Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

This is sad news. 😥 From The Hollywood Reporter:

Former Smash Mouth Lead Singer Steve Harwell in Hospice Care

A rep for Harwell, 56, tells The Hollywood Reporter that he is “resting at home at being cared for by his fiancé and hospice care.”

“Although Steve is here with us still, sadly it will only be for a short time,” the rep added.

According to TMZ, which first reported the news, Harwell has struggled with alcohol abuse for years and is in the final stage of liver failure.

• Sad 15
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know why he can’t get a liver transplant?

He has other serious health issues including heart failure. 

Yes, I liked how Smashmouth revived so many 60's hits and got the younger generations to consider retro being cool!

It's quite tragic that Mr. Harwell died at age 56 after struggling the last few years but what makes it even more poignant is that in 2001, his son Presley died of acute lymphatic leukemia at the age of 6 months! Mr. Harwell did what he could to honor his  son's life by starting a research fund in his late son's name but, not unlike Prince re his own son shortlived son  Amiir, I can't help but wonder how life would have been very different had his only known offspring  survived.

RIP, Mr. Harwell!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3
  • Sad 9
30 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Smash Mouth played at that huge Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in 2020

I had wondered about the band in general since then due how dangerous that was. Hopefully that decision didn't play into his health issues having gotten worse enough since then.

It didn’t. His reported health issues were all directly related to severe alcohol abuse. He had Wernicke’s encephalopathy (wet brain) so his erratic behavior at performances in the couple of years leading up to his leaving the band were likely a result of that. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

It didn’t. His reported health issues were all directly related to severe alcohol abuse. He had Wernicke’s encephalopathy (wet brain) so his erratic behavior at performances in the couple of years leading up to his leaving the band were likely a result of that. 

Still it was a bad move to play that event.

• Like 7

Dang, that was fast. Yeah, I remember Smash Mouth being all over the radio during my teen years - not just "All Star",, but "Walking on the Sun", "Can't Get Enough of You, Baby", "Then the Morning Comes"... I liked those songs. 

And of course, there was the band's cover of "I'm a Believer", too. 

Wow. That's sad. Way too young. 

• Like 15
24 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Still it was a bad move to play that event.

Yeah. That was my point. His bad decisions in the period leading up to leaving the band were likely impacted to some degree by his dementia. Less than a year after Sturgis he had progressed to the point he couldn’t hide his illness on stage. The rest of the band doesn’t really have any excuse. 

21 hours ago, roamyn said:

Gary Wright has died at age 80.
I loved 'Dream Weaver'.  It's such a unique and experimental song.  Many of his songs were, tho.

Gary Wright's "Dream Weaver" still plays in my mind, long after many other songs are gone. 

Sadly, from TMZ:

...We're told he'd been diagnosed with Parkinson's about 5 or 6 years ago, as well as Lewy body dementia shortly thereafter.
Gary's Parkinson's progressed rapidly over the past year, and Justin says his dad eventually lost the ability to move around and speak.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/09/04/dream-weaver-love-is-alive-gary-wright-dead-dies/

Mom's last 5 years with Parkinson's presented like that. So sorry for Gary Wright and his family. 
He did live a full life: wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Wright

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Sad 16
8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

When I think of the summer of 1999 (sixth grade for me), “All Star” is the first thing that comes to mind because that song was playing nonstop.

Such a tragedy that this happened. We’ve lost too many music greats this year.

Yeah this is really sad.  I was never a huge Smash Mouth fan but I remember Walking on the Sun coming on the radio and it felt like there was nothing like it at the time.  It was definitely a stop and listen song.  I can probably go a lifetime without hearing All Star again but Then the Morning Comes was another good single. RIP Steve.

I also liked their cameo at the end of Rat Race.

• Like 9

Wasn't sure where to put this since it's not official yet but are any of you following all of the speculation about Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas? I never had a vested interest in their relationship, but pictures of them both minus rings was followed with articles in TMZ and People that seemed planted by his team that skewered her and said he was looking into divorce lawyers. And now he keeps posting pictures that very obviously show off him wearing his wedding ring. 👀

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
26 minutes ago, Zella said:

Wasn't sure where to put this since it's not official yet but are any of you following all of the speculation about Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas? I never had a vested interest in their relationship, but pictures of them both minus rings was followed with articles in TMZ and People that seemed planted by his team that skewered her and said he was looking into divorce lawyers. And now he keeps posting pictures that very obviously show off him wearing his wedding ring. 👀

I’ve never followed them but this story is everywhere. The timing (Friday before a three day weekend) makes me think it was a PR leak. I have found it interesting that the story was so clearly written in his favor but the reaction I am seeing is solidly on her side.  

54 minutes ago, Dani said:

I have found it interesting that the story was so clearly written in his favor but the reaction I am seeing is solidly on her side.  

Agreed. The pictures of him suddenly with the ring are so blatantly "Look at my wedding ring!" that it's also pretty off-putting. I think he must have recognized the reaction wasn't what he was looking for, but his solution didn't make him look any better. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Zella said:

Wasn't sure where to put this since it's not official yet but are any of you following all of the speculation about Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas?

Never heard of either of them, so off to Google ... but suspecting I won't give a shit once I inform myself.

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

Sorry, but I’m still not over Jimmy.  I just rediscovered “Boat Drinks”, a song I would belt out lusty & loud during my snowbound seasons:

This morning I shot six holes in my freezer; I think I’ve got cabin fever! Somebody sound the alarm…

Could that man nail a lyric for lifting you out of a mood, or what?

• Like 14
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, roamyn said:

Apparently Gary Wright has died at age 80.

I loved 'Dream Weaver'.  It's such a unique and experimental song.  Many of his songs were, tho.

