Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E19: Three Ring Circus

• Start Topic

I would totally let Baby Yoda in a Tutu be my flower girl.

Entirely too much screaming in the first three minutes.

If I were Darlene and Ben I'd just elope and not tell anyone after all that. 

"Wait a minute...you're accusing me of stealing your beer, but you're not accusing me of stealing your chicken? That's interesting."

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I would totally let Baby Yoda in a Tutu be my flower girl.

Same :D! I liked that idea! 

Missed some of the episode here and there due to storm coverage on our local ABC station, but suffice to say I'm with everyone in thinking Harris and Aldo shouldn't get married. But I'm also not surprised she'd go ahead with it - she's following a family history, as noted, and everyone else is rushing into their marriages, so it makes sense she'd feel the urge to do the same. 

Leave it to Dan to be the one to call Darlene out on her planned marriage to Ben. I liked Dan guilt-tripping him, but yeah, three weddings all at once is...a lot. 

• Love 5

That opening scene went from 0 to 100 real quick, didn't it?

I have no real investment in Ben & Darlene, but if they wanted to elope, they had every damn right to do that, and not to involve themselves in whatever monstrosity Neville & Jackie/Aldo & Harris are getting into.

I appreciated the call back to how young Becky was when she eloped with Mark, including the concern about pushing Harris away--that is EXACTLY why Roseanne didn't fight Becky & Mark's marriage all that hard; she didn't want her to stop talking to them over their objections.

YAY Joe Walsh is back! :D 

• Love 10

"Marriage mass hysteria" indeed.

I like that at least everyone agreed Harris carrying on the family tradition of getting married way too young was a particularly big mistake in this situation, but it's just missing the heart of the original series.  Darlene saying she can't stop her, and will ruin their relationship if she tries, has nothing on Roseanne's resignation that if they try to undo Becky and Mark's marriage (since she wasn't quite 18), she's just going to run off and do it again in a few months, only that way they never see her again, not to mention one of Dan's greatest moments, his anguished prediction "She's going to get pregnant, she's going to forget all about school -- this is it, this is her life!" 

Aldo's dad telling Harris "My son is a man baby who will ruin your life if you stay with him" and telling Aldo he thinks this, like everything about his life, is ridiculous, but he supports him, doesn't come close.

I think Harris will come to her senses at the last minute, especially because of Aldo's baby bullshit, but we'll see.

"I don't want the universe to think I'm narrow minded" when Dan points out Darlene bought a woman's wedding band as well as a man's was well delivered.

• Love 11

Not going to watch don’t give care about the show but can I at least point out at least Becky and Mark were close in age, cared about and loved each other to get married, Mark was hard working, they were safe with not getting pregnant till they decided they wanted to try to start a family, and both were way more mature than Harris and Aldo the man child combined.

and apparently from what I have read Darlene isn’t the one to give Harris advice not even a sit down, like hello Darlene and David’s reason to get married was practically because of Darlene’s pregnancy.  Now she’s kind of technically watching history play out in front of her . 

and at least the Healy brothers were more mature than aldo ever could be

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

So Aldo has two kids but still doesn't actually know what a uterus is?

….,your kidding right….god wtf he is a total idiot. OG Mark in the later seasons wasn’t Aldo stupid. Sure they dumbed him down but he was still observant and had his wits.

Using a reference from the original for comparison OG Mark would find a way out of the woods and Aldo would probably crawl into a log and die

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Love 3

Yeah, everyone agreeing that Harris and Aldo should not get married was the episode's very small saving grace. But the writing for both was horrible, Aldo was dumbed down ever further so that his IQ is getting closer and closer to Srg-A* (too many news feeds). And Harris shrieking and hugging Jackie after Neville's proposal was so OOC she might as well had personality transplant. His kids who are on their way to juvie have long stopped being the comic relief the writers think they are.

I wish Ben and Darlene had gone through with their plan. Dan himself called Darlene putting her family first as the main problem of their relationship (debatable) and then proceeds to guilt-trip her into exactly that dysfunctional pattern again. I don't see anything sweet in that. 

Jackie or rather the writing for her has become so unhinged that I just tune out when she opens her mouth.

