Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: A Knife and No Coin

• Start Topic

Haven’t been watching, but I tuned in to the last twenty minutes or so (eh, nothing else was on).  Surprised to see Walker smile (when did that happen).  Utterly, ut-ter-ly thrilled.  Thrilled!!! to watch Jamie finally get one over on Beth.   

• Like 10

I like the fact that Jamie knows Beth wants to kill him so he's planning to put a hit on her.  However, I don't think the plan is going to work and Jamie will--once again--suffer for it somehow.  I also don't trust Brunette Beth whatever her name is.  She stayed upstairs while Jamie and Beth were fighting, and conveniently didn't come downstairs until it was over.  Has there been any mention of where Jamie's girlfriend Christina and the baby are?  Did she leave him last season?

Carter got laid.  😊  How cute, and I'm glad that she seems normal and not like a young Beth.

I got bored with the cattle roundup stuff, but it was nice to see Jimmy and Emily happy.  

• Like 9

I would be happy that Jamie got one over Beth but we all know Beth is the darling of the show and will always win over Jamie. I wish he would have had her arrested for battery; I just can’t with the casual violence on this show. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Market Equities Sarah doesn’t want to take out a hit on just Beth. She wants to take out a hit on John too. Good luck with that. 

ETA: And then she’s going to throw Jamie under the bus for it.

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Like 7

Beth just  followed Jamie to the train station but she did not know about where all the other bodies were; so in this case I don't think that its a plot hole. 

So Sheridan must have found time in between his 431 other shows to meddle in this episode ; thus we have yet another useless flashback that doesn't advance the plot; an even longer interlude with Jimmy that doesn't advance the plot, and an extended country music montage showing the ranch hands wrangling cattle into the trucks for their Texas vacation. It was just over 20 minutes of show time taken up by Sheridan filler, not counting of course the commericals for other Sheridanverse shows. 

I will say it was nice for Jamie to finally grow a backbone and stand up to Beth; even if he did miss the gaping plot opportunity of throwing her impulsive ass in jail for both breaking and entering as well as assault. Jamies skull must be even thicker than I thought for him to absorb a blow from a fucking brick and only have a minor hairline cut that zit face Market Equity hooker dabbed away. 

His zingers about the poor prospects for both the cattle business as well as Beths lack off offspring were the best lines he's had in the series to date. That said as others have mentioned Beth has such thick plot armor there is no way she won't prevail in the long run .

• Like 14
  • Applause 2

Jimmy seems stable, lets see how it goes when his friends are with him.

Jamie's just stupid, there's no coming  back from his putting hits on his family members like his father tried before him. Then he tries to say his child is an heir, pretty sure John would have that in his will that none of Jamie's offspring would get the ranch.   Tate being sole heir is blah too, Tate would lose the ranch in a week. Beth should adopt Carter or something, make him an heir. 

• Like 8

Sarah Atwood undoubtedly heard Jaime screaming about the train station, and if she's the plotter that she's supposed to be, Beth, John, & Co. are in real trouble regardless of Jaime's future.  But it was fun to see  Beth put on her backfoot for a few minutes.  John's explanation - "Yeah, we kill people.  Deal with it." and her acceptance of that seals their eventual doom.

"A trip to Texas might help Teeter with a little speech therapy."  Hee.

I'd like to note that the vote for impeachment hearings was 67-33.  John Dutton doesn't have quite the support that he thinks he does in the legislature.

Nice to see John actually used the 'no man's land' explanation for the train station.  We saw it here first!

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Market Equities Sarah doesn’t want to take out a hit on just Beth. She wants to take out a hit on John too. Good luck with that. 

Yeah, if she manages to wipe out most of the family one way or another Market Equities can swoop in and buy the whole ranch, which as Sheridan constantly reminds us is e-freaking-normous.

• Like 2

Yeah, no, the whole branding thing still doesn't work for me. I know it's voluntary and other groups do it (such as a certain college fraternity), but ugh, what an immense load of macho b.s.

Jimmy! Heh, there must have been a loud, collective groan across the country when he appeared.

Jamie has lost his mind. But Beth or Dutton not having someone on Jamie who could've given them a heads-up ahead of time seems odd to me. They keep underestimating him.

Oof, Summer shouldn't have told Beth she has peanut allergy. That's a weapon Beth can stash away for future use.

