Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: King of the Narrow Sea

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

After Rhaenyra cuts short her tour of Westeros, Daemon introduces the princess to the Street of Silk after dark.

Reminder: 

This is for discussion of the TV show only, no book talk allowed - including saying "but it's different in the books". Any other spoilers (previews, media articles, etc) and HotD extras (After The Episode, Behind The Scenes, etc) should be in spoiler tags.

It's not GoT without icky sex. I can't decide what was ickier, Alicent just lying there as Viserys chugged away, or some uncle-niece sex via Daemon and Rhaenyra. At least the sex between Rhaenyra and Criston was fairly normal.

I am really liking Alicent. She seems to genuinely care about Rhaenyra. But her father just got fired so ...

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 1
  • Love 15

"Forgive the late hour"  "The hour is late"  "Forgive the early hour".  There was some sort of theme there but sometimes symbolism goes over my head.

Honestly, I didn't enjoy the protracted sex scenes.  Five minutes of prologue in the brothel and another 5 with Ser Criston.  Felt a little like padding, a little like "we had lots of gore last week, need to get some tits and dicks in this week".

I liked seeing Rhaenyra and Alicent start repairing their friendship.  Too bad it's doomed by dynastic ambitions.  

Lady Misery's accent is grating.  Part Creole, part Jamaican, 100% annoying.  I hope Caraxes eats her.  Or Syrax, I'm not picky.

I absolutely love the king.  He can get manipulated, but he can also be assertive when he needs to be.  So nice that he's just as complicated as his brother, but in different ways.

I also really like the actress playing Rhaenyra, and I kind of wish they weren't replacing her soon.  I'm guessing next episode is her last?

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Alicent just lying there as Viserys chugged away,

Not the most exciting of sex lives. She should have brought a book to read while Viserys did his thing. 

• LOL 22
  • Love 1

I think Vicerys believes Rhaenyra is not "innocent" anymore. I think he believes Daemon when he admits it.

Firing Hightower and wedding Rhaenyra off to Laenor Velaryon is Vicerys way of hiding that Rhaenyra isn't "innocent" anymore. Hightower is the perfect scapegoat, because his motives stated by Rhaenyra for snitching are true. Hightower wants his grandson on the throne.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Rhaenyra, you shameless hussy! 

12 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

At least the sex between Rhaenyra and Criston was fairly normal.

I was glad that it was Criston she lost her maidenhood to. And happy that Daemon stopped himself. 

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 11

Heat Arya's dagger up and the "Prince that Was Promised" prophecy shows up, like the poem on the One Ring.  Fuck off with that, reminding me of the horrible GoT season 8 AND the even horribler Rings of Power.

Also, why were so many camera shots off center?  The actor would be on the right side of the screen looking off to the right.  It was weird enough for me to notice.

Edited by mac123x
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

At least the King acted like a king instead of an old man teetering towards dementia. Glad he canned Otto, but he'd better watch his back; that man will definitely hold a grudge. Otto is probably off selling his secrets to the highest bidder right now.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 14

Would people really challenge 2 dragon riders? If Rheanyra marries Leonor she'll have his dragon too. 

Then of course we have the Targs that like to keep it in the family. We had an aunt and nephew, now an uncle and niece. Although they didn't have sex. Maesters can make plan b. I wonder if she'll drink it. 

Was the king really that blind? Even Rheanyra could see Otto was doing everything for himself. She's only lucky that she and Alicent were friends. Although I wonder if Alicent will stand up to her father now that he's been fired. She's the Queen she doesn't have to listen to him anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Rhaenyra is starting to get on my nerves.  I thought she was committed to fulfilling her duties as the heir, but she constantly sulks about marrying.  If she wants to be Queen, how on earth does she think her dynasty will continue if she refuses to marry and have kids?  Her self-absorbed nature even had her ignore the fact that Alicent was forced to do the same thing as every other woman in that time.

