Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Quarterfinal #5: Troian Bellisario, Wil Wheaton and Hasan Minhaj

• Start Topic

No idea who Troian Bellisario is. Between Wil Wheaton and Hasan Minhaj...I don't know who to root for! (Hasan was on Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me! this weekend, too.) 

Edit: 13 minutes in and I am rooting for Wil. Hasan needs to chill.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 8

Oh my I like Hasan but it seems like he got a different memo than the other two regarding how “on” they were expected to be. I was hoping they would pull him aside during the first break, but no…

Edited by SoMuchTV
If I’m going to snark on him I should at least spell his name correctly
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Oh my god Hasan, just pick a clue!! And we don’t need self congratulations from anyone after a correct answer is given. And it’s annoying that Hasan looks at the camera when he answers…l
My I seem cranky tonight! 😆

Edited by chitowngirl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I don't know any of these celebrities; is Hasan always this obnoxious?

No, I normally like him a lot. He's getting on my nerves tonight.

11 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

My I seem cranky tonight! 😆

Join the club!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I don't know any of these celebrities; is Hasan always this obnoxious?

I don’t think I’ve seen any of his stand ups but he played an annoying correspondent on The Daily Show, and he seemed pretty normal (for a comedian) whenever I’ve seen him in guest spots. I’ve always liked him - I feel like he’s gotten some bad advice here!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don’t think I’ve seen any of his stand ups but he played an annoying correspondent on The Daily Show, and he seemed pretty normal (for a comedian) whenever I’ve seen him in guest spots. I’ve always liked him - I feel like he’s gotten some bad advice here!

I don't remember what he was like on TDS but I liked his show Patriot Act. I have his new Netflix special on my list but haven't watched yet.

• Love 1

Hasan really needs to use his inside voice.  He's awfully shouty!

Will seems to be the only one who isn't soooo slow to pick the next clue already.  I'm rooting for him!

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

It seems none of them picked up on the fact that in Directional Geography, the answer had a North, South, East, or West direction in it…

At least the best player is moving on to the next round

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
9 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Glad Will Wheaton won. 

That Hasan Minhaj guy was ridiculously obnoxious and did himself no favors.  He certainly didn't make any new fans by that clown performance.

Agree on all of the above. I’ve never seen HM act like that. I normally like him a lot, but not tonight. And is it just me, or has the pronunciation of both his first and last names changed since The Daily Show? 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, SHD said:

Agree on all of the above. I’ve never seen HM act like that. I normally like him a lot, but not tonight. And is it just me, or has the pronunciation of both his first and last names changed since The Daily Show? 

Yes, he “corrected” it a few years ago.  It was Americanized early in his career. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
19 minutes ago, ajsnaves said:

Yes, he “corrected” it a few years ago.  It was Americanized early in his career. 

Thanks! I thought that might be the case. I didn’t think Jon Stewart was mispronouncing it all that time.

• Love 1

Add me to the list of those who were dismayed by Hasan’s “performance”. I only know him from The Daily Show, but liked him then. After this? Hard to say. I feel like I should apologize to Iliza Schlesinger— her first appearance was subdued and charming compared to this.

So, so happy Wil won. I don’t think I could make it through Hasan round 2.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Count me with those who were disappointed Hasan acted like such a jerk.  I wouldn't call myself a huge fan, but I've seen him here and there and thought well of him generally, so I wanted him to do well.  I can't imagine many who didn't know him before tonight will be running to check out his new special.  Too bad.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

That was quite sad that no one recognized a picture of Maryland!

I agree, that was pretty bad!  It did seem the map was on screen for only a short time before they switched to the photo of Justice O'Connor, for absolutely no reason, but still.  It shouldn't've been rocket science.

I did get Chevy Chase.  There is also a Chevy Chase neighborhood in DC itself, bordering the MD suburb.  After some renovations, my Catholic high school rebranded itself with an address in "Chevy Chase, DC," which I found very pretentious.  It was, and I think still is, very uncommon for anyone to give an address in the city other than as just "Washington, DC."  I was told this even led to problems with the mail from time to time.  I'll never forget "Chevy Chase" and the silly putting-on-airs it represents to me!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I don't remember what he was like on TDS but I liked his show Patriot Act. I have his new Netflix special on my list but haven't watched yet.