How sad for Carter not to be going to school. I know a lot of kids get homeschooled but he's not even getting that. He gets little socialization with children his own age, plus he's being intellectually crippled. Bet that girl he was with will end up pregnant, because of course.

Hmm, Jamie asking Sarah if she can recommend any black ops organizations. Is that how he's taking her down, getting her implicated in a murder-for-hire scheme against ME's known enemy? He has to know he's being set up by her, right?

So this episode is the mid-season break until summer. Meh, I'm not interested in watching any of the spinoffs until then. Thanks a lot, Sheridan.😡

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

Did I find this episode interesting?…No

But was I happy to see Jimmy again?…Also NO! Ha ha, seriously, I am glad Jimmy is doing well and is content with a seemingly nice lady who isn’t trying to get him killed by pushing him into the rodeo life, but I got more than enough of him last season. Don’t need to see him again, thanks. But the fact that John is sending his cattle to the Texas panhandle, and 6666 Ranch is in Texas, leads me to believe we will see Jimmy again (boo!). I have been fast-forwarding the episodes, so I may have missed some things!

Beth should just leave and go live with Rip for the next year. It would probably be good for her anger issues.

l can’t believe these people were having very loud conversations about their body dumping ground! I’m sure the lady in Jamie’s bed didn’t hear a thing, LOL.

This show wastes such valuable time on stupid things that we don’t need to see. Last episode made it clear that they were going to disappear the body of the guy young Rip ended up killing. No need to expand more on that or on young Rip being branded. I also don’t need to see endless scenes of everyone on horseback driving cattle. That stuff just seems like filler that sucks up screen time. The writers (or is it just TS??) seem to have run out of ideas.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

The branding thing is horrific as is the idea that you have to pledge your entire life to a cattle ranch. Refusing to get Carter an education or the least bit of kindness, also horrific. Beth seems to know only one insult for women; call them hookers. Glad her expensive education helped her with beating on people and hurling insults. Then of course there are the frequent suggestions she has sexual designs for her own father. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Jimmy! Heh, there must have been a loud, collective groan across the country when he appeared.

(Scene in the writers' room)  "So, what are they saying over on the boards at PTV?"  "They're talking a lot about Jimmy."  "Alright, cool!  More Jimmy it is!"  "No, wait....damn, too late now"

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
18 hours ago, Jason B said:

Beth acted like she didn't know about the train station, yet she was already there when Jamie was dumping his father's body. Major plot hole or am I missing something?

Right???!!!! Does Taylor Sheridan think we are all slack jawed yokels that have no memory of any episodes whatsoever? Sloppy writing and editing...nearly spit my coffee out when the show opened with Jimmy and his hot wife (?) getting it on...OMG...obviously Sheridan is laying the groundwork for his Four Sixes series by doing crossover episodes. Dollars to donuts some of the cast from Yellowstone ends up being cast on the Four Sixes. Have to point out the ridiculousness of Beth being able to just open an unlocked door and walk into what I presume is the Governors mansion...no State Police security or any security for that matter outside or inside. It's an insult to our intelligence as viewers that things like this are not corrected before filming begins. Sloppy and lazy production and showrunning.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

(Scene in the writers' room)  "So, what are they saying over on the boards at PTV?"  "They're talking a lot about Jimmy."  "Alright, cool!  More Jimmy it is!"  "No, wait....damn, too late now"

Lol, they're not too fond of Jimmy over on reddit either so PTV can't take all the blame.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Right???!!!! Does Taylor Sheridan think we are all slack jawed yokels that have no memory of any episodes whatsoever? Sloppy writing and editing...nearly spit my coffee out when the show opened with Jimmy and his hot wife (?) getting it on...OMG...obviously Sheridan is laying the groundwork for his Four Sixes series by doing crossover episodes. Dollars to donuts some of the cast from Yellowstone ends up being cast on the Four Sixes. Have to point out the ridiculousness of Beth being able to just open an unlocked door and walk into what I presume is the Governors mansion...no State Police security or any security for that matter outside or inside. It's an insult to our intelligence as viewers that things like this are not corrected before filming begins. Sloppy and lazy production and showrunning.

Beth only saw Jamie dumping his dad's body and maybe knew of the Train Station, but she didn't know John was killing a dumping bodies there.

Also, Beth broke into Jamie's house not the Governor's mansion.