I was not expecting for Daemon and Rhaenyra to go there!  I thought he was taking her out so that she could see the peasants and their point of view about the throne.  When they wandering into a brothel, I was hoping it wouldn't end like it did.  I'm surprised Daemon didn't finish, since he brought it up in the first place.  I didn't think of the fact that Daemon might have done it in the first place so that he could be King Consort, I thought he had genuine feelings.

Viserys constantly has to be pushed to do stuff.  He just now realized that Otto is overly ambitious? 

I hope that Rhaenyra drinks the tea. 

Edited by peridot
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 13

All I could think during the brothel scene was “THAT IS HER UNCLE!!”  I know they are a Targaryen’s but eww eww eww, I was confused did Daemon go through with sex with Rhaenyra  or did he stop and she finished off with Cristin?   I thought he had stopped, but then when he was with his brother he implied that they did go through with it.So he lied to his brother, I think his plan was to seduce her to force his brother to wed them so he can get closer to the throne. 

I felt a bit bad for Cristin honestly, he couldn’t really refuse could he, given the power dynamics. I don’t think Rhaenyra even realized that aspect of it. 

So nice to see the girls reforming the connection. Not sorry for Otto, he had the truth and it got him fired 😂. At least Viserys isn’t as dense as we thought. He clearly knew Rhaenyra wasn’t innocent.  I also felt for him when he said he would never get over Aemmas death, He really did love her. I do wonder if their sex life was more pleasurable than what I saw happening  between him and his current wife. She was thinking of England that she was laying there 🤔

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Like 6
  • Love 8

I wish there was an additional storyline following another family separate from the Targaryans, who are in power because they have weapons of mass destruction and nothing more. They're not clever or lovable. I don't care about any of them. Rhaenyra, Viserys, and Daemon could all drop dead, and it wouldn't make any difference to me. I would love it if there was a subplot of a hero's journey in this show.

Otto and Alicent are interesting to watch as Otto plots and Alicent maneuvers to put baby Aegon on the throne. 

I was surprised that Viserys wasn't a total idiot and had enough sense to send Rhaenyra Plan-B. 😏

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, bluvelvet said:

I also felt for him when he said he would never get over Aemmas death, He really did love her. I do wonder if their sex life was more pleasurable than what I saw happening  between him and his current wife. She was thinking of England that she was laying there lol.

I think it probably was -- it seemed like a real love match and he was heartbroken when she died. Alicent is purely an arrangement. She's way too young to have anything to say to him so they just do their duty.

The Alicent/Viserys marriage was pretty realistic historically. Royal marriages were arrangements and most kings had mistresses which were their real love matches.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Listen.  Looks like Daemon has no game and no stroke. That's why his wife has no white-haired babies running around the Vale.  Poor thing. Did he really think that Viserys was going to let him marry Rhaenyra?  Viserys is so sick of everybody's shyt. 

Daemon didn't last in his brother's good graces for a full day. Damn! Sneaking Rhaenyra out at night was fun, but leaving her in the brothel when you couldn't perform? That was low. Riled her up and left her wanting more. The whole time I was screaming for her to stop with Ser Criston; what was I screaming? "Girl, get married FIRST, then lay with the help!"  

Now I will admit that if Viserys thought Daemon actually bedded his niece, palming her off on Laenor Valyaryon is the best choice to keep anyone suspecting anything amiss when a white haired baby shows up. Now will she be unlucky enough to get knocked up from her handsome Knightsguard? I wish we had a definitive answer on if she drank that tea...

I want to feel bad for Alicent, but unfortunately, the life she leads is what she sort of signed up for. Is the second baby is a boy or a girl? No one ever said.  Must be a girl, because Viserys probably wouldn't bother her late at night if he got his heir and a spare. The things you have to endure to be Queen. She does feel sorry for Viserys, probably more than love at this point. He looks worse for wear, as we expected. That throne is eating him up!

I do love that Rhaenyra got her shot back at Otto in return for marrying cousin Laenor without complaint. "I'll marry my cousin, but you got to get rid of your Hand!"  But my gal was hella reckless, too. Why didn't she go back to her room the way she left it? Then she could have opened her door and enticed Ser Criston into her room that way.