• Love 15

Harris seems far too smart to want to marry someone as dumb as Aldo. I mean, he's absurdly stupid. And when did she move in with him? Last thing we saw, she was living in Dan's trailer in the back yard.

It pissed me off that Dan strong-armed Ben and Darlene out of eloping. That seemed like the sensible plan to me.

I did get a kick out of Dan finding them alone in the kitchen and his reaction to their explanation about stealing a chair. 

• Love 9

I did like Louise sharing her perspective of marriage to Harris as someone who was a LOT older when she finally did it herself. As a woman who has not exactly been "on time" with society's perceived timeline with a lot of so-called personal AND professional milestones and what I'm "supposed" to have done in my life by now (I'm 33, for what it's worth, so not THAT old, but still), I appreciated that and liked to hear that coming from her. 

• Love 12

Aldo is definitely a Peter Pan type of guy that never wants to truly grow up. Proposing to Harris just because Neville proposed to Jackie is as short sighted as it gets. And Harris’ reaction to the baby stuff speaks for itself. But it’s a wonder Aldo’s not even more screwed up, looking at his father, who’s okay calling him a total failure in life to his face and bumming stuff off of everyone.

I actually found it very humorous how Dan was guilt-tripping Ben and Darlene to be part of the multiple weddings.

• Love 6

A missed opportunity for Darlene to point out that last time Dan attended her wedding, it ended with him in an ambulance. (I'm sure the writers forgot about that pivotal moment, despite it split the remaining time of the show into the did he/didn't he actually die universe.)

Wacky Jackie was in full force and it hurt my ears. OG Jackie would have enjoyed getting engaged/married, but would never have shrieked like a 12 year old at a Taylor Swift concert.

The beer/chicken bit was actually funny, which is in short supply lately with this short.

• Love 8

I’ve decided to watch this show through the same lens as when I’m watching an animated sitcom. On The Simpsons, “Marge starts a cosmetics business“ does not mean that Marge will be selling cosmetics for the next 2+ seasons. It means things will go hilariously wrong, and by the end of the episode, she will quit the cosmetics gig with no noticeable dent in her or the family’s finances. On American Dad, “Stan gets fired“ does not mean he’ll have to move his family to Virginia and pump gas for a living. He’ll launch some ridiculous scheme, and get his job back by the end of the episode. So it will go with the contrabassoon and building the house.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4

The writing on this show is so awful that I felt like turning the program off after Jackie's shrieking during the opening sequence.  The Conners pales in comparison to the original Roseanne, where I could empathize with the major characters and there were plenty of laugh out loud moments.  The Roseanne reruns are shown almost daily by  my cable provider and I just viewed the episodes where Dan's father was secretly dating Crystal and then she announced to Jackie and Roseanne that she was pregnant.  I totally understood Dan's fury at his dad, as well as Roseanne's need to support her close friend Crystal despite the huge age discrepancy between Ed/Crystal and their complicated marital history. My point is that in a single episode there were a gamut of emotions portrayed, fantastic acting by the leads, and crisp writing that made me really care about the fate of the Conner family members.  What happened to this show???  Every plot on the current program seems contrived and not in keeping with the personalities of the characters I have grown to love.  I really don't know how much longer I can tolerate this nonsense that passes for situation comedy.

• Love 12

Agreed that this show is totally dumbed down and unbelievable.  First of all, why do they think the viewers even care about Harris?  This character has zero redeeming qualities.   Nobody cares if Harris has a kid with her loser boyfriend, and if they did the kid would be living at Dan's too.   It's like they really believe that the audience is waiting with baited breath about whether Harris will do this or not.  Also, why not make the Aldo character at least remotely attractive or have a decent personality or something  to explain why a 20 year old girl would be so gung ho to deal with his weird kids and want to marry him.  I feel like they really think Harris and Aldo are the new Becky and Mark except Becky was smart, had goals, fell for her good looking boyfriend who was her own age, etc.  Even though they didn't have that much in common it was a LOT more believable. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, lexiexx said:

Agreed that this show is totally dumbed down and unbelievable.  First of all, why do they think the viewers even care about Harris?  This character has zero redeeming qualities.   Nobody cares if Harris has a kid with her loser boyfriend, and if they did the kid would be living at Dan's too.   It's like they really believe that the audience is waiting with baited breath about whether Harris will do this or not.  Also, why not make the Aldo character at least remotely attractive or have a decent personality or something  to explain why a 20 year old girl would be so gung ho to deal with his weird kids and want to marry him.  I feel like they really think Harris and Aldo are the new Becky and Mark except Becky was smart, had goals, fell for her good looking boyfriend who was her own age, etc.  Even though they didn't have that much in common it was a LOT more believable. 

