Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

A "spaceship" is not the same as a "space station" and therefore should not have been given a BMS.. But a spaceship moves and a space station is stationary!  If the contestant had just said "space", I'd have allowed BMS, but not with "space ship".

• Like 10

I got FJ. Love that book.

I got the missed clues of Raggedy  Ann, Utah, Mommies, and trailer. I also gave myself credit for Solshenytzyn, because I think I pronounced it right.  Sure I didn't spell it right.

I got the entire categories of consonant, yeet, and fish right.

Great night.

• Like 3

Not a good game today - only got half the clues correct. And had no clue for FJ, even after I saw the correct response.

Got 3 TSs - mommies, Solzhenitsyn and Leontyne Price.

In "What Kind of TV Place You Live In" did anyone else answer The Jeffersons with "What is a dee-luxe apartment in the sky?"

• Like 8
  • LOL 7
19 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

In "What Kind of TV Place You Live In" did anyone else answer The Jeffersons with "What is a dee-luxe apartment in the sky?"

Yep, and was disappointed that the judges accepted apartment.  

• Like 5
  • LOL 8

Omg, Hannah is like the girl in every romcom who takes off her glasses and lets her hair down, and looks completely different. I saw a preview and thought, did they have to reschedule the current champ?  Just me?

For FJ I thought first of The Kite Runner, but “number” so the other one. The time frame seemed about right because my daughter was in middle school at that time and one of her soccer teammates was reading it for school. I thought that seemed pretty heavy for a 12 year old!

• Like 10
5 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Yep, and was disappointed that the judges accepted apartment.  

I don't think it was wrong to accept it since there was nothing in the clue that required the embellishment. I do wish that Mayim had said it when confirming it was correct.

I also wished that Mayim had clarified that although Vulcan is the Roman version of Hephaistos they needed the Greek name to go with Hermes. And that the difference between Moms and Mommies was just the specific wording of the title.

I was rooting for Hannah's streak but give full credit to Juveria for her bold DD wager. Her final wager should have been more calculated, absolutely no need to go all in but in the end it didn't matter. 

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

For FJ I thought first of The Kite Runner, but “number” so the other one.

Same, and I got there in plenty of time to write it down.

38 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

Absolutely!  And was totally disappointed that the contestant didn't answer that way!

I only got three TS -- Utah, Mommies, and trailer.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Omg, Hannah is like the girl in every romcom who takes off her glasses and lets her hair down, and looks completely different. I saw a preview and thought, did they have to reschedule the current champ?  Just me?

I had been thinking with the glasses she reminded me of a cross between Geena Davis and Julia Sawalha. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chicagofan said:

Maaayyybe.... ;) 

33 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I also wished that Mayim had clarified that although Vulcan is the Roman version of Hephaistos they needed the Greek name to go with Hermes. And that the difference between Moms and Mommies was just the specific wording of the title.

I was disappointed it wasn't Vulcan because that was today's A.Word.A.Day word which is the only way I would have even come up with it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I don't think it was wrong to accept it since there was nothing in the clue that required the embellishment. I do wish that Mayim had said it when confirming it was correct.

This right here is why Mayim pales in comparison to Ken as the host of Jeopardy!  Perhaps someday she will stop the giggling, although I doubt it, but she will never be able to provide quick Yes or No answers and she'll absolutely never be able to provide embellishments to responses such as those above, because if the correct response isn't on the card in front of her, she needs to wait for a ruling through comms, and she has no idea of additional background info that would be beneficial to hear. Ken, wonderful unicorn that he is, inherently knows 98% of the correct responses and the interesting little facts that go along with them! 

I had been thinking with the glasses she reminded me of a cross between Geena Davis and Julia Sawalha. 

It was today, without her glasses, that I said out loud, "Wow, Hannah looks like a young Geena Davis."

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Oh yeah; I think it would be impossible for me not to.  (Kind of like saying "Aaron Burr" like I have a mouth full of peanut butter.)

I'd never heard of "yeet" so had no idea what that category was about until the first clue.

The Heather Has Two Mommies TS surprised me.  I guess that's good, that there are so many books like that by now people have forgotten when that one was a big deal, but with book banning a national pastime once again, I would have predicted someone would know of it (then again, I guess Juveria did, she just had the wrong form of the word for mother).  I was also a little surprised no one guessed Raggedy Ann (or Andy) for a doll with a ripped head.

The Solzhenitsyn TS had me laughing in sympathy, as I always struggle mightily with that pronunciation, too.  I'm not sure I got it close enough to be accepted, but I think I might have, so I'm going to count it.

I almost ran the first round entirely, but I joined the contestants in being stumped by Utah in fish, and didn't know the mythology clue (surprise!) in Yeet.