Edited by rr2911
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Hmm, Jamie asking Sarah if she can recommend any black ops organizations. Is that how he's taking her down, getting her implicated in a murder-for-hire scheme against ME's known enemy? He has to know he's being set up by her, right?

Good catch!  I think a show where there is a powerful family like the Dutton's is going to be very difficult to take down.  Even though Jamie is not treated well by the family except for Kayce, I think Jamie is a Dutton all the way and will do anything to keep the name and family from harms way.  The look on Jamies's face when his secretary made her feelings known about Sarah, indicated he knows Sarah is playing him.  He is gathering evidence to take down Sarah and ME!

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I liked the scenes with Teeter and her man (sorry I don’t know any of the bunk house guys names except Lloyd). He looked so sad she was leaving.  Other than that….I got nothing!

"I...love...you" was nice but what I really wanted was to hear Teeter yell out as they drove away, "You take car of my bar!" Would have been great to see a shot of the pink bear sitting on her empty bunkhouse bed.

1 hour ago, rr2911 said:

Good catch!  I think a show where there is a powerful family like the Dutton's is going to be very difficult to take down.  Even though Jamie is not treated well by the family except for Kayce, I think Jamie is a Dutton all the way and will do anything to keep the name and family from harms way.  The look on Jamies's face when his secretary made her feelings known about Sarah, indicated he knows Sarah is playing him.  He is gathering evidence to take down Sarah and ME!

If Jamie has double-cross plans he completely blew them by yelling all the secrets of the train station while she was right upstairs, or more likely listening at the top of the staircase.

That said, I do think it's possible he will prove himself a Dutton and that he wants to save the ranch for his son and Tate. He did seem to believe his secretary was right, and I'd love for him not to be such an obvious fool. Still, he was an idiot to tell Beth those things with Market Equities temptress within earshot. That was all I could think of even while I was trying to enjoy the look on Beth's face when she understood what he was telling her about her precious father.

• Like 8
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, rr2911 said:

Beth only saw Jamie dumping his dad's body and maybe knew of the Train Station, but she didn't know John was killing a dumping bodies there.

My recollection is that Beth knew that Jamie was going to the location of the Train Station, so she got there ahead of him and was hiding until she could take a picture of him. So her shock at the notion of the Train Station seemed unlikely.

The second point - after breaking into Jamie's house, she went to where John was (Governor's Mansion maybe) and just walked in without knocking or being stopped by security. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Awww...I don't understand why Jimmy gets so much hate.

When he was on the Dutton ranch he was part of the plot. Now, his scenes only waste time that could be spent advancing the plot. Instead they serve as a vehicle for Sheridan to inflict stupid rodeo/cowboy montages.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, Msample said:

When he was on the Dutton ranch he was part of the plot. Now, his scenes only waste time that could be spent advancing the plot. Instead they serve as a vehicle for Sheridan to inflict stupid rodeo/cowboy montages.

But that's not Jimmy's fault.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

My issue with Jimmy is that last season, he made terrible, dumb, life choices. I may be misremembering, but didn’t he participate in a rodeo, get injured, and have John tell him stop? And then his stupid ass kept at it and nearly got himself killed? Also, he was dating that annoying barrel racer. Dumbass. And watching episode after episode of “Jimmy Becomes a Real Cowboy at 6666 Ranch” did NOT endear him to me, unfortunately.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

The second point - after breaking into Jamie's house, she went to where John was (Governor's Mansion maybe) and just walked in without knocking or being stopped by security. 

She is his Chief of Staff as well as his daughter, so she probably doesn't have an issue with security keeping her out of the Governor's mansion. I assume security is around the perimeter of the property, and might not be right outside the door.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

But that's not Jimmy's fault.  

Jimmy is a character in a television show, who is a function of the plot...
I find Jimmy to be almost completely useless and his scenes annoying for many reasons, including what @SonofaBiscuit mentions. It's Taylor Sheridan's fault.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Other than the useless and irritating intrusion of jimmy, I liked this ep.  But I too am confused about BitchBeth's reaction to the Train Station. Like @KittyQ, I thought Beth had arrived there before Jamie and hid until she took his picture, implying she was aware of the location and function of the TS.  

When do we get part 2 of this season? At least I have a few weeks -- or months? -- to believe that Jamie could be victorious over BitchBeth. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, rr2911 said:

Beth broke into Jamie’s house and afterwards went to the Governors mansion to confront her father. No security and unlocked door. 

