him for that.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
(edited)

*sigh* Rule of threes.

Phoebe, Paige and especially Piper can suck it, but Prue was the best Haliwell sister. Killing her off was when Charmed jumped the shark. I don’t care what went down between Shannen and Alyssa.

She fought hard, but I'm glad she doesn’t have to suffer anymore. Say hi to Luke for us.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 11
  • Sad 10
  • Love 8
23 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

*sigh* Rule of threes.

I feel like the rule of threes is three groups of three instead of just one group of three in the past couple of weeks.

• Like 9
  • Sad 4

Oh come on!  Sadly I saw this one coming since Shannen has been public about her cancer battle and how it's not going well but it still sucks.  I agree she got the shit end of the stick with regards to both shows she was on.  RIP Shannen Doherty.

• Like 14
  • Sad 2
18 minutes ago, kittykat said:

I agree she got the shit end of the stick with regards to both shows she was on.  RIP Shannen Doherty.

I think that can apply to husbands too.

I'm sitting here crying because this news is what broke me after everything that's gone on the past two days. It's unsettling knowing both she and Luke Perry are gone now.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 11
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

Intellectually, I'm not surprised at Miss Doherty's passing but somehow, I irrationally thought that since she had battled through cancer before so many times that somehow she'd not succumb to it any time soon.

If nothing else, she faced this last battle with courage and dignity- and I hope that she somehow was able to draw comfort in that  to say nothing of having a peaceful farewell to whatever loved ones were in her life.

RIP, Miss Doherty.

• Like 19
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Say hi to Luke for us.

My first thought was that Brenda and Dylan were finally together again, this time for good.

Rough weekend. . .

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

Aw damn.  Shannon Doherty had her rough moments, and people hated on her a lot for it, but there was always something about her that made me root for her.  RIP.

Geez, the past several weeks... Willie Mays, Donald Sutherland, Martin Mull, Shelly Duvall, Dr. Ruth, Richard Simmons, etc... can it let up for awhile now?

• Like 15
  • Sad 6
  • Love 1
On 7/13/2024 at 12:36 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

I wanted to post a clp of Shelly Duvall from Time Bandits but shockingly not even Youtube had a good one. Too obscure I suppose. 

That’s a shame. I saw Part 1 yesterday and it was a good movie. The biggest quibble I have with it is that all of the plots are worthy of their own movies.

I think as long as the next three are as good or better than the first one, it may be thought better of once it can be viewed as a finished product.

Then again, I do like Westerns and adore Costner, so I’m likely biased anyway.

• Useful 2

I have always rooted for Shannen Doherty, ever since the "I Hate Brenda" newsletter (how Brenda can be anyone's biggest problem when Kelly Baby-Voiced Taylor existed alongside her, I will never know), in a way even I can't understand.  I hate watched 90210 for a while during the early seasons thanks to a friend who loved it, but I only ever saw a few episodes of Charmed, so it's not like I was a fan - but she was the best part of both those shows - but I always sensed she was getting a greater share of the blame for any on-set problems than she should have.  It's possible that sense was completely off, of course; there was just something about her I was drawn to from a distance.

It seems like we'd have disagreed on a lot, but I never saw her express her views in a hateful way, so respected that.  Lots of people have cancer, many of them young, but there was something about her public battle with it that touched me in a particular way, and every time she shared the latest grim change I hoped for her to beat the odds.

• Like 13
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Oh no. I knew it was just a matter of time because she was open about how her cancer got worse, but it still hit me unexpectedly hard and left me crying which rarely happens with celebrity deaths. Charmed was a huge part of my teenage years for better or worse.

RIP Shannen, you didn't deserve all that crap. And fuck cancer forever.

• Like 9
  • Hugs 4