I only ran "B" and South Pacific in DJ, but I had a good round.  I got all but one in Alex and TV (I guessed spaceship for the Babylon 5 clue [never seen it, just know it's sci-fi] and didn't come up with anything after the BMS prompt) and missed two each in the others.

I had no idea for FJ; I don't think I'd ever even heard of the book before tonight, and definitely didn't retain a single thing about it if I did, so I had no shot at getting there.

Good for Hannah, but also good for Juveria making it interesting with that successful performance in the second half of DJ.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

but I joined the contestants in being stumped by Utah in fish

I only got that because of the word Bonneville, which pointed me toward the Bonneville Salt Flats.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I only got that because of the word Bonneville, which pointed me toward the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Bonneville made me think of the Pontiac, and I couldn't get that damn car out of my head in time to think of where there was a lake/city/some feature that would actually be what a fish was named after by that name.  With more time, I'd have remembered the salt flats.

• Like 1

This was a terrible game for me. I actually did much better at Jeopardy Masters, after predicting I’d probably get 3 answers right. I did know Heather has two mommies, though.

37 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I had no idea for FJ; I don't think I've ever even heard of the book before tonight, and definitely didn't retain a single thing about it if I did, so I had no shot at getting there.

Same. I actually felt better about it when the answer was revealed— better to have zero shot than to fail to come up with something you should have known. (I think? Am I saying ignorance is bliss?)

3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Omg, Hannah is like the girl in every romcom who takes off her glasses and lets her hair down, and looks completely different.

Yes, and I thought this was a big improvement. With the loose bun, she looked like a little girl playing dress up. Today, she looked like the confident woman that I assume she is. Keep the hair down, Hannah.

1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

This right here is why Mayim pales in comparison to Ken as the host of Jeopardy! 

I don’t want to engage in Mayim bashing (the Twitter trolls are starting to make me feel bad for her, which I hate, because it makes me want to defend Mayim, which I hate even more) but you’re absolutely right. I would have been shocked if Ken didn’t respond with the song lyric, but Mayim is either not as culturally adept or less quick with a verbal quip. Maybe both. But it’s in these moments that I really miss Ken, and a good host should not make me miss another one. I really wish they were equal (just different), but they’re not.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I had no idea for FJ; I don't think I've ever even heard of the book before tonight, and definitely didn't retain a single thing about it if I did, so I had no shot at getting there.

6 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Same. I actually felt better about it when the answer was revealed— better to have zero shot than to fail to come up with something you should have known. (I think? Am I saying ignorance is bliss?)

This. Or is it these?

13 hours ago, illdoc said:

But a spaceship moves and a space station is stationary!

I don't know about that. The International Space Station is not stationary. It's in low earth orbit, and travels around the earth about once every 90 minutes.

I would say that all space stations are spaceships, but not all spaceships are space stations. This is the way.

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

When it was revealed, but before Mayim confirmed it was correct, I knew it was the right answer, but I would never have come up with it.

I said 'the East Side'!

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
16 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

do wish that Mayim had said it when confirming it was correct.

I do think Ken would have said it!

Solzhenitsyn is a slippery slope. Most of us mispronounce foreign words. Those pronunciations sounded bad to me but Mayim's didn't sound perfect either. 

• Like 5

OMG, the whiners on Twitter complaining about the judges refusing to accept any of the contestants' mispronunciations of Solzhenitsyn.  Yes, you idiots, the answers DO have to be pronounced correctly.  "Close enough" should not be the Jeopardy standard.

19 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ. Love that book.

I knew what they were going for but couldn't remember the actual adjective in the title.  All I came up with was a thousand burning nuns but obviously I knew that was not the right title.  Although it would be an awesome book title.

19 hours ago, chicagofan said:

I sang it.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 3
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I knew "Bonneville" in connection to a specific place.  Unfortunately I couldn't locate the place in time to come up with Utah.

15 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I don’t want to engage in Mayim bashing (the Twitter trolls are starting to make me feel bad for her, which I hate, because it makes me want to defend Mayim, which I hate even more) but you’re absolutely right. I would have been shocked if Ken didn’t respond with the song lyric, but Mayim is either not as culturally adept or less quick with a verbal quip. Maybe both. But it’s in these moments that I really miss Ken, and a good host should not make me miss another one. I really wish they were equal (just different), but they’re not.

Absolutely.  This kind of thing is where Ken shines.  And I say that as someone who was sure I'd hate him as host and was gobsmacked to find out how good he is at it.

2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Solzhenitsyn is a slippery slope. Most of us mispronounce foreign words. Those pronunciations sounded bad to me but Mayim's didn't sound perfect either. 

