Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: In Tyson We Trust

• Start Topic

I’m so ready for Leo to go, so I was disappointed he wasn’t eliminated (especially with his and Sarah’s stupid victory celebration).  What’s funny is that they only got put up because of Leo (thanks to Sarah), and they weren’t even Tyson’s choice.  I liked Cinco and Azah, so I was sad to see them leave.  That swimming challenge I would have sucked (I would have totally been getting dragged by my lifejacket back to the starting line).  Tyson sure isn’t a team player, is he?  He should be the biggest target, but right now I feel like he’s the most protected there.  Pretty impressive come from behind, though, I’ll give him that.

• Love 1

I LOVE being reminded why I have never ever once rooted for Sarah when she has been on my teevee.

Oh my god does this mean we no longer have to hear about the tortured love saga of Cinco and Cashay?  Please?

Also Cashay sure was acting like the lady on the mount for someone who was minimally responsible for the success in the challenge.

• Like 1
  • Love 13

Good God Sarah is an ass.  I like Leo well enough but I sure wouldn't want to be paired in a physical competition with him.  But good on him for coming up with a good method of getting that elimination done.

I was pretty sure that was Leo up on that platform in the commercial, and we hadn't seen that challenge yet, so that kind of killed some suspense.

• Love 2

I thought Azah and Cinco deserved to go home for refusing to tell Tyson and Cashay anything…who they wanted to go against…who they didn’t want to go against.   

Wow Tyson is a challenge beast.  Not only did he have to tow Cashay, but they had to do an extra lap because of her blunder.  

• Love 6
10 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

I’m not the biggest Tyson fan, but Sarah’s confessional about him being only a one-time winner was irritating. Sarah, so are you!

Yeah... that was interesting.

Sure, he's played 4 times and won once. However, she's played 3 times and only won once. I'm not understanding how her position is any better.

To me, winning once is brag-worthy. That doesn't sound bad to me.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 5

I feel defensive about Leo. I get how his act can get old, I get that he's underachieving, but I felt Sarah should STFU. Leo and his cousin Jamal hold the record for number of legs run on The Amazing Race. Even if they were schticky, that's still impressive.

I'm probably just irritated by Sarah in general. Seriously, if viewers had to choose whether she or fellow cop Tony would be on the show, she'd come up short. Between her aggressiveness and her post-Arena celebration, I wouldn't be surprised if she was related to Laurel.

Leo brought up cats again. Danny shouted-out his wife again. Sadly, both rank up there in thing to anticipate on this series.

I'm tired of Tyson. I still feel he lucked into his Survivor win, and I still feel he's a rat-faced a-hole. Lately, he's been chirping about how he could go on the main series and win. Basically, he's a fugly version of Wes. Who needs that?

That Arena needs to be brought to the "mothership." It was impressive, and the peanut gallery couldn't interfere that much.

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Watch, next week Tyson and Sarah will be partners. Because the teams are all chosen by random of course.

"Perfect Algorithm." My entire ass. Fuck off with that, Lavin.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

I'm fine with Sarah and Leo, so I'm glad they didn't get eliminated.

Um, Leo?  Just because YOU have a lot of respect for Tyson doesn't require that he respect you back and/or not try to eliminate you.  That's not how it works.

• Love 2

The thing about Sarah and Leo having all this rage at Tyson is that he didn't even want to put them up at first.  He was aiming for Ben, but it was Cashay who said that all the girls are afraid of being partnered with Leo, thanks to Sarah complaining about him (and at least she recognizes she's a weak competitor, so she knows she's probably screwed if she gets partnered with him).  Which, since we're on the subject of the "random" algorithm, how much do you want to bet those two do get paired up next week?

I did laugh when Tyson compared part of their victory celebration to looking like they were chomping on a turkey leg.

3 hours ago, AntFTW said:

Yeah... that was interesting.

Sure, he's played 4 times and won once. However, she's played 3 times and only won once. I'm not understanding how her position is any better.

To me, winning once is a brag-worthy. That doesn't sound bad to me.

How does Survivor work, you can win and compete again?

Or they keep inviting competitors back, give them shots to win a season?  I guess MTV Challenge does that as well, multiple shots at the apples.

But that may be why those on other reality shows want to get on The Challenge, Ty to win multiple times.

I don’t know how Derek and Cayla didn’t win, they spazzed out with the puzzle?   The swimming was serious but Anaheim couldn’t climb up those barges, even when being pulled up.

Sarahs behavior is bizarre, the whining and the finger pointing after winning the elimination.  Maybe roid rage.