They didn’t need to have everything in common to be a couple (in general couples don’t need to have everything in common if there is a spark there is a spark)but they very much were a believable couple. (Glenn and Lecy really were able to sell them as a couple because of chemistry they had)  Mark had qualities, aside from his looks talented mechanic, lived on his own for three years since the age of 16, hard work ethic, reserved and observant, street smart, respectful and knew boundaries.

while Aldo can’t come even close to Mark, he has no boundaries. Immediately calling Jackie and Neville aunt and uncle was just no. Is an idiot, creepy kids who are on their way to being criminals apparently. 

comparing Becky and mark to Harris and aldo just seems like an insult to the original.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/11/2022 at 9:57 PM, srpturtle80 said:

WTF was that???

On 5/12/2022 at 12:32 AM, Bastet said:

"Marriage mass hysteria" indeed.

I like that at least everyone agreed Harris carrying on the family tradition of getting married way too young was a particularly big mistake in this situation, but it's just missing the heart of the original series.  Darlene saying she can't stop her, and will ruin their relationship if she tries, has nothing on Roseanne's resignation that if they try to undo Becky and Mark's marriage (since she wasn't quite 18), she's just going to run off and do it again in a few months, only that way they never see her again, not to mention one of Dan's greatest moments, his anguished prediction "She's going to get pregnant, she's going to forget all about school -- this is it, this is her life!" 

Aldo's dad telling Harris "My son is a man baby who will ruin your life if you stay with him" and telling Aldo he thinks this, like everything about his life, is ridiculous, but he supports him, doesn't come close.

I think Harris will come to her senses at the last minute, especially because of Aldo's baby bullshit, but we'll see.

"I don't want the universe to think I'm narrow minded" when Dan points out Darlene bought a woman's wedding band as well as a man's was well delivered.

On 5/12/2022 at 12:58 AM, Rocknrollzombie said:

Not going to watch don’t give care about the show but can I at least point out at least Becky and Mark were close in age, cared about and loved each other to get married, Mark was hard working, they were safe with not getting pregnant till they decided they wanted to try to start a family, and both were way more mature than Harris and Aldo the man child combined.

and apparently from what I have read Darlene isn’t the one to give Harris advice not even a sit down, like hello Darlene and David’s reason to get married was practically because of Darlene’s pregnancy.  Now she’s kind of technically watching history play out in front of her . 

and at least the Healy brothers were more mature than aldo ever could be

On 5/12/2022 at 8:17 AM, ams1001 said:

So Aldo has two kids but still doesn't actually know what a uterus is?

On 5/12/2022 at 10:48 AM, Rocknrollzombie said:

….,your kidding right….god wtf he is a total idiot. OG Mark in the later seasons wasn’t Aldo stupid. Sure they dumbed him down but he was still observant and had his wits.

Using a reference from the original for comparison OG Mark would find a way out of the woods and Aldo would probably crawl into a log and die

On 5/12/2022 at 10:58 AM, MissLucas said:

Yeah, everyone agreeing that Harris and Aldo should not get married was the episode's very small saving grace. But the writing for both was horrible, Aldo was dumbed down ever further so that his IQ is getting closer and closer to Srg-A* (too many news feeds). And Harris shrieking and hugging Jackie after Neville's proposal was so OOC she might as well had personality transplant. His kids who are on their way to juvie have long stopped being the comic relief the writers think they are.

I wish Ben and Darlene had gone through with their plan. Dan himself called Darlene putting her family first as the main problem of their relationship (debatable) and then proceeds to guilt-trip her into exactly that dysfunctional pattern again. I don't see anything sweet in that. 

Jackie or rather the writing for her has become so unhinged that I just tune out when she opens her mouth.