Hers was a bit off, too.  This is the generally accepted British pronunciation: 

sol·zhuh·nit·sn 

I have heard it more like sol*zuh*nit*sen as well.

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Hers was a bit off, too.  This is the generally accepted British pronunciation: 

sol·zhuh·nit·sn 

Mayim's matched that. Although per Hannah apparently it took Mayim 3 tries in the studio as well. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
2 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Mayim's matched that. Although per Hannah apparently it took Mayim 3 tries in the studio as well. 

It didn't sound like that to me but I don't still have it on my dvr so I'll take your word on it.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:
37 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

It didn't sound like that to me but I don't still have it on my dvr so I'll take your word on it.

I think SomeTameGazelle meant that on the day of taping Mayim needed 3 tries to get it right, what we saw was the edited version of when she got it.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I think SomeTameGazelle meant that on the day of taping Mayim needed 3 tries to get it right, what we saw was the edited version of when she got it.

Probably, but I meant it didn't sound like she'd pronounced it correctly to me.  Doesn't really matter that much since none of the contestants got credit for it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

sol·zhuh·nit·sn 

I have heard it more like sol*zuh*nit*sen as well.

I have heard both versions of the “z” sound, but always with a long “i”. So, more like sol-zhuh-neet-sn. Mayim saying “-nit-sn” sounded off to me, but I guess the newscasters I listen to are wrong?

• Like 1

I thought the issue with all the nopes on Solzhenitsyn was not the fine points of how to pronounce the z or the uh-sound, but that they had inserted other letters into the pronunciation that aren't in the name.  The phonetic pronunciations on J!Archive seem to confirm that, but I didn't go back and re-listen to them all.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
(edited)

I don't know what part of my anatomy I pulled it out of, but to my surprise I got FJ today. I think I remembered hearing about the latest/last "Halloween" movie coming out around Halloween last year and Jamie Lee Curtis being in it, referring back to her role in the original. I'm surprised it came to me since I'm not into that kind of movie. Interesting that Hannah's incorrect response referenced to Jamie Lee's mom (Janet) Leigh.

Much better game today than yesterday. Ran "People" and "Presidents Who Served" (Tippecanoe and Tyler too!) and got 4 right in "Less-Than Stellar Scientific Poetry", "Novels" and "What's That Smell?" TSs today were influenza (DD) and periscope.

Time to rustle up some dinner before settling in for more Jeopardy! Masters.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

May 9:

67% / 53% / 61%

Ugh, this game. Did relatively decent in J! - missed one in People and Break Things and two in everything else. In DJ I missed one in "Run", Smell, and Novels, two in Isthmus, four in Burt Bacharach and all five Presidents. My only TS was Suez.

But FJ was an instaget, so that's nice.

• Applause 2
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I thought the issue with all the nopes on Solzhenitsyn was not the fine points of how to pronounce the z or the uh-sound, but that they had inserted other letters into the pronunciation that aren't in the name.  The phonetic pronunciations on J!Archive seem to confirm that, but I didn't go back and re-listen to them all.

Oh that was definitely the problem.  They either put the "it" in the wrong place or said "chun" at the end.  All 100% wrong.

Goddamn it, so close!!  Almost got rid of her!

18 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

For me as well.  I watched the original again this past Halloween, for the first time in decades.  It held surprisingly well.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My only TS was Suez.

Ditto.

hurray for hannah! I hope she continues to do well.

I couldn't quite hear the middle woman's story about how she was on Jeopardy! before but got to come back now. Anybody catch it?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Trey said:

I couldn't quite hear the middle woman's story about how she was on Jeopardy! before but got to come back now. Anybody catch it?

She was on Sports Jeopardy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hannah is formidable, but Raquel gave her a run for her money tonight. I hope they bring Raquel back if they do another 2nd chance tournament. Is she the first contestant who's had an accommodation to sit while playing? I'm always interested in those kind of precedents.

I also liked how Joe was clutching his heart over how close Hannah came to being eliminated, basically being saved by her conservative betting strategy.

I got distracted during FJ, by wondering about Little Women, whether one of the earlier movies was in 1978, but I knew I was on the wrong track because Laurie in LW is a male character and I was pretty sure they didn't do cross-gender casting for the role in any version.... though I'd definitely watch any version that did so.

• Like 1

Raquel lost due to bad betting.  No idea what she was thinking with that bet. There was basically no way she could win 

Hannah was going to bet enough ti cover so 2801 or more.  Take that away from 26000 she can go down to 23199 or a little more.  You have to bet at least say 8600 or so and she didn't 

If they all miss she loses. 

Any scenario where Hannah is correct she loses. 