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12
20 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Me? Not so much. If it's ever discovered, the best thing that will happen to him is he will be sent to the Wall. I wonder if she has any clue how much danger she put him in. (Or cares.)

Absolutely. I should have clarified I meant more for herself, for her first time, rather than sleep with Daemon. I was surprised that Criston went along with it, knowing the consequences he could face. 

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Me? Not so much. If it's ever discovered, the best thing that will happen to him is he will be sent to the Wall. I wonder if she has any clue how much danger she put him in. (Or cares.)

That's one of many reasons I don't like her ass.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, dramachick said:

That's one of many reasons I don't like her ass.

Yet he didn’t seem to care what it would do to her reputation. And he’s older and supposed to be her protector. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Yet he didn’t seem to care what it would do to her reputation. And he’s older and supposed to be her protector. 

For Ser Criston, it was pretty much a double edged sword. He couldn't really refuse her advances as she commands his very existence. He also probably had a crush on her at the same time so he wasn't thinking too clearly on the possible consequences of his actions.  I wonder if she gets to take him with her to Driftmark? Seems like Ser Criston was guarding her solely.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, Jaundiced Eye said:

Rhaenyra sure seemed to know what she was doing in the sack, what with being a maiden and all. That took me out of the scene.

She's been seeing the instructional murals on palace walls all her life.

I think she is just plain scared of dying in childbirth and who can blame her after what happened to her mother. I've seen the same fear of marriage in some romance novels.  And I think she hadn't even considered the possibility of being pregnant until the Plan B tea arrived.  Doesn't only happen when you're married!

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Jaundiced Eye said:

Rhaenyra sure seemed to know what she was doing in the sack, what with being a maiden and all. That took me out of the scene.

She had just been watching demonstrations with Daemon, but yeah. Jon Snow and his tongue were also experts on the first try, must be a perk of the blood of the dragon.

2 minutes ago, ferjy said:

He also had a means of refusal by threatening to tell. It's too bad he was 2nd choice to her uncle but he did seem to want it after the hesitant stop.

10 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Listen.  Looks like Daemon has no game and no stroke. That's why his wife has no white-haired babies running around the Vale.  Poor thing. Did he really think that Viserys was going to let him marry Rhaenyra? 

Maybe not, but it was really the only thing he could say once caught. I did wonder whether he had second thoughts on deflowering her when he was in no position to marry her or just went limp again. Surely the man has completed sex with a woman at some point in his life.

47 minutes ago, meligator said:

I wonder how Allicent is going to take her father being fired.

And finding out Rhaenyra lied to her about her virginity unless that somehow stays secret.

When Rhaenyra talked about not wanting to end up like her mother I find it very hard to dismiss it as selfishness after we all watched her mother die horribly. Alicent meant well last week speaking of how "easy" birth turned out to be, but hearing how much better than Aemma she is at babymaking would not be comforting, more like salt in the wound. And as Aemma's daughter Rhaenyra has reason to expect her luck more than her ex-bff/stepmom's. At least Rhaenyra apologized to Alicent for her comment about the unromance of royal marriage.

Alicent referred to the Targ "queer customs" after Otto tried to marry Rhaenyra off to her toddler half-brother. I think that was the exact moment Viserys realized Otto's opportunism, the suggestion being in such contrast to his thinking 12yo Laena was too young to wed.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

He also probably had a crush on her at the same time so he wasn't thinking too clearly on the possible consequences of his actions. 

Yeah, I should know by now that men are governed by their... crushes. 😉

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2
19 minutes ago, CatWarmer said:

She's been seeing the instructional murals on palace walls all her life.

Disappointed we didn't get to see the new tapestries mentioned. Maybe whoever gave them are the same people keeping them supplied in wallside erotica.

Edited by Lady S.
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3

Really interesting episode. Kind of sad that we got reconciliations with Daemon and Viserys and Alicent and Rhaenyra only to have one got straight to hell and the other start teetering again. 

It is interesting that Daemon was willing to let the King believe that he and Rhaenyra had sex as a way to get the King to agree to a marriage. 