On 5/12/2022 at 11:07 AM, iMonrey said:

Harris seems far too smart to want to marry someone as dumb as Aldo. I mean, he's absurdly stupid. And when did she move in with him? Last thing we saw, she was living in Dan's trailer in the back yard.

It pissed me off that Dan strong-armed Ben and Darlene out of eloping. That seemed like the sensible plan to me.

I did get a kick out of Dan finding them alone in the kitchen and his reaction to their explanation about stealing a chair. 

The actor who plays Aldo also plays a sex slave to a closeted gay man on the HBO series The Righteous Gemstones.

That character is ironically a lot smarter than Aldo.

You could understand why Becky would not want to lose Mark. 

I feel like Harris wants to be with Aldo because her other option is being homeless. If you just started watching this show, you would never even realize that Darlene is her mother.

I understand that Harris is an adult but why is it on Aunt Becky and Aldo’s dad to tell Harris that this is a bad idea?

It’s like Darlene has forgotten that she even has kids. In the original, I always felt that Roseanne cared about Becky, even if she did not annul her marriage.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 5
(edited)

I don’t think it’s wrong that Dan told Darlene she should tell people about her engagement, although instead of the guilt thing he should have mentioned her children.  I know Mark goes missing every other week and Darlene is a crappy parent but I think it’s doubly crappy to elope with the guy you broke up with and just keep that from your children especially a minor who presumably would be living with her. So would Ben and Darlene just elope and hide their marriage forever.  It’s so stupid.  I could even see them saying let’s wait to tell everyone when Mark gets home from wherever the hell he is.

I get Mark likes Ben but theoretically, Darlene’s marriage would affect Mark the most although Ben’s probably the most stable adult in his life, but he’ll probably go down hill being married to Darlene.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 9

Darlene is your typical bad parent who has the mindset that she’s doing the best she can.   Harris has needed to see a psychologist since episode one and all she’s done for mark is this stupid play  the contrabassoon to go to college for free idea.   I get that it’s supposed to be this big clever way in on this show but come on. 
i also thought it was stupid that they had the idea to compare Becky’s life as someone who got married early with Louise who got married later in life to try and steer Harris in the right direction.  Louise is pretty much in the same position as Becky except her husband is a doormat with a bunch of grown kids taking over the house.  You could argue that Becky has it better than Louise at this point because she could take her one kid and move on whereas Louise’s husband will be having those kids and grandkids sucking the life out of him till the end.   They want us to think Dan is some prize when most women would run away from that lifestyle like their hair was on fire.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 6

I don’t think it’s wrong that Dan told Darlene she should tell people about her engagement, although instead of the guilt thing he should have mentioned her children.  I know Mark goes missing every other week and Darlene is a crappy parent but I think it’s doubly crappy to elope with the guy you broke up with and just keep that from your children especially a minor who presumably would be living with her. So would Ben and Darlene just elope and hide their marriage forever.  It’s so stupid.  I could even see them saying let’s wait to tell everyone when Mark gets home from wherever the hell he is.

I don't know. I think it's probably a lot smarter to avoid the chaos and insanity that would ensue if the Wacky Conner Family™ were involved in their wedding. I can't remember if Ben has ever been married before but this is Darlene's second marriage. A quiet ceremony with just the two of them seems pretty appealing when you consider the alternative they're being offered. Harris is 20 and Mark is in high school, I don't think this is going to scar them for life or anything. They might be disappointed (well, Mark might be, anyway) but he's old enough to understand why they did it that way.

• Love 5

I can see it now: they have a big wedding and Mark will be playing Pachelbel's Canon in D Major on the contrabassoon... until the sound gets smothered by butterflies flying into the contrabassoon's bell, going all Lemmings in view of the craziness.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Dan made the alternative: Darlene and Ben elope without the family or they join the ridiculous triple wedding ceremony.  There is no reason it has to be an either/or situation.  If they want a small ceremony with the justice of the peace and a few family members, do it!  No reason they have to join in the craziness.

• Love 11
(edited)
On 5/13/2022 at 1:06 PM, qtpye said:

The actor who plays Aldo also plays a sex slave to a closeted gay man on the HBO series The Righteous Gemstones.