I get Cashay’s short term thinking, avoiding paired with Leo.  But that’s a sign of setting her sights too low.

You want weak competitors in the Final, not the strongest ones.  All she cares about is surviving the daily and eliminations, not about winning the Final.

Tyson and Angela think they’re physically the best so it doesn’t matter the competitors.  But first, they maY not be paired so they could be competing vs. each other and the prize is winner take all.  Second, while the Finals are typically very heavy on endurance, there are puzzles and things like eating challenges.  So they need to take shots at whittling down the number of the best competitors.

Survivor is generally all newbies, but occasionally it will be all All-Stars or half returnees.  Once the returnees were voted on by the public, but mostly it’s who the producers *think* the unwashed masses want to see again.

I don’t remember all of the minutiae of it, but Tyson in one of his seasons was directly responsible for his own ouster.  That’s part of what Sarah was referencing.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Cashay is such a waste of space. Tyson having to drag her in swimming and then causing to have to go back.  Tyson won that on his own, he should not have taken her choice of who to put up. No help, no decision. 

Sarah's reaction to winning was hilarious.  Tyson was just stupid for that move.  He should have played safe. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I did laugh when Tyson compared part of their victory celebration to looking like they were chomping on a turkey leg.

I think I would hate Tyson in real life but he’s kind of funny on TV 😂

The Love Island girls are actually doing really well (ok except Cashay). Pretty sure they were included in this show to be the butt of the joke, so good for them for bringing it. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, aghst said:

How does Survivor work, you can win and compete again?

Generally, no. It’s rare for Survivors to play a second time. For most Survivor players, they play once and that’s it.

As we know, The Challenge invites people back season after season. The flagship having aired 37 seasons, and people like Nany, Aneesa, and Wes have played well over 10 seasons and Johnny and CT have played about 20 seasons.

If you remember Michele and Tommy from season 37 of the MTV show, they are Survivor winners. Tommy only played once, and it was the season he won. Michele played twice. She won her first season, which was all new people. Michele's second season was an All-Star season with only previous Survivor winners. The All-Star season aired in 2020, and also included Sarah, Tyson, and Ben who appear on this CBS show season as they are previous Survivor winners.

6 hours ago, aghst said:

Or they keep inviting competitors back, give them shots to win a season?  I guess MTV Challenge does that as well, multiple shots at the apples.

It’s rare for them to invite people back. Generally, with a few exceptions, if they bring back people who have played before, the whole cast or half the cast will be nothing but returning players. They do seasons like that occasionally. It’s not common on Survivor. With Survivor having aired 42 seasons so far, people are lucky if they play just once. I think the most one person has ever been on Survivor is maybe 4 times out of 42 seasons.

Another comparison is that The Challenge has a lot of people that have won the game multiple times. On Survivor, only 2 people have won the game more than once.

Edited by AntFTW
20 minutes ago, thestorm said:

Azah should have never been cast.  She took a spot that should have gone to someone else.  On Big Brother, she floated along.  If not for The Cookout alliance, she would have gone out much earlier.

Hot take: I think Xavier and Derek F benefitted far more from the cookout than every other cookout member. I doubt Claire, Derek X, and especially Britni would have evicted Azah anytime soon.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Generally, no. It’s rare for Survivors to play a second time. For most Survivor players, they play once and that’s it.

As we know, The Challenge invites people back season after season. The flagship having aired 37 seasons, and people like Nany, Aneesa, and Wes have played well over 10 seasons and Johnny and CT have played about 20 seasons.

If you remember Michele and Tommy from season 37 of the MTV show, they are Survivor winners. Tommy only played once, and it was the season he won. Michele played twice. She won her first season, which was all new people. Michele's second season was an All-Star season with only previous Survivor winners. The All-Star season aired in 2020, and also included Sarah, Tyson, and Ben who appear on this CBS show season as they are previous Survivor winners.

It’s rare for them to invite people back. Generally, with a few exceptions, if they bring back people who have played before, the whole cast or half the cast will be nothing but returning players. They do seasons like that occasionally. It’s not common on Survivor. With Survivor having aired 42 seasons so far, people are lucky if they play just once. I think the most one person has ever been on Survivor is maybe 4 times out of 42 seasons.

Another comparison is that The Challenge has a lot of people that have won the game multiple times. On Survivor, only 2 people have won the game more than once.

I don't think it's rare. They bring back players all the time. Pretty much half of the seasons have some returnees. Boston Rob has played 4 times and Queen Sandra has won twice and almost a 3rd time. And Tony has won twice. 

