Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: What's Your Fantasy?

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The 118 race to the rescue at a renaissance faire, then an office building when an overbearing boss is poisoned. Athena fears for May's life when she encounters a disturbed young man. Buck babysits Jee-Yun as Maddie and Chimney begin house-hunting. Eddie and Carla prepare Christopher for his first school dance.

Airdate: 11/14/2022

43 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Buck babysits Jee-Yun as Maddie and Chimney begin house-hunting

Please let this C plot just be cuteness with a bit of hijinks and not some emergency——unless it involves Jee-Yun in a toddler-sized firefighter's hat while she observes from an approved car seat in the fire truck.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Kind of a filler episode, although this is probably going to make May reconsider school in favor of emergency services again.

I did love the assistant who thought he killed his boss. 

I'm a little confused by this episode, though. I could have sworn last week it said "only 2 more episodes until the fall final" which usually means they'd air 2 episodes + fall finale = 3 more episodes to go.  But tonight, they announced the fall finale is right after Thanksgiving which makes me think they're skipping an episode.  Do we know if something came up in December? 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Kind of a filler episode, although this is probably going to make May reconsider school in favor of emergency services again.

That was really good work by the actor, and I'm wondering if she's going to choose a major that will point her toward a career in law enforcement/emergency services.

The creepy incel was WAY over the top. He should have been wearing a sign that said "check my closet for guns." But when he started blubbering and crying as he was being arrested, it was gratifying.

The stupid f*ckers (literally) on top of the truck should have been arrested. And the "funny" last shot of them in a hospital elevator was another example of their selfish stupidity.

• Fire 1
  • Love 5

Who was the guy that May brought home with her? Have we seen him before? If so I did not remember him.

Hard to believe the incel guy didn't have a gun. If they did this story on 9-1-1 Lonestar (or just about any other state) he'd have a whole arsenal. 

So Maddie and Chim cannot find a house they can afford; can't they at least find a 2-bedroom apartment?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

The creepy incel was WAY over the top. He should have been wearing a sign that said "check my closet for guns." But when he started blubbering and crying as he was being arrested, it was gratifying.

I wanted him taken out. I just did. Having Athena ventilate the guy would be a good message to send to incel communities.

I don't recall Darius from before but no biggie. I like seeing May be confident and capable.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Nice deployment of Mariah Carey's Fantasy to play up the theme of the episode.  Not the ODB version, sadly,  I don't believe.

Hen greeting everyone with a 'Top 'o the Morning to you.' as she walked through the Ren Faire cracked me up.  They were in Medieval England, Hen,  not an Irish pub.  LOL.

The one girl who was the oldest sister in the bee rescue at the Ren faire has one of those faces where she could be anywhere from 16 to 30.

I love domesticated Bobby and Athena as they welcomed Darius to dinner. They give off such authentic mom and dad vibes.

Good lord, that incel was the incelliest.  I kinda wish they had made him more self effacing or more low key and not so immediately creepy.  His crazy would have had a better punch, imo.

I liked the follow up on all the rescues.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Who was the guy that May brought home with her? Have we seen him before? If so I did not remember him.

7 minutes ago, marceline said:

I don't recall Darius from before but no biggie. I like seeing May be confident and capable.

Darius was in a few episodes in season 3.

He was at the Grant/Nash house for dinner with the family one evening before he took May out, and got an interrogation from Athena, then he was May’s prom date and took pictures with her by Athena’s hospital bedside when she was attacked, and then he was at the graduation party at the Grant/Nash house where he was teaching Bobby how to dance in the season-ending montage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

You know, I thought that initially at first before I realized who they likely were basing his character off of; there was an incel named Elliot Rodger who made misogynistic videos, spewing his hatred of women, and then he went and killed six people and himself, and injured a dozen others. I'm sure there are other guys like that, perhaps other examples they based this guy off of, but this was the first example I thought of, and Elliot Rodger was a lot more obvious in his hatred for women.

So, yeah, there ARE people like this guy out there who are way more obvious and don't get caught. 

Yeah, I also did not remember May's boyfriend at all, but figured we had seen him before. As for that entire plot, it was ok, definitely had to suspend some disbelief in May being allowed to talk this guy down. Also, I noticed he was played by Robbie Kay, who played Peter Pan in Once Upon a Time and in Heroes Reborn so that was neat.