That character is ironically a lot smarter than Aldo.

You could understand why Becky would not want to lose Mark. 

I feel like Harris wants to be with Aldo because her other option is being homeless. If you just started watching this show, you would never even realize that Darlene is her mother.

I understand that Harris is an adult but why is it on Aunt Becky and Aldo’s dad to tell Harris that this is a bad idea?

It’s like Darlene has forgotten that she even has kids. In the original, I always felt that Roseanne cared about Becky, even if she did not annul her marriage.

If Darlene tells Harris not to marry Aldo Harris will only double down and go forward, it is actually something that happens in real life. Harris has shown before that she defies Darlene, Darlene is just hoping to keep the lines of communication open for when it all turns to crap and Harris needs help getting out. She doesn't want the I told you so factor to stop Darlene from admitting she messed up or might mess up.  I think we all know Harris will not marry Aldo, not all 3 weddings will happen. I liked the idea of Louise and Becky talking to Darlene but it was handled poorly, they should have done it one on one and not in a bar ambush style.

I feel like they may have known the show might not be renewed so they tried to wrap up some stories in a nice package with houses, marriages and hope for college. I'm guessing Harris realizes she wants more in life and vows to start fresh, if so I would be happy with that.

I really hate wacky Jackie but I do hope they grant her a happy marriage and good partner despite her betrothed bring nothing to the table. Ben is far better than Darlene as a human being but I guess he loves her. He can bring stability to the whole family.

If they do get another season I hope they do better. I was so excited for this reboot, we all were. We've all done stupid things but to have these people to continue on making the same mistakes isn't realistic. Or, maybe it is but it's just not what we want to watch.  As I have said before, give us and them some small wins that aren't joined with buffoonery.

If they are ending give Jackie a good restaurant idea, make it work finally. Let Darlene see the funeral home as it stands is a great buy and will take enough work as it is. She and Ben can have a blast fixing it up and she can use any money saved to help Harris and Mark reach their goals. Let Becky keep going, I think she's doing good even though I have no idea how she's paying for her education but it seems like she's on track to elevate her child's future. Let Dan and Louise have a good life, if the kids move out maybe they can sell the house and move into her condo. I have no idea where the heck DJ is but send his wife home and have his job going great, maybe his wife settles into a new job as a civilian.

Not everything can be fixed overnight. They won't jump out of poverty into wealth immediately, it can be still be funny as they climb and struggle to get out from under. If the reboot had started with at least one child like DJ for example doing OK it would have read better. Instead some 25-30 years later nothing has changed. I realize there are real families like this where no one does better than just above poverty level, but it's not what I want to see. Maybe that speaks to me as a person but when I am looking for a lighthearted comedy I want to laugh and feel hope. Life in the real world is difficult enough, I don't want to tune in and feel sad Harris is living in a moldy trailer and marrying a man without one brain cell she could not have possible have fell in love with in the real world.  What could they talk about?

The original show dealt with lower middle class issues and the daily struggles of life, but it made me laugh and there was hope. Not every episode was focused on something so do or die. The reboot feels tiring and I wonder if it's my age or that I just had too much hope. What happened to the funny episodes that were interspersed? The Halloween & holiday episodes, kissing boys, dresses more important than shoes, farting in class, DJ being a little weirdo, Jackie's theater, the hair salon episodes etc. Again, I think I am to blame because I wanted something back and they aren't bringing it, but it wasn't my idea to do so. I was just a hopeful viewer so that's on me. And I think we'd all be better writers, LOL!

Sorry for bad grammar and spelling, not loving show so not spending time.

Edited by CapeCodLuv
  • Love 6

I guess I'm alone in thinking Jackie's reaction at the beginning of the episode was the highlight of the whole episode. Took me a while to stop laughing. (But Goodman and Metcalfe are the main reason I watch this.) Darlene explaining why she bought the wedding rings was another hilarious moment--and it feels very rare to get one of those in a single episode of this spinoff, much less two in one show.

• Love 8

I thought this multiple wedding bs would lead to a series finale, putting an end to this failing show. But I guess they're doing a season 5, so no. Instead it looks like at least one of the marriages won't go through (Harris & dummy Aldo). I have a soft spot for Stan Ben, and I'm not sure any of the marriages will happen, but I kind of hope theirs does. I laughed out loud a few times in this episode. Darlene wasn't as much of a sourpuss as usual. 