If i had to witness all the problems that Aemma had with all of her pregnancies and then for her to die giving birth, I can see why Rhaenyra is against child birth at the moment and that she sees marriage as only a transaction/death sentence also against marriage. I did find it interesting that she wants to be Queen that she is starting to focus on that and wanting to prevent anything from getting in the way. It seems she fears that getting married will somehow pull her away from becoming queen either by childbirth or by whoever she marries. She walked a very thin line by denying Daemon took her virtue but not really denying that she was still a virgin. She made sure that she got rid of another threat by making the deal to marry as long as Otto was fired. 

I do sort of agree it is hard to root for anyone in this series especially when you have Rhaenyra basically saying what the small folk think doesn’t matter. 

I am really wondering what Alicent is feeling/thinking. I felt bad when she tried to make some small talk with Daemon and the King just kind mocked her/laughed at her. Then having to be at the King’s beck and call whenever he has the urge. Then there were all the emotions she had in her scenes with Rhaenyra.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 9
54 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I think Vicerys believes Rhaenyra is not "innocent" anymore. I think he believes Daemon when he admits it.

Firing Hightower and wedding Rhaenyra off to Laenor Velaryon is Vicerys way of hiding that Rhaenyra isn't "innocent" anymore. Hightower is the perfect scapegoat, because his motives stated by Rhaenyra for snitching are true. Hightower wants his grandson on the throne.

I think Viserys doesn’t trust her any more (and she’s given him reason not to), so he’s not taking any chances and got her some moon tea. She also asserted that had she been male she could fuck who ever she wanted (which he didn’t deny) so best get her moon tea so she can do what she wants to do without fucking up political alliances. 

Alicent was right- Rhanerya did put herself in a compromising position going into a brothel. I also like how the juxtaposed Alicent’s situation with Rhanerya’s- yes Alicent is Queen, but it’s a lonely life, and Viserys is nice to her (she knows she could do a lot worse) but she’s not in love with him and the sex is dull as dishwater. Rhanerya’s a princess, and in doing what she wanted she took a lot of risks with her position. I like Ser Cole and do NOT want to see him get his head chopped off for having sex with the Princess.

Bye Bye Otto. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11
42 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I think it probably was -- it seemed like a real love match and he was heartbroken when she died. Alicent is purely an arrangement. She's way too young to have anything to say to him so they just do their duty.

The Alicent/Viserys marriage was pretty realistic historically. Royal marriages were arrangements and most kings had mistresses which were their real love matches.

Yes. Aemma was his great love.

I think that they (Viserys and Alicent) like each other well enough, and he treats her well, but she’s not attracted to him. AT ALL. (I can’t blame her, he’s old enough to be her Dad, and he chose her not the other way around)

He probably calls for her when he wishes to have sex, and hopes a baby comes from it. I too think this was pretty common. There’s a trope that if people weren’t a love match then they HATED each other- I think it’s more common to have a situation like Alicent’s and Viserys. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

That was a good episode for Viserys. I actually respected him for once.  He himself isn't  a dragon but he understands what those personalities are, warts and all.

Hell has probably frozen over but I felt very sorry for Alicent  all episode long.  When Viserys was "doing his duty"  on top of her, and she was just lying there  all dead-eyed. Geez....

Daemon is such a fuck-up.  Any malice you want to assign to him seems to get negated promptly by self sabotage. No wonder that character is GRRM's favorite Targ.  It must be a dream for a writer to try to get into the head of someone so arrogant and prideful and at the same time so insecure and lost, and lonely? Taking Rhae to the brothel  and "seducing" her there was so uncomfortable because damn it , they have sizzling chemistry.  A bad man seduces a girl who happens to be his niece and the only reason she still has her "virtue" when he walks away from her because at the crucial moment he couldn't get it up. Shall I tell myself it was because he felt shame? Not because of the incest. They are making it very clear that the incest taboo can't ever compete with a long-standing culture of incest in house Targaryan. Look at the legendary conqueror Aegon marrying his two sisters as just one example.

Other things. I felt that Rhae totally took advantage of Criston Cole who has less power than she has. A man who took chastity vows as kings guard. This is going to end well.