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Moose135 said:

She is his Chief of Staff as well as his daughter, so she probably doesn't have an issue with security keeping her out of the Governor's mansion. I assume security is around the perimeter of the property, and might not be right outside the door.

Uh no…there would be a State Police presence at the front door inside and out. Irregardless of his daughter’s position in his cabinet she would be checked before entering. 

• LOL 1
On 1/1/2023 at 9:38 PM, RedDelicious said:

This is why I can't root for Jamie... because he's an idiot.  Surely he is smart and astute enough to realise he is being used.  He knows he is being used but he can't see beyond the fact that he's going to stick it to Beth and to John.  Does he think this woman is then going to support and protect him?  Of course she won't, she's going to pin it all on him.  He'd get his revenge with Beth and John presumably dead, but he will be in prison and on death row.

On 1/1/2023 at 10:35 PM, Msample said:

So Sheridan must have found time in between his 431 other shows to meddle in this episode ; thus we have yet another useless flashback that doesn't advance the plot; an even longer interlude with Jimmy that doesn't advance the plot, and an extended country music montage showing the ranch hands wrangling cattle into the trucks for their Texas vacation. It was just over 20 minutes of show time taken up by Sheridan filler, not counting of course the commericals for other Sheridanverse shows. 

14 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Awww...I don't understand why Jimmy gets so much hate.

I loathe Jimmy for multiple reasons but the chief reasons are 1) at one point he was the special snowflake of the show, ooh he's trying to be a cowboy but he's really bad at it, oooh he's getting so much better... whatever.  2) his scenes are completely extraneous to the show.

Has he always looked so old?  I don't fault the actor for balding but it seemed like this episode his head is really misshapen.  Like Ed Harris in Westworld old and misshapen.

As soon as Jimmy came back, my fastforward button got used again.  Makes the show that much shorter.

I would assume that "6666" is going to air in the "Yellowstone" timeslot until the summer?  So Rip and Company are going to cross over and that's supposed to be our hook to want to watch it?  I have zero desire to watch "6666" and I hope that Jimmy permanently stays on that show.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
53 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I would assume that "6666" is going to air in the "Yellowstone" timeslot until the summer?

I don't think they have even started filming it yet, I haven't heard anything about what is filling in for 'Yellowstone' until they get around to airing the second half of this season.

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

As soon as Jimmy came back, my fastforward button got used again.  Makes the show that much shorter.

I guess I'm not the only one who watches the show with the fast forward ready for 6666 content or extended music montages. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, KittyQ said:

My recollection is that Beth knew that Jamie was going to the location of the Train Station, so she got there ahead of him and was hiding until she could take a picture of him. So her shock at the notion of the Train Station seemed unlikely.

About you second point....

Are they really going to show the viewer security checks every time someone visits the mansion?  To me, it's one of those things the viewer assumes happened (security checks, etc.)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Beth broke into Jamie’s house and afterwards went to the Governors mansion to confront her father. No security and unlocked door. 

So, do we the viewer always need to see someone get checked by security?  Why can't it be assumed she was checked before? 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

About you second point....

Are they really going to show the viewer security checks every time someone visits the mansion?  To me, it's one of those things the viewer assumes happened (security checks, etc.)

I was just responding to someone to clarify that Beth didn't break into the mansion, but she did seem to go in without anyone stopping her. Personally, I would have thought that the front door would be locked so someone couldn't just walk in, but a lot of TV shows don't bother to do something like that.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Good Lord show, we do NOT give enough of a shit about Jimmy for a 5 minute scene of him sweet talkin' his gal and tickling her feet. Sheridan probably thinks that pointless, agonizing scene will give all the little ladies watchin' the romantic cowboy swoons. 🤮  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7

Commenting as I watch, will edit as I go along 

Young John Dutton couldn't lie for Rip about the dead cowboy, but he could participate in disposing of the body and then have Rip branded.  Because that’s so much more ethical.  At least we found out who started the branding - young John Dutton. Yet he couldn’t stay and do the deed himself, he assigned it to Lloyd.  

wow- we almost made it a half season without the Texas crew.   I really dislike these forced commercials for Sheridan’s ranch and Jimmy’s love life. 

The idea of Jamie  giving a speech to the state’s legislators without the Governor and his chief of staff knowing about it until afterwards is ludicrous. As is the fact that Beth’s phone wasn’t blowing up before Summer showed her the video. 

