Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Fidelity

• Start Topic

Agree about Daniel Wu - where's his awesome martial arts?  I completely agreed with him when he said he was SO sick of Frankie moaning about her dad all the time. I was completely over Caleb's obsession with his daughter, we already went through the parental love as motivator with Maeve.   I couldn't wait for his extended message to finally end.   I also thought it sounded so stupid calling her C all the time, although we did get to know why C and not F.

This shows needs MUCH less Caleb and more Dolores/Teddy/Bernard/Maeve.  Or, less Caleb and more Ed Harris.  Or, less Caleb and more Stubbs.  

I'm almost - but not quite - hate watching at this point.  

• Like 4
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
22 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

I couldn't wait for his extended message to finally end.   I also thought it sounded so stupid calling her C all the time, although we did get to know why C and not F.

This shows needs MUCH less Caleb and more Dolores/Teddy/Bernard/Maeve.  Or, less Caleb and more Ed Harris.  Or, less Caleb and more Stubbs.  

I'm almost - but not quite - hate watching at this point.  

I’m watching because I started it and I feel like maybe they were going to pull something out that would make it worth it, and I like an hour of reliable TV Sunday night to let me release my weekend and get mentally ready for work.

However, what a shitshow.

I hate Caleb so much I would have thought I’d have enjoyed so many dead Calebs, but no. I want Caleb excised from the show. And take his dull daughter with him. I like the wife. She can stay. I DO NOT care about Frankie and I hope she dies a quick death in the first three minutes of the next episode so she and her crap father can be off my screen forever. Except it’s WW and the writers have such a boner for this duo that they’d come back.

Ugh. Give me more Clementine. I felt more in her brief scene with Charlores than I did in ANY of the Caleb/C/Frankie scenes combined. And what happened to Angela? I liked her. 

Stubbs is always a delight, but wow, Bernard is such a downer. I’m not saying he has to be the life of the party, but everything that comes out of his mouth is doom and gloom and dreary.

Throw Clementine and Jay (that was Daniel Wu’s name, right?) into a scene together and I’d probably be intrigued and invested. 

Why is this show getting it so wrong? 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 5
  • Love 3

Did Stubbs & Bernard get executed already? Since Bernard knows the future, it would be prudent for him to brief Maeve before she launches World War 3...

Edited by paigow
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I was completely over Caleb's obsession with his daughter, we already went through the parental love as motivator with Maeve.

Yeah, enough already.  We get it, he loves his daughter.  (Did he ever mention his wife?)  I think it is meant to mirror Maeve and her daughter though, complete with memories of walking through the tall grass holding hands.  I guess that's why Maeve is drawn to him?  Now that he's sent his message he can leave.  But oh, no.  Hale burns all the Calebs and starts over again?

I agree Caleb is tedious.  Having dozens of Calebs is tediouser. 😄

So how did Hale know to have a Jay host ready and waiting (and in the same clothes) when they rescued the woman?  How did she know where they'd be?  (Or did I misunderstand when the switch took place?)

I was annoyed by C until she surprised Jay by activating Maeve.  Maeve makes everyone better.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Haleth said:

So how did Hale know to have a Jay host ready and waiting (and in the same clothes) when they rescued the woman?  How did she know where they'd be?  (Or did I misunderstand when the switch took place?)

She is like The Architect from The Matrix... Lindsey has been rescued thousands of times on a loop and Bernard knew that... Hale has always replaced one of the Rebels... even Stubbs once...

That was the weakest episode of the season so far. I do not mind the daughter as long as we do not have to endure so much Caleb. He is not an interesting character, he NEVER was. 
At this point I would even say there is too much Hale. They are both repetitive and boring. They probably deserve each other.
Only good thing of this episode was the return of Maeve. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Assuming a basic baseline knowledge about grownup Frankie (such as that she is a part of a rebel group that includes Jay, her girlfriend and others) and assuming that the City is pretty well wired, it would be a fairly simple thing to a) anticipate that they would eventually come to rescue an outlier, b) have the hosts on standby for when the rebels come and then make a switch.