More Bobby and Athena, please. They're so great.

Same with Chimney and Maddie, and I loved seeing Buck with Jee. It only took two seasons for Buck to share scenes with his niece. Hopefully that continues. I enjoyed Buck being out of his element with an active Jee. Caring for a seven+ year old Chris is different than an under two year old Jee. I only wish that plot lasted more than five minutes. 

I loved seeing Chris go to his first dance, and loved seeing Carla again. I was surprised Buck didn't go with Eddie and Carla to the dance, but it does seem like they're trying for more Buck/Hen scenes (with Buck going with Hen and Denny to the Ren Faire).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Hard to believe the incel guy didn't have a gun. If they did this story on 9-1-1 Lonestar (or just about any other state) he'd have a whole arsenal. 

And Owen would have been the one to single handedly take him down.  🙄

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

This used to be one of my never-miss shows.  Now I find myself fast-forwarding through boring (IMO) parts.  I guess that means I'm getting tired of the show.  I don't know if it's the writing or what exactly doesn't draw me like it used to.  Maybe it's me just getting old and cranky and thinking "this makes no sense" and ff to a part that looks half-way interesting.

• Love 2

I think my favorite part was Bobby yelling at the couple about it being a fire engine, not a truck. I thought, “ooh Bobby’s been watching Chicago Fire too.”  But now I’m wondering, have they always only used the engine, and not the truck?

• Love 6
23 hours ago, marceline said:

I wanted him taken out. I just did. Having Athena ventilate the guy would be a good message to send to incel communities.

There was an episode of Evil where an incel was being coached to take out a bunch of women and children, and as he was posing in front of the mirror with all his cool hardware...he accidentally shot & killed himself.

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 2
On 11/15/2022 at 11:14 AM, marceline said:

Maybe. But it could have just as likely fueled the fire. 
I'd rather have the actor reappear (perhaps after he's been medicated for schizophrenia?) and is now a feminist who runs a support group for former incels.

• Fire 1
  • Applause 1
On 11/14/2022 at 11:09 PM, Irlandesa said:

I did love the assistant who thought he killed his boss.

My favorite plot line this episode. I've had a boss or two I might have had a few negative fantasies about (not quite as far as that assistant, but then I've never had a boss quite that bad)

I thought Jee Yun and Buck were cute. There might have been a little too much with her in one episode - but at least it was all cheerful, no gloomy stuff. Seems like two people working for the fire department and 911 ought to be able to afford a two bedroom apartment.

I could see May becoming a hostage negotiator. That may be a little on the nose, but it's not the most subtle of shows. Though I did think when her boyfriend appeared that she didn't look particularly thrilled he was thinking about transferring to her school. That doesn't seem to be the way they intend it to go, however.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I thought this entire episode was awful!  Every setup before the actual "emergency" seemed to go on longer than it should have and they were all pretty stupid! 

The incel kid was so over the top!  I find it hard to believe his other roommates basically ignore his behavior because "he pays his rent and cleans up after himself."   And because May was a 911 dispatcher for a year, she's now a professional hostage negotiator and more trained than Athena or Athena's boss?!  Come on!  

I don't remember May's boyfriend from previous 911 episodes...I only remember him as Roger's son from Lethal Weapon TV show 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

“Uncle Buck…” 😊

I have been waiting for Buck (or Albert) to babysit Jee-Yun on screen and finally got it, after nearly 2 seasons. Cuteness overload! 😍

Agreed with some of the comments above re May’s storyline, it’s far fetched. With only a couple years of experience as a 911 operator, May has evolved into an impromptu master negotiator. Her mother, with decades of experience, has been sidelined. What a BS.

An employee having dark fantasies to hurt his mean boss, very therapeutic! You do whatever you can to cope with the pain while exploring other options.

The horny couple is so pathetic. Just rent a truck and safety harnesses, then do it all you want.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Uncle Buck…

That was adorable. “What do we say, what’s Uncle’s name?” Buck with kids is delightful (and hot). I was surprised that Jee Yun is two.

11 hours ago, juliet73 said:

The incel kid was so over the top!  I find it hard to believe his other roommates basically ignore his behavior because "he pays his rent and cleans up after himself." 

I didn’t think he was that over the top - as someone mentioned, there have been people his age who have carried out what he was planning - but I did think it was nuts that his roommates ignored it. Even if it was assigned (which I don’t think it was, they were living independently, right?), you go to housing services and tell them you don’t feel safe.