Me, too! It’s a HUGE childhood memory. Also “Love is Alive” is absolutely amazing.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Never heard of either of them, so off to Google ... but suspecting I won't give a shit once I inform myself.

And you shouldn’t 🤣.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, voiceover said:

Sorry, but I’m still not over Jimmy.  I just rediscovered “Boat Drinks”, a song I would belt out lusty & loud during my snowbound seasons:

This morning I shot six holes in my freezer; I think I’ve got cabin fever! Somebody sound the alarm…

Could that man nail a lyric for lifting you out of a mood, or what?

My condo has this decoration by the pool: 

7CDFF93D-09EC-4B1B-8C0E-67020DBF28FF.thumb.jpeg.1ae5d0583fc307e545778a59050ccbee.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 4

Looks like it's official that Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas are divorcing. I have to say I love that people are noticing the leaking of this news and the "Joe has had to take care of his own children" narrative doesn't pass the smell test. I've seen speculation that he is trying to get ahead of something negative coming out about him by going scorched earth first. She's always been pretty private about the relationship considering they are both celebrities so I'm definitely side eyeing the leaks and negativity being proactively thrown her way. I do wonder if the fact that he got with her when she was 20 and he was 27 is a factor given she is now a lot closer to 30 and coming into her own as an adult. 

https://www.today.com/popculture/joe-jonas-sophie-turner-divorce-rcna103286

• Like 14
1 hour ago, bluphoenix451 said:

Looks like it's official that Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas are divorcing. I have to say I love that people are noticing the leaking of this news and the "Joe has had to take care of his own children" narrative doesn't pass the smell test. I've seen speculation that he is trying to get ahead of something negative coming out about him by going scorched earth first. She's always been pretty private about the relationship considering they are both celebrities so I'm definitely side eyeing the leaks and negativity being proactively thrown her way. I do wonder if the fact that he got with her when she was 20 and he was 27 is a factor given she is now a lot closer to 30 and coming into her own as an adult. 

https://www.today.com/popculture/joe-jonas-sophie-turner-divorce-rcna103286

I was going to say the same thing. The way his team is trying to spin this against her is highly suspect. I’ve never followed them but it runs pretty counter to my general perception of them. When I’ve seen clips it has always seemed to be about her supporting his career.  

This whole narrative about how he is caring for the children alone completely ignores that she is currently filming. If it was reversed no one would blink that she was primarily taking care of the kids while they both work. 

I've also seen interviews where Sophie Turner has said that to work on projects, she has literally just moved the family, so she can see her kids every day. And it seems like the first time she actually goes away to film, Joe acts like a martyr because he has to take care of his kids? So, yeah, even without really following either of them and just knowing about her through osmosis from watching GOT, I'm pretty unimpressed with his spin.

• Like 14

They issued a joint statement asking for privacy which was followed almost immediately by another TMZ article with “sources close to Joe” vaguely putting the blame on her. 

They have been so private their entire relationship that no on even knows their youngest child’s name but now his team won’t shut up and are involving the kids. No matter why they are divorcing, that is a bad look. 

1 hour ago, Fool to cry said:

I agree, they fumbled it and shouldn't have said anything.

So true. The bizarre way his team decided to get in front of this is just reflecting poorly on him.  

I’m Not Buying the Narrative That Sophie Turner Is a Bad Mom - This opinion piece really sums up how I feel about the whole thing. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

I’m Not Buying the Narrative That Sophie Turner Is a Bad Mom - This opinion piece really sums up how I feel about the whole thing. 

That was good; I'm here for anything that calls out the misogyny that drips from tabloids' pages.  And it's heartening to read this is largely having the opposite effect from what his team clearly intended:

Given all the tabloid drama against her, I wouldn’t have been surprised to learn that women and the internet were collectively turning on Turner, calling her a bad mom, a party girl, or worse. Instead, a strange and beautiful thing has been happening. People, especially women, have seen through the attacks and rallied around Turner in droves in her comments on Instagram and elsewhere online.

Great closing line:

And staying silent and working out your personal issues in private so your kids aren’t embarrassed in the tabloids? That sounds like Sophie Turner's being a pretty good mom if you ask me.

• Like 17
  • Applause 6
On 9/7/2023 at 8:49 AM, Notabug said:

Bruce Springsteen has cancelled all tour dates in September due to illness. Reportedly, he has peptic ulcers.

I saw him in New Jersey last Friday and it was his usual high energy, phenomenal show. Played about 3 hours nonstop.

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/bruce-springsteen-postpones-september-tour-dates-illness-1235715776/amp/

Bruce is one of the few legends that I haven’t seen in concert.  I’m worried that it might never happen.  I pray that he recovers and is able to continue shows, if that’s what he loves.  The man is amazing for any age. 

• Like 9
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Bruce is one of the few legends that I haven’t seen in concert.  I’m worried that it might never happen.  I pray that he recovers and is able to continue shows, if that’s what he loves.  The man is amazing for any age. 

I've seen him every time he's toured since '85; last weekend in Jersey was my 3rd time this tour (Cleveland and Wrigley Field in Chicago being the others).  Also saw Springsteen on Broadway which was really special. There is virtually nothing compares to a Springsteen concert.  Nobody is having more fun than Bruce.  And nobody works harder to entertain his fans, either.

Bruce will be 74 later this month, BTW.

• Like 11
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

In news about celebrities that we actually like Chris Evans is off the market

Details are few but I’d love it if he used his dog in the wedding.

I remember the outrage over Dodger not being included in any of Evans' Sexiest Man photos. If a photo of Dodger in some kind of doggy tux gets out there - it will break the internet. (See: previous photos of Dodger in matching sweater to Chris' Knives Out character.)

Edited by RunningMarket
  • Like 7