Big Brother has returnees frequently too. And there has been crossovers from those 2 shows onto Amazing Race. It's like a little club of reality show contestants. Think many hang out together. 

So I am new to this one (the Challenge) and I love it. I don't watch the love shows so much but have seen the Cinco Cash season of Love Island (only season I watched) so I know who most of these people are. It's a pretty fun show.

• Love 1

I'm a Survivor and The Amazing Race fan, so I'm rooting for all of the contestants of these 2 shows. 

I didn't mind Sarah's reaction in winning the elimination challenge.  Tyson lied straight to her face!

Tyson should have told Cashay to get her skinny ass out of here when she didn't want to choose "her girl Justine" for the elimination challenge.  Since he won that Daily Challenge all by himself, he should've been the only one choosing!

If I'm Tyson, I'm explaining to Sarah that it was Cashay who wanted her and Leo to go.  Throw her ass under the bus so we can watch Sarah gun for Cashay!

Fans of the main show of The Challenge will probably disagre with me on this, but I think the winners of the daily challenge should not choose who goes up against the losers.  I think it should be the last 2 finishers of the daily challenge should compete in the elimination round.  Because unless you win the daily challenge, even coming in 2nd place doesn't guarentee you're safe.  Couples shouldn't have been celebrating for completing the puzzle because they aren't really safe. 

I like The Challenge USA, but the show has this "The Bachelorette/Bachelor" type of vibe.  The show feels like it's relationship driven rather than competition driven like Survivor or TAR. 

Usually everyone but the winners and the last-place finisher get votes or nominate the people whom the winners would choose from.

TJ likes to throw in twists.  They haven't had one in awhile so it may be coming soon.

Usually the winner of the elimination has some additional power.  Here the elimination winner gets more money.  But do you even get to keep that money if you don't win the whole thing?

Otherwise, Sarah coming back from elimination doesn't have too much extra power unless she wins a daily or is in a big enough alliance and someone in her alliance wins a daily and she can have them throw in Tyson or Cashay.

But in the regular Challenge, the elimination winners get to sabotage a team in the next Daily Challenge, to increase the risk of them finishing last.

6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Survivor is generally all newbies, but occasionally it will be all All-Stars or half returnees.  Once the returnees were voted on by the public, but mostly it’s who the producers *think* the unwashed masses want to see again.

I don’t remember all of the minutiae of it, but Tyson in one of his seasons was directly responsible for his own ouster.  That’s part of what Sarah was referencing.

It was Heroes vs Villains. Tyson’s alliance was supposed to split the votes between Parvati and Russell 3-3. In case one played the Hidden Immunity Idol, the other would go home.  The remaining 3 voted for Tyson so it should have been a 3-3-3 tie. But Tyson decided to make it 4 votes for Parvati so she would go home. Russell played an Idol for Parv. So Parv had 4 votes but 0 votes that counted, Russell only had 2 votes because Tyson voted for Parv. Tyson had 3 votes and went home. I was disappointed Russell didn’t go home, but Tyson leaving was 2nd best. 

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Lamima said:

I don't think it's rare. They bring back players all the time. Pretty much half of the seasons have some returnees. Boston Rob has played 4 times and Queen Sandra has won twice and almost a 3rd time. And Tony has won twice. 

Well, I'm comparing Survivor to the MTV flagship Challenge. It's rare compared to the MTV show. On the MTV show, people will do back-to-back seasons. It's common for contestants to come back season after season. On the the most recent season of the MTV, the winner had played nearly 20 times on the MTV show and has won that show 5 times out a total of 37 seasons. Another contestant, Johnny Devenanzio aka Johnny Bananas, won 7 times over 20 season appearances out a total of 37 seasons.

Rob played 4 times across the first 40 seasons, and same goes with Tyson and Sandra. Sandra played 4 times over the first 40 seasons, and 2 of these appearances were All-Star seasons of only returning players. Sarah played 3 times, appearing on two All-Star seasons of nothing but returning players and winning one of them. Ben payed twice, having won his first season and appearing on an All-Star season of only returning players.

On The Challenge, contestants can be invited back to compete the very next season, and the same is not true of Survivor. Previous Survivor contestants will get a call years down the road when they want to have returning players or an All-Star season. The overwhelming majority of Survivor players only ever play once, and only ever get the opportunity to play once.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Useful 1

Although it's been relatively recent that MTV Challenge has offered huge prizes.

Used to be around $100k to be split between winners but they raised it to $1 million a few years ago.

22 minutes ago, aghst said:

Although it's been relatively recent that MTV Challenge has offered huge prizes.