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, CapeCodLuv said:

I feel like they may have known the show might not be renewed so they tried to wrap up some stories in a nice package with houses, marriages and hope for college. I'm guessing Harris realizes she wants more in life and vows to start fresh, if so I would be happy with that.

I really hate wacky Jackie but I do hope they grant her a happy marriage and good partner despite her betrothed bring nothing to the table. Ben is far better than Darlene as a human being but I guess he loves her. He can bring stability to the whole family.

If they do get another season I hope they do better. I was so excited for this reboot, we all were. We've all done stupid things but to have these people to continue on making the same mistakes isn't realistic. Or, maybe it is but it's just not what we want to watch.  As I have said before, give us and them some small wins that aren't joined with buffoonery.

If they are ending give Jackie a good restaurant idea, make it work finally. Let Darlene see the funeral home as it stands is a great buy and will take enough work as it is. She and Ben can have a blast fixing it up and she can use any money saved to help Harris and Mark reach their goals. Let Becky keep going, I think she's doing good even though I have no idea how she's paying for her education but it seems like she's on track to elevate her child's future. Let Dan and Louise have a good life, if the kids move out maybe they can sell the house and move into her condo. I have no idea where the heck DJ is but send his wife home and have his job going great, maybe his wife settles into a new job as a civilian.

Not everything can be fixed overnight. They won't jump out of poverty into wealth immediately, it can be still be funny as they climb and struggle to get out from under. If the reboot had started with at least one child like DJ for example doing OK it would have read better. Instead some 25-30 years later nothing has changed. I realize there are real families like this where no one does better than just above poverty level, but it's not what I want to see. Maybe that speaks to me as a person but when I am looking for a lighthearted comedy I want to laugh and feel hope. Life in the real world is difficult enough, I don't want to tune in and feel sad Harris is living in a moldy trailer and marrying a man without one brain cell she could not have possible have fell in love with in the real world.  What could they talk about?

The original show dealt with lower middle class issues and the daily struggles of life, but it made me laugh and there was hope. Not every episode was focused on something so do or die. The reboot feels tiring and I wonder if it's my age or that I just had too much hope. What happened to the funny episodes that were interspersed? The Halloween & holiday episodes, kissing boys, dresses more important than shoes, farting in class, DJ being a little weirdo, Jackie's theater, the hair salon episodes etc. Again, I think I am to blame because I wanted something back and they aren't bringing it, but it wasn't my idea to do so. I was just a hopeful viewer so that's on me. And I think we'd all be better writers, LOL!

Sorry for bad grammar and spelling, not loving show so not spending time.

I’m sure a lot of us were hopeful viewers at one point for this show, I bowed out at Season 3, some dropped it even before that season, others are dropping it after this season.

The reboot is tiring and don’t worry about your age being a factor, I’m 23 and just got tired of this show. The thing I loved about the original is that even if they had hard times they all always stuck it out together. 

Like for me what made me feel connected to the original show was well og mark because he reminded me so much of my brothers and how my brothers are. No high level education but doing his best to provide for his wife. Like my brothers neither finished school one didn’t finish high school and the other never went past middle school. But they used the skills that they have and have jobs. One is in the union for his field of work and the other is basically his own boss since he has a small construction company to provide for their families.

As for me I work in warehouse Monday -Friday, Saturdays sometimes as well. My co-workers ask me why I am working in a warehouse I’m young I Have skills that  they don’t. I told them I don’t care if I work in a warehouse I’m making money, I can help my parents out that is all I want.

like that drive that the original had that push on through what life throws at you. Yeah that is gone replaced by misery and self wallowing 24/7.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't know. I think it's probably a lot smarter to avoid the chaos and insanity that would ensue if the Wacky Conner Family™ were involved in their wedding. I can't remember if Ben has ever been married before but this is Darlene's second marriage. A quiet ceremony with just the two of them seems pretty appealing when you consider the alternative they're being offered. Harris is 20 and Mark is in high school, I don't think this is going to scar them for life or anything. They might be disappointed (well, Mark might be, anyway) but he's old enough to understand why they did it that way.