It's every bit as fantastic as his first one.

I was at my parents' house and my mom had this on after football, but I was in the other room with my dad.  She asked me who "this obnoxious guy" is, and it was Hasan.  I figured she was just being a cranky old lady, but that seems to be the consensus here so far, too.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

I did get Chevy Chase.  There is also a Chevy Chase neighborhood in DC itself, bordering the MD suburb.  After some renovations, my Catholic high school rebranded itself with an address in "Chevy Chase, DC," which I found very pretentious.  It was, and I think still is, very uncommon for anyone to give an address in the city other than as just "Washington, DC."  I was told this even led to problems with the mail from time to time.  I'll never forget "Chevy Chase" and the silly putting-on-airs it represents to me!

Chevy Chase, Maryland is a legitimate suburb. Not sure why you think it is putting on airs to reference it.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

Chevy Chase, Maryland is a legitimate suburb. Not sure why you think it is putting on airs to reference it.

My apologies - I tried to shorten what I first wrote and may have ended up unclear.  We were not in Chevy Chase, MD but on the outskirts of the Chevy Chase neighborhood in DC.  It is unusual to use an address other than "Washington, DC," so I felt that the sudden appearance of "Chevy Chase, DC" in our marketing as our physical address was just silly in general and specifically trying too hard to associate ourselves with an "upscale" name.  We were a solid school without gilding the lily in that way, and I was always turned off by the elitism of some of the other Catholic high schools in the area, so perhaps I was extra sensitive when I felt similar attitudes were creeping into ours.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

My apologies - I tried to shorten what I first wrote and may have ended up unclear.  We were not in Chevy Chase, MD but on the outskirts of the Chevy Chase neighborhood in DC.  It is unusual to use an address other than "Washington, DC," so I felt that the sudden appearance of "Chevy Chase, DC" in our marketing as our physical address was just silly in general and specifically trying too hard to associate ourselves with an "upscale" name.  We were a solid school without gilding the lily in that way, and I was always turned off by the elitism of some of the other Catholic high schools in the area, so perhaps I was extra sensitive when I felt similar attitudes were creeping into ours.

Thank you, 853 - I appreciate the clarification.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

That was quite sad that no one recognized a picture of Maryland!

Posters on the regular Jeopardy! board who have actually been on the show have noted that the screen with the pictures is far away and out of the direct line of sight, so probably these players wouldn't have really seen it, I guess?

12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Plus, didn’t they also say it was a DC suburb?  Limited options here, people!

But even I knew it from the clue, and I am a terrible Jeopardy! player. 
I also got Mexico City and some other TSs.

That said, Will Wheaton's life-long watching of the show paid off. 

Too bad Hasan Minaj didn't seem to know about buzzer timing. 
Maybe he wouldn't have been over-compensating so much with the theatrics if he could have rung in at the right moment?
I will give Hasan credit for best signature of the game:

image.png.434f474c0805409bd6a2b88da5a18c22.png

If this appearance on Jeopardy! tanks his career, maybe we'll see his work on train cars at RR crossings.
(kidding)

I watched this on Hulu this morning. It was great to push pause to go to the bathroom. 😜

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

OMG Mayim telling Hasan 'It's been fun watching you play' was so dripping in disgust, I love her for it.

(And before this, I really liked HM. Why was he so annoying here?)

Maybe he was trying to impress his father? Count me in as someone who was really annoyed by Hasan. I found myself unable to watch the TV whenever he attempted to answer. Also glad Wil Wheaton won - both he and Troian were very watchable.

• Like 2

I forgot the other especially bad triple stumper: the clue asking for a Vice President with the hint that “her parents were civil rights activists.”  Hmmmm…a Vice President described by “her.”  I don’t know, Alexander Polk?

• Applause 1
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

I forgot the other especially bad triple stumper: the clue asking for a Vice President with the hint that “her parents were civil rights activists.”  Hmmmm…a Vice President described by “her.”  I don’t know, Alexander Polk?

I actually didn't hear the whole clue on that one so I missed the word "her" (and most of the rest; all I really caught was that they were looking for a vice president).