Used to be around $100k to be split between winners but they raised it to $1 million a few years ago.

And that prize is usually split, sometimes amongst half a dozen people.  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

And that prize is usually split, sometimes amongst half a dozen people.  

On the Challenge, the $1 million is split 2 ways.  Sometimes 6 ways but the winning pair get like 95% of it.

They've also had winner take all $1 million, with men and women competing against each other in the Final.

2 hours ago, Runningwild said:

It was Heroes vs Villains. Tyson’s alliance was supposed to split the votes between Parvati and Russell 3-3. In case one played the Hidden Immunity Idol, the other would go home.  The remaining 3 voted for Tyson so it should have been a 3-3-3 tie. But Tyson decided to make it 4 votes for Parvati so she would go home. Russell played an Idol for Parv. So Parv had 4 votes but 0 votes that counted, Russell only had 2 votes because Tyson voted for Parv. Tyson had 3 votes and went home. I was disappointed Russell didn’t go home, but Tyson leaving was 2nd best. 

When people have to be cute and it ruins their own game in the process, it's worth it from a TV perspective.  I don't know that I think Tyson is really that great of a Survivor player.  He's not in the bottom tier of players, but not sure I'd rank him in the top tier.  His personality is likely more why he's been brought back over and over again over his actual gameplay.  The Challenge seems more his speed, and I will give him credit for what he's accomplished so far.  Especially last night, I never would have expected him and Cashay to finish first.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

When people have to be cute and it ruins their own game in the process, it's worth it from a TV perspective.  I don't know that I think Tyson is really that great of a Survivor player.  He's not in the bottom tier of players, but not sure I'd rank him in the top tier.  His personality is likely more why he's been brought back over and over again over his actual gameplay.  The Challenge seems more his speed, and I will give him credit for what he's accomplished so far.  Especially last night, I never would have expected him and Cashay to finish first.

Tyson is one I think would thrive on the flagship MTV show. With my opinion on his Survivor gameplay aside, his gameplay on this show has been not-so-bad.

• Love 1

Sarah made herself look awful after the elimination. She looked like some kind of crazy person. It was an over reaction. It's part of the game to put people into elimination. It's a little over to act like you're going to eat the people who put you in. Sarah should be ashamed of how she acted.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Libby said:

Sarah made herself look awful after the elimination. She looked like some kind of crazy person. It was an over reaction. It's part of the game to put people into elimination. It's a little over to act like you're going to eat the people who put you in. Sarah should be ashamed of how she acted.

I don't remember her doing all this went Cops-R-Us broke up the first time LOL

snoopy-giggle.gif

20 hours ago, Libby said:

It reminded me of Laurel's (misplaced, as she didn't actually win) celebration on the original Challenge series.  

As a minority Tyson fan, I loved his sheer bewilderment (whether acted or no) in his talking head as he said "and they were chewing??? on a turkey? leg????"  or whatever.  I mean, the throat cut symbol I get, but I don't think I've ever seen that one before!

Like Lantern7, I also am defensive of Leo.  I always liked the Afghanimals and since Leo's the doofier one of the two, and he likes cats, well, I can't help but enjoy him.  

His technique of sorting and numbering the "reels" proved that brawn isn't everything.  And I do get mad at huffers-and-puffers who think that if someone acts kind of happy-go-lucky they don't "want it" and the super-serious toughy "wants it more."  The Afghanimals, for all their faults, always, always made a point of how much they enjoyed every aspect of the Amazing Race--not just wins but "the ride," as it were, the countries and sights and all--and I think Leo brings that here--enjoying the experience.  I'd much rather be around him than around Frownyface Sarah.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

God, Sarah is so humorless and self-serious.  It's players like her who make me appreciate players like Tyler who don't seem to take any of this too seriously.  Like, he's there to win money and he's clearly taking that seriously, but he seems to also understand that there isn't anything personal about trying to eliminate your competition.  Sarah looked like a lunatic, and I sincerely hope she was playing up a character, though nothing about her suggests that.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Hasn't Leo now survived two eliminations?  It was him and Kayla on the stationary bike quiz, wasn't it?

No, that was the other guy with the glasses.

2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Wait!  There's two guys with glasses?  How do they expect us to tell them apart?  

Sorry - I forget everything that's happened as soon as it's over.