I don’t think they needed to be part of the 3 ring circus event but still should tell her kids before getting married.  I think it’d be normal to have their own wedding, but think it’s odd to come home and tell her minor recently drug-addicted child she got married to someone he thought she couldn’t stand up 5 minutes before getting engaged.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

I’m sure a lot of us were hopeful viewers at one point for this show, I bowed out at Season 3, some dropped it even before that season, others are dropping it after this season.

The reboot is tiring and don’t worry about your age being a factor, I’m 23 and just got tired of this show. The thing I loved about the original is that even if they had hard times they all always stuck it out together. 

Like for me what made me feel connected to the original show was well og mark because he reminded me so much of my brothers and how my brothers are. No high level education but doing his best to provide for his wife. Like my brothers neither finished school one didn’t finish high school and the other never went past middle school. But they used the skills that they have and have jobs. One is in the union for his field of work and the other is basically his own boss since he has a small construction company to provide for their families.

As for me I work in warehouse Monday -Friday, Saturdays sometimes as well. My co-workers ask me why I am working in a warehouse I’m young I Have skills that  they don’t. I told them I don’t care if I work in a warehouse I’m making money, I can help my parents out that is all I want.

like that drive that the original had that push on through what life throws at you. Yeah that is gone replaced by misery and self wallowing 24/7.

I am the only one of 6 kids to go to college, I was the youngest. 3 of 4 brothers followed my Dad into auto body work but it was the 70's.  Trade school is the way to go now in my opinion but when I was a kid in the 80's they shoved you to college. I just lucked out. I started as a bank teller after a reasonable amount was paid for college by my parents and now work for a major software company. Kids can't really duplicate my falling into success story anymore, I couldn't have done it without a degree but I have never needed one. They just wanted to see the bit on paper as I rose up the ranks. 2 of my brothers are hugely successful and I am in awe, the other 2 sadly passed away. The oldest was my sister who married and was a special ed assistant after her kids started school. Before that she was a high school graduate and stay at home Mom. Special ed assistant is something that would never be allowed now without a degree.

They chose trades and I think it's the way to go now. No $100K plus student loan debt, the price of my total college education was 15K when I graduated in 1990, board, food, books etc..  If a kid has a huge desire to be something it might be worth the debt but they have to have the desire. It has to be worth the money. I haven't heard Mark or Harris say what they want to be. Gone are the days when I just grabbed an English Lit degree and began working at a software company. It's not worth the money if you don't want to be a nurse like my niece, who has scholarships and financial aid. Kids and their parents have to play it smart. It's so unfair, gone is the dream of the white picket fence. No more 2 kids, young people today cannot even imagine providing all that is needed for children.

There is nothing wrong with working the line if you intend to do it well and move in an upward trajectory. From what we've seen that's not Harris's plan. She;s not going to go to school or grab  job where she can shine. She's just going to marry a moron. Swell. I think they will at least turn this story line around, I doubt they will leave it as Harris is so desperate as to marry a man who cannot form a sentence.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I guess one good thing about Aldo is that he has a house and seems to live independently, though I really do not know how a moron like him is able to do so.

• Love 4

Did Aldo or Harris say Harris is living with Aldo again and during his baby talk did anybody mention the cost of having a baby (I know nobody thinks about that in this family) but what is Aldo’s job?

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Did Aldo or Harris say Harris is living with Aldo again and during his baby talk did anybody mention the cost of having a baby (I know nobody thinks about that in this family) but what is Aldo’s job?

He's a tattoo artist at the shop she works at.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 5/13/2022 at 12:06 PM, qtpye said:

I feel like Harris wants to be with Aldo because her other option is being homeless.

What is Harris doing with her time?  Does she have a job?

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, izabella said:

What is Harris doing with her time?  Does she have a job?

I assumed she was still working at the tattoo shop but who the hell knows...

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

We haven't heard anything about Harris no longer working in the tattoo parlor, so presumably she is still there.  I cannot remember if Aldo owns it or is just one of the artists there.  Harris was hiding out in Dan's trailer, after she wasn't going to live with Aldo but came home to find Darlene had packed her bags (two measly suitcases), but then several episodes later she started to be engaged in a highly protracted process of indeed moving in with Aldo, so she may indeed be there.