This was hard to write for me. I am on one side of this conflict and it is so much easier to whole sale condemn the other side.

I am not sorry that Otto overplayed his hand and got taken down a peg.

• Like 8
  • Love 11
20 minutes ago, ybrik said:

If i had to witness all the problems that Aemma had with all of her pregnancies and then for her to die giving birth, I can see why Rhaenyra is against child birth at the moment and that she sees marriage as only a transaction/death sentence also against marriage. I did find it interesting that she wants to be Queen that she is starting to focus on that and wanting to prevent anything from getting in the way. It seems she fears that getting married will somehow pull her away from becoming queen either by childbirth or by whoever she marries. She walked a very thin line by denying Daemon took her virtue but not really denying that she was still a virgin. She made sure that she got rid of another threat by making the deal to marry as long as Otto was fired. 

Could you imagine how buck wild Rhaenyra would have been if she actually witnessed her mother getting cut up like so much meat? I wonder if she heard her mother's screams from the Tourney?

• Love 3

I am glad this episode was directed by a woman. The orgy may have been even more cringy from a male director.

This episode has taught me that there won't be any "sacred characters" on this show.  Even Rhae did not look all that likable to me part of the time. No sympathy for the small folk from her.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, ferjy said:

To be fair, Criston did try to bolt from the room and she blocked the door. He also proceeded to tell her to stop a few moments later. He was absolutely shown to care about the implications, but she wouldn't stop pressuring him.

The only way he seemed to be getting out of there is if he forcefully put his hands on her and that would be a big no as she's the princess.

37 minutes ago, Lady S. said:

He also had a means of refusal by threatening to tell.

Not much of a threat, really.

From Criston's perspective, would you expect the king to take his word over his own daughter's? Odds are she would deny it and Criston would open himself up to potential punishment. 

Even if the king believed him, Criston would create potential problems for himself with the heir to the throne.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

Something that I don't think the episode explained, but if Daemon's wife has died, why does Viserys object to Daemon and Rhaenyra marrying? Isn't that literally their custom (Viserys is the child and grand-child of two brother-sister marriages, and his wife and great love was his first cousin) to keep their blood pure? 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Speaking of which: Daemon might be a self-serving, arrogant psychopath who will screw anyone over to accomplish his goals, but look at him being one of the few in Westeros to point out that women can get pleasure from sex as well and point out the hypocrisy of how guys like him and Viserys can whore around with no consequence, but a woman like Rhaenyra gets shamed because of it.  I guess what I'm saying is that he's actually an enlightened self-serving, arrogant psychopath who will screw anyone over to accomplish his goals!  Things are really dire in Westeros when he's the closet to a male character being a feminist...

Words cannot convey how much I like this section.

• Like 2
  • Love 9

Just an uncle taking his niece to a sex show, and then doing her dragon style in an alley. Nothing to see her. Normal family stuff. 

She's fucking Matt Daemon!

No severance package for Ser Otto "I protect my sources" Hightower. He's not going to go quietly. 

Rhaenyra best check herself before she wrecks the whole house of dragons. Her temper tantrums, refusal to get married, and dismissiveness of the common people is going to burn her at some point in the future. I like a plucky, rebellious girl that says screw convention, but that's not the reality of this world (sadly). If Rhaenyra wants to prove her worth, she's gotta suck it up and swallow a heavy dose of pragmatism if she wants to stay on top. 

Poor Alicent. Close your eyes, and don't pick at the scabs.  

6 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Speaking of which: Daemon might be a self-serving, arrogant psychopath who will screw anyone over to accomplish his goals, but look at him being one of the few in Westeros to point out that women can get pleasure from sex as well and point out the hypocrisy of how guys like him and Viserys can whore around with no consequence, but a woman like Rhaenyra gets shamed because of it.  I guess what I'm saying is that he's actually an enlightened self-serving, arrogant psychopath who will screw anyone over to accomplish his goals!  Things are really dire in Westeros when he's the closet to a male character being a feminist...

100%.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6