On 11/16/2022 at 12:56 AM, ajsnaves said:

I think my favorite part was Bobby yelling at the couple about it being a fire engine, not a truck. I thought, “ooh Bobby’s been watching Chicago Fire too.”  But now I’m wondering, have they always only used the engine, and not the truck?

That made me laugh. Captain Bobby taking his job seriously is my favorite Bobby. Second is Good Husband and Stepdad Bobby.

On 11/15/2022 at 11:13 AM, iMonrey said:

So Maddie and Chim cannot find a house they can afford; can't they at least find a 2-bedroom apartment?

I thought they were IN a 2BR but maybe it’s one. I can buy that they can’t find a house - LA COL is stupid high and I don’t think either of them makes a ton.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, juliet73 said:

And because May was a 911 dispatcher for a year, she's now a professional hostage negotiator and more trained than Athena or Athena's boss?!  Come on! 

It may be a stretch - but 911 dispatchers do go through the wringer talking people down so they can get the information they need - and in many times in extremely critical situations. It's a high burnout field, at least in my town. Besides, the guy called May, so she was already trying to talk him down.

Love Athena, but I cannot see her talking anybody down.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I thought they were IN a 2BR but maybe it’s one. I can buy that they can’t find a house - LA COL is stupid high and I don’t think either of them makes a ton.

There was a mention at some point about it being one bedroom. I wondered how Chimney's cousin and Buck lived there (not at the same time) with Chimney and Maddy at one point.

Buck's place is a studio with a loft bedroom. I would estimate it's no larger than 500 square feet.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Didn't Maddie and Chim both blow a lot of money when they were apart?

Yeah, both of them blew through their savings when Maddie left for Boston and Chimney followed her with Jee. So that's very likely why they don't have the money for a better place. If even just Chimney didn't take off for several months with Jee, they might have had enough for a new place.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I forgot Maddie inherited from her ex - she spent all that? Wasn’t it a few hundred grand?

She underwent some intensive long term inpatient therapy. And this was after she'd quit her job, so no health insurance. I'm guessing there's nothing left.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I forgot Maddie inherited from her ex - she spent all that? Wasn’t it a few hundred grand?

Yeah, I think that was said, because:

3 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

She underwent some intensive long term inpatient therapy. And this was after she'd quit her job, so no health insurance. I'm guessing there's nothing left.

Seems that they should have at least mentioned them being broke in this episode, but I can totally understand not wanting to dredge up the worst storyline ever created to explain an actor's maternity leave.

Maybe Buck, Chim, and Maddie will get a place together so baby hijinks can ensue in the background?
ETA: Only cute hijinks permitted. No real 9-1-1 emergencies allowed with Jee Yun.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

They might have some left, just not enough to purchase a house. They still need money to pay their current rent, buy groceries, pay for what Jee needs (since she's so young and constantly growing), pay for car insurance and other needs. They may not be broke, just don't have enough savings at the moment for a new place. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Every setup before the actual "emergency" seemed to go on longer than it should have and they were all pretty stupid! 

Yeah - the one with the employee who kept fantasizing about killing his boss did go on a lot longer than necessary. In fact, at first I thought it was a commercial, and then I thought I had accidentally switched channels to another show.

• Love 2

Liked that Bobby's lucky numbers for the lottery are Harry and Mays birthdays and then Athena being annoyed that the last two numbers weren't her birthday, but the last year the Minnesota Twins won the World Series.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I thought incel guy was probably just considered low key antisocial. It seemed like he only snapped when May, a female, was around. I got the feeling the other roommates didn’t usually bring females around too often where he would have to interact with. 

(edited to fix uncle/incel auto correct)

Edited by yourdreamer
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
40 minutes ago, yourdreamer said:

I thought uncle guy was probably just considered low key antisocial. It seemed like he only snapped when May, a female, was around. I got the feeling the other roommates didn’t usually bring females around too often where he would have to interact with. 

And, too, having a roommate who is quiet and pays rent and doesn't make a mess? It's a huge challenge, especially at that age, to find roommates like that. So if he hadn't been around female guests before to show his anger, I get how they wouldn't know his true colors.