Did John say ‘120’ years of them holding the ranch?  Shouldn’t it be more like 138-140?  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

New to this chat room and relatively new to Yellowstone. Just started watching this year but I did binge through the first four. I haven't liked an hour long show like this since St. Elsewhere. Yeah, that's how old I am. Love every character, every one of them. Great writing in creating depth of character for all of them. As I think of this last episode I don't think I can add anything that hasn't been posted. Looking long term, this episode makes me wonder how many seasons are left. Has that been published?

• Like 3
8 hours ago, WatcherUatl10 said:

I actually enjoyed Dutton's scenes with Monica, etc. (Whoever is playing him in the prequel is not selling it for me). I DO wonder whether any of those he interacted with might think he's dying, though.

Are you referring to the prequel show 1923 or to the flashbacks embedded in Yellowstone?  This John Dutton would not exist in 1923 while Josh Lucas is playing this John Dutton of 30 years ago.    I don’t this he quite gets John Dutton right either but that could be the writing. 

Edited by mythoughtis

I probably should start a separate thread but 1923 isn't doing it for me. Absolutely cannot stand the story line about the mistreatment of young Indian girls by the Catholic church. Not that I doubt it happened that way. I'm the last person to stand up for a religion that grew on the backs of others. It just saddens me more. Harrison Ford and, especially, Helen Mirren are great but somehow that plot does nothing for me. I'm only interested in the brother in Africa. Don't know if that can sustain me.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, WatcherUatl10 said:

Beth is magic. Remember last season when she went to pretend a conjugal visit with the guy in prison? In order to make her exit from the cell more dramatic she just wanders up to the cell door and opens it, letting herself out. No calling the guard or being checked to see if she's being used to help the guy escape. She just goes where she pleases when and how she pleases.

I actually enjoyed Dutton's scenes with Monica, etc. (Whoever is playing him in the prequel is not selling it for me). I DO wonder whether any of those he interacted with might think he's dying, though.

Yeah...Taylor Sheridan and his showrunners are serving up alot of "magic" and don't seem to be even trying to be presenting much realism to their scripts. It is well known that Kevin Costner wants out and has expressed this several times in the last few years...I predict that his character will be killed off next season...either by illness or some sort of hit job. The new struggle for power will be between Kacey (sp?) and Rip. Some of the ranch hands that went down to Texas with Rip will stay at the Four Sixes...that will bring some viewers over from Yellowstone. I clould be totally off track with this but I guess we'll see how this plays out. Sheriden seems pretty fixated on romanticizing cowboy life. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Jimmy is Juice from SOA.  I wonder if he likes pie...

Of all the nuts-o draaaaaama, the thing that made me most angry was the Guv's refusal to give Rainwater a heads up that he was gonna go to the mat with him over this latest threat to their respective fiefdoms and also did  not let him know that he would do his damnedest to be at the speech.    

I laughed at Sheridan's demand we suspend disbelief that Jamie was about to deliver the impeachment speech in legislative session.

OK.  No cow disease which put the whole Texas move into motion, but no discussion whatsoever about calling it off and returning to the Y any assets already on their way?  Literally insane.

I just can't buy Monica's near-total switch in loyalties from tribal ways to Dutton ways. 

IIRC, Kayce has refused (with good reasons) to reveal to her the specifics of the visions he had.  Now, he lies by omission about this sacred rite as he gives her half-truths when they discussed the East Camp.  I feel for him, but he had to know this was the last real chance he would have to take his family away from the madness.  They are now gonna go down with the doomed ship, the Y.

I think this next finale will have the Guv facing mortal peril.  He gone, imo.

• Like 2
On 1/6/2023 at 9:43 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Jimmy is Juice from SOA.  I wonder if he likes pie...

OK.  No cow disease which put the whole Texas move into motion, but no discussion whatsoever about calling it off and returning to the Y any assets already on their way?  Literally insane.

What is SOA? The actor was in some Law & Order:SVU Chicago PD episodes this season.

None of the Yellowstone's cattle tested positive for brucellosis, but the bison from Yellowstone Park did have it and were on Yellowstone ranch pastures. The risk for the cattle grazing there was too much to just leave them in those pastures. If even one had tested positive for it, the cattle herd would have had to have been destroyed. 

Edited by zoey1996