Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:
38 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

it seems kinda random to me. Lol I mean I don't know, but has he been in any shows or movies lately? It seems like they usually pick someone who is "popular" at the time for that kind of thing.

29 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I watched the live reveal on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night and had the same reaction as you did. Don't get me wrong, Patrick Dempsey is still a very attractive man, but I always expected that he'd be named SMA at some point during his long stint on Grey's Anatomy. I wasn't expecting it now, while he seems to be a bit farther from the spotlight. 

Looks like The Golden Bachelor Effect to me.

• Useful 2
53 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I saw that yesterday, and it seems kinda random to me. Lol I mean I don't know, but has he been in any shows or movies lately? It seems like they usually pick someone who is "popular" at the time for that kind of thing. I really don't keep up with that stuff, but I was just wondering. Good for him anyway though. 

I thought the same thing. I wonder if the the strike had anything to do with it. Dempsey’s Ferrari movie got a SAG waiver so he can promote when most of the more obvious choices can’t. 

I can’t argue with calling him sexy but there are so many others they could have gone with that are currently relevant. In my mind, Ryan Gosling was the obvious choice but have been reports to the past that Gosling has turned it down multiple times. It makes me curious how many others have said no. 

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Looks like The Golden Bachelor Effect to me.

That was my first thought when people were wondering why Dempsey was picked this time. I too wonder if a few other men turned it down before they chose him.

• Like 4

Well I can't disagree with Dempsey, Brosnan, Gosling, Noah, and esp Jensen Ackles.

But Harry Styles? And I never found Hiddleston attractive, but that's me personally.

I guess I'm finally showing my age.

• Like 5
  • Wink 2
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

"Yes, That Was Jared Leto Climbing New York's Empire State Building," Nov. 9, 2023,  eonline.com/news/1389569/yes-that-was-jared-leto-climbing-new-yorks-empire-state-building

As they said at the end of the original King Kong 'Twas beauty that killed the beast.'

Too bad Fay Wray isn't around for this one.

OK,  despite not being a fan of Mr. Leto, I'm relieved no physical harm came to him from that climb!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

As they said at the end of the original King Kong 'Twas beauty that killed the beast.'

Too bad Fay Wray isn't around for this one.

OK,  despite not being a fan of Mr. Leto, I'm relieved no physical harm came to him from that climb!

“‘‘Twas beauty killed the beast”. “No it wasn’t, it was smashing into the ground like that”.

(I’ve always preferred the Discworld take on it)

• Like 8
  • LOL 2
28 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

I find that quote a bit surprising since Ordinary People in particular was set in a picturesque autumn setting and stunningly photographed for the most part (with the exception of the somewhat claustrophobic scenes of the troubled teen son Connie venting his angst to his therapist). However, its unsettling and sad subject matter never let the audience  enjoy the ambience but perhaps said ambience helped to heighten the characters' struggles!

Regardless, he did some amazing work and I appreciated his contributions. RIP, Mr. Bailey!

• Like 4
On 11/8/2023 at 10:26 PM, Jaded said:

That was my first thought when people were wondering why Dempsey was picked this time. I too wonder if a few other men turned it down before they chose him.

Dempsey was selected because he has a big movie coming out; Ferrari.  The Sexiest Man Alive has become a PR thing arranged by publicists and agents to promote an actor with an upcoming project.  If you look back over the past decade or more, you'll see that every single SMA had a big project coming out right about the time the award given to them.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 7
13 hours ago, Notabug said:

Dempsey was selected because he has a big movie coming out; Ferrari.  The Sexiest Man Alive has become a PR thing arranged by publicists and agents to promote an actor with an upcoming project.  If you look back over the past decade or more, you'll see that every single SMA had a big project coming out right about the time the award given to them.

I also read something that said he had union approval to talk about his movie.

Basically he was the best available.

• Useful 6
On 10/28/2023 at 8:28 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Speaking of Old Hollywood, here's another reason I love Greta Garbo: she was in a relationship with frequent onscreen partner John Gilbert. He desperately wanted to marry her, but she turned him down several times. Their relationship fizzled out, and he eventually died tragically young. Did Garbo wallow in self-pity? Hell no! A few years after his death, she quit the biz, lived a fabulously eccentric single life, and even went on to say "I can't remember what I ever saw in him". 

A bit callous, one could argue, but her honesty was refreshing (I mean, what did she owe him at that point?), and sure beats the mealy-mouthed, indiscriminate use of the word "soulmate". Garbo lived her life and moved on, good for her. Living in the past is anything but healthy.

Greta Garbo performed a great kindness to John Gilbert after their relationship ended. With the transition to sound in 1929, Garbo's career at M-G-M rose to even greater heights while Gilbert's imploded. (Gilbert is considered one of the greatest casualties of the transition to sound if not the greatest.)

In any event, M-G-M was prepping Queen Christina for Garbo in 1933 and they cast Laurence Olivier in the role of the Spanish ambassador. For whatever reason, Garbo didn't like how things were going with Olivier. Since she had cast approval, she went to Louis B. Mayer (legendary head of M-G-M from 1924-51) and asked to have Olivier replaced. Mayer told her she could have anybody she wanted. Garbo replied "Jack Gilbert" and Mayer promptly threw a fit because he hated Gilbert. But Garbo held firm because she knew how much Gilbert had done for her when she came to M-G-M in the mid-1920s and he was still the bigger star.