Often people with prejudices are very nice to people who aren't in their target-for-hate population, and if it never came up, then all the guys around him never saw his unpleasant side.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I know it's never going to happen but I'd love to get crossover between this show, Lonestar, Station 19 and Chicago Fire. Like a national firefighter muster (skills competition) that has all four houses cross paths. They're all such different vibes that the reactions to meeting each other would be.... interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I know it's never going to happen but I'd love to get crossover between this show, Lonestar, Station 19 and Chicago Fire. Like a national firefighter muster (skills competition) that has all four houses cross paths. They're all such different vibes that the reactions to meeting each other would be.... interesting. 

See which one uses the least water possible. Better still, have any such competition judged by now-retired Roy DeSoto and Johnny Gage.

That's the best part—sometimes they show up in Engine 118, and sometimes in Truck 118! And when they're in the Truck, it's a tiller rig with nobody in the tiller cab. Station 19 has that problem too. At least Chicago Fire is sensible enough to use a conventional rear-mount aerial.

• Love 2

Buck is a single guy with single guy expenses.   Plus he gets fed at the 118 for a fair amount of his meals so he doesn’t have to worry about meals.   As for Maddy and Chimey they had a fair amount of expenses.  Even if they both have better then average medical insurance Chimneys has been seriously hospitalized twice (neither were technically in the kind of duty even though the 118 could fudge it and lie) and Maddie kinda as well both physically and mentally.  So they have bills.   Plus a young child which in itself isn’t cheep.    So I can see them not liking the places they can afford and being ok with the way things are for now until they can afford a place they could raise their daughter in instead of just settle.

As for May.  I think it just came down to the professionals realizing May was already talking to incel guy.   She had a repor with him.  You don’t just switch horses midstream that could be just as dangerous and May did have some amount of training and could be fed what to say and not say.   It all made sense why it was her talking to the guy while Athena did her thing.     Plus you don’t really want to kill these guys.  You just make a martyr out of them to the others out there.  Take them out crying and blubbering.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

As for May.  I think it just came down to the professionals realizing May was already talking to incel guy.   She had a repor with him.  You don’t just switch horses midstream that could be just as dangerous and May did have some amount of training and could be fed what to say and not say.   It all made sense why it was her talking to the guy while Athena did her thing.     Plus you don’t really want to kill these guys.  You just make a martyr out of them to the others out there.  Take them out crying and blubbering.

All of this. May spent the better part of two years dealing with 9-1-1 calls from silly to life-changing. She had good training and supervision, so she was an asset at the scene, and I'm glad they realized that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hen cheerfully greeting everyone at the Ren Faire with a very hearty "Top O The Morning" like she's at a St. Paddys Day parade was hilarious, as was everyone at the Faire giving a big "Huzzah!" as the ambulance drove away. That was probably my favorite part of the episode, that and Bobby chewing out the stupid couple who tried to have sex on their fire engine. And its an engine, not a truck, thank you very much. 

Buck was truly made to be a cool uncle. 

Poor May cant even go see her boyfriend at his apartment without a near miss with a potential mass shooter and a hostage crisis breaking out. I like Darius, he seems like a nice kid, hopefully he and May can have some fun times. 

Fun episode. The subplots were all well done and I always like when they do follow ups to the rescues. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Buck was truly made to be a cool uncle. 

What's weird is that when Maddie and Chim returned to pick up their kid, they didn't even seem to notice the apartment was completely trashed. Maybe they're used to that in their own apartment (although it didn't look like it when we saw it) but when they left Buck's place it was spotless.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1

Making Jee’s bedroom in the middle of the living room was ridiculous, especially with parents who work all these weird hours going in and out.  I don’t understand why they didn’t make the bedroom Jee’s room and then just buy a pull out couch or something for the living room for themselves.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

Making Jee’s bedroom in the middle of the living room was ridiculous, especially with parents who work all these weird hours going in and out.  I don’t understand why they didn’t make the bedroom Jee’s room and then just buy a pull out couch or something for the living room for themselves.  

I’m guessing the writers first thought of that👆 logical choice, and then flipped it because that’s how this show rolls.😉

With their 'weird hours" though it's also hard for them to sleep, especially during daytime without blackout curtains. Then add in the fact that no couch pull out bed is as comfortable as a real bed, and it really seems like moving quietly around the toddler if she's asleep is by far the better choice. She's not always going to be sleeping either but with two people working first responder/dispatch hours, there will be a tired adult needing sleep most of the time.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1