I think what makes Hasan’s performance so frustrating is that but for his hamming it up, he could be a good contestant. Wil was still “On” during the episode. But he also managed to play the game, and played it well. And this version gives ample time outside of game play to in effect mess around. I think he might have been better suited an hour later on Celebrity Wheel of Fortune where the game play allows more shenanigans during the game, while still playing the game.  

• Love 2

They must be still teaching about Abraham Lincoln because we had a grade school trick or treater show up as Abe tonight. Our driveway is the bus stop. My husband said he was wearing the same costume waiting for the bus this morning. 😉

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1

My daughter said, “It can’t be Lincoln, that’s too obvious.”  I said, “This is Celebrity Jeopardy.  They only do obvious.”

Count me in those who liked Hasan on The Daily Show and want to know what zombie was responsible for switching out bodies.  I’d rather have teeth drilled or another day of Iliza than ever hear him again.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 10/31/2022 at 8:45 PM, meowmommy said:

My daughter said, “It can’t be Lincoln, that’s too obvious.”  I said, “This is Celebrity Jeopardy.  They only do obvious.”

Count me in those who liked Hasan on The Daily Show and want to know what zombie was responsible for switching out bodies.  I’d rather have teeth drilled or another day of Iliza than ever hear him again.  

I said the same thing to my husband when watching. Wil was the only contestant I was familiar with. Although he was a bit too much, I did laugh when Hasan walked away from the podium. I think it was the first time I’ve ever seen someone walk around (other than contestants that don’t make FJ). 

Since we have three rounds plus FJ, I want a contestant to be in it to win it all. Go for the big clues, go all in on the DDs and aim for $100k as a final score. 

• Like 1

I actually thought Hasan was funny. I was rooting for Wil but I like Hasan and actually laughed over Mayim’s “time’s up! TIME’S UP!” because it was so unexpected. Yes, I know I’m being inconsistent because I hated episode two when all the players were just goofing off.

• Love 2

Thanks, Hasan Minhaj for being such an a**hole both during and after the game that I hereby swear that I will NEVER watch anything of yours again.  You were super annoying during the game, which you "apologized" for as " sorry I ripped your 7 p.m. linear TV pacifier out of your geriatric mouth."

Well,  this geriatric mouth (and the money associated with it) will NEVER do anything that benefits you again.  

In fact, I will NEVER watch any celebrity Jeopardy! or any celebrity game again, so thanks.

Edited by mjc570
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, sharifa70 said:

I actually thought Hasan was funny. I was rooting for Wil but I like Hasan and actually laughed over Mayim’s “time’s up! TIME’S UP!” because it was so unexpected. Yes, I know I’m being inconsistent because I hated episode two when all the players were just goofing off.

He's right, he is a much better fit for The Price Is Right:

• "I have this unique power to piss off dedicated nerds. . . ."
    "Jimmy, that is why next summer, I, Hasan Minhaj, will be taking my talents to The Price is Right."[9:31]
    youtu.be/JjOxO3TYPwo

But does Hasan really not know about buzzer timing? 

Edited by shapeshifter
On 11/3/2022 at 6:32 PM, Glitches said:

Jeopardy! execs break silence on Hasan Minhaj’s ‘lack of composure’ in celebrity spinoff with Mayim Bialik

With the bombshell condemnation "I think Hasan knew a lot of stuff, but next time, maybe we will see a more composed Hasan"?  Oooh, burn. 🙄

Edited by Bastet
On 11/4/2022 at 11:26 AM, sharifa70 said:

I came for Wil but stayed for Hasan. Count me as one of the minors who actually enjoyed him on Jeopardy and didn't make the show boring.

I think Hasan does suffer from ADHD (I think but I could be wrong. And I am not arm chair diagnosing him, I swear I read it somewhere or he mentioned it in an interview) so that could be why he was "out of sorts" on Jeopardy.

Still enjoy him and his comedy.  He lost but he tried his best.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/20/2022 at 8:47 PM, greekmom said:

I think Hasan does suffer from ADHD (I think but I could be wrong. And I am not arm chair diagnosing him, I swear I read it somewhere or he mentioned it in an interview) so that could be why he was "out of sorts" on Jeopardy.

My diagnosis is he was intentionally acting like an asshole, and boy, did he succeed!