It's okay. I'm having a tough time remembering names this season. If they didn't come from Survivor or the one season of Love Island I watched, me and names are spending some quality time apart. I just learned Xavier's name last episode LOL

It doesn't help that I'm extremely indifferent toward the cast and not feeling invested enough to learn their names.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Once I got hooked on The Challenge, I found CBS competitive reality shows (Survivor, Amazing Race) barely watchable.  They seemed like  tepid snooze-fests by comparison.   Compared to the colorful, irrepressible personalities on The Challenge, the CBS'ers felt lame, lame, lame.

I still can't accept this show has happened.     Challenge USA sucks on every level.   The second-rate players (they're idiots except for Tyson), TJ's seemingly rehearsed schtick, the "house" of bunk beds and common areas that look like waiting areas at an airport, the politicking-lite ... it's a bloodless pastiche of the original show.

The only other thing I got is that in his confessionals, Tyson reminds me of nothing more than a male version of Laurel Stucky (convinced of personal superiority, humorless, flat and monotone delivery).

Edited by millennium
6 hours ago, millennium said:

Once I got hooked on The Challenge, I found CBS competitive reality shows (Survivor, Amazing Race) barely watchable.  They seemed like  tepid snooze-fests by comparison.   Compared to the colorful, irrepressible personalities on The Challenge, the CBS'ers felt lame, lame, lame.

I still can't accept this show has happened.     Challenge USA sucks on every level.   The second-rate players (they're idiots except for Tyson), TJ's seemingly rehearsed schtick, the "house" of bunk beds and common areas that look like waiting areas at an airport, the politicking-lite ... it's a bloodless pastiche of the original show.

The only other thing I got is that in his confessionals, Tyson reminds me of nothing more than a male version of Laurel Stucky (convinced of personal superiority, humorless, flat and monotone delivery).

At least Laurel is good for chewing someone out.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, millennium said:

But he will never do this:

giphy.gif

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, AntFTW said:

It's okay. I'm having a tough time remembering names this season. If they didn't come from Survivor or the one season of Love Island I watched, me and names are spending some quality time apart. I just learned Xavier's name last episode LOL

It doesn't help that I'm extremely indifferent toward the cast and not feeling invested enough to learn their names.

Every time Enzo is on screen I’m like: has he been here the whole time? I am pretty sure he and Dominick are the same person. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

But he will never do this:

giphy.gif

An iconic moment!  Ever notice how OTT victory celebrations are often followed by reversals?   For example, Zach going wild and throwing his helmet, barely missing Jordan's head, then finding out a moment later he disqualified himself during the elimination.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, millennium said:

Once I got hooked on The Challenge, I found CBS competitive reality shows (Survivor, Amazing Race) barely watchable.  They seemed like  tepid snooze-fests by comparison.

The Challenge is my first love when it comes to reality competition shows. Everything takes a backseat to The Challenge when there is a scheduling conflict. I don't watch TAR, BB, or Love Island but I love Survivor. I watched one season of Love Island which happened to be the season Cashay, Shannon, and Cinco were on.

The voting is much more entertaining on The Challenge compared to Survivor IMO. Johnny asking Rogan for permission to vote for Dee will beat Jeff Probst tallying votes any day of the week.

On this version of The Challenge, I think they could have done a much better job on the voting aspect to make it more juicy.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 2

I was listening to Tyson’s podcast about this week’s episode, and he did confirm that it was Cashay who really wanted Leo and Sarah in the arena, because she’s afraid of being partnered with him.  He said that part of Sarah’s victory celebration was to jump in Cinco’s lap and try to lick his face in front of Cashay.  Tyson actually was considering Derek and Cayla instead of Leo and Sarah, as he was thinking from a money stand point who were the smarter people to try and take out.  He does say that Sarah trash talked Leo so much that all the girls were coming up to Cashay and begged her to try and get him out.  

He also said he went off on one of the producers for giving them a swimming penalty in the challenge when Cashay accidentally touched a barrel, but that other teams said they touched barrels that weren’t theirs and got nothing.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 1
On 8/6/2022 at 11:28 AM, millennium said:

An iconic moment!  Ever notice how OTT victory celebrations are often followed by reversals?   For example, Zach going wild and throwing his helmet, barely missing Jordan's head, then finding out a moment later he disqualified himself during the elimination.

I suspect that happens a lot, because a lot of the Challenge people are not subtle at all, but they mostly only show us the ones that are going to burn the most when it all goes wrong.  Which is totally okay.

• Like 1
On 8/3/2022 at 11:00 PM, jsm1125 said:

I’m not the biggest Tyson fan, but Sarah’s confessional about him being only a one-time winner was irritating. Sarah, so are you!

They are both insufferable and act like they came in 2nd place in all their other seasons. Tyson was impressive in this one, though.  Props to him.

• Love 1