The whole relationship is stupid, and I feel fairly confident she'll back out of the triple wedding nonsense (thanks to his baby crap, not because she grasps the totality of the circumstances have always meant she should run like the wind). 

• Love 6

It's kind of funny that the conners think Harris is too good for Aldo.   They're both losers, one is a miserable bitch and the other one is dumb as rocks is the only difference.  Harris herself told Darlene to have fun worrying if she was pregnant when she went off the pill earlier in the season.   Yeah, Aldo is older and should know better but I feel like they're on the same level.   I guess we're supposed to see Harris as a diamond in the rough for no real reason just like the Darlene character.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, lexiexx said:

Harris herself told Darlene to have fun worrying if she was pregnant when she went off the pill earlier in the season.

I forgot about that!  Did she tell Aldo she went off the pill?  If she did, maybe Harris should be a little less indignant about Aldo assuming she'd be fine having a baby right away.  If she didn't, that's unconscionable.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, lexiexx said:

I think it's Darlene who will be pregnant considering that line about how her stomach is bothering her.

Hasn’t the show jumped enough sharks already nope let’s thrown in more magic babies/pregnancies. 

you can just see the writers running out of ideas 

• Love 7
(edited)
14 hours ago, lexiexx said:

Yeah, Aldo is older and should know better but I feel like they're on the same level.

He has children he should be considering.  Harris should, and hopefully will in the next episode, know to run away, but it's going to be on her -- Aldo will be a loser willing to drag someone down with him, even asking her to spew out another kid to solidify the connection.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I don't get what you mean?  I'm saying that Harris and Aldo are on the same level, unlikeable people that have not been shown to have any decent qualities so far.  Also I don't consider Harris a normal level of screwed up, she literally shoved her mother across the room and seems like she has major anger issues alongside of her terrible personality.  Darlene should have also gotten Harris some help when she went to talk to someone about her anxiety that time.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Harris still works at the tattoo shop. In a surprising bit of continuity and character detail we saw her working in her sketchbook during one of the recent episodes.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1

The wedding plots seem to really come outta left field, especially multiple ones.  Besides adding the turmoil of providing for expenses, what is this going to add? Funnier lines? I doubt it.

I wasn't enjoying the episodes, this one crept even lower than the low bar I expected.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, lexiexx said:

It's kind of funny that the conners think Harris is too good for Aldo.   They're both losers, one is a miserable bitch and the other one is dumb as rocks is the only difference.  Harris herself told Darlene to have fun worrying if she was pregnant when she went off the pill earlier in the season.   Yeah, Aldo is older and should know better but I feel like they're on the same level.   I guess we're supposed to see Harris as a diamond in the rough for no real reason just like the Darlene character.

I did feel Darlene was sort of a diamond in the rough on the original show, because she came across so clever in her one-liners and had an interest in something. I've never felt like the Darlene on this show and the Darlene on that show were the same character. Maybe the actress' voice being so different on one show v. the other adds to that impression, lol.

Harris is a completely different story from Darlene on the original. Like you, I feel like Harris and Aldo are fairly equivalent. Harris would have a slightly better chance at college, but she's excruciatingly horrible where Aldo seems nice despite his faults. Like others, I have a feeling the Aldo-Harris marriage won't happen in the end. I believe the other two will though.

• Love 7

It's kind of funny that the conners think Harris is too good for Aldo.   They're both losers, one is a miserable bitch and the other one is dumb as rocks is the only difference.

Aldo is cartoonishly stupid. Like, he wouldn't have survived this long in real life stupid. It's kind of like how Mark got in the original series towards the end. When the characters really lean into cartoonish stereotypes, it means the writing is lazy. The show goes for the easiest jokes. 

Harris has been mostly unpleasant and abrasive all along but never struck me as cartoonishly stupid. If I was to try to rationalize her interest in Aldo I was have to assign it to desperation and defiance. It appears she's starting to see the light with Aldo after the discussion about having a baby, but it's hard to believe she'd ever been serious about someone so absurdly dumb. Again, it's just really lazy writing. 

• Love 7