Even if shes right and the other two miss, or just Hannah misses as happened, she still loses because she didn't bet enough.  8000 to get to 22400 not enough.  

Did she just calculate wrong?  Trying to make sure she's at least second I guess if they all miss?  

I don't get it at all. Her bet guarranteed her losing. Unless Hannah missed snd bet way more than necessary. 

• Like 9
12 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Hannah is formidable, but Raquel gave her a run for her money tonight. I hope they bring Raquel back if they do another 2nd chance tournament. Is she the first contestant who's had an accommodation to sit while playing? I'm always interested in those kind of precedents.

No, there was someone (I think earlier in the season) who had a back issue and sat for some of his games. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
41 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I got distracted during FJ, by wondering about Little Women, whether one of the earlier movies was in 1978

There was a TV miniseries in 1978 with Susan Dey as Jo and Eve Plumb as Beth. 

I didn't want Hannah to lose but part of me was thinking that I also don't want to have to choose between her and Ben so if she had to lose based on Raquel's bold DD and her own wrong Final response it wouldn't be the worst kind of loss. But I'm glad she came through. 

• Like 2

Whew -- I'm glad Hannah got her fifth win despite going with the wrong Scream Queen for FJ.  I could see the moment the light bulb went on, so at first I thought she'd get it, but then she was slow to write anything down, so I wasn't sure -- I think she realized it was referring to the Halloween franchise, but then couldn't remember the actor's name and eventually thought of Janet Leigh instead of her daughter.

While the contestants didn't know what they are, I love shumai and now have a craving.

I can't believe Suez was a TS with "Canal get a witness?" as a hint.  The periscope TS surprised me a bit, too.

I almost ran the first round again, but missed one each in people, poetry, and fast.

I missed three in novels, but otherwise did well in DJ; I ran smell and run and got all but one each in the rest.

FJ was one of my most instant instagets of all time.  I love her in those films!

• Like 4

There was a TV miniseries in 1978 with Susan Dey as Jo and Eve Plumb as Beth. 

I didn't want Hannah to lose but part of me was thinking that I also don't want to have to choose between her and Ben so if she had to lose based on Raquel's bold DD and her own wrong Final response it wouldn't be the worst kind of loss. But I'm glad she came through. 

What happened in Final Jeopardy? I was watching on Youtube and it was cut off.

6 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

You’re right, but the way they stumbled over the pronunciation made it seem like they got caught in the tongue-twisterness of it all, not like they didn’t know the name. 

FJ was the instagettiest Instaget I’ve had in quite some time: Debut role? Played a teen named Laurie? Jamie Leigh Curtis! Then I read the rest of the clue to confirm.

4 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Interesting that Hannah's incorrect response referenced to Jamie Lee's mom (Janet) Leigh.

Yeah, I assume she was thinking Janet Leigh and got her mixed up with her daughter Jamie. But I also wondered if she was thinking of Jennifer Jason Leigh, whose debut role was also playing a teen (in Fast Times at Ridgemont High), around that same time.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can't believe Suez was a TS with "Canal get a witness?" as a hint.

I knew what they wanted but I couldn't come up with Suez.  Maybe they all had the same issue - the right word was stuck somewhere in their brains and wouldn't come out.

50 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Well I can forgive her for miscalculating. Better than just a bad wager. 

As a math idiot myself, I can understand that happening.  Not that I'm saying Raquel is a math idiot.  That's just me.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I almost ran novels, (got into my own way with the Bridges of Madison County), did fairly well in some others, but basically it was a mediocre game for me.

FJ was an instaget in my mind visually, but for some reason it took me awhile to drag Jaimie's full name out of my brain. But I managed it in just enough time.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Instaget FJ for me for Tuesday's game.  I love Jamie Lee Curtis, although I have never and will never see those movies.  I don't like scary movies!

The only missed clues that I got were influenza and Suez.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

May 10:

50% / 63% / 56%

Ugh. Missed one in Mission Impassable, two in 1900s and US House, three in Here There & Everywhere and After School, and four Classic Movies. Did better in DJ; missed one in Better Tomes & Gardens, From the French, and New Orleans Music, two in Straight to Jail, and three in Elements and Believe It or Not.

Did not get FJ, nor did I get any DDs, but I did get the TSes of butterfly, Jon Batiste (I had a feeling someone might stick a P in there), Lady Chatterley's Lover, flamingo, and Secret Garden.

• Like 2

I guessed Australia mostly because I was pretty sure it has 6 states. I was surprised to be right.

I got the missed clues of butterfuly,arsenic, the Secret Garden, Virginia Woolf, flamingo and Lady Chatterly's Lover.

I got the entire categories of French and tomes right.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1