Yes, the same clothing is a bit of a stretch but maybe the rebels don't have many fashion options. It probably would have been better for the host version to be naked and to take the human Jay's property.

Figuring out where they would be is fairly simple. Even putting aside that there is presumably surveillance all over the place, they know the rebel's objective is to get to the outlier on the roof. So station the person in the building and make the switch there.

Of course, the bigger question for me is: why does Hale bother with this subterfuge instead of just capturing/killing the rebels and just lying to Host!Caleb about his daughter? Hell, she could even present him with a Host!Frankie. Borrow any memories from Host!Caleb of the two of them together and tell whatever story you want about what she has been doing for the last 23 years.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Now that he's sent his message he can leave.  But oh, no.  Hale burns all the Calebs and starts over again?

She can test the hypothesis that her "offspring" hate their existence... Caleb is a one "man" focus group... Now his programming can be tweaked indefinitely until all parties are "happy"

• Love 1

Well, apparently I'm in the minority here because I really like Caleb, and while Adult Frankie hasn't really made an impression yet, I'm prepared for her to. Honestly, I find Primetimer more negative than other sites like Tumblr and Spoiler TV in general. People here are even managing to complain about Motherland: Fort Salem somehow. Which makes me take any complaints I read on this site with a grain of salt.

Hope we get plenty of Maeve and Christina in these next two episodes, and Caleb interacting with people besides Halores. Aaron Paul was looking good in this episode. Hopefully this next Caleb doesn't have any subversive modifications to his base personality now that Halores has gotten her answer. It would make sense for Host William to let him out if he's questioning his reality now. Hope someone fixes whatever was done to Clementine. Why do bad things always have to happen to her?

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Like 3
  • Applause 5
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Hope someone fixes whatever was done to Clementine. Why do bad things always have to happen to her?

I love Clementine and was so happy to see her in this episode even if it was only for a millisecond.  You ask about why do bad things always have to happen to her?  You might get an answer from Angela Sarafyan's perspective of playing the role which is in this interview that was on the KTLA Morning News today.

https://ktla.com/entertainment/angela-sarafyan-touches-on-season-4-of-westworld-and-what-her-character-has-taught-her/

• Like 1

Figured early on that Daniel Wu was going to be the mole, but I was disappointed that the twist didn't lead to him getting to finally show off his fighting skills here.  I'm all for it ending with Maeve returning and being her normal awesome self, but I would have liked to see an actual fight scene.  Sigh...

I actually thought this was Aaron Paul's best work on this particular series so far (still crazy though how much better he was on Breaking Bad), but it was kind of telling that I kept wanting to go away from the Caleb scenes and get back to, well, everything else.  For whatever reason, I just am not invested in him like I am with Maeve and Bernard.  Or Christina and Teddy.  Or Stubbs.  Hell, even Clementine.  Bring back Zahn McClarnon's character again!

Stubbs reaction to Bernard casually revealing he was the mole in one time line cracked me up.  Luke Hemsworth really seems to be stepping it up this season.

Did like the different take on the opening theme song at the end.  The music never disappoints!

• Like 2
  • Love 4

What am I even watching? I cannot understand or even follow what in the hell is even happening and it is now like LOST.... boring convoluted plots going nowhere.

What happened to the original premise of visitors going to theme parks where they lived out their fantasies with robots programmed for that purpose? Why did it turn into some show about robots fighting with each other and hosts fighting and multiple duplicates of themselves in different timelines?

It took me 4 sittings to get through this episode. This series has lost it's way. 

• Love 4

I would like nothing more than to watch somebody put a bullet into the pearl of Halelores.  I'm sick and tired of the character and the actress.

On 8/3/2022 at 11:14 AM, LoveLeigh said:

What am I even watching? I cannot understand or even follow what in the hell is even happening and it is now like LOST.... boring convoluted plots going nowhere.

What happened to the original premise of visitors going to theme parks where they lived out their fantasies with robots programmed for that purpose? Why did it turn into some show about robots fighting with each other and hosts fighting and multiple duplicates of themselves in different timelines?

It took me 4 sittings to get through this episode. This series has lost it's way. 

I can actually follow the plot of this season much better than last season, which was a confusing mess.  They obviously have attempted to tell a much bigger story about what might happen when artificial intelligence surpasses us, which extends far beyond the borders of a theme park.  It ends up becoming too ambitious and too big of a story to tell, leaving a lot out, like the role of government, military, etc.  Yes, they could have kept the scope small and with a tighter timeline, and stayed focused on the original themes like what is consciousness, and the awakening and eventual emancipation of the hosts.  It would have made for a more conventional and easy to swallow story.

Edited by Dobian
typo
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

The big story is ambitious and the season too short to do anything much. You do a part and then eventually, the mythology collapses. Last seaaon was a mess and Sunday's ep was not so great.

Is Caleb 279 going to be the version that works or are there others - like the various models of Rayna in Star Trek. With two eps remaining, there is a lot of story to tell and not just Caleb. How is Maeve going to be used? One of the more pure AI programs that didn't get corrupted files? Reset things back to the theme park?

Hale could just make her plans more simple. All these variables, all the going out of one's way to do something, usually tend to fail. She does have a good wardrobe.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

She does have a good wardrobe.

That's pretty much the best thing I can say right now about this show. I like the sets, locations, costumes and overall production values. 

For awhile I thought this season was back to being the show I thought was fascinating and worthy of discussion, but I think I only keep watching because it's hard for me to quit a show if I really loved it once upon a time. 

Aside from Maeve, Bernard and maybe William (not so much because I like William but because I think Harris is great in everything), I really don't care much what happens to these characters. Also, the violence with these hosts feels so repetitive and pointless. I feel like there aren't any real stakes involved. 

Are they really going to do another season of this mess of a show?

• Love 2

I'm still enjoying the show for the most part, mostly because the fabulous cast make the characters compelling.  Mostly.  But the writing has turned it into a somewhat pedestrian sci fi show.  It's not very original. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

Are they really going to do another season of this mess of a show?

Maeve takes over, frees humans and hosts, rules over a new utopia, colonizes Mars....

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2

Well, it’s been noted by a more careful viewer than me that during a part of Caleb’s escape, he passes by the same floor number sign and location (with different decorations) as the office where Christina works… so I think the third timeline is confirmed.

My hunch is now that Hale is going to suicide herself in the middle timeline because what Caleb said is going to stick with her, but first she recreates original-recipe Dolores as Christina to be a successor in maintaining the narratives only unaware of her true nature. The various people she’s seen, from the homeless man screaming about the tower to the man who killed himself are either memories (Hale being basically her own subconscious) or people she has subconsciously caused to replay those memories (it’s possible that Teddy is just some random guy she’s made act like Teddy and she’s subconsciously projecting Teddy’s image into the space.

It feels like this needs a lot more than two episodes unless they really do intend this season to be a cliffhanger.

• Useful 1
On 8/1/2022 at 1:53 PM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Which makes me take any complaints I read on this site with a grain of salt.

This place and it's previous iterations have a shit ton of people who think psycho doichebag Logan Echolls was the bestest perfectest match for Veronica Mars, so you never know.

This ep dragged for me because it barely moved the plot along, and there are only 2 hours left in the season.

I don't mind Caleb the character, but the Christian Bale as Batman impression needs to go.

• Like 2

I am still mostly enjoying the season, mostly because of the actors and I do think like the ideas they seem to be playing with, but its sad that the show has become a rather generic science fiction robot show. I have been forgiving of this season, but I feel like its been getting more dull as the season goes on. It seems like when the show doesn't have a twist or a puzzle, it isn't sure what to do when its just telling a linear story. Of course, I've thought that to an extent since season one, back when the show was much watch television. It likes its magic tricks but isn't all that sure what to do when its pulled its rabbit out of the hat.

I will say that, while Caleb trying to get back to his daughter is a less interesting version of Maeve trying to find her robot daughter, I am still invested in him and Frankie. Its a cliché motivation, but a good one, trying to find a lost child/parent.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2

I have to read three different Westworld discussion forums to half-way understand what's happening on this show. One forum tends to have takes on each episode which are 180 degrees different from what I see here. It doesn't bother me because I'm okay with looking at the show in different ways. If there's anything I'd criticize this site about, it's how often opinions are expressed as facts. But at least we're not still in the TWoP world where not falling in with the party line, i.e., the general opinion deemed The Truth, could get you banned.

So, I got no problem with Caleb. I'm a fan of Aaron Paul's from his Breaking Bad days. The character I've grown tired of is Hale, Delores, Halores, whatever. To me she's like a James Bond villain: so much talking instead of just getting on with it. Fabulous wardrobe though.

• Like 1

I do miss the original premise. Like it would be interest to see what people did in a gangster mob theme world or a medieval themeorld. I don’t believe eve try one secretly wants to rape and murder. I know I don’t. I find that particular trope to be really lazy writing. A world where I hurt people is more something I daydream about for a second.

id love to go to for example Room with a view world. Beautiful dressss and manners. Or visit revolutionary war world. 

i agree this show is not what it set out to be. It hasn’t been for a long time. The whole bath or of the intelligences and what is consciousness is not all that interesting since ar the end of the day I have no faith the writers can convince me they know (and apropos of nothing the drones aren’t scary the suits make me laugh).

a world that explores peoples fantasies would be more creative and harder to do. And don’t say fantasy island which became rather lazy romance writing. It’s like that Shore Leave episode of Star Trek where desires manifest for good or bad. I could watch hours of that.

wesf world though is kind of a hot mess.

• Love 1

Before I forget, another Doctor Who parallel: Caleb's struggle in this episode reminded me a lot of the Doctor's in "Heaven Sent", the penultimate episode of Series 9, and the fable he talked about:

The Doctor:  I'm going to get out of here and find whoever put me here in the first place. And whatever they're trying to do, I'm going to stop it! We might take a little while, so do you want me to tell you a story? The Brothers Grimm - lovely fellows, they're on my darts team. According to them, there was this emperor, and he asks this shepherd's boy, "How many seconds in eternity?" And the shepherd's boy says, "There's this mountain of pure diamond. It takes an hour to climb it, and an hour to go around it! Every hundred years, a little bird comes and sharpens its beak on the diamond mountain. And when the entire mountain is chiselled away, the first second of eternity will have passed!" You must think that's a hell of a long time...

[4.5 billion years pass] 

The Doctor: ...Personally, I think that's a hell of a bird!

[the latest transporter copy of the Doctor finally succeeds in breaking the wall that trillions of his doomed former selves have chipped away at and escaping]

haaaaaaa, finally an explanation for the brain copying! I knew "observing the choices they made in Westworld" or whatever they said in s2 didn't make sense. A brain copier hidden inside the hats does.

Given that horses and wolves were hosts back in the original Delos park, there really was no need for Halores to make her drones so humanoid, and esp that they only see out of the front of their blank faces. They don't even have visible eyes! Give them 360 degree vision!

Host Caleb is basically "save scumming", though instead of perfect knowledge of each of his previous attempts at this "game" -- which BTW strongly indicates that this is a challenge Halores has set up rather than a real prison break -- he has to guess what to do next based on hand prints his previous versions have left. (Do Halores & co clean away the hand prints and old bodies of the paths they don't want Caleb to follow?) ... Ah, so I was right. Halores could have gotten this done a lot faster in real world time if she put Caleb in a simulation and had sim Caleb run the gauntlet a few dozen times. Plus it wouldn't have had any chance of sending a radio transmission out to real world Frankie. This plan made no sense.

Why have the outliers been using cars when they had a quadcopter flying car available? (or even if they stole it, why would they take it all the way back to their hideout instead of ditching it back in the city?)

My first thought about the imposter problem the outliers have is that they should run everyone by the mirror scanner upstairs. Presumably Delos never wanted those things to scan hosts, so that should do it right there. Unless the imposter was just hit with a booster dose of black fly brain goo rather than replaced with a host.

OK, so Jay was replaced. Seems reckless for Halores to have done that without a brain scan of Jay for fidelity. Or did they? He said Frankie was always talking about her dad, but then if host Jay knew all that, why would he get the dynamic between Frankie and real Jay so wrong?

On 8/1/2022 at 8:30 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Figured early on that Daniel Wu was going to be the mole, but I was disappointed that the twist didn't lead to him getting to finally show off his fighting skills here.

Esp considering the flashback where Jay was rescued heavily invoked the Matrix!

On 8/3/2022 at 11:14 AM, LoveLeigh said:

What happened to the original premise of visitors going to theme parks where they lived out their fantasies with robots programmed for that purpose?

This is how that premise has unfolded! As I understand it, the 1970s movie was about robots running amuck, and then this show decided to start by showing why they ran amuck. The whole point was that the park was incredibly morally unjust, and the hosts-vs-humans war has very logically followed out of that. If anything, s3 was a pointless diversion, putting a third faction in the mix: hosts vs humans vs an infallible supercomputer.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, arc said:

haaaaaaa, finally an explanation for the brain copying! I knew "observing the choices they made in Westworld" or whatever they said in s2 didn't make sense. A brain copier hidden inside the hats does.

They did establish in Season 1 or 2 that there were brain scanners in the headwear.

2 hours ago, arc said:

Given that horses and wolves were hosts back in the original Delos park, there really was no need for Halores to make her drones so humanoid, and esp that they only see out of the front of their blank faces. They don't even have visible eyes! Give them 360 degree vision!

They have 360 degree vision, yes? A drone was able to see from behind that one of the rebels reacted to the fly in their eye in the flashback about Jay.

If people really daydreamed about committing crimes and hurting people, more of our fiction would be about that. Instead we crave happy endings. The horror genre is tiny, compared to literature and film in total, and even in horror there’s often one person who escapes the zombies etc. it’s rare as heck for literature to seriously look through the eyes of the psycho (not never just rare).  Heck even the series itself is not really about how much fun it is to hurt people, quite the opposite. So the whole thing is kind of a mind f@@k. Because it has nothing to do with actual human beings at all. 

Which is why I think there’s still a series to be made out of the original promise, whatever you think of this series, It wander far away from his premise tricking people into thinking it’s about the nature of humanity in consciousness, when in fact it’s  Clear if you think about it that human beings who crave Mayham and would love to kill it rape if they could get away with it really have nothing in common with most human beings whatsoever.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

They have 360 degree vision, yes? A drone was able to see from behind that one of the rebels reacted to the fly in their eye in the flashback about Jay.

Ah true. Caleb's escape was all a giant game Halores set out for him so I guess the drones were just playing dumb.

1 hour ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

And yet, there are video games for those things. But those aren't the only thing people did in Westworld and the other parks.

Part of the impetus for Westworld the show is because the creators were interested in how gamers could be when playing a single-player game with nearly endless license to go on a rampage. From 2016:

But the Nolans are fascinated by the way that people can use games to explore violent fantasies that might be completely at odds with their everyday personalities. This behavior finds its logical extreme in the Man in Black (Ed Harris). “It really speaks to the game-like aspect of it,” said Jonathan Nolan.

“The way that we act in our simulations is not [...] how we act in the real world,” Jonathan Nolan said of Harris’ character. “That binary aspect of his personality is something we’re exploring.”

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, arc said:

Part of the impetus for Westworld the show is because the creators were interested in how gamers could be when playing a single-player game with nearly endless license to go on a rampage. From 2016:

Examination of the tendency to diverge from one’s customary public persona when presented with the opportunity to act out in a consequence-free environment was what initially attracted me to the show - well, that plus a certain fondness for the original 1973 movie. 😁

My father passed away a few years ago without ever having seen a single episode, but something he used to say addresses this question  perfectly: “Reputation is how everybody sees you act; integrity is how you act when nobody’s watching.” 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Examination of the tendency to diverge from one’s customary public persona when presented with the opportunity to act out in a consequence-free environment was what initially attracted me to the show - well, that plus a certain fondness for the original 1973 movie. 😁

Same.

There is some indication that not every person that went into to the parks did so in order to live out immoral fantasy but it did seem to end up being Delos's primary service.  And I can see how the non-exploitive simulations/programs would not have been as lucrative. The pure economics and motivations of it would encourage Westworld to be a niche service allowing very wealthy people to pay a premium to have truly consequence free experiences as an entirely different persona. 

Anything else would be just a very catered vacation. The wealthy could get that for a lot cheaper than what people would pay for the deviant options. Overtime, I would expect the purely benign stories phased out.  

As a result, the hosts almost exclusively experienced the worst of humanity. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, RachelKM said:

There is some indication that not every person that went into to the parks did so in order to live out immoral fantasy

Some, perhaps many, of them went there to play "white hat" cowboys and rescue townsfolk from desperados, but unfortunately that also entails violence towards Hosts and trapping them in narratives they didn't write.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:59 AM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

And yet, there are video games for those things. But those aren't the only thing people did in Westworld and the other parks.

Anyway, it strikes me that it's appropriate Frankie's actor is named Aurora and her girlfriend Odina's actor is named Morningstar.

And most people don’t play the video games. I haven’t. Neither has anyone I know over the age of 50. Yet we’ve all read books and watched TV. Again: do some people crave violence for its own sake? Sure. But the notion that MOST people do is preposterous.

what else did people go to the parks for? We were never shown that. Only the violent side. I think a lot more stories could have been- could still be- told using the various type of worlds. 

On 8/9/2022 at 9:28 PM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Some, perhaps many, of them went there to play "white hat" cowboys and rescue townsfolk from desperados, but unfortunately that also entails violence towards Hosts and trapping them in narratives they didn't write.

Did we ever see that? Cuz I sure don’t remember ever seeing it.

seems to me human beings are more than capable of finding ways to reenact different worlds without robots, anyway. See renaissance fairs and civil war reenactors.

On 8/9/2022 at 2:27 AM, arc said:

Ah true. Caleb's escape was all a giant game Halores set out for him so I guess the drones were just playing dumb.

This explains so much.

they todrgot gamers =/= humanity. And explains why I’m ultimately disappointed and bored. 
to imagine gamers want to enact their games is about as stupid as thinking people who play sex games want to be hurt/raped/tied up in real life. They 100 percent do not.

there’s no binary here whatsoever.

• Love 1

I like Caleb as a counterpoint to all the older characters. He tells Hale, and us, the truth.

Westworld has become very Twins Peaks-ish. A challenge to know what is real, what is in the sublime, what is new and what has happened many times before. At least now we know the stakes.

Found this ep useful, but slow. We made some progress, which is good. 

On 8/3/2022 at 8:14 PM, LoveLeigh said:

What happened to the original premise of visitors going to theme parks where they lived out their fantasies with robots programmed for that purpose?

It ran its course. This was never the premise of the show entire, only of the first two seasons.

The premise of the show is the constant struggle between control and freedom. Also the dynamics of human/AI interaction.

The first two seasons where the first iteration of that theme, Rehoboam in season 3 and the war that followed between seasons where the second. Now we're on iteration number three with Hale's Empire of Flies.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1