The actress Colleen Moore (herself a huge star during the silent movie era) wrote later:

"I have always loved Garbo for this last, wonderful gesture - to try to give Jack his career again. We all loved her for it."

• Like 10
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I thought that was Clara Bow. Her thick Brooklyn accent made her unsuitable for speaking parts. 

I've seen one of Clara Bow's sound films and in my opinion her voice fits her screen character *perfectly*.  She actually was very successful in the sound era until she walked away due to burnout and personal problems.   Interestingly she hated making sound films because she could not move naturally as she had in the past due to the placement of the early microphones on the sound stages.

Colleen Moore also made an early sound film, the fine film The Power and the Glory with Spencer Tracy. She also had a voice that was fine for her.  She chose to retire as well.

• Like 5
  • Useful 8
26 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Courteney Cox has also shared some thoughts on Matthew Perry, and a video, on her Instagram. 

In today's installment of People Are the Worst -- below that is a post she made when Suzanne Somers died (apparently, they were friends), and when Perry died two weeks later, people hopped right on that Somers post with "Why a post for her and not Matthew?" attacks.

I know, I know -- don't read the comments.  Because of shit like this:

Really Courteney... your best friend died and u didn't say anything about him and now this .. are u out of ur mind .. 😐😶💔💔poor Mathew 💔 he knew there is no one by his side 😢

• Sad 11
15 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

There is no amount of money that would make me want to be under the kind of constant scrutiny celebs face, especially when they are trying to grieve for someone they cared about. Everyone grieves differently, everyone processes death differently and at a different speed. It is terrible that these people aren't allowed the dignity to grieve privately.

None of them owe us anything. I am sure Matthew knew what he meant to them and that is what matters. I am sure they all reached out to his family to offer there condolences, support, words of kindness, whatever they felt comfortable with, and that is none of the our (the public, fans, etc) business. 

I am very grateful that no one was harassing me to comment when someone I cared about died. We should allow celebs the same space to deal with the death in their way in their time and privately! 

Tagentically related, Ryan Reynolds was awarded the Order of British Columbia yesterday and naturally people took to his Instagram post to ask why he isn't speaking out about the Israel/Palestine war.

Edited by RunningMarket
spelling
  • Sad 6
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, badhaggis said:

I was not sure how to react to this post. I wanted to give it a heart but the Instagram pressure pushed me over to sad.

I totally get it @badhaggis! I've noticed a growing trend of people pushing celebrities to speak out about this particular topic on posts that have absolutely nothing to do with it. (I encourage you to visit Ryan's IG post on his award though. It is in typical Ryan humour about promising things to the guy at Safeway and then realizing it's not a political appointment.)

• LOL 10

All the celebrity sites are posting about Snoop's Instagram message:

After much consideration & conversation with my family, I've decided to give up smoke. Please respect my privacy at this time.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CztuhospV_w

For example:

But none even ask the question as to whether this is a smoke issue or if it includes edibles. 

I guess "respect for privacy" still does exist.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Useful 5
  • LOL 2
41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

All the celebrity sites are posting about Snoop's Instagram message:

For example:

But none even ask the question as to whether this is a smoke issue or if it includes edibles. 

I guess "respect for privacy" still does exist.

Is this going to be like the Friends episode where Monica convinces her boyfriend "Fun Bobby" to stop drinking and it turns out Bobby is actually quite boring?

Edited by RunningMarket
  • Wink 3
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

Tagentically related, Ryan Reynolds was awarded the Order of British Columbia yesterday and naturally people took to his Instagram post to ask why he isn't speaking out about the Israel/Palestine war.

Maybe I'm weird, but I really don't care what people who play act (or sing, or play a sport) for a living think about world politics. Ryan Reynolds is hilarious and hot and that is all I need him to be. And he is VERY good at both. 😁

• Like 13
  • Applause 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

This is awful. 

I remember Dana mentioning Dex a lot in his 1995 special. Condolences to his family and friends.

I don't disagree with Mr. Carvey's assessment of the rags but I don't recall hearing about  said rags saying horrible slurs against his poor son.

All the above said, what a horrific tragedy for all of the younger Mr. Carvey's loved ones! I  hope they will be able to somehow unite and help each other because this is something that, at best, they will have to come to terms with but will never be able to 'get over'.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I don't disagree with Mr. Carvey's assessment of the rags but I don't recall hearing about  said rags saying horrible slurs against his poor son.

Most likely he is reacting to TMZ using their despicable police sources to break the story early and while the family was still reeling from the news. Carvey’s statement was posted 15 minutes after TMZ reported the death. 

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

10 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

George Brown, co-founding member and drummer of Kool & the Gang, dead at 74

Leaving Robert "Kool" Bell as the only remaining founding member. 

“Brown co-wrote many of the band’s iconic songs, including…‘Celebration’…”

My favorite was “Let’s Go Dancing”.  I found their vid of that song last year and it’s like they filmed a spontaneous neighborhood dance-off (“Oooh, la la la!”).  Such joy!

RIP, Mr Brown.  I expect you’re awaited for a repeat